PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-25

JALMOND
September 25th, 2017, 09:09 PM
So one week down in the conference season and some things may be coming in to view. I stress "may" as it could all change next week. But, really, when you have your two usual heavyweights going at it right off the bat in EWU and Montana, how much are you going to learn? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Some things are emerging, but still very cloudy.

1. Weber State (1)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 41-3, this week at Montana State---The Wildcats turned away the Aggies in big fashion last weekend. They seem to be one of the top teams so far in the conference. This week is a true test however, and on the road.

2. Montana State (4)---Last week, won at North Dakota 49-21, this week Weber State at home---Some people thought the Bobcats had a chance on the road last week, but people would have not thought it would be as easy as it seemed. Things may get tough this weekend.

3. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week won at Montana 48-41, this week Sacramento State at home---Never say die is what propelled the Eagles to a stunning come from behind, impressive road win last week. Have they turned the corner? They get one of the many conference upstarts this week.

4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 28-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks have been hit hard by injuries but they still have Cookus chucking the football around and a defense that kept their opponent at bay. They get a strong test this weekend.

5. Montana (5)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 48-41, this week at Portland State---Heartbreaking, to say the least for the Grizzlies to go down the way they did. They still tried to salvage the win but came up just short. They head out on the road this weekend, hoping for better results.

6. North Dakota (3)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 49-21, this week at UC-Davis---The injuries keep piling up for the Hawks and they lost their other stud corner during the game last week. Injuries are a part of the game and the Hawks need to find a way to recover.

7. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 54-27, this week at Eastern Washington---The best kept secret in the conference may be the fast and physical Hornet defense that has kept the team within their games so far. Now the offense is beginning to come around.

8. Southern Utah (2)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 54-27, this week bye---The Thunderbirds were looking really impressive in their non-conference games only to run in to a buzzsaw last weekend. They are the odd team out this weekend as they get a bye.

9. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 43-42, this week at Northern Arizona---The Bears seemed to have the game in hand last week, only to watch Idaho State come back and make it a game. Even so, the Bears got the win on a last second field goal.

10. Idaho State (9)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 43-42, this week Cal Poly at home---The Bengals recovered and thought they had the game in had only to watch a last second field goal go through. Dejected, they return home suddenly as a favorite to win this week.

11. UC-Davis (8)---Last week lost at Weber State 41-3, this week North Dakota at home---The euphoria of the win the previous week went quickly away for the Aggies as they were never really in the game. This season now has questions as they face one of the top teams in the conference.

12. Portland State (10)---Last week bye, this week Montana at home---After coming back down to earth the previous week, the Vikings took a week off to right the ship and get refocused. They get the mighty Montana team this weekend at home, well, Hillsboro.

13. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 28-10, this week at Idaho State---What happened to the Mustangs? They get to face basically a MASH unit and got mashed themselves. They can't be this bad, can they? They need a win this weekend.

RECAP: 1-2 edging out front, 3-7 keeping pace, 8-10 right there, 11-13 bringing up the rear.

Daytripper
September 25th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I will say this: The Big Sky is the most mediocre conference in the FCS. No really good teams and no really bad teams. A lot of teams that coulda, woulda, shoulda. It will be interesting to see how the playoff committee views the BSC.

I Bleed Purple
September 25th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Some notes on Weber for those who might wonder:

I asked out loud sort of rhetorically after the 98 TD run, which happened after the 70 TD pass, "When did we become a big play team?" Answer I got from my dad sitting behind me was, "We're not." Weber has had big plays but never were a big play team. Even the Big Sky winning team under McBride was more a jam it down your throat and throw for 15 yards with Higgins. Big play guys are here now, on offense AND on defense. Hill has them playing with discipline, too, making it a dangerous combination for opponents.

I'm unsure how the team adjusts yet. Made some good choices in the Cal game but couldn't execute down the stretch. Big time players will still have success like Davis' receiver Doss. MSU's QB will be an interesting battle. Weber stops inside runs on its base defense, so teams have pretty much abandoned the zone read, something MSU ran a lot with success against UND.

O-Line has been good at times and bad at times. Expect that from a line with 3 freshman.

No out and out "star" on the team, despite big play making players. Got a go to guy, but we're not using him too much yet. We're good, but as of now, I'd be hard pressed to say we're a lock for playoffs. Haven't really been tested with being beat in any one part of the game and reacting to it. If that happens, Weber adjusts, and wins because of the adjustment, then they're contenders to not lose a game the rest of the year.

MTfan4life
September 25th, 2017, 11:16 PM
What a strange weekend in the Big Sky. Idaho State, Montana State, and Sacramento State all ran for over 330 yards this weekend. When's the last time that happened, especially in conference play?

slostang
September 26th, 2017, 01:24 AM
This week I can not make an argument why Cal Poly should not be in the 13th spot. We are not a terrible team, we just are not a good team.

Iridebikes
September 26th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Thanks JALMOND. At this point in time it looks like there is the potential for a lot of good, competitive football games in the Big Sky this year. Before the start of the season we (the EAGS) felt that after the first four games our next challenge would be at UND. Now it appears that SAC State is playing well, Weber is continuing its good play, Montana State could present a stiff challenge and we still have UND out there. Lots of good games coming.

For our friend, Daytripper, from the Southland Conference who chimed in above. This is the way its supposed to be!! You play eleven games and if your conference is good you have eleven games that you are challenged in. No doubt that SHU is an elite team. After that you have Central Arkansas that everyone is trying to hype. For your conferences sake I hope they have improved a lot because they were not that good last year. And that you have seven also rans who are not competitive. In your opinion the BCS is mediocre. Mr. Sagarin says otherwise.

The Pud
September 26th, 2017, 08:26 AM
What a strange weekend in the Big Sky. Idaho State, Montana State, and Sacramento State all ran for over 330 yards this weekend. When's the last time that happened, especially in conference play?

Wow, I did not realize that! Very interesting!! Has Montana State changed their offensive scheme?

wapiti
September 26th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Wow, I did not realize that! Very interesting!! Has Montana State changed their offensive scheme?

It is the 2nd year for a new coaching staff. I would imagine that there has been some changes.

BNATION
September 26th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Agree, having a down year. I think Montana St could start some trouble though...

I will say this: The Big Sky is the most mediocre conference in the FCS. No really good teams and no really bad teams. A lot of teams that coulda, woulda, shoulda. It will be interesting to see how the playoff committee views the BSC.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2017, 11:29 AM
MT St plays very well on defense. QB Morris is slippery, speedy guy, who couldn't throw. Until SDSU 2nd half, now he's even a passer. Glad Jacks played them early. Jalmond picks them 2nd in the Big Sky, taking on #1 Weber St. Should be a great game in Bozeman this Sat.

Catbooster
September 26th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Kind of. The new head coach is defense oriented and they want to go to more of a power game, but they had to make do with the team they had and are playing lots of freshmen, trying to transition. It seems like the transition is starting to come together now.

F'N Hawks
September 26th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Show some respect for the rest of the conference and drop UND to 13, please.

Carry on.....

BadlandsGrizFan
September 26th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Ya UND is so banged up...and its basically all their best players....unless they get healthy they are not going to be contending, theyre just already at that point.

MSU plays sound defense and will run the ball well. Their QB still cant throw and nobody can convince me he can. The balls he was completing against UND were guys so far behind the defense on broken down plays or plays he extended with his feet.

Montana, Idk. Our defense can look good at times with all the talent but many are doubting Semores ability to be the DC. Completely dominated EWU the first half than lost the game in the second. I think Montana can beat anyone and also lose to anyone.

EWU still explosive and dangerous, still working out kinks with new players and coaching staff. They and Montana actually remind me of each other as far as being potent to anyone, but can also easily lay an egg.

Weber looks to be the team with their **** together the best right now.

I have a feeling this year is going to be a giant cluster going into the last week.

cx500d
September 26th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Ya UND is so banged up...

I don’t consider a bad case of hemorrhoids from the repeated ass poundings akin to being banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
September 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I don’t consider a bad case of hemorrhoids from the repeated ass poundings akin to being banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen up, this an expert on the subject speaking...^^^^^

70MilesFromCanada
September 26th, 2017, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=cx500d;2535597]I don’t consider a bad case of hemorrhoids from the repeated ass poundings akin to being banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hemorrhoids and football. Well some people on this board have a bad case of oral hemorrhoids from all the crap they sling.

Utgrizfan
September 26th, 2017, 08:27 PM

Funny coming from a fan of a team coming from the Southland Conference, pretty sure having a slew of competitive teams is better then only having maybe 1 good one.

Weber vs MSU this week is going to be interesting to watch, hoping that our D gets their heads on straight and rebounds well but I feel the issue may lie with the current D Coordinator as well.

cx500d
September 26th, 2017, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=cx500d;2535597]I don’t consider a bad case of hemorrhoids from the repeated ass poundings akin to being banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hemorrhoids and football. Well some people on this board have a bad case of oral hemorrhoids from all the crap they sling.

Weak sauce...FnHawk had a better comeback

wapiti
September 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Problem with putting MSU at number 2 is that UND is decimated by injuries. So that one win by MSU should not be too surprising.
Not sure how a 1-2 team could be number 2 in the BSC.

So one week down in the conference season and some things may be coming in to view. I stress "may" as it could all change next week. But, really, when you have your two usual heavyweights going at it right off the bat in EWU and Montana, how much are you going to learn? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Some things are emerging, but still very cloudy.

1. Weber State (1)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 41-3, this week at Montana State---The Wildcats turned away the Aggies in big fashion last weekend. They seem to be one of the top teams so far in the conference. This week is a true test however, and on the road.

2. Montana State (4)---Last week, won at North Dakota 49-21, this week Weber State at home---Some people thought the Bobcats had a chance on the road last week, but people would have not thought it would be as easy as it seemed. Things may get tough this weekend.

3. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week won at Montana 48-41, this week Sacramento State at home---Never say die is what propelled the Eagles to a stunning come from behind, impressive road win last week. Have they turned the corner? They get one of the many conference upstarts this week.

4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 28-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks have been hit hard by injuries but they still have Cookus chucking the football around and a defense that kept their opponent at bay. They get a strong test this weekend.

5. Montana (5)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 48-41, this week at Portland State---Heartbreaking, to say the least for the Grizzlies to go down the way they did. They still tried to salvage the win but came up just short. They head out on the road this weekend, hoping for better results.

6. North Dakota (3)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 49-21, this week at UC-Davis---The injuries keep piling up for the Hawks and they lost their other stud corner during the game last week. Injuries are a part of the game and the Hawks need to find a way to recover.

7. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 54-27, this week at Eastern Washington---The best kept secret in the conference may be the fast and physical Hornet defense that has kept the team within their games so far. Now the offense is beginning to come around.

8. Southern Utah (2)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 54-27, this week bye---The Thunderbirds were looking really impressive in their non-conference games only to run in to a buzzsaw last weekend. They are the odd team out this weekend as they get a bye.

9. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 43-42, this week at Northern Arizona---The Bears seemed to have the game in hand last week, only to watch Idaho State come back and make it a game. Even so, the Bears got the win on a last second field goal.

10. Idaho State (9)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 43-42, this week Cal Poly at home---The Bengals recovered and thought they had the game in had only to watch a last second field goal go through. Dejected, they return home suddenly as a favorite to win this week.

11. UC-Davis (8)---Last week lost at Weber State 41-3, this week North Dakota at home---The euphoria of the win the previous week went quickly away for the Aggies as they were never really in the game. This season now has questions as they face one of the top teams in the conference.

12. Portland State (10)---Last week bye, this week Montana at home---After coming back down to earth the previous week, the Vikings took a week off to right the ship and get refocused. They get the mighty Montana team this weekend at home, well, Hillsboro.

13. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 28-10, this week at Idaho State---What happened to the Mustangs? They get to face basically a MASH unit and got mashed themselves. They can't be this bad, can they? They need a win this weekend.

RECAP: 1-2 edging out front, 3-7 keeping pace, 8-10 right there, 11-13 bringing up the rear.

MTfan4life
September 27th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Agree, having a down year. I think Montana St could start some trouble though...

It's only a down year in the case that there isn't a guaranteed top 10 team in what is usually Eastern Washington, or in the past Montana. As a whole though, the Big Sky is much improved. There is no weak game on the schedule, when in the past, a team could get lucky and have 4 or 5 easy games. Look at the power rankings, #13 Cal Poly went on the road and almost beat Northern Iowa, #8 SUU did beat UNI and also slaughtered Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, #12 Portland State nearly beat Pac 12 Oregon State, #10 Idaho State beat FBS Nevada, #12 UC-Davis already has two 20+ point wins against FCS opponents, Sacramento State dismantled IW and then nearly knocked off one of the conference favorites before getting a ranked slaughtering over SUU. North Dakota does have two bad losses, but they also smoked Missouri State 33-0, so it's not like they're entirely incapable of winning either. Montana State took SDSU to the wire, and Weber State gave Cal all they could handle.

The Big Sky might not get a seed in the playoffs, but as a whole for the conference, it's going to be as competitive across the board as it's been since the conference expanded to 13 teams. I liken this season in the Sky as comparable to 2005. I thought 6 out of the 8 that season had a chance to win the title, but as balanced seasons go, every one just beat each other up. I could see this season being very similar.

kalm
September 27th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Problem with putting MSU at number 2 is that UND is decimated by injuries. So that one win by MSU should not be too surprising.
Not sure how a 1-2 team could be number 2 in the BSC.

Losses to #16 FBS and #3 FCS and they looked strong against SDSU. Pounding UND (regardless of how beat up they are) on the road suggests the SDSU performance was no fluke. Tough to find a better resume through just 3 games.

kalm
September 27th, 2017, 06:37 AM
It's only a down year in the case that there isn't a guaranteed top 10 team in what is usually Eastern Washington, or in the past Montana. As a whole though, the Big Sky is much improved. There is no weak game on the schedule, when in the past, a team could get lucky and have 4 or 5 easy games. Look at the power rankings, #13 Cal Poly went on the road and almost beat Northern Iowa, #8 SUU did beat UNI and also slaughtered Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, #12 Portland State nearly beat Pac 12 Oregon State, #10 Idaho State beat FBS Nevada, #12 UC-Davis already has two 20+ point wins against FCS opponents, Sacramento State dismantled IW and then nearly knocked off one of the conference favorites before getting a ranked slaughtering over SUU. North Dakota does have two bad losses, but they also smoked Missouri State 33-0, so it's not like they're entirely incapable of winning either. Montana State took SDSU to the wire, and Weber State gave Cal all they could handle.

The Big Sky might not get a seed in the playoffs, but as a whole for the conference, it's going to be as competitive across the board as it's been since the conference expanded to 13 teams. I liken this season in the Sky as comparable to 2005. I thought 6 out of the 8 that season had a chance to win the title, but as balanced seasons go, every one just beat each other up. I could see this season being very similar.

Good points although both playoff reps were one and done that year.

jadmt
September 27th, 2017, 07:36 AM
I have watched the last two MSU games and gotta say they have something the Griz don't and that is a pretty good running back, well that and a coach with some class.

tomq04
September 27th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I like your points MTfan, however we have to win a couple more of those games, everyone taking the to the wire isn't quite enough.

Big ups to Idaho St for getting it done, call poly needed to finish one of those 2 games, and if My St knocked off SDSU they would be in the top 10 and we'd be in the strong conference conversation.

I did like the close games last week and conference play should be better than most years.

I lastly think EWU has the most talented players and if that Montana game gelled them, they should be back on top, more to come this Saturday.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2017, 11:32 AM
MTfan's points go along with my thinking - the mid to bottom of the conference seems to be tougher this year. So far they've stepped it up. It remains to be seen whether EWU is just off to a slow start (my theory) or if they've dropped back slightly. UND will have a hard time recovering, I think, with all of their injuries. So far it seems like much more parity in the league this year.

Grizalltheway
September 27th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I have watched the last two MSU games and gotta say they have something the Griz don't and that is a pretty good running back, well that and a coach with some class.

Montana has two pretty good running backs, and not sure what you're alluding to with the class comment.

mvemjsunpx
September 27th, 2017, 11:52 AM

Troy Anderson had a decent day against NoDak, but their RBs did nothing the first two games.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Montana has two pretty good running backs, and not sure what you're alluding to with the class comment.
It's common knowledge that Grizzlies have less class than Bobcats xcoffeex

;)

cx500d
September 27th, 2017, 12:54 PM
It's common knowledge that Grizzlies have less class than Bobcats xcoffeex

;)

Well, they do have one more natty than you....

jadmt
September 27th, 2017, 01:26 PM

I guess I just miss the days when we had a true power runner. I think Calhoun could be really good but so far 78 yards and 74 yards against really weak teams meh. By class I mean I have not heard the msu coach throw others under the bus like I have heard Stitt do. I still think we have a good chance of running the table thru conference play.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Well, they do have one more natty than you....
In FCS/I-AA. We have one more than them in all divisions, although IIRC one of them (long time ago) was a tie bowl game, so ultimately from a vote.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 27th, 2017, 04:17 PM

Huhh??? Montana has two really good RBs?

BadlandsGrizFan
September 27th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I guess I just miss the days when we had a true power runner. I think Calhoun could be really good but so far 78 yards and 74 yards against really weak teams meh. By class I mean I have not heard the msu coach throw others under the bus like I have heard Stitt do. I still think we have a good chance of running the table thru conference play.

They have a coach currently on staff that was so classy he talked **** on national television and got knocked the **** out. They have that.

http://media.oregonlive.com/collegefootball_impact/photo/thepunchjpg-3f7e3196bedb6ff7_large.jpg

jadmt
September 27th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Huhh??? Montana has two really good RBs?

is that a rhetorical question? like I said their numbers are not stellar yet and seems like against two weak defenses they should have racked up some big yards. Hopefully it will come and that will only improve the pass game.

Silenoz
September 28th, 2017, 02:40 PM

They're a pretty good team, make no mistake

Granted they'll probably get destroyed in the first round or two of the playoffs, but the bar for the Big Sky is pretty low at this point