PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ James Madison

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2017, 08:32 AM
#14 Villanova (4-2; 2-1) @ #1 James Madison (5-0; 2-0)

Saturday 330pm @ Bridgeforth Stadium

JMU leads series 14-11

Last meeting: 11/12/2016 JMU Won 20-7
Last Villanova Win: 2014 - Villanova 49-31

DirtyDukes
October 8th, 2017, 08:33 AM
GT you coming down?

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2017, 08:39 AM
GT you coming down?
Yes sir.

KPSUL
October 8th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Is the ESPN Game Day visit still a possibility, or is it off the table?

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Gang tackle, are some of your starters going to be Game day ready ?

The Dukie's aren't playing up to last years level if you ask me

should be a great ball game down to the wire type and I wouldn't be that surprised if nova pulls of the upset

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Gang tackle, are some of your starters going to be Game day ready ?

The Dukie's aren't playing up to last years level if you ask me

should be a great ball game down to the wire type and I wouldn't be that surprised if nova pulls of the upset

This will be a tough one for sure. I doubt you will see many if any back soon. It’s been a next man up mentality.
The goal is to get to 8 wins & FCS playoffs. That means 4-1 the rest of the way. How they get there isn’t the goal.

Our defense is really playing lights out. JMU will give them their biggest test to date. Playing there doesn’t help, but Nova will show up & play.

They totally took Maine out of their game. Couldn’t run & exposed their passing game. 6 Maine turnovers (4 ints).

We’ll see if Nova defense can set up our offense or wilt due to lack of a consistent offense.

We also have a solid kicking game now. The punter is as good as there is in the CAA & we make FGs now. 2 from 46 in each of the last 2 games.,

Still JMU is a very tall task.

DirtyDukes
October 8th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Yes sir.

Nice! Hopefully it'll be for GameDay ;)

You'll have to stop by our tailgate - we'll have plenty of food options and alcohol in all shapes and sizes.

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2017, 12:21 PM
You all got gameday. Show the FCS some love again.

Oh and go Nova?

vutomcat
October 8th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Cats will have their work cut out for them.

Defense allowing opponents only 7 per game in regulation last 5 games. Should allow them to stay in the game.

Offense needs to score once or twice and hold onto the ball.

Maybe one or two of the injured players will return. I really thought Hofge was going to help this year. Been a while (Norman white?) sine we had a rangy deep threat.

Punter is a real strength and the new kicker changes how we handle situations inside the 30.

Last time nova had two shutouts was in 1966!!

Nova09
October 8th, 2017, 12:45 PM
With gameday official I'll have to try to make this trip

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM

In their folks defines the typical Nova football fan

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I'm living in Richmond. Had I not had a prior work engagement I would definitely come down for this

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Good luck trying to get tickets to the game. I believe it sold out weeks ago. There are some tickets available on the secondary market i.e. Stubhub for a starting price of $114 per seat. Safe travels if you make the trip.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 01:18 PM
College game day's second visit to the Burg in three years. It's going to be fun.

VU fans may want to take this in as well. Your wildcats will get some representation throughout. UR had cheerleaders, the mascot and a number of mentions. A handful of UR fans even showed up. It was a fun time.... the game not so much.

The game is already sold out, so stub hub or any tickets VU still has through their office is your only option for the game.

vutomcat
October 8th, 2017, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;2543688]In their folks defines the typical Nova football fan[/QUOTE

An fcs forum poster who follows the football team is not a typical Nova fan.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 01:38 PM
This is music to my ears after the last CGD game against UR.

Houston said his players will not see the set of the show like they did a few seasons ago.

“I talked about it with the kids [this past Sunday] just because I wanted to go ahead and get it out there,” Houston said. “It’s been a rumor for a few weeks but we hadn’t even broached the subject. We just ignored it, but we talked about it [this past Sunday] and I reminded the older kids that maybe a mistake that was made the last time was that there was too much focus from the team on GameDay being here.

“As far as we’re concerned, we’re not involved at all. We’re going to focus on Villanova and that is it. You’re not going to see us at GameDay, we’re going to be a long ways off in some hotel hold up and we’re going to keep our schedule as it always is because at the end of the day, the most important part of the day is not a visit from College GameDay. As prestigious as it is, the most important part of the day, is the Villanova game.”

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM
This is music to my ears after the last CGD game against UR.

Houston said his players will not see the set of the show like they did a few seasons ago.

“I talked about it with the kids [this past Sunday] just because I wanted to go ahead and get it out there,” Houston said. “It’s been a rumor for a few weeks but we hadn’t even broached the subject. We just ignored it, but we talked about it [this past Sunday] and I reminded the older kids that maybe a mistake that was made the last time was that there was too much focus from the team on GameDay being here.

“As far as we’re concerned, we’re not involved at all. We’re going to focus on Villanova and that is it. You’re not going to see us at GameDay, we’re going to be a long ways off in some hotel hold up and we’re going to keep our schedule as it always is because at the end of the day, the most important part of the day is not a visit from College GameDay. As prestigious as it is, the most important part of the day, is the Villanova game.”

Agreed. I was incensed when I saw Everett Withers bring out the team before the Richmond game. They should have no part in it.

vutomcat
October 8th, 2017, 01:58 PM
The last time nova had two shutouts in one season was 1966...

Schism55
October 8th, 2017, 02:05 PM
The last time nova had two shutouts in one season was 1966...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26258&stc=1

URMite
October 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I'm living in Richmond. Had I not had a prior work engagement I would definitely come down for this
Up...

jmufan999
October 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM
i expect a very, very tight game. should be fun. just no freak injuries like last time CGD visited, please. we’ve been plagued by countless injuries to starters already, don’t need any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUtk
October 8th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Hmm, last time JMU hosted GameDay, it didn't end well for the Dukes. I'm pulling for a perfect 2 for 2 record when GameDay is in town! Go Nova.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Hmm, last time JMU hosted GameDay, it didn't end well for the Dukes. I'm pulling for a perfect 2 for 2 record when GameDay is in town! Go Nova.

If only we could play our game days against Delaware State and Incarnate Word.

NDSUtk
October 8th, 2017, 06:03 PM
If only we could play our game days against Delaware State and Incarnate Word.Or too bad you just didn't take care of business against Richmond like you should have being the superior team.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I made it to the Friday Game Day two years ago and enjoyed the experience! JMU is a great campus! If anyone has the chance to go do it!

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Or too bad you just didn't take care of business against Richmond like you should have being the superior team.

what about college game day in Fargo next year when Delaware shows up

HailSzczur
October 8th, 2017, 07:12 PM
We Want Bama (Basketball). Gotta start brainstorming sign ideas for my brother who's heading down.

Someone get Andy Talley on a bus down there, I'd love to see him get on air and do a pitch for Be the Match.

KPSUL
October 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Up...

You're both right, "Up and Over"

KPSUL
October 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I get why the players shouldn't participate, but I'd like to see Coach Houston there for an interview. He'd be an excellent spokesman for JMU and the FCS.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 08:17 PM
what about college game day in Fargo next year when Delaware shows up

That would actually be a good one. It all depends on how crappy the FBS ranked games are that week but ESPN does shoot for an FCS game day a year.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 08:19 PM
We Want Bama (Basketball). Gotta start brainstorming sign ideas for my brother who's heading down.

Someone get Andy Talley on a bus down there, I'd love to see him get on air and do a pitch for Be the Match.

Last time they were here, they let JMU and Everett Withers have five or fewer minutes on stage for a JMU specific segment and then a handful of mentions throughout the 3 hour show plus obvious cut aways throughout. They mentioned UR as the opponent, showed their cheerleaders and mascot a number of times, but I don't believe UR got any exclusive screen time.

That could change of course, but I just wanted to let you know what to expect. We welcome all VU fans down to Harrisonburg. Proudly represent your school and have fun on what should be a beautiful day and a good game.

lknspider
October 8th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Spiders got the best exposure that day with a 59 - 49 Victory! Todd McShay, ESPN announcer/Spider, more than made up for any pregame talk. It was a fun day and game.....JMU and fans put on a good show for Gameday!!

HailSzczur
October 8th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Last time they were here, they let JMU and Everett Withers have five or fewer minutes on stage for a JMU specific segment and then a handful of mentions throughout the 3 hour show plus obvious cut aways throughout. They mentioned UR as the opponent, showed their cheerleaders and mascot a number of times, but I don't believe UR got any exclusive screen time.

That could change of course, but I just wanted to let you know what to expect. We welcome all VU fans down to Harrisonburg. Proudly represent your school and have fun on what should be a beautiful day and a good game.

That's why I say get Andy down there! Probably the only way we get anything beyond mentions and mascot shots. They have all the footage from Matt Szczur's E60.

I wish I could get down for the game and all the festivities but I have work commitments Friday afternoon and Saturday. Was down for the '08 playoff game and can't imagine what a game is like now in the expanded stadium.

RootinFerDukes
October 8th, 2017, 08:57 PM
It’s a sold out crowd that’ll be 26k with standing room only admission. We’ve been doing a better job of making bridgeforth loud too. A few false starts forced this season ala the fargodome.
The atmosphere of the 2015 UR game was good despite the loss. I trust we have a better defense, an equal offense and a MUCH better coach. I don’t anticipate a repeat of that defensive debacle.

NDSUtk
October 8th, 2017, 09:04 PM
That would actually be a good one. It all depends on how crappy the FBS ranked games are that week but ESPN does shoot for an FCS game day a year.They do indeed. Lee Fitting tweeted out:
We are a college football show, not a top 25 FBS show. Some think otherwise, but they don’t know what’s going on.

He also mentioned if Youngstown would have won, they were heading there. But alas, that didn't happen!

https://twitter.com/leefitting/status/917202319384698880

PurpleStreamers
October 8th, 2017, 09:32 PM

Hear, hear! Would be great to see Talley talking about his incredible work. Tell your brother to stop by any tailgate. After the inevitable good-natured trash-talk, he's welcome to any beer and food we have to offer!

Longhorn
October 9th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Or too bad you just didn't take care of business against Richmond like you should have being the superior team.

...too bad NDSU "didn't take care of business" against JMU or the Bison could be talking about a 7-peat. Oh, that's right, the NDSU weren't the superior team last year. Nor this year for that matter.

Hope to see JMU host the Bison come playoff time this season. It's about time NDSU has to play on the road against an opponent whose home-crowd advantage is as big as the Bison.

TribeNomad1
October 9th, 2017, 05:57 AM
...too bad NDSU "didn't take care of business" against JMU or the Bison could be talking about a 7-peat. Oh, that's right, the NDSU weren't the superior team last year. Nor this year for that matter.

Hope to see JMU host the Bison come playoff time this season. It's about time NDSU has to play on the road against an opponent whose home-crowd advantage is as big as the Bison.

Way early, but if JMU and NDSU finish out at the top, look for the NCAA to put them in separate brackets.

NDSUtk
October 9th, 2017, 07:17 AM

Hope to see JMU host the Bison come playoff time this season. It's about time NDSU has to play on the road against an opponent whose home-crowd advantage is as big as the Bison.Exactly we weren't the better team. No excuses. What was your excuse against Richmond with your home field advantage?

jmufan999
October 9th, 2017, 08:19 AM
thoughts from Nova fans on the QB situation? if the starter (too lazy to look up how to spell his name) is still out, what do you think about the backup?

flyrod
October 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Exactly we weren't the better team. No excuses. What was your excuse against Richmond with your home field advantage?

Im assuming your implying the last time gameday was at JMU and they lost to Richmond....Well as everyone knows who saw that game...Our Defense sucked period , and that defensive background Coach is no longer with us. and he now has his own SH*** show at Texas State...
Now we have a Coach and Staff and a team that can execute and looking forward to the playoffs for a potential rematch between the Bison and the Dukes...But we still have to lots of season to play so you never know.
Im sure the powers that be will try to keep NDSU and JMU on opposite sides of the bracket to get a huge crowd in Frisco if all plays out like they hope (and what it should be if they are 1 & 2 respectively) ...remember it is always about the $$$ and the story line now makes it one of the biggest draws in FCS.

DirtyDukes
October 9th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I just wish NDSU would come to Hburg, I would love to return the hospitality to Bison fans and the atmosphere would be amazing, especially in late winter.

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I just wish NDSU would come to Hburg, I would love to return the hospitality to Bison fans and the atmosphere would be amazing, especially in late winter.

97 44/100 % of bison fans are afraid to leave the Midwest ivory soap boys.

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 09:13 AM
97 44/100 % of bison fans are afraid to leave the Midwest ivory soap boys.Oh Bull****, NDSU fans would buy up as many tickets as they could get or were allowed if we had an away game at JMU. If there were 10,000 tickets available, we would probably buy them up.

DirtyDukes
October 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Did a bot create that post for you? I can't follow it.

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Im assuming your implying the last time gameday was at JMU and they lost to Richmond....Well as everyone knows who saw that game...Our Defense sucked period , and that defensive background Coach is no longer with us. and he now has his own SH*** show at Texas State...
Now we have a Coach and Staff and a team that can execute and looking forward to the playoffs for a potential rematch between the Bison and the Dukes...But we still have to lots of season to play so you never know.
Im sure the powers that be will try to keep NDSU and JMU on opposite sides of the bracket to get a huge crowd in Frisco if all plays out like they hope (and what it should be if they are 1 & 2 respectively) ...remember it is always about the $$$ and the story line now makes it one of the biggest draws in FCS.

Toyota stadium in Frisco is not big enough for a JMU vs NDSU game with the way both teams travel. Capaicty of maybe 18k after the renovation assuming it is completed before the game. NDSU has proven that even when the other team (Towson) brings very little in fans that NDSU will buy up the remaining tickets.

JMU vs NDSU would be a hard or expensive ticket to get.

Still a lot of season to go.

Congratulations to James Madison for hosting ESPN Gameday again.

Dewey

KPSUL
October 9th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I just wish NDSU would come to Hburg, I would love to return the hospitality to Bison fans and the atmosphere would be amazing, especially in late FALL.

FIFY

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Oh Bull****, NDSU fans would buy up as many tickets as they could get or were allowed if we had an away game at JMU. If there were 10,000 tickets available, we would probably buy them up.

That was an attempted shot at you guys for having to watch all those home games in that tin dome

Bisonator
October 9th, 2017, 09:21 AM
http://www.haverodwilltravel.com/images/Trolling%202.jpg

How's the fishing hen?

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Did a bot create that post for you? I can't follow it.

I don't know maybe .....because I don't speak English I speak my post in Spanish and just let the phone translate and dictate everything

The ivory soap remark was just a tongue-in-cheek comment at the color of all those bison fans

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 09:22 AM
That was an attempted shot at you guys for having to watch all those home games in that tin domeHey, our dome is made of brick and mortar, the tin shed is 75 miles north of Fargo, but I get your point. I would love to have a H&H with JMU, it would be bitchin'. There would be a ton of people that would make the trip out east for that bad boy.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Way early, but if JMU and NDSU finish out at the top, look for the NCAA to put them in separate brackets.

That's a given and it has nothing to do with how it might effect the Frisco, TX economy. #1 Seed will always be on the opposite bracket from #2.

But as others have said, let's play all the games before we set the bracket.

DirtyDukes
October 9th, 2017, 09:29 AM
FIFY

I don't know maybe .....because I don't speak English I speak my post in Spanish and just let the phone translate and dictate everything

The ivory soap remark was just a tongue-in-cheek comment at the color of all those bison fans

Whoops I apologize I didn't realize.

- - - Updated - - -

FIFY

LOL I was thinking first week of December so EARLY winter at best, you're probably right with the Late Fall.

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 09:29 AM
That's a given and it has nothing to do with how it might effect the Frisco, TX economy. #1 Seed will always be on the opposite bracket from #2.

Agreed. If NDSU and JMU win out they are the top 2 seeds and will only see each other in Frisco. Let's not pretend that the NCAA will actually spend money to promote the FCS.

Dewey

CHIP72
October 9th, 2017, 09:59 AM
I'm hoping for the upset, but I'm not optimistic the Villanova offense will be able to do enough against JMU. At the Villanova/Towson game I attended on 9/30, the Wildcats struggled to move the ball for long stretches of the game.

RootinFerDukes
October 9th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Exactly we weren't the better team. No excuses. What was your excuse against Richmond with your home field advantage?

A ****ty head coach who had his foot out the door. It couldn't be any different in that respect now.

TribeNomad1
October 9th, 2017, 10:10 AM

But as others have said, let's play all the games before we set the bracket.

True, but each year there are "surprises" when it comes to seeding......

RootinFerDukes
October 9th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Oh Bull****, NDSU fans would buy up as many tickets as they could get or were allowed if we had an away game at JMU. If there were 10,000 tickets available, we would probably buy them up.

You think 10k NDSU fans will show up? Would they buy tickets without showing? I would be truly impressed because I doubt more than 5k visiting fans have ever shown up to Harrisonburg at any point in the past, even Virginia schools.

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 10:16 AM
You think 10k NDSU fans will show up? Would they buy tickets without showing? I would be truly impressed because I doubt more than 5k visiting fans have ever shown up to Harrisonburg at any point in the past, even Virginia schools.Yea, it wouldn't surprise me but we will never know because there is no way that there would be that many tickets available for us even if we were able to schedule a game with you guys.

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 10:17 AM
You think 10k NDSU fans will show up? Would they buy tickets without showing? I would be truly impressed because I doubt more than 5k visiting fans have ever shown up to Harrisonburg at any point in the past, even Virginia schools.

I don't think NDSU would get 10k to go to JMU. Tickets would be hard to get and it would be a decent trip to get there.

I would go along with my 7 year old son.

Dewey

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I don't think NDSU would get 10k to go to JMU. Tickets would be hard to get and it would be a decent trip to get there.

I would go along with my 7 year old son.

DeweyWe would get as many people as there were tickets available, no doubt in my mind. Harrisonburg is only a couple hundred miles father than Cheney, WA. How many did we have in Cheney? 10,000 might be a stretch, a big stretch, but I think we would easily take all of our allotment and whatever other tickets were available.

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 10:25 AM
We would get as many people as there were tickets available, no doubt in my mind. Harrisonburg is only a couple hundred miles father than Cheney, WA. How many did we have in Cheney? 10,000 might be a stretch, a big stretch, but I think we would easily take all of our allotment and whatever other tickets were available.I agree that we would absolutely use up our allotment but JMU draws well and an NDSU game would be hard to find tickets on the secondary market.

EWU to me is different because they don't draw well for games so therefore there were lots of tickets available but I assume that wouldn't be the case for JMU.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Hey, I don't want to read this whole thread but is this game on ESPN3 or something? Be great to watch this game and I assume it will be available someplace.

Also, sorry for the thread drift, it was CHens fault.

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Our crew from the Carolinas would be rollin' up for a Bison game in H'burg.

Hell, if we weren't doing our tailgate party on Saturday, I know some of us would be at JMU for Gameday and then drive to YSU.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dewey
October 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Agreed.

We Bison fans are pretty good at thread drift.

Dewey

RootinFerDukes
October 9th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hey, I don't want to read this whole thread but is this game on ESPN3 or something? Be great to watch this game and I assume it will be available someplace.

It's on MASN if you get that channel. Otherwise you can watch it for free on collegesportslive.com. Click on Programming Schedule in the top right corner to bypass the subscription front page.

POD Knows
October 9th, 2017, 11:15 AM
It's on MASN if you get that channel. Otherwise you can watch it for free on collegesportslive.com. Click on Programming Schedule in the top right corner to bypass the subscription front page.I had checked CSL and didn't see it on the schedule for future events.

jmu007
October 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I had checked CSL and didn't see it on the schedule for future events.

It'll be there. This is JMU's game as part of that CAA digital sports package deal.

CHIP72
October 9th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I had checked CSL and didn't see it on the schedule for future events.

You can also download the College Sports Live app and watch it on iOS or Android OS devices. The game should be listed as a free game.

jmufan999
October 9th, 2017, 01:35 PM
thoughts from Nova fans on the QB situation? if the starter (too lazy to look up how to spell his name) is still out, what do you think about the backup?

ok, now I know the backup guy is starting. can a Nova fan give a quick scouting report? I know he hasn't played a lot, just don't know a thing about him.

Gangtackle11
October 9th, 2017, 03:08 PM
ok, now I know the backup guy is starting. can a Nova fan give a quick scouting report? I know he hasn't played a lot, just don't know a thing about him.

Jack Schetelich is his name. He is from Cranford, NJ.
HS team was 25-1 while he was there. Played with Penn State OL Will Fries & Lehigh WR Luke Christiano.

He is an engineering major. He has very good vision & runs extremely well in read option offense. Reminds me of John Robertson light as a runner. Not the strongest arm & has not displayed accuracy in 1st2 games, but I think it’s a matter of playing more than talent. He’s 6’1” and probably 190ish.

Looks to make the right reads in the run game. Passing is still Tbd.

i think the kid has strong intangibles in addition to talent. He’s a keeper in my book.

JMU defense will be a big test for him. We shall see.

how’s that?

jmufan999
October 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Jack Schetelich is his name. He is from Cranford, NJ.
HS team was 25-1 while he was there. Played with Penn State OL Will Fries & Lehigh WR Luke Christiano.

He is an engineering major. He has very good vision & runs extremely well in read option offense. Reminds me of John Robertson light as a runner. Not the strongest arm & has not displayed accuracy in 1st2 games, but I think it’s a matter of playing more than talent. He’s 6’1” and probably 190ish.

Looks to make the right reads in the run game. Passing is still Tbd.

i think the kid has strong intangibles in addition to talent. He’s a keeper in my book.

JMU defense will be a big test for him. We shall see.

how’s that?

good stuff. if he's half the talent that Robertson was, you've got a winner for sure.

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2017, 06:13 AM
5dimes Line:

JMU - 15 1/2 (43 1/2)

jmu007
October 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM
For anyone interested in making the trip south; JMU released this today. Parking/attendance information for events surrounding ESPN College GameDay.

http://www.jmusports.com/news/2017/10/9/football-complete-info-for-espns-college-gameday.aspx

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I posted this concept in the nobowls thread & figures I’d put it out here.

Im trying to justify that this game is closer than 15 1/2 points that the odds makers have it.

Only thing we can compare are the Maine scores which both teams won at home by wide margins. 28-10 for JMU & 31-0 for Nova.

I can stretch it a bit and compare scores vs. AAC opponents. JMU blew out ECU 34-14 in season opener. Temple beat ECU last Saturday 34-10. Temple beat Nova 16-13.

I know this transitive property concept is hog wash, but it’s the only thing us Nova fans have to justify the 4-5 hour ride down & back.

Looks to me that 15 1/2 points is a bit too many. That scares me because just when you think you have a easy win you wind up losing your shirt to the sports books.

What do you think? Close or blow out (over 15 1/2)

jmu007
October 10th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I wouldn’t bet on this game. This game could be a 3 point win or 30 and neither would surprise me.

Dukie95
October 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Im trying to justify that this game is closer than 15 1/2 points that the odds makers have it.

Only thing we can compare are the Maine scores which both teams won at home by wide margins. 28-10 for JMU & 31-0 for Nova.

I can stretch it a bit and compare scores vs. AAC opponents. JMU blew out ECU 34-14 in season opener. Temple beat ECU last Saturday 34-10. Temple beat Nova 16-13.

I know this transitive property concept is hog wash, but it’s the only thing us Nova fans have to justify the 4-5 hour ride down & back.

Looks to me that 15 1/2 points is a bit too many. That scares me because just when you think you have a easy win you wind up losing your shirt to the sports books.

Except for Nova's opening drive, all their touchdowns came directly off turnovers or with a short field immediately following a turnover. So, that means two things...1. the final score was not really representative of the real differences between those teams and 2. Nova's going to have to prove it can put some sustained drives together with Schetelich at the helm...an immensely tall order against JMU's defense.

JMU 27
Nova 10

centennial
October 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM

IMO JMU 4-6 sounds about right to me. 15 is a lot. I'll be watching this game.

Longhorn
October 10th, 2017, 06:22 PM

xeyebrowx JMU is yet to play Richmond this year.

NDSUtk
October 10th, 2017, 06:36 PM

If only we could play our game days against Delaware State and Incarnate Word.

xeyebrowx JMU is yet to play Richmond this year.

Longhorn, I know some Texas folks are a little slower than average, but please, try to keep up when you're quoting me. You originally told me that NDSU didn't take care of business against JMU (after I said JMU didn't take care of business against Richmond). Both of these were in reference to last year... You told me about this awesome home field advantage JMU has. So I acknowledged that JMU was the better team last year than NDSU. And then asked what happened against Richmond? To which you said you haven't played. Clearly our conversation flow was in regards to last year. I didn't think it was that hard of a question.

Luckily your other fans have assisted you in explaining the Richmond loss, so I won't make you attempt to answer that. I'd love to hear your rationale that JMU is the superior team this year though. Is it based on how close the NDSU games have been? Because at this point in the season, I don't think you can call out NDSU for not looking good. And it's too early to try to compare the bodies of work with half the season to go. But you sure seem to think JMU is superior (see your quote above for your memory).

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2017, 06:38 PM
My first reaction to the pointspread was wow that's way too many points this is going to be a close game

Longhorn
October 10th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Longhorn, I know some Texas folks are a little slower than average, but please, try to keep up when you're quoting me. You originally told me that NDSU didn't take care of business against JMU (after I said JMU didn't take care of business against Richmond). Both of these were in reference to last year... You told me about this awesome home field advantage JMU has. So I acknowledged that JMU was the better team last year than NDSU. And then asked what happened against Richmond? To which you said you haven't played. Clearly our conversation flow was in regards to last year. I didn't think it was that hard of a question.

Luckily your other fans have assisted you in explaining the Richmond loss, so I won't make you attempt to answer that. I'd love to hear your rationale that JMU is the superior team this year though. Is it based on how close the NDSU games have been? Because at this point in the season, I don't think you can call out NDSU for not looking good. And it's too early to try to compare the bodies of work with half the season to go. But you sure seem to think JMU is superior (see your quote above for your memory).

Ah, excuse me, but JMU BEAT Richmond last year. You're rambling is a year off in your transitive trip thru the tulips. So, get your facts straight before trying to pose questions that don't make sense. Asking "what happened against Richmond" (a 2015 game that didn't have anything to do with the playoffs in 2016 when JMU beat NDSU) makes absolutely zero sense.

I agree it's too early to compare bodies of work, but I do believe JMU remains the superior team compared to NDSU. That's not a criticism of NDSU, which is obviously an excellent team and program. NDSU is just second best pending further developments.

NDSUtk
October 10th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Ah, excuse me, but JMU BEAT Richmond last year. You're rambling is a year off in your transitive trip thru the tulips. So, get your facts straight before trying to pose questions that don't make sense. Asking "what happened against Richmond" (a 2015 game that didn't have anything to do with the playoffs in 2016 when JMU beat NDSU) makes absolutely zero sense.

I agree it's too early to compare bodies of work, but I do believe JMU remains the superior team compared to NDSU. That's not a criticism of NDSU, which is obviously an excellent team and program. NDSU is just second best pending further developments.Fair enough, I did indeed miss by a year but it doesn't actually change the question. But nonetheless, there is a lot to this year yet. Both teams face a much more difficult schedule going forward than the first half the year. We shall see if either finish #1.

I'm still a Nova fan this weekend. That doesn't change!

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Except for Nova's opening drive, all their touchdowns came directly off turnovers or with a short field immediately following a turnover. So, that means two things...1. the final score was not really representative of the real differences between those teams and 2. Nova's going to have to prove it can put some sustained drives together with Schetelich at the helm...an immensely tall order against JMU's defense.

JMU 27
Nova 10

I don’t dispute your comments, but turnovers are part of the game & Nova’s defense has been pretty good at getting them the past 2 seasons. I don’t think we are in the game if we are relying on 80 yard drives. Stops & turnovers are a must.

I also looked at your game vs. Maine & see it was 14-10 entering the 4th quarter before putting them away. How do you explain away that & also how Mack ran for 144 yards against JMU & 22 against Villanova coming off a bye week?

I was not impressed by Maine much. Middle of the pack CAA team IMHO.

Something smells for this line to be 15 1/2. It’s concerning to me because the evidence points to a much closer game.

Longhorn
October 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Fair enough, I did indeed miss by a year but it doesn't actually change the question. But nonetheless, there is a lot to this year yet. Both teams face a much more difficult schedule going forward than the first half the year. We shall see if either finish #1.

As I will be rooting for the criminals at YSU. xthumbsupx

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Fair enough, I did indeed miss by a year but it doesn't actually change the question. But nonetheless, there is a lot to this year yet. Both teams face a much more difficult schedule going forward than the first half the year. We shall see if either finish #1.

Welcome to Nova Nation!!

Longhorn
October 10th, 2017, 07:10 PM
I don’t dispute your comments, but turnovers are part of the game & Nova’s defense has been pretty good at getting them the past 2 seasons. I don’t think we are in the game if we are relying on 80 yard drives. Stops & turnovers are a must.

I also looked at your game vs. Maine & see it was 14-10 entering the 4th quarter before putting them away. How do you explain away that & also how Mack ran for 144 yards against JMU & 22 against Villanova coming off a bye week?

Something smells for this line to be 15 1/2. It’s concerning to me because the evidence points to a much closer game.

The betting line is large, but unless there are an unexpectedly large number of turnovers, or an injury to Schor as happened in last year's game, JMU should win this one at home in comfortable fashion. With the exception of JMU's TE Kloosterman (who is out with mono), Schor will have all of his starting WRs back for the first time this season. If Schor has time to throw, 15 1/2 isn't unreasonable.

Dukie95
October 11th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Mack got through for a 60 yard TD run in the 3rd, which essentially doubled his yardage. Certainly, Maine had a good defensive game plan in the first half.

I get that turnovers are part of the game, but I was trying to explain why the line is so large. Nova has serious questions on offense and most of those 31 points are fool's gold.

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Mack got through for a 60 yard TD run in the 3rd, which essentially doubled his yardage. Certainly, Maine had a good defensive game plan in the first half.

I get that turnovers are part of the game, but I was trying to explain why the line is so large. Nova has serious questions on offense and most of those 31 points are fool's gold.

Yeah. We aren’t going to beat the better CAA teams, no less the defending champ, counting on our offense having to go 70-80 yards.

Our defense/special teams need to create short field opportunities to beat good teams.

JMU protects the ball it will a tough game for the ‘Cats. Although I don’t see a many scenarios that leads to a blow out.

No team has been offensively dominate against the Villanova defense in the past 2 seasons. Nova loses because of inept offense gives good/great teams too many quality opportunities.

Lehigh’s offense has been they only one to score more than 30 against them.

Matt
October 11th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I wouldn’t bet on this game. This game could be a 3 point win or 30 and neither would surprise me.

Same. Wouldn't touch this game. If i had to bet, i'd take Nova to cover by a couple.

vutomcat
October 11th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I certainly carry a Nova bias but I have a hard time seeing a blowout here. JMU will need at least plus two or three on turnovers to get much over 20 points. Cats offense is their weak point but the QB has only one start so far and definitely shows some promise running the option. If he just keeps the chains moving somewhat consistently this has the earmarks of a 20-13 type game either way. if the offense crumbles, JMU could cover with a 27- 10 type score.

I suspect JMU will be hyped and the home crowd will help. The Cats defense should keep the crowd noise and momentum down though. Frustration could kick in...

Nova's special teams - kicker and punter have been excellent this season and should help to keep the game close.

I know JMU will have their wide receivers back for this game but the Cats d backs are skilled and experienced.

Can't wait for kickoff.

I see that MASN2 is showing the game on tv down there. Hoping to get some tickets but if not, is that a station that a local bar/restaurant would carry?

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Gangtackle, I wouldn't define a 15 point win as a blowout. That is unless they led by 4+ TDs at one point and let the other team rally back for a few trash time scores against their back ups.

Herder
October 11th, 2017, 01:00 PM

You might think that JMU is the superior team in 2017 in your opinion, but they haven't played. Who is superior in 2017, Alabama or Clemson? I don't know, they haven't played, so your opinion on that doesn't matter either.

They don't flip a coin for home games in the FCS playoffs, they are earned. You do realize that, right?

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2017, 01:31 PM
You might think that JMU is the superior team in 2017 in your opinion, but they haven't played. Who is superior in 2017, Alabama or Clemson? I don't know, they haven't played, so your opinion on that doesn't matter either.

They don't flip a coin for home games in the FCS playoffs, they are earned. You do realize that, right?

Wait so does this logic also apply to NDSU? Does that mean their fans will stop derailing every thread with hissy fits about how they're really the #1 team?

Hammerhead
October 11th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I'd love a road trip to JMU. Washington, D.C. isn't that far away and there are tons of historical places to visit and make the trip into a weeklong vacation. The last regular season roadtrip Mrs. Hammerhead and I made was from Fargo to Missoula and back where we slept in rest areas on the way out and way back.

jmufan999
October 11th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I'd love a road trip to JMU. Washington, D.C. isn't that far away and there are tons of historical places to visit and make the trip into a weeklong vacation. The last regular season roadtrip Mrs. Hammerhead and I made was from Fargo to Missoula and back where we slept in rest areas on the way out and way back.

come on down sometime. fall is especially beautiful here.

KPSUL
October 11th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Earned by the seeded 8, bought by everyone else.

CHIP72
October 11th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I see that MASN2 is showing the game on tv down there. Hoping to get some tickets but if not, is that a station that a local bar/restaurant would carry?

MASN, not MASN2, will carry the game. It is a regional sports network similar to CSN Philadelphia (most notably televises Orioles and Nationals games), and it should be available at any sports bar.

Incidentally, if you live in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York TV market, MASN should be available there too.

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Gangtackle, I wouldn't define a 15 point win as a blowout. That is unless they led by 4+ TDs at one point and let the other team rally back for a few trash time scores against their back ups.

you JMU boys better not party it up too much at the pregame tailgate because you going to be crying in your beer after the game

CHIP72
October 11th, 2017, 03:29 PM
VUtomcat - I forgot to mention that MASN may be available as close to Philadelphia as parts of New Castle County, DE (Wilmington, Newark), and will be available in Cecil County, MD (Elkton).

JayMYou
October 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM
you JMU boys better not party it up too much at the pregame tailgate because you going to be crying in your beer after the game

https://i.imgur.com/6L9yQ1W.gif

DirtyDukes
October 11th, 2017, 04:40 PM

Is the VU D now the best D that we'll face all year instead of Delaware?

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Is the VU D now the best D that we'll face all year instead of Delaware?

do you really want to go into the playoffs undefeated or do you want to get that loss off your chest?

DirtyDukes
October 11th, 2017, 05:07 PM
do you really want to go into the playoffs undefeated or do you want to get that loss off your chest?

LOL u silly hen

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2017, 05:20 PM
LOL u silly hen

That sounds like a nervous laugh to me

you tell us after the game who's defense was better
Delaware's D can hang with Novs

in nova's offense is certainly more potent than Delaware's you guys better be ready to score some points

vutomcat
October 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM
VUtomcat - I forgot to mention that MASN may be available as close to Philadelphia as parts of New Castle County, DE (Wilmington, Newark), and will be available in Cecil County, MD (Elkton).

Thanks Chip

Nova09
October 11th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Sorry to get off topic in this greatness of bizon fan base thread, didn't see any about game so ill just jump in here.

Nevermind caribbean, besides his personal delirium lost at sea hen fans in general don't have much frame of reference beating us so they just assume nobody can. Unfortunately our offense is out for the season and wasn't that good to begin with, so I dont see us scoring enough to keep up. 15.5 seems not unreasonable for a 24ish 10 type game. If we can have 3 6-7-8 min drives, we might be able to keep d fresh and pull out a close one.

What to expect from schetelich? No one really knows outside those at practice. Towson strategy was not prepared for him, so "no 2nd half completions" certainly isn't good, but really only have maine to go off. That was basically run 7 or more times in a row, then take a shot at a 20-30 yard pass. Not sure if we'll see that again or new wrinkles for jmu.

Decided I'll drive for Gameday. may or may not have ticket(s). Good leads, I'm expecting at least one to come through, but always bars if not. Flying solo, so if I end up with extras villanovans can pm me. Any AGSers who want to meet up can pm.

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Sorry to get off topic in this greatness of bizon fan base thread, didn't see any about game so ill just jump in here.

Nevermind caribbean, besides his personal delirium lost at sea hen fans in general don't have much frame of reference beating us so they just assume nobody can. Unfortunately our offense is out for the season and wasn't that good to begin with, so I dont see us scoring enough to keep up. 15.5 seems not unreasonable for a 24ish 10 type game. If we can have 3 6-7-8 min drives, we might be able to keep d fresh and pull out a close one.

What to expect from schetelich? No one really knows outside those at practice. Towson strategy was not prepared for him, so "no 2nd half completions" certainly isn't good, but really only have maine to go off. That was basically run 7 or more times in a row, then take a shot at a 20-30 yard pass. Not sure if we'll see that again or new wrinkles for jmu.

Decided I'll drive for Gameday. may or may not have ticket(s). Good leads, I'm expecting at least one to come through, but always bars if not. Flying solo, so if I end up with extras villanovans can pm me. Any AGSers who want to meet up can pm.

Stop by the Villanova tailgate. Should be a small contingent of us, but always welcome!!

awBison
October 11th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Is there a place to view JMU games? Seems like theyre never on ESPN, Youtube, or any other source that I know of.

Schism55
October 11th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Was mentioned somewhere College Sports Live app. I installed it and hoping this game is on there this weekend.

CHIP72
October 11th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Was mentioned somewhere College Sports Live app. I installed it and hoping this game is on there this weekend.

The CSL website should also work.

You can always check to see if a game is available on a channel offered by your TV provider by checking sites like tvguide.com, selecting the date/time as the start time (or slightly before/after the game starts), and clicking the option to only see the sports listings.

awBison
October 11th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Seems strange to me that nobody posts these games on youtube or something. Good grief, the champs and you cant even check out their games?

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2017, 09:36 PM

You also said Delaware was going to win two weeks ago so...

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Seems strange to me that nobody posts these games on youtube or something. Good grief, the champs and you cant even check out their games?

The caa can’t line up a tv deal to save their life.

You’ll be able to catch this game for free via college sports live. If you get masn through satellite tv, then it’ll be on that channel too.

DirtyDukes
October 12th, 2017, 12:01 AM

Stop by the Villanova tailgate. Should be a small contingent of us, but always welcome!!
Where is the nova tailgate? You guys are more than welcome to stop by PLot, just look for this guy near the skull and cross bones:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26286&stc=1

jmufan999
October 12th, 2017, 08:33 AM

you'll have a blast at Gameday even if you can't make the game. I almost didn't go last time, my parents talked me into it (they had been to Gameday at a different school before and told me it was fun). I'm so glad I went, I would have totally regretted missing it. just a fun, chaotic, electric atmosphere. the energy really bleeds over into the game, also. I remember that specifically from '15.

as far as Schetelich (wish you guys would get some QBs with easier names to spell), that will be the key. he'll really need to take care of the football. would not be at all surprised to see a bunch of trick plays, also. a flea flicker has worked against us twice in the past two years. also wouldn't be surprised to see a TON of misdirection: reverses, counters, etc. Use the aggressive pursuit against us.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 12th, 2017, 08:58 AM
you'll have a blast at Gameday even if you can't make the game. I almost didn't go last time, my parents talked me into it (they had been to Gameday at a different school before and told me it was fun). I'm so glad I went, I would have totally regretted missing it. just a fun, chaotic, electric atmosphere. the energy really bleeds over into the game, also. I remember that specifically from '15.

as far as Schetelich (wish you guys would get some QBs with easier names to spell), that will be the key. he'll really need to take care of the football. would not be at all surprised to see a bunch of trick plays, also. a flea flicker has worked against us twice in the past two years. also wouldn't be surprised to see a TON of misdirection: reverses, counters, etc. Use the aggressive pursuit against us.

Robertson was easy to spell so I'm fine with this way

DirtyDukes
October 12th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Robertson was easy to spell so I'm fine with this way

Hahahaha true

Gangtackle11
October 12th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Where is the nova tailgate? You guys are more than welcome to stop by PLot, just look for this guy near the skull and cross bones:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26286&stc=1

I believe the Nova tailgate in the R2 parking lot.

JayMYou
October 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Is there a place to view JMU games? Seems like theyre never on ESPN, Youtube, or any other source that I know of.

https://i.redd.it/mtaxi3qz84dy.jpg

BNATION
October 12th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Ill take Nova by 2 points. Either way i think this is a close game.

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2017, 01:09 PM
You also said Delaware was going to win two weeks ago so...

no I didn't I said you betterget ready to see a good defense and you did

KPSUL
October 12th, 2017, 01:56 PM
This game will go more like Maine @ JMU than the JMU @ Delaware game. It may take JMU a while to get going on offense, but they will pull away at some point and win by at least 2 TDs.

Gangtackle11
October 12th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20171012aaa.pdf

Gangtackle11
October 12th, 2017, 03:17 PM
This game will go more like Maine @ JMU than the JMU @ Delaware game. It may take JMU a while to get going on offense, but they will pull away at some point and win by at least 2 TDs.

Maybe, but for the past 2 seasons I’ve heard how much improved or how tough Maine is.

Maine is a average team at best. No comparison to Villanova. (Margin of victory past 2 seasons is 57-7 Nova)

The fact they hung with JMU through 3+ quarters gives me a glimmer of hope.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I'm guessing Coach Houston isn't going to pull a "Withers" and bring his whole team down to the set of Gameday the morning of the game so he can unveil the new helmet they'll be wearing while they all do their best junior-high-girl-at-a-Justin-Bieber-concert impression.

Congrats on getting Gameday back btw JMU fans... I'm looking forward to watching this Saturday. xthumbsupx

DirtyDukes
October 12th, 2017, 07:54 PM
I believe the Nova tailgate in the R2 parking lot.

I'm going to reach out and make sure that's a valid tailgate lot - I park there if I'm coming in late and I've never seen anyone tailgating there. I'll PM you.

Ill take Nova by 2 points. Either way i think this is a close game.

https://media.tenor.com/images/224909d87c633ed533f516fb644a8033/tenor.gif

JMad03
October 12th, 2017, 08:36 PM

You picked us to win in the CAA prediction thread. You can't even troll right.

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2017, 08:46 PM
You picked us to win in the CAA prediction thread. You can't even troll right.

Good to know you're paying attention, of course I picked JM you to win in the pick em

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2017, 07:46 AM
According to our beat writer, Greg Madia, ESPN has filmed segments with some team members, will have a segment featuring RB Trai Sharp and his father who recently passed away. Finally, Coach Houston, but not the whole team, will make an appearance on the gameday stage at some point.

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2017, 08:52 AM
According to our beat writer, Greg Madia, ESPN has filmed segments with some team members, will have a segment featuring RB Trai Sharp and his father who recently passed away. Finally, Coach Houston, but not the whole team, will make an appearance on the gameday stage at some point.
They usually have a 1-on-1 interview with Maria Taylor and whoever the head coach of the home team is for the site they're visiting. So it'll be good for Coach Houston to get that face time. I really like him so I'll definitely be tuning in for that.

I just thought it was dumb as **** for Withers to bring his whole team down there hours before game time for something as trivial as a helmet reveal. Kinda showed me he was more about pomp than professionalism. Both times Gameday came to NDSU the coaching staff (which was Bohl the 1st time and Klieman the 2nd time) brought the whole team down to the set on Friday night and took pictures with Herbstreit, Pollack, and company to take it all in. By game day it was all business. I'm pretty sure Houston has more of the Bohl/Klieman style than the Withers style when it comes to that.

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Did Bohl or Klieman ever visit the set for an interview on the day of?

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Did Bohl or Klieman ever visit the set for an interview on the day of?
Yes, both years they did an on-set live interview with Sam Ponder during the broadcast. I think coaches will sometimes tape those interviews and they just play them during the broadcast... I supposed that's the coach's choice.

Nova09
October 13th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Secured an extra ticket, if anyone is still looking get at me

jmufan999
October 13th, 2017, 12:20 PM
this thread is friggin' brutal. meaning, boring.

jmufan999
October 13th, 2017, 01:37 PM
JMU just announced the corporate sponsor for its new basketball facility, scheduled to break ground in Spring 2018, opening Fall 2020.

We will be opening the Union Bank & Trust Center. Largest corporate sponsorship in JMU history. Gorgeous facility.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Where is that Withers kid? LOL

Nova09
October 13th, 2017, 02:46 PM
JMU just announced the corporate sponsor for its new basketball facility, scheduled to break ground in Spring 2018, opening Fall 2020.

We will be opening the Union Bank & Trust Center. Largest corporate sponsorship in JMU history. Gorgeous facility.

PLEASE do not mention a basketball facility with nova fans lurking. Wait til Sunday!

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Where is that Withers kid? LOL
He's currently turning Texas St into a bigger FBS laughingstock than it was already. He does have a 20-11 win over Houston Baptist to hang his hat on though, unfortunately for him that's his team's only win in 2017.

jmufan999
October 13th, 2017, 07:11 PM
PLEASE do not mention a basketball facility with nova fans lurking. Wait til Sunday!

haha. big step for us, as we’ve had one of the worst D-1 arenas for a while. i really don’t know that to be true, but it is the ugliest, most outdated, uncomfortable, bottlenecked (foot traffic) arena i’ve ever seen.

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2017, 12:48 AM
JMU is gonna leave the CAA by the time this basketball center is done

CHIP72
October 14th, 2017, 01:01 AM
JMU is gonna leave the CAA by the time this basketball center is done

Towson built a very, very nice basketball arena/sports complex building a few years ago and is still firmly entrenched in the CAA.

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Towson built a very, very nice basketball arena/sports complex building a few years ago and is still firmly entrenched in the CAA.

JMU is building an 8.6k facility with a 47 million dollar athletic budget and a 25k stadium that can be expanded to 50, they aren't staying forever IMO

Winston
October 14th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Now if JMU only brought back Lefty Driesel and won a few more games.

NoVABison
October 14th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Good job Dukes! Way to represent the FCS on College Game Day! Looking forward to watching your game this afternoon.

Katfan
October 14th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Great job JMU! Looks good on TV. Wat to represent!

Laker
October 14th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Great job JMU! Looks good on TV. Wat to represent!

Interesting to watch GameDay on an FCS campus again.

Nova09
October 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM
haha. big step for us, as we’ve had one of the worst D-1 arenas for a while. i really don’t know that to be true, but it is the ugliest, most outdated, uncomfortable, bottlenecked (foot traffic) arena i’ve ever seen.

You are building an arena with more capacity than national champion Villanova. Like I said, please don't mention it

Longhorn
October 14th, 2017, 11:26 AM
You are building an arena with more capacity than national champion Villanova. Like I said, please don't mention it

The arena serves a university with a population more than 3x the size of Nova. The arena will also serve Harrisonburg and the region as a primary host to other cultural and trade events. I'm sure that Nova's arena does not play that kind of role in the Philadelphia area.

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Did Corso make his pick yet? Last time he picked the Dukes he lost.

Nova09
October 14th, 2017, 11:31 AM

Didn't see skull and crossbones, will walk through again in a little bit

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2017, 11:35 AM

Villanova has an arena twice as big as JMU's when they need it.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/mcgettge-20140302141437.jpg

Nova09
October 14th, 2017, 12:46 PM
GT (or anyone else) you in R2? Im holding my double sided sign

Drblankstare
October 14th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Excuse me if this has been asked, what are the viewing options for this game? ESPN 3, etc

CHIP72
October 14th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Excuse me if this has been asked, what are the viewing options for this game? ESPN 3, etc

MASN (regional sports network) in the Mid-Atlantic region, CollegeSportsLive.com everywhere (free stream).

POD Knows
October 14th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Excuse me if this has been asked, what are the viewing options for this game? ESPN 3, etchttp://www.collegesportslive.com/?media=560190

Drblankstare
October 14th, 2017, 01:26 PM
http://www.collegesportslive.com/?media=560190

Thanks xthumbsupx

POD Knows
October 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Thanks xthumbsupxCan't decide whether I should watch this or the UNI/SDSU game. Might have to get a couple games going at the same time.

Schism55
October 14th, 2017, 02:42 PM
JMU with the god awful looking hospital orderly get up

th0m
October 14th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Villanova has an arena twice as big as JMU's when they need it.

You mean they rent a center twice as big as jmu's.

Drblankstare
October 14th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Can't decide whether I should watch this or the UNI/SDSU game. Might have to get a couple games going at the same time.

Yep, got em both going, though it looks like the UNI might blow the Jacks out, hopefully the JMU Vill game is better

Nova09
October 14th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Disgusting game. But at least it's interesting.

Gangtackle11
October 14th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Driving home. Congrats to JMU.

Nova tailgate was in R2 across from Starbucks.

Our offense is god awful.

CHIP72
October 14th, 2017, 08:41 PM

That's why I thought Villanova had little chance of winning. No team is keeping a team that caliber of James Madison down the entire game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 14th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Is the Nova QB out for the season?

CHIP72
October 15th, 2017, 05:45 AM
From the "Whatever It Is Worth" department - the game broadcast on MASN2 (must have been a late decision to televise the game on that channel; tvguide.com said as recently as the day before the game that it would be televised on MASN) and the game stream on collegesportslive.com were two different broadcasts. The MASN2 telecast featured JMU announcers (who IMO did a good job of being pretty unbiased; mind you I was only partially focused on the game for various reasons), while the College Sports Live production had neutral broadcasters.

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Is the Nova QB out for the season?

There has been no official announcement from Villanova saying that Bednarczyk’s injury was season ending,

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Ok. Home after a long ride back from JMU.

Villanova has a top FCS defense that unfortunately is aligned with an offense that hasn’t shown up against playoff quality competition.

JMU’s offense was held in check most of the game as Nova shut off the run game to the tune of 45 total yards, but Schor & company threw for 271 yards.

The game was 6-0 until 2 minutes before the half when JMU was stopped & punting. Nova jumped offsides & gave JMU a 1st down which the Dukes put in the endzone before half &gave them
a 13-0 halftime lead.

2nd half saw JMU extend the lead to 16-0 before 3rd string QB (burned his redshirt in this game) & highly touted Kyle McCloskey ( Dad was Penn State TE & played in NFL) led the Cats on an 18 play ( all runs) TD drive. A successful 2 point conversion made it 16-8 early 4th, but from there JMU imposes their will & Nova folded. Schor threw a TD pass to make it 23-8 & to add insult to injury Nova threw a freaking screen pass inside their 5 which was picked off for an easy final score.

JMU’s Defense was the story as they pressured the 2 young Nova QBs for 6 sacks. 3 Nova turnovers turned a boring, but competitive game into a 22 point win. Nova had 30 yards passing on the day. The OL was pitiful. The play calling is pitiful. There isn’t a lot of FCS playoff caliber talent on that side of the ball.

Kudos to JMU. Nova heads into a bye week. They have 3 of the final 4 games at home. They need to sweep to get to 8-3 & the playoffs. (Elon, Richmond, @URI, Delaware)

They have the defense to do it, but a little help from what can only be described as a putrid offensive football team would be nice.

Hopefully, the break will help them to sort out their issues & maybe get a player or 2 back from injury.

GL to JMU the rest of the way!

Lehigh'98
October 15th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Ok. Home after a long ride back from JMU.

Villanova has a top FCS defense that unfortunately is aligned with an offense that hasn’t shown up against playoff quality competition.

JMU’s offense was held in check most of the game as Nova shut off the run game to the tune of 45 total yards, but Schor & company threw for 271 yards.

The game was 6-0 until 2 minutes before the half when JMU was stopped & punting. Nova jumped offsides & gave JMU a 1st down which the Dukes put in the endzone before half &gave them
a 13-0 halftime lead.

2nd half saw JMU extend the lead to 16-0 before 3rd string QB (burned his redshirt in this game) & highly touted Kyle McCloskey ( Dad was Penn State TE & played in NFL) led the Cats on an 18 play ( all runs) TD drive. A successful 2 point conversion made it 16-8 early 4th, but from there JMU imposes their will & Nova folded. Schor threw a TD pass to make it 23-8 & to add insult to injury Nova threw a freaking screen pass inside their 5 which was picked off for an easy final score.

JMU’s Defense was the story as they pressured the 2 young Nova QBs for 6 sacks. 3 Nova turnovers turned a boring, but competitive game into a 22 point win. Nova had 30 yards passing on the day. The OL was pitiful. The play calling is pitiful. There isn’t a lot of FCS playoff caliber talent on that side of the ball.

Kudos to JMU. Nova heads into a bye week. They have 3 of the final 4 games at home. They need to sweep to get to 8-3 & the playoffs. (Elon, Richmond, @URI, Delaware)

They have the defense to do it, but a little help from what can only be described as a putrid offensive football team would be nice.

Hopefully, the break will help them to sort out their issues & maybe get a player or 2 back from injury.

GL to JMU the rest of the way!

Nova will be a tough out come playoff time as usual imo, but I agree that their offense needs to improve the rest of the way. 'Only' putting up 38 vs Lehigh is now considered a big red flag for offenses.

CHIP72
October 15th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Nova will be a tough out come playoff time as usual imo, but I agree that their offense needs to improve the rest of the way. 'Only' putting up 38 vs Lehigh is now considered a big red flag for offenses.

There are no guarantees Villanova makes the playoffs this year. They probably need to go 4-0 to end the season to likely lock up a spot, and a 3-1 finish (7-4 overall, 7-3 vs FCS opponents, 5-3 in the CAA) would probably put them on the bubble. Their schedule still includes a vastly improved Elon team, always tough Richmond, and a Delaware Blue Hens team that is better than in recent years and will be looking for some payback in the Battle of the Blue. The one saving grace for the Wildcats is that all 3 of those games are at home. (The lone remaining road game for Villanova is at Rhode Island.)

Dukie95
October 15th, 2017, 07:36 AM
It was clear JMU had to adjust to McCloskey, who significantly more mobile than Schetelich. McCloskey ended up being the game's top rusher, despite playing one half.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 15th, 2017, 07:38 AM
The game totally changed when McCloskey took off his red shirt and entered in the 2nd half. A lot of nervous Dukes at 16-8 because of wasted opportunities, a deflating 10 min 18-play grinding drive, and new life and energy from Villanova. McCloskey will win a lot of game for the wildcats in the future.

JMU has the balance that other CAA teams lack, and that to me is the defining difference, which starts with a pretty sick defense. Our running game is just not the same this year, and frankly I am disappointed with RB Marshall so far. But the Oline still is young and the weak spot, as evidenced with two missed opportunities inside Villanova's 5-yard line.

This JMU team is still damn good but not at last year's level on offense due mainly to Oline issues. But I am not convinced that NDSU or South Dakota are better than the Dukes yet. It's setting up so far for a fun, thrilling playoff though.

Dukie95
October 15th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Playing UD and Nova in consecutive weeks will humble your offense. Hopefully, it hardens it, too.

URMite
October 15th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Playing UD and Nova in consecutive weeks will humble your offense. Hopefully, it hardens it, too.
What will UD, SBU, VU, JMU do to your offense on consecutive weeks?

vutomcat
October 15th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Hodge,Gudzak,Padovani,Caszar,bednarczyk on offense.

Wiley, Rolle on defense.

All of these losses are big individually, as a group, just devastating

Just too many injuries to survive against a team with a big chance of repeating for an fcs chip.

Us diehard supporters can only hope Mccluskey can rally the offense enough to win out. Big strong kid.

The only one I have not heard about is hodge.
All others out for season from what I have heard.

A week off helps...

Hard to feel positive right now.

The game day crowd at jmu was crazy good and most of their fans we met were hospitable. As always, a few drunks were there trying to ruin the day.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2017, 08:05 AM

..........SEND YA'S.........TA DREGS....UH I-AA STATS.............BRAWK!

Dukie95
October 15th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Fair point. JMU doesn't have SBU, so I guess we could have it worse. :)

Dukie95
October 15th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Nova's Defensive strength is against rushing. Does UR run? ;)

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Hodge,Gudzak,Padovani,Caszar,bednarczyk on offense.

Wiley, Rolle on defense.

All of these losses are big individually, as a group, just devastating

Just too many injuries to survive against a team with a big chance of repeating for an fcs chip.

Us diehard supporters can only hope Mccluskey can rally the offense enough to win out. Big strong kid.

The only one I have not heard about is hodge.
All others out for season from what I have heard.

A week off helps...

Hard to feel positive right now.

The game day crowd at jmu was crazy good and most of their fans we met were hospitable. As always, a few drunks were there trying to ruin the day.

Hodge isn’t expected back. I think OL Cszasar could return later in season.

Clarification: That’s DE Jeff Wiley. His older brother is starting OLB.

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM
That's why I thought Villanova had little chance of winning. No team is keeping a team that caliber of James Madison down the entire game.

Its a shame that our offense is so pedestrian. The defense should sue for lack of support. Time for a new OC perhaps? Last season 9-4. Scored 21 total points in the 4 losses & 6 were on a defensive score. Its not all on the injuries. It’s time for a change.

centraljerseycat
October 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Its a shame that our offense is so pedestrian. The defense should sue for lack of support. Time for a new OC perhaps? Last season 9-4. Scored 21 total points in the 4 losses & 6 were on a defensive score. Its not all on the injuries. It’s time for a change.

19 years with the same offensive coordinator is an eternity in college football.......

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 07:14 PM
19 years with the same offensive coordinator is an eternity in college football.......

Exactly.....time to get a good up & coming OC who relates to the kids.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Villanova v. Delaware: first to 3 wins!

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Villanova v. Delaware: first to 3 wins!

Massey has it 7-3 Nova currently.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2017, 07:55 PM

It should be interesting. Both seem to have more effective QBs than faced us for most of the game. JMU seemed to adjust to McCloskey after that looooonnng drive, but he was also being asked to go away from his bread and butter. I would probably give the edge to Nova, but both Ds are impressive.

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Driving home. Congrats to JMU.

Nova tailgate was in R2 across from Starbucks.

McClosky burned us on his first TD drive. I think we didn't have much tape on him and had to figure him out on the fly. (ahh i've since read in this thread they burned his RS. So NO tape lol) He had serious dual threat potential.

Yes, you're going to have growing pains with Fr QBs thrown to the wolves mid-season. You did run into a good defensive unit that doesn't give much up dating all the way back to our last run in with VU in 2016. VU's defense is as good as advertised and will have to help win some games for the Wildcats.

Good luck for the rest of 2017.

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2017, 09:58 PM

Just telling you now, check your offensive expectations against those four defenses. Scoring in the 20s and 30s, not in the 40 and 50s.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2017, 06:41 AM

Is that starters out or final score

we are down three starters on de fence since opeNing day

Gangtackle11
October 16th, 2017, 06:58 AM
Is that starters out or final score

we are down three starters on de fence since opeNing day

Lets see:
qb Bednarczyk
Rb Gudzak
TE Bell
WR Hodge
WR Padovani
DE Wiley
S Rolle

I’ll stop there. That’s 7 for us. We win! Lol.

JMU2004
October 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Lets see:
qb Bednarczyk
Rb Gudzak
TE Bell
WR Hodge
WR Padovani
DE Wiley
S Rolle

I’ll stop there. That’s 7 for us. We win! Lol.

JMU:
OT Chavious
RG Butler
RB Johnson
CB Tutt
LB Holloway
ST/LB Carter
TE Kloosterman has played in 2 games, but likely done for most of the year due to illness.

7 in total for us too.

Dukie95
October 16th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Shout out to Nova's outstanding Red-Zone defense. It's not as clear in the box scores, but they forced JMU into three Field Goals...that turned a 28-8 game into a 16-8 game and kept it pretty close into the 4th quarter.

jmufan999
October 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM
JMU:
OT Chavious
RG Butler
RB Johnson
CB Tutt
LB Holloway
ST/LB Carter
TE Kloosterman has played in 2 games, but likely done for most of the year due to illness.

7 in total for us too.

I was going to say this and stopped myself. heard a lot about Nova's injuries and had barely heard a peep about ours. we had WAY better luck with injuries last year, haven't been as lucky this year. that's just the breaks, I guess.