PDA

View Full Version : Socon Week 6 pick em and power rankings

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 30th, 2017, 09:23 PM
I was 3-2 after today's games. I doubted Furman and Samford. Here's where I have it after tonight's games:

1) Wofford - Dispatched Presbyterian rather handily.
2) Western Carolina - Somewhere in Heaven, catamount man is proud of these guys.
3) Samford - Became the alpha dog against The Citadel
4) The Citadel - Can this team recover?
5) Furman - Convincingly beat the Bucs
6) ETSU - Had plenty of offense, not enough defense
7) Mercer - Crushed it against VMI
8) Chattanooga - Oh how the mighty have fallen
9) VMI - Can this team win a game this year?

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - Catamounts win another one for one of their fallen superfans
Samford @ VMI (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs run roughshod on VMI
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take out frustrations on Mercer
Robert Morris @ ETSU - Bucs take care of business at home
Furman @ Chattanooga - Paladins derail the Mocs

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2017, 10:02 PM
1. Western Carolina (4-1): Their offense is legit
2. Wofford (4-0): our defense is legit, but our offense has issues
3. Samford (3-2): Hit on all cylinders against the Citadel, nothing to be ashamed of thus far
4. Furman (2-3): Right now, looks better than the Citadel. Their defense is young and injured but their offense can score points
5. Citadel (3-1): They will bounce back. They just had a bad outing. Perfect storm.
6. ETSU (2-3): They are much better than I expected
7. Mercer (2-3): pummeled a very bad VMI team. Gotta win a big one some day
8. Chattanooga (1-4): Their offense has no run game, their QBs are hurt and on paper it's as if Huesman was never there
9. VMI (0-5): just a very bad football team

Western Carolina @ Wofford (game of the week).
I've been wrong when it comes to underestimating my team in the past but here's the deal: Wofford's offense has problems. At times, it feels like our players bail out our coaches poor playcalling. Our defense is for real, and no doubt better than anything Western has faced (arguably, better than Hawaii). It'll either be a good game and Wofford wins close or it'll be a blowout in favor of Western Carolina.

Samford @ VMI
Samford is good and VMI is really bad. The question is whether or not Samford hangs 60 on them.

Mercer @ The Citadel
Mercer can't win a big one, let alone on the road at best venue in the Socon against a team looking to bounce back from a bad loss

Robert Morris @ ETSU
This may be an upset to some, I'm not sure. ETSU isn't quite 100% where they need to be to be a full-on competitive Socon team, but they are clearly better than last year. They have a killer pass game and will be in a lot of shootout this year.

Furman @ Chattanooga
Furman is hitting their stride. They are a young and beaten up defense, and arguably the best offense in the conference that doesn't come out of a spread formation. Chattanooga can't run the ball on anyone and no one even knows who the QB will be next week.

ElCid
September 30th, 2017, 10:37 PM
If Mercer throws some deep balls on us, we are toast. Our guys were getting burned. They held us last year rushing pretty well and unless something changes, this is the year Mercer will finally bounce us. I am sure they will be taking a page out of Samford's play book. Not holding out much hope, our o-line looked pitiful for much of the game. They are young still. But I will be there cheering on my Bulldogs. Interesting to see who starts at QB. I am sure Allen will, but he looked sluggish. Didn't get a spark until Black came in. The boys need to shake it off. I have to sleep on my prognostications.

tenNesseeCat
September 30th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Picks:
SAMFORD @ vmi - big
FURMAN @ utc - big
MERCER @ the citadel - just a hunch
robert morris @ ETSU - close
WCU @ wofford - close (game of the week)

Power:
Wofford
WCU
Samford
Furman
The Citadel
Mercer
ETSU
UTC
VMI

bonarae
September 30th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Western Carolina
Samford
The Citadel
ETSU
Furman

Catamount87
October 1st, 2017, 07:01 AM
Power Rankings
1. Wofford - Finally an impressive win albeit against a very weak team
2. WCU - Did it with defense but against a weak team
3. (by only 1 yard) Samford - Excellent win, a more balanced attack that dominated the coastal dogs
4. The Citadel - Hmm, are there cracks forming in Charleston?
5. Furman - An offense that is almost on par with WCU and Samford and a bend don’t break defense. They could easily be 4-1 rather than 2-3
6. ETSU - They can score and also get scored on
7. Mercer - Slow start but this week’s scrimmage helped their confidence
8. Chattanooga - Has officially moved from wheels are off the bus to dumpster fire
9. VMI - It’s looking like an O-fer season just might happen

Predictions
WCU @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - A close win in a tough, tough game
Samford @ VMI - Depth chart gets plenty of playing time
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bounce back for the coastal dogs
Robert Morris @ ETSU - Bucs pull away in the 2nd half
Furman @ UTC - The ‘Dins ding up the Mocs a good bit more

kdinva
October 1st, 2017, 08:05 AM
1) Wofford
2) WCU
3) Samford
4) The Citadel
5) Furman
6) ETSU
7) Mercer
8) UTC
9) davidson
10) VMI

WCU 28 @ Wofford 34
Samford 48 @ VMI 12
Mercer 27 @ The Citadel 37
Robert Morris 13 @ ETSU 28
Furman 27 @ UTC 21

The Cats
October 1st, 2017, 09:14 AM
Western Carolina @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - if the Cats can show down the rush
Samford @ VMI (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs score lots
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bulldogs by 7
Robert Morris @ ETSU - Bucs win
Furman @ Chattanooga - Paladins put another hurt on the Mocs

Milktruck74
October 1st, 2017, 09:43 AM
1) Wofford
2) Western Carolina
3) Samford
4) Furman
5) Citadel
6) ETSU
7) Mercer
8) VMI
9) Chattanooga

Woffy
Samford
Citadel
Bucs
Furman

ElCid
October 1st, 2017, 10:03 AM
1) Wofford - Until they lose
2) WCU - Wow, nice work
3) Samford - I knew they were better than everyone thought, they were just not producing at 100%...until now
4) Furman - Got something going; is it for real?
5) Mercer - Bounced back nicely, a big threat to anyone
6) The Citadel - It was ugly, but I got to say they at least hung in there, they could have folded; might be the kick they needed; or it might mark beginning of a season decline; time will tell; I will look on the bright side and be glad of some character building
7) ETSU - hot of everyone's heels, but just behind
8) Chattanooga - they are done
9) VMI - they have been done

WCU @ Wofford - I like the magic in Cullowhee, but I just don't see them scoring like they have been against Wofford; Wofford has woes on offense as far as consistency goes and while the Cats defense took care of UTC's offense, it ain't Wofford's - Terriers take it - 28-24

Samford @ VMI - Woe be to the Keydets - 52-10

Mercer @ The Citadel - Mercer has been clawing at the Bulldogs for three years and coming up short; Dogs will be pissed and realize they need this, but Mercer will put together a game plan and execute it...and they smell blood; the Dogs have a little bit too much youth in spots (O-line, B-back) - Mercer finally wins - 27-24

Robert Morris @ ETSU - The Bucs are not bad, they should take care of Bobby M - 28-17

Furman @ Chattanooga - Furman has got something going for sure; they might be inconsistent sometimes, but they are starting to gel - 31-14

kdinva
October 1st, 2017, 10:07 AM
I

Maybe MVSU?

Not surprised Chuck South beat MVSU, but 58-7?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 1st, 2017, 11:11 AM
Maybe MVSU?

I don't envy you at all. Sagarin has you ranked 242 out of 254 D1 teams. A number of winless teams are ranked ahead of you.

longtimemocfan
October 1st, 2017, 11:17 AM
Maybe MVSU?

VMI pretty much in a free fall like we are. Just 2 years ago we scraped a win out in Lexington. At the time I thought you guy’s had the best QB in league.. Keydets were very competitive then.

Mocs123
October 1st, 2017, 11:35 AM
Agree, Cobb was fantastic and you had athletic wideouts. You also had a couple of linebackers. The team we demolished two weeks ago lacked something.

ElCid
October 1st, 2017, 11:48 AM
Week 5 Review on the FCS Wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-5-review-and-power-ranking/

Fun reading if you are a Paladin, Catamount, 'Bama Bulldog, Bear, or Terrier.

Not so much if you are Charleston Dog, Moc, Keydet, or Mountain Pirate.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2017, 12:10 PM
1. Western Carolina (4-1): Their offense is legit
2. Wofford (4-0): our defense is legit, but our offense has issues
3. Samford (3-2): Hit on all cylinders against the Citadel, nothing to be ashamed of thus far
4. Furman (2-3): Right now, looks better than the Citadel. Their defense is young and injured but their offense can score points
5. Citadel (3-1): They will bounce back. They just had a bad outing. Perfect storm.
6. ETSU (2-3): They are much better than I expected
7. Mercer (2-3): pummeled a very bad VMI team. Gotta win a big one some day
8. Chattanooga (1-4): Their offense has no run game, their QBs are hurt and on paper it's as if Huesman was never there
9. VMI (0-5): just a very bad football team

Western Carolina @ Wofford (game of the week).
I've been wrong when it comes to underestimating my team in the past but here's the deal: Wofford's offense has problems. At times, it feels like our players bail out our coaches poor playcalling. Our defense is for real, and no doubt better than anything Western has faced (arguably, better than Hawaii). It'll either be a good game and Wofford wins close or it'll be a blowout in favor of Western Carolina.

Samford @ VMI
Samford is good and VMI is really bad. The question is whether or not Samford hangs 60 on them.

Mercer @ The Citadel
Mercer can't win a big one, let alone on the road at best venue in the Socon against a team looking to bounce back from a bad loss

Robert Morris @ ETSU
This may be an upset to some, I'm not sure. ETSU isn't quite 100% where they need to be to be a full-on competitive Socon team, but they are clearly better than last year. They have a killer pass game and will be in a lot of shootout this year.

Furman @ Chattanooga
Furman is hitting their stride. They are a young and beaten up defense, and arguably the best offense in the conference that doesn't come out of a spread formation. Chattanooga can't run the ball on anyone and no one even knows who the QB will be next week.

Furman has some depth issues on defense. They do a good enough job stopping the run, and really get after the QB - 17 sacks in 5 games (12 all of last season). You can make that work well if the offense is hitting like Furman's is.

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 01:11 PM
Maybe MVSU?

They sucked balls the first half...10-7 at the half. My ridicule of chuck-south at halftime spurred the 2nd half explosion, and they have yet to thank me.

ElCid
October 1st, 2017, 02:23 PM
They sucked balls the first half...10-7 at the half. My ridicule of chuck-south at halftime spurred the 2nd half explosion, and they have yet to thank me.

I think someone put something in the water in Charleston last week to make teams not want to play in the first half. Just saying.

woffordgrad94
October 1st, 2017, 05:40 PM
1. WCU: The last two weeks of conference victories, including a dominating performance Saturday, has pushed them to the level of Top Cat.
2. Samford: Showed what they can do when they play a complete game. Whwn the offense gets to rolling, look out.
3. Wofford: Yes we’re 4-0, but we’ve been disappointing in some regards. I just don’t think we’re the best team in the conference anymore. Pass happy offenses should really scare us right now.
4. The Citadel: Dogs drop after loss, but this is still a very good team. Had chance to get back into the Samford game, but just couldn’t quite do it.
5. Furman: Definitely an up and coming team...and coming quickly. I’m glad Wofford played these guys early (and they still almost beat us). Very bright future in Greenville.
6. Mercer: Need to develop more consistency and prove they can finish games out against good competition. But this is alos a program headed in the plus direction.
7. ETSU: Farther along than anyone thought they’d be. If you overlok the Bucs, you’ll get beat. Their passing attack is becoming dangerous. Still needs work on defense though.
8. Chattanooga: Things fell apart very quickly in Chattown. Injuries have not helped. Right now the Mocs are searching for answers.
9. VMI: Just a very bad team right now...nothing more to say.

Samford 55, VMI 14- Dogs are called off early in Lexington.
The Citadel 28, Mercer 24- Bears battle hard again, but again fall short as the cadets bounce back.
Furman 38, Chattanooga 17- Paladins take this one featuring two teams going in opposite directions.
ETSU 27, Robert Morris 21- Bucs pick up a non-conference victory at home.
WCU 38, Wofford 24- Sorry, but the Terriers will have a lot of trouble stopping the Cats passing and won’t score enough to match them...Cats by two TDs

- - - Updated - - -

1. WCU: The last two weeks of conference victories, including a dominating performance Saturday, has pushed them to the level of Top Cat.
2. Samford: Showed what they can do when they play a complete game. Whwn the offense gets to rolling, look out.
3. Wofford: Yes we’re 4-0, but we’ve been disappointing in some regards. I just don’t think we’re the best team in the conference anymore. Pass happy offenses should really scare us right now.
4. The Citadel: Dogs drop after loss, but this is still a very good team. Had chance to get back into the Samford game, but just couldn’t quite do it.
5. Furman: Definitely an up and coming team...and coming quickly. I’m glad Wofford played these guys early (and they still almost beat us). Very bright future in Greenville.
6. Mercer: Need to develop more consistency and prove they can finish games out against good competition. But this is alos a program headed in the plus direction.
7. ETSU: Farther along than anyone thought they’d be. If you overlok the Bucs, you’ll get beat. Their passing attack is becoming dangerous. Still needs work on defense though.
8. Chattanooga: Things fell apart very quickly in Chattown. Injuries have not helped. Right now the Mocs are searching for answers.
9. VMI: Just a very bad team right now...nothing more to say.

Samford 55, VMI 14- Dogs are called off early in Lexington.
The Citadel 28, Mercer 24- Bears battle hard again, but again fall short as the cadets bounce back.
Furman 38, Chattanooga 17- Paladins take this one featuring two teams going in opposite directions.
ETSU 27, Robert Morris 21- Bucs pick up a non-conference victory at home.
WCU 38, Wofford 24- Sorry, but the Terriers will have a lot of trouble stopping the Cats passing and won’t score enough to match them...Cats by two TDs

NorthChuckSouth
October 1st, 2017, 06:41 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 21-17
Samford @ VMI - 42-7
Mercer @ Citadel - xcoffeex
Robert Morris @ ETSU - 17-13
Furman @ Chattanooga - 35-20

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2017, 07:57 PM
Furman's highlights from the win over ETSU: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOCgEYkZgXw

World
October 1st, 2017, 08:11 PM
I was 3-2 after today's games. I doubted Furman and Samford. Here's where I have it after tonight's games:

1) Wofford - Dispatched Presbyterian rather handily.
2) Western Carolina - Somewhere in Heaven, catamount man is proud of these guys.
3) Samford - Became the alpha dog against The Citadel
4) The Citadel - Can this team recover?
5) Furman - Convincingly beat the Bucs
6) ETSU - Had plenty of offense, not enough defense
7) Mercer - Crushed it against VMI
8) Chattanooga - Oh how the mighty have fallen

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - Catamounts win another one for one of their fallen superfans
Samford @ VMI (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs run roughshod on VMI
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take out frustrations on Mercer
Robert Morris @ ETSU - Bucs take care of business at home
Furman @ Chattanooga - Paladins derail the Mocs

The only easy prediction is:

Mercer - 47
The Citadel - 13

citdog
October 1st, 2017, 08:17 PM
The only easy prediction is:

Mercer - 47
The Citadel - 13

You spelled furman sucks incorrectly

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 08:31 PM
WCU
Samford
The Citadel
ETSU
Furman

NorthChuckSouth
October 1st, 2017, 08:46 PM

It is much appreciated... We'll do it again next week vs Indiana?

Smitty
October 2nd, 2017, 05:05 AM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 21-17
Samford @ VMI - 42-7
Mercer @ Citadel - xcoffeex
Furman @ Chattanooga - 35-20

I like it when you pick against Western as we keep winning those games. Keep up the good work!

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 05:16 AM
I like it when you pick against Western as we keep winning those games. Keep up the good work!

WCU has been the most impressive to me. Wofford has been able to skim by early this season, but the Catamounts can upturn the SoCon on Saturday.

phoenix3
October 2nd, 2017, 06:39 AM
WCU
SU
WC
FU
THE Citadel
MU
ETSU
UTC
VMI

Western Carolina>Wofford
Samford>VMI
The Citadel>Mercer
ETSU>RMU
Furman>Chattanooga

Smitty
October 2nd, 2017, 06:47 AM
WCU has been the most impressive to me. Wofford has been able to skim by early this season, but the Catamounts can upturn the SoCon on Saturday.

I hope they do but as a fan of Western I'm always hesitant on picking them in critical games...

1) Wofford - Still on top until the team is beaten
2) Western Carolina - Was happy to see us finally beat UTC
3) Samford
4) The Citadel - I really hope their secondary is this vulnerable in November...
5) Furman
6) ETSU
7) Mercer
8) Chattanooga - I hope both QBs make a quick recovery
9) VMI - 6 conference games left and none seem winnable

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Picking against WCU seems to be working...
Samford @ VMI
Mercer @ The Citadel - The Citadel may be more vulnerable than we all thought
Robert Morris @ ETSU
Furman @ Chattanooga

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 07:22 AM
I hope they do but as a fan of Western I'm always hesitant on picking them in critical games...

I feel the same way about Furman. Seemingly every time they looked solid the last few seasons, they would back up a game with a demoralizing loss.

I am sort of at the point, though, where regardless of what happens the rest of the season I feel monumentally better about Furman's future. The team just looks so much better than they have at any point in the last 10 years. The team is actually fun to watch.

5 weeks into a new coaching staff and with an army of freshmen, Furman looks better each week. I imagine that a year or two in, with a couple more solid recruiting classes and an ever-increasing comfort level with the system by both players and coaches, that the team may well be on the road to recovery.

Cat-in-GA
October 2nd, 2017, 08:26 AM
Power Ranking:
Wofford - Still undefeated, still the team to beat
WCU - This team seems to be getting better each week
Samford - Great win against The Citadel
Furman - Has to be feeling good about the past 2 weeks
The Citadel - I don't think they are a playoff team this year
ETSU - Good enough to spoil somebody's season, but not good enough for the playoffs
Mercer - Honestly expected more from Mercer this year
Chattanooga - Definitely not the same Chatt that we've seen the past several years
VMI - One week closer to the season being over

This week:
WCU @ Wofford - WCU wins by >7
Samford @ VMI - This game needs to start with a running clock to keep Samford under 50
Mercer @ The Citadel - The Citadel rebounds and wins by >3
Robert Morris @ ETSU - ETSU by >7
Furman @ Chattanooga - Furman gets its shot at a team that wishes it was on a bye week. Furman by >10

SU DOG
October 2nd, 2017, 09:09 AM
1. WCU - Armanti Edwards continues to impress...Oh I mean Tyree Adams. xlolx I also think the Cats' defense is underrated. Solid all around good team. Saturday is BIG.
2. SAMFORD - Our defense, which has been so criticized, has allowed only 24% of 3rd/4th down conversions in the 2 conference games. Young OL is gelling, and Hodges will be Hodges.
3. Wofford - All due respect, but right now the Terriers don't look like the Terriers to me. Ayers, however, usually has them peaking at the right time. This weekend is BIG.
4. Furman - Looks like a team that has found the answers. Secondary might be a question mark, but I'm sure glad we play them at home.
5. The Citadel - A far better team than they looked Saturday for sure. Hurricane, travel issues, and loss of former teammate might have been factors. They really miss Tyler Renew, IMO.
6. ETSU - Very good QB, and the Bucs are pretty solid. they are a threat to upset the teams above them.
7. Mercer - Inconsistency from the young QB is the problem IMO. Still, talented players who could bring the Bears way up the ladder from this spot.
8. UTC - Without Bennifield the Mocs offense is hapless, or should I say hopeless. If he gets back there might be some hope, but they seem in disarray. What an incredible drop from the upper tier.
9. VMI - I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been. Surprising that they are so much weaker than last year.

PICKS:
WESTERN
SAMFORD - Hodges vs Hodges?
THE CITADEL
ETSU
FURMAN

tenNesseeCat
October 2nd, 2017, 09:19 AM

That will be pretty cool

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:55 AM
1. WCU - Armanti Edwards continues to impress...Oh I mean Tyree Adams. xlolx I also think the Cats' defense is underrated. Solid all around good team. Saturday is BIG.
2. SAMFORD - Our defense, which has been so criticized, has allowed only 24% of 3rd/4th down conversions in the 2 conference games. Young OL is gelling, and Hodges will be Hodges.
3. Wofford - All due respect, but right now the Terriers don't look like the Terriers to me. Ayers, however, usually has them peaking at the right time. This weekend is BIG.
4. Furman - Looks like a team that has found the answers. Secondary might be a question mark, but I'm sure glad we play them at home.
5. The Citadel - A far better team than they looked Saturday for sure. Hurricane, travel issues, and loss of former teammate might have been factors. They really miss Tyler Renew, IMO.
6. ETSU - Very good QB, and the Bucs are pretty solid. they are a threat to upset the teams above them.
7. Mercer - Inconsistency from the young QB is the problem IMO. Still, talented players who could bring the Bears way up the ladder from this spot.
8. UTC - Without Bennifield the Mocs offense is hapless, or should I say hopeless. If he gets back there might be some hope, but they seem in disarray. What an incredible drop from the upper tier.

9. VMI - I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been. Surprising that they are so much weaker than last year.

PICKS:
WESTERN
THE CITADEL
ETSU
FURMAN

What a incredible drop? I can definitely echo that remark. The thing is their is a lot of talent seemingly going to waste here.
When Huesman got here he took a 1-11 team to 6-5 without really superior talent. Arth has come in here trying to force his system instead of adapting to what he has to work with and the end result has been shockingly bad.

Smitty
October 2nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
What a incredible drop? I can definitely echo that remark. The thing is their is a lot of talent seemingly going to waste here.
When Huesman got here he took a 1-11 team to 6-5 without really superior talent. Arth has come in here trying to force his system instead of adapting to what he has to work with and the end result has been shockingly bad.

I'm not a football coach but if I can't imagine trying to continue with a system that was in place after most of the staff was gutted. Especially if it wasn't something I don't usually run myself. I understand that Huesman did something similar, but maybe his system was easier for players to adapt to.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 10:35 AM
I'm not a football coach but if I can't imagine trying to continue with a system that was in place after most of the staff was gutted. Especially if it wasn't something I don't usually run myself. I understand that Huesman did something similar, but maybe his system was easier for players to adapt to.

It is an interesting comparison with the new coaching staff at Furman. By all accounts, Clay Hendrix inherited a lot less talent than Arth did, but has implemented a system based around the players and their abilities instead of trying to force a system that was ill-fit for the personnel.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 2nd, 2017, 10:56 AM

You sure about that? Robert Morris is one of the worst teams in FCS who beat up on an even worse team in FCS (VMI).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 2nd, 2017, 11:02 AM

Kinda like what's happening over at Big Brother U in Knoxville. Dormady makes Austin Herink and my cousin's son (a HS junior) look like Peyton Manning.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2017, 11:14 AM
http://www.richmond.com/sports/brothers-duncan-devlin-hodges-will-sling-it-for-opposing-teams/article_db0ea321-df7f-5e92-9df3-cf2c1cec9821.html

GreenGlasses
October 2nd, 2017, 12:26 PM

When all the firing, resigning and hiring was done in IAA last year Tom Arth was my least favorite and head scratching hire. I think you are seeing the result of the cheap and easy hire, also remember cheap doesn't always mean monetary. Looking at the rest of UTC schedule and you may have one more win but that will be a dogfight at the end of the year with ETSU. The old saying in college coaching looks to be true "You are only one bad hire away from disaster".

walliver
October 2nd, 2017, 01:44 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Wofford - still undefeated
2) WCU - moves to #1 with a win
3) Samford - manhandled the Citadel
4) The Citadel - played poorly in first half and couldn't make the big plays in the second, but team not as bad as box score makes it seem
5) Furman - picking up steam, but has WCU, Sammy and El Cid to look forward to.
6) Mercer - not the breakout year many expected
7) ETSU - a dangerous team, but still a year or two out.
... older fans will recognize the next two in the historical locations from the 90's
8) Chattanooga - Arth may need to find in new OC.
9) VMI - disappointment continues

This week:
WCU at Wofford - Western will score and Terriers will have trouble keeping up with inconsistent offense. Homerism beats out rationalism and Terriers win 38-35.
Samford at VMI - Maybe the SoCon should implement a slaughter rule to shorten this disaster. I suspect Sammy has a little letdown and VMI valiantly holds the bullpups to a 41-0 win.
Mercer at the Citadel - Chucktown pups should bounce back from last weeks disaster, but cubbies come up with a 31-28 win.
Robert Morris at ETSU - the mountain pirates are better than the roos and beat BobMo 42-17
Furman at Chattanooga - Horsies are scoring point, trainbirds are not (and are running out of QB's also). Furman win 38-7.

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM
When all the firing, resigning and hiring was done in IAA last year Tom Arth was my least favorite and head scratching hire. I think you are seeing the result of the cheap and easy hire, also remember cheap doesn't always mean monetary. Looking at the rest of UTC schedule and you may have one more win but that will be a dogfight at the end of the year with ETSU. The old saying in college coaching looks to be true "You are only one bad hire away from disaster".

Just ask Georgia Southern....

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 02:57 PM

Meh. Georgia Southern has made some good hires and fired them because they don't win enough soon enough. Eventually, folks are wise enough not to go there.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2017, 05:05 PM
If I were a gambling man I would bet on Western to beat Wofford, but at the same time, y'all really need to moderate the expectations from WCU's offense...Certainly they're capable of lighting up the scoreboard, but I don't think it's an understatement to say that Wofford has the best defense they've faced thus far. If Western can score 30, they'll win. Having said that, I don't know if they'll be able to on this defense with the Wofford offense grinding clock. Unlike Samford, Western tries to run the ball (they actually average more rush yards than wofford this year, amazingly). If anything the conflation of those two variables (Wofford's run game and Western's run game) will probably keep Western under 40. The key for Wofford is to not make any stupid mistakes. We've toned those down last week, but our playcalling at times is still suspect.

Offensively, if Wofford doesn't turn the ball over and can avoid three and outs, this game will be well within reach. We play our best ball in the second half, but we need to put together a full 60 minutes of football to win this one. The one thing you can't say about Wofford over the course of the last year or so is that we don't get up for a challenge. This team is at their best when you think they're down or when you think momentum is about to swing permanently in the other direction. The players have a lot of grit.

Mocs123
October 2nd, 2017, 07:26 PM
1) Wofford - Here until they lose - perhaps this week
2) Western Carolina -
3) Samford
4) The Citadel
5) Furman
6) ETSU
7) Mercer
8) Chattanooga
9) VMI

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Wofford
Samford @ VMI
Mercer @ The Citadel
Robert Morris @ ETSU
Furman @ Chattanooga

citdog
October 2nd, 2017, 07:59 PM

I wonder if Sewak would take their calls...

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:14 PM

That’s just it, when Arth was at John Carroll he adapted to his personnel on both sides of the ball. He even used the triple option one year. Their are just too many things not in place that make me think he could be a little lost at this level. Going from D3 to D1 is a BIG adjustment.

Mocs123
October 2nd, 2017, 09:17 PM
I was more worried about Arth being able to recruit at this level than I was about the X's and O's. It's only one class, but I was impressed with the class he had, but I have not been impressed with the X's and O's.

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:18 PM

I agree. ETSU may be the only chance we have of even going 2-9. When I first saw the name of the coach they hired I was thinking WTF. And I don’t say those things that often, but I was just hoping Blackburn knew what he was doing. It doesn’t look good right now.

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:19 PM
I was more worried about Arth being able to recruit at this level than I was about the X's and O's. It's only one class, but I was impressed with the class he had, but I have not been impressed with the X's and O's.

It’s very disturbing the lack of adjustments that have been made.

gofurman
October 3rd, 2017, 12:33 AM
1) Wofford - Here until they lose - perhaps this week
2) Western Carolina -
3) Samford
4) The Citadel
5) Furman
6) ETSU
7) Mercer
8) Chattanooga
9) VMI

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Wofford
Samford @ VMI
Mercer @ The Citadel
Robert Morris @ ETSU
Furman @ Chattanooga

All these picks for Furman to beat UTC worry me. They are an unknown. Chatt I mean. If Bennifield plays that cures a lot of ills. He was suspended for 4 games and then knocked out of the WCU game. If he plays this week it would be the first full game w him at QB. And he is a big difference maker for UTC.

Dale Warren is an NFL caliber linebacker. He was suspended for the first 5 games. The most talented D player they have. Is he back this week? If so that's a huge upgrade on D. And the UTC D was already pretty good.

The he two biggest game changers are unknown at this time. One way to,look,at it.. if Bennifield plays it doesn't matter that Tiano has a hurt shoulder. Tiano would have been the backup anyway.

Plus WCU is playing great right now and that game (UTC v WCU) snowballed w multiple fumbles being recovered in the end zone etc. just look at preseason all conference picks. UTC has a lot of talent. A lot. More than Furman by most account. One week they just may put it together

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2017, 06:33 AM
5 weeks in, here are some things in SoCon football that have really surprised me. Probably could have won a few bets getting these right.

1. WCU - The Catamounts have the best 1-2 punch in the SoCon. I think everyone expected their offense to be good, but their defense has come along and is playing more than respectably. I am anxious to see how they perform against more physical run-based offenses, as right now they've mostly played teams with a similar up and back style they run.

2. UTC's run game - The Mocs are heading in the wrong direction. They are scoring less and surrendering more. Probably most surprising is the complete absence of any ability to move the ball on the ground. UTC is averaging only 69.4 yards per game rushing.

3. Furman's offense - The Paladins' new "hybrid" offense has been a revelation. The team spent the better part of the last 5 years as one of the league's worst offenses, and now are outperforming the notoriously offense-first Samford in most categories.

4. VMI - I think VMI was expected to finish near the bottom of the SoCon, but I'm not sure anyone expected them to be this bad.

5. Detrez Newsome - With 139.2 yards per game rushing, he is easily outpacing last years individual and league-based rushing totals. I think most expected him to lead the SoCon in rushing, but not by this wide a margin.

6. Brandon Goodson - I mentioned at the time, but Goodson throws the ball better than any Wofford QB I can remember. Passing is still not a big part of the Terrier's game, but Goodson is averaging 50 yards more a game passing than he did last year.

7. Andy Schumpert - Furman's 6'5 pass-catcher moved from WR to TE right before the season. He has become a versatile weapon in the Furman offense with 9 catches for 192 and 3 touchdowns. I haven't dug into the statistics for every TE in the conference, but he is currently well out in front in production over the two preseason All SoCon picks at the position, Mercer's Sam Walker and Woffords Chandler Gouger.

longtimemocfan
October 3rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
All these picks for Furman to beat UTC worry me. They are an unknown. Chatt I mean. If Bennifield plays that cures a lot of ills. He was suspended for 4 games and then knocked out of the WCU game. If he plays this week it would be the first full game w him at QB. And he is a big difference maker for UTC.

Dale Warren is an NFL caliber linebacker. He was suspended for the first 5 games. The most talented D player they have. Is he back this week? If so that's a huge upgrade on D. And the UTC D was already pretty good.

The he two biggest game changers are unknown at this time. One way to,look,at it.. if Bennifield plays it doesn't matter that Tiano has a hurt shoulder. Tiano would have been the backup anyway.

Plus WCU is playing great right now and that game (UTC v WCU) snowballed w multiple fumbles being recovered in the end zone etc. just look at preseason all conference picks. UTC has a lot of talent. A lot. More than Furman by most account. One week they just may put it together

It depends on who you ask about Warren. Supposedly it was half a season. So is it like 6 games or right down the middle halftime of the 5th ?

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2017, 09:31 AM

UTC has talent. There is no question. Furman should not (nor do I expect will they) take the Mocs lightly.

At the moment, Furman has the best unit on the field in their offense. UTC has struggled to move the ball against pretty much everyone. Their offensive line has been wildly inconsistent, which is probably not a great matchup against the league's best pass rush.

I expect Furman to deploy a similar strategy they did against ETSU - force UTC to go one dimensional and then release 4 and 5 rushers at the QB.

Mocs123
October 3rd, 2017, 09:36 AM
The way we have been playing you won't have to make us one dimensional, we will do that ourselves. We make Samford look like a good running team.

You also don't need to send 4-5 rushers. UTM got plenty of pressure with 3.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2017, 10:23 AM
The way we have been playing you won't have to make us one dimensional, we will do that ourselves. We make Samford look like a good running team.

That's crazy.

To this point, Furman hasn't had too many "coverage sacks." Several times against ETSU they would send 6 or 7 rushers. They just sort of overwhelm the offensive front.

gofurman
October 3rd, 2017, 05:11 PM

you may be underselling your team a little bit. Granted, I have only watched the WCU v UTC game on ESPN3 but - like the hit on Bennifield - it appeared most sacks had 4 or 5 guys rushing. I didn't see a whole lot of 3 guy fronts getting sacks. Now I don't know about UTM v UTC but I wouldn't know UTM talent to judge it. I know WCU somewhat and it appeared they had 4/5 guys coming the times they got some pressure.

Like PaladinFan said (despite our 18 sacks on the year (18?) - I think we lead the SoCon) ... we don't really get pressure w 3 guys like teams that have a freaky pass rusher. Our best DL is Reid who is more of a run stopper NG. Our pressure comes from blitzes w LBs or edge CBs. The exception would be at Colgate - there we overwhelmed the OL w our front 4. But most SoCon OL we have to bring extra guys

*Any way, any word on Bennifield ?? Like I said, everyone says - " oh they are on QB number 3/4" but if Bennifield plays it negates the fact that Tiano may be out. If Bennifield plays Tiano wasn't playing anyway. ANd that would be a far better UTC O than anyone else has faced yet. And the UTC D is decent. It sounds like they may be adding an NFL talent to it... that concerns me

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
you may be underselling your team a little bit. Granted, I have only watched the WCU v UTC game on ESPN3 but - like the hit on Bennifield - it appeared most sacks had 4 or 5 guys rushing. I didn't see a whole lot of 3 guy fronts getting sacks. Now I don't know about UTM v UTC but I wouldn't know UTM talent to judge it. I know WCU somewhat and it appeared they had 4/5 guys coming the times they got some pressure.

Like PaladinFan said (despite our 18 sacks on the year (18?) - I think we lead the SoCon) ... we don't really get pressure w 3 guys like teams that have a freaky pass rusher. Our best DL is Reid who is more of a run stopper NG. Our pressure comes from blitzes w LBs or edge CBs. The exception would be at Colgate - there we overwhelmed the OL w our front 4. But most SoCon OL we have to bring extra guys

*Any way, any word on Bennifield ?? Like I said, everyone says - " oh they are on QB number 3/4" but if Bennifield plays it negates the fact that Tiano may be out. If Bennifield plays Tiano wasn't playing anyway. ANd that would be a far better UTC O than anyone else has faced yet. And the UTC D is decent. It sounds like they may be adding an NFL talent to it... that concerns me

I highly highly doubt UTC will disclose who their QB is. Bennifield and Tiano are both listed on the depth chart. The depth chart on Tuesday is sometimes only loosely tied to who plays Saturday.

I expect Furman will prepare for Bennifield. He's the best QB they've got. Anyone who isn't him will be something less and then adjust.

Actually, the way I read their depth chart is that Tiano is the starter and Bennifled may be QB2.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2017, 10:23 PM
Week 6 SOCON preview up on wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-6-preview-2/

longtimemocfan
October 3rd, 2017, 10:49 PM
I highly highly doubt UTC will disclose who their QB is. Bennifield and Tiano are both listed on the depth chart. The depth chart on Tuesday is sometimes only loosely tied to who plays Saturday.

I expect Furman will prepare for Bennifield. He's the best QB they've got. Anyone who isn't him will be something less and then adjust.

Actually, the way I read their depth chart is that Tiano is the starter and Bennifled may be QB2.

I seriously doubt you will see Bennifield this weekend. He did have a concussion and is still not doing that great. Tiano is fine, but their still working on his range of motion so their you go.

gofurman
October 3rd, 2017, 11:57 PM
I seriously doubt you will see Bennifield this weekend. He did have a concussion and is still not doing that great. Tiano is fine, but their still working on his range of motion so their you go.

Longtimemocfan, Thank you for the reply! I did notice it was Tiano's non-throwing shoulder so that ups his chances of playing IMHO. As a Furman fan who has watched us lose to you the past few years I want anyone but Bennifield. He's a game changer for the O. I'm ok w Tiano despite the Auburn (I think) pedigree. Granted, how much can anyone do if the OL doesn't block?

The Dale Warren thing is interesting. He isn't listed on the two deep so I have hope ...

gofurman
October 4th, 2017, 12:00 AM
UTC has talent. There is no question. Furman should not (nor do I expect will they) take the Mocs lightly.

At the moment, Furman has the best unit on the field in their offense. UTC has struggled to move the ball against pretty much everyone. Their offensive line has been wildly inconsistent, which is probably not a great matchup against the league's best pass rush.

I expect Furman to deploy a similar strategy they did against ETSU - force UTC to go one dimensional and then release 4 and 5 rushers at the QB.

UTC Defense may be the second best unit. Strength on strength when FU O v UTC D. Lesser units are FU D and UTC O.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 12:11 AM

That's a pretty decent, pretty good, fairly decent preview.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Look for a close victory by the Bears, 27-24.

I Didn't realize any Citadel guys hid this kind of sandbagging in them.....

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Look for a close victory by the Bears, 27-24.

I Didn't realize any Citadel guys hid this kind of sandbagging in them.....

No sandbagging. Just realism. I called Samford last week. Not by 21 mind you.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I just learned something...

CIT > Alabama

Yep, it’s 100% true!

Tickets to see Mercer @ Alabama are $45 with a $10 concession credit = Net ticket cost = $35

Tickets to see Mercer @ CIT = $36....for general admission tickets to sit in what I imagine will be a set of crappy, temporary Aluminum bleachers (capacity = 1,000) on the Visitor’s side, that most likely will be barely high enough to see over the Mercer Players on the sidelines.

Love ya Bellhops...

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 07:49 AM
That's a pretty decent, pretty good, fairly decent preview.

Yeah I know not very exciting. But you will just have to trust me. No time for deep dive.

I am at the beach with my bride.😀

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Yeah I know not very exciting. But you will just have to trust me. No time for deep dive.

I am at the beach with my bride.

Looks like you didn’t “see what I did there.”

No worries. I made me laugh (as usual).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CID1990
October 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM
No sandbagging. Just realism. I called Samford last week. Not by 21 mind you.

I picked it too - I think a lot of the faithful know how young we are

walliver
October 4th, 2017, 08:14 AM

CIT > Alabama

Yep, it’s 100% true!

Tickets to see Mercer @ Alabama are $45 with a $10 concession credit = Net ticket cost = $35

Tickets to see Mercety@ CIT = $36....for general admission tickets to sit in what I imagine will be a set of crappy, temporary Aluminum bleachers (capacity = 1,000) on the Visitor’s side, that most likely will be barely high enough to see over the Mercer Players on the sidelines.

Love ya Bellhops...

I didn't know anybody in the SoCon was more expensive than Wofford. We max out at about $30. I guess the Citadel found out they "won" the AGS best gamed day atmosphere thread.

I have seen pictures of the high-school style aluminum bleachers. With the piss-wall gone, you may have to use port-a-johns.

The last Citadel game I saw in Charleston, I walked up with money in hand, but they were giving out free tickets, so I walked in for free. That was 2013. After our win, they put on a nice fireworks show for us.

UpstateBison
October 4th, 2017, 08:32 AM
What is wrong with the Wofford play calling? Passing 6 times a game instead of 5? Not enough balance between option right vs. left?

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I didn't know anybody in the SoCon was more expensive than Wofford. We max out at about $30. I guess the Citadel found out they "won" the AGS best gamed day atmosphere thread.

I have seen pictures of the high-school style aluminum bleachers. With the piss-wall gone, you may have to use port-a-johns.

The last Citadel game I saw in Charleston, I walked up with money in hand, but they were giving out free tickets, so I walked in for free. That was 2013. After our win, they put on a nice fireworks show for us.

Yeah - Though I attended, I didn't pay the $32 to sit on the high school-like Visitors side for Furman @ Wofford & I don't intend to pay CIT's hubris-laden extortion rate either, but I am planning to attend.

SoCon Teams - Speaking as a visiting fan, Price your tickets reasonably (about $20 or less) and I'll pay full price to sit in crappy seats, with awful restrooms, and little or no concessions. Otherwise, I'll find a way to pay $0 or stay home. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
October 4th, 2017, 08:39 AM
What is wrong with the Wofford play calling? Passing 6 times a game instead of 5? Not enough balance between option right vs. left?

A big concern is passing on first down. Our offense doesn't work well with second and 10.

On the other hand, complaining about Wade Lang's play calling is a tradition that goes back over a decade. We tend to play plain vanilla with moderate passing for the first half of most seasons, before opening up later in the year (even though everybody in the SoCon knows what we are going to do).

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Option offenses are often, from a play-calling perspective, about staying on schedule. When I say our playcalling is bad, I mean we call a pass play on second and long. If you're an option offense who goes for it on 4th down a lot, second and long is a good running down, even if it's expected (because they expect you to run every play), because it puts you in position to have a manageable 3rd/4th down.

At many times this year, we've moved the ball well with our bread and butter (the option) and then we call a pass on second down and long, it goes incomplete, and we're off schedule and have to punt. When it works it works, but when it doesn't, it's ugly. You can make the case that the dynamics or similar for other non-option teams, but the difference is that those teams have a proven mid-level play that can 8-11 yards on third down. Option teams usually don't and drop-back passes are risky because offensive linemen are less habituated to pass blocking. This year, it looks like Wofford has that mid-level threat, because on occasion those play call I hate work. But still, I think it's smarter/more conservative to not put the offense in that position. It's basically a question of "do you want to show off" or "do you want to be more efficient." Our coaches often gamble with the former and lose and it's frustrating to watch.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Had not realized this, but Furman actually leads the FCS in sacks (tied with a few others), not just the SoCon.

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Looks like you didn’t “see what I did there.”

No worries. I made me laugh (as usual).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get nothing lately. I am here with my mother in law and she heading around the bend. My mind is mush.xrotatehx

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 09:18 AM

CIT > Alabama

Yep, it’s 100% true!

Tickets to see Mercer @ CIT = $36....for general admission tickets to sit in what I imagine will be a set of crappy, temporary Aluminum bleachers (capacity = 1,000) on the Visitor’s side, that most likely will be barely high enough to see over the Mercer Players on the sidelines.

Love ya Bellhops...

I got a nice seat with a back for 35. They saw you coming. I will wave to you.xthumbsupx

SCPALADIN
October 4th, 2017, 09:43 AM

CIT > Alabama

Yep, it’s 100% true!

Love ya Bellhops...

Sure beats lead poisoning....

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 10:36 AM
After last week...and really based on all season (so far), I have decided that I know absolutely NOTHING about Football. I'm sure there will be many here who concur with that assessment. Thus, I should advise that my Picks and Power Rankings below are reflective of this no FUBeAR Football knowledge situation...though I did tap/pound/puncture my brain for the corollary commentary.

PICKS

* Western Carolina @ Wofford - LittleDogs, even PorchYappers that are super-abundantly fortunate to be 4-0 (they really aren't that far from 0-4 - PC was TOTALLY IN that game until an ineligible receiver penalty cost them a critical 1st down in Woffy's red zone), do not like SmallMountainKitties using their $32/ticket turf as their litter box. The AnkleChompers are NOT impressive and they won't be again this week, but they win again as WCU chokes on a fur ball and loses 31-26. (I REALLY hope that pick is wrong!!!!!)

* Samford @ VMI - 8 > 12...as a little brother, I hate to say that, but it's true, if only due to the supporting cast, perhaps...but...it's true. dixiechs88 talks Coach Hatcher into calling off the Pups on Offense early though...and Samford's Defense (after their win last week; now clearly better than the 1938 UT Vols D...in the minds of the good people of Homewood) gets a little lazy at the end...or maybe they're just tryin' to help a brother out. Keydets fall (again) 42-14.

* Mercer @ The Citadel - They both do it again! The heartbreaking Bears lead the dastardly Bellhops at the beginning of the 4th quarter, 23-13. Mercer's Offense, recognizing the limited number of possessions available/required vs. an option team, goes into a deep freeze at 0 degrees (kelvin) to ice this victory away....and that's the same number of points they score in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, CIT's offense, after a perfect punt is downed on their 1, will score a TD & XP on a 99 yard run on 3rd & 10 up the middle (after 2 near safeties), by their B-Back, who will be untouched the entire way. With 3 minutes left, they will add a 56 yard field goal that hits the cross-bar bounces into the right upright, caroms from there to sit ON the crossbar for about 10 seconds, and then falls over for a 'good' FG to tie the game. Mercer, then, thaws out the O to go for the win and immediately goes 3 and out on 3 very nearly complete passes, using 27 seconds off the clock. After another perfect punt, the hated Bellhops move into position with their highly refined passing game and attempt a 57 yard FG for the win. The ball hits the bottom of the front of the cross-bar, but 'crawls' up & over it for the win, 26-23. I'm glad I didn't pay $36 to watch this (again), but I did enjoy the BeAr Garden (don't let me anywhere near a Sharpie over there) and my visit to Chucktown!

* Robert Morris @ ETSU - Lawless Pirates, who live in the heart of Appalachia, show no respect for the Colonials from the Northeast. Bucs win 14-7.

* Furman @ Chattanooga - I am fairly confident that the outcome of this game is in little doubt as I think Coach Hendrix will have the Paladins ready to play and win. What is in doubt, is how Chatt will recover from the dumpster fire that was their game against WCU. VMI, the previous week, didn't have enough kindling to start the dumpster fire that I predicted might occur for Chatt after I watched the JSU game (if Chatt lost to UTM - which they did)....but WCU sure had matches and lighter fluid...and lit a blazing, stinking heap of not-very-well-contained garbage in Chatt's Football Team. How they recover from this (and they will be playing with a walk-on 4th team QB this week) will determine whether Furman wins 56-3 or by a closer margin. I have some confidence in those long-term Mocs who are Sr.'s there and have won a lot of SoCon games. I think they have done some healing this week, and, surprisingly, make this one close. Paladins win 34-31.

POWER RANKINGS

Team
Record

1) Wofford
4-0

2) Samford
3-2

3) Western Carolina
4-1

4) Furman
2-3

5) CIT
3-1

6T) Chattanooga
1-4

6T) Mercer
2-3

8) ETSU
2-3

9) UNCG
0-0

10) VMI Men's Soccer
0-59-3 (since 9/5/14)

11) VMI
0-5

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I doubt Chatt scores 30 on Furman. Furman may be hurt and young, but I would still be surprised

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 10:41 AM
After last week...and really based on all season (so far), I have decided that I know absolutely NOTHING about Football. I'm sure there will be many here who concur with that assessment. Thus, I should advise that my Picks and Power Rankings below are reflective of this no FUBeAR Football knowledge situation...though I did tap/pound/puncture my brain for the corollary commentary.

Does anyone....really?

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Does anyone....really?

Its one of the few sports where the fans have no idea what's going on.

Even those that know something about football cannot sit in real time and say with any seriousness that they know what play is called, who is supposed to be where, who is supposed to block who, what route was called, what the coverage is, or whether whatshisname ran the wrong way.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I doubt Chatt scores 30 on Furman. Furman may be hurt and young, but I would still be surprised

Wellllllll.....I did SAY "surprisingly" (so we are 100% in agreement, then!)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 4th, 2017, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=FUBeAR;2541158]

10) VMI Men's Soccer
0-59-3 (since 9/5/14)

/QUOTE]

ETSU beat the daylights out of VMI on the soccer field 5-0 last night

tenNesseeCat
October 4th, 2017, 11:12 AM
(I REALLY hope that pick is wrong!!!!!)

Hey fubear, you're alright...or so I thought, until you put Samford @ #2 and WCU @ #3. xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 11:16 AM
I hate to slightly derail this thread, but I changed my email because the old one I had (quite literally) from middle school. Can I get a mod to give me back to full membership?

NorthChuckSouth
October 4th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Does anyone....really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eRRab36XLI

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Longtimemocfan, Thank you for the reply! I did notice it was Tiano's non-throwing shoulder so that ups his chances of playing IMHO. As a Furman fan who has watched us lose to you the past few years I want anyone but Bennifield. He's a game changer for the O. I'm ok w Tiano despite the Auburn (I think) pedigree. Granted, how much can anyone do if the OL doesn't block?

The Dale Warren thing is interesting. He isn't listed on the two deep so I have hope ...

Yes sir, as far as Dale Warren I still don’t have any clarification. It’s half a year which is open to interpretation. He could start this game, he could play at the half or not be able to play until next week. I think you will see Tiano this weekend. He can do a good job if protected. That’s the operative word. We didn’t give up any sacks the JSU game and considering it was LSU it wasn’t t that bad either. Since UT Martin instead of gaining confidence and developing chemistry it’s gone entirely the other way with the O Line.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Yes sir, as far as Dale Warren I still don’t have any clarification. It’s half a year which is open to interpretation. He could start this game, he could play at the half or not be able to play until next week. I think you will see Tiano this weekend. He can do a good job if protected. That’s the operative word. We didn’t give up any sacks the JSU game and considering it was LSU it wasn’t t that bad either. Since UT Martin instead of gaining confidence and developing chemistry it’s gone entirely the other way with the O Line.

I'm inclined to think that UTC is going to have to adjust to help out their offensive line. I'd expect them to try to get their backs more involved in the passing game with screens and quick hitters.

Furman will attack the backfield, but they can be risky when doing so. A couple of times against ETSU they took some pretty big risks on their pressure, leaving Buc receivers open or even completely uncovered. Most often, the QB didn't have time to find the open man, but if he did, there would have been big time trouble.

I said it early on, but the way this Furman team is set up to play is with a lead. The defense is not really set up for a game where they exchange body blows with an offense in a tight game for four quarters.

With that in mind, UTC is going to have to defend the haymakers, because the Paladins throw a bunch of them. I would expect Furman to try to get the Mocs on their heels early and jump out to a lead, which is where they want to play.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I don't mean any offense to any UTC fans, but unless something crazy happens, Chattanooga is in my eyes on their pre-Huesman levels this year. They may have a decent defense but their offense is so bad that they aren't a threat to any decent team. They can't run the ball and they can't protect their QB. Yes, they demolished a bad VMI team, but they had help with turnovers. Take away that game and they are averaging less than 10 points a game. You could even argue that all of their non-VMI TDs came in garbage time.

On any given saturday anything could happen and so I try to play down "this team is bad" talk (especially when they haven't played Wofford yet), but I'm almost as confident Wofford will beat Chattanooga as I'm confident they will beat VMI.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I don't mean any offense to any UTC fans, but unless something crazy happens, Chattanooga is in my eyes on their pre-Huesman levels this year. They may have a decent defense but their offense is so bad that they aren't a threat to any decent team. They can't run the ball and they can't protect their QB. Yes, they demolished a bad VMI team, but they had help with turnovers. Take away that game and they are averaging less than 10 points a game. You could even argue that all of their non-VMI TDs came in garbage time.

On any given saturday anything could happen and so I try to play down "this team is bad" talk (especially when they haven't played Wofford yet), but I'm almost as confident Wofford will beat Chattanooga as I'm confident they will beat VMI.

Teams like that can be dangerous. You know there's talent there, and sometimes that talent wakes up a bit. You just hope it wakes up against the other guy's team.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2017, 01:09 PM
The Mocs had a Team led meeting yesterday called by the team leaders....some people were called out..It'll be real interesting to see how they respond.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 01:12 PM
The Mocs had a Team led meeting yesterday called by the team leaders....some people were called out..It'll be real interesting to see how they respond.

"I have some confidence in those long-term Mocs who are Sr.'s there and have won a lot of SoCon games. I think they have done some healing this week"

...so, my predictions are falling into place already.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Chattanooga still has to play the Citadel, Wofford, Samford, Mercer and Furman. They don't have any easy games left. Even ETSU can beat them (and that's not a knock on ETSU, just that ETSU is trending upward and Chattanooga, the opposite)

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Chattanooga still has to play the Citadel, Wofford, Samford, Mercer and Furman. They don't have any easy games left. Even ETSU can beat them (and that's not a knock on ETSU, just that ETSU is trending upward and Chattanooga, the opposite)

ETSU will put a scare into some teams. They have a very good QB and some decent receivers.

Toby
October 4th, 2017, 02:56 PM
7. Andy Schumpert - Furman's 6'5 pass-catcher moved from WR to TE right before the season. He has become a versatile weapon in the Furman offense with 9 catches for 192 and 3 touchdowns. I haven't dug into the statistics for every TE in the conference, but he is currently well out in front in production over the two preseason All SoCon picks at the position, Mercer's Sam Walker and Woffords Chandler Gouger.

Since Sam Walker has been injured, this should not be surprising and I suspect that Wofford's TE pick was partly due to his blocking since Wofford doesn't throw that much (but I don't know what his stats are). Never-the-less, those are good TE reception #s and Schumpert is from the Nashville area, so he has that working for him.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Since Sam Walker has been injured, this should not be surprising and I suspect that Wofford's TE pick was partly due to his blocking since Wofford doesn't throw that much (but I don't know what his stats are).

Right. I didn't do a whole lot of resarch on that one other than to note Schumpert is having a really impressive season to this point.

I'm sure Gouger is recognized because of his blocking. He did lead Wofford in receptions last season, though. My recollection is he doesn't have any catches this year, but I could be wrong.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Right. I didn't do a whole lot of resarch on that one other than to note Schumpert is having a really impressive season to this point.

I'm sure Gouger is recognized because of his blocking. He did lead Wofford in receptions last season, though. My recollection is he doesn't have any catches this year, but I could be wrong.

You're right. I think we've kept those play calls close to the chest thus far (or at least I hope so)

citdog
October 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co52y85XYAAWs_O.jpg

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2017, 03:33 PM
You're right. I think we've kept those play calls close to the chest thus far (or at least I hope so)

Sort of strange that Wofford throws more than they did last year, but none of those throws have been caught by their leading receiver from last season.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2017, 03:34 PM

"Remodeled" East side of Johnson-Hagood Stadium after the debut of Carolina Reaper Brown Ale in the Beer Garden?

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Sort of strange that Wofford throws more than they did last year, but none of those throws have been caught by their leading receiver from last season.

I feel inclined to argue it's because last year our pass game was due to good play calls in specific circumstances designed for the TE, while this year we haven't run them or if we did we threw it to someone else because it was covered. Or most of our passes have been in somewhat desperate situations.

TL;DR our players this year have made plays in the pass game that exceeded the norm

ElCid
October 4th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I feel inclined to argue it's because last year our pass game was due to good play calls in specific circumstances designed for the TE, while this year we haven't run them or if we did we threw it to someone else because it was covered. Or most of our passes have been in somewhat desperate situations.

TL;DR our players this year have made plays in the pass game that exceeded the norm

I have not followed the exact pass situation of the Terriers that closely this year, but I always thought Wofford did a good job of blending them in seemlessly in prior years. Ours have been somewhat forced, at least usually. That is until this year. At least prior to the Samford game. The passes we have had against PC and ETSU seemed so much more natural and unexpected, and more importantly, successful, that I thought we finally got over that hump. We will see. There is a lot to be said for catching the defense flatfooted when they expect another dive.

longtimemocfan
October 4th, 2017, 04:08 PM

Your seeing exactly what we’re seeing and it’s not good. Like Paladin Fan is saying about adjustments that can help a team with a bad O Line, that’s the problem we have seen ZERO adjustments since the beginning of the season which has to fall to some degree in on the coaching staff.

gofurman
October 4th, 2017, 10:49 PM

PICKS

* Western Carolina @ Wofford - LittleDogs, even PorchYappers that are super-abundantly fortunate to be 4-0 (they really aren't that far from 0-4 - PC was TOTALLY IN that game until an ineligible receiver penalty cost them a critical 1st down in Woffy's red zone), do not like SmallMountainKitties using their $32/ticket turf as their litter box. The AnkleChompers are NOT impressive and they won't be again this week, but they win again as WCU chokes on a fur ball and loses 31-26. (I REALLY hope that pick is wrong!!!!!)

* Samford @ VMI - 8 > 12...as a little brother, I hate to say that, but it's true, if only due to the supporting cast, perhaps...but...it's true. dixiechs88 talks Coach Hatcher into calling off the Pups on Offense early though...and Samford's Defense (after their win last week; now clearly better than the 1938 UT Vols D...in the minds of the good people of Homewood) gets a little lazy at the end...or maybe they're just tryin' to help a brother out. Keydets fall (again) 42-14.

* Mercer @ The Citadel - They both do it again! The heartbreaking Bears lead the dastardly Bellhops at the beginning of the 4th quarter, 23-13. Mercer's Offense, recognizing the limited number of possessions available/required vs. an option team, goes into a deep freeze at 0 degrees (kelvin) to ice this victory away....and that's the same number of points they score in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, CIT's offense, after a perfect punt is downed on their 1, will score a TD & XP on a 99 yard run on 3rd & 10 up the middle (after 2 near safeties), by their B-Back, who will be untouched the entire way. With 3 minutes left, they will add a 56 yard field goal that hits the cross-bar bounces into the right upright, caroms from there to sit ON the crossbar for about 10 seconds, and then falls over for a 'good' FG to tie the game. Mercer, then, thaws out the O to go for the win and immediately goes 3 and out on 3 very nearly complete passes, using 27 seconds off the clock. After another perfect punt, the hated Bellhops move into position with their highly refined passing game and attempt a 57 yard FG for the win. The ball hits the bottom of the front of the cross-bar, but 'crawls' up & over it for the win, 26-23. I'm glad I didn't pay $36 to watch this (again), but I did enjoy the BeAr Garden (don't let me anywhere near a Sharpie over there) and my visit to Chucktown!

* Robert Morris @ ETSU - Lawless Pirates, who live in the heart of Appalachia, show no respect for the Colonials from the Northeast. Bucs win 14-7.

* Furman @ Chattanooga - I am fairly confident that the outcome of this game is in little doubt as I think Coach Hendrix will have the Paladins ready to play and win. What is in doubt, is how Chatt will recover from the dumpster fire that was their game against WCU. VMI, the previous week, didn't have enough kindling to start the dumpster fire that I predicted might occur for Chatt after I watched the JSU game (if Chatt lost to UTM - which they did)....but WCU sure had matches and lighter fluid...and lit a blazing, stinking heap of not-very-well-contained garbage in Chatt's Football Team. How they recover from this (and they will be playing with a walk-on 4th team QB this week) will determine whether Furman wins 56-3 or by a closer margin. I have some confidence in those long-term Mocs who are Sr.'s there and have won a lot of SoCon games. I think they have done some healing this week, and, surprisingly, make this one close. Paladins win 34-31.

POWER RANKINGS

Team
Record

1) Wofford
4-0

2) Samford
3-2

3) Western Carolina
4-1

4) Furman
2-3

5) CIT
3-1

6T) Chattanooga
1-4

6T) Mercer
2-3

8) ETSU
2-3

9) UNCG
0-0

10) VMI Men's Soccer
0-59-3 (since 9/5/14)

11) VMI
0-5

FUBeAR, I hope you are right about Chatt playing 4th team QB. they have listed Tiano as probable and he dinged his probable w shoulder . His non throwing shoulder. I really almost expect to see the Mississippi state transfer Tiano back out there. He has been starting all year. Plus they could pull the redshirt on the other guy .. Though I doubt that at this point

watch for Tiano and maybe even NFL future Dale Warren at LB who is eligible this week or next. That will change things in a big way for their D. I'll be curious to see if Warren plays. Hope not

gofurman
October 4th, 2017, 10:57 PM

That's the way I am guessing. Everyone is saying QB 3 or 4? I don't think it will come to that. I think we will see the same QB everyone has seen - MSU SEC transfer Tiano. Very talented guy! Mississippi State ain't recruiting slackers. Rated 20th best guy overall in Tennessee coming out of HS. Immense talent -just not a lot of running game or OL protection. A lot like ETSU on offense honestly. One dimensional. But with a far better defense in my opinion. Again, much more talent at UTC than ETSU though. A LOT MORE TALENT!! this game scares me. That typical game everyone expects you to win .. But super-talented and One week they will get that talent going and get somebody

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Georgia Southern falls to 0-4 after losing on a Wednesday night (get excited) home game to Arkansas State. Announced attendance was around 13,000.

Hope the SunBelt is working out for them.

Catamount87
October 5th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Georgia Southern falls to 0-4 after losing on a Wednesday night (get excited) home game to Arkansas State. Announced attendance was around 13,000.

The dumpster fire in Paulson Stadium appears to be adding a new aroma to Stinksboro, I mean Statsboro. And judging by the photo, FUBeAR must have been at that game too.

CID1990
October 5th, 2017, 05:50 AM
The dumpster fire in Paulson Stadium appears to be adding a new aroma to Stinksboro, I mean Statsboro. And judging by the photo, FUBeAR must have been at that game too.

Guys guys guys

Its about the EXPOSURE

and the "front porch" and all that

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2017, 06:14 AM

Massey Matchup predicts the Iggles will end up getting to 0-7 before they squeak out 3 wins over GaSt, SouthAlabama, and Coastal Carolina to finish 3-9.

Go Panthers, Jaguars, and BeachChickens!!!!

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Massey Matchup predicts the Iggles will end up getting to 0-7 before they squeak out 3 wins over GaSt, SouthAlabama, and Coastal Carolina to finish 3-9.

Go Panthers, Jaguars, and BeachChickens!!!!

Talk about unwatchable. I saw Georgia State play in Week 1 and left thoroughly convinced they would finish bottom 3 in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2017, 06:47 AM
I got a kick out of this. Georgia Southern has probably the fewest uniform elements of any team in college football, and they still manage to screw them up.

https://twitter.com/RiotVillage/status/915752518570987520

ElCid
October 5th, 2017, 08:16 AM

But for the funniest story you will hear. Last night my wife came into the living room and nonchalantly said, "did you see Georgia Southern is like 0-3. They are getting beat bad again, on National TV by someone I never heard of." And then she laughed a hideous laugh. Then I couldn't stop laughing. Smart women my bride.xnodx

ElCid
October 5th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Didn't expect there to be any QB controversy with my Dogs, but Coach Thompson confirms it.

With only 16 games as a head coach under his belt, The Citadel's Brent Thompson still encounters something new every once in a while......

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-won-t-hit-panic-button-dominique-allen-remains/article_2ab5a504-a862-11e7-a63a-6ff8b4bc5a01.html

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Didn't expect there to be any QB controversy with my Dogs, but Coach Thompson confirms it.

It isn't panic button time, but it has to be a little concerning that the Citadel surrendered to 156 yards rushing to Samford and struggled to move the ball on their defense.

Sometimes a team just doesn't show up. I've seen enough of that the last few years to confirm it happens.

GreenGlasses
October 5th, 2017, 02:33 PM

Why would the Citadel burn their lockers....

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Western Carolina
Wofford
Samford
Furman
The Citadel
Mercer
ETSU
Chattanooga
VMI

Western Carolina-31 Wofford-28 If Newsome plays and is effective.
Samford-56 VMI-10
The Citadel-24 Mercer-21
ETSU-24 Robert Morris-14
Furman-38 ​Chattanooga-7

Blazrdog1
October 5th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Like I said a couple of weeks ago...JSwho...See ya in the playoffs!

gofurman
October 5th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Teams like that can be dangerous. You know there's talent there, and sometimes that talent wakes up a bit. You just hope it wakes up against the other guy's team.

I think UTC lead the SoCon with TEN all-conference pre-season picks. I am almost sure it was ten. that's sick talent. Now Bennifield and Warren being suspended changes that. But both or neither may show up this week - no one is sure of their status yet.

The only team that may have had more or close pre-season all conference picks was Wofford. I just checked. 10 for UTC and 7 for Wofford. UTC has talent all over the field.. coaching?

Mocs123
October 5th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I think UTC lead the SoCon with TEN all-conference pre-season picks. I am almost sure it was ten. that's sick talent. Now Bennifield and Warren being suspended changes that. But both or neither may show up this week - no one is sure of their status yet.

The only team that may have had more or close pre-season all conference picks was Wofford. I just checked. 10 for UTC and 7 for Wofford. UTC has talent all over the field.. coaching?

coaching. schemes don't fit the players, play calling has been bad. One other thing that has hurt is our oline (who had to replace 3 starters) hasn't gelled and seems to get worse every week. Tiano holds on to the ball way too long too and it's a domino effect. We have talent for sure, but just can't do anything with it.

citdog
October 5th, 2017, 07:52 PM
coaching. schemes don't fit the players, play calling has been bad. One other thing that has hurt is our oline (who had to replace 3 starters) hasn't gelled and seems to get worse every week. Tiano holds on to the ball way too long too and it's a domino effect. We have talent for sure, but just can't do anything with it.

But Arth was a GENIUS you ALL said. It's the Coaches job to design a scheme that fits his talent. How long until y'all admit the mistake and fire him and go looking for a REAL DI Coach?

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2017, 08:23 PM

I feel your pain. For years it seemed like Furman's offensive coordinator was forcing an offensive scheme on players ill-suited to run it.

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2017, 08:34 PM
It will be interesting to see how many coaches Arth hangs on to in the off season. I thing there will be a serious addition of maturity to his staff. Probably replace/add 2 or 3 guys that have been around for a while. I'll give him some excuse of having his staff pillaged before they got going and had to just add what was left. hopefully he knows a few old dudes from the past!!!!

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2017, 08:54 PM
But Arth was a GENIUS you ALL said. It's the Coaches job to design a scheme that fits his talent. How long until y'all admit the mistake and fire him and go looking for a REAL DI Coach?

Are you kidding me ? If he ends up being a bust the only hope we would have is for him to resign. He’s making $ 300,000 plus a year for 4 years from what I gather. No way we could buy him out anytime soon.

citdog
October 5th, 2017, 08:56 PM
It will be interesting to see how many coaches Arth hangs on to in the off season. I thing there will be a serious addition of maturity to his staff. Probably replace/add 2 or 3 guys that have been around for a while. I'll give him some excuse of having his staff pillaged before they got going and had to just add what was left. hopefully he knows a few old dudes from the past!!!!

Arth BARELY shaves. How many "Old Dudes" could he possibly know??

citdog
October 5th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Are you kidding me ? If he ends up being a bust the only hope we would have is for him to resign. He’s making $ 300,000 plus a year for 4 years from what I gather. No way we could buy him out anytime soon.

I could have ruined your program for a third of what y'all are paying that guy...

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2017, 08:58 PM

The first two I’d replace are the O Line coach and offensive coordinator. Going to have change something up.

gofurman
October 5th, 2017, 09:56 PM
I feel your pain. For years it seemed like Furman's offensive coordinator was forcing an offensive scheme on players ill-suited to run it.

And yet many FU fans apologized for that guy and backed him even when it was becoming obvious he might cost two head coaches their jobs. I have said it before - loyalty is great to AN EXTENT. Just think how brutally selfish it was to keep that OC. Brutally selfish. He should have resigned of his own. It made players lose games. It made other assistant Coaches LOSE JOBS!! Possibly cost two head coaches their jobs. You have to sacrifice the one to save the many. That's obvious. When one guy is costing numerous other guys their jobs it's time to severe ties

football is like a company. When the CFO is costing subsequent CEOs and COOs their jobs... You cut that CFO. But us smart Furmans wouldn't do that. We ain't too bright sometimes.

gofurman
October 5th, 2017, 09:58 PM
The first two I’d replace are the O Line coach and offensive coordinator. Going to have change something up.

I agree. Your defense seems pretty good. And that's without your best guy. And without much help from your o. If the O would stay out there longer the D would be better rested

citdog
October 5th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Are you kidding me ? If he ends up being a bust...

NEWS FLASH.... He ALREADY is.... If you are SMART which NOBODY associated with or who EVER attended UTC has been accused of being you'll cut bait NOW and hire a REAL COACH...

Schism55
October 6th, 2017, 12:23 AM
NEWS FLASH.... He ALREADY is.... If you are SMART which NOBODY associated with or who EVER attended UTC has been accused of being you'll cut bait NOW and hire a REAL COACH...
Tell us how you REALLY feel :D

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2017, 07:57 AM

I'm smart enough to sign checks for the guys that work for me that wear those clunky rings from Citadel. They do a good job waxing the floors and their shoes shine.

longtimemocfan
October 6th, 2017, 08:21 AM

It’s got nothing to do with being smart and certainly YOU can do simple arithmetic. Not too many schools at this level are going to be able to buy a coach out in the early stages of a contract making that kind of money.

SCPALADIN
October 6th, 2017, 09:37 AM
According to the UTC play-by-play guy in an interview this morning... Warren is suspended for the first six games...not 5 1/2 as many have speculated. Also, it looks like Bennefield is not going to play and Tiano will get the start at QB.

KPSUL
October 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Wofford
Samford
Mercer
ETSU
Furman

Smitty
October 6th, 2017, 07:00 PM
It’s got nothing to do with being smart and certainly YOU can do simple arithmetic. Not too many schools at this level are going to be able to buy a coach out in the early stages of a contract making that kind of money.

Western always did after signing their coaches to fat extensions, which explains the state of our program. I think Speir is the first coach to actually produce a winning season after an extension since the late 80s...

longtimemocfan
October 6th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Western always did after signing their coaches to fat extensions, which explains the state of our program. I think Speir is the first coach to actually produce a winning season after an extension since the late 80s...

You guy’s have certainly been through it. Western not only being relevant, but being pretty dang good just helps the conference get better. I gained a lot of respect for Speir after his rant after their game with Alabama. He couldn’t have been more spot on with his comments about super douche Herbstreit.

gofurman
October 6th, 2017, 11:37 PM

As evidenced by their score v VMI. Chat won by 50+ or something? Chatt is way way better than VMI. I expect they will get a team or two. VMI will not. And if Bennifield returns they are very dangerous. I'll be interested in Chatts season.

DoWe
October 7th, 2017, 12:39 AM
My picks for SoCon winners week 6:

WCU
Mercer
Furman
ETSU
Samford

My misses so far this season include Furman/Elon, WCU/GWU, Furman/Colgate and Citadel/Samford. 4 misses in 5 weeks, but now the rubber is hitting the road. Good luck to all!

chattownmocs
October 7th, 2017, 01:01 AM

Chattanooga will beat the Citadel. Put that in the bank right now. Quote it, save it, keep it, use it against me if I'm wrong. We might come very close to shutting you guys out.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Chattanooga will beat the Citadel. Put that in the bank right now. Quote it, save it, keep it, use it against me if I'm wrong. We might come very close to shutting you guys out.

i’m not sure if Chatt will beat CIT, but I’m pretty sure CIT fans need to apologize for the millions of disparaging comments they have made about ChuckSouth’s Stadium. These are the middle school-level bleachers I’ll be occupying in Johnson Hagood Stadium today.

https://s1.postimg.org/6hvzxdh9b3/07_D292_A7-_C637-4574-_AFBD-_ACD62855_A6_FF.jpg

ElCid
October 7th, 2017, 07:02 AM
i’m not sure if Chatt will beat CIT, but I’m pretty sure CIT fans need to apologize for the millions of disparaging comments they have made about ChuckSouth’s Stadium. These are the middle school-level bleachers I’ll be occupying in Johnson Hagood Stadium today.

https://s1.postimg.org/6hvzxdh9b3/07_D292_A7-_C637-4574-_AFBD-_ACD62855_A6_FF.jpg

Easy Trigger. Can't build Rome in a day. They are TEMPORARY. You better spend some time in the beer tent. Going to hot over there in the sun. Also, the earlier you get there, the better. Parking will be brutal since it is Parents Day. I plan on getting there 2-3 hours prior. The general parking area is partially closed as well. We aren't tailgating ourselves but joining some folks or I would invite you over.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Easy Trigger. Can't build Rome in a day. They are TEMPORARY. You better spend some time in the beer tent. Going to hot over there in the sun. Also, the earlier you get there, the better. Parking will be brutal since it is Parents Day. I plan on getting there 2-3 hours prior. The general parking area is partially closed as well. We aren't tailgating ourselves but joining some folks or I would invite you over.

Isn't EVERYTHING temporary...really? Like CIT's temporary success in SoCon football, as Ancient Rome, began its fall in Homewood last week.

No parking required. Walking over from the Marriott. We are Tailgating behind enemy lines today. So...if you see some Orange in there among your BabyBlue clad brethren, come say Hi.

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2017, 07:37 AM
We don't fill it, but we do have a REAL STADIUM with TWO sides!!!!

Sir William
October 7th, 2017, 07:46 AM
We don't fill it, but we do have a REAL STADIUM with TWO sides!!!!

No, the city of Chattanooga has a stadium with two sides...y'all just borrow it.

ElCid
October 7th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Isn't EVERYTHING temporary...really? Like CIT's temporary success in SoCon football, as Ancient Rome, began its fall in Homewood last week.

No parking required. Walking over from the Marriott. We are Tailgating behind enemy lines today. So...if you see some Orange in there among your BabyBlue clad brethren, come say Hi.

Hey, Rome lasted 1200+ years, I will take that "temporary" length.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2017, 08:51 AM
As evidenced by their score v VMI. Chat won by 50+ or something? Chatt is way way better than VMI. I expect they will get a team or two. VMI will not. And if Bennifield returns they are very dangerous. I'll be interested in Chatts season.

I'm skeptical. Bad teams are capable of blowing out worse teams. I remember when a 3-8 Wofford team blew out the Citadel in 2009. Admittedly, that Citadel team was better than this VMI team and this Chatt team is probably more talented than that injury-depleted Wofford team (admittedly, this isn't an optimal example, that game's final score was a surprise). VMI turned the ball over so many times against Chatt, and I think I read somewhere that Chatt got the ball at the 45 or better multiple times.

Considering Chatt hasn't scored much outside of that game (they've scored 100 this year...63 in that game), I think it's more of a statistical outlier, given all of the factors

ElCid
October 7th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I'm skeptical. Bad teams are capable of blowing out worse teams. I remember when a 3-8 Wofford team blew out the Citadel in 2009. Admittedly, that Citadel team was better than this VMI team and this Chatt team is probably more talented than that injury-depleted Wofford team (admittedly, this isn't an optimal example, that game's final score was a surprise). VMI turned the ball over so many times against Chatt, and I think I read somewhere that Chatt got the ball at the 45 or better multiple times.

Considering Chatt hasn't scored much outside of that game (they've scored 100 this year...63 in that game), I think it's more of a statistical outlier, given all of the factors

Yeah, but what makes that game even more sad is we were not even that bad that year. 4-7 sure, but four scores from being 8-3. We were just inconsistent. Losing to bad or so-so teams and beating or almost beating much better teams. The heart breaker was losing to App St in OT. I left the stadium very sad that day. It happens.

The Mocs O has been really bad for sure. But their potential was/is not as bad as their results to date. New coaches, temp QB, heir apparent QB out...and each week putting them in a deeper hole for the season, and it all adds up to a mess for them. Scoring less than ten points a game, sans VMI, is unimaginable for them recently. Last week may have been the final nail for them emotionally though. But we will see what that team and their new coach are made of.

longtimemocfan
October 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but what makes that game even more sad is we were not even that bad that year. 4-7 sure, but four scores from being 8-3. We were just inconsistent. Losing to bad or so-so teams and beating or almost beating much better teams. The heart breaker was losing to App St in OT. I left the stadium very sad that day. It happens.

The Mocs O has been really bad for sure. But their potential was/is not as bad as their results to date. New coaches, temp QB, heir apparent QB out...and each week putting them in a deeper hole for the season, and it all adds up to a mess for them. Scoring less than ten points a game, sans VMI, is unimaginable for them recently. Last week may have been the final nail for them emotionally though. But we will see what that team and their new coach are made of.

Hopefully something will give if this keeps up. Got too much talent to see this unfold on the field. Word now is they’re going to take the redshirt off a talented true freshman and he could start today. Hope they have some under 2 second reads for him so he doesn’t get stage fright early.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Hopefully something will give if this keeps up. Got too much talent to see this unfold on the field. Word now is their going to take the redshirt off a talented true freshman and he could start today. Hope they have some under 2 second reads for him so he doesn’t get stage fright early.

Seems like a bad move to lose 4 more years with the redshirt coming off the QB. I know this was talked about on your board, but what does UTC gain? Maybe they win 3 or so more games and finish with a total of 4 or 5 wins, but maybe they kid really struggles and loses confidence or worse - he gets blasted and hurt behind a suspect offensive line. As a true freshman is the consensus he will immediately be better than Tiano or the guy who came in at the end of the WCU game (I have no idea)??? I just don't get any upside IF the program really does think he is the future. But of course easy to say coming from an outside fanbase.

JSUSoutherner
October 7th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hey Citdog, remind me why we shouldn't have dropped you guys so much again?

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Furman takes ball and scores.

UTC starting the freshman Copeland

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Furman up 34-10.

For the 5th week in a row PJ Blazejowski throws a 60+ yard TD pass.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM
PJ Blazejowski helped off the field with apparent knee injury. Not sure what the extent it. That could be a big factor in the SoCon title race.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2017, 05:26 PM
PJ Blazejowski helped off the field with apparent knee injury. Not sure what the extent it. That could be a big factor in the SoCon title race.

or at the very least, Furman's playoff hopes.

Furman is decimated this year by injuries. That, combined with their youth says to me that they will be a force to be reckoned with for the forseeable future.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 05:32 PM
or at the very least, Furman's playoff hopes.

Furman is decimated this year by injuries. That, combined with their youth says to me that they will be a force to be reckoned with for the forseeable future.

This is without question a rebuilding year. Furman could not win another game and I'll be pretty convinced they are going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward.

Not sure how long Blaze will be out. Furman's offense is entirely built on utilizing a lot of different players, so I expect we'll see what Harris Roberts has to him.

kdinva
October 7th, 2017, 06:06 PM
...Not sure how long Blaze will be out. Furman's offense is entirely built on utilizing a lot of different players, so I expect we'll see what Harris Roberts has to him.

So VMI may have to prep for 2 QBs...

JSUSoutherner
October 7th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Furman takes ball and scores.

UTC starting the freshman Copeland

Where is Tiano and Bennefield?

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Where is Tiano and Bennefield?

Not playing football today.

By taking the shirt off, I assume that means that Bennefield is out longer than anticipated.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 06:10 PM
So VMI may have to prep for 2 QBs...

We'll see. Blazejowski has been pedaling the bike on the sideline, and is walking around with an ice pack on his leg. That at least suggests to me it not a serious knee injury. If it was, he wouldn't be riding the bike and walking around.

No one really knows what Harris Roberts can do. He's tall (6'5, I think), and has played mostly mop up duty and handed the ball to the running back.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM

If I was a The Citadel man (which I'm not) and if The Citadel beat Chattanooga (which I think will happen), I would order a year's supply of crow and ship it to chattownmocs' house.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 08:09 PM
UTC's 7 rushing yards represented the least by an opponent in 16 years.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2017, 08:19 PM
UTC's 7 rushing yards represented the least by an opponent in 16 years.

also not the least they've rushed for this year. UTM held them to 6.

Chattanooga has a terrible rush offense (and I'm not taking away from Furman, this just deserves our attention by itself).

Today against WCU, Wofford ran for more yards than Chattanooga has all season (393 >354). Chattanooga is averaging 59 yards rushing a game. About 40% of their rush yards came against VMI. If you take away that game, they average a painfully bad 41 yards a game.

It would be one thing if they were Samford with these numbers, but they aren't. They're a pro-set team that can't run the ball and quite frankly can't defend the QB. They've let the QB get sacked 21 times this year.

It's really amazing how Chattanooga has imploded offensively with Huesman gone.

SCPALADIN
October 7th, 2017, 08:28 PM
If I was a The Citadel man (which I'm not) and if The Citadel beat Chattanooga (which I think will happen), I would order a year's supply of crow and ship it to chattownmocs' MOM'S house.

Fixed

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 08:35 PM
also not the least they've rushed for this year. UTM held them to 6.

Chattanooga has a terrible rush offense (and I'm not taking away from Furman, this just deserves our attention by itself).

Today against WCU, Wofford ran for more yards than Chattanooga has all season (393 >354). Chattanooga is averaging 59 yards rushing a game. About 40% of their rush yards came against VMI. If you take away that game, they average a painfully bad 41 yards a game.

It would be one thing if they were Samford with these numbers, but they aren't. They're a pro-set team that can't run the ball and quite frankly can't defend the QB. They've let the QB get sacked 21 times this year.

It's really amazing how Chattanooga has imploded offensively with Huesman gone.

Hard to pin point it. They have zero inside threat in the running game. It looks like their only answer in the running game is trying to get Bagley to the edge.

Mocs123
October 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM
First off Congratulations to FU on the win. You guys dominated the line of scrimmage and ran it down our throats.

I thought our true freshman QB looked pretty good tonight actually, he has some promise for the future anyways.

Our lack of run game is disturbing. I know we lost Craine, who was an amazing back, but Bagley had some good games as a backup and we have Darryl Bridges who was a 1000 yard back at Presbyterian. You would think we could run for 100 yards a game at least. We do have a bigger back that is red-shirting, and hope he is the answer next year as we lack that Keon Williams or Derrick Craine style back.

The other disturbing thing is our defense, who seems to have continuously gotten worse throughout the year. I have said all year that our D wasn't that bad, but tonight we were bad. Furman ran the ball at will and dominated the line of scrimmage. We got pushed off the line and didn't tackle well. When we did tackle, we tackled high and never got leverage to push anyone back. We didn't play the option well either, so The Citadel and Wofford will have a field day.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2017, 09:23 PM
To be fair to Chatt's defense, they did play 2 of the best offenses in the last 2 weeks. They have problems, yes, but both furman and Western's offenses are really good

ElCid
October 7th, 2017, 09:25 PM
If I was a The Citadel man (which I'm not) and if The Citadel beat Chattanooga (which I think will happen), I would order a year's supply of crow and ship it to chattownmocs' house.

Don't know with the way we are playing. We just don't have sort of timing or chemistry right now. Not to mention our O-line is getting pushed around. I had a sneaky suspicion that losing so many starters might effect us more than most folks realized. They still have moments of brilliance, but not enough obviously. We will see what happens.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2017, 09:28 PM
First off Congratulations to FU on the win. You guys dominated the line of scrimmage and ran it down our throats.

I thought our true freshman QB looked pretty good tonight actually, he has some promise for the future anyways.

Our lack of run game is disturbing. I know we lost Craine, who was an amazing back, but Bagley had some good games as a backup and we have Darryl Bridges who was a 1000 yard back at Presbyterian. You would think we could run for 100 yards a game at least. We do have a bigger back that is red-shirting, and hope he is the answer next year as we lack that Keon Williams or Derrick Craine style back.

The other disturbing thing is our defense, who seems to have continuously gotten worse throughout the year. I have said all year that our D wasn't that bad, but tonight we were bad. Furman ran the ball at will and dominated the line of scrimmage. We got pushed off the line and didn't tackle well. When we did tackle, we tackled high and never got leverage to push anyone back. We didn't play the option well either, so The Citadel and Wofford will have a field day.

I was surprised at the defense. Furman ran effectively a full back dive nearly 40 times, and often on 3rd down. UTC showed little ability to stop it.

Copeland looked good. He stayed poised in there against a Furman defense that likes amping up pressure. He throws nice ball downfield.

Mocs123
October 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM
Furman had a physicality that I hadn't seem from them in years.

GreenGlasses
October 7th, 2017, 10:00 PM
UTC is looking worse than they were under Allison. No run game, no real passing threat and the lines look undisciplined. Poor execution all the way around. And truthfully I don't see it turning around anytime soon. UTC may be in the basement until they are able to actually fire Arth. Unfortunately for UTC the earliest that might be is 2020 or 2021. I just don't see this train ever getting back on the tracks.

gofurman
October 8th, 2017, 01:17 AM

I was surprised at our ability (Furman) to line up and just fullback dive when everyone knew it s coming. I say that w respect bc I watched UTC play UTM and western and your run D was actually good or decent. Tennessee Martin only had about 40 yds rushing at half vs Chatt. I was shocked how easily Furman lined up and just announced we are about to run.. And got 5 yards

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Furman had a physicality that I hadn't seem from them in years.

There were many that closely linked Furman's slow slide into medicority with the departure of Clay Hendrix. Hendrix has brought back a lot of that physicality, especially along the offenisive line, which has been missing for a long while.

PaladinNation
October 8th, 2017, 07:26 AM
There were many that closely linked Furman's slow slide into medicority with the departure of Clay Hendrix. Hendrix has brought back a lot of that physicality, especially along the offenisive line, which has been missing for a long while.

Boy, what a difference a year makes. Or should I say, boy what a difference the right mix of a new coaching staff can make on an uninspired program. Yesterday was a throwback to the way Furman's offensive line used to play. Many times Furman just went to war and pushed the Mocs backwards as our big backs just churned behind them for yardage.

Maybe the most shocking thing this season about Furman is how they are standing strong through all the injuries. Losing a player like Gordon probably the most dynamic player on the team would have been devasting in years past. But, somehow they keep plugging guys in and finding ways to spread the ball around.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Boy, what a difference a year makes. Or should I say, boy what a difference the right mix of a new coaching staff can make on an uninspired program. Yesterday was a throwback to the way Furman's offensive line used to play. Many times Furman just went to war and pushed the Mocs backwards as our big backs just churned behind them for yardage.

Maybe the most shocking thing this season about Furman is how they are standing strong through all the injuries. Losing a player like Gordon probably the most dynamic player on the team would have been devasting in years past. But, somehow they keep plugging guys in and finding ways to spread the ball around.

Definitely. Furman has played the last few weeks without arguably their best players on offense (Gordon) and defense (Olusanya). Both are expected back.

Kealand Dirks has been a revelation. Furman hasn't had that sort of production from a big fullback since Felton ten years ago.

FUGameBreaker
October 8th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I was surprised at our ability (Furman) to line up and just fullback dive when everyone knew it s coming. I say that w respect bc I watched UTC play UTM and western and your run D was actually good or decent. Tennessee Martin only had about 40 yds rushing at half vs Chatt. I was shocked how easily Furman lined up and just announced we are about to run.. And got 5 yards

It truly was a thing of beauty!