View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 6

carney2
October 1st, 2017, 08:49 PM
Unfreakinbelievable! The team picked to finish last is first. The team picked to finish first has yet to win a game. Coaches are being hung in effigy – at least we hope it’s in effigy. But, it’s early.

LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ Princeton
Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE

Bye: BUCKNELL

Game of the Week: Fordham @ Lafayette. First place is on the line. A month ago this looked like a big nothing blowout, with the big game taking place on the tundra. This may still be a blowout, but that other game is looking like a ho-hum.

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 08:52 PM
COLGATE
Princeton
Monmouth
LAFAYETTE

aceinthehole
October 1st, 2017, 08:54 PM
Can't Monmouth win the Patriot League Championship this week? :)

W, 31-12 vs. Lafayette
W, 46-27 vs. Lehigh
W, 35-13 at Bucknell
Nov. 7 at Holy Cross

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2017, 09:09 PM

W, 31-12 vs. Lafayette
W, 46-27 vs. Lehigh
W, 35-13 at Bucknell
Nov. 7 at Holy Cross

College of Faith could win the PL this year.

bonarae
October 1st, 2017, 10:48 PM
Colgate
Princeton
Monmouth
Lafayette

carney2
October 2nd, 2017, 10:40 AM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE – A moratorium on picking Lehigh for anything except shoving their heads further up their butts.

GEORGETOWN @ Princeton – Not a football game, a massacre.

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS – A reluctant nod to the team that beat New Hampshire.

FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE – Those picking Lafayette should note that Holy Cross was beaten with 220 yds. of total offense and minus 6 yds. rushing.

On the bright side, at least two Patriot League teams will win this week.

carney2
October 2nd, 2017, 10:45 AM

W, 31-12 vs. Lafayette
W, 46-27 vs. Lehigh
W, 35-13 at Bucknell
Nov. 7 at Holy Cross

How about NOW?!

CHIP72
October 2nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
I'm personally not liking Bucknell's chances vs Bye, a non-Patriot League member.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2017, 11:19 AM
Lehigh 21 @ COLGATE 31
GEORGETOWN 10 @ Princeton 33
Monmouth 27 @ HOLY CROSS 21
FORDHAM 34 @ Lafayette 14

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 11:46 AM
How angry will Princeton be this week when Georgetown visits? Talk about running into a team at the worst possible time.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
Anyone picking Monmouth to lose to Holy Cross this week is nuts.

Fordham
October 2nd, 2017, 12:03 PM
ugh. What as season!

Hope Lafayette waves to us on their way up the escalator as we free fall below them

KillaBee
October 2nd, 2017, 02:21 PM
WHOAAAAAA BABY!!!!!!!!

I have some houses to bet!!!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 02:21 PM
WHOAAAAAA BABY!!!!!!!!

I have some houses to bet!!!!!!

Except the week where it counted.

KillaBee
October 2nd, 2017, 02:27 PM
Except the week where it counted.

AHHHH,, The Hive... is oozing with honey!!!

yes, I've been away, BUT ANYWAY!!

It's where I'm headed!!!! Do I smell fear?

Lehigh'98
October 2nd, 2017, 03:27 PM
AHHHH,, The Hive... is oozing with honey!!!

yes, I've been away, BUT ANYWAY!!

It's where I'm headed!!!! Do I smell fear?

That's not fear you smell coming from the PL this year....

Bill
October 2nd, 2017, 03:32 PM
That's not fear you smell coming from the PL this year....

No, it's the smell of the compost pile underneath the hive.

Bill
October 2nd, 2017, 03:37 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ Princeton
Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE

Bye: BUCKNELL

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM
Last Week: 4-2 Season: 20-12

Lehigh 41 @ Colgate 44
Georgetown 14 @ Princeton 38
Monmouth 24 @ Holy Cross 20
Fordham 24 @ Lafayette 17

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2017, 04:49 PM
Anyone picking Monmouth to lose to Holy Cross this week is nuts.

Nuts, but the favorite!!!

Monmouth at Holy Cross - Saturday, October 7, 2017 1:05 PM

533 Monmouth
+3 -120

Over 52 -120

534 Holy Cross
-3 -120

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
Last Week: 4-2 Season: 20-12

Lehigh 41 @ Colgate 44
Georgetown 14 @ Princeton 38
Monmouth 24 @ Holy Cross 20
Fordham 24 @ Lafayette 17

You forgot the third digit in front of Colgate's score

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
Nuts, but the favorite!!!

Monmouth at Holy Cross - Saturday, October 7, 2017 1:05 PM

533 Monmouth
+3 -120

Over 52 -120

534 Holy Cross
-3 -120

Who likes free money?

Bill
October 2nd, 2017, 05:18 PM
I'm not a degenerate gambler...but I'm willing to come out of retirement for Monmouth and the over in a tease....

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2017, 05:52 PM
I'm beginning to run out of words to summarize each week, which seem to mix the depressing and the bizarre in their own unpredictable way. I guess that is a couple more words. Some teams are going to start racking up wins now that the bulk of the OOC slate is finished, so some of this will start to look better, I think. 4-2 last week, 21-11 on the season.

Lehigh at Colgate Colgate Questions here surround Lehigh. Are the Hawks a beaten team, simply unable to get up for a competitive game? Or a wounded, cornered animal, far more dangerous than under normal circumstances? I doubt the Raiders ever overlook Lehigh, and I imagine there are some good feelings going around Hamilton after a solid road win. Going to be interesting to see how well the offense (which has struggled most of the year) fares against the Hawks' beleaguered defense.

Georgetown at Princeton Princeton Georgetown's offensive woes continue. Can they string together some points against Princeton? Perhaps. I've already seen a comment here about Princeton being mad after their loss to Columbia. I can't see how that really makes a difference here. Princeton is better and at home.

Monmouth at Holy Cross Monmouth I hesitated here. The Cross' win against UNH still looms large in my mind, in spite of their lackluster followup performance. With an eye to past results, though, it is hard to pick against the Hawks when facing the PL.

Fordham at Lafayette Fordham Speaking of hesitation, what to do with either of these teams? Are the Leopards making real progress, enough to feel like they can additionally spoil (or perhaps even compete) in the League race? Are the Rams...well, what are the Rams? This is a roller-coaster program that seems to have an allergic reaction to average coaches. Experience has taught me to avoid reading too much into that game where Lafayette surprises everyone. Or has it?

Bluefish845
October 2nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ Princeton
Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE

PAllen
October 2nd, 2017, 06:50 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ Princeton
Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE

This. How long will the o'fer last?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2017, 06:59 PM
I'm headed to Colgate this week but not for a football game. We have a 12:30 tee time on Thursday at Seven Oaks. I'm going to watch the debacle on Saturday at home...

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2017, 07:19 PM
It would not surprise me if Lehigh breaks through against Colgate. They have gotten some big wins up there over the years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2017, 07:23 PM
It would not surprise me if Lehigh breaks through against Colgate. They have gotten some big wins up there over the years.

I feel like Lehigh has had more success in Hamilton than most but this is downtrodden Mountain Hawk team. They lost to Wagner by 17 points for goodness sake.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM
The Time Is Now: Lehigh Needs to Win A Football Game, Now

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-time-is-now-lehigh-needs-to-win.html

ngineer
October 2nd, 2017, 10:32 PM
Dumpster Fire League picks for the week:

The biggest question in Old Nassau will be whether Hoyas offense will score. Tiggar wins in a skate, 45-7

Monmouth continues its dominance of the PL (never gonna get an invite that way...as if they ever would), as Crusaders can't recover from being pussy-whipped last week, 34-17.

A flukey win can sometimes ignite a winning streak. I still cannot see the Spotted Pussies beating the hornless Rams. One may go "ewe" with this one but, no sheep, Fordham's maroon is stronger. 31-20.

What was going to be a monster clash on the tundra, has melted into a "meh" game. Will 1,000, total show up? While I almost always see a way for the Mountain Hawk's to figure out a win, I cannot do that after watching our sieve of a defense. Last week, the O did not step up to the challenge and is now missing several pieces. I see a serious lack of confidence factor growing based on the continued mistakes that recur. If this becomes a blowout, I expect the drums to start beating for a house cleaning. I won't be shocked if Lehigh figures out a way to win this as, just maybe, the talent we thought was there in August shows itself. But I am not betting on it, Raiders 41-38.

Gangtackle11
October 3rd, 2017, 08:34 AM
You forgot the third digit in front of Colgate's score

Hopefully it's not on the back end where I forgot it. xpeacex

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
Dumpster Fire League picks for the week:

The biggest question in Old Nassau will be whether Hoyas offense will score. Tiggar wins in a skate, 45-7.

Probably won't be in the first half.

Score by quarters
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Georgetown

Opponents

KPSUL
October 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
Colgate
Princeton
Holy Cross
Fordham

Sader87
October 3rd, 2017, 11:42 AM
This is the type of game Gilmore coached HC teams have had a propensity to win actually. Just when it looks like they are going to go in complete free-fall, they pull off a game like this (see: Harvard last year, Albany a couple years ago etc). Of course they then proceed to lose a game they shouldn't (see: lot of Georgetown games this past decade etc).

It's the maddening inconsistency that drives HC fans like myself nuts.

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2017, 12:03 PM
Colgate
Princeton
Monmouth
Lafayette

Colgate Raider Redux
October 3rd, 2017, 12:08 PM
This is the type of game Gilmore coached HC teams have had a propensity to win actually. Just when it looks like they are going to go in complete free-fall, they pull off a game like this (see: Harvard last year, Albany a couple years ago etc). Of course they then proceed to lose a game they shouldn't (see: lot of Georgetown games this past decade etc).

It's the maddening inconsistency that drives HC fans like myself nuts.

And H.C. 2017 shouldn't be written off as a "bad" team. It's just erratic.
Pehaps that explains why the H.C. fanbase on Crossboards has grown to be so manic and defensive ?

Sader87
October 3rd, 2017, 12:45 PM
"Erratic" is probably the best moniker to give this year's Holy Cross team. Much like everyone else in the PL this year (save for maybe Georgetown), they are probably good enough to win every league game but also bad/erratic/poorly coached etc enough on any given Saturday (no plug intended :)) to lose to any PL team.

It's actually kind of a shame, the defense has been better than it's ever been since we gave up scholarships in the early 1990s and could easily be standing at 4-1 and 2-0 in the PL right now...but it is what it is.

Colgate Raider Redux
October 3rd, 2017, 01:45 PM
Much like everyone else in the PL this year (save for maybe Georgetown), they are probably good enough to win every league game but also bad/erratic/poorly coached etc enough on any given Saturday (no plug intended :)) to lose to any PL team.

I agree. It seems like every team has had a good range of competition in its o.o.c. schedule. You have Lehigh's Bragalone and Fordham's Edmonds, who've missed most of o.o.c. play, working their way back into the lineup. I'm not writing off L.U. or F.U. yet. Colgate's freshman quarterback will continue on a short leash, to keep its O unexciting and probably low-scoring. But All-American candidate Afriye and others are coming back from injuries on D, while many "young-ins" have stepped-up in their absence ( 9 sacks and four interceptions against Cornell. ) The key 'gate back Holland returns to lead the three-tailback-tag-team, along with the qb's running. I'm not a "homer," so I think it's still possible for H.C., L.U. Fordham or Gate to win the P.L.. It's fluid. I think there may be more competitive games in the P.L. than we've seen for years. We'll have a better picture in a couple of weeks than we have now.

Sader87
October 3rd, 2017, 02:30 PM
"Erratic" is probably the best moniker to give this year's Holy Cross team. Much like everyone else in the PL this year (save for maybe Georgetown), they are probably good enough to win every league game but also bad/erratic/poorly coached etc enough on any given Saturday (no plug intended :)) to lose to any PL team.

It's actually kind of a shame, the defense has been better than it's ever been since we gave up scholarships in the early 1990s and could easily be standing at 4-1 and 2-0 in the PL right now...but it is what it is.

Sader87
October 3rd, 2017, 02:32 PM
Weird....sorry for the double post

ColgateTD
October 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Colgate - improving week to week, despite an injury list longer than a legal pad. Maybe Alfriyie will carry the load.
Georgetown - I'm going with the Hoyas despite their O. When Columbia can beat P'ton at Nassau you know the Tigers are bad.
Holy Cross - Pujals makes a comeback.
Lafayette - what you saw last week is only the beginning of great things for the Pards. Eventual PL Champs!

van
October 3rd, 2017, 03:52 PM
Colgate - improving week to week, despite an injury list longer than a legal pad. Maybe Alfriyie will carry the load.
Georgetown - I'm going with the Hoyas despite their O. When Columbia can beat P'ton at Nassau you know the Tigers are bad.
Holy Cross - Pujals makes a comeback.
Lafayette - what you saw last week is only the beginning of great things for the Pards. Eventual PL Champs!

a little early in the day to start drinking isn't it?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2017, 04:04 PM
I'm not writing off L.U. or F.U. yet. Colgate's freshman quarterback will continue on a short leash, to keep its O unexciting and probably low-scoring.

Did you mean "Grant Breneman, Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week and Freshman of the week" this upcoming week?

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2017, 05:40 PM
Did you mean "Grant Breneman, Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week and Freshman of the week" this upcoming week?

I can see it now. Lehigh's D will pitch a shutout and they will play like gangbusters. The fresh air of the Chenango Valley will be restorative for the Engineers.

carney2
October 3rd, 2017, 07:39 PM
Word on the street is that Fordham suffered a slew of injuries vs. Yale on Saturday, including, Edmonds, his backup and a key wideout. This could be an opportunity for Lafayette DC, Luke Thompson, to earn another pay check.

This game will be won or lost on the other side of the ball, however. Lafayette has shown a zero running game, and O'Malley, the freshman QB, has been an interception machine. A lot of the blame for this falls onto the continued ineffective o-line play. The Pards have been against at least a semblance of a defense in their first five games. Fordham's defense appears to be more of a shambles than a semblance. Can John Garrett, acting as his own OC, make something happen?

I'm so far on the outside looking in that I can't even make out the numbers of the players, but to me it looked as if Lehigh's supposedly high octane offense joined their defense and just gave up vs. a really bad Wagner team. If so, can they get back in the game?

Colgate Raider Redux
October 3rd, 2017, 10:00 PM

LFN, I wouldn't worry about Grant Breneman.

I'd worry more about time of possession. Colgate's biggest point production this year has been 21 points. Frankly I'm mystified by how many people are picking Colgate in this match up.. Maybe too many people have been burned by picking Lehigh ? Or they've written L.U. off as a reaction to how different Lehigh's performance has turned out relative to preseason predictions. Or that it can't correct the issues that keep recurring, especially on D?

Lehigh has a lot of offensive weapons.

Colgate's not going to beat them in a "pissing contest."

PAllen
October 3rd, 2017, 10:33 PM

I'd worry more about time of possession. Colgate's biggest point production this year has been 21 points. Frankly I'm mystified by how many people are picking Colgate in this match up.. Maybe too many people have been burned by picking Lehigh ? Or they've written L.U. off as a reaction to how different Lehigh's performance has turned out relative to preseason predictions. Or that it can't correct the issues that keep recurring, especially on D?

21 points against would be a wet dream for LU's D right now.

Go...gate
October 4th, 2017, 12:47 AM

Agreed. This is going to be a tough game for Colgate, because Lehigh's offense has far more horsepower than Colgate's and the Engineers should be able to wear down the Red Raider defense.

Not trying to be a psych-out; if Lehigh's offense plays the way it is capable, they may win easily.

van
October 4th, 2017, 04:04 AM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE, would love to see the upset here, but 0-5 for a reason

GEORGETOWN @ Princeton, can't win if you can't score

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS, how did they ever beat UNH?

FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE, Rams have some injuries so this might go the other way but Pards not yet making a believer of me

paltry 18-14 for the year, picked PL too many times in OOC

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Lehigh, Fordham and Georgetown will not win unless they are playing each other. Why people keep picking them is mystifying. These are really bad teams.

Gangtackle11
October 4th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Lehigh, Fordham and Georgetown will not win unless they are playing each other. Why people keep picking them is mystifying. These are really bad teams.

Hard for me not to pick Fordham after what I witnessed with my own eyes of Lafayette @ Nova.

RichH2
October 4th, 2017, 10:32 AM

Oh ye of little faith :)
Not optimistic I admit. But I still dont expect a Yankee Stadium season from here on out. I will go with LU vs Gate.

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Hard for me not to pick Fordham after what I witnessed with my own eyes of Lafayette @ Nova.

As it stands today, Lafayette seems to be the only team with something to look forward to. They somehow pulled off a 10-7 win at HC and have a coach that might be able to make drastic improvements. They will beat Fordham. Maybe Lehigh decides to get up for the Lafayette game and wins because of the history.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Lehigh at Colgate Game Preview: Will Ignition Happen In Hamilton?

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-colgate-game-preview-will.html

MUHAWKS
October 5th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Who likes free money?

care to elaborate?? I am with you, but looking to hear your reasoning..

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2017, 04:08 PM
care to elaborate?? I am with you, but looking to hear your reasoning..

My reasoning is, I've seen both teams, and I think Monmouth will win by double digits. As an added bonus, if you get the version of the team that took the field vs. Lafayette, Mounmouth's D pitching a shutout isn't out of the question.

Sader87
October 5th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I'd be wary betting against HC this week. I agree, we should lose...but we are maddeningly inconsistent undah Gilmore.

Neither a 28-13 Monmouth win nor a HC 31-14 victory would really surprise me.

Colgate Raider Redux
October 5th, 2017, 07:51 PM
There has been much discussion of how depressing it is with PL schools bringing an unprecedented composite of o.o.c.losses into the PL season.

Now, it's time to get re-engaged !

In an interview tonight, 'gate coach Dan Hunt characterized the PL season as exciting because it's like a tournament. Psychologically, the incentives change regardless of the o.o.c. record preceding the PL season. New life ! But, if you lose 1 game, you may be eliminated from the "tournament." Hunt said that in his 21 years at 'gate, no PL team has won the championship with more than 2 losses in the PL season.

PAllen
October 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM
There has been much discussion of how depressing it is with PL schools bringing an unprecedented composite of o.o.c.losses into the PL season.

Now, it's time to get re-engaged !

In an interview tonight, 'gate coach Dan Hunt characterized the PL season as exciting because it's like a tournament. Lose 1 game and you may be eliminated. He said in his 21 years at 'gate, no PL team has won the championship with more than 2 losses.

There's always a first time.

Bill
October 5th, 2017, 10:19 PM
There's always a first time.

This is not surprising - with only 6 league games, it would be be very tough to have a league champ with 3 losses!!

Go...gate
October 6th, 2017, 12:18 AM
Lehigh at Colgate Game Preview: Will Ignition Happen In Hamilton?

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-colgate-game-preview-will.html

That hamburger looks and sounds pretty good!

And don't forget there is a hospital right in Hamilton at the bottom of the old ski hill to handle any cardiac arrest!

RichH2
October 6th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Barely .500 so far. Ugh. Well once more into the breach :)
Lehigh. What the heck. Hoping I' ll be right one if these weeks.
Tigers. Hoyas just cant score
Cross. Not sure which version of the Purple will show up but they have a D unlike Lehigh
Rams. Pards also have a D but no O.

Go...gate
October 6th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Colgate 28, Lehigh 27

Princeton 37, Georgetown 14

Holy Cross 33, Monmouth 28

Fordham 16, Lafayette 10

Bonus Pick: Hun School 27, Blair Academy 20

carney2
October 6th, 2017, 01:36 PM
There are hints that Edmonds is a possible/probable for this week. If he is even at 80%, it's the Rams in a no-brainer. If not, the Pards have a shot if they can keep the score down.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Lehigh At Colgate Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction: Will Lehigh Get to Where Their Feet Are?

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-colgate-game-breakdown-and.html

If Lehigh "gets to where their feet are," a win is possible. If they don't.....

- - - Updated - - -

There are hints that Edmonds is a possible/probable for this week. If he is even at 80%, it's the Rams in a no-brainer. If not, the Pards have a shot if they can keep the score down.

Can a team win consecutive weeks with a grand total of 100 rushing yards in 2 games?

PAllen
October 6th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Well, for the first time in years I will not even try to catch the game tomorrow. I'll probably check on the score tomorrow night, but I've got better things to do on a long weekend with my family than watch this bunch.

Go...gate
October 6th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I won't be in Hamilton, but I hope to get out to see Georgetown at Princeton. After a boatload of work in September, I am finally getting to see some action.

Leopard Loyalist
October 6th, 2017, 10:03 PM
LEHIGH @ COLGATE
GEORGETOWN @ Princeton
Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM @ LAFAYETTE

20-12 for the season. I'd have a better record and also saved time if I had just picked against the PL automatically in all the ooc games!

ngineer
October 6th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I'd be wary betting against HC this week. I agree, we should lose...but we are maddeningly inconsistent undah Gilmore.

Neither a 28-13 Monmouth win nor a HC 31-14 victory would really surprise me.

Can't believe Gilmore still around after that fourth down call! That was one for the ages.

ngineer
October 6th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Well, for the first time in years I will not even try to catch the game tomorrow. I'll probably check on the score tomorrow night, but I've got better things to do on a long weekend with my family than watch this bunch.

Yep. Not on TV, so only available on internet, so I can't even DVR it. My wife's high school reunion is tomorrow night so I will not schlep to Hamilton. I won't be shocked if we win. Just pleasantly surprised. Also not shocked if we get blown away.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Yep. Not on TV, so only available on internet, so I can't even DVR it. My wife's high school reunion is tomorrow night so I will not schlep to Hamilton. I won't be shocked if we win. Just pleasantly surprised. Also not shocked if we get blown away.

Stadium TV is available over-the-air in certain markets:

https://23455-presscdn-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Sinclair-Launch-Markets.pdf

It's also available live on Pluto.TV onine:

http://pluto.tv/watch/stadium

What I don't know is if Stadium TV is available through Comcast, Service Electric or Verizon FiOS. I had read that it was at least available in the upper reaches of the FiOS channels. In the Valley it might be available on WSWB-4 or whatever that channel resolves to on Service Electric.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Colgate - The Raiders pretty bad offense is still good enough to beat up on Lehigh's historically horrific defense
Princeton - This will be ugly
Monmouth - The Hawks own the PL
Fordham - The Rams should have enough on offense to get by

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Lehigh
Princeton
Monmouth - double digit win
Fordham - I admit I don't have huge confidence in this pick, but I'm still going Rams

carney2
October 7th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Can't believe Gilmore still around after that fourth down call! That was one for the ages.

Name the last Patriot League coach who was fired in mid-season.

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Lehigh 7-0
D forced 3 and out. O marched straight down the field mostly behind Brags and Brisker.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Lehigh's defense had several chances on that drive but couldn't get it done. TD Colgate...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 12:36 PM
TD Lehigh! Right down the field. LU OL is dominating the 'Gate DL. But the Mountain Hawk defense is still terrible so this will be a shootout...

14-7 LU about 2 1:30 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Colgate is running about 3-4 different plays and the Lehigh D still is hopeless. TD 'Gate...

14-14 13:52 2Q

Southsider
October 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM
LU is pathetic. Simple as that

Southsider
October 7th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Need 9, throw behind los. WTF???

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Breneman looks like an All-American against the Lehigh D...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Just embarrassing. Colgate averages 16 ppg and already has 21 through 20 minutes. Just clueless. Time for the Lehigh "O" to press....

21-14 'Gate 9:42 2Q

Southsider
October 7th, 2017, 01:01 PM
LU offense is stale. Very sad

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Colgate can really grab the game by the throat on this drive....

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Princeton has scored 30 points in an eight minute stretch. Hmmm...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 01:17 PM
TD 'Gate. Lehigh's D is going to give up 50+ to a middling 'Gate offense. How can this carry on without someone losing their job?

28-14 2:40 2Q

Colgate Raider Redux
October 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Beginning of 2nd quarter Yale 14 Dartmouth 0 in Hanover

hawkineer
October 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Why in God's name would Colgate not try to score against this mess of a defense at the end of the half? Makes no sense.

hawkineer
October 7th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Andy must be be incapable of an original thought. Halftime interview "Kids are playing their hearts out." The defense must be giving up ten plus yards per play. At this point, a little less heart and a little more talent is needed cuz' heart ain't stopping anyone. He is most concerned about the play of the special teams which have not been very good. However, t's the friggin' defense stupid. Geez!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2017, 02:27 PM
If you took my advice and took Monmouth -9.5, you'd be in position to bankrupt your illegal scorebook. Not that I'm advocating gambling.

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Lehigh up 41-35.

- - - Updated - - -

Typo 41-38

hawkineer
October 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM
3 TDs called back. Colgate should be absolutely furious. Thanks for the mystery PI call.

Lehigh'98
October 7th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Wow. What a crazy win for Lehigh. Colgate got hosed by refs. Hunt looked ready to attack that reflects with his death stare at the end.

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I hope Lehigh can get that ump crew for the rest of the season :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Well a win is a win! Thanfully Georgetown then the bye....

hawkineer
October 7th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I hope Lehigh can get that ump crew for the rest of the season :)
They did everything but make a few tackles for the defense.

ngineer
October 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
3 TDs called back. Colgate should be absolutely furious. Thanks for the mystery PI call.
That's the problem with PI. The official who called it would have seen the Colgate receiver forearm pushing off the Lehigh defender. The view on TV from the far endzone does not show that well. As an ol' DB, I know the feeling of contact between receiver & defender. The question is whether the ref sees one or the other 'interfering' with the ability of the other to get position. If I were a 'gate fan, I'd be upset. As a Lehigh fan, it was a close call. PI is the most debatable of all infractions to call. While happy to see LU get a win and not go 0-6 for the first time since 1966, not at all happy with the defense. I saw no improvement today on that score. The offense got its ship righted from last week. But we only have 1/3 team. Kicking continues to suck without Mish. That miss by LU PK at the end could have been huge. Schedule sets up good for LU, now with Hoyas home next week and then a bye to get heal up for Fordham, Bucknell, Holy Cross and Spotted Pussies. No question something major must be done in off season about coaching staff--especially defense.

Gater
October 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Don't know if Colgate deserved to have the kickoff return TD called back. They didn't show the hold that was called on the replay.
Don't know if the Colgate guard was illegally downfield on the second TD called back--if he was more than three yards down the field, it wasn't by much.
I do know the third Colgate TD called back was an awful call.
I also know the unsportsmanlike penalty at the end on a Colgate player signaling first down to the air after a big catch was an awful call--Colgate would fumble the game away a few plays later.
Never been one to blame the refs but they did a horrible job calling this game. Lehigh's penalties were all ones you can't miss--offsides and stuff like that for 30 yards. Colgate had 11 penalties for 106 yards with some huge plays called back.
Lehigh-Colgate is a great series and the games are always great. They deserved better than what the officials did out there today.

PeacockRaider
October 7th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I have not posted in probably 10 years but I had to retrieve my password and comment on today's Colgate Lehigh game. Call me a homer but that Referee crew should not be allowed to do high school games let alone D1 football. Colgate with 11 penalties for 106 yards including 3 td's called back. Not to mention an unsportsmanlike penalty at the 10 on the final drive of the game for signaling a first down. The last td called back was the worst penalty I've ever seen. Offensive PI when the defender never turns around!! Coach Hunt showed a lot of restrain because I think I would have punched the official in the face after the game. They need to contact the Patriot League office on Monday with game film of all the penalties....absolutely ridiculous. I get bad calls against you now and then but the whole game...seemed like they had money on the game. Once again no problem when 'Gate just gets beat or a couple calls go the other way, but Im sorry the better team did not win today.

Lehigh'98
October 7th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I have not posted in probably 10 years but I had to retrieve my password and comment on today's Colgate Lehigh game. Call me a homer but that Referee crew should not be allowed to do high school games let alone D1 football. Colgate with 11 penalties for 106 yards including 3 td's called back. Not to mention an unsportsmanlike penalty at the 10 on the final drive of the game for signaling a first down. The last td called back was the worst penalty I've ever seen. Offensive PI when the defender never turns around!! Coach Hunt showed a lot of restrain because I think I would have punched the official in the face after the game. They need to contact the Patriot League office on Monday with game film of all the penalties....absolutely ridiculous. I get bad calls against you now and then but the whole game...seemed like they had money on the game. Once again no problem when 'Gate just gets beat or a couple calls go the other way, but Im sorry the better team did not win today.

You should post more, that was a great rant. 10/10.

Neighbor2
October 7th, 2017, 03:37 PM

You are NOT a homer by posting this. Those WERE some bad calls. Probably cost 'gate the game. As a Lehigh fan, it's only right to say Lehigh got a lot of help in winning their first. Lehigh still has a pretty awful defense. I was really impressed by the Colgate quarterback. Also glad for Lehigh's Brisker. He's been a real bull of a runner since Day 1.

Lehigh'98
October 7th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Wagner got beat 38-0 by Duquesne today

PeacockRaider
October 7th, 2017, 03:42 PM
You are NOT a homer by posting this. Those WERE some bad calls. Probably cost 'gate the game. As a Lehigh fan, it's only right to say Lehigh got a lot of help in winning their first. Lehigh still has a pretty awful defense. I was really impressed by the Colgate quarterback. Also glad for Lehigh's Brisker. He's been a real bull of a runner since Day 1.

Thanks....it's a great rivalry that goes back and forth...today was ashame that it wasn't decided by just the players. Btw Braglione reminds me of Eachus.

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM
That's the problem with PI. The official who called it would have seen the Colgate receiver forearm pushing off the Lehigh defender. The view on TV from the far endzone does not show that well. As an ol' DB, I know the feeling of contact between receiver & defender. The question is whether the ref sees one or the other 'interfering' with the ability of the other to get position. If I were a 'gate fan, I'd be upset. As a Lehigh fan, it was a close call. PI is the most debatable of all infractions to call. While happy to see LU get a win and not go 0-6 for the first time since 1966, not at all happy with the defense. I saw no improvement today on that score. The offense got its ship righted from last week. But we only have 1/3 team. Kicking continues to suck without Mish. That miss by LU PK at the end could have been huge. Schedule sets up good for LU, now with Hoyas home next week and then a bye to get heal up for Fordham, Bucknell, Holy Cross and Spotted Pussies. No question something major must be done in off season about coaching staff--especially defense.

+1
D not progressing . Tackling amateurish. Big plays only less than prior games as refs helped us out. STs just bad. Not sure which was worse the kicks or the lane coverage.
Hoyas and bye are a Godsend. Do t know whether it will help either unit but it will give my cardiologist and wife a break. :)

Colgate Raider Redux
October 7th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Dartmouth 28 Yale 27, Final in Hanover

Gate83
October 7th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Just back from the game, all the Gate ranters... keep going. I never complain about officiating, but this was an atrocity. Thanks to the Lehigh guys here for being fair in your reactions...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Dartmouth 28 Yale 27, Final in Hanover

Wow!! Heck of a game! Dartmouth has things rolling this year!

I was shocked to see CCSU beat Penn 42-21.

- - - Updated - - -

Just back from the game, all the Gate ranters... keep going. I never complain about officiating, but this was an atrocity. Thanks to the Lehigh guys here for being fair in your reactions...

I didn't see any of the second half but it sounds ugly! I dropped a few bucks at Colgate on Thursday. Perhaps I bought Lehigh some good karma....

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Hoyas and bye are a Godsend.

Interesting how Coen will sell "concern" about facing an opponent that's been outscored 102-15 in the first half this season.

Colgate Raider Redux
October 7th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I don't want to make light of the officiating. It was grotesque. But,....

..... those of us who have watched 1st year Breneman progress week-to-week this season had our quiet optimism for the future reinforced mightily this afternoon.

There are only 5 starting Seniors on this team's two deep. And the alignment of the Colgate administration, the coaches, the Athletic Dept schedulers, the football financial backers and alumni haven't been in harmony like this about the future of Colgate football for decades.
Yes, I'm pissed this afternoon. But, I'm also very optimistic about the long term despite some of my bro in the PL running around with their hair on fire.

hawkineer
October 7th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Interesting how Coen will sell "concern" about facing an opponent that's been outscored 102-15 in the first half this season.
Coach speak, it's what they all do. GU did put 30 up on Princeton today. Extrapolating - that is 45-50 against Lehigh's ole defense.

Lehigh'98
October 7th, 2017, 04:53 PM
This is the worst year in the league's history and it's not close.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Fordham 10 Lafayette 7 early 4Q

ColgateTD
October 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Columbia 41 Marist 17. When was the last time the Lions were 4-0? Unbelievable!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Anderson just threw a terrible pick as the Rams were driving. Leopard ball down 10-7, 6:30 left...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Leopards take the lead!! But Rams are deep in Leopard territory...

14-10 2:30 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Lafayette defense holds on 4th and 4 at the 10 yard line! Anderson missed the same throw twice!!

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Leopards take the lead!! But Rams are deep in Leopard territory...

14-10 2:30 4Q
What a topsy turvy season.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Dan Hunt tossed his headset - he was absolutely hot after the kickoff returned for TD. I don't blame Colgate fans for being upset at the officiating. The kickoff TD may have had holding on it - it seemed to be away from the play, at about midfield, so hard to tell whether legit or not. But if it went the other way, I'd have been livid. I certainly understand the frustration.

As a Lehigh fan I also saw some bad calls against the Mountain Hawks too- a big Bragalone run called back on phantom holding sticks out, and an early reception where the ball hit the turf, but was called a reception and should have been overturned - but Coglate certainly got the worst of it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Fordham defense stops Lafayette. Will get the ball back with about a minute left in pretty good field position...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2017, 05:44 PM
Fordham had a shot at the hail mary but it falls to the ground! Lafayette wins!! Wow!!

RichH2
October 7th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Congrats to Pards. Nice W.

Bogus Megapardus
October 7th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Congrats to Pards. Nice W.

Heh. Who'da thunk it?

carney2
October 7th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Lafayette's win over Fordham was a replay of last week's game in Woo. The Pard defense played great. Fordham's only TD came after they blocked a Lafayette FG attempt and ran the ball back inside the Lafayette 10. On the other side of the ball, the Lafayette offense continues MIA. The running game netted MINUS 5 yds. Still, they had just enough, scoring 14 in the 4th qtr. to win. The winning TD came on a 63 yd. pass play from O'Malley to Palumbo. Both fans on the home side were ecstatic.

LehighU11
October 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM
It's fitting that the terrible product on the field throughout the entire Patriot League is accompanied by the perpetually horrid PL/IL officiating crews.

Lehigh's best defense this year has been the zebras. In the past 4 games, the numbers are staggering. Yale: 10-100 yds, Penn: 10-125 yds, Wagner: 9-113 yds, Colgate: 11-106 yds.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Lafayette's win over Fordham was a replay of last week's game in Woo. The Pard defense played great. Fordham's only TD came after they blocked a Lafayette FG attempt and ran the ball back inside the Lafayette 10. On the other side of the ball, the Lafayette offense continues MIA. The running game netted MINUS 5 yds. Still, they had just enough, scoring 14 in the 4th qtr. to win. The winning TD came on a 63 yd. pass play from O'Malley to Palumbo. Both fans on the home side were ecstatic.

Lafayette has rushed for -11 yards in 2 games yet has two league victories. That's literally unbelievable.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2017, 11:42 PM
In 41-38 Win Over Colgate, Lehigh Buries Memory Of Winless 1966 Season, And Gives Themselves Potential For More This Season

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/its-so-hard-to-reverse-momentum-after.html

ngineer
October 8th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if we combined LC's defense with LU's offense? We could a 'Steagles" redux from the 1940's. "Mountain Leopards" or "Leopard Hawks". Lehigh needs a whole new approach on defense. Champions are made with defense, so LC has to have the inside track right now.

Fordham
October 8th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Congrats Lafayette

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I can’t believe Lafayette is 2-0 after what I saw with my own eyes. Congrats for the quick turn around!!

CFBfan
October 8th, 2017, 08:47 AM

thompson is a good DC, he did a very nice job in the district keeping them in games when the hoya offense was awful
pards might be approaching a nice ride for the future

hawkineer
October 8th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I can’t believe Lafayette is 2-0 after what I saw with my own eyes. Congrats for the quick turn around!!
Turnaround=Patriot League Opponents

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Bucknell/Lafayette could end with a 2-0 score, and even then I'm not sure who might have the inside track for the victory.

SingForever
October 8th, 2017, 12:45 PM
QUOTE=Lehigh'98;2542833]Wow. What a crazy win for Lehigh. Colgate got hosed by refs. Hunt looked ready to attack that reflects with his death stare at the end.[/QUOTE]

Lehigh had a problem that apparently went unnoticed. Ed Mich was scheduled to punt only this week. Every time Lehigh kicked off, the ball never got near the end zone and Colgate would end up on their own 45. Mich has a very strong leg. Unless there was a reason that he could not kick off, he should have been inserted in that role early in the game. Most of the favorable field position could have been eliminated and Colgate would have scored a lot less. An unusual observation, but I would hope the coaching staff would think "out of the box" in certain situations.

van
October 8th, 2017, 01:06 PM
QUOTE=Lehigh'98;2542833]Wow. What a crazy win for Lehigh. Colgate got hosed by refs. Hunt looked ready to attack that reflects with his death stare at the end.

Lehigh had a problem that apparently went unnoticed. Ed Mich was scheduled to punt only this week. Every time Lehigh kicked off, the ball never got near the end zone and Colgate would end up on their own 45. Mich has a very strong leg. Unless there was a reason that he could not kick off, he should have been inserted in that role early in the game. Most of the favorable field position could have been eliminated and Colgate would have scored a lot less. An unusual observation, but I would hope the coaching staff would think "out of the box" in certain situations.[/QUOTE]

Mish has been out for a few weeks and just now getting back on the field, whatever his injury is, it might be another week or two until he is ready to handle place kicking, be thankful he was at least able to punt this week

RichH2
October 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Lehigh had a problem that apparently went unnoticed. Ed Mich was scheduled to punt only this week. Every time Lehigh kicked off, the ball never got near the end zone and Colgate would end up on their own 45. Mich has a very strong leg. Unless there was a reason that he could not kick off, he should have been inserted in that role early in the game. Most of the favorable field position could have been eliminated and Colgate would have scored a lot less. An unusual observation, but I would hope the coaching staff would think "out of the box" in certain situations.

Mish has been out for a few weeks and just now getting back on the field, whatever his injury is, it might be another week or two until he is ready to handle place kicking, be thankful he was at least able to punt this week[/QUOTE]
Mish injured his hip. Just got back. Ability to rotate hip for FG and KOs still not ready.

Go...gate
October 8th, 2017, 08:21 PM

Ahem. Wish I wasn't so prescient, but I truly had a feeling.

That was a damn tough loss for the Red Raiders.

ColgateTD
October 9th, 2017, 10:52 AM
We was jobbed!

Gater
October 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM
In 41-38 Win Over Colgate, Lehigh Buries Memory Of Winless 1966 Season, And Gives Themselves Potential For More This Season

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/its-so-hard-to-reverse-momentum-after.html

I get why you would want to romanticize Lehigh winning this game. The reality is that Colgate had someone between 18-28 points taken off the board by the officials in a game they lost by three points. Lehigh's AD even apologized to Colgate's AD saying that the better team didn't win. Colgate obviously needs to move on from this (as do I, apparently) but both teams (and this rivalry) deserved better.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I get why you would want to romanticize Lehigh winning this game. The reality is that Colgate had someone between 18-28 points taken off the board by the officials in a game they lost by three points. Lehigh's AD even apologized to Colgate's AD saying that the better team didn't win. Colgate obviously needs to move on from this (as do I, apparently) but both teams (and this rivalry) deserved better.

Wow.

Like I said on the other thread, I get that you guys were on the bad end on some rough calls. You have my sympathy.

RichH2
October 9th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Joe would not have apologized. A Gate home game. Not our house. Not surprised if he commented on that crew's performance. Hell we all did. There were bad calls on both sides. Gate got much the worst of those calls to Lehigh's benefit. No earthly reason for Joe to apologize to your AD.

Gater
October 9th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Joe would not have apologized. A Gate home game. Not our house. Not surprised if he commented on that crew's performance. Hell we all did. There were bad calls on both sides. Gate got much the worst of those calls to Lehigh's benefit. No earthly reason for Joe to apologize to your AD.

Only repeating what I heard-- and I wasn't there to hear it. I added the word "apologized" so that may not have been part of the conversation. Just heard that "the better team didn't win" was said.

Think Lehigh fans have been very fair about the assessment of the officials' impact on the game. You certainly have no idea how Lehigh would have responded to Colgate not having so many big plays taken away. Maybe Lehigh puts up 60 and gets the win. The reality is that it doesn't matter. Lehigh won. Colgate lost. I'll go back to complaining to my wife about it. I know she looking forward to hearing one more time about how infrequently pass interference is called on an offensive player when both players are running away from the QB and the defender never turns to look for the ball.

LUHawker
October 9th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Only repeating what I heard-- and I wasn't there to hear it. I added the word "apologized" so that may not have been part of the conversation. Just heard that "the better team didn't win" was said.

Think Lehigh fans have been very fair about the assessment of the officials' impact on the game. You certainly have no idea how Lehigh would have responded to Colgate not having so many big plays taken away. Maybe Lehigh puts up 60 and gets the win. The reality is that it doesn't matter. Lehigh won. Colgate lost. I'll go back to complaining to my wife about it. I know she looking forward to hearing one more time about how infrequently pass interference is called on an offensive player when both players are running away from the QB and the defender never turns to look for the ball.
The unsportsmanlike penalty was a joke and I also struggled to see the offensive PI against Colgate. However, I did not see the illegal block call on the KO return and I don't think they showed a replay, so that one remains a mystery, although with the frequency of that infraction, I'm inclined to think it happened.

ngineer
October 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM
The unsportsmanlike penalty was a joke and I also struggled to see the offensive PI against Colgate. However, I did not see the illegal block call on the KO return and I don't think they showed a replay, so that one remains a mystery, although with the frequency of that infraction, I'm inclined to think it happened.

The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, I agree, was 'ticky tack'; however, when I saw the replay, it appeared, depending on the angle, that the receiver in making his "First Down" gesture did so at the Lehigh player, as opposed to just pointing in the direction of travel. If that is what the referee saw, then that falls within the taunting scope of the rule. So the take away is be careful where you point ( as our mothers always told us!).

Gater
October 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Agreed on KO call and the rest of it. The announcer didn't think the last PI against Colgate's #4 was PI. I think it was. They never showed the called infractions on other plays--just not enough cameras/crew on these broadcasts to have replays showing things one way or the other. Hard to tell on the OL downfield that brought back one TD. He did seem to be oddly pass blocking on the other side of the line of scrimmage, but not more than a few yards downfield--still, odds are if they official is there, he has a better angle. If he was blocking downfield I can't imagine it being by more than half a yard and that stuff doesn't typically get called unless it is egregious.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Colgate did get jobbed. No doubt. I thought you guys outplayed us up until the fumble at the end. I still think we will get shredded by some PL teams, so you guys still have a fair shot to rebound. Hate seeing games decided by the refs. Everyone deserves better. If we do make the playoffs at 6-5, we are looking at getting slaughtered by UNH again first round. I'd almost prefer not to see a repeat of that again this year. It is what it is though

LUHawker
October 9th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Agreed on KO call and the rest of it. The announcer didn't think the last PI against Colgate's #4 was PI. I think it was. They never showed the called infractions on other plays--just not enough cameras/crew on these broadcasts to have replays showing things one way or the other. Hard to tell on the OL downfield that brought back one TD. He did seem to be oddly pass blocking on the other side of the line of scrimmage, but not more than a few yards downfield--still, odds are if they official is there, he has a better angle. If he was blocking downfield I can't imagine it being by more than half a yard and that stuff doesn't typically get called unless it is egregious.

You misread (or I misstated) my point - I don't think it was PI on Colgate either. I meant to state that I didn't see a penalty against Colgate.

Gater
October 9th, 2017, 03:30 PM
LU, agreed on the offensive PI on Colgate at the end--bad call. There was a defensive PI against Colgate after that on #4 where he had the right hand on the receiver's shoulder pad. It would have forced a three and out and given the ball back to Colgate one more time. The announcer thought it wasn't PI against Colgate. I thought it was--or at least certainly close enough where I could see it being called either way.

ngineer
October 11th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Interesting info today at the football luncheon. The unsportsmanlike penalty was due to the same WR being warned at least three times earlier in the game that if continued to taunt he would be flagged, and dag nabbit, he went ahead and challenged the ref. The film shows the WR yelling at the Lehigh DB when doing his first down signal. If it were a first time thing, I agree should not be called; however, he was also pointing in the direction of the DB and yelling trash. Having already been warned several times, he deserved it. As Dick Vermeil once said at the dinner I was at, you pick your poison, in recounting his days at UCLA when up at Washington he screamed at a ref for a bad call. The ref warned him. Vermeil shot back that the ref "stunk". After stepping another 15 yards, the ref asked Vermeil how he smelled from there. I have seen Lehigh players over the years get flagged for stupid late hits and unsportsmanlike junk and it hurts a lot when you think that these kids are supposed to be smart. And, yet, they are kids learning that actions have consequences and sometimes those consequences hurt more than just the actor, but your whole team. Just part of the education system.

Go...gate
October 11th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Bottom line is that Lehigh won.