PDA

View Full Version : As a fan, which game would you rather attend?

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Bayou classic in New Orleans: Grambling vs Southern

or

Celebration bowl in Atlanta: MEAC vs SWAC.

cx500d
October 9th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Bayou classic: Grambling vs Southern

or

Celebration bowl: MEAC vs SWAC.

Whichever one promised a better game which is probably the celebration bowl.

UNHWildcat18
October 9th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Bayou classic: Grambling vs Southern

or

Celebration bowl: MEAC vs SWAC.

What city are each of these in?

TheKingpin28
October 9th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Bayou in New Orleans and it is not even close. Grambling VS Southern is a tradition, the Celebration Bowl is not. I actually have the Bayou as one of 3 games on my bucket list that are a must. That and the Brawl of the Wild @ Wa-Griz and The Game @ Harvard.

cx500d
October 9th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Bayou in New Orleans and it is not even close. Grambling VS Southern is a tradition, the Celebration Bowl is not. I actually have the Bayou as one of 3 games on my bucket list that are a must. ...
But for the Bayou Classic, neither team has to be good, they just need to be Grambling and Southern. It could be as good as the Cornhole Classic between the worst team in the Pioneer against the worst team in the Patriot league.

ST_Lawson
October 9th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Bayou in New Orleans and it is not even close. Grambling VS Southern is a tradition, the Celebration Bowl is not. I actually have the Bayou as one of 3 games on my bucket list that are a must. That and the Brawl of the Wild @ Wa-Griz and The Game @ Harvard.

Same for me...my football bucket list includes those three, plus seeing a game at the Fargodome, and barring The Brawl...a game at Wa-Griz.

Also, I'm a band guy. Even though I've never played the traditional HBCU-style stuff, it's one of those halftime shows that I feel like I have to see in person some day. Wouldn't be too hard to get to either since I can take the train down from Chicago.

TheKingpin28
October 9th, 2017, 09:49 PM
But for the Bayou Classic, neither team has to be good, they just need to be Grambling and Southern. It could be as good as the Cornhole Classic between the worst team in the Pioneer against the worst team in the Patriot league.

That game is like most HBCU Classics, go for the atmosphere/music and stay for the food.

SUPharmacist
October 9th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Bayou, traditions in sports generally stick around for a reason.

wcugrad95
October 9th, 2017, 10:33 PM

Don't think I saw the reply to this. It was stated that the Bayou is in New Orleans, but the Celebration Bowl I believe is played in Atlanta (now in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium).

CHIP72
October 9th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Neither - I'd almost definitely have no interest in any of the teams.

uni88
October 10th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Bayou in New Orleans and it is not even close. Grambling VS Southern is a tradition, the Celebration Bowl is not. I actually have the Bayou as one of 3 games on my bucket list that are a must. That and the Brawl of the Wild @ Wa-Griz and The Game @ Harvard.+1 and I'd add Lehigh/Lafayette to the list.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Winterborn
October 10th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Bayou hands down. Also would like to see a Ivy game or two here one of these days.

KPSUL
October 10th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Celebration

Bison56
October 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Bayou only because I love New Orleans.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2017, 09:06 AM
I would go to the Bayou game, go to New Orleans and then skip the game.

walliver
October 10th, 2017, 09:28 AM
The Bayou Classic hands down.

I haven't been to the game, but have been in the quarter over that weekend. N'Awlins is a great party town. Atlanta is nothing but urban sprawl and has no attraction to me.

ASU33
October 10th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Bayou classic in New Orleans: Grambling vs Southern

or

Celebration bowl in Atlanta: MEAC vs SWAC.

Tough choice. The Bayou Classic is always special. Great crowd, electric atmosphere, and usually great game. The Celebration Bowl's atmosphere depends on the two teams who make it there. You get the right mix of teams in the Celebration Bowl and it's just as exciting as the Bayou Classic but you get an unlikely matchup like Delaware State and Mississippi Valley then the atmosphere would be dead. Also the Celebration Bowl is in the new Mercedes Benz Stadium which is a must see.

ASU33
October 10th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Bayou Classic-Superdome New Orleans

Celebration Bowl- Mercedes-Benz Stadium Atlanta

OhioHen
October 10th, 2017, 10:26 AM
No contest - New Orleans > Atlanta. Identity of participating schools is irrelevant to this discussion.

CockyGeek
October 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Which of these games can I drink at?

ASU33
October 10th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Which of these games can I drink at?

They sell alcohol at both!

citdog
October 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM
They sell alcohol at both!

They won't have enough booze to make either game look like GOOD football.

BisonTru
October 10th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Celebration. If I have to watch bad football at least give me the best of the bad football. xdrunkyx

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Tough choice. The Bayou Classic is always special. Great crowd, electric atmosphere, and usually great game. The Celebration Bowl's atmosphere depends on the two teams who make it there. You get the right mix of teams in the Celebration Bowl and it's just as exciting as the Bayou Classic but you get an unlikely matchup like Delaware State and Mississippi Valley then the atmosphere would be dead. Also the Celebration Bowl is in the new Mercedes Benz Stadium which is a must see.
I forgot about the new stadium.

nevadagriz
October 10th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Bayou classic, can't beat the food. I would go for the beignet and crawfish stay for the game! After a few hurricanes all football is great!

Milktruck74
October 10th, 2017, 05:46 PM
No interest. I hate to watch bad football. I can barely watch my Mocs this season, why would I want to add to the pain?

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I went with the Bayou, primarily for the tailgating and bands. The right matchup in the Celebration Bowl would be great though.

ASU33
October 10th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I went with the Bayou, primarily for the tailgating and bands. The right matchup in the Celebration Bowl would be great though.

There isn't much traditional tailgating done at the Bayou Classic. The area around the Super Bowl is packed and has a few concert stages set up but it isn't your typical tailgating atmosphere. Also with the Bayou Classic you'll want to make sure you catch the Battle of The Bands and Step Show on Friday Night and the Bayou Classic Parade on Friday morning.

RabidRabbit
October 10th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Bayou classic, can't beat the food. I would go for the beignet and crawfish stay for the game! After a few hurricanes all football is great! As long as those Hurricanes aren't Rita, Katrina, Harvey, Irma, Maria or Sandy types.

Yeah, Bayou Classic, New Orleans, Jambalaya, crawfish etouffee.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2017, 06:20 PM
There isn't much traditional tailgating done at the Bayou Classic. The area around the Super Bowl is packed and has a few concert stages set up but it isn't your typical tailgating atmosphere. Also with the Bayou Classic you'll want to make sure you catch the Battle of The Bands and Step Show on Friday Night and the Bayou Classic Parade on Friday morning.
Of course. I just mean all the festivities. I need to catch the Chicago classic sometime since it is much closer.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as those Hurricanes aren't Rita, Katrina, Harvey, Irma, Maria or Sandy types.

New Orleans is great. Especially when you have a great host. ;)

Winterborn
October 10th, 2017, 07:03 PM
As long as those Hurricanes aren't Rita, Katrina, Harvey, Irma, Maria or Sandy types.

I don't know about you, but if I am getting a hurricane, I really don't want a small one. xthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
October 10th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Of course. I just mean all the festivities. I need to catch the Chicago classic sometime since it is much closer.

Oh man, I keep forgetting about that one. I always think of the "classics" as being down south. I can hop on the train here in Macomb, be in downtown Chicago in 3 hours, then it's just a short bus ride to Soldier Field. That's a pretty darn easy trip. I gotta get over to that one some day.

NorthChuckSouth
October 10th, 2017, 08:45 PM
No contest - New Orleans > Atlanta. Identity of participating schools is irrelevant to this discussion.

^^^^^^^^

RowdyRabbit
October 10th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Didn't vote, never heard of either of them.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Didn't vote, never heard of either of them.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26273&stc=1

GAD
October 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26273&stc=1
He's probably in one of those areas of the country where they don't have TV yet

ASU33
October 11th, 2017, 01:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

New Orleans is great. Especially when you have a great host. ;)

Panther Rob The Chicago Classic is announcing the teams for next year's game and from everything I've seen it looks like it will be Grambling vs Tennessee State which would be a huge turnout up there!

ASU33
October 11th, 2017, 01:23 PM
[B]

Panther Rob The Chicago Classic is announcing the teams for next year's game and from everything I've seen it looks like it will be Grambling vs Tennessee State which would be a huge turnout up there!

Correction, Tennessee State is playing in the Circle City Classic in Indy against Hampton. No opponent for Grambling has been named yet.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Correction, Tennessee State is playing in the Circle City Classic in Indy against Hampton. No opponent for Grambling has been named yet.

How about FAMU? :)

McNeese72
October 11th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Well, if McNeese was in the playoffs and playing at the same time, my answer would be neither. If not it would be the Bayou Classic. Would have to go pull for Coach Fobbs. Always liked him when he was at McNeese.

Doc

ASU33
October 11th, 2017, 06:19 PM

That's one of the teams being talked about. Hopefully we'll know soon.

Bisonoline
October 11th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I would have to go with which one had the best food options.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Possibly.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2017, 07:29 PM
That's one of the teams being talked about. Hopefully we'll know soon.

Possibly.

I would definitely have to put that one on the calendar. I’d love to see PVAM, NCAT, NCCU or a few others in there as well

FormerPokeCenter
October 11th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I've covered a couple of the Bayou Classics....and...man....it's a show. Everybody is dressed to the nines. It's crazy how all-out the fans go. It's seriously like a fashion show...

The Battle of the Bands and the Step show earlier in the weekend are pretty cool....and the halftime performances are top notch...

The football is often "Meh"....but the total experience? You gotta see it.

One year I watched the halftime show from down on the field at the 50 yard line.

It was awesome...