PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's Comm... er... Rumors

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Not exactly commits, but the rumor mill has been hot and heavy because of RichH.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Pard4Life
February 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Damn Princeton... they signed a First-Team NJ DE with scholarship offers from Wake Forest and Northwestern... went for the academics.. now this kid is thinking... they should all be doing that...

Interesting... but a poll on espn.com has only 11% of voters giving "academic offerings" the top reason to look at a school... tied for last with "location"... sad sad America..

ngineer
February 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Damn Princeton... they signed a First-Team NJ DE with scholarship offers from Wake Forest and Northwestern... went for the academics.. now this kid is thinking... they should all be doing that...

Interesting... but a poll on espn.com has only 11% of voters giving "academic offerings" the top reason to look at a school... tied for last with "location"... sad sad America..

So, so true. All these kids with visions of sugarplums and not realizing that only 1% will ever play professional. Reminds me of the NCAA basketball tourney about 20 years ago when UNLV was seeded #1 with Tarkanian as the coach and they were scheduled to play Drexel University in the first round. Interviewer asked the Rebel's captain what he knew of their first round opponent, the Drexel Dragons,and he says," not much, I think Drexel's one of those academic schools." Still one of my favorite quotes of all time, but also a sad commentary on our collegiate athletic system...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Just so people know, I am updating this through the day if any rumored commits come to light. I already added the kid from Whitehall to my blog posting.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

LeopardFan04
February 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Don't see Dan Jones of Upper Perk on your lists...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17824199&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18040&rfi=6

sorry if you caught that one already...article also says Schauder will play center or tackle...

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Looks like the Pards hit jackpot with their recruits! :rotateh:

Let's see how Lehigh does..

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! He's been added.

If anyone out there on the World Wide Net know of any commitments in FL, GA, TX, CA, if you could post them here I'll definitely put them on my blog as well. PA/NJ are usually pretty good at getting the word out, but it's those California newspapers I don't check every day. :p

carney2
February 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Looks like the Pards hit jackpot with their recruits! :rotateh:

Let's see how Lehigh does..

Word on the street is that Lehigh is doing just fine. Here's hoping that

1. the "street" word about Lehigh is correct,

and

2. all of this hype about a bunch of untested high school kids pans out,

because

it is a lot more fun to play THE Game for more than just bragging rights, isnt it?

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Word on the street is that Lehigh is doing just fine. Here's hoping that

1. the "street" word about Lehigh is correct,

and

2. all of this hype about a bunch of untested high school kids pans out,

because

it is a lot more fun to play THE Game for more than just bragging rights, isnt it?

Yeah, I like the first-place game of the past three seasons. We return to Goodman this year, and we needed a miracle to win there last time and have only two wins all-time. The Lafayette-Lehigh arms race is at an all-time high.

letsgopards04
February 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Any word on if Adam Bednarik is finally gonna leave WVU for Lehigh? I know there were during the season.

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Any word on if Adam Bednarik is finally gonna leave WVU for Lehigh? I know there were during the season.

Nope, but I read somwhere on the Lehigh board he was arrested for DWI, unless that's a made-up rumor...

LeopardFan04
February 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Nope, but I read somwhere on the Lehigh board he was arrested for DWI, unless that's a made-up rumor...

not sure of the Bednarik to LU rumors, but the DWI did take place...

carney2
February 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I thought that we finally "concluded" (as if we, on this board, have the power to conclude anything) that he couldn't do it because of the new (2006) I-A to I-AA transfer rules. He has, I believe, only one year of eligibility remaining and the new rules require that a transfer have at least two in order to be eligible at his new school.

Oh yeah, this marks the 6th consecutive post to this thread by the loyal opposition. C'mon, Squawks, we want to hear more about your incomings.

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I thought that we finally "concluded" (as if we, on this board, have the power to conclude anything) that he couldn't do it because of the new (2006) I-A to I-AA transfer rules. He has, I believe, only one year of eligibility remaining and the new rules require that a transfer have at least two in order to be eligible at his new school.

Oh yeah, this marks the 6th consecutive post to this thread by the loyal opposition. C'mon, Squawks, we want to hear more about your incomings.

Maybe they got coal in their stocking this monring? :D :rotateh:

Lehigh74
February 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I spoke with the ticket manager this morning and he says that the coaching staff is very happy with the recruiting class. He also said not to read anything into the fact that a formal announcement will not be released until next week. That is the practice Lehigh has always followed.

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I spoke with the ticket manager this morning and he says that the coaching staff is very happy with the recruiting class. He also said not to read anything into the fact that a formal announcement will not be released until next week. That is the practice Lehigh has always followed.

That's like asking the White House how well the Iraq war is going. :rolleyes: :D

cosmo here
February 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Here's Lehigh's release from yesterday . . you can put Lafayette in for Lehigh in each of those phrases - doesn't take part in NLI, students sign a letter declaring their intentions, admissions and financial aid review information - but Lafayette still put its release out yesterday on "signing day".

The Lehigh football program will be prepared to release a formal list of recruits early next week. Lehigh does not take part in the national letter of intent program; rather recruits sign a letter of understanding declaring their intentions to attend Lehigh and join the football program once they have been favorably reviewed by the admissions office and received financial aid eligibility and award information. Therefore, Lehigh has elected to wait until the entire group of newcomers has been solidified before releasing a list.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=5163

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Here's Lehigh's release from yesterday . . you can put Lafayette in for Lehigh in each of those phrases - doesn't take part in NLI, students sign a letter declaring their intentions, admissions and financial aid review information - but Lafayette still put its release out yesterday on "signing day".

The Lehigh football program will be prepared to release a formal list of recruits early next week. Lehigh does not take part in the national letter of intent program; rather recruits sign a letter of understanding declaring their intentions to attend Lehigh and join the football program once they have been favorably reviewed by the admissions office and received financial aid eligibility and award information. Therefore, Lehigh has elected to wait until the entire group of newcomers has been solidified before releasing a list.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=5163

Personally, I think Lehigh and Lafayette do this on purpose in order to get maximum publicity for their signings. LU and LC are both smart: they know LU fans will be pouring over LC's signings, and vice versa. I think they do this for other things too, like releasing schedules, etc. :twocents:

cosmo here
February 8th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Personally, I think Lehigh and Lafayette do this on purpose in order to get maximum publicity for their signings. LU and LC are both smart: they know LU fans will be pouring over LC's signings, and vice versa. I think they do this for other things too, like releasing schedules, etc. :twocents:

You may be right . . I still think that both would be clamoring over space the day after signing day, if both had their lists, bios and information together. Certainly in the Lehigh Valley, the Morning Call would give them top billing if their list was put out, and I don't think they'd willingly cede that to Lafayette unless it was necessary.

carney2
February 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
You may be right . . I still think that both would be clamoring over space the day after signing day, if both had their lists, bios and information together. Certainly in the Lehigh Valley, the Morning Call would give them top billing if their list was put out, and I don't think they'd willingly cede that to Lafayette unless it was necessary.

I remember reading somewhere in the past few days that Coen did not want to release any info until all of the paperwork is in order. My limited knowledge base and intellect read that to mean that since a Lehigh coach or representative cannot be with every signee on February 7, there was going to be FAX, snail mail, whatever involved to get the official signed forms in to Bethlehem. Interpretation: Coen is being conservative, safe, etc. and does not want any "unpleasant surprises" such as an 18-year old changing his mind at the last minute (That would never happen, right?!)after what he considers might be a premature announcement on the 7th.

cosmo here
February 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I remember reading somewhere in the past few days that Coen did not want to release any info until all of the paperwork is in order. My limited knowledge base and intellect read that to mean that since a Lehigh coach or representative cannot be with every signee on February 7, there was going to be FAX, snail mail, whatever involved to get the official signed forms in to Bethlehem. Interpretation: Coen is being conservative, safe, etc. and does not want any "unpleasant surprises" such as an 18-year old changing his mind at the last minute (That would never happen, right?!)after what he considers might be a premature announcement on the 7th.

To the best of my knowledge Lafayette has to do the same thing (wait for faxes) and are presumably very careful to make sure they have everything in order, that's why the list isn't sent out until very late in the day (I didn't see it until after 5 yesterday). I'm not aware of any problems Lafayette has had using this system the last two years while still putting the list out on signing day.

Fordham
February 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Interesting that everyone in the PL seems pretty happy with their recruits - even moreso than I remember being the case the past few years (not that everyone wasn't pleased ... just not at this level). Seems to indicate that we're either doing better than expected or else we still have no idea what the hell we're all talking about on here and it's just an amazing crapshoot that'll play itself out once they hit camp (I'll take the latter).

In addition to being very pumped up about our class overall (the eternal optimist) I found it very interesting that many kids seemed to be fought over by almost all PL schools ... with the exception of us. Whether it's b/c we're getting kids from TX, CA, IL, etc., I'm not sure. I just don't remember us having so little in common overall (not in EVERY case) with you guys in going after the same kids. It'll be interesting to see how this plays itself out and whether or not in a few years we'll be saying that our staff found some amazing talent that you guys didn't or if we'll be saying that we obviously couldn't compete well enough for the kids that you were all looking at.

ngineer
February 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
It may well be that a recruit or two needs to be futher evaluated by Admissions. I also remember last year that we got 'burned' on a recruit who 'committed' to Lehigh, but then changed afterward to Holy Cross. From all the commits being reported on LFN and the Lehigh Voy Board, I'm not concerned about the later announcement. I think schools are also allowed another visit this weekend? Which may also account for not wanting to issue the 'final list' until "all hands are on deck"...;)

carney2
February 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It may well be that a recruit or two needs to be futher evaluated by Admissions. I also remember last year that we got 'burned' on a recruit who 'committed' to Lehigh, but then changed afterward to Holy Cross. From all the commits being reported on LFN and the Lehigh Voy Board, I'm not concerned about the later announcement. I think schools are also allowed another visit this weekend? Which may also account for not wanting to issue the 'final list' until "all hands are on deck"...;)

Interesting that everyone in the PL seems pretty happy with their recruits - even moreso than I remember being the case the past few years (not that everyone wasn't pleased ... just not at this level). Seems to indicate that we're either doing better than expected or else we still have no idea what the hell we're all talking about on here and it's just an amazing crapshoot that'll play itself out once they hit camp (I'll take the latter).

Unrelated quotes, but they both come back to the same thing: this whole recruiting game is one cockamamie strange process. I will freely admit that I don't have a clue. Let's hope that the coaches know something.

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM

In addition to being very pumped up about our class overall (the eternal optimist) I found it very interesting that many kids seemed to be fought over by almost all PL schools ... with the exception of us. Whether it's b/c we're getting kids from TX, CA, IL, etc., I'm not sure. I just don't remember us having so little in common overall (not in EVERY case) with you guys in going after the same kids. It'll be interesting to see how this plays itself out and whether or not in a few years we'll be saying that our staff found some amazing talent that you guys didn't or if we'll be saying that we obviously couldn't compete well enough for the kids that you were all looking at.

Another thing to watch-out for is this recruiting database I saw something about... allows teams to recruit more and investigate players outside of our area. Once we start getting kids from Texas and California, I'll believe in the new system.

Also, I was kind of disturbed Lafayette only landed 2 (?!) players from New Jersey. Traditionally, we have about a dozen from NJ and in some years, they made up over half the class. In the local Star-Ledger, there were alot of good players who ended up going to Monmouth... and a small handful I believe we were after. Like Tavani said in an interview, you have to go outside of your area to recruit now.

Fordham
February 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Another thing to watch-out for is this recruiting database I saw something about... allows teams to recruit more and investigate players outside of our area. Once we start getting kids from Texas and California, I'll believe in the new system.

Also, I was kind of disturbed Lafayette only landed 2 (?!) players from New Jersey. Traditionally, we have about a dozen from NJ and in some years, they made up over half the class. In the local Star-Ledger, there were alot of good players who ended up going to Monmouth... and a small handful I believe we were after. Like Tavani said in an interview, you have to go outside of your area to recruit now.

It's looking like we'll have around 10 kids coming in from TX/AZ/CA with this class so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Regarding Monmouth (in particular), I noticed the same thing and it once again reinforces the need for the PL to go scholly. Too bad 13 isn't around much any more since he always seemed to have the best inside info on where in the process that thing was.

ngineer
February 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Another good article in today's Morning Call about the travails of recruiting in the PL with focus on Tavani and Coen. Frank virtually comes out and says we have to go to scholarships if we're going to keep pace with the Ivies. Our academic profile is now higher than theirs, so awarding merit based scholarships as we do now in basketball is the only way to stay competitive on the football field down the road.

ngineer
February 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
HC Andy Coen sent a letter to football supporters today saying that of 39 official visits this year, 28 have committed to Lehigh with 2 still undecided. The focus this year was on the lines and secondary and 10 'big guys' are in the fold along with 5 DB's. Lehigh will have seven seniors among the secondary this coming year, so stocking up for the future. Also two QB's from Florida, and 3 WR's with excellent speed and hands.
Interestingly, one of the top-rated PK/P's in the country has been signed up, too. Leo will be a junior, but has been doing both and perhaps we'll see those jobs split to lighten his load.
The full list with hometowns, 'dimensions', etc. will be released early next week.:thumbsup:

cosmo here
February 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
HC Andy Coen sent a letter to football supporters today saying that of 39 official visits this year, 28 have committed to Lehigh with 2 still undecided. The focus this year was on the lines and secondary and 10 'big guys' are in the fold along with 5 DB's. Lehigh will have seven seniors among the secondary this coming year, so stocking up for the future. Also two QB's from Florida, and 3 WR's with excellent speed and hands.
Interestingly, one of the top-rated PK/P's in the country has been signed up, too. Leo will be a junior, but has been doing both and perhaps we'll see those jobs split to lighten his load.
The full list with hometowns, 'dimensions', etc. will be released early next week.:thumbsup:

any names on that list that you can enlighten us with?

ngineer
February 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
any names on that list that you can enlighten us with?

Not at my fingertips, however if you travel over to LFN's blog or the Lehigh Voy Board, I believe a number of the names floated there are probably accurate. Several of the linemen are from New Jersey from what I hear.

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Not at my fingertips, however if you travel over to LFN's blog or the Lehigh Voy Board, I believe a number of the names floated there are probably accurate. Several of the linemen are from New Jersey from what I hear.

Well there goes our advantage in the trenches.

ngineer
February 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM

You guys have had the corner on the beef market for years. Andy has recognized the need for more girth if we're going to start pounding the ball more.

ngineer
February 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Who's this kid Brallier that has the Lehigh Voy Board all a-buzz. 6'3" 295 DT from California??

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Added the latest names to my blog posting. Brallier out of California looks like someone to get the Brown & White faithful really excited - a huge NT/NG that is a "two gap presence". He could be the linchpin in a truly frightening 3-4 defense down the road, assuming things pan out.

Fordham
February 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
for those of you (us) with a rivals account, you can see Brallier play. He is definitely a big 'un. Who knows how good the competition is but he definitely dominated in the series' that I watched. Comes up a little high our of his stance but when you think about it, he was dominating by just moving forward and so didn't need to work on technique too much. What I really liked about him was his size and what appeared to be (from the little that I watched) a bit of a nasty streak (which I absolutely love).

Congrats Engineers!

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM
for those of you (us) with a rivals account, you can see Brallier play. He is definitely a big 'un. Who knows how good the competition is but he definitely dominated in the series' that I watched. Comes up a little high our of his stance but when you think about it, he was dominating by just moving forward and so didn't need to work on technique too much. What I really liked about him was his size and what appeared to be (from the little that I watched) a bit of a nasty streak (which I absolutely love).

Congrats Engineers!

Pff... hope he makes it as far as Nebraska and then turns back...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Pff... hope he makes it as far as Nebraska and then turns back...

Or Kansas... do they play football there? :p

Pard94
February 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Fear not Pard4Life...we still have Heffner coaching the Big Uglies!

Advantage Lafayette!

carney2
February 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Or Kansas... do they play football there? :p

You may truly regret those words - and soon.

Lehigh74
February 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
You may truly regret those words - and soon.

How about if we wait for this phenom from Kansas to report for spring practice before we christen him the second coming of Jerry Rice.

carney2
February 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
How about if we wait for this phenom from Kansas to report for spring practice before we christen him the second coming of Jerry Rice.

No christening; just drooling.:nod:

cosmo here
February 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Padia won't be in until preseason starts in August.

PapaBear
February 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM

You mean the second coming of David Ball, right?:nono:

(Relax, UNH fans. It was a compliment.)

jjabu4
February 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
two words Kenny Shaw..

RSizzle
February 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
two words Kenny Shaw..
Nice snag for lehigh... looking at the article from http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com i can see this kid sounds real motivated and determined to do wel! Good For him! 4.47.... he's a burner too.. check out his stats on maxpreps.com they are pretty self explanatory..:hurray: Here's the link..http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/AthleteID-daec12a9-c5c3-4513-9721-f7684f01df67/SchoolID-239c4e28-a48f-4cf3-ab07-db3613861d20/Boys_Varsity_Football_Fall_06-07/California/AreaID-8e11e7d4-d3fa-4e6f-827f-652c29439d27

ngineer
February 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Nice snag for lehigh... looking at the article from http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com i can see this kid sounds real motivated and determined to do wel! Good For him! 4.47.... he's a burner too.. check out his stats on maxpreps.com they are pretty self explanatory..:hurray: Here's the link..http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/AthleteID-daec12a9-c5c3-4513-9721-f7684f01df67/SchoolID-239c4e28-a48f-4cf3-ab07-db3613861d20/Boys_Varsity_Football_Fall_06-07/California/AreaID-8e11e7d4-d3fa-4e6f-827f-652c29439d27

Nice to see Andy attracting some speed merchants. We lacked an experienced deep threat last year, though I think Yansane has potential.

ngineer
February 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM

A newbie Mountain Hawk! Welcome aboard--always looking for more Brown and White blood...:thumbsup:

RichH2
February 24th, 2007, 06:29 PM
And Zurm the qb from Jim thorpe is even faster

RichH2
February 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
While Walter's listed 40 of 4.34 may be somewhat optimistic he probably is the fastest wr in this class.

Lehigh74
February 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome RichH. It is good to have you posting on AGS. We need all the Lehigh guys we can get. If you click on User CP then Edit Avatar you can add a Lehigh helmet, to make sure readers know where your loyalties lie.:smiley_wi

Engineer91
February 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Welcome RichH. It is good to have you posting on AGS. We need all the Lehigh guys we can get. If you click on User CP then Edit Avatar you can add a Lehigh helmet, to make sure readers know where your loyalties lie.:smiley_wi

OR if you prefer something a little older I can send you an Engineer ;)

The Last Engineer
February 27th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Not that Engineer91 knows anything about being older. How's the weather up in Ithaca, Luke?

Much to like about the Lehigh class although obviously paper is not the gridiron. Sounds like Brallier has a real shot at making a big contribution this upcoming season. Is it just me or does Coen seem a lot more likely to put the frosh on the field than Lembo did? I'd think that a legit shot to play right away could be a big selling point.

Lehigh74
February 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
OR if you prefer something a little older I can send you an Engineer ;)

As I recall, several years before Lehigh changed the school mascot from Engineer to Mountain Hawk, they made it known that the Engineer was really a train Engineer and not an Engineer Engineer.

Although only time will tell us for sure, I agree that our recruiting class seems to have some players who can help as early as next season.

RichH2
February 27th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Thank you for the welcome back, Looking for the old helmet white with brown stripe.

I would look for Brallier definitely to play DL. Some of the OL will be in the 2 deep. Shaw ,Walter, Linder and Doukouslis to see time

Engineer91
February 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
As I recall, several years before Lehigh changed the school mascot from Engineer to Mountain Hawk, they made it known that the Engineer was really a train Engineer and not an Engineer Engineer.

Although only time will tell us for sure, I agree that our recruiting class seems to have some players who can help as early as next season.

Then how about an L-train logo?

RichH2
February 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Close enuf for us guys from the 60's

ngineer
February 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you for the welcome back, Looking for the old helmet white with brown stripe.
I would look for Brallier definitely to play DL. Some of the OL will be in the 2 deep. Shaw ,Walter, Linder and Doukouslis to see time

We had TWO brown stripes in the '70's--plus the brown interlocking LU--still my prefered helmet.
And yes, the "Engineers" was and is in reference to Asa Packer has founder of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, which was a major financial engine at the turn of the century, and hence the train engine bell that gets rung after we score.:nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM
We had TWO brown stripes in the '70's--plus the brown interlocking LU--still my prefered helmet.
And yes, the "Engineers" was and is in reference to Asa Packer has founder of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, which was a major financial engine at the turn of the century, and hence the train engine bell that gets rung after we score.:nod:

Proud gift from the class of '92, of which I am a member. :nod:

The Last Engineer
February 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Couldn't find a pre-1997 helmet, but I did have this picture of the field from the 1986 Lehigh-Delaware game. Apparently some particularly enthusiastic Engineers fans snuck into Delaware Stadium and left their mark before the game. You just don't see that sort of commitment any more.