PDA

View Full Version : Hampton adds blue chippers

HIU 93
February 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-48752sy0feb06,0,5686324.story?coll=dp-sports-local

andy7171
February 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-48752sy0feb06,0,5686324.story?coll=dp-sports-local
5'8" 175lb linebacker??
Is it a stretch to call him a bluechip?
5'8" is short for a D.I DB even.

th0m
February 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
We have a thread on Mathis over on the CAAZone forums, some people are saying he did not go to JMU due to academics. I say, good luck to him at Hampton.

NYSigma
February 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
5'8" 175lb linebacker??

That was one of his positions in H.S. He will be a DB!!!

andy7171
February 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
That was one of his positions in H.S. He will be a DB!!!
Don't get me wrong. Good for Hampton for landing him. I'm just questioning calling him a bluechip at that size, even if he's going to be a CB.

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
We have a thread on Mathis over on the CAAZone forums, some people are saying he did not go to JMU due to academics. I say, good luck to him at Hampton.

im going to side with some others on this one. how come if a guy doesnt go to JMU, or a 1-A school and goes to Hampton instead, it must be because of his academics?

th0m
February 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
im going to side with some others on this one. how come if a guy doesnt go to JMU, or a 1-A school and goes to Hampton instead, it must be because of his academics?

Probably because people just like to spread rumors.

andy7171
February 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I would think that it's harder to get into Hampton than into JMU.

JMU2004
February 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM

You would be wrong.....in my honest opinion

3rd Coast Tiger
February 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Congrats Hampton! Good luck on a four-pete! :thumbsup:

By the way, we still own you! xlolx (1-0)

andy7171
February 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I always thought James Madison was like George Mason with a football team.:cool:

jmuroller
February 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I always thought James Madison was like George Mason with a football team.:cool:

You can't be serious?

Honestly, admission into JMU has changed DRASTICALLY in the past 15-20 years. JMU is the most popular school in VA, in that they get more applications each year than any school, including UVA and Va Tech. We let in fewer freshman each year than those schools also. Because of this you can imagine what it does to the admission rates. Each year it gets harder and harder to get into because we get more applications and let the same amount of freshman in each year. In the 80's all you had to be was an above average HS student you would get into JMU. Now we are just slightly behind schools such as the Patriot's and W&M.

andy7171
February 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
You can't be serious?

Honestly, admission into JMU has changed DRASTICALLY in the past 15-20 years. JMU is the most popular school in VA, in that they get more applications each year than any school, including UVA and Va Tech. We let in fewer freshman each year than those schools also. Because of this you can imagine what it does to the admission rates. Each year it gets harder and harder to get into because we get more applications and let the same amount of freshman in each year. In the 80's all you had to be was an above average HS student you would get into JMU. Now we are just slightly behind schools such as the Patriot's and W&M.
touchy, touchy!:rolleyes:

bandl
February 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM
This is going to turn into a pissing match very soon...:(

Both are very good schools. Virginia has a ton of good schools to offer in fact. :nod:

th0m
February 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Well, according to CoachMatthews.com we got Mathis, not Hampton. So for all we know he wasn't good enough academically for Hampton, or academics had nothing to do with it to begin with.

Press conference at 3PM.

Here's the list with our recruits, as well as highlight vid's for all players.

http://www.coachmatthews.com/07class/index.php

But then Hampton also says they signed Mathis according to this article....

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-husign1,0,6524465.story?coll=dp-sports-local

I'm confused!

th0m
February 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Alright, Mathis not on the website anymore! Congrats Hampton on a great recruit!

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Well, according to CoachMatthews.com we got Mathis, not Hampton. So for all we know he wasn't good enough academically for Hampton, or academics had nothing to do with it to begin with.

Press conference at 3PM.

Here's the list with our recruits, as well as highlight vid's for all players.

http://www.coachmatthews.com/07class/index.php

But then Hampton also says they signed Mathis according to this article....

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-husign1,0,6524465.story?coll=dp-sports-local

I'm confused!

thats classic.

rufus
February 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mickey Matthews confirmed during the press conference that Mathis verballed to JMU, but couldn't get through admissions. It's too bad -- he looks to be a strong recruit.

G.S.Green
February 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
With all the banter about which school got the guy, I guess it is time to meet back on the filed and solve the issue of which school got the better end of the deal. For all we know, Mathis may not ever play a down.

HIU 93
February 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
5'8" 175lb linebacker??

They recruited to play DB.

th0m
February 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
With all the banter about which school got the guy, I guess it is time to meet back on the filed and solve the issue of which school got the better end of the deal. For all we know, Mathis may not ever play a down.

Hampton - JMU would be a great game. Unfortunately we've already got our schedule fixed until '09 or '10.

R.A.
February 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
So, Hampton and JMU in 2011... I think that's the year that Princeton goes to Armstrong Stadium. JMU and Princeton in the same season would be a competitive schedule for the Pirates to go along with the rest of their MEAC teams.

Menudo
February 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Well with NCCU possiblly joining the MEAC along with WSSU, I think Hampton will only have room for 1 OOC game, and let's not forget all the classics, Hampton usually participates in

G.S.Green
February 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I believe NCCU and WSSU joining the MEAC will force the conference to look at avoiding some sort of SWAC mandate because the prestige of playing other good OOC games will be too much of a draw to allow the schedule to be dominated by conference games.

I want JMU and Princeton in ’11. That would be a great year to snatch two of those wins.

BTW, the class is looking damn good. I will be in the seats next year.

G.Green

th0m
February 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I was a bit optimistic, we're set until '09. '10 is all open. I'd definitely like to see a matchup with Hampton (as well as ODU, who should at least have a team by then ;)). We should just have an all VA OOC slate. We usually play VMI and or Liberty.

HIU 93
February 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM

JMU is the most selective school in VA, based on percentage of freshman appliccants accepted out of the total applications received. It has been that way for at least twenty years.

We are EXTREMELY selective at Hampton as well. Virginia schools as a whole are some of the most selective in the nation.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM
JMU is the most selective school in VA, based on percentage of freshman appliccants accepted out of the total applications received. It has been that way for at least twenty years.

We are EXTREMELY selective at Hampton as well. Virginia schools as a whole are some of the most selective in the nation.

JMU gets the most applicants, but HU is actually more selective based on percentage of applicants admitted and enrolled, as is W&M. Virginia schools are in demand. HU had 11,000 applicants for 2005, and only enrolled 1,300.

HIU 93
February 18th, 2007, 02:27 PM
JMU gets the most applicants, but HU is actually more selective based on percentage of applicants admitted and enrolled, as is W&M. Virginia schools are in demand. HU had 11,000 applicants for 2005, and only enrolled 1,300.

Thank you for the good words! I have done some research, and you are correct. So as of 2005, Hampton is the most selective school in VA. Good run JMU, we'll take it from here!:thumbsup:

DTSpider
February 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you for the good words! I have done some research, and you are correct. So as of 2005, Hampton is the most selective school in VA. Good run JMU, we'll take it from here!:thumbsup:

As mentioned before, there are a lot of pretty selective schools in VA. So far UR has received 6600 applications for roughly 750 to 800 spots (around 12%), which is the same as 1300 out of 11,000. I haven't run the numbers on W&L, but I'd imagine that they have similar numbers as well.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
As mentioned before, there are a lot of pretty selective schools in VA. So far UR has received 6600 applications for roughly 750 to 800 spots (around 12%), which is the same as 1300 out of 11,000. I haven't run the numbers on W&L, but I'd imagine that they have similar numbers as well.

UR and W&L are right in there. The school that's rising fast on selectivity is CNU, having passed VCU.

youwouldno
February 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
UR hurt themselves when they jacked tuition 15K a couple years ago. My sister was accepted and interested in attending but the 30K/year gap between UR and W&M is hard to justify for Virginia residents. Price discrimination, taken to the extreme, is the future of private college tuition in the next 5-15 years though. The top public schools will benefit big time in terms of increased interest from upper middle class students.

Hampton86
February 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM

What FACTS do you have to back your opinion that it would be easier for a student to be accepted to Hampton instead of JMU ? You're starting to make some unfortunate ASSumptions? Is it because it's an HBCU? If not, please explain.

:nono:

SoCon48
February 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM

They say that about everybody that gets away.

SoCon48
February 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
You can't be serious?

I dunno. W&M's avg of over 1350 on the SAT, 100% in top half of class..not sure I'd call JMU being "slightly" behind.