PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 7 2017

superman7515
October 14th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Another week in the books for the teams in the poll, so without further delay, here is this week's How They Fared spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XbTzafeAFQ35XNCX3VXGrtfUl7ZACJ8WKJ0KJyQLFw4/edit?usp=sharing

I'll try to get Sagarin & Massey updated in the morning, but Sagarin has been dragging his feet of late.

superman7515
October 14th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Any below the radar teams that don't show up on the spreadsheet and might be worth a look?

One that may or may not matter to your poll (and, as always, please note that I am not advocating for any teams, just drawing attention to performances that do not make the spreadsheet) saw the Duquesne Dukes win their 5th straight game with a 51-14 victory over the Robert Morris Colonials. Duquesne is now 5-1 and in first place in the NEC with their only loss coming in very lopsided fashion on the road against South Dakota State in Week 1.

Thumper 76
October 15th, 2017, 02:50 AM
Dusquene shouldn’t be ranked when they got boat raced by an awful SDSU team. They don’t deserve the top 50 when a team not worthy of top 25 does that to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 15th, 2017, 06:01 AM
There are quite a few teams that have been getting unjustified love. I believe we may see a poll shakeup this week the likes of which we have not seen in a long time.

wcugrad95
October 15th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Possibly in the AGS poll where people actually pay attention. I bet not so much in the other polls.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Dusquene shouldn’t be ranked when they got boat raced by an awful SDSU team. They don’t deserve the top 50 when a team not worthy of top 25 does that to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love hyperbole. The SDSU-Duquesne score was shocking! I remember watching it on our local Pittsburgh station. Duquesne usually has some really good 1st line players. The Dukes certainly could be a fringe Top 25 team at this point. I'm definitely considering ranking them....

SDSU is not "awful". Not even close.....

wcugrad95
October 15th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Some "good losses" (I understand it, but that still sounds like an oxymoron to me), but several not-so-good showings. In all, 6 of the top-16 lose this week. They aren't all going to fall out of the poll, but some will and the others may take larger falls than usual. And some of the losses might have people reconsidering the other teams that have played some of these 6 teams.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Somebody give me some incite on Kennesaw, they seem to be playing pretty well

kalm
October 15th, 2017, 08:56 AM

1-1 against two decent opponents.

wcugrad95
October 15th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Kennesaw certainly stands a great chance of winning at least their next 2 and getting to 7-1. Yesterday's win against Liberty is not necessarily real telling. I think there are as many recent examples of teams who are making the move to FBS laying some eggs in their last FCS season versus the ones that played well (App St a few years ago immediately comes to mind in my SoCon bias). So hard to tell, but at 5-1 they are certainly worth some attention in the polls, and if they get to 7-1 you'd have to give them some love in the polls.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2017, 09:26 AM
........DUQUESNE........BEAT ROBERT MORRIS...AS GOOD AS NORFF DAKOTAH STATE....AN' BETTERAH....DEN YOUNGSTOWN STATE............JES' SAYIN'..........xwhistlex......BRAWK!

Houndawg
October 15th, 2017, 09:29 AM
........DUQUESNE........BEAT ROBERT MORRIS...AS GOOD AS NORFF DAKOTAH STATE....AN' BETTERAH....DEN YOUNGSTOWN STATE............JES' SAYIN'..........xwhistlex......BRAWK!

I see that they're putting hemp seed in bird food again...Child Protective Services wouldn't allow that game to take place....

clenz
October 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I love hyperbole. The SDSU-Duquesne score was shocking! I remember watching it on our local Pittsburgh station. Duquesne usually has some really good 1st line players. The Dukes certainly could be a fringe Top 25 team at this point. I'm definitely considering ranking them....

How would you define UNI?

How about a team that was down by 4 TDS to UNI more than halfway through the fourth?

semobison
October 15th, 2017, 09:45 AM

How about a team that was down by 4 TDS to UNI more than halfway through the fourth?

UNI? On Any Given Saturday....They can beat almost anyone or...lose to almost anyone...Almost always dangerous...almost always incompetent!

kalm
October 15th, 2017, 09:52 AM

SUU approves of this as well as how SFA played against SHSU and UCA.

TheKingpin28
October 15th, 2017, 10:01 AM

UNI? On Any Given Saturday....They can beat almost anyone or...lose to almost anyone...Almost always dangerous...almost always incompetent!

This ^^^

They are the true definition of AGS of the FCS.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I see that they're putting hemp seed in bird food again...Child Protective Services wouldn't allow that game to take place....

......WHAT GAME.....xconfusedx........MAH POST WAS IN RESPONSE TA SUPER DUPER'S.......TA CONFIRM CONSIDERATION....FO' TOP 25 STATUS.......DUQUESNE HUNG SCORES ON RMU...AS GOOD AS N. DAK. ST.......AN' BETTERAH.......DEN Y-TOWN......DID......JES' SAYIN'.......AH COOD SEE AN ARGUMENT......FO' 'EM..............LEAST IT'S SOMEWHAT BETTERAH....REASONIN'.......DAN SOME UH SILLY ARGUMENTS GIVEN IN SUPPORT UH....OTHERAH TEAMS......LIKE FEW WEEKS BACK.........ON AUSTIN PEAY....AN' SUCH........AH'D...LIKE UH POUND O' SEED.....IFIN' YA CAN SPARE....DOUGH......xsighx....DOODLE-DOO!

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Stony Brook comes back to win at UNH and stays true to their typical script of unpredictability. In the CAA every year they can beat anyone or lose to anyone. What a minefield that league is. Damn the end of that Delaware game last week.

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Of course SDSU dumptrucked Duquesne and they (SDSU) look like a bottom end of the top 25 team.

On another note... I felt dirty having to move SHSU up after their incredibly uninspiring win against Northwester St but practically everyone within spitting distance of them in my poll lost (including the team directly in from of them).

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Of course SDSU dumptrucked Duquesne and they (SDSU) look like a bottom end of the top 25 team.

On another note... I felt dirty having to move SHSU up after their incredibly uninspiring win against Northwester St but practically everyone within spitting distance of them in my poll lost (including the team directly in from of them).

......ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.............DOODLE-DOO!

FUBeAR
October 15th, 2017, 11:04 AM

The KSU Owls, in their entire history, have NEVER defeated a full scholarship FCS Team with a winning record.

2 weeks ago, the Owls were 16 seconds away from a loss to a D2 Team with a losing record.

4th - 00:16
KSU - BURKS, Chandler 1 yd run (THOMPSON, J kick ), 12 plays, 74 yards, TOP 4:43

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Voting is so brutal anymore. Every time I thought a team looked very lackluster in a win I can’t drop them because everyone behind them lost. Every team I want to give a bump up has an ugly game.

Hammersmith
October 15th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Another week in the books for the teams in the poll, so without further delay, here is this week's How They Fared spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XbTzafeAFQ35XNCX3VXGrtfUl7ZACJ8WKJ0KJyQLFw4/edit?usp=sharing

I'll try to get Sagarin & Massey updated in the morning, but Sagarin has been dragging his feet of late.

Sagarin (and Massey?) won't be out until late afternoon Sunday. Akron/WMU is a noon Sunday game.

And you can try the USA Today webpage for Sagarin if it isn't up on his own site. A couple years back, his own site was always updated first, now it seems like it's USA Today.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2017, 12:20 PM

It's hard to tell (I'm not a Big South guy, but I've watched them from a distance). They're 5-1, but in like their 3rd(?) year as a program. They're very inconsistent. They lost to Samford, which was a quality loss, but probably should have won.

To demonstrate their inconsistency, they beat a decent (yet slipping) Liberty team and played Samford tough, but they also managed to play a down-to-the-wire game against division 2 North Greenville.

This week will be a good measuring stick, as weird as that sounds. Gardner Webb is 1-5, 0-4 in FCS, but all of GW's losses were against teams who haven't lost to anyone who wasn't either FBS or ranked in the FCS (22-1 overall with the 1 coming when Wofford beat Western...GW played both).

I'd say if Kennesaw beats GW by 14 points or more, they deserve some votes. The Big South is very interest to watch this year, as most of the teams like to run the ball a lot, which keeps scores kind of low so nothing comes off as impressive.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2017, 12:35 PM
It's hard to tell (I'm not a Big South guy, but I've watched them from a distance). They're 5-1, but in like their 3rd(?) year as a program. They're very inconsistent. They lost to Samford, which was a quality loss, but probably should have won.

To demonstrate their inconsistency, they beat a decent (yet slipping) Liberty team and played Samford tough, but they also managed to play a down-to-the-wire game against division 2 North Greenville.

This week will be a good measuring stick, as weird as that sounds. Gardner Webb is 1-5, 0-4 in FCS, but all of GW's losses were against teams who haven't lost to anyone who wasn't either FBS or ranked in the FCS (22-1 overall with the 1 coming when Wofford beat Western...GW played both).

I'd say if Kennesaw beats GW by 14 points or more, they deserve some votes. The Big South is very interest to watch this year, as most of the teams like to run the ball a lot, which keeps scores kind of low so nothing comes off as impressive.Thanks, I went and looked a little closer at them, I didn't put them in my poll because of their SOS but the Liberty game was a little bit of a surprise maybe. The poll was really tough this week. I almost had to put an Ivy in there and probably will next week if these teams at the bottom keep messing up.

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2017, 02:36 PM

They sure as hell aren't a top 10 or even 15 team.

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I went and looked a little closer at them, I didn't put them in my poll because of their SOS but the Liberty game was a little bit of a surprise maybe. The poll was really tough this week. I almost had to put an Ivy in there and probably will next week if these teams at the bottom keep messing up.
Like youngterrier pointed out Liberty is in a swoon. The teams they beat have a combined D1 record of 1-17 and that one win is non-scholly Morehead St over non-scholly Dayton (of course one of those wins is still over Big 12 Baylor). They've now lost 3 straight including one to partial scholly St Francis. I can't really give anyone too much credit for beating Liberty at this point. Kennesaw St has been on my personal top 25 watch list for most of the season now though.

tomq04
October 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I'm confused with Weber & Southern Utah now.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2017, 03:19 PM

For sure. Weber has a better resume, but just lost H2H

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2017, 03:24 PM
This isn't really relevant to this thread, but to follow up on my comment about Gardner Webb, I think they are an average to below average team that's worthy of our pity.

They are 1-5, 0-4 against FCS. Their losses are to:
Ranked Wofford (6-0)
Ranked NC A&T (6-0)
Ranked Western Carolina (5-1 against FCS)
Receiving Votes NCCU (undefeated in FCS)

So Gardner Webb has probably had the most brutal OOC of anyone because their FCS opponents this year are as good as they could be (Western's sole loss was to Wofford)

cx500d
October 15th, 2017, 03:42 PM

Yep, me too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2017, 03:44 PM
This is my preseason Top 10. I was high on UCA and Wofford coming into the year. I like both teams. Wofford is tough as nails and UCA is built like a MVFC team imo.

1: James Madison Dukes
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Sam Houston State Bearkats
4: Wofford Terriers
5: Youngstown State Penguins
6: New Hampshire Wildcats
7: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
8: Central Arkansas Bears
9: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
10: Richmond Spiders

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Out of quota and will try to send out the accumulated votes for each hour at the top of the hour or shortly after it. That means you go check your ballot about an hour or two after submitting it from this point until midnight Montana time.

kalm
October 15th, 2017, 07:34 PM
For sure. Weber has a better resume, but just lost H2H

How does Weber have a better resume? They seem like a push to me.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Probably right. Weber had a better resume before they lost to SUU. Now it is a push.

tomq04
October 15th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Probably right. Weber had a better resume before they lost to SUU. Now it is a push.

I submitted mine with Weber in and SUU out, I want to take it back.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I submitted mine with Weber in and SUU out, I want to take it back.

Then why have you not replied to the email to request a change. I won't do this very often but you've never asked before so it's worth a shot ain't it?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 16th, 2017, 02:10 AM
This isn't really relevant to this thread, but to follow up on my comment about Gardner Webb, I think they are an average to below average team that's worthy of our pity.

They are 1-5, 0-4 against FCS. Their losses are to:
Ranked Wofford (6-0)
Ranked NC A&T (6-0)
Ranked Western Carolina (5-1 against FCS)
Receiving Votes NCCU (undefeated in FCS)

So Gardner Webb has probably had the most brutal OOC of anyone because their FCS opponents this year are as good as they could be (Western's sole loss was to Wofford)

Hmmmm... I just can't see voting for any team that would get their ass kicked by Rhode Island. xdrunkyx xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 16th, 2017, 02:16 AM
This is my preseason Top 10. I was high on UCA and Wofford coming into the year. I like both teams. Wofford is tough as nails and UCA is built like a MVFC team imo.

1: James Madison Dukes
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Sam Houston State Bearkats
4: Wofford Terriers
5: Youngstown State Penguins
6: New Hampshire Wildcats
7: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
8: Central Arkansas Bears
9: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
10: Richmond Spiders

I am not really sure how you missed on Elon and South Dakota. ;)

But seriously, good preseason scouting. I'm still not sold on Richmond or YSU. And SHSU has been fortunate not to have fallen farther. New Hampshire and SDSU are paper tigers.

I think by season's end Villanova will be back in the mix. I think taking off the redshirt of QB McCloskey will give them enough firepower to squeak by some tough remaining games and their defense is as solid as ever. EWU is also working its way back up the ranks and I expect them to be a factor in the postseason this year.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Will this be the week where Illinois state drops three spots ?

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2017, 06:41 AM

If anyone is voting for them after the last two weeks...

mvemjsunpx
October 16th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Because they didn't get blown out by Sac. They also played their unranked Pac-12 opponent much closer than SUU played theirs.

I'm also skeptical this result will be indicative of how SUU plays the rest of the year. It seems they were almost dedicating their whole season to getting revenge for blowing a 22-point lead against Weber last year, and I wonder if they'll show the same intensity in subsequent games.

Bison56
October 16th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Wofford should be #1, just ask them.

wcugrad95
October 16th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Prepare for the thread to grow exponentially (in both number and length of posts)

kalm
October 16th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Because they didn't get blown out by Sac. They also played their unranked Pac-12 opponent much closer than SUU played theirs.

I'm also skeptical this result will be indicative of how SUU plays the rest of the year. It seems they were almost dedicating their whole season to getting revenge for blowing a 22-point lead against Weber last year, and I wonder if they'll show the same intensity in subsequent games.

I recognize those points, still seems like a push unless SDSU and the SLC frontrunners are truly that bad this year.

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Wofford should be #1, just ask them.

No.

Hambone
October 16th, 2017, 08:46 AM
This weeks poll sucks.......

BisonFan02
October 16th, 2017, 09:01 AM
This weeks poll sucks.......

Not as much as your football program right now. :D xcoffeex

DirtyDukes
October 16th, 2017, 09:02 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to superman7515 again.

DirtyDukes
October 16th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Also I promise to Bison fans not to question their ranking after a close win they same way they always did ours.

BisonFan02
October 16th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Also I promise to Bison fans not to question their ranking after a close win they same way they always did ours.

You should. I did.

Hambone
October 16th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Not as much as your football program right now. :D xcoffeex

xslapfightxxasswhipxxarguexxtroublex

xpeacexxbeerchugx

superman7515
October 16th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Hey, if 1-5 UNI was a Top 25 team with zero Division 1 wins and a four game losing streak, I never say never.

HensRock
October 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Any below the radar teams that don't show up on the spreadsheet and might be worth a look?

I would say Southern Utah should be a "team of interest". 4-2 and just beat AGS #14 Weber St.

dewey
October 16th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I would say Southern Utah should be a "team of interest". 4-2 and just beat AGS #14 Weber St.

Plus they beat UNI earlier this year but then got whooped by Sacramento State (54-27), struggled against Cal Poly (20-14 SUU win). Hard to figure out a team like that.

Dewey

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Hey, if 1-5 UNI was a Top 25 team with zero Division 1 wins and a four game losing streak, I never say never.

When did that happen?

HensRock
October 16th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Yes Dewey, the loss to Sac State is a head-scratcher. But Sac State is actually a .500 team this year. No world beaters, but not the automatic "W" of years past either.

kalm
October 16th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Yes Dewey, the loss to Sac State is a head-scratcher. But Sac State is actually a .500 team this year. No world beaters, but not the automatic "W" of years past either.

And SUU's QB Tyler was out for that game. The Tbirds looked worlds better than SHSU and UCA against SFA.

clenz
October 16th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Plus they beat UNI earlier this year but then got whooped by Sacramento State (54-27), struggled against Cal Poly (20-14 SUU win). Hard to figure out a team like that.

Dewey
UNI beat themselves that game.
UNI also beat Cal Poly

Lord knows I'm not about to tell anyone to vote for UNI (I sure didn't) but for almost any team for spots 15-25 you want to put out I can match with UNI.

clenz
October 16th, 2017, 09:49 AM
When did that happen?
It didn't. Don't let that UNI being ranked hate get in the way of making a stretched point though.

UNI started 2012 #6 after finishing 2011 at #3.

Lost to Wisconsin by 5 in week 1 moved to #5
Beat Central State by 59 in week 2 and to #4
Lost to Iowa by 8 in week 3 and moved to #6
UNI lost to YSU by 7 in week 4 and fell to #16

Never came close to the top 25 again.

So the real story is two 1 score losses to FBS teams and a 1 score loss to a top 25 FCS team knocked UNI out in the first half of the season. Doesn't fit the narrative that people love about UNI though, so the need to exaggerate is clear.

BisonFan02
October 16th, 2017, 09:51 AM
It didn't. Don't let that UNI being ranked hate get in the way of making a stretched point though.

Yeah....its not like it's Delaware or anything. :D

superman7515
October 16th, 2017, 09:57 AM
When did that happen?

Week 7, 2012 right after UNI lost to Southern Illinois, their only win of the year to that point being over Central State.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2017, 09:59 AM
This week was insanely difficult imo. Outside of the top 7 or 8 it's a cluster F.

YSU needs a win to keep the mojo going...

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Week 7, 2012 right after UNI lost to Southern Illinois, their only win of the year to that point being over Central State.
They weren't ranked after Week 7 (link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17r1I5TZNIXE_pzejTmY2kv0LnDLCAj8o_iS0CHE03uo/edit#gid=8)). They were ranked #24 after losing to NDSU to drop to 1-4 in Week 5 and ranked again at #25 during Week 6 (which was their bye). They dropped out finally after their loss to SIU in Week 7 but they probably should've earlier.

To be fair their losses were to Big 10 teams Iowa and Wisconsin and then AGS #1 NDSU and AGS #2 YSU. All 4 losses were by a combined 35 points.

clenz
October 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM
They weren't ranked after Week 7 (link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17r1I5TZNIXE_pzejTmY2kv0LnDLCAj8o_iS0CHE03uo/edit#gid=8)). They were ranked #24 after losing to NDSU to drop to 1-4 in Week 5 and ranked again at #25 during Week 6 (which was their bye). They dropped out finally after their loss to SIU in Week 7 but they probably should've earlier.

To be fair their losses were to Big 10 teams Iowa and Wisconsin and then AGS #1 NDSU and AGS #2 YSU.
When voting based on record, that doesn't matter.

Rank the 25 best records.

superman7515
October 16th, 2017, 10:09 AM
When did that happen?

UNI started 2012 #6 after finishing 2011 at #3.

Lost to Wisconsin by 5 in week 1 moved to #5
Beat Central State by 59 in week 2 and to #4
Lost to Iowa by 8 in week 3 and moved to #6
UNI lost to YSU by 7 in week 4 and fell to #16

Never came close to the top 25 again.

So the real story is two 1 score losses to FBS teams and a 1 score loss to a top 25 FCS team knocked UNI out in the first half of the season. Doesn't fit the narrative that people love about UNI though, so the need to exaggerate is clear.

Are you talking about the AGS poll or something else? Because this thread is about the AGS poll, and you're either looking at something else or flat out lying.

Week 1 - #6 UNI lost at Wisconsin
Week 2 - #5 UNI beat Central State
Week 3 - #4 UNI lost at Iowa
Week 4 - #6 UNI lost at Youngstown State
Week 5 - #15 UNI lost vs NDSU
Week 6 - #24 UNI had a bye
Week 7 - #25 UNI lost at Southern Illinois
Week 8 - #34 UNI won vs SDSU
Week 9 - #31 UNI lost vs Illinois State
Week 10 - #40 UNI won vs Western Illinois
Week 11 - #36 UNI won at South Dakota
Week 12 - #36 UNI won vs Missouri State

They received Top 25 votes every single week, the idea they didn't sniff the Top 25 after Week 4 is a patent lie, they continued to be ranked in the Top 25 into Week 7 and with a 1-6 record against D1 competition were still #31, which is a far cry from not sniffing the Top 25.

superman7515
October 16th, 2017, 10:12 AM

To be fair their losses were to Big 10 teams Iowa and Wisconsin and then AGS #1 NDSU and AGS #2 YSU. All 4 losses were by a combined 35 points.

I never said they were ranked, I said if they were a Top 25 team at 1-5 with zero D1 wins, then never say never. They continued to receive Top 25 votes in every week of the season, so some people felt they were a Top 25 team. My point was only if people felt that way, you shouldn't assume anything about movement within the poll.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I never said they were ranked, I said if they were a Top 25 team at 1-5 with zero D1 wins, then never say never. They continued to receive Top 25 votes in every week of the season, so some people felt they were a Top 25 team. My point was only if people felt that way, you shouldn't assume anything about movement within the poll.
Some people voted for Maine last week too. I don't consider that being a top 25 team. IMO everyone after #25 is ORV which means there are some out there who feel you are but the consensus is you're not a top 25 team.

Catbooster
October 16th, 2017, 11:09 AM

I agree. I gave Weber the benefit of the doubt this week for the same reasons. I'm not convinced this isn't an "Any Given Saturday" result.

And Weber's starting QB was out for a fair chunk of this game.