PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga in the Top 25?

Milktruck74
September 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM
At the beginning of the season I said the Mocs were about a #20...at 1-3, I still think that is where they finish the season. They have lost to #5,#20 and an FCS top 25. This week they have #24 WCU, followed by a decent (but bad record) Furman and an always scrappy Mercer team. They the Gauntlet hits....#11, #26, #8.... So how many more wins (maybe even in a row) does UTC need to win to climb back into the top 25?

And yes, I realize they have not played well.....but this week they get their starting QB back, and next week their AA LB.....

Cocky
September 26th, 2017, 06:23 PM
View my post about the top 3 in each conference for my thoughts.

BisonTru
September 26th, 2017, 07:10 PM
TBH, probably 3. Chatty needs to go 6-1 down the stretch to secure a playoff spot. 5-2 would get you in the conversation but with only a 6-5 record might be on the outside looking in.

JSUSoutherner
September 26th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I have you guys at 25 in my poll.

Win or you won't be.

DirtyDukes
September 26th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I think I had you at 25 too

Mocs123
September 26th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I have you guys at 25 in my poll.

Win or you won't be.

That is fair enough

citdog
September 26th, 2017, 08:35 PM
At the beginning of the season I said the Mocs were about a #20...at 1-3, I still think that is where they finish the season. They have lost to #5,#20 and an FCS top 25. This week they have #24 WCU, followed by a decent (but bad record) Furman and an always scrappy Mercer team. They the Gauntlet hits....#11, #26, #8.... So how many more wins (maybe even in a row) does UTC need to win to climb back into the top 25?

And yes, I realize they have not played well.....but this week they get their starting QB back, and next week their AA LB.....

I thought it was 6 games for the LB with "cloudy piss"...

cx500d
September 26th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Nunya in my poll

Milktruck74
September 27th, 2017, 06:34 AM
I thought it was 6 games for the LB with "cloudy piss"...

There is no hard answer coming out about the appeal, but the original suspension was 5.5 games....that means he is back for Furman.....and 3, 2, 1......

CID1990
September 27th, 2017, 06:45 AM
There is no hard answer coming out about the appeal, but the original suspension was 5.5 games....that means he is back for Furman.....and 3, 2, 1......

This is the year when UTC may well spoil their way to the playoffs while nobody is looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
September 27th, 2017, 07:54 AM
This is the year when UTC may well spoil their way to the playoffs while nobody is looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it is the Mocs, but somebody will spoil their way into the playoffs from the SoCon this year. I really think we only get 2, maybe 3....but either way, there will be 2 or 3 teams that feel snubbed come November...and they will probably have a right to feel that way. There are currently 7 teams that could be playoff teams in the conference (obviously VMI is 9. ETSU is still young, but isn't that far off). We really need another 2 or 3 weeks to get any idea of how this will all hash out.

walliver
September 27th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Rankings are always somewhat arbitrary. For example, a team that loses its first five games to the top 5 teams by close scores could well be the 6th best team in the nation at 0-5, but isn't going to get any votes.
At 1-3, it is hard to rank Chatty in a traditional poll. They won't play a ranked team for another month (and then play 3 in a row).

Chatty is probably much better than its record, but a solitary win over a bad VMI team that is bad by VMI standards doesn't move the meter much for me.

CockyGeek
October 1st, 2017, 08:45 AM
Never again after that beatdown. Yikes. Get better soon.

Milktruck74
October 1st, 2017, 09:39 AM
Rankings are always somewhat arbitrary. For example, a team that loses its first five games to the top 5 teams by close scores could well be the 6th best team in the nation at 0-5, but isn't going to get any votes.
At 1-3, it is hard to rank Chatty in a traditional poll. They won't play a ranked team for another month (and then play 3 in a row).

Chatty is probably much better than its record, but a solitary win over a bad VMI team that is bad by VMI standards doesn't move the meter much for me.

Wrong. We Suck!!!! Until we find 5 guys that want block....or even TRY to slow down a rush, we won't win another game.

NorthChuckSouth
October 1st, 2017, 09:25 PM
Just saw the hit the Chatt QB took Saturday where his helmet flew off.. any word on him?

https://twitter.com/trackisreal/status/914526494021517312

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2017, 10:05 PM
Just saw the hit the Chatt QB took Saturday where his helmet flew off.. any word on him?

Had they had the officiating crew there that was Fargo yesterday the WCU guy would've been ejected for targeting.

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2017, 10:09 PM
Had they had the officiating crew there that was Fargo yesterday the WCU guy would've been ejected for targeting.

I’m actually surprised that defender wasn’t ejected. I’ve seen far lessor plays result in targeting just this season alone.

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2017, 10:13 PM
I’m actually surprised that defender wasn’t ejected. I’ve seen far lessor plays result in targeting just this season alone.
Like this one:

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/914503633617719296

Scrappy94
October 2nd, 2017, 02:14 AM

Targeting - Forcible contact against an opponent with the helmet crown.

How the hell is targeting not called on this!? That fact that nothing was called on this is absolute BS! Also, that fact that after such blatant targeting, the WCU sideline was erupting in a celebration while our QB was laying on the ground in pain with trainers surrounding him and eventually sent to the hospital while the Mocs sideline was taking a knee was just classless. These type of hits should not be tolerated. Coaches should also not tolerate that type of behavior after such a potentially dangerous hit. I never thought of WCU as having a lack of sportsmanship...until now.

Smitty
October 2nd, 2017, 05:02 AM

How the hell is targeting not called on this!? That fact that nothing was called on this is absolute BS! Also, that fact that after such blatant targeting, the WCU sideline was erupting in a celebration while our QB was laying on the ground in pain with trainers surrounding him and eventually sent to the hospital while the Mocs sideline was taking a knee was just classless. These type of hits should not be tolerated. Coaches should also not tolerate that type of behavior after such a potentially dangerous hit. I never thought of WCU as classless...until now.

Oh bugger off with the classless statement...

Out of the thousands of football games I've watched, I have yet seen a team knowingly celebrate a football players injury. Almost every team team in the nation takes a knee for the injured player, especially if it requires additional time. If anything the Western players were celebrating on their way back to the sideline and didn't know that the player was down.

As for the hit, I don't know why they didn't call targeting as I've seen lesser hits get called, but as usual that is something you will need to take up with the refs.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 05:14 AM
I know it is a matter of interpretation, but I do not necessarily see targeting. It is a vicious hit, no question. The defender put his facemask in the chest of the QB, does not appear to have launched himself, and does not appear to lead with the crown of his helmet.

Unfortunately, the play had all the ingredients for a nasty hit: unblocked defender at full speed hitting a player that doesn't see him and can't brace for impact.

I can't speak to "classlessness" other than to say that it appears the defender immediately whirls around and calls for the trainer. Didn't appear to be showboating, but demonstrating immediate concern for Bennefield.

NorthChuckSouth
October 2nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
I know it is a matter of interpretation, but I do not necessarily see targeting. It is a vicious hit, no question. The defender put his facemask in the chest of the QB, does not appear to have launched himself, and does not appear to lead with the crown of his helmet.

Agreed.. you really can't get more of a textbook tackle coming off the edge full speed.. Don't think it's targeting just like the NDSU hit that was posted. In this case the defender may have dropped his head a little but the hit was not to the head/neck area.. he wrapped up and followed him to the ground which takes out the launching aspect.

I didn't mean for this to cause a targeting discussion breakout but just wanted to check on his well-being.

tenNesseeCat
October 2nd, 2017, 06:28 AM
I'm all for protecting players as much as possible, but there are some pansies out there. Should we just put a red jersey on all QBs and not let anyone hit them at all? That NDSU video is a joke. Play football or knit, take your pick.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Oh bugger off with the classless statement...

Out of the thousands of football games I've watched, I have yet seen a team knowingly celebrate a football players injury. Almost every team team in the nation takes a knee for the injured player, especially if it requires additional time. If anything the Western players were celebrating on their way back to the sideline and didn't know that the player was down.

As for the hit, I don't know why they didn't call targeting as I've seen lesser hits get called, but as usual that is something you will need to take up with the refs.

Are you blind? The player signals to the sideline in probably the most classless way "come here he's hurt"

I think even if this wasn't targeting (which I think it was, looked like the crown, and it doesn't have to be head, the sternum up area suffices; though technically no player with the ball is defenseless, that's probably why there wasn't a flag), there should have been a 15 yard penalty for that.

OhioHen
October 2nd, 2017, 06:35 AM
1-3 = not even on my radar. If the Mocs get to 5-3 they might slide back into my top 40.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
UT-C shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of top 25 other than "Top 25 biggest disappointments of the season.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2017, 07:20 AM
Are you blind? The player signals to the sideline in probably the most classless way "come here he's hurt"

Youngterrier, I'm sorry how is immediately signaling for sideline assistance classless? The defender didn't gloat over his hit and injurying Benningfield. If anything he immediately showed concern for Benningfield.

I think back years ago in the NFL, when Lawrence Taylor sacked Joe Theismann and broke his leg. He immediately jumped up and started signaling in the same way. Was that classless too?

Something that hasn't been brought up is the UTC play-by-play teams reaction. They thought it was a clean hit and one of the guys is a former UTC QB.

tenNesseeCat
October 2nd, 2017, 07:21 AM

I think even if this wasn't targeting (which I think it was, looked like the crown, and it doesn't have to be head, the sternum up area suffices; though technically no player with the ball is defenseless, that's probably why there wasn't a flag), there should have been a 15 yard penalty for that.

So what is a classy way to say, hey this fella is hurt, come help him? Should he have started mouth to mouth? That would probably be classified as targeting too.

Isn't the point of defense to tackle the guy with the ball? He tackled him pretty hard, but I don't think he was trying to hurt him.

So where can a defender hit a QB? Stay away from sternum up, and waist down. That leaves the hips to ribs.

Smitty
October 2nd, 2017, 07:36 AM
Isn't the point of defense to tackle the guy with the ball? He tackled him pretty hard, but I don't think he was trying to hurt him.

So where can a defender hit a QB? Stay away from sternum up, and waist down. That leaves the hips to ribs.

It isn't about where he was hit, but how the helmet was used. If the defender kept his head up slightly we wouldn't even be discussing this currently.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 07:48 AM
It isn't about where he was hit, but how the helmet was used. If the defender kept his head up slightly we wouldn't even be discussing this currently.

Ideally, you'd put the helmet in front. If you watch Bennefield, though, he pump fakes a couple of times before the hit. Turning his shoulders makes him a smaller target.

I'm not saying that is what happened, but if you square your shoulders back to the defender before the hit, what was going to be a helmet-in-front hit can instantly turn into a helmet-in-chest hit in a split second.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2017, 08:33 AM
I was curious about what the targeting rules said so I did a quick search. Here are a couple of good articles on targeting. It's a tricky, difficult to make call at times. Suffice to say it's a fine line between a good hit and targeting.

Busting 4 myths about college football’s targeting rule
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/2/16218244/targeting-rule-ncaa-rulebook-helmet-crown-head-to-head-defenseless

Targeting doesn’t just mean ‘helmet-to-helmet.’ Read the actual NCAA football rule.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/7/12829482/targeting-penalty-rulebook-ncaa-football

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2017, 08:45 AM
So what is a classy way to say, hey this fella is hurt, come help him? Should he have started mouth to mouth? That would probably be classified as targeting too.

Oh, he was trying to hurt him. Most good defenders (and good power RBs) are trying to hurt the opponent when they have a clean opportunity to make contact. I doubt he was trying to injure him but he wanted that QB to be wincing in pain and slow to get up. That's just good hard football mentality as long as it stays within the rules.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 08:46 AM
I've not much an issue with the hit other than the head maybe dropped a bit too much

It was to the chest, on not the head or neck.
He didn't lunge/launch/spear.

It looks/was a violent hit because it was an untouched defender off the edge hitting a QB that had his head turned with no idea he was coming.

Could he have used his shoulder and gone "rugby" style? Sure, I'll grant that. I still don't think that makes the hit dirty.

I also don't see the issue with him signalling for help either.

That hit looked nearly 100000% identical to the hit NDSU put on Eli Dunne last year. Untouched blocker, QB no idea it was coming, driven to the ground, helmet popped off.

It sucks, but I'm not sure I have an issue with it. I didn't when it was my guy, I don't when it's not.

tenNesseeCat
October 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
I doubt he was trying to injure him but he wanted that QB to be wincing in pain and slow to get up. That's just good hard football mentality as long as it stays within the rules.

That's basically what I was getting at.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Video of the hit on Dunne I referenced in coming. Don't remember what part of the game it happened in, so I need to find it but I found a copy of the full game.

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2017, 08:53 AM
That hit looked nearly 100000% identical to the hit NDSU put on Eli Dunne last year. Untouched blocker, QB no idea it was coming, driven to the ground, helmet popped off.

It sucks, but I'm not sure I have an issue with it. I didn't when it was my guy, I don't when it's not.
Yep, very similar. Start at the 1:21 mark of this video for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6o2gsHzUk

Ambrosius put his facemask right on Dunne's back shoulder. He wasn't flagged for it and shouldn't have been (of course I'm biased). I'm guessing Dunne strapped his helmet up a bit a better after that play.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 09:04 AM
There was 2 in that drive. One was flagged and one wasn’t. I’m, honestly not even sold on the flag in the first one.

Dunne took some shots that day. Diagnosed with a concussion post game. Definitely should have been pulled after that series. Could see he wasn’t right after that series. He threw 4 picks after that. His throws were just off. Right reads, bad very uneli like placement of throws.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 09:08 AM
I have both hits clipped and ready to go. Who knew uploading to youtube from your phone took so long

tenNesseeCat
October 2nd, 2017, 09:14 AM
The more times I've watched the clip, I believe Bennefield fumbled the ball.

clenz
October 2nd, 2017, 09:21 AM
Let's see if this worked

This hit was flagged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qymQMlBmons&feature=youtu.be

This one wasn't - nor should it have been - and is nearly identical to the one in question earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624HwtlHEhY&feature=youtu.be

Bison56
October 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM

How the hell is targeting not called on this!? That fact that nothing was called on this is absolute BS! Also, that fact that after such blatant targeting, the WCU sideline was erupting in a celebration while our QB was laying on the ground in pain with trainers surrounding him and eventually sent to the hospital while the Mocs sideline was taking a knee was just classless. These type of hits should not be tolerated. Coaches should also not tolerate that type of behavior after such a potentially dangerous hit. I never thought of WCU as having a lack of sportsmanship...until now.
Nothing wrong with the hit, its football. Now wipe your eyes and enjoy the rest of the season.

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:28 AM
Regardless of what we think 🤔 the league office can pick this play up and decide on their own interpretation. I may be wrong, but it seems like they did this on another incident when it wasn’t called in a game, but again it could’ve been for something other than targeting.

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:31 AM
UT-C shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of top 25 other than "Top 25 biggest disappointments of the season.

The only thing we’re going to get ranked in is the top 5 worst offensive lines in FCS.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
The only thing we’re going to get ranked in is the top 5 worst offensive lines in FCS.

Furman's defense isn't a world beater, but they do lead the SoCon in sacks and have notched 11 the last two games. They may cause a lot of problems for the Moc offensive front.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Furman's defense isn't a world beater, but they do lead the SoCon in sacks and have notched 11 the last two games. They may cause a lot of problems for the Moc offensive front.

To paraphrase another poster on the Mocs forum, their Oline couldn't block 3 nuns in wheelchairs. So, yes, if they keep that up then Furman's Dline will have a field day.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2017, 10:15 AM
To paraphrase another poster on the Mocs forum, their Oline couldn't block 3 nuns in wheelchairs. So, yes, if they keep that up then Furman's Dline will have a field day.

Furman's defensive game plan has been to stop the run and make teams one dimensional. They limited ETSU to 22 yards rushing on 28 carries. Now, ETSU isn't a great rushing team, but even last week against a pretty good Mercer defense they managed 103 yards on 41 carries.

Once they can get teams in long distances, they dial up a lot of pressure. Unlike Furman teams in the past, this group will bring extra men from everywhere. Furman has 17 sacks on the season by 13 different players. Hard to focus on one guy.

My guess is Furman will try to take Bagley out of UTC's plans and see if the OL and the QB can beat them through the air.