PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Western Illinois Schedule

leatherneck177
February 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
August 30th: South Dakota State.

September 8th: @ Illinois.

September 15th: St. Francis.

Sepember 22nd: @ Stephen F. Austin.

September 29th: North Dakota State. (Homecoming)

October 6th: @ Indiana State.

October 13th: Missouri State. (Hall of Fame Weekend)

October 20th: Northern Iowa. (Family Weekend)

October 27th: @ Illinois State.

November 3rd: Southern Illinois. (Ag Day)

November 10th: @ Youngstown State.

Go...gate
February 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
St. Francis (PA)?

Go Bison
February 5th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Nice to see North Dakota State on your schedule. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come for many years.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Can't wait for WIU and SHSU to resume our series in 2009! :)

BigApp
February 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
St. Francis (PA)?

regardless of which SF, it certainly seems an odd pairing, no?

BobbyMo
February 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
It could be St. Francis PA i guess, but i am with you App, would be very strange anyway. I know they played Morehead State a couple years ago, but I do not think they usually travel far for OOC games (could be wrong). Travel aside, a not so great NEC team playing a Gateway team? Odd indeed.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
There are St Francis teams in IN and IL that are NAIA.

leatherneck177
February 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Without being absolutely sure, I'm willing to bet that it is St. Francis, NAIA school in Illinois.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM
After looking at basketball standings today in the newspaper, I've got a question for you Leatherneck177 or anybody else familiar with WIU. How did Western Illinois end up in the Mid-Continent Conference???????

After seeing the Gateway line-up these past few years, it amazed me where I saw you guys were for hoop. And I assume that means you're also there for the rest of your sports.

Obviously, more of your football partners are in the Missouri Valley. But that's a tough party to crash!! Frankly, I can see why there are rumors about WIU joining EIU in the Ohio Valley. At least you'd be in an all sports league with football peers as well as one state rival in that league.

Thanks in advance for my history lesson today and sorry for the tangent!

MSUBear42
February 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Can't wait for WIU and SHSU to resume our series in 2009! :)

Is this the last year in the MO State/SHSU series?? :bawling:

RabidRabbit
February 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
After looking at basketball standings today in the newspaper, I've got a question for you Leatherneck177 or anybody else familiar with WIU. How did Western Illinois end up in the Mid-Continent Conference???????

After seeing the Gateway line-up these past few years, it amazed me where I saw you guys were for hoop. And I assume that means you're also there for the rest of your sports.

Obviously, more of your football partners are in the Missouri Valley. But that's a tough party to crash!! Frankly, I can see why there are rumors about WIU joining EIU in the Ohio Valley. At least you'd be in an all sports league with football peers as well as one state rival in that league.

WIU was a founding school in both the Gateway, and the Mid-Con. IF the Gateway accepts NDSU/SDSU into the FB conference, then WIU will be one of 3 Mid-Con schools in the Gateway.

BearsCountry
February 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM

When WIU joined the Mid-Con, MSU, UNI, and EIU were all members in fact they were founding members. MSU and UNI got the good offer to join the Valley, while EIU deceided they couldnt compete in the Gateway so they joined the OVC.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
When WIU joined the Mid-Con, MSU, UNI, and EIU were all members in fact they were founding members. MSU and UNI got the good offer to join the Valley, while EIU deceided they couldnt compete in the Gateway so they joined the OVC.

Thanks! Seeing that EIU, MSU and UNI were all in the Mid-Con explains a lot. And I forgot that NDSU and SDSU were joining.

So, is the big question whether the Dakotas will have enough of a tie to keep WIU on board or will the EIU connection into an all sports league with football peers be a greater pull?

crunifan
February 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I wonder why the MVC decided to pick up then SMS and UNI when they did. UNI for sure was NOT a good basketball school. They must have seen the potential. Missouri State and UNI have more than proven it was a good choice!

BearsCountry
February 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I wonder why the MVC decided to pick up then SMS and UNI when they did. UNI for sure was NOT a good basketball school. They must have seen the potential. Missouri State and UNI have more than proven it was a good choice!

Well at that time, MSU was tearing up the Mid-Con in basketball. That is when we made all of our NCAA apperances save 2. UNI was coming off their NCAA tourny when they knocked off Mizzou. UNI was a move for potential I say at that time, MSU was more of a sure bet.

Now looking at 2007 season coming up I see two schools that look very similar to MSU and UNI. NDSU and SDSU have the same potential to be as good as MSU and UNI IMO. Give them 10 years in the Mid-Con and I think they will be MVC ready.

Superneck
March 8th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Without being absolutely sure, I'm willing to bet that it is St. Francis, NAIA school in Illinois.

it is definitely the NAIA University of St. Francis fron Joliet, IL. As I happen to teach right next door to the University, I am continually amazed that this team only ever manages 1-3 win seasons in a community that boasts 3 of the perennial state powers in high school football. Not surprised though by this scheduling coming off a week where the 'Necks have to travel to Illinois.

Go...gate
March 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Good luck to the WIU Leathernecks in '07!

I learned all I need to know about how good, tough and classy a program you guys have back in that December '03 game in Hamilton.

You definitely added some fans that day from central New York State.