PDA

View Full Version : NEC Pick 'em - Week 6

RedFlash
October 5th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Week 6 – October 7th

Wagner at Duquesne (-5) (1:00 pm - NEC Front Row/ESPN 3)
St. Francis (-20) at Presbyterian (1:00 pm - Big South Network)
Penn (-8.5) at Central Connecticut 1:00 pm - NEC Front Row)
Robert Morris at East Tennessee State (-8.5) (3:30 pm - ESPN 3)

Wagner looked good last week, and nothing would make me happier as an StFU fan then to see Wagner win, but it’s hard to travel in the NEC and I suspect they’ll have a slight let down after their big win against Lehigh last week.
StFU needs to avoid the let down themselves after beating Liberty last week. I hear they are busing it to Clinton, SC – so I’m a little concerned that they will be a little sloppy early on. In the end though, I think they win by 14 or more. BTW, I have to think StFU has never been a 20 point favorite on the road ever before.
I went back and forth on this one before deciding to pick Penn. CCSU is tough to gauge, given the games against Syracuse and YSU tend to skew things a bit.
I think RMU fans are hoping that they can head down to ETSU and get a win, but this isn’t the same team that restarted their program a few years ago. They gave The Citadel a good game but lost to Furman pretty big. And as I said above, it’s hard to travel by bus to some of these locations and expect to play well.

Last week 2-3
Overall 24-6

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Last Week: 2-3 Season: 22-8

Duquesne
STFU
Penn
ETSU

Bluefish845
October 5th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Duquesne Wagner's defense improves each week but the Dukes are solid on both sides of the ball
STFU The Red FLash keep pilling up OOC w's representing the NEC well, they have turned into a very sound all around team and will present a huge challenge for the NEC to overcome
Penn Last week SHU handed CCSU 6 gifts, 3 picks, 2 fumbles and punt team gaff/block and still managed over 500 yards of offense. Penn by 2 scores here
ETSU Another Road trip for Bobby Mo, defense will keep it close but will be worn down by the Upstart Bucs

bonarae
October 5th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Duquesne
St. Francis
Penn
ETSU

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 5th, 2017, 09:22 PM
We are busing to Presbyterian. Just left tonight, actually.

Original_RMC
October 6th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Penn @ CCSU - Just which CCSU will show up to play? CCSU could easily be 3-2 but they will take 1-0 in the NEC. If CCSU can get pressure on their QB to slow down Penn getting the ball to their all-everything WR, Justin Watson, then I think CCSU has a good chance at home.
CCSU 26 Penn 24

Wagner @ Duquesne - when are AJ Hines & PJ Fulmore finally going to be healthy. Dukes are playing with their 3rd string RB but its Tommy Stuart being the highlight of this offense. And who is the Dukes RB? It's Fr. DeWayne Murray from Steel Valley that RMU lost out on. The media depth chart for the Dukes show either Hines or Fulmore to start. With the way SFU is playing, the Dukes need Hines back. I would expect to hear his game on Saturday. Wagner is coming off a big home win vs. Lehigh. This is one of those long NEC road trips that programs hate. Luke Massei is doing a great job settling in at QB for Wagner. It will be a close game but the Dukes will win this in the 4th quarter with ball control and rushing.
Dukes 27 Wagner 23

SFU @ Presbyterian - SFU is a (-20) favorite in this game. WOW. Presbyterian is a Big South team but not a very good one. SFU left on Thursday for that bus trip to Clinton, SC. Smart move by SFU staff. SFU might start slow and it might be a close half time score...hell Preb might be winning but SFU is too strong and will win this in the 2nd half.
SFU 34 Preb 17

RMU @ East Tennessee State - This is not the same ESTU team RMU beat in 2015. There will be familiar names on the depth chart but this is a much better ESTU team. They have played two top-15 teams in the FCS; JMU & The Citadel. ETSU game the Citadel all they could handle but still came up short. RMU is going to have to shut down this passing attack headed by Austin Hernik. There are still some question marks for this RMU team. Who is their #1 RB? #1 WR? I know RMU has a very tough Def but this could turn into a shootout and I'm not sure if RMU has the firepower right now to keep up if it comes to that. This will be a close game but ETSU will find a way late in the game to put this one way.
ETSU 23 RMU 16

RedFlash
October 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM
We are busing to Presbyterian. Just left tonight, actually.

I agree with Original_RMC, this was a smart move by the StFU coaching staff. I recall a few years ago, StFU had a bus break down on the way to Bryant and they spent 12 hours on the buses the day before the game. They came out flat the next day and got off to a lousy start and ended up losing by 2 points (failing to convert a 2 point conversion late in the game) and cost themselves a chance to tie for the conference championship that year. The bus trips in the NEC can be a big equalizer sometimes.

ElCid
October 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Week 6 – October 7th

Wagner at Duquesne (-5) (1:00 pm - NEC Front Row/ESPN 3)
St. Francis (-20) at Presbyterian (1:00 pm - Big South Network)
Penn (-8.5) at Central Connecticut 1:00 pm - NEC Front Row)
Robert Morris at East Tennessee State (-8.5) (3:30 pm - ESPN 3)

I think RMU fans are hoping that they can head down to ETSU and get a win, but this isn’t the same team that restarted their program a few years ago. They gave The Citadel a good game and beat Furman last week soundly. And as I said above, it’s hard to travel by bus to some of these locations and expect to play well.

Last week 2-3m
Overall 24-6

ETSU didn't beat Furman. Furman won 56-35 and had a much bigger lead than that. But the Bucs are a pretty good team. They have been improving every week. They did beat Mercer in OT the week prior. They are a bit inconsistent at times on D, but can move the ball and their QB can burn anyone if given the chance. I think they take this at home by two scores.

RedFlash
October 7th, 2017, 08:08 AM
ETSU didn't beat Furman. Furman won 56-35 and had a much bigger lead than that. But the Bucs are a pretty good team. They have been improving every week. They did beat Mercer in OT the week prior. They are a bit inconsistent at times on D, but can move the ball and their QB can burn anyone if given the chance. I think they take this at home by two scores.

Thanks for catching my mistake Cid. I must have misread the score in my haste to get this post up. It is corrected above.