PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 6 2017

bonarae
October 14th, 2017, 11:18 PM
First all-conference game week this season.

Princeton at Harvard - whose offense reigns supreme?
Columbia at Dartmouth - battle of the undefeated teams. Only one will become the front-runner for the trophy after this game.
Yale at Penn
Brown at Cornell

CHIP72
October 15th, 2017, 06:05 AM
The Princeton/Harvard game will be shown on the NBC Sports Network on Friday night. Meanwhile, that Columbia/Dartmouth tilt will be televised by Eleven Sports (Channel 597 on Verizon FiOS, and presumably available on various other cable and satellite systems).

Additionally, the Yale/Penn game will be broadcast on the Comcast Network (the former CN8) in various Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region locations on Comcast cable systems (EDIT - in the New York area, the game will also be televised on Comcast-owned SportsNet New York).

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Harvard -- mild upset here, but the Crimson have a good record in night games
Dartmouth
Yale
Cornell

Son of Eli
October 15th, 2017, 09:47 AM
First all-conference game week this season.

Princeton at Harvard - whose offense reigns supreme?
Columbia at Dartmouth - battle of the undefeated teams. Only one will become the front-runner for the trophy after this game.
Yale at Penn
Brown at Cornell

Princeton over Harvard. Harvard can't out score Princeton's potent offense.
Columbia over Dartmouth. Dartmouth is not as good as their record indicates. Their luck runs out Saturday.
Yale over Penn. Penn is already eliminated with two league losses. Not much to play for.
Brown over Cornell in the unemployment bowl. Winning coach gets to keep his job. Loser is fired after the season.

Go Green
October 15th, 2017, 09:52 AM
The Princeton/Harvard game will be shown on the NBC Sports Network on Friday night. Meanwhile, that Columbia/Dartmouth tilt will be televised by Eleven Sports (Channel 597 on Verizon FiOS, and presumably available on various other cable and satellite systems).

Its easy to see why Princeton-Harvard was selected for television and is being showcased on NBCSN (which I'm pretty sure has the largest reach of the networks showing Ivy games). Harvard is a consistent power and Princeton is the defending champ. And it should be a good game. Loser is effectively eliminated from the league race.

And I'm also sure that the league is breathing a huge sigh of relief that Dartmouth-Columbia is being shown somewhere. The winner of the game may end up being the de facto champion. Whoever put that game on the TV schedule deserves a pat on the back, because few if anyone expected the game to be significant before the season.

Go Green
October 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Brown over Cornell in the unemployment bowl. Winning coach gets to keep his job. Loser is fired after the season.

While I agree with the second prediction you make for this game, I'm not sure about the first...

Son of Eli
October 15th, 2017, 09:56 AM
While I agree with the second prediction you make for this game, I'm not sure about the first...

I just think Estes is a far better coach than Archer. Survival of the fittest.

Go Green
October 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I just think Estes is a far better coach than Archer. Survival of the fittest.

My response was inartfully worded. I agreed with your prediction that the losing coach was likely gone after the year, but was not sure that the winner would be retained.

Personally, I think Brown's players have given up on Estes. I think Cornell will win, but am not sure that Archer will be around for 2018.

CHIP72
October 15th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Its easy to see why Princeton-Harvard was selected for television and is being showcased on NBCSN (which I'm pretty sure has the largest reach of the networks showing Ivy games). Harvard is a consistent power and Princeton is the defending champ. And it should be a good game. Loser is effectively eliminated from the league race.

And I'm also sure that the league is breathing a huge sigh of relief that Dartmouth-Columbia is being shown somewhere. The winner of the game may end up being the de facto champion. Whoever put that game on the TV schedule deserves a pat on the back, because few if anyone expected the game to be significant before the season.

I wasn't trying to imply the Columbia/Dartmouth game is taking a backseat to Princeton/Harvard TV-wise; in fact I forgot to mention that Princeton/Harvard was being televised on NBCSN in my original post (overlooked it when I looked at the Ivy League TV schedule because it was on a different day)! Eleven Sports, which essentially the new name for the ONEWorld Network that televised some Ivy League games last season, does have national distribution. I watched part of the 10/14 Penn/Columbia game on Eleven Sports.

World
October 15th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Princeton at Harvard
Columbia at Dartmouth
Yale at Penn
Brown at Cornell

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Princeton - Princeton's offense should win the day
Dartmouth - Going with the home team. Could be another OT game
Yale - Yale should win, but I'm still worried
Brown - for no good reason except that Brown is not as bad as they looked yesterday (I think)

Green26
October 15th, 2017, 06:54 PM
My response was inartfully worded. I agreed with your prediction that the losing coach was likely gone after the year, but was not sure that the winner would be retained.

Personally, I think Brown's players have given up on Estes. I think Cornell will win, but am not sure that Archer will be around for 2018.

Go Green, you going to the Dartmouth/Brown game in Fenway? I just booked my trip. Staying for weekend. Saturday is Dartmouth Food Club annual meeting.

Go Green
October 15th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Go Green, you going to the Dartmouth/Brown game in Fenway? I just booked my trip. Staying for weekend. Saturday is Dartmouth Food Club annual meeting.

Yep!

Had to make a tough choice between the Fenway Game and my 1992 team's reunion the following week in Hanover.

Opted for the Fenway Game. I get to go to championship team reunions 3 out of every 5 years. :)

Green26
October 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Yep!

Had to make a tough choice between the Fenway Game and my 1992 team's reunion the following week in Hanover.

Opted for the Fenway Game. I get to go to championship team reunions 3 out of every 5 years. :)

Advantages of playing with Jay Fielder, perhaps.

Go Green
October 16th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Advantages of playing with Jay Fielder, perhaps.

He certainly helped! And he usually attends the reunions as well! :)

bonarae
October 21st, 2017, 06:58 PM
Final Scores:

Princeton 52, Harvard 17 - has the Murphy train come to a halt?
Columbia 22, Dartmouth 17 - so much for Dartmouth ...
Cornell 34, Brown 7
Yale 24, Penn 19