PDA

View Full Version : UNI @ Southern Illinois

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Anyone able to get the video through ESPN3 to work?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2017, 06:26 PM
No....espn3 is not working for me....

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM
ESPN3 working now....

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2017, 06:40 PM
How did SIU compete with Memphis?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2017, 07:26 PM
UNI up at half.

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I won't be voting for either of these teams.

Mayville Bison
September 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Wow, what a way to end it

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2017, 09:40 PM
I was supposed to believe that just because SIU was "competitive" with Memphis they were worthy to be ranked. I said it was a trap game for Memphis after their emotional upset over UCLA. I tell you what SIU is who I thought they were.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2017, 09:53 PM
I was supposed to believe that just because SIU was "competitive" with Memphis they were worthy to be ranked. I said it was a trap game for Memphis after their emotional upset over UCLA. I tell you what SIU is who I thought they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

???

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Well we didn't let them off the hook ;)

Bisonator
September 30th, 2017, 09:56 PM
**** UNI. When I pick them they lose when I pick them to lose they win. I hate them!xmadx

POD Knows
September 30th, 2017, 09:59 PM
**** UNI. When I pick them they lose when I pick them to lose they win. I hate them!xmadxI picked UNI to win but I wanted them to lose, they dodged a freaking bullet at the end, got lucky.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Well we didn't let them off the hook ;)

You'd think Farley was not coaching then? :D

Houndawg
September 30th, 2017, 10:58 PM
I picked UNI to win but I wanted them to lose, they dodged a freaking bullet at the end, got lucky.

Both teams stunk, 4-7/5-6 is about all they'll do this season.

Houndawg
September 30th, 2017, 11:05 PM

There are like 10 seniors on the entire roster. We'll be ok but this isn't the year. UNI was better than us but only just. I think we actually had a few more rushing yards than they did. My guess at this point is that we'll finish 7th and 8th in conference.

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2017, 11:10 PM
There are like 10 seniors on the entire roster. We'll be ok but this isn't the year. UNI was better than us but only just. I think we actually had a few more rushing yards than they did. My guess at this point is that we'll finish 7th and 8th in conference.

I think Nick Hill has the ship headed back in the right direction. I was just skeptical that up until this point SIU had done anything to be ranked. This was two average teams playing each other which is sad considering this used to be the game of the year when they would play. Memphis getting crushed by UCF tonight doesn't really help the "We played close to Memphis" case either.

JayJ79
September 30th, 2017, 11:16 PM
I think we actually had a few more rushing yards than they did.
That's not really much of an accomplishment with this year's UNI team.

Houndawg
October 1st, 2017, 09:40 AM
I think Nick Hill has the ship headed back in the right direction. I was just skeptical that up until this point SIU had done anything to be ranked. This was two average teams playing each other which is sad considering this used to be the game of the year when they would play. Memphis getting crushed by UCF tonight doesn't really help the "We played close to Memphis" case either.

that's it in a nutshell. I think you're right about Hill and I think he'll represent us well, the guy is a class act all the way.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not really much of an accomplishment with this year's UNI team.

Its an accomplishment for us to outrush anybody.

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2017, 11:31 AM
I mean we got 133 rushing yards this week as opposed to the -14 we had against SUU so there was an improvement.

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2017, 01:03 PM
I mean we got 133 rushing yards this week as opposed to the -14 we had against SUU so there was an improvement.

I never would have thought that SIU could have more rushing yards than UNI and lose. I think we caught you in the wrong part of the schedule

skinny_uncle
October 3rd, 2017, 11:54 PM
I never would have thought that SIU could have more rushing yards than UNI and lose. I think we caught you in the wrong part of the schedule

Straub had his worst game and it killed them.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Straub had his worst game and it killed them.

A friend of mine who was at the game was sitting behind Straubs people who were apparently keeping a steady stream of vitriol directed at the receivers in a most unteammatelike fashion

clenz
October 4th, 2017, 08:01 AM
I did a break down on UNI's roster Monday - not because of this post just out of curiosity

I did it based on kids who are playing, not entire roster but you'd see a similar story if I broke it out to full roster

There have been 65 players that have played through 4 games. This team has not been in an empty the bench game. I haven't done any looking, but my gut tells me 65 players participating in 4 tightly contested games is high.

I looked and there have 35 underclassmen that have played. That's over half of our players
21 freshman (5 true and 16 redshirt) freshman that have played.
14 sophomores
17 juniors
13 seniors

There were 8 freshman or sophomores that started vs SIU

WR Jaylin James - soph
TE Briley Moore - soph
RT Spencer Brown - rs fr
LG Jackson Scott-Brown - soph
RB Trevor Allen - soph
SS Korby Sander - rs fr
FS Suni Lane - true fr
DE Seth Thomas - soph

EDIT: LOOKED AT CLASS BREAKDOWN FOR BOTH

SIU
UNI

FR

SO

JR

SR

Fountain is a monster but look at the WR production after that. Weston (FR), James (So), Moore (So), Allen (So) and Graham (So) combined for 19 of the 26 catches and 150 of the 266 yards.

Defensively our 2nd leading tackler was a true freshman. A RS freshman was 4th. That RS freshman caused the game sealing fumble that the true freshman recovered. A third RS freshman had another pick that helped seal the game out. The guy with the most PBUs? A RS Freshman.

Straub played his worst game, and it was against a back 7 of a UNI defense that had, minimum, of 3 or 4 freshman out there on every single play. I was quite unimpressed with his arm strength and his accuracy. He actually completed a lower % of his passes vs SEMO (44% vs 46%). Difference is, even in our worst year, we are still light years a head of SEMO, which will help the TD stats vs SEMO. Based on the hype around him I thought I would have seem something more similar to TC at SDSU or big armed like Matt Brown from ISUr a few years back. Yards per attempt is down around 6, 53% on the season (55%) for his career). I really expected Dunne to be the second best QB on the field Saturday, and that wasn't the case.

I started looking at stats, and it's really not all that close. Both played 5 games last year and 4 games this year. To compare them

Dunne:
196-311 (63%) 2,312 yards 18 TD

Straub:
152-277 (55%) 2,138 yards 20 TD

clenz
October 4th, 2017, 08:02 AM
A friend of mine who was at the game was sitting behind Straubs people who were apparently keeping a steady stream of vitriol directed at the receivers in a most unteammatelike fashion
He wasn't even close on many of his throws. His guys were wide open. UNI was playing 3 or 4 freshman in coverage. He just wasn't accurate. He was short hopping 4 yard out routes.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2017, 06:42 PM
He wasn't even close on many of his throws. His guys were wide open. UNI was playing 3 or 4 freshman in coverage. He just wasn't accurate. He was short hopping 4 yard out routes.

I saw it. He lost at least three long gainers because he didn't hit his backs in stride out of the backfield. Bubble screen thrown at the receivers feet. Awful. It was a good job defensively, too, I think having two weeks to get ready helped. We have a freshman who may take Straubs job next year. Young and green takes patience from the fans, especially when the D line is two true freshmen, a red shirt freshman, and a sophomore. Actually the defense exceeded expectations and played well enough to win, a rarity.