PDA

View Full Version : STATS stats biased against Ivy League

World
September 18th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Since the Ivy League doesn't start the season until the 3rd week, stats for teams and players should be reviewed on a per game basis when compared to other teams

here are the Passing FCS stats from STATS:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/leaders.asp?lg=999&cat=6

Oh look, they fail to include the per game passing yardage and only show the total passing yards

Same with receptions per game...no where to be found

what's up with that?

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I see it the same way I see the Ivies when it comes to their relevance in the regular season rankings. If they're going to voluntarily marginalize themselves by not participating in the playoffs or not playing any games until week 3 they shouldn't be shocked when other's marginalize them as well.

In other words... play using the same schedule constraints (or lack thereof) that the lowly peasant schools that the Ivies so gracious call subdivision-mates play by or don't complain.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2017, 05:13 PM
I see it the same way I see the Ivies when it comes to their relevance in the regular season rankings. If they're going to voluntarily marginalize themselves by not participating in the playoffs or not playing any games until week 3 they shouldn't be shocked when other's marginalize them as well.

In other words... play using the same schedule constraints (or lack thereof) that the lowly peasant schools that the Ivies so gracious call subdivision-mates play by or don't complain.

Agree, stop asking for special treatment and additional crap to make it all better for you if the group wants to play by different rules then expect different results based on your (Ivy) decisions and live with it.

World
September 18th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Agree, stop asking for special treatment and additional crap to make it all better for you if the group wants to play by different rules then expect different results based on your (Ivy) decisions and live with it.

"Special Treatment"?

You mean as in measuring quarterbacks using Yards per game versus just using Total Yards Passing?

That kind of "Special Treatment"?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2017, 05:18 PM
"Special Treatment"?

You mean as in measuring quarterbacks using Yards per game versus just using Total Yards Passing?

Yes, that kind.

Serpentor
September 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM
"Special Treatment"?

Dude, seriously, don't. Your teams never leave New England. Blueblood twerps playing each other isn't going to impress anyone.

Play some OOC team in the MVFC, CAA or Southern before you demand some respect.

TheRevSFA
September 18th, 2017, 05:24 PM
My God what a bunch of spoiled brats

cx500d
September 18th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Sheesh....I also won't include them in poll for similar reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Y'all don't take football seriously so why should anyone take y'all seriously?

mvemjsunpx
September 18th, 2017, 05:50 PM

Stats should be listed per game regardless of when the Ivy League starts. Gross stats just aren't real useful, especially since teams have byes at different times.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Stats should be listed per game regardless of when the Ivy League starts. Gross stats just aren't real useful, especially since teams have byes at different times.

Oh shut up mvem we're trying to have some fun here! xlolx

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 06:00 PM
What do we want?
"All Gender Restrooms in Ivy League Stadiums!"

When do we want them?
"By Week 3 I mean Week 1!"

centennial
September 18th, 2017, 06:01 PM
NDSU has some open dates. Harvard you are up. I know what will happen though, get blown out then pull NDSU's US News rankings and call us country bumpkins. Or make fun of the majors of football players. I even saw Richmond fans do it a couple of years ago.

Either step up or shut up. Or at least go knock off a few MAC schools.

mvemjsunpx
September 18th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Oh shut up mvem we're trying to have some fun here! xlolx

Oh, I know. And don't get me started on how stupid the Ivy League's no-playoff policy is.

Still… I would expect a site called "STATS" to do a better job with how they list, you know, stats. Statistics almost seem like an afterthought there.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Oh, I know. And don't get me started on how stupid the Ivy League's no-playoff policy is.

Still… I would expect a site called "STATS" to do a better job with how they list, you know, stats. Statistics almost seem like an afterthought there.

:Dxthumbsupx

Catbooster
September 18th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I agree that it would be more useful to include per game stats, but to blame it on a bias against the Ivies?

bonarae
September 18th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Wow. STATS after all is pro-FCS, but to treat the Ivies like that is disgraceful. xsmhx

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Wow. STATS after all is pro-FCS, but to treat the Ivies like that is disgraceful. xsmhx

Why don't y'all get with the program?

Bison56
September 18th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Since the Ivy League doesn't start the season until the 3rd week, stats for teams and players should be reviewed on a per game basis when compared to other teams

here are the Passing FCS stats from STATS:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/leaders.asp?lg=999&cat=6

Oh look, they fail to include the per game passing yardage and only show the total passing yards

Same with receptions per game...no where to be found

what's up with that?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26058&stc=1

kalm
September 18th, 2017, 07:20 PM

They're treating everyone the same.

The Harvard of the Palouse plays a full schedule...

Thumper 76
September 18th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Well if they want the accolades everyone else gets maybe they should participate with everyone else.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Well if they want the accolades everyone else gets maybe they should participate with everyone else.

The Ivy League are a bunch of segregationists.

Son of Eli
September 18th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Dude, seriously, don't. Your teams never leave New England. Blueblood twerps playing each other isn't going to impress anyone.

Play some OOC team in the MVFC, CAA or Southern before you demand some respect.

First of all, I'd like to state that I wholeheartedly agree with the posters on this thread that the Ivy League should adopt an eleven game schedule and that they should participate in the FCS playoffs.

Having said that I would like to clear up some inaccuracies here. The Ivy League does play the CAA and does quite well against them. Over the last 5 years the Ivy League holds a 10-7 record against the CAA as follows:

2016 3-1
2015 4-0
2014 1-3
2013 1-1
2012 1-2

The Ivy League also plays many games outside of New England. You may need a geography lesson, but the Ivy League's main scheduling partner, the Patriot League, has only one school in New England. Furthermore, Yale has played Cal Poly in 2013 (won) and is scheduled to play a four game series against Mercer and a two game series against Richmond. Penn has played William & Mary recently and Princeton has recently played the Citadel, just to name a few more examples.

Finally, the Ivy League's generous financial aid policies make the football teams anything but "blue blood twerps." It's why the Ivy League regularly out recruits the rest of the FCS.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 09:27 PM
First of all, I'd like to state that I wholeheartedly agree with the posters on this thread that the Ivy League should adopt an eleven game schedule and that they should participate in the FCS playoffs.

Having said that I would like to clear up some inaccuracies here. The Ivy League does play the CAA and does quite well against them. Over the last 5 years the Ivy League holds a 10-6 record against the CAA as follows:

2016 3-1
2015 4-0
2014 1-3
2013 1-1
2012 1-2

The Ivy League also plays many games outside of New England. You may need a geography lesson, but the Ivy League's main scheduling partner, the Patriot League, has only one school in New England. Furthermore, Yale as played Cal Poly in 2013 (won) and is scheduled to play a four game series against Mercer and a two game series against Richmond. Penn has played William & Mary recently and Princeton has recently played the Citadel, just to name a few more examples.

Finally, the Ivy League's generous financial aid policies make the football teams anything but "blue blood" twerps. It's why the Ivy League regularly out recruits the rest of the FCS.

Those CAA teams were all named Rhode Island...

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2017, 09:28 PM
They're treating everyone the same.

The Harvard of the Palouse plays a full schedule...

Towson?

Son of Eli
September 18th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Those CAA teams were all named Rhode Island...

Wrong. They also include victories over New Hampshire, Villanova, Maine and Towson.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Wrong. They also include victories over New Hampshire, Villanova, Maine and Towson.

Ohhhhhh not TOWSON and MAINE!!!

I was at both Princeton games. Was NOT impressed.

World
September 18th, 2017, 09:55 PM

Fully agree

Also some players might miss a game or two due to injuries

Son of Eli
September 18th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Fully agree

One can't logically argue against your point World. Hence the ad hominem attacks.

World
September 18th, 2017, 10:04 PM
One can't logically argue against your point World. Hence the ad hominem attacks.

Next thing you know, they will argue against the fact that the Ivy League has 5 out of the top 10 capacity stadiums for football in FCS

Serpentor
September 18th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Next thing you know, they will argue against the fact that the Ivy League has 5 out of the top 10 capacity stadiums for football in FCS

They were also built back in the early 1900s when Ivy League teams still competed for national championships.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 10:23 PM

Ivy League football sucks and y'all are a bunch of them, they, ourses and EVERYBODY knows it. Including Y'ALL. Why else would you segregate yourselves?

Son of Eli
September 18th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Ivy League football sucks and y'all are a bunch of them, they, ourses and EVERYBODY knows it. Including Y'ALL. Why else would you segregate yourselves?

If Ivy League Football "sucks", as you say, how do you explain this:

"Harvard leads all FCS programs with nine former players on NFL Opening Day rosters while Delaware, Illinois State and NDSU all have seven players in the league. Nevada, Northern Iowa and Portland State have six players while dozens of other schools have players sprinkled throughout the league."

Bisonoline
September 18th, 2017, 10:42 PM

They should have bigger stadiums as they used to play with the big boys-----alooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago and they were the only game in town.

cx500d
September 18th, 2017, 10:42 PM

"Harvard leads all FCS programs with nine former players on NFL Opening Day rosters while Delaware, Illinois State and NDSU all have seven players in the league. Nevada, Northern Iowa and Portland State have six players while dozens of other schools have players sprinkled throughout the league."

They have better longevity due to playing in the powder puff flag football league

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 10:43 PM

Yay! Your teams stink. That's why you segregate yourselves.

Son of Eli
September 18th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Ohhhhhh not TOWSON and MAINE!!!

I was at both Princeton games. Was NOT impressed.

After the disgraceful way the Citadel treated the Princeton Band I doubt very much that any Ivy League team will ever play the Citadel again.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/paper-trail/2008/09/24/princeton-band-provokes-angry-citadel-response

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lSkyuyhrqQ

BisonFan02
September 19th, 2017, 12:01 AM
After the disgraceful way the Citadel treated the Princeton Band I doubt very much that any Ivy League team will play the Citadel again.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/paper-trail/2008/09/24/princeton-band-provokes-angry-citadel-response

I'm on The Citadel's side there. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2017, 12:16 AM
After the disgraceful way the Citadel treated the Princeton Band I doubt very much that any Ivy League team will play the Citadel again.

I don't see anything wrong with this video.

Son of Eli
September 19th, 2017, 12:16 AM
I'm on The Citadel's side there. xlolx

Yeah. A bunch of real confederate tough guys. I guess we're fortunate they didn't drive a car through the band.

BisonFan02
September 19th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Yeah. A bunch of confederate real tough guys. I guess we're fortunate they didn't drive a car through the band.

Wasn't he from Ohio?

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2017, 12:49 AM
Yeah. A bunch of real confederate tough guys. I guess we're fortunate they didn't drive a car through the band.

If you are going to act like douchebags you should expect to be treated as such.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 02:13 AM

Play some OOC team in the MVFC, CAA or Southern before you demand some respect. Or resume playing Patriot League teams (like Colgate) that many of the Ivies will not play any more.

FIFY.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 02:17 AM

Having said that I would like to clear up some inaccuracies here. The Ivy League does play the CAA and does quite well against them. Over the last 5 years the Ivy League holds a 10-7 record against the CAA as follows:

2016 3-1
2015 4-0
2014 1-3
2013 1-1
2012 1-2

The Ivy League also plays many games outside of New England. You may need a geography lesson, but the Ivy League's main scheduling partner, the Patriot League, has only one school in New England. Furthermore, Yale has played Cal Poly in 2013 (won) and is scheduled to play a four game series against Mercer and a two game series against Richmond. Penn has played William & Mary recently and Princeton has recently played the Citadel, just to name a few more examples.

Finally, the Ivy League's generous financial aid policies make the football teams anything but "blue blood twerps." It's why the Ivy League regularly out recruits the rest of the FCS.

And Yale, like Cornell, continues to play Colgate.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 02:29 AM
They were also built back in the early 1900s when Ivy League teams still competed for national championships.

Actually, Columbia's Wien Stadium (17,000 capacity) was completed in 1986, Princeton Stadium (27,000 capacity) was built in 1998, and Franklin Field and Harvard Stadium have recently received significant renovations and freshening at substantial cost.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 06:30 AM
well, Ivy and SWAC do not participate in playoffs, so why rank them is my take on the matter

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Uh...

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Uh...

In other words, they do not compete in playoffs, so there is no real measuring stick on which to formulate a sound decision on ranking is my guess why there is this biase towards IVY league and Swac conference

Serpentor
September 19th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I feel like this thread is some theater arts major's performance art piece...

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 07:43 AM

+8

hahahaha! so true!

walliver
September 19th, 2017, 08:12 AM
If you are going to list stats on a per game basis, then maybe you should exclude all stats against FBS, D2, NAIA, start-up programs, and Pioneer games.

Including stats from the playoffs also skews the numbers and those numbers should be excluded - a good player on a playoff team may have better numbers than a great player on a non-playoff team.

walliver
September 19th, 2017, 08:25 AM
After the disgraceful way the Citadel treated the Princeton Band I doubt very much that any Ivy League team will ever play the Citadel again.

From the article:

Such a show of contempt deserved to be booed even by an objective audience. Their show, which included band members humping each other on the field, crossed several lines of respect and decency. ...
The entire Corps of Cadets should be given a medal for standing up for their school.
The Princeton Band, meanwhile, should be ashamed. All those pseudo-intellectuals and not a single brain among them.

citdog
September 19th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Those pencil neck yankee geeks REALLY know how apologize.

1:25 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfXFbekqLY&t=113s

kalm
September 19th, 2017, 11:59 AM
If you are going to list stats on a per game basis, then maybe you should exclude all stats against FBS, D2, NAIA, start-up programs, and Pioneer games.

Including stats from the playoffs also skews the numbers and those numbers should be excluded - a good player on a playoff team may have better numbers than a great player on a non-playoff team.

Great points. How would Ivy stats be opening up with one of our typical Septembers?

Sandlapper Spike
September 19th, 2017, 12:04 PM
While I'm not really into these chest-beating type situations nor do I wrap myself in the Confederate flag, I have to be honest here: Princeton's band deserved all the abuse it received and then some. As a group, they were disrespectful to the extreme, even by the standards of scramble bands.

The real tragedy, of course, is that a wind instrument had to be sacrificed in the on-campus fracas...

I might suggest that the Princeton band playing "Dixie" at halftime of the game in New Jersey was an example of somebody not really getting it, but whatever.

Incidentally, I also attended both games. There wasn't much question which team was better (and arguably better coached), though Princeton running back Jordan Culbreath could have played for just about any FCS squad.

OhioHen
September 19th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Fully agree

And the Heisman trophy goes to random running back who averaged 327 yards from scrimmage per game!

Oh, wait - you mean he only played ONE game?!?

OhioHen
September 19th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Franklin Field recently received significant renovations and freshening at substantial cost.

Those renovations were so it won't fall apart under all the dancing Jamaicans during the Penn Relays in April.

mvemjsunpx
September 19th, 2017, 02:03 PM
And the Heisman trophy goes to random running back who averaged 327 yards from scrimmage per game!

Oh, wait - you mean he only played ONE game?!?

xrolleyesx

Conference/NCAA rules require someone to have played in at least 3/4 of their team's games to rank in any stat.

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2017, 03:35 PM

xlolx

World
September 19th, 2017, 04:00 PM
If you are going to act like douchebags you should expect to be treated as such.

ha!

a lowly person from trade school North Dakota State calling Ivy Leaguers douchbags

BisonFan02
September 19th, 2017, 04:03 PM
ha!

a lowly person from trade school North Dakota State calling Ivy Leaguers douchbags

D'ok. xlolx

World
September 19th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Good point

you mean like games against Division II Newberry College this year?

who in the world plays Newberry and expects for people to take their football program seriously?

Bison56
September 19th, 2017, 04:48 PM
ha!

And there it is.

cx500d
September 19th, 2017, 04:54 PM
ha!

One would think an Ivy Leaguer could spell douchebag, but then again, they tend to be coddled little ****s more schooled in things like white privilege, women's studies, african-american studies, hispanic studies, art history, and other gems of contribution to our nations economy.

citdog
September 19th, 2017, 05:18 PM
ha!

That's why EVERYONE wishes you would go to DIII where your football belongs.

citdog
September 19th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Good point

you mean like games against Division II Newberry College this year?

who in the world plays Newberry and expects for people to take their football program seriously?

The voters for the Top 25 that's who. The Citadel is #10 in the country presently. Newberry is 17pts better than princeton.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Princeton started the conflict with their rudeness and disrespect to the Citadel's traditions.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Why should they change the system for one group? I know at the Ivy League schools that you feed the crying baby bird when it weeps but the real world is different.

Serpentor
September 19th, 2017, 09:43 PM
ha!

I bet his monocle popped out of his eye and landed in his champagne while he typed that.

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I bet his monocle popped out of his eye and landed in his champagne while he typed that.

must spread rep

Go...gate
September 19th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Princeton started the conflict with their rudeness and disrespect to the Citadel's traditions.

Yes. Reminiscent of when they were banned from West Point in 1981.

"The Band" is a Princeton tradition that became very tired long ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/11/nyregion/west-point-orders-princeton-to-keep-ba-nd-off-its-gridiron.html?mcubz=1

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2017, 11:27 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/11/nyregion/west-point-orders-princeton-to-keep-ba-nd-off-its-gridiron.html?mcubz=1

I think Stanfords band pulls the same crap.

TheRevSFA
September 20th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Princeton was my safety school....

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM
It is funny that if this was just worded that you cannot get per game stats on STATS this wouldn't have been a big deal.

Instead you have to troll by adding the Ivies in just to get people riled up.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 20th, 2017, 04:48 PM

There is a difference between good natured teasing and jerk behavior. Princeton band has yet to learn that.