PDA

View Full Version : Furman vs Colgate. Quick question for Colgate fans.

gofurman
September 19th, 2017, 09:56 PM
What do you all do best? Throw, run ? What Do you defend best? The run or pass? Any key injuries?

we have lost three starting linebackers !!! That sucketh.

When on D we generally stop the run much better than the pass. Not much pass rush to speak of. We allow a lot of passing yards when we are on D. Our O is pretty good at running the ball.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 11:15 PM
On offense, we probably run best. We have two inexperienced quarterbacks who are still getting a comfort level in the passing game.

On defense, we stop the run better than the pass.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 11:18 PM
With two teams as run-oriented as we are, this could be a quick game reminiscent of the old days.

gofurman
September 19th, 2017, 11:26 PM
With two teams as run-oriented as we are, this could be a quick game reminiscent of the old days.

Agree. Are Afriyie, Williams, Castillo and Hunt out for this game ??*
That's a lot of defensive strength to be missing.

citdog
September 19th, 2017, 11:30 PM
furman sucks

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM

I believe they are as of now.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2017, 05:21 AM

I think Furman has sort of been mislabeled along with these SoCon option teams. They are definitely "run-first," but they throw it a lot more than teams like Wofford or the Citadel.

Furman is averaging 183 a game on the ground and 186 passing. The last two weeks Furman has had two 70+ yard touchdown passes. We'll run the ball at you and then throw in a good bit of play action and backfield motion that has, at least to this point, managed to confuse defenses.

gofurman
September 20th, 2017, 09:30 AM
furman sucks

call me when you win a national title.. or appear in the championship game 3 times. I think we are what, 20 games ahead in the total series?? It's not even close

Colgate Raider Redux
September 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM
No. Williams and Hunt are back. However, the lead back in the 3 running back tandem, James Holland is out for the game. Whether the other two ( a frosh and and a soph ) can take up the slick remains to be seen ?

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2017, 10:11 AM
No. Williams and Hunt are back. However, the lead back in the 3 running back tandem, James Holland is out for the game. Whether the other two ( a frosh and and a soph ) can take up the slick remains to be seen ?

Well, if it makes you feel better, our two starting inside linebackers are out for this one too.

I think this game will come down to Furman's offense. The Paladins are constantly showing improvement in the new offensive system and have some really dynamic players. They have struggled with inconsistency, which exposes the team's biggest weakness - defensive depth. The last thing Furman wants to do is go trade body blows with a physical team like Colgate. Furman is going to want to get out and run against the Raider defense.

I expect early on Furman will test the Colgate defense on whether they have anyone that can run with Gordon and Morehead.

Colgate Raider Redux
September 20th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Well, if it makes you feel better, our two starting inside linebackers are out for this one too.

I think this game will come down to Furman's offense. The Paladins are constantly showing improvement in the new offensive system and have some really dynamic players. They have struggled with inconsistency, which exposes the team's biggest weakness - defensive depth. The last thing Furman wants to do is go trade body blows with a physical team like Colgate. Furman is going to want to get out and run against the Raider defense.

I expect early on Furman will test the Colgate defense on whether they have anyone that can run with Gordon and Morehead.

With the graduation of 3 year qb and the gang supporting him ( this group beat UNH & JMU in the 2015 FCS playoffs ) transition-rebuilding was to be the theme this season. Colgate led the FCS in running defense last year. So, it was surprising, in the Cal Poly and Richmond games, that the running D remained as strg as last year.. The running D and grind-it-out read option run first offense are Colgate trademarks. DE Alfriyie's loss after the Cal Poly game is significant. But, even without him, this front 3-4 D plays with a lot of pride. The four DB's haven't convinced me they are as solid.

On O, the loss of running back James Holland after the Buffalo game is significant because he runs so low to the ground and consistently burrows out what look like 2 yard gains into 4 yard gains. He's the lead back in a rotating 3 man group at this position. The other two ( a frosh and soph ) have played consistently this year, but will have to prove they can carry a bigger load. The big unknown for everybody is what the progression of frosh qb Grant Breneman will look like this week. He operates the read option well and is the rushing leader on the team because of his elusiveness, out of the read and in passing downs. He is yet to demonstrate accurate passing which surprises the D and keeps the 'gate clock-eating-long-running-drives from being suppressed. He has the receivers. But they haven't gotten in sync yet. So, this is a work in progress.

citdog
September 20th, 2017, 10:52 AM
call me when you win a national title.. or appear in the championship game 3 times. I think we are what, 20 games ahead in the total series?? It's not even close

Now you lose to Elon and probably a patsy league team this week.

ColgateTD
September 22nd, 2017, 09:47 PM
Looking for a hot day at the KerrDome tomorrow, perhaps something in Furman's favor. Could reach into the 80s by game time.....clear sunny sky, no rain predicted. Should be a fast track for the running and passing games.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2017, 02:04 AM
Hope a good crowd comes out - first full day of Fall and 80 degrees in Hamilton. Nice setting for a football game. Leaves should be just beginning to change.

CFBfan
September 23rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
what a pathetic performance so far

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
The Baptists have totally immersed Colgate so far.

CFBfan
September 23rd, 2017, 01:21 PM
The Baptists have totally immersed Colgate so far.

gate is embarrassing itself today, they look worse each week

Schism55
September 23rd, 2017, 01:56 PM
Colgate wtf >.>

ColgateTD
September 23rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
Ugly. Can't watch it anymore. Going back to my desk to pay bills....

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2017, 07:58 PM
Never thought it would be this lopsided.