PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs App State

NDSUFREAK
February 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
A lot of talk about the possibility of this game. It would either be September 1st or 15th at the FFD. This can go out to anybody, but mostly the ASU fans. Would this be a pretty good posibility for you? We are in dire need of home games and how great would this game be!

th0m
February 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I think App is also in dire need of home games. Just a shame to see both programs struggling to find teams to play.

Peems
February 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
A lot of talk about the possibility of this game. It would either be September 1st or 15th at the FFD. This can go out to anybody, but mostly the ASU fans. Would this be a pretty good posibility for you? We are in dire need of home games and how great would this game be!

this reminds of the earlier words from our AD who said that both schools were interested in playing but costs were just too high. The locations of missoula and boone are not "cost efficient" and i believe fargo is not the most "convenient" place to travel to. I dont know how the budget for either school is but if the game were to happen it would be great for all of FCS.

gvilleapp
February 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I would love to see it happen. My wife and I are hoping to take a road trip to see the Apps play somewhere we have never been. We would love to see the Sept. 1st date happen so we could visit over the holiday weekend.

Rolling into NDSU would be a tough challenge so early in the year but it seems like we don't have a lot of other possibilites. May not be a game the ADs and HCs like, but it would be a great one for the fans. I return trip in '08 to Boone would be nice when the stadium enhancements are finished in Boone.

BigApp
February 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
who's talking about it?

Bison05
February 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
who's talking about it?

One of our local reporters talked to our Ad and this is what he reported in the Bison Media Blog (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/):
"Talked to Gene Taylor about scheduling today, specifically about the Appalachian State rumor that was floated here on the blog. Gene said he has asked App about a game on opening weekend. (Would that be cool or what?) Said reception has been a bit cool but NDSU is willing to pay a couple bucks to make it happen."

appsfan
February 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Not serious here but, how about a home-n-home this season? That would solve two dates for both teams...

Tailbone
February 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
....... Said reception has been a bit cool but NDSU is willing to pay a couple bucks to make it happen."

You have no idea how tempted I am to make inciteful comments on how Appy, like everybody else, must "fear the Bison" (as seems to be the prevailing sentiment among a fanatical segment of NDSU fans).

.......but I won't!:rolleyes:

Bison05
February 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
You have no idea how tempted I am to make inciteful comments on how Appy, like everybody else, must "fear the Bison" (as seems to be the prevailing sentiment among a fanatical segment of NDSU fans).

Why not, you never refrained from saying it before.:rolleyes:
Your hatred for the Bison is well documented, might as well not keep it bottled up.

No_Skill
February 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
App. St. for our "tune up" game....hmmmm. :rolleyes: I would much rather see this game further into the season.

At any rate, I'd be surprised if it materialized.

Grizo406
February 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'd love to see this game.

I think App State would win this one by a large margin. I thought the same thing when we played NDSU, but it didn't happen.

I'd still pick the Mountaineers in this match up.

No_Skill
February 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'd love to see this game.

I think App State would win this one by a large margin. I thought the same thing when we played NDSU, but it didn't happen.

I'd still pick the Mountaineers in this match up.

What do you consider a "large margin"? Two TDs? Just curious.

bisonguy
February 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
App. St. for our "tune up" game....hmmmm. :rolleyes: I would much rather see this game further into the season.

At any rate, I'd be surprised if it materialized.

Tune-up???

Appalachian State for the season opener is like starting your car up and redlining it right away!!!

Bison05
February 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Tune-up???

Appalachian State for the season opener is like starting your car up and redlining it right away!!!

I think he meant that the first game is usually considered the tune-up game. And he was questioning whether we really want to play the defending champs on that day instead of a weaker opponent.

ASU Kep
February 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM
We have a recent history at least on offense of starting a little shaky to open the season. Personally, I'd be much more comfortable playing a team like NDSU later in the season and conversely if I was NDSU, I'd want a shot at us early.

CopperCat
February 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Realistically, does this game happen at all? Just a question, nothing more.

Bison05
February 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Realistically, does this game happen at all? Just a question, nothing more.

Sounds like our AD is trying to get it to happened, but who knows.

WYOBISONMAN
February 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
That one would get me on an airplane out of Wyoming and heading to Fargo.......no doubt about it!

No_Skill
February 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I think he meant that the first game is usually considered the tune-up game. And he was questioning whether we really want to play the defending champs on that day instead of a weaker opponent.

Bingo.

Please turn on your sarcasm radars. I like to lay it on thick sometimes.

RabidRabbit
February 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
That one would get me on an airplane out of Wyoming and heading to Fargo.......no doubt about it!

I'd maybe even make that game. :bow: :bow: The two undefeated vs FCS teams from the year before :eek: :eek:

This has the makings of better than the prior two National champs match-up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really hope that NDSU/App St. can work out a home-n-home. This would be a marque game!

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'd maybe even make that game. :bow: :bow: The two undefeated vs FCS teams from the year before :eek: :eek:

This has the makings of better than the prior two National champs match-up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really hope that NDSU/App St. can work out a home-n-home. This would be a marque game!

and just imagine if NDSU won and then App. St. went on to win their third title! controversy!!:eek: :eek:

RabidRabbit
February 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
and just imagine if NDSU won and then App. St. went on to win their third title! controversy!!:eek: :eek:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep, almost as bad as projecting NDSU #1 in the PreSeason poll! :smiley_wi

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

ncguitarplyr
February 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
playing at ndsu at their home opener? im not a big fan of that idea...thats gotta be a crazy hard place to play...im more of a lets play an easy team first work out our kinks then go play ndsu mindset

lizrdgizrd
February 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
It'd be great to see App and NDSU play, but I don't know if the financial arrangements would be satisfactory for either team. :(

james_lawfirm
February 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I think this game is a great idea. If it was on Labor Day weekend, so much the better. The sensible setup would be at NDSU this year & at ASU next year. Although, the home & home in the same year is an intriguing idea, but I don't think that will fly.

I would make every effort to travel. At the Wyoming game a few years ago, there were more ASU fans than I expected. One would think that even more would travel out west in '07. Surely one day ASU will win a game west of the Mississippi. It might as well be the next game.

It seems to me that the deciding factor will be costs of the traveling team. If it makes sense, then let's go.

No matter what outcome, this game would be a great "tune-up" for the season. Even if ASU loses, which I doubt would happen, then there is still time to fix what's broken and make the playoffs. I would hope that NDSU decision-makers feel the same.

NE MT GRIZZ
February 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm]I would make every effort to travel. At the Wyoming game a few years ago, there were more ASU fans than I expected. One would think that even more would travel out west in '07. Surely one day ASU will win a game west of the Mississippi. It might as well be the next game.

How did App turn things around so fast. That WY game wasn't close, then you reel off 2 NC's the next two years. I didn't know much about App in 04, fill me in.

spelunker64
February 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
this reminds of the earlier words from our AD who said that both schools were interested in playing but costs were just too high. The locations of missoula and boone are not "cost efficient" and i believe fargo is not the most "convenient" place to travel to. I dont know how the budget for either school is but if the game were to happen it would be great for all of FCS.

What's not convenient about playing in a dome 1 mile away from an airport serviced by major carriers?

bisonguy
February 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Bingo.

Please turn on your sarcasm radars. I like to lay it on thick sometimes.

Mine was on and picked up your sarcasm no problem.

Guess you guys didn't see the grin on my face while I posted. :D

ASU Kep
February 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm]I would make every effort to travel. At the Wyoming game a few years ago, there were more ASU fans than I expected. One would think that even more would travel out west in '07. Surely one day ASU will win a game west of the Mississippi. It might as well be the next game.

How did App turn things around so fast. That WY game wasn't close, then you reel off 2 NC's the next two years. I didn't know much about App in 04, fill me in.

ASU '04 in a nutshell:

- We lose every single game played away from KBS (win all home games). Season record of 6-5, down from 7-4 the year before and 8 wins the year before that.

- Richie Williams breaks out, at one point completing 28 consecutive passes to upset Furman (at KBS, of course). Nobody ever again claims we'd be better off with Elsner at QB.

- Our best WR perhaps ever, DaVon Folkes, catches for like a billion yards. Smart teams focused on him, because Richie would often just heave it up to him.

- No running game whatsoever, really...Alan Atwater sucked. Kevin Richardson played sparingly, but not at the level he plays now.

- We lose to WCU because we tried to get DaVon more yards to break the all-time ASU record.

- Our secondary was really young, and at times really bad. Our D-line was as always pretty solid however. Those same crappy freshmen and sophomores playing secondary in '04 becauase of injury, etc. would take the experience and be great in '05 and '06 as juniors and seniors.

- Despite what most ASU fans will tell you, we were not lovin' Coach Moore at the end of '04. I won't say most, but a LOT of fans wanted him gone...by many accounts he had one more year to get us a National Championship before getting canned...

- Basically, we were young at many positions and the attitude wasn't like it is now. We also had a number of behavioral problems off the field...

NDSUFREAK
February 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
playing at ndsu at their home opener? im not a big fan of that idea...thats gotta be a crazy hard place to play...im more of a lets play an easy team first work out our kinks then go play ndsu mindset

That is where September 15th comes into play.

X-Factor
February 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
It'd be great to see App and NDSU play, but I don't know if the financial arrangements would be satisfactory for either team. :(

by the sound of what Gene Taylor said, NDSU is willing to kick in a few bones. The game would most likely draw 19-20k so my guess is there would be some bargaining room.

boonedocks
February 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I would really like to see this game. It would definately be tough sledding at the fargo dome. If it happens i would do all i could to try and make the trip. I hope it happens, if not this year then sometime in the near future.

SoCon48
February 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Oh, then why not get your butts to Boone for a game?

SoCon48
February 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM
What's not convenient about playing in a dome 1 mile away from an airport serviced by major carriers?

Money wise, NDSU would probably pay App about what it would cost to fly the team out there.

SoCon48
February 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=NE MT GRIZZ]

ASU '04 in a nutshell:

- We lose every single game played away from KBS (win all home games). Season record of 6-5, down from 7-4 the year before and 8 wins the year before that.

- Richie Williams breaks out, at one point completing 28 consecutive passes to upset Furman (at KBS, of course). Nobody ever again claims we'd be better off with Elsner at QB.

- Our best WR perhaps ever, DaVon Folkes, catches for like a billion yards. Smart teams focused on him, because Richie would often just heave it up to him.

- No running game whatsoever, really...Alan Atwater sucked. Kevin Richardson played sparingly, but not at the level he plays now.

- We lose to WCU because we tried to get DaVon more yards to break the all-time ASU record.

- Our secondary was really young, and at times really bad. Our D-line was as always pretty solid however. Those same crappy freshmen and sophomores playing secondary in '04 becauase of injury, etc. would take the experience and be great in '05 and '06 as juniors and seniors.

- Despite what most ASU fans will tell you, we were not lovin' Coach Moore at the end of '04. I won't say most, but a LOT of fans wanted him gone...by many accounts he had one more year to get us a National Championship before getting canned...

- Basically, we were young at many positions and the attitude wasn't like it is now. We also had a number of behavioral problems off the field...

Despite what most ASU fans will tell you, we were not lovin' Coach Moore at the end of '04. I won't say most, but a LOT of fans wanted him gone...by many accounts he had one more year to get us a National Championship before getting canned

Just goes to show that every school has its idiot fans.

Gil Dobie
February 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
NDSU had a history of inviting top teams in it's division to the Fargodome for home openers. In the DII days it was Northern Michigan in the 1980s, Indiana PA, Pitt St, Grand Valley St, Cal-Poly, Pittsburg St, Delta St. Nice for that tradition to continue in NDSU's FCS history.

james_lawfirm
February 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM

NE MT GRIZZ:

ASU KEP has a great post on this thread responding to your question. To his comments I would add:
1) In '04 we were beginning to make the transition from smash-mouth, I-Formation football, to our current no-huddle, shot-gun snap approach. To be honest, the first time I saw this offense, I thought, WHAT were they thinking when they drew that up?
2) In the summer, before the '04 season, Coach Moore "fired" about 8 DL & OL team members. I heard these were due to infractions due to steroids. Some of these guys were starters, so our OL & DL lines had a really tough time in '04. The team just could not replace all these guys that fast. This, more than anything else, I think explains the home wins & visitor losses (6-5 season, won all home games, lost all away.) But, in hindsight, this also explains the championship seasons in '05 & '06. Nothing gets a team's attention about how much the Coach values the rules more than removing a starter (or 8 of them) from the team due to violating the rules. This is spelled CHARACTER, and I don't care what anyone else says, it MATTERS. Plus, the fact that some guys got experience in '04 that otherwise would not have.
3) No other way to say it - things just fell together for ASU in '05 & '06. The '04 season was just a stepping stone.

SU Jag
February 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Great match-up! It will be a hard fought one also:nod: How much does NDSU have comming back?

Go Bison
February 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Great match-up! It will be a hard fought one also:nod: How much does NDSU have comming back?

NDSU loses a WR, RB, and two OL. On defense the loses are at DL, DE and a safety that will probably be drafted in the NFL.

The QB is fantastic and the LBs are very solid.

WYOBISONMAN
February 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I think filling the RB spot will be the biggest challenge.

BISON Thunder
February 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM

My understanding is App State's AD is having a difficult time justifying the risk of (losing) coming to Fargo. Although I understand his position, I don't know if NDSU (and I am a Bison fan) quite yet has the quickness to pose a serious threat to App State. That being said, it would be one heck of a college football atmosphere!

Peems
February 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM

its already been addressed by someone else, but what i meant by convenient is it is pretty far and expensive to travel to places out west like montana, and/or north dakota.

MplsBison
February 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM
We'll pay for a charter plane.

Peems
February 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM

then it sounds like money is not an issue, just being scaredy pants on the part of ASU:smiley_wi

lizrdgizrd
February 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
You the Bison fans will pay or you NDSU athletic department will pay? I'd think if you guys ponied up enough we'd go there.

X-Factor
February 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
You the Bison fans will pay or you NDSU athletic department will pay? I'd think if you guys ponied up enough we'd go there.

heck, we are already paying for a charter for SHSU this year why not Appalachian St? But I just don't understand why a straight up home-home isn't fair?!

X-Factor
February 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I think filling the RB spot will be the biggest challenge.

IMO S. Safety is the area of concern. RB is loaded.
Craig Dahl was a huge part of the defense in '06.

lizrdgizrd
February 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM
heck, we are already paying for a charter for SHSU this year why not Appalachian St? But I just don't understand why a straight up home-home isn't fair?!
I like the idea of a home and home but I don't know if we want to spend the $$$. Of course I'm just a random fan so what do I know. :p

JBB
February 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM
As far as I know SHSU is not a home/home so paying the flight is OK. Just like we used to do in D2: guarantee and flight.

Both schools should draw well with a game like this. Maybe the schools could combine the 2 gates pay travel costs for both teams and split the rest? I think NDSU sells this game out.

Richmond Mountaineer
February 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Why would ASU be scared? We've gone to far more intimidating environments than Fargo? Have you ever been to Ga Southern or Furman in the middle of a 3 way tie for first or a conference championship on the line. Believe it or not Western Carolina has been intimidating in the past. Come on! We all know it's a money issue just like Montana was. If it doesn't happen in September hopefully we'll see you later in the year.

Peems
February 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Why would ASU be scared? We've gone to far more intimidating environments than Fargo? Have you ever been to Ga Southern or Furman in the middle of a 3 way tie for first or a conference championship on the line. Believe it or not Western Carolina has been intimidating in the past. Come on! We all know it's a money issue just like Montana was. If it doesn't happen in September hopefully we'll see you later in the year.

notice the wink at the end of my post, i was being sarcastic.:)

james_lawfirm
February 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
My understanding is App State's AD is having a difficult time justifying the risk of (losing) coming to Fargo. Although I understand his position, I don't know if NDSU (and I am a Bison fan) quite yet has the quickness to pose a serious threat to App State. That being said, it would be one heck of a college football atmosphere!

Now, now. App's AD may have a hard time justifying the expense traveling to NDSU, but he won't be too worried about losing. Not trying to sound too cocky, but realistically, he will be thinking that ASU is the "team to beat" in '07. I would imagine that he would consider playing just about anyone that is willing to play us.

I for one would make every effort to travel up there, if there is a game.

ball21
February 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
then it sounds like money is not an issue, just being scaredy pants on the part of ASU:smiley_wi

How about this, the ASU Alumni pays for the charter to Fargo!!
We get paid from your AD to come up there and give you a Southern butt whoopping like you never had before and they leave town .

If you think ASU is scared to come to your place and play your team, your sadly mistaken... How many National Championship does your team have? Let me help you out.... NONE.....

I think it will be a tough game, but just think about your team will have to make to "The Rock", where we are UNDEAFTED!!

Talk is cheap, tell your AD to make it happen them..We will be there!

spelunker64
February 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
How about this, the ASU Alumni pays for the charter to Fargo!!
We get paid from your AD to come up there and give you a Southern butt whoopping like you never had before and they leave town .

If you think ASU is scared to come to your place and play your team, your sadly mistaken... How many National Championship does your team have? Let me help you out.... NONE.....

I think it will be a tough game, but just think about your team will have to make to "The Rock", where we are UNDEAFTED!!

Talk is cheap, tell your AD to make it happen them..We will be there!

Championships? No FCS/I-AA you're correct, but 9 in D2 when it was a very-competitive divison.

http://www.bisonville.com/champs.html

ball21
February 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Championships? No FCS/I-AA you're correct, but 9 in D2 when it was a very-competitive divison.

http://www.bisonville.com/champs.html

Wow !!

Division 2 Enough said!!

This league is like Pop Warner then !

lizrdgizrd
February 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Wow !!

Division 2 Enough said!!

Take it to the smack forum if you wanna smack. This is for discussion.

ball21
February 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Take it to the smack forum if you wanna smack. This is for discussion.

Thanks for the advice Mountaineer!

NE MT GRIZZ
February 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=NE MT GRIZZ]

NE MT GRIZZ:

ASU KEP has a great post on this thread responding to your question. To his comments I would add:
1) In '04 we were beginning to make the transition from smash-mouth, I-Formation football, to our current no-huddle, shot-gun snap approach. To be honest, the first time I saw this offense, I thought, WHAT were they thinking when they drew that up?
2) In the summer, before the '04 season, Coach Moore "fired" about 8 DL & OL team members. I heard these were due to infractions due to steroids. Some of these guys were starters, so our OL & DL lines had a really tough time in '04. The team just could not replace all these guys that fast. This, more than anything else, I think explains the home wins & visitor losses (6-5 season, won all home games, lost all away.) But, in hindsight, this also explains the championship seasons in '05 & '06. Nothing gets a team's attention about how much the Coach values the rules more than removing a starter (or 8 of them) from the team due to violating the rules. This is spelled CHARACTER, and I don't care what anyone else says, it MATTERS. Plus, the fact that some guys got experience in '04 that otherwise would not have.
3) No other way to say it - things just fell together for ASU in '05 & '06. The '04 season was just a stepping stone.

THanks for the info.
I give your coach props; it would be tough to cut your own throat and hope for a turnaround. It seemed to work out pretty good!

Mr. C
February 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=NE MT GRIZZ]

NE MT GRIZZ:

Time to correct a few outrageous statements. Coach Moore never kicked "about 8 DL & OL team members" off the team. There was ONE starting offensive lineman, Michael Porter, who was arrested for steroid possession and was kicked off the team before the 2004 season. There was another player, starting CB Jonathan Lyles, who was dismissed for another violation of team policies, but it had nothing to do with steroids. DE Jason Hunter missed the season because of academic problems. There were several other players, most of them who had never established themselves, who also left the team with academic problems. I don't no where this crazy story came from, but it is TOTALLY wrong. It isn't smart to spread rumors about steroid use around, particularly when it is erroneous.

Bison77
February 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I last I heard on Thursday was we were trying to get a home and home but ASU wanted some money to boot. We'll see! :hurray:

BISON Thunder
February 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Now, now. App's AD may have a hard time justifying the expense traveling to NDSU, but he won't be too worried about losing. Not trying to sound too cocky, but realistically, he will be thinking that ASU is the "team to beat" in '07. I would imagine that he would consider playing just about anyone that is willing to play us.

I for one would make every effort to travel up there, if there is a game.

I'm not trying to start anything...but was merely relaying my lunch discussion with someone who would know. Sorry if I offended. I am sure fans from both sides would love to see this match up.

Gil Dobie
February 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Wow !!

Division 2 Enough said!!

5 were DII, and 3 were College Division which was similar schools to I-AA or FCS.

Saint3333
February 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Appalachian is the two time defending national champs, why would they travel TO a transitional FCS team???

I'm fine with a home and home, but shouldn't NDSU come to Boone first...

NDSUFREAK
February 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Appalachian is the two time defending national champs, why would they travel TO a transitional FCS team???

because that transitional team was ranked #5 at the end of the year and was the only other team to go undefeated in FCS......xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
February 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM
because that transitional team was ranked #5 at the end of the year and was the only other team to go undefeated in FCS......xcoffeex

get the facts straight

Sat, Sep 2 at North Carolina State L 10-23--
Sat, Sep 9 James Madison W 21-10--
Sat, Sep 16 Mars Hill W 41-0--
Sat, Sep 23 at Gardner-Webb W 41-6--
Sat, Sep 30 Elon W 45-21--
Sat, Oct 7 at Chattanooga W 56-21--
Sat, Oct 14 Wofford W 14-7--
Sat, Oct 21 at Georgia Southern W 27-20--
Sat, Oct 28 Furman W 40-7--
Sat, Nov 4 Citadel W 42-13--
Sat, Nov 11 at Western Carolina W 31-9--
Sat, Nov 25 Coastal Carolina W 45-28--
Sat, Dec 2 Montana State W 38-17--
Sat, Dec 9 Youngstown State W 49-24--
Fri, Dec 15 at Massachusetts W 28-17

ASU Kep
February 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I think he meant we were undefeated by FCS opponents. NDSU also lost a game last season to Minnesota but beat all of their FCS competitors.

February 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM
App will love the fabulous Fargodome

slostang
February 10th, 2007, 01:51 AM
App will love the fabulous Fargodome
I think they would love Alex G. Spanos Stadium formerly known as Mustang Stadium. I know Cal Poly would love to visit the "Rock" and I am not talking about the one in San Francisco Bay.:thumbsup:

AppMan
February 10th, 2007, 02:46 AM
[QUOTE=NE MT GRIZZ]

ASU '04 in a nutshell:

I'd say that is a pretty fair observation. By the end of 2004 the program was in a free fall. In 2000 ASU was 10-4 and played in the 1-aa semi-finals. Then in 2001 we finished 9-4 and lost in the 2nd round, 2002 8-4 - lost in the first round, 3003 7-4 - did not make the playoffs, and 2004 6-5 - lost every game on the road. There were a lot of questionable players with character issues on that '04 team. On the field tons of Personal Foul penalities, off the field problems in the classroom, and with law enforcement in Boone. A few players, not all seniors, stepped up before the 2005 season and had a meeting with the coaching staff. They demanded more discipline from the staff and more accountability from the team. It seemed to gel the entire program and in hindsight that one meeting may have changed the course of ASU football and saved Jerry Moore's job.

AppMan
February 10th, 2007, 03:08 AM
[QUOTE=ASU Kep]

Despite what most ASU fans will tell you, we were not lovin' Coach Moore at the end of '04. I won't say most, but a LOT of fans wanted him gone...by many accounts he had one more year to get us a National Championship before getting canned

Just goes to show that every school has its idiot fans.

Not in the least. Just fans demanding accountability. Several years prior to '04 we lost a lot of recruits to academics and breaking school and team rules. His staff had not done a good job in recruiting. They had gotten lazy and were living off a reputation. I've got lots of friends who are HS coaches in NC & SC and very few of them had good things to say about ASU's assistant coaches. As a member of the athletic scholarship club I was mad that my hard earned dollars were being thrown away on recruits with poor character and little ability. These kids were coming to ASU and having a party for two years off of my and a lot of others money before being kicked out of school. We had a do nothing AD and Chancellor who could care less and the whole program seemed to be headed for the toilet. Enter Ken Peacock as new Chancellor and Charlie Cobb as AD. They made a lot of changes for the better and gave JM what he needed to win, but they also made it crystal clear the players had to produce not only the field, but in the classroom and be good citizens and representatives of ASU. JM and staff went into the '05 season in the last year of a contract and without the security of an extension in hand. The Chancellor refused to discuss an extension until the season was over. Evidently that lit a fire under JM. Sometimes a little added pressure is good for you. It makes you work harder than you normally might and accomplish things you didn't think you could. It obviously worked in this situation.

AppMan
February 10th, 2007, 03:15 AM

I hate LSU dropped us this year, because we now have the possibility of having to play the Bison in place of the Tigers. Bet our players are in bed right now worrying themselves sick over the possibility of having to go to NDSU.

bisonguy
February 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Small update from NDSU's AD Gene Taylor-http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/156005

.......Taylor said he’s still talking with two-time defending Football Championship Subdivision winner Appalachian State about a season-opening game at the dome.

“They haven’t told me no,” he said.

Go_Herd
February 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
For the Bison fans:

How do we do a home-home with App. State.

We already have 5 games scheduled for 2008, If we get into the Gateway conference 2 of those games will be conference games leaving three games for our OOC. Do we buy out of the contracts with (SUU, Cal Poly, UC Davis) to go to App. State?

In 2009 we play Iowa State, and SHSU(if the contract is signed) so if we sign a home-home contract with App. State and put the return on 2009 that makes our OOC all away games.

Could this be a one and done contract?

Granted this is all if we get into the Gateway on Feb 19th. We should be able to give App. State plenty of money/incentives to come out here. The fabulous Fargodome will be a sellout 19,xxx-20,xxx standing room only. Get it done Gene.

UNHWildCats
February 10th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Now that Im totally awake let me point out that he said "only other"

I really need to double read stuff before i respond lol

FargoBison
February 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
For the Bison fans:

How do we do a home-home with App. State.

We already have 5 games scheduled for 2008, If we get into the Gateway conference 2 of those games will be conference games leaving three games for our OOC. Do we buy out of the contracts with (SUU, Cal Poly, UC Davis) to go to App. State?

In 2009 we play Iowa State, and SHSU(if the contract is signed) so if we sign a home-home contract with App. State and put the return on 2009 that makes our OOC all away games.

Could this be a one and done contract?

Granted this is all if we get into the Gateway on Feb 19th. We should be able to give App. State plenty of money/incentives to come out here. The fabulous Fargodome will be a sellout 19,xxx-20,xxx standing room only. Get it done Gene.

We don't have a contract to play either SUU, UCD or Cal Poly in 2008 so we won't have to buy out anybody to play App St. Those three teams would definately get priority scheduling if we get into the Gateway but we aren't going to buy anybody out in order to play them.

Go_Herd
February 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM
We don't have a contract to play either SUU, UCD or Cal Poly in 2008 so we won't have to buy out anybody to play App St. Those three teams would definately get priority scheduling if we get into the Gateway but we aren't going to buy anybody out in order to play them.

Yeah I guess thats right, I saw them on the tentative schedule on GoBison.com but forgot thats becasue of our agreement with the Great West and conference play.

BisBison
February 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I think part of the reason is we NEED a game this year and ya'll are renovating your stadium now aren't you? That way our return visit will be at an expanded stadium, which should equal more $$ for you.

NDSUFREAK
February 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Now that Im totally awake let me point out that he said "only other"

I really need to double read stuff before i respond lol

Ha, yes. I should have stated the only other team to be undefeated in FCS play. or whatever.

james_lawfirm
February 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=ASU Kep]

There were a lot of questionable players with character issues on that '04 team. On the field tons of Personal Foul penalities, off the field problems in the classroom, and with law enforcement in Boone. A few players, not all seniors, stepped up before the 2005 season and had a meeting with the coaching staff. They demanded more discipline from the staff and more accountability from the team. It seemed to gel the entire program and in hindsight that one meeting may have changed the course of ASU football and saved Jerry Moore's job.

I think many of the "questionable" players were thrown off the team during the summer prior to the '04 season. This left the team with many inexperienced players filling important roles. This explains many of the extra personal foul penalties. I don't know of classroom problems or law enforcement problems (other than those "questionable" players dispensed with before the season began.)

I am sure that the players and coaches learned a great deal from the entire experience. One lesson learned was that breaking team rules will get you thrown off the team regardless of whether you are a starter.

As for whether Coach Moore's job was in jeopardy, I have heard some alumni state they thought his job was in jeopardy in '04. But, I never heard anyone in a position of authority or ability to make such a decision say so. Speaking personally, and recognizing that others' may differ, I never lost faith in Coach Moore. The '04 season was disappointing, but it served as a stepping stone for building a better program. As we were going through it, I was proud of the entire coaching staff for doing the right thing, especially regarding those "questionable" players. That, more than anything else, set the team on track for championship seasons.

BigApp
February 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
How can NDSU afford a game with us, yet Montana's AD says the Griz can't?...hmmmm http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/what.gif

NDSUFREAK
February 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
How can NDSU afford a game with us, yet Montana's AD says the Griz can't?...hmmmm http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/what.gif

because they have a $15 billion deficit and need teams that will go to wa griz just to play....;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No_Skill
February 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I sooooooo want to see this game happen, no matter what the outcome. :thumbsup:

BigApp
February 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
because they have a $15 billion deficit and need teams that will go to wa griz just to play....;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SoCon48
February 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=I-AA 2006]

Not in the least. Just fans demanding accountability. Several years prior to '04 we lost a lot of recruits to academics and breaking school and team rules. His staff had not done a good job in recruiting. They had gotten lazy and were living off a reputation. I've got lots of friends who are HS coaches in NC & SC and very few of them had good things to say about ASU's assistant coaches. As a member of the athletic scholarship club I was mad that my hard earned dollars were being thrown away on recruits with poor character and little ability. These kids were coming to ASU and having a party for two years off of my and a lot of others money before being kicked out of school. We had a do nothing AD and Chancellor who could care less and the whole program seemed to be headed for the toilet. Enter Ken Peacock as new Chancellor and Charlie Cobb as AD. They made a lot of changes for the better and gave JM what he needed to win, but they also made it crystal clear the players had to produce not only the field, but in the classroom and be good citizens and representatives of ASU. JM and staff went into the '05 season in the last year of a contract and without the security of an extension in hand. The Chancellor refused to discuss an extension until the season was over. Evidently that lit a fire under JM. Sometimes a little added pressure is good for you. It makes you work harder than you normally might and accomplish things you didn't think you could. It obviously worked in this situation.

I don't buy the stuff about lighting a fire under Jerry any more than every coach at ASU being told they were starting from scratch. the first to be called in should have been the basketball coach. We would have looked like pure idiots if Jerry had been canned and the basketball coach left on staff.
Too, if Cobb related this story to anyone outside the admin, he should be fired on the spot before he causes ASU to get sued for violating about every HR policy in the book.

Bison77
February 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
What are the open dates on your schedule so far? (App State)

putter
February 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Funny how everyone forgets that we have traveled to Maine, Hofstra, Sam Houston St since 2004. It is only since the deficit that things have changed. I hope, after 2007, when the deficit will be paid off that things will be back to normal. But then again, you won't have anything to whine about....:o ;)

lizrdgizrd
February 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM
What are the open dates on your schedule so far? (App State)
9/1,8,15,29
10/6,13

But one of 9/8, 9/15, or 9/29 is @Elon.

The rest we don't know.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Must be 9/15 because we had that date open too but we got Sam Houston there.

8 and 29 we had games already.

AppSteeler
February 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Heard from a very reliable Gardner Webb source, our home game with them will be 9/15, time to be announced.