PDA

View Full Version : Tom Arth: Defensive Coach of the Year?

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2017, 06:53 AM
He has figured out a way to hold the Mocs Offense to 200 yards per game and has completely shut down the running game!!!!!

chattownmocs
October 9th, 2017, 07:05 AM
In his "defense," Its not his fault the NFL raided the best pieces of his staff before they ever got started. It's not his fault kennington Cadwell decided to become a drug kingpin and Townson and Revis decided to forego their senior year. That's 3 guys who would be among our best 4 lineman. Not his fault Bennifield was suspended and then got absolutely destroyed as soon as he came back. That said, no excuse for the offense to be this bad. Absolutely no excuse for the defense to be anywhere near this bad, Dale Warren or not.

Now, this D1 football, major step up from D3. But you can't be as bad of a football coach as he appears to be and do what he did at John Carroll. I guess we will see but I still have a measure of hope that this is just a steep learning. We may lose every other game, but we will beat citdogs boys, I'm telling you.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2017, 07:47 AM
In his "defense," Its not his fault the NFL raided the best pieces of his staff before they ever got started. It's not his fault kennington Cadwell decided to become a drug kingpin and Townson and Revis decided to forego their senior year. That's 3 guys who would be among our best 4 lineman. Not his fault Bennifield was suspended and then got absolutely destroyed as soon as he came back. That said, no excuse for the offense to be this bad. Absolutely no excuse for the defense to be anywhere near this bad, Dale Warren or not.

Now, this D1 football, major step up from D3. But you can't be as bad of a football coach as he appears to be and do what he did at John Carroll. I guess we will see but I still have a measure of hope that this is just a steep learning. We may lose every other game, but we will beat citdogs boys, I'm telling you.

UTC looked a lot like the Furman team I had become accustomed to watching the last few years. No real offensive identity. Despite having impressive talent, they looked outmatched and out-coached.

Even Coach Hendrix said that UTC, on film, had the most impressive athletes of any FCS team Furman will see. Especially on defense.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I think comparing this UTC's offensive performance to anything Furman had in the last 5 years is not fair to those Furman teams

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I think comparing this UTC's offensive performance to anything Furman had in the last 5 years is not fair to those Furman teams

We had some ugly numbers in 2013-2015.

Numbers aside, the visuals are sort of the same. It's as though the coaching staff is force-feeding the offense to the players, instead of designing an offense around the players.

JSUSoutherner
October 9th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Give it a couple years. The offense will improve as the O line improves.

Part of your guy's problem is you've only had a real QB for like 2 quarters this year. Everybody's stacking the box and daring whoever to throw the ball. We had 8 in the box most of the night against you guys.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Give it a couple years. The offense will improve as the O line improves.

Part of your guy's problem is you've only had a real QB for like 2 quarters this year. Everybody's stacking the box and daring whoever to throw the ball. We had 8 in the box most of the night against you guys.

Casual observation, but UTC's offensive line looked out of shape. Struck me that this disaster of a season may well have begun in the spring and summer with conditioning and the weight room.

They either have to commit to the run, or abandon it. They aren't good enough to run the offense they are running. Copeland took a bunch of hits against Furman, and after two other QBs are down, you gotta do something to protect those guys.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2017, 09:30 AM
There's an excellent breakdown of Chattanooga's performance this week on the FCS wedge xawesomex

But seriously, Copeland completed his first 8 passes for 120 yards and a touchdown...but then Furman realized Chatt had no pass game and was able to adjust. Copeland will be absolutely dangerous if Chatt develops a run game. I don't think that will happen.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2017, 10:26 AM
There's an excellent breakdown of Chattanooga's performance this week on the FCS wedge xawesomex

But seriously, Copeland completed his first 8 passes for 120 yards and a touchdown...but then Furman realized Chatt had no pass game and was able to adjust. Copeland will be absolutely dangerous if Chatt develops a run game. I don't think that will happen.

He came out and threw a number of simple quick completions, which I expected from a new QB. He had two nice long balls on the first two drives that were impressive throws.

After those first two drives, though, Furman seemed to figure what UTC could do offensively. The lion's share of the Mocs yardage came on their first two possessions. After that, it was 34-10 before UTC would score again.

walliver
October 9th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I expected Arth and staff to take a while to adjust to D-1, so Moc fans shouldn't go all Georgia Southern on him yet. He does know how to win football games. Player deconditioning is a position coach, not head coach, issue.

I almost wonder if Huesman saw this coming and took off for the hills.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I expected Arth and staff to take a while to adjust to D-1, so Moc fans shouldn't go all Georgia Southern on him yet. He does know how to win football games. Player deconditioning is a position coach, not head coach, issue.

I almost wonder if Huesman saw this coming and took off for the hills.

Not sure what he could have seen. UTC has talented players. They lost some good ones, but every team loses good players every year.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2017, 01:14 PM
My initial comment is some good self-deprevating ribbing of my team. I'm not quite ready to give up on Coach Arth yet, or the team...The season, on the other hand is done. Maybe pop one off late that ruins someones Conference bid, but that is all. I expected a lot out of TA, and was one of the few that was high on him coming in. I still think he can do it, but I hope he can improve the staff in the off season to bring in a few guys that make game time adjustments!!!! That is my biggest beef this season, I don't see any adjustments.