PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-23

JALMOND
September 20th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Enough of playing out of conference, it is now time to start the Big Sky conference season. Everyone plays except for Portland State, and everyone is currently 0-0. Forget about what has happened before, this is when the true season begins. I went 26-8 in the non-conference so I need a perfect Saturday. Here we go, hold on tight.

EWU at UM---Grizzlies breaking in a new quarterback and they have a couple FCS wins at home already. The Eagles finally broke through the win column last weekend and hope to continue the road wins...UM 35, EWU 28.

ISU at UNC---Shocking to say the least was the Bengals win over Nevada last week, giving the conference their only win over the FBS. Meanwhile, the Bears stayed close with Colorado...UNC 25. ISU 21.

MSU at UND---The Bobcats took a week off to prepare for the Hawks who somehow looked flat against South Dakota last week. The road should not bother the Bobcats in this game...MSU 24, UND 17.

NAU at CP---No advantage for either team here as both the Lumberjacks and the Mustangs took last week off. The Lumberjacks may have needed it more, but the Mustangs should hold them off...CP 35, NAU 24.

SUU at SAC---Getting away from the FBS and the Thunderbirds have looked really impressive so far. The Hornets have looked good as well, but only have a win over Incarnate Word to show for it...SUU 28, SAC 21.

UCD at WSU---The two winners from last week's non-conference conference games. The Aggies looked explosive against Portland State while the Wildcats held off Sacramento State. This should be good...WSU 28, UCD 17.

bonarae
September 20th, 2017, 10:17 PM
EWU
UNC
MSU
CP
SUU
WSU

mvemjsunpx
September 20th, 2017, 11:34 PM
NAU 24-35 Cal Poly — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Davis 21-31 Weber — When in doubt, go with the home team…

EWU 30-31 Montana — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Idaho St. 30-35 NoCo — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Montana St. 21-23 NoDak — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Suutah 27-21 Sac State — When in doubt, go with the home team… unless it's Sac State

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 21st, 2017, 12:10 AM
NAU 17-35 Cal Poly

Davis 13-31 Weber

EWU 54-9 Montana

Idaho St. 35-45 NoCo

Montana St. 17-35 NoDak

Suutah 48-24 Sac State

wapiti
September 21st, 2017, 09:38 AM
NAU 24-28 Cal Poly - I am unsure of either team, so I choose the home team.

Davis 24-32 Weber - The BBQ should be home field favorites in this one.

EWU 24-27 Montana - Other than the game against Fordham, EWU has been short of expectations and Montana has played two cupcakes and a top 10 FBS squad. So this game should be telling for both teams.

Idaho St. 30-32 NoCo - ISU has exceeded expectations thus far and I do not have much to measure NC on, other than their FBS game. I predict a close game that may be determined by who has the ball last with at least 1:30 on the clock.

Montana St. 16 -17 NoDak - Is North Dakota only going to be good at home? If so, this could be a tough game for the Cats'

Suutah 24-17 Sac State - This game should tell us much more about each team.

Katfan
September 21st, 2017, 09:30 PM
NAU 24-35 Cal Poly — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Davis 21-31 Weber — When in doubt, go with the home team…

EWU 30-31 Montana — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Idaho St. 30-35 NoCo — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Montana St. 21-23 NoDak — When in doubt, go with the home team…

Suutah 27-21 Sac State — When in doubt, go with the home team… unless it's Sac State
I'm noticing a trend here

Roamingriz
September 21st, 2017, 09:36 PM
I feel that a couple of these could go either way but......

NAU 24- CP 32 - Don't feel like Cal Poly gets as much of a home field advantage as other teams. Wondering about those injuries to WR Butler, the starting tackle and i think it was a starting corner for NAU, but still Poly gets beat by a deep ball down field. So will NAU. But that Mustang ground game, though off and on this year, will put up one more than the visiting lumberjacks whose defense had taken a step back before the injuries.

Davis 21- Weber 28 - This one is a toss up. I would love to see Davis step up and take this one. They feel like a different team this year, but maybe a year behind developmentally from the players from Weber. Maybe its the new Hawkins system. Might be kicking into gear already. But I think the Wildcats are already rolling in that Weber State sort of way sooooo......

EWU 38- Montana 42 - Not convinced by either defense, but these should be pretty decent offenses. EWU would be even better if they had fewer dropped balls. They could get it dialed in at any time though with Gubrud. I give the edge to the Montana D, if and only if those tree trunks on the Offensive line do what they look like they should be able to do and provide half a running lane and give Jensen half a second. I also suspect there will be less of a dropoff from Phillips to Jensen than some think. Looking for a pretty high scoring game.

Idaho St. 24- Northern Colorado 35- This may be an unfair pick to the Bengals, but until they string some wins together I'm not taking the bait. Nevada is not very good, though I like to see Phenicie at the helm of a program and he no doubt has the locker room trending in the right direction. Northern Colorado is tougher this year than they were last year, and Riek is a workhorse of a back that can pad away a win.

Montana St. 24- North Dakota 21- Montana State has been building steadily if slowly. They put up a lot of yards against the Jackrabbits but not a lot of points. Hopefully this one doesn't come down to that awful kicking game, though it sounds like the field goal kicker has been relieved of field goal duty. Couldn't hurt and may be the difference. The Bobcat run D will be tested, but the blue print has been lain down for shutting down that UND offense.

Southern Utah 32- Sacramento State 27- Southern Utah stands out as an obvious pick, but the hornets might be fielding the best team they've had since Saffron was QB. Not world beaters but could sneak up on a couple of teams. They don't look like they will be doormatted here. But Southern Utah looks decent all around this year and i'll take them in a close one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 21st, 2017, 09:44 PM
UND is tough at home. IMO, the boat race Montana State after the embarrassment at USD.

The Pud
September 22nd, 2017, 05:28 AM
I though EWU was suppose to have a solid team this year. What gives? Injuries? New offensive or defensive scheme in place?

Iridebikes
September 22nd, 2017, 07:42 AM
I though EWU was suppose to have a solid team this year. What gives? Injuries? New offensive or defensive scheme in place?

Give it some time. Tough schedule to start with, Texas Tech and NDSU are not SWAC or MEAC level competition. We had a good week last week (maybe even dominating like we should have against Fordham). Entirely new coaching staff on the offensive side, that includes two new offensive coordinators (the last one has only been in place for about six weeks). We also lost our three top receivers, two of which are non NFL 53 man rosters. WE have some experience at wide receiver but not what we had. Its taking the young men a bit to get together. Will learn a lot this weekend in Missoula, I think EWU will win. But with the changes that have taken place on the coaching staff, this could be a 6-5 year.

The Pud
September 22nd, 2017, 08:22 AM
Give it some time. Tough schedule to start with, Texas Tech and NDSU are not SWAC or MEAC level competition. We had a good week last week (maybe even dominating like we should have against Fordham). Entirely new coaching staff on the offensive side, that includes two new offensive coordinators (the last one has only been in place for about six weeks). We also lost our three top receivers, two of which are non NFL 53 man rosters. WE have some experience at wide receiver but not what we had. Its taking the young men a bit to get together. Will learn a lot this weekend in Missoula, I think EWU will win. But with the changes that have taken place on the coaching staff, this could be a 6-5 year.

Thanks for the insights.

jadmt
September 22nd, 2017, 09:21 AM
first post here. it will be a long tough night for the eagles. Jensen is actually really good. Many thought he should have been the starter all along.

nevadagriz
September 22nd, 2017, 09:43 AM

I think if EWU wins and starts hitting stride they go rest of the conference schedule undefeated. I do however think Montana is a better team then many are giving them credit for and pull this one out. Question would be then is how would eagles players and coaches respond to a 1-3 start?
The Griz chances to win this game are greatly improved being it is a early season night game at home. I would not want to face EWU in a couple weeks.

The Pud
September 22nd, 2017, 10:01 AM
I think if EWU wins and starts hitting stride they go rest of the conference schedule undefeated. I do however think Montana is a better team then many are giving them credit for and pull this one out. Question would be then is how would eagles players and coaches respond to a 1-3 start?
The Griz chances to win this game are greatly improved being it is a early season night game at home. I would not want to face EWU in a couple weeks.

will be a fun game to watch!

Catbooster
September 22nd, 2017, 11:13 AM
EWU had lots of changes since last year as others have pointed out. They always seem to have good WR and QB waiting to replace their those who graduate (at least Baldwin always did. It will take a few years to see if the new staff does as well).

With the new staff, they are probably getting off to a slower start as they adjust to the changes. Maybe the new coaches just aren't as good and they are simply down, but I'm inclined to think it's a slow start.

I think the Grizzlies CAN be an improved team this year - they seem to have talent, but I don't think (largely due to their early schedule) they have shown that they ARE an improved team yet. They may deserve more credit than they're getting, but so far I'm not sure they've earned it.

And this may be a bad year to get off to a slow start or be down. So far it appears that a number of the teams are stepping it up this year. I suspect a few of them are going to turn out to be one good game they had and then fall back to where they've been, but which ones?

nevadagriz
September 22nd, 2017, 11:55 AM
EWU had lots of changes since last year as others have pointed out. They always seem to have good WR and QB waiting to replace their those who graduate (at least Baldwin always did. It will take a few years to see if the new staff does as well).

With the new staff, they are probably getting off to a slower start as they adjust to the changes. Maybe the new coaches just aren't as good and they are simply down, but I'm inclined to think it's a slow start.

I think the Grizzlies CAN be an improved team this year - they seem to have talent, but I don't think (largely due to their early schedule) they have shown that they ARE an improved team yet. They may deserve more credit than they're getting, but so far I'm not sure they've earned it.

And this may be a bad year to get off to a slow start or be down. So far it appears that a number of the teams are stepping it up this year. I suspect a few of them are going to turn out to be one good game they had and then fall back to where they've been, but which ones?

I should have worded that differently and said better then people think. They have not earned anything yet.

jadmt
September 22nd, 2017, 01:49 PM
EWU is suffering on the OL and the griz are tough on the DL so that is going to be the difference in the game. I know people might think that the Eagles have a QB advantage I believe on Sunday morning the talk is going to be wow the freshman QB at Montana is really good. Montana also has some beef up front on the OL and not sure the Eagles will be effective like they were last week defensively. Neither team is where they should be but Montana is getting their first. Fortunately Montana has a pretty friendly schedule.

mvemjsunpx
September 22nd, 2017, 02:07 PM
EWU is suffering on the OL and the griz are tough on the DL so that is going to be the difference in the game. I know people might think that the Eagles have a QB advantage I believe on Sunday morning the talk is going to be wow the freshman QB at Montana is really good. Montana also has some beef up front on the OL and not sure the Eagles will be effective like they were last week defensively. Neither team is where they should be but Montana is getting their first. Fortunately Montana has a pretty friendly schedule.

Eastern has the QB advantage, but Montana probably has the RB & WR advantage.

jadmt
September 22nd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Eastern has the QB advantage, but Montana probably has the RB & WR advantage.

Yes I agree, but I think people are going to be surprised that it is not by a large margin and with ewu's hurting OL Gubrud is not going to have great stats come games end.

kalm
September 22nd, 2017, 10:32 PM
Yes I agree, but I think people are going to be surprised that it is not by a large margin and with ewu's hurting OL Gubrud is not going to have great stats come games end.

Yes banged up but Best took a crew with very little experience last year and they blocked for one of the best QB seasons in the history of FCS.

He hasn't lost that ability. The difference lies in play calling which seemed to improve last week.

I'm not informed enough to say with authority whether Gubrud will or will not have great stats tomorrow night but I haven't seen enough from the Griz D to say he won't for sure.

cx500d
September 23rd, 2017, 01:40 PM
Is the UND-Montana State game televised anywhere?

Roamingriz
September 23rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
stream at bigskyconf.com otherwise it is on SWX Montana which is more of a local tv station

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Is the UND-Montana State game televised anywhere?

Pluto TV channel 240. Let me see if I can get a link up.

http://pluto.tv/watch/north-dakota

wapiti
September 23rd, 2017, 05:28 PM
MSU wins 49 21

cx500d
September 23rd, 2017, 09:09 PM
Und sux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JALMOND
September 24th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Enough of playing out of conference, it is now time to start the Big Sky conference season. Everyone plays except for Portland State, and everyone is currently 0-0. Forget about what has happened before, this is when the true season begins. I went 26-8 in the non-conference so I need a perfect Saturday. Here we go, hold on tight.

EWU at UM---Grizzlies breaking in a new quarterback and they have a couple FCS wins at home already. The Eagles finally broke through the win column last weekend and hope to continue the road wins...UM 35, EWU 28.

ISU at UNC---Shocking to say the least was the Bengals win over Nevada last week, giving the conference their only win over the FBS. Meanwhile, the Bears stayed close with Colorado...UNC 25. ISU 21.

MSU at UND---The Bobcats took a week off to prepare for the Hawks who somehow looked flat against South Dakota last week. The road should not bother the Bobcats in this game...MSU 24, UND 17.

NAU at CP---No advantage for either team here as both the Lumberjacks and the Mustangs took last week off. The Lumberjacks may have needed it more, but the Mustangs should hold them off...CP 35, NAU 24.

SUU at SAC---Getting away from the FBS and the Thunderbirds have looked really impressive so far. The Hornets have looked good as well, but only have a win over Incarnate Word to show for it...SUU 28, SAC 21.

UCD at WSU---The two winners from last week's non-conference conference games. The Aggies looked explosive against Portland State while the Wildcats held off Sacramento State. This should be good...WSU 28, UCD 17.

3-3 this week, 29-11 overall. So much for being perfect.

SactoHornetFan
September 24th, 2017, 01:51 AM
3-3 this week, 29-11 overall. So much for being perfect.

Again, our defense is money and you still refuse to see that! For that matter everyone else that disrespected SAC this week!

#StingersUp

JALMOND
September 24th, 2017, 01:56 AM
Again, our defense is money and you still refuse to see that! For that matter everyone else that disrespected SAC this week!

#StingersUp

I believe in the Hornet's D now. I also believe that Weber is really good at home. I also think Chris Murray is the best quarterback in the conference. I would not have even thought about those things at the beginning of the year.

mvemjsunpx
September 24th, 2017, 04:36 AM

Disrespecting Sac State does historically have a pretty good track record. xcoffeex

SactoHornetFan
September 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Disrespecting Sac State does historically have a pretty good track record. xcoffeex

Thats the past...like Garth says: Live in the now!

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 24th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I believe in the Hornet's D now. I also believe that Weber is really good at home. I also think Chris Murray is the best quarterback in the conference. I would not have even thought about those things at the beginning of the year.Murray is the best RB in the conference........

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk