PDA

View Full Version : 2017-09-30 AGS GOTW Week 5

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks to MTfan4life, ST_Lawson, & DirtyDukes for assembling a good group this week.

Descriptive props to MTFan.

South Dakota @ Western Illinois
- rare undefeated vs. undefeated matchup considering most teams usually have an FBS loss in the early points of a season

South Dakota State @ Youngstown State
- One of the best offenses in the country vs. one of the best defenses

Sam Houston State @ Central Arkansas
- Not just the game of the year in the Southland, but the conference doesn't seem to be offering any other contenders to these two the rest of the way.

Albany @ Elon
- Two teams coming off very impressive wins.

Weber State @ Montana State
- A new favorite in the Big Sky emerges and gets to host one of the other favorites.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Man that is going to be a tough choice. So many good games.

Winterborn
September 25th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Hard to pick but ended up going with SDSU vs YSU. Mainly because I am real curious how good SDSU actually plays against a decent defense.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2017, 01:34 PM
After picking Nicholls/SHSU last week and that game being the worst GOTW in AGS history, sorry SLC. I'm not picking any remaining game from that conference this season until someone actually beats the bear cats. I don't give a **** if it's #1 vs #2 in Frisco! Still not GOTW.

I'm going with SDSU/YSU. Last year's runner up hosts the team that can supposedly battle with the bison as this year's top MVFC team. We're about to find out real quick who is a real MVFC contender and who is going to land more towards the middle of the pack. Huge expectations for both programs right now and one of them will end up falling back a bit.

Wow, all GOTW nominees are solid. This is one of the better weeks in recent memory.

ElCid
September 25th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks to MTfan4life, ST_Lawson, & DirtyDukes for assembling a good group this week.

Descriptive props to MTFan.

South Dakota @ Western Illinois
- rare undefeated vs. undefeated matchup considering most teams usually have an FBS loss in the early points of a season

South Dakota State @ Youngstown State
- One of the best offenses in the country vs. one of the best defenses

Sam Houston State @ Central Arkansas
- Not just the game of the year in the Southland, but the conference doesn't seem to be offering any other contenders to these two the rest of the way.

Albany @ Elon
- Two teams coming off very impressive wins.

Weber State @ Montana State
- A new favorite in the Big Sky emerges and gets to host one of the other favorites.

Oh my. No The Citadel at Samford? One of the best passing offenses in FCS against the best rushing in FCS. There were a lot of good games to choose from so I forgive you.xthumbsupx

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2017, 01:39 PM
JMU's game at UD is also interesting with many story lines but it doesn't compare to the five listed above.

1) Danny Rocco is a program rebuilder. The blue chicks want to believe he'll be their savior. They are licking their chops after seeing Maine stop our run (sort of). They think they can do the same thing, although there's the inconvenience of having to do it for an entire football game and hope your secondary holds on! It'll be interesting to see how UD looks in their first real test of the Rocco era so far.
2) After the humbling performance for JMU from last week, will the Dukes come out pissed? They better be because they'll have to face another pretty established defense. Unfortunately for UD's sub-par offense, we also have one of those fancy smancy defenses.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2017, 01:45 PM
What about Missouri St @ NDSU. Some interesting story lines there as well.

1. NDSU's conference opener
2. Missouri St has a football team... kinda.

xcoolx:D

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2017, 02:14 PM
I gotta be a homer here and vote for WIU vs USD...lots of big storylines with this one, but also, could very well decide who gets to be in the playoff picture and who drops to "bubble team" status.

But yea, lots of really good games across the board this week.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I think it's clearly SDSU @ YSU because, for the most part, the other highly ranked teams playing big games this weekend (USD, WIU, SHSU) have already proven themselves with big wins already this year. Whoever loses this SDSU/YSU game is going to have an awful shaky justification for a high ranking. On the flip side, the winner vaults itself into the top 3 (or solidifies it's position in the top 3) most likely.

BEAR
September 25th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I went with the homer vote of course.

It will be a big blow to Sammy if they lose.
It will be a big blow the the SLC if Sammy loses.
But I don't see that happening..even on "the stripes" .

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Oh my. No The Citadel at Samford? One of the best passing offenses in FCS against the best rushing in FCS. There were a lot of good games to choose from so I forgive you.xthumbsupx

Considered but Samford losing took the shine off unfortuantely. I really would rather have a SoCon game in there but Samford screwed ya on that one.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I took SDSU/YSU even though I don't think it will be close, SDSU wins big, sell your mutual funds, take a second mortgage on the house, bet the ranch, #bookit

Schism55
September 25th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Not even close. No matter how much hot air SoCon posters pump up Samfords ass, doesn't change the fact they are bad. Maybe the most over rated team in the country. They won't be making the playoffs.
ps. I've had a lot of coffee today

DirtyDukes
September 25th, 2017, 02:33 PM
JMU's game at UD is also interesting with many story lines but it doesn't compare to the five listed above.

1) Danny Rocco is a program rebuilder. The blue chicks want to believe he'll be their savior. They are licking their chops after seeing Maine stop our run (sort of). They think they can do the same thing, although there's the inconvenience of having to do it for an entire football game and hope your secondary holds on! It'll be interesting to see how UD looks in their first real test of the Rocco era so far.
2) After the humbling performance for JMU from last week, will the Dukes come out pissed? They better be because they'll have to face another pretty established defense. Unfortunately for UD's sub-par offense, we also have one of those fancy smancy defenses.

I had it on the list (homer pick obviously) but agree with Ursus Albany/Elon is a better choice.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I had to go with the 2 highest ranked teams I had in my poll. But man that is one hell of a slate of games.

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2017, 02:50 PM
USD @ WIU is the most intriguing.....answers more questions.

The Yo Show
September 25th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Can we have an AGS Game(S) of the week for just this week? xdrunkyx

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I took SDSU/YSU even though I don't think it will be close, SDSU wins big, sell your mutual funds, take a second mortgage on the house, bet the ranch, #bookit

I like this! I like this a lot!

BTW, this was not a fair week to try and vote for 1 game.

I went with USeD vs WIU just so I know which team(s) are top 10 and which team(s) are not top 10.

Serpentor
September 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
After picking Nicholls/SHSU last week and that game being the worst GOTW in AGS history, sorry SLC. I'm not picking any remaining game from that conference this season until someone actually beats the bear cats. I don't give a **** if it's #1 vs #2 in Frisco! Still not GOTW.

I tried to warn everybody not to make a big stink about that game last week, but did they listen?

Katfan
September 25th, 2017, 04:20 PM

I'm going with SDSU/YSU. Last year's runner up hosts the team that can supposedly battle with the bison as this year's top MVFC team. We're about to find out real quick who is a real MVFC contender and who is going to land more towards the middle of the pack. Huge expectations for both programs right now and one of them will end up falling back a bit.

Wow, all GOTW nominees are solid. This is one of the better weeks in recent memory.
I agree and picked the same game but I hope I can find a place to watch all of these.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to warn everybody not to make a big stink about that game last week, but did they listen?
They will now but I kinda liked watching it.

Katfan
September 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Aren't you usually wrong?

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Aren't you usually wrong?

Clearly, you do not understand how the #bookit works

Katfan
September 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Clearly, you do not understand how the #bookit works
Its like a voodoo hex, right?

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Its like a voodoo hex, right?

That is why POD Knows does his #bookit when it is needed most

Bison56
September 25th, 2017, 04:50 PM
So many good games.

Serpentor
September 25th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I'm going SDSU/Youngstown, that'll probably be a slugfest.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Aren't you usually wrong?Yea, it is a process with a clearly defined objective and purpose. It is hard for normal people to grasp the power of it all. And it isn't a voodoo hex, voodoo hexes are for posers, this is the real deal.

RabidRabbit
September 25th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I gotta be a homer here and vote for WIU vs USD...lots of big storylines with this one, but also, could very well decide who gets to be in the playoff picture and who drops to "bubble team" status.

But yea, lots of really good games across the board this week.

Yea, if not for Rabbits out to continue frosting the Penguins, this is an outstanding game. You all playing in afternoon, so can watch prior to Guins/Jacks?

SU DOG
September 25th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Not even close. No matter how much hot air SoCon posters pump up Samfords ass, doesn't change the fact they are bad. Maybe the most over rated team in the country. They won't be making the playoffs.
ps. I've had a lot of coffee today

Maybe I could suggest you try some good Decaf?

cx500d
September 25th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Sammy-UCA

Same reason as last week. Sammy either is exposed, or the Softland Conference is exposed...

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 05:55 PM
So many good games.

The SDSU and Elon games are two I really want to see bad!

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Yea, if not for Rabbits out to continue frosting the Penguins, this is an outstanding game. You all playing in afternoon, so can watch prior to Guins/Jacks?

Here's the game times for all games listed above (in Central):
1:00 PM - Albany @ Elon
2:30 PM - Weber State @ Montana State (Big Sky Streaming, I assume)
3:00 PM - South Dakota @ Western Illinois (ESPN3)
6:00 PM - South Dakota State @ Youngstown State (ESPN3)
6:00 PM - Sam Houston State @ Central Arkansas (ESPN3)

So, yea...if you're not actually at Youngstown, you should be able to watch most, if not all of the USD@WIU game before your game kicks off. If Albany @ Elon is streaming anywhere (little help from the east coast folks please?) you can catch a couple of hours of that before ours gets going as well.

We'll be having our Post-Game Band Alumni Gathering at Buffalo Wild Wings after our game, so I'll see if they can stream some ESPN3 to the nearest TV so I can catch some of you guys' game. Otherwise I'll just have my phone streaming on the table until I run out of battery.

Daytripper
September 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Sammy-UCA

Same reason as last week. Sammy either is exposed, or the Softland Conference is exposed...

Lose-lose again.

Catbooster
September 26th, 2017, 01:06 AM
No one for MSU-Weber? I guess I'll have to choose that one.

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2017, 03:21 AM
Only works if I have a good feeling about SDSU winning. I don't this time xcoffeex

Lose-lose again.

You poor bastards xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
September 26th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Most weeks Albany/Elon and Weber St/Mont St would be GOTW. Sadly, they are clearly 4th and 5th best options this week. I went with USD/WIU only because it's the most intriguing to me, but I could be swayed for either of the other two.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 04:47 PM
No one for MSU-Weber? I guess I'll have to choose that one.

Crap, I just went and looked at em' again and wanted to do the same thing just for the sympathy factor. That is a really intriguing game and I will be seeing it. Then I look at all the others and it's pretty damn tough to not go with one of them also. Every game there is a high quality match up.

PKnows made the case for me on USD/WIU I think because that one is more dangerous to both involved with what they may have coming at them down the road. Hell, it's just tough to pick one basicaly because the CAA match is very similar in answering the question...what can we expect going forward the two...which is the same thing wtih the BSC match. I've talked myself in a full circle now. xlolx

Catbooster
September 26th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Crap, I just went and looked at em' again and wanted to do the same thing just for the sympathy factor. That is a really intriguing game and I will be seeing it. Then I look at all the others and it's pretty damn tough to not go with one of them also. Every game there is a high quality match up.

PKnows made the case for me on USD/WIU I think because that one is more dangerous to both involved with what they may have coming at them down the road. Hell, it's just tough to pick one basicaly because the CAA match is very similar in answering the question...what can we expect going forward the two...which is the same thing wtih the BSC match. I've talked myself in a full circle now. xlolx

I know. I ended up punting and going with the homer vote

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2017, 11:18 PM
I went with Albany-Elon. The CAA seems to be a muddled mess after JMU and these two teams are certainly part of it. Albany has the potential to be a really dangerous team come playoff time and Elon is one of he Cinderellas so far this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 11:45 PM
I know. I ended up punting and going with the homer vote

Went with Albany/Elon but basically flipped a mind coin with that one and USD/WIU. I really wanted to go with MSU/Weber but if it were one week later after both teams winning I think I could have pulled the trigger on that one but right now thos other two just have a slight edge and the SDSU/YSU is bigger but on the same level as the MSU one in my interst to see who won it level.

I'm glad the Griz are on the road this week to be honest. xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 27th, 2017, 09:22 AM

We're praying for a day when the SLC actually puts up a semblance of a fight against you all. Maybe in 30 years.

Serpentor
September 27th, 2017, 09:59 AM
We're praying for a day when the SLC actually puts up a semblance of a fight against you all. Maybe in 30 years.

McNeese, Central Arky, and on good years, maybe SFA and SELA. The rest I never really concern myself with. Yes, this arrogance leads to rare existential breakdowns when teams like Lamar or Northwestern State pull off a miracle upset, but that happens so infrequently I need not alter my perception of reality enough to accommodate it.

theEDOGG
September 27th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Coin toss 1A & 1B

Interested to see how SDSU holds up against last years Runner Up. At the same time SHSU with a win at the Birthday Cake would be a big one!

Hopefully I can catch all these games!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk