PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 4 2017

superman7515
September 23rd, 2017, 11:54 PM
Gonna be a tough one this week boys!

Top 40 teams saw nine bye weeks and 14 losses (nine to lower ranked or unranked teams), with the bottom of the poll, spots 17 through 25, going for three wins and six losses. Of those six losses, five were to lower rated teams, and the only one that wasn't an upset was #22 Nicholls losing by seven touchdowns.

Definitely a good week for some discussion because there are only a handful of teams right now that look like they unquestionably belong in the polls.

Anyway, there's still one more game I need to find an article on, Southern Utah/Sacramento State went late tonight, and ESPN seems to have completely given up on recaps of FCS games, so even if you close it right after you open the page, try clicking a few of the local links so they remain incentivized to keep up the coverage.

Sagarin & Massey will update in the morning, and since it is Week 4, I add SOS to the spreadsheet from here out, so you'll get that tomorrow as well! *Probably after I get some breakfast*

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b3U04PzR0EkaZPBXzWxqFWW19aExr4RD5HaZMkjhJ3o/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Oh yeah, if you notice an error, send me a PM please, I don't want to risk missing your post in the thread and putting out bad info. So far, no problems this year, which means I probably just jinxed myself.

tomq04
September 24th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Thanks Sup! I already have my ballet ready, record time.

WestCoastAggie
September 24th, 2017, 06:40 AM
So umm... yeah... WIU and Elon busted up plenty of brackets.

Is Richmond falling far? Any concerns over Montana? Does Tenn State fall out your poll?

Will A&T continue to rise? The Aggies are 4-0 for the first time since '92. They dominated their MEAC opponent 49-12.

Is UT Martin a top 15 team?

Sheesh!

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Is Richmond falling far? Any concerns over Montana? Does Tenn State fall out your poll?

Will A&T continue to rise? The Aggies are 4-0 for the first time since '92. They dominated their MEAC opponent 49-12.

Sheesh!

My question is.....is the CAA just an average conference this year given Richmond's stunning defeat to Elon and JMU's struggle to get past Maine??

Thundar
September 24th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Anyone have UND still in the top 25? Lol what a terrible team

kalm
September 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Top 40 teams saw nine bye weeks and 14 losses (nine to lower ranked or unranked teams), with the bottom of the poll, spots 17 through 25, going for three wins and six losses. Of those six losses, five were to lower rated teams, and the only one that wasn't an upset was #22 Nicholls losing by seven touchdowns.

Definitely a good week for some discussion because there are only a handful of teams right now that look like they unquestionably belong in the polls.

Anyway, there's still one more game I need to find an article on, Southern Utah/Sacramento State went late tonight, and ESPN seems to have completely given up on recaps of FCS games, so even if you close it right after you open the page, try clicking a few of the local links so they remain incentivized to keep up the coverage.

Sagarin & Massey will update in the morning, and since it is Week 4, I add SOS to the spreadsheet from here out, so you'll get that tomorrow as well! *Probably after I get some breakfast*

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b3U04PzR0EkaZPBXzWxqFWW19aExr4RD5HaZMkjhJ3o/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Oh yeah, if you notice an error, send me a PM please, I don't want to risk missing your post in the thread and putting out bad info. So far, no problems this year, which means I probably just jinxed myself.

Stats has been solid with the FCS recaps.

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Should be interesting.

GoBlueHens83
September 24th, 2017, 08:01 AM
My question is.....is the CAA just an average conference this year given Richmond's stunning defeat to Elon and JMU's struggle to get past Maine??

No.

The CAA teams aren't really far apart when it comes down to talent, so upsets are pretty common.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Sheesh!

WIU over CCU was no shock, maybe the spread was. CCU isn't playoff eligible so it doesn't effect brackets. Elon was on my radar but I didn't think they could win this game.

Montana wasnt in my poll, so no.

Tennessee State was 25 in my poll and I wasn't impressed, so, yes.

I dont see how I can raise NCAT much higher. They don't play anyone that could prove them worthy of a higher ranking and look like they are headed to the Heritage Bowl, so unfortunately we will never know how good this Aggie team really is.

UTM in the Top 15 seems a little high at this point, but with all the losses this weekend, who knows.

jmu007
September 24th, 2017, 08:24 AM
No.

The CAA teams aren't really far apart when it comes down to talent, so upsets are pretty common.

This. I'd argue this probably the most balanced CAA we've seen in a long time. Towson is probably the only easy out this year. The other 11, anyone can beat anyone.

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Is this a question or a:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26113&stc=1

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Get your work done boys Supe does a damn fine job with this. Yesterday when watching the scores I was thinking damn this is going to be a tough one but I actually enjoyed it. Some really surprising scores yesterday that should shake up a lot of polls this week.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Anyone have UND still in the top 25? Lol what a terrible teamNot me, I exited them and loved every minute of it.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Get your work done boys Supe does a damn fine job with this. Yesterday when watching the scores I was thinking damn this is going to be a tough one but I actually enjoyed it. Some really surprising scores yesterday that should shake up a lot of polls this week.If SIU would have beat Memphis yesterday, I might have had 7 MVFC teams in my top ten given the carnage that happened with some of these other teams.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Not me, I exited them and loved every minute of it.

Yep!

I dropped them harder than Enron's stock back in 2001

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 09:40 AM
If SIU would have beat Memphis yesterday, I might have had 7 MVFC teams in my top ten given the carnage that happened with some of these other teams.
7? Wow even if they had won I wouldn't have.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 09:40 AM
If SIU would have beat Memphis yesterday, I might have had 7 MVFC teams in my top ten given the carnage that happened with some of these other teams.

I have 6 in mine and I was struggling to figure out the order of USeD, WIU, YSU, and ISUr

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Not me, I exited them and loved every minute of it.

I didn't have them nearly as high as some did as I thought they were to high so for me it wasn't that far for them to drop to exit the top 25.

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 09:42 AM

I had 6 MVFC teams, and they were all in the top 10.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:44 AM
This. I'd argue this probably the most balanced CAA we've seen in a long time. Towson is probably the only easy out this year. The other 11, anyone can beat anyone.

If you guys believe this, then Sammy is a very good team. :Dxthumbsupx

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Yep!

I dropped them harder than Enron's stock back in 2001

Agreed. No place in the Top 25 for a 1-3 team, unless they had close losses to JMU, NDSU and SDSU.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Agreed. No place in the Top 25 for a 1-3 team, unless they had close losses to JMU, NDSU and SDSU.

+5

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 09:52 AM

They were riding at #20 for me this past week, but when you get embarrassed like that and your only win is against Missery State, who would be a .500 team in decent conferences, well, you show to others that you are as useful as wet toilet paper.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Villanova's record is listed as 2-1 in the spreadsheet. The Wildcats are actually 2-2.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Villanova's record is listed as 2-1 in the spreadsheet. The Wildcats are actually 2-2.

Villa seems to be another grossly overrated CAA squad.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Their wins have come against two PL teams that are a combined 0-8...lol

I like JMU and UNH in the CAA. I think W&M and Maine can still do damage. Richmond and 'Nova have good pieces but are extremely flawed. Albany and SBU are the wildcards. Maybe Elon can sustain it all season?

POD Knows
September 24th, 2017, 09:57 AM
I had 6 MVFC teams, and they were all in the top 10.Yea, I do in this week's poll, I thought SIU looked vastly improved, are they a top 10 team, probably not but who knows. I had Villanova ranked pretty high and they looked like dog **** yesterday. I am embarrassed that I had North Dakota still in my top 25 last week, they suck on a whole new level. I thought about dropping Wofford down this week because of their apparent inability to actually beat somebody convincingly but outside of the top 6 or 7 teams, nobody appears to really be stepping up. I moved you guys up a little, don't disappoint me.

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM

On this one, I'm going to have to agree with you. This game, along with another horrendous day for Lehigh on defense exposes how bad the Villanova Offense may be.

kalm
September 24th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Yea, I do in this week's poll, I thought SIU looked vastly improved, are they a top 10 team, probably not but who knows. I had Villanova ranked pretty high and they looked like dog **** yesterday. I am embarrassed that I had North Dakota still in my top 25 last week, they suck on a whole new level. I thought about dropping Wofford down this week because of their apparent inability to actually beat somebody convincingly but outside of the top 6 or 7 teams, nobody appears to really be stepping up. I moved you guys up a little, don't disappoint me.

TO teams tend to play more close games than others.

I had 6 MVFC teams in my top 11. 7 over all. I also have 7 CAA teams ranked. Those numbers will obviously go down a little moving forward.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I have 6 MVFC teams in the top 12.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I can't vote in the AGS poll on account of I've not done so in years, but here's my take on the top 25 (based upon these rankings

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston State
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Youngstown State
7. Western Illinois
8. NC A&T
9. Wofford
10. South Dakota
11. Citadel
12. Illinois State
13. Central Arkansas
14. Eastern Washington
15. New Hampshire
16. Albany
17. Weber State
18. Villanova
19. Richmond
20. Western Carolina
21. Tennessee Martin
22. Montana State
23. Elon
24. Samford
25. McNeese State

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I moved you guys up a little, don't disappoint me.

Then I'm pretty sure you have UNH higher than I do. I've been knocking Wofford down a position or two as the eke out a win by 1 - 3 points every week.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I can't vote in the AGS poll on account of I've not done so in years, but here's my take on the top 25 (based upon these rankings

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston State
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Youngstown State
7. Western Illinois To high
8. NC A&T To High
9. Wofford
10. South Dakota
11. Citadel
12. Illinois State
13. Central Arkansas
14. Eastern Washington
15. New Hampshire
16. Albany
17. Weber State
18. Villanova
19. Richmond
20. Western Carolina
21. Tennessee Martin
22. Montana State
23. Elon
24. Samford
25. McNeese State

Overall not bad but......

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 10:26 AM

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston State
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Youngstown State
7. Western Illinois
8. NC A&T
9. Wofford
10. South Dakota
11. Citadel
12. Illinois State
13. Central Arkansas
14. Eastern Washington
15. New Hampshire
16. Albany
17. Weber State
18. Villanova
19. Richmond
20. Western Carolina
21. Tennessee Martin
22. Montana State
23. Elon
24. Samford
25. McNeese State

xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Overall not bad but......

My justification for having Western Illinois and NC A&T jump so high was their performance against FBS teams (NC A&T beat FBS Charlotte and Western Illinois beat hybrid FBS/FCS CCU) and the lop-sided nature of their victories thus far. I'm more impressed with them than any of the team's performances after #6

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 10:33 AM
My justification for having Western Illinois and NC A&T jump so high was their performance against FBS teams (NC A&T beat FBS Charlotte and Western Illinois beat hybrid FBS/FCS CCU) and the lop-sided nature of their victories thus far. I'm more impressed with them than any of the team's performances after #6

Might as well put NCAT #1. They never play anyone to prove otherwise.

I dont get slipping McNeese in. Seems like a name vote. Were you pretty high on Houston Baptist? xlolx

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I have no problem with him putting in McNeese but NCAT that high for the very reason you mention.

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Samford doesn't deserve to be ranked.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Agreed

superman7515
September 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM
SOS has been updated (and Massey, still waiting on Sagarin) and there are a few teams that look like they might be paper tigers lurking out there.

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM
SOS has been updated (and Massey, still waiting on Sagarin) and there are a few teams that look like they might be paper tigers lurking out there.
Thanks for all the work you put into this. It's really helpful stuff.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Might as well put NCAT #1. They never play anyone to prove otherwise.

I dont get slipping McNeese in. Seems like a name vote. Were you pretty high on Houston Baptist? xlolx

It's still only week 4. There's a lot of uncertainty. A lot of outlier games are played in the first month of the year in the sense that upsets happen that you don't classify as such until later. I have no doubt that NC A&T will slip in the rankings when other teams start putting together a body of work. Also I think the 20-25 rankings for any rankings is a crapshoot, especially this early in this season

I have no problem with him putting in McNeese but NCAT that high for the very reason you mention.

Again, This is just a snapshot. If they continue to beat FCS teams by 3 TDs + they'll stay up there, but as soon as they start slipping (which statistically speaking is likely) they'll drop.

As far as I'm concerned, no one between 6-18 (or so) in the rankings has done anything more impressive than the other. So for now, by weight of their accomplishments, I'm ranking them that high

If they lose this week they don't, but if they win they do, so a 20-25 ranking is appropriate

Go Green
September 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM

15. New Hampshire

Ask Holy Cross who they think is the best team in the Granite State.

:)

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Agreed

They are out of mine and they should not be in anyones' at all.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I have 6 in mine and I was struggling to figure out the order of USeD, WIU, YSU, and ISUr

*Takes off SDSU hat*

Does USD really have the resume to be a top ten team? A win over a bad FBS team that has zero wins, a win by a larger margin over a wildly overrated UND squad where they kept the starters in longer than necessary to pump some stats and the score, and a win over Drake where they kept starters in later than most for another pumped up score. I have them ranked highly, but I'm not 100% sold that they are firmly in the top ten. I would say WIU has a better resume tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 12:43 PM
*Takes off SDSU hat*

Does USD really have the resume to be a top ten team? A win over a bad FBS team that has zero wins, a win by a larger margin over a wildly overrated UND squad where they kept the starters in longer than necessary to pump some stats and the score, and a win over Drake where they kept starters in later than most for another pumped up score. I have them ranked highly, but I'm not 100% sold that they are firmly in the top ten. I would say WIU has a better resume tbh.

Give me a team outside SHSU, JSU, JMU, and El Cid (NDSU, ISUr, SDSU, YSU, WIU excluded) who has a better resume and stronger wins, than USeD?

Wofford: Lucked out on 3 wins that should have been bigger than what they were
Albany: I need to see more and Nova looks weak sauce
Weber St: Might be the best team in the Big Sky right now and I just don't see it
CAU: Murray St and SELA, yeah, not right now
UT-Martin: D2, Chatty (Looks awful), UT-State (alright, I might budge on that one)
Elon: Since 2012, only has 1 season where they won 4 games, otherwise, they have 2, 4, 1, 2, 3 win seasons.

So I ask again, can you give me 1 team who should supplant them? Right now, I do not see any team with a better resume to take their place.

JMUisat14
September 24th, 2017, 12:45 PM

We won by three scores.. you really need to up your game.

superman7515
September 24th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Give me a team outside SHSU, JSU, JMU, and El Cid (NDSU, ISUr, SDSU, YSU, WIU excluded) who has a better resume and stronger wins, than USeD?

El Cid has the 103rd rated schedule, of 124 FCS teams, in the nation to this point. Every team ranked lower than them is either non-scholarship or doesn't participate in the playoffs, so literally anyone you name from the Big Sky, Big South, CAA, MVFC, OVC, SoCon, and Southland has a better resume at this point.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM
El Cid has the 103rd rated schedule, of 124 FCS teams, in the nation to this point. Every team ranked lower than them is either non-scholarship or doesn't participate in the playoffs, so literally anyone you name from the Big Sky, Big South, CAA, MVFC, OVC, SoCon, and Southland has a better resume at this point.

Yeah, right now we are suffering from Sam Houstonitis.xlolx Just how the schedule fell out this year to start. Which worked out well to shake out some of our new starters. We may fall off, but we are 3-0 baby.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Yet last year it took weeks for The Citadel to climb when we opened with two Conference games. Hiw is delaware looking?

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Yeah, right now we are suffering from Sam Houstonitis.xlolx Just how the schedule fell out this year to start. Which worked out well to shake out some of our new starters. We may fall off, but we are 3-0 baby.

He beat me to it. I was going to use the whole SHSU argument. xlolx

I give El Cid the benefit of the doubt since they have won the games they need to, by the scores they need to. I actually dropped them due to their win over ETSU but they are still in the top 10. Just cause they won, does not mean they did not drop.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I don't see how they can be ranked after the loss yesterday.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:25 PM

I give El Cid the benefit of the doubt since they have won the games they need to, by the scores they need to. I actually dropped them due to their win over ETSU but they are still in the top 10. Just cause they won, does not mean they did not drop.

Yeah, and I while I was pretty upset at the lackluster result in the win over ETSU, I had to keep reminding myself that my Dogs were on the road like 7 of 9 days prior to that game. We drove the ball pretty much at will most of the game. Not to mention that ETSU is not as bad as folks think. They did just beat a pretty good Mercer team. Yeah they crapped the bed bad at JMU. But I attribute a little of that towards, the first road game of the year for them, National Champion opponent, etc. They are youngish.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 01:26 PM

They have? To be top ten? I've been more than underwhelmed by them and I've watched a couple of their games.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 01:30 PM
They have? To be top ten? I've been more than underwhelmed by them and I've watched a couple of their games.

REALLY? Underwhelming would be almost losing to Montana State as a top 5 team...

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I don't see how they can be ranked after the loss yesterday.

Eh? WCU is better than you think. Samford is still a dangerous opponent. They got issues (defense, running game), but their QB is pretty dang good. We haven't hear the last of them this year.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Eh? WCU is better than you think. Samford is still a dangerous opponent. They got issues (defense, running game), but their QB is pretty dang good. We haven't hear the last of them this year.

I'm not counting them out for the season. I'm just saying through four weeks I don't think they are a top 25

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Then Again, no one seems to want to prove they are. A lot of goofy triangles. What do you do with New Hampshire and holy cross? What do you do with that Elon, Furman, Richmond, Colgate connection?so many odd results in the first four weeks makes it really hard to place anyone beyond like the top five or seven

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Yeah, and I while I was pretty upset at the lackluster result in the win over ETSU, I had to keep reminding myself that my Dogs were on the road like 7 of 9 days prior to that game. We drove the ball pretty much at will most of the game. Not to mention that ETSU is not as bad as folks think. They did just beat a pretty good Mercer team. Yeah they crapped the bed bad at JMU. But I attribute a little of that towards, the first road game of the year for them, National Champion opponent, etc. They are youngish.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, just like I did for UND, Samford, etc... By week 5-6, the poll will be more fluid and 6 MVFC will not be in the top 10.

REALLY? Underwhelming would be almost losing to Montana State as a top 5 team...

Thumper this! I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt as well.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 01:39 PM

xlolx Not nearly as underwhelming as being down to ETSU at half moron.

Also, I don't have SDSU at top five after that game.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 01:40 PM
I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, just like I did for UND, Samford, etc... By week 5-6, the poll will be more fluid and 6 MVFC will not be in the top 10.

Thumper this! I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt as well.

Your poll should be fluid earlier in the season not mid season xcoffeex.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 01:41 PM
xlolx Not nearly as underwhelming as being down to ETSU at half moron.

I don't know they both had pretty good wins yesterday...

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 01:43 PM
I don't know they both had pretty good wins yesterday...

Merced is an ok win, maybe.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Well we did have a couple burps for sure in execution here and there. But even against lackluster competition, we put up 476 yards a game....and held opposition to 237 yards. Lots of new faces starting as well so it was not exactly a well oiled machine. But we pretty much did what we wanted most of the games. Teams can slow us down here and there but they can't stop us. We haven't been as explosive this year for sure. But we didn't need to be. I am lukewarm on us in a couple areas, but I really like the progression I have seen in the three games so far. Not too worried about ranking at this point. Just got to keep winning and things will sort themselves out.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Your poll should be fluid earlier in the season not mid season xcoffeex.

It is, but by week 5-6, my poll is sound and so should everyone elses.

I could show you my polls from last year and I know I did a solid job since there was almost no fluidity past week 6.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Merced is an ok win, maybe.

Yes, Mercer is an ok win. A good win really. You followed them at all the last couple years. They are a pretty good team. By far I think they have more one score SOCON games (both wins and losses) than anyone else in the conference. Not to mention they have only played two FBS teams since starting up and have fared pretty well in each. I would put them just outside the top still, but they have something going in Macon.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Thanks Sup. Looks like Sagarin is sleeping in today. Still not up. Eh. I only reference it for sanity checks.

Schism55
September 24th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Lol@ people ****ting on Montana St. Have you seen them play?? They have a stud at by far the most important position on the field and a good O line that plays with some attitude.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Lol@ people ****ting on Montana St. Have you seen them play?? They have a stud at by far the most important position on the field and a good O line that plays with some attitude.

A legit Top 5 team doesn't struggle with them and rely on a fake field goal to beat them...

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 02:25 PM
A legit Top 5 team doesn't struggle with them and rely on a fake field goal to beat them...

That's why I don't have them top five xcoffeex

No matter how much you rag on SDSU over that game it doesn't change my opinion on Citadel.

cx500d
September 24th, 2017, 02:25 PM

Did they use our fake field goal play again?

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Btw that terrible Montana State team just hammered that UND team as badly as USeD did, except it was in Grand Forks. Nobody is doing backflips over that game for them though. Personally I think they win the Sky, but I still think that SDSU should have beat them by 3 scores if they are a top 5 team.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 02:30 PM
That's why I don't have them top five xcoffeex

No matter how much you rag on SDSU over that game it doesn't change my opinion on Citadel.

This is America and you are entitled to be just as wrong as you like.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Btw that terrible Montana State team just hammered that UND team as badly as USeD did, except it was in Grand Forks. Nobody is doing backflips over that game for them though. Personally I think they win the Sky, but I still think that SDSU should have beat them by 3 scores if they are a top 5 team.

Good teams win on the road and that is what SDSU did. Not playing for style points. They got the job done. This week's road game will be a really good test for SDSU.

- - - Updated - - -

This is America and you are entitled to be just as wrong as you like.

Where do you think The Citadel should be ranked?

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Good teams win on the road and that is what SDSU did. Not playing for style points. They got the job done. This week's road game will be a really good test for SDSU.

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you think The Citadel should be ranked?

I had them at #11 last week.

SU DOG
September 24th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Samford may or may not should be ranked, but I think there is some underestimating of how good this Western Team really is. Playing well against a FBS and blowing out Gardner Webb, who lost by 3 to Wofford, suggests that these Cats are going to win more this year than most thought. They are balanced between running and passing and their defense might just be getting better. They do tackle well in the open field for sure. If you want to consider us unworthy of a ranking from our season's work thus far, I understand. I don't agree, however, with throwing Samford completely under the bus for a lack of 2 freaking yards yesterday against a team that might be far far better than most realize.

cx500d
September 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I had them at #11 last week.

That was correct, because thats exactly where I had them.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 03:54 PM

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston State
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Youngstown State
7. Western Illinois
8. NC A&T
9. Wofford
10. South Dakota
11. Citadel
12. Illinois State
13. Central Arkansas
14. Eastern Washington
15. New Hampshire
16. Albany
17. Weber State
18. Villanova
19. Richmond
20. Western Carolina
21. Tennessee Martin
22. Montana State
23. Elon
24. Samford
25. McNeese State

No way JMU should be ranked number 1 after struggling against Maine, while NDSU dominates. JMU SOS is also another reason why I wouldn't ranked them No. 1.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 04:43 PM
No way JMU should be ranked number 1 after struggling against Maine, while NDSU dominates. JMU SOS is also another reason why I wouldn't ranked them No. 1.

maine is a fringe Top 25 team and they put them away.

superman7515
September 24th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Yet last year it took weeks for The Citadel to climb when we opened with two Conference games. Hiw is delaware looking?

Not very good; I haven't given them a spot in my poll since September 2012, and I don't expect them to earn a spot this season either. The defense is above average, good but not great, but the offense is still at least a year away from being serviceable, depending on the recruits that come in this off-season. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think that Rocco has the Jimmy's and Joe's to execute the X's and O's this season, and nothing I've seen to this point suggests otherwise.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2017, 04:54 PM
No way JMU should be ranked number 1 after struggling against Maine, while NDSU dominates. JMU SOS is also another reason why I wouldn't ranked them No. 1.OMG, we beat RMU, they suck balls.

DirtyDukes
September 24th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Good thing you're not a voter

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I just manually sent out the emails that came in after quota was used up so if you voted in the last 3 or 4 hrs. your ballot is in your inbox so go look it over.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I just manually sent out the emails that came in after quota was used up so if you voted in the last 3 or 4 hrs. your ballot is in your inbox so go look it over.

Thanks!

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Good thing you're not a voter

But actually I am a voter, but let's say not here. hehehehehe

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Ask Holy Cross who they think is the best team in the Granite State.

:)

I wasn't gonna drop them after a win this week. Just my two pennies worth. These rankings are really a crapshoot until 6 games in or so

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Wofford: Lucked out on 3 wins that should have been bigger than what they were
Albany: I need to see more and Nova looks weak sauce
Weber St: Might be the best team in the Big Sky right now and I just don't see it
CAU: Murray St and SELA, yeah, not right now
UT-Martin: D2, Chatty (Looks awful), UT-State (alright, I might budge on that one)
Elon: Since 2012, only has 1 season where they won 4 games, otherwise, they have 2, 4, 1, 2, 3 win seasons.

So I ask again, can you give me 1 team who should supplant them? Right now, I do not see any team with a better resume to take their place.

I think what's fallacious about this post and this thread in general is that a lot of people are thinking about rankings transitively. There's a lot of uncertainty involved with rankings for the first month or two of the season because not everyone plays an optimal schedule. Rankings are a yardstick and they are really only vindicated in the last weeks/playoffs.

To me, if you look at the top 6, they're all definitely the top 6 in the country, but you can't really differentiate between each outside of (gasp) a playoff. From 7-18 or 20, you have a similar problem. Faced with the alternatives (i.e who else *could* be in these rankings) these teams clearly deserve to be ranked in the 7-20 range, but they don't really have a clear-cut argument of better rank between each other *because* of how few data points we have. So in my case, I just look at quality wins/bad losses, concede it's a snapshot of our best guess right now and not a playoff field. I don't care who you are #20-25 are always the least agreeable rankings because they're typically occupied by teams that have either given evidence that they have quality or that they had quality but are slipping.

Thankfully, these things are done by some abstract math.

milleniumkat
September 24th, 2017, 08:38 PM
I used to think: "I like the FCS way better because there's less season long griping about sos etc since there is a playoff system that solves any argument. So you can just watch and enjoy the games. Regardless of conference disparity, the playoffs will settle everything."

Boy was I wrong.

DirtyDukes
September 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
But actually I am a voter, but let's say not here. hehehehehe

https://imgur.com/okp66FDhttps://imgur.com/okp66FDhttp://memeguy.com/photos/thumbs/mrw-cnn-says-they-have-breaking-news-on-the-missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-96656.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 08:57 PM
I used to think: "I like the FCS way better because there's less season long griping about sos etc since there is a playoff system that solves any argument. So you can just watch and enjoy the games. Regardless of conference disparity, the playoffs will settle everything."

Boy was I wrong.

We can have both...and do. Funny thing is you did make a lot of comments last year about the poll and why your team was the top team and so forth before the playoffs correct? Seems like you might have had ann opinion outside of the playoffs settling it. In that sense, I am not sure you are wrong as you did participate and as such realized there was an argument to be had outside the purity of the playoff settling it.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 09:22 PM
I will run one more manual send on the ballots late tonight...about midnight Mountain so those who have not yet voted today and will be doing so after this post need to checkyour ballots in the early AM and get back to me with any problems or fixes that are requested.

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 09:54 PM
This week sucks. I don't want to rank anyone past 20. I legitimately considered Austin Peay for the last slot on my poll. That's how bad it is.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:57 PM
This week sucks. I don't want to rank anyone past 20. I legitimately considered Austin Peay for the last slot on my poll. That's how bad it is.

What are you talking about? Sammy kicked some major butt by routing No. 23 Nicholls man. JMU struggled against Maine!!!

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 09:59 PM
What are you talking about? Sammy kicked some major butt by routing No. 23 Nicholls man. JMU struggled against Maine!!!

And that affects the last 5 how? JMU and Sammy are both in my top 10.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 10:00 PM
And that affects the last 5 how? JMU and Sammy are both in my top 10.

JMU shouldn't be in your top 10, that is your problem sir

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 10:00 PM

K.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 11:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

This week will tell me whether my ranking was correct or not.

Boy was I wrong.
That'll teach ya

Jesus go pollute some other thread with your bull**** already.

kalm
September 25th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I watched a good chunk of the SDSU-MSU game and it didn't look like a fluke where SDSU was under-performing against an inferior opponent. It looked a battle between two solid teams with playmakers on both sides of the ball. This was vindicated a bit with MSU's win in Grand Forks, albeit against a wounded UND.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Cats finish with 7 wins or more.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2017, 06:47 AM
This week was so harsh on the back end that I had to entertain ranking a team that just lost.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I watched a good chunk of the SDSU-MSU game and it didn't look like a fluke where SDSU was under-performing against an inferior opponent. It looked a battle between two solid teams with playmakers on both sides of the ball. This was vindicated a bit with MSU's win in Grand Forks, albeit against a wounded UND.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Cats finish with 7 wins or more.I want to see MSU win one more game, they could/should probably be a top 25 now but I couldn't pull the trigger on that yet.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 07:22 AM
You still have a few hrs. to get your vote in so if you have not then get on it.

Catatonic
September 25th, 2017, 07:35 AM
You still have a few hrs. to get your vote in so if you have not then get on it.
My vote was in yesterday and I received confirmation.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 08:20 AM
My vote was in yesterday and I received confirmation.

I know, you did not look at said confirmation very closely though.

Hambone
September 25th, 2017, 08:27 AM

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Cats finish with 7 wins or more.

I also watched most of the SDSU/MSU game two weeks ago, and the entire fiasco for my F'Hawks this weekend, and I'm really impressed with the job that Choate has done with them. I think they will compete for the Big Sky title this year.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I also watched most of the SDSU/MSU game two weeks ago, and the entire fiasco for my F'Hawks this weekend, and I'm really impressed with the job that Choate has done with them. I think they will compete for the Big Sky title this year.

+9

milleniumkat
September 26th, 2017, 05:53 PM
We can have both...and do. Funny thing is you did make a lot of comments last year about the poll and why your team was the top team and so forth before the playoffs correct? Seems like you might have had ann opinion outside of the playoffs settling it. In that sense, I am not sure you are wrong as you did participate and as such realized there was an argument to be had outside the purity of the playoff settling it.

Just because i participate doesn't mean i like it. Kind of like taking home that last remaining chick from the pub. It had to be done so i did it. Comprende?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Just because i participate doesn't mean i like it. Kind of like taking home that last remaining chick from the pub. It had to be done so i did it. Comprende?

I'm sure you think that but trust me, you are/were the grenade.