PDA

View Full Version : The ICON's James "Shack" Harris and Doug Williams featured in book

MACHIAVELLI
February 5th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Black quarterbacks turn the page
New ESPN book chronicles struggles that led to future success
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

The timing couldn't have been better.
ESPN Books issues “Third and a Mile,” focusing on black NFL quarterbacks like Grambling products James “Shack” Harris and Doug Williams. And it happens just as two African-Americans advance to the Super Bowl as head coaches for the first time ever.

That’s given these two local heroes a chance to reflect, even as they continue to marvel at how far they’ve come.

Williams and Harris shared storylines (from Grambling to pro starter to NFL front office) and a college mentor in Eddie Robinson. It’s kindled a shared admiration.

“I’ve got so much respect for ‘Shack’ as a person, because I know what he had to go through,” Williams said. “‘Shack’ never talked about those things, though. The only thing he ever did with me was say: ‘If you can throw at Grambling, you can throw in the league.’”

Black Third and a Mile (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070205/SPORTS/702050334)

Go...gate
February 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM
James Harris never got the chance he deserved. He had a fine '74 with the Rams and somehow there was a QB controversy in '75 and he lost out to Ron Jaworski, who IMHO was not nearly as good as Harris. Harris had a graceful throwing style and good touch. I still remember his TD pass to beat Minnesota at the Coliseum in a late match-up of top NFC clubs in November '74. A beautiful floater just beyond DT Carl Eller and just over DB Bobby Bryant to, AIR, Los Angeles TE Bob Klein.

HIU 93
February 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Black quarterbacks turn the page
New ESPN book chronicles struggles that led to future success
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

The timing couldn't have been better.
ESPN Books issues “Third and a Mile,” focusing on black NFL quarterbacks like Grambling products James “Shack” Harris and Doug Williams. And it happens just as two African-Americans advance to the Super Bowl as head coaches for the first time ever.

I bought this book last week and it is EXCELLENT!!!!!