PDA

View Full Version : Early Conference Predictions

Panthers_Blue
February 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Let's talk your early conference predictions. Rank 'em then tell why.

Panthers_Blue
February 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM
OVC

Eastern Illinois
UT Martin
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Tennessee Tech
Tennessee State
SE Missouri State
Murray State
Samford

mainejeff
February 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
CAA:

North

1. UMass
2. UNH
3. Northeastern
4. Hofstra
5. URI
6. Maine

South

1. JMU
2. Richmond
3. Towson
4. William & Mary
5. Delaware
6. Villanova

CCU97
February 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Big South

Coastal Carolina
Liberty
Garner-Webb
VMI
Chuck South

Even though Liberty will be much improved I believe Coastal will shock everyone in the conference and regroup after lossing their first Sr. class...They've recruited players that will fill the gaps and also provide depth.

NDSUFREAK
February 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great West
1. North Dakota State (Coming back with a lot of new and old talent that might be better than last year.)
2. Cal Poly (James Noble and their Defense.)
3. South Dakota State (Getting the max scholars will help, but the last game of the year will be a loss to drop them to 3rd.;) )
4. UC Davis (Tough to tell with this team and how they lost huge leads late. See the Dakotas...)
5. Southern Utah (Their team is becoming better than it has, but the top 4 are too tough for them.)

slycat
February 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Southland

1. McNeese St - great team coming back
2. Sam Houston St - intersting qb starting no DD terry though
3. Texas St - great qb and rb but new coach and questionable defense
4. SELA - sleeper team and lucas is back
5. NWST - starting to move back to top
6. Nicholls St - im thinking i have them too low but dont where else to put them yet.
7. SFA - weak last year and now new coaching staff
8. Central Arkansas - new to southland and loss of senoirs

its early so im sure ill change this.

Jackluv
February 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
the top 4 could go any way but im saying
1. montana - no surprise
2. msu/psu - msu and psu will always be decent
3. nau - only lose murrietta but thats a big loss
4. sac - new coach , new philosophy
5. weber - inconsistent last year
6. isu - hope to start new from last years bad season
7. eastern - they are falling off i think
8. unc - wont be good for a while

DTSpider
February 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Rank 'em then tell why.

Apparently that didn't translate well...:D

It's too early for me to even guess on the CAA, but if I had to say top 3 in each division I'd go with UNH, UMass & Northeastern (North) and JMU, UD & UR (homer :nod: ) (South).

patssle
February 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Southland

6. Nicholls St - im thinking i have them too low but dont where else to put them yet.

Good listing, except I think SHSU and McNeese will tie for 1st place.

PapaBear
February 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
CAA:

North

1. UMass
2. UNH
3. Northeastern
4. Hofstra
5. URI
6. Maine

South

1. JMU
2. Richmond
3. Towson
4. William & Mary
5. Delaware
6. Villanova

A meltdown in the making? Do tell, MJ.

slostang
February 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Great West
1. North Dakota State (Coming back with a lot of new and old talent that might be better than last year.)
3. South Dakota State (Getting the max scholars will help, but the last game of the year will be a loss to drop them to 3rd.;) )
4. UC Davis (Tough to tell with this team and how they lost huge leads late. See the Dakotas...)
5. Southern Utah (Their team is becoming better than it has, but the top 4 are too tough for them.)
I think that NDSU goes in as the front runner, but I think any of the top four teams have a legit shot at it and SUU may surprise a few teams.

89Hen
February 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'm having a real tough time with the CAA (which is normal). At least last year it was fairly clear that UNH, UMass and JMU would be near the top. This year, I really don't know who stands out. First draft...

North
1. UNH - Santos is still there even though Ball isn't
2. UMass - Gone is Baylark, London, Ihedigbo, Belton, Anderson... but should be a factor
3. Hofstra - They just can't get over the hump
4. Maine - Whitcomb and King will be tough to replace
5. Northeastern - They're NU
6. URI - Stowers last year

South
1. Delaware - High power offense and enough transfers on D
2. Towson - Scheafer will be the top QB this year, even better than Santos. TU is quickly becoming a great program.
3. JMU - Rascati will be a big loss IMO, but who knows who is waiting in the wings.
4. W&M - They've got to stop the run if they want to improve (101st last year).
5. Villanova - What Tutt was for UR, Burroughs was for VU
6. Richmond - Watch out for Tim Hightower, stop him and you beat the Spiders.

Before anyone calls me a homer, remember that I didn't have the Hens ranked a single week last year. ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The PL seems like it will likely come down to Lehigh and Lafayette again this year. I think HC has passed Colgate right now. League record in ()

1. Lehigh (6-1)
2. Lafayette (6-1)
3. Holy Cross (4-2)
4. Colgate (3-3)
5. Bucknell (2-4)
6. Georgetown (1-5)
7. Fordham (1-5)

th0m
February 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm having a real tough time with the CAA (which is normal). At least last year it was fairly clear that UNH, UMass and JMU would be near the top. This year, I really don't know who stands out. First draft...

Yep, certainly agree. The South more so than the North I think. I think in the North Northeastern will go up a few spots, their rough schedule last year didn't represent what kind of team they really had imo.

The fact that Jeff has us at #1 in the South is kind of our kiss of death xlolx, well, there's always 2008 :bawling:

FargoBison
February 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Great West
1.NDSU- Walker returns for his final year and both the offense and defense should be very solid.
2.Cal Poly- Noble comes back and it seems like they just reload their defense every year so I don't think losing Shotwell will hurt that much.
3.SDSU- They lose Kardoes but still have plenty of talent but the QB question is a big one.
3.UCD-See SDSU except replace Kardoes with Grant.
5.SUU- They overscheduled and they are going to end up paying for it with 1-10 or 2-9 type of season. I thought they might end up being a better team this coming season but by the time they start Great West play the are going to be too beat up to be a factor.

carney2
February 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The PL seems like it will likely come down to Lehigh and Lafayette again this year. I think HC has passed Colgate right now. League record in ()

1. Lehigh (6-1)
2. Lafayette (6-1)
3. Holy Cross (4-2)
4. Colgate (3-3)
5. Bucknell (2-4)
6. Georgetown (1-5)
7. Fordham (1-5)

Pretty much the way I see it, but maybe Bucknell steals an extra win from someone.

ChickenMan
February 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
CAA North...

1... Northeastern
2... UMass
3... UNH
4... Hofstra
5... Maine
6... URI

CAA South

1... Towson
2... Delaware
3... Richmond
4... JMU
5... Villanova
6... W&M

Eyes of Old Main
February 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
SoCon (My Take):

1) Appalachian State - Too much firepower returning, but won't go 8-0.
2) Wofford - Lots of returning starters and injured players will be back.
3) Furman - Still lots of talent ad experience.
4) Georgia Southern - Starting over again, but with much more success.
5) The Citadel - Higgins has them on the right track.
6) Elon - Getting better, but still a work in progress.
7) Chattanooga - Perennial "darkhorse" thanks God for Western Carolina.
8) Western Carolina - Only marginal improvement until Briggs is fired.

th0m
February 4th, 2007, 03:57 PM
As far as my picks:

North

UMass
Northeastern
UNH
Maine
URI
Hofstra

South

JMU
Delaware
Towson
Villanova
Richmond
W&M

Yes a slight homerpick, and I think the top 3 in the South could go either way, so when in doubt put your own team at the top. Towson still has Schaeffer but they will need more than just him. Delaware could return to the top, let's see if they indeed put together a defense. JMU also has a lot of intangibles, mostly at QB and linemen.

LarryBoy
February 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
SoCon:

App State: They may have hit their ceiling, but they'll still be good enough to take it all.
Furman: Should be improved across the board; a healthy Renaldo Gray/Jerome Felton combo for the entire year could be lethal.
Wofford: They'll win some they shouldn't, then lose some they shouldn't
The Citadel/Georgia Southern: Toss-up...both teams have talent going for them, but still too many question marks.
Elon: Would dominate the Big South.
Chattanooga: Good enough to stay in games, but not good enough to win many of them.
Western Carolina: I pity them. Maybe they'll bounce back.

By the way, Eyes of Old Main, your signature reminded me....

I'm a Spartanburg native, and I have always wondered what "There's a right way, there's a wrong way, and there's a Wofford way" meant. Does that mean the Wofford way isn't right? Is the Wofford way some ambiguous gray area that is neither right or wrong, but just different? Is it sybolic of the alcohol-induced confusion I encounter everytime I visit the campus?

(No offense on that last one, but seriously, the place is a fountain.)

Cleets
February 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
North
2. UMass - Gone is Baylark, London, Ihedigbo, Belton, Anderson... but should be a factor

South
2. Towson - Scheafer will be the top QB this year, even better than Santos. TU is quickly becoming a great program.
3. JMU - Rascati will be a big loss IMO, but who knows who is waiting in the wings.

This (above) looks about right (to me) but won't UMass have a load of talent behing Baylark...? Just waiting to play...?

fun group of teams...

BEAR
February 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Southland

1. McNeese St. ditto
2. Nicholls St. Surprise of Coference
3. Sam- Solid 3rd, always talented
4. UCA- Loss of seniors, but big time replacements
5. Texas State ditto
6. NWST ditto
7. SFA ditto
8. SELA

All of this is based on actual factual guesses. xlolx But I really can't see UCA being in last place..it's never happened..it won't next year. : smh : But honestly, I have no freakin clue..:thumbsup: xlolx

Sly Fox
February 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Big South

1. Liberty Return nearly everybody and add some quality transfers
2. G-W Bring back a ton of talented young skill position players
3. CCU Huge losses everywhere but they still have enough talent to contend
4. VMI Yeah, I know. But Coach Reid has them improving.
5. CSU Its back to the cellar once again in Chucktown

Presbyterian isn't eligible in '07 but they play the entire league. I seriously doubt they'll pull off an upset under their new staff. But I could see them beating either SCU or VMI if everything were to come together on AGS.

SuperJon
February 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I agree with Sly, except I'd flip his 2 and 3. CCU will finish above G-W.

FlyYtown
February 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Gateway Conference Predictions from FlyYtown

Northern Iowa---Sanders and Co. is too good to lose to a Division 2 school, and we all know they will beat Youngstown St.
Youngstown State---Zetts is returning for his 4th year at the helm of the Penguin offense, and with a couple transfers coming in, don't be surprised if we have another explosive running attack in 2007. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: GO PENGUINS!!!
Southern Illinois---Whitlock is gone, but I like their new QB Nick Hill a lot....Coach Kill knows what he is doing.
Western Illinois---I'm not sure if La Falce and Donaldson are back, but if so, damn this team is going to be a toughy to beat.
Illinois State---Losing some key position players, they should be around .500 in 2007, and be back towards the top in 2008.
Missouri State-Not much to say.
Indiana State-Not much to say.

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM

1. Lehigh (6-1)
2. Lafayette (6-1)
3. Holy Cross (4-2)
4. Colgate (3-3)
5. Bucknell (2-4)
6. Georgetown (1-5)
7. Fordham (1-5)

Georgetown will not be a one-win team in 2007. Watch and see.

mainejeff
February 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
A meltdown in the making? Do tell, MJ.

No......just don't think that Maine will be that good. This season, there will be no expectations for Cosgrove......too bad for him that it's the last year of his contract.

They've got to break in a new QB. Find a RB. Discover what a kicker and (kicking game) is. Yikes.

DTSpider
February 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
JMU also has a lot of intangibles, mostly at QB and linemen.

Intangibles from a QB who hasn't started a game? I think you may be drinking a little bit much of that MM kool-aid. :)

That being said, I really do think JMU has a lot of talent, but I'd put question marks around the two positions you mentioned. Those groups have to replace some key seniors from last year which is never easy.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM
SoCon (My Take):

Only one beef. Everyone loves to talk about Wofford as an outside shot to make noise, but the fact is Furman has owned them for 3 years. FU has only dropped one game to the Terriers since 2000 and that was in their miracle season when Furman lost 7-6 after fumbling a kick to win the game late.

WC just doesn't match up well with the Paladins.

2000: 27-18
2001: 45-14
2002: 23-21
2003: 6-7
2004: 31-24
2005: 34-21
2006: 35-21

This season will probably come down to App and Furman battling for first and GSU and Wofford battling for an outside playoff bid.

Brad82
February 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
1.UMASS
2. UNH
3. URI

Kill'em
February 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Southern Conference

1 App St - Richardson+Edwards=success. No team has ever won 3 straight N.C's. This could be the first.
2 Furman - Solid all around.
3 Wofford - Hard to bet against these guys
4 Chattanooga - Steady improvement
5 The Citadel - My sleeper pick for a playoff bid.
6 Elon - Improved but not quite there.
7 Western Carolina - I've picked them high the last couple of years and I won't be fooled again.

X Georgia Southern - I'll get back to y'all after the spring game.

Eyes of Old Main
February 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM
By the way, Eyes of Old Main, your signature reminded me....

I'm a Spartanburg native, and I have always wondered what "There's a right way, there's a wrong way, and there's a Wofford way" meant. Does that mean the Wofford way isn't right? Is the Wofford way some ambiguous gray area that is neither right or wrong, but just different? Is it sybolic of the alcohol-induced confusion I encounter everytime I visit the campus?

(No offense on that last one, but seriously, the place is a fountain.)

I've thought the same thing, particularly when I was new on campus and figuring the place out. To me, Wofford is a place that marches to its own drumbeat and has it's own view of the world and it's own sensibilities. Strange, yes, and maybe it's one of those things that you have to have experienced to understand.

Every Wofford student and graduate understands it, few others do unless they spend a lot of time on campus. I wouldn't say that "The Wofford Way" is right or wrong compared to the world in general, it's just different. In short, it's what's right FOR Wofford.

As far as Wofford students having a good time, yes they do. And yes, it's a bit different from Furman considering I know people whose student tour guides told them not to come there because it wasn't much fun. No offense, on that either.

Eyes of Old Main
February 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Everyone loves to talk about Wofford as an outside shot to make noise, but the fact is Furman has owned them for 3 years.

WC just doesn't match up well with the Paladins.

I don't have much argument against that. Furman has had Wofford's number for some time. I guess my pick was based mostly off my perception that Wofford was trending upward during the last half of last season and that Furman was trending downward. Wofford is also bring back virtually everyone and ought to be due to break through against you guys at some point.

Maybe that's all wrong, and maybe I'm wearing rose-colored glasses. Time will tell. Either way, I don't see anyone getting through conference play undefeated in 2007, so there very easily could be a two or three way tie at the top.

Mr. C
February 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Before anyone calls me a homer, remember that I didn't have the Hens ranked a single week last year. ;)
You HOMER!!! I couldn't resist the invitation. :D :rotateh: xlolx :nod: :cool: :p :) :smiley_wi

P.S. Tim Stowers has a long-term contract. I don't see him going anywhere and I could see the Rams winning five or six games this season.

P.S.S. I think Delaware will be improved, too (they better be, or K.C. could be the coach on the hot seat).

Mr. C
February 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
SoCon (My Take):

No, App State won't go 8-0 in the SoCon. They only play SEVEN conference games. :D

I like your order for the first three (I think Wofford is going to surprise a lot of people next year), but I'd rank The Citadel either three or fourth, Chattanooga five, Elon sixth, Georgia Southern seven and WCU eight, though five through seven could easily move around. I think Georgia Southern will have to clean up some of VanGorder's mess (can I use that word describing GSU now?) before moving back up in 2008. I don't see the Catamounts making much progress in what will be a much tougher league next year, top to bottom.

Mr. C
February 4th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Southern Conference

1 App St - Richardson+Edwards=success. No team has ever won 3 straight N.C's. This could be the first.
2 Furman - Solid all around.
3 Wofford - Hard to bet against these guys
4 Chattanooga - Steady improvement
5 The Citadel - My sleeper pick for a playoff bid.
6 Elon - Improved but not quite there.
7 Western Carolina - I've picked them high the last couple of years and I won't be fooled again.

X Georgia Southern - I'll get back to y'all after the spring game.
Just remember people were singing VanGorder's praises and expecting big things after the spring game in 2006.

youwouldno
February 5th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I think because of the way they ended the season, the Paladins are probably more underrated than Wofford at this point. Injuries will be healed, new players in the mix... a new season is a new season. Talent isn't everything-- football is the 'ultimate team sport' as many people say-- but it's pretty darn significant. And Furman is more talented overall than anyone else in the conference save App St, which will make it hard for someone else to finish in the top 2. Most Furman fans, after the 2005 season, saw 2006 as a rebuilding year and 2007 as the next real opportunity to make serious noise.

Here are the keys to SoCon play next year IMO:

- App St D-line: Mountaineer's best unit loses a lot. That D-line, for the past 2 years, led the way for the entire defense that brought home 2 NCs. App St fans expecting no drop-off are delusional.

- Furman backfield: Lots of banged up Paladins late in the '06 season. Felton should be fine but I worry about Gray's ability to stay healthy on a consistent basis. Fortunately Furman has 2 extremely promising young QBs in Sorrells and Worley.

- UTC in the trenches: The Mocs have athleticism and some nice skill players, but have struggled on the lines. I don't expect an instant turnaround, but improvement will only come if the OL and DL play permits.

- Ayers magic at WC: Wofford still has to be considered an overachiever, purely on a talent basis. That makes it harder to maintain a high level of play year in-and-out.

- The ex-Patriot Leaguers: Higgins and Lembo are good coaches but their teams are in tough positions. App St, FU, and WC are also well coached but have established levels of success. Moving up the ladder is tough in a small conference with some heavyweights that are strong every season.

- WCU: Gotta feel bad for them.

- GSU: huge wildcard. I don't think the Eagles are very likely to win 8 or even 7 games, but Hatcher is a proven winner, whereas BVG was purely a coaching prospect. He didn't pan out, obviously, and GSU is weak at QB, which is problematic given the Hatch Attack. BVG was a terrible HC but he does know defense, so how the D will perform is an open question.

Kill'em
February 5th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Just remember people were singing VanGorder's praises and expecting big things after the spring game in 2006.
Don't forget, Teddy Craft, one of our top two playmakers died and the starting QB after spring practice was ineligible. I don't know if you got to see the spring game, but the offense we saw then was not the same offense we saw during the regular season. I can appreciate cautious optimism but I really like Hatcher and I expect big things from his leadership. Time will tell, though.

crunifan
February 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM
GATEWAY

1) UNI - Lose four starters. Barring some magic meltdown, we will not lose to another DII and we will be back atop the Gateway for title numero 13

2) Southern Illinois - I only put them here because it seems for the past six years they just seem to win, reguardless of who they lose (like Whitlock)

3) Youngstown State - Loses Mason (THANK GOD), and like Fly stated...they come to the Dome, thats a sure loss ;)

4) Illinois State - They lose a lot, but I think there is some seperation with them and Western Illinois

5) Western Illinois- Could be higher, depends on how they do in close games. They had the talent last year, just didn't follow through

6) Missouri State - I think Terry Allen gets this team going this year. They will win a conference game or two. And starting this year, get better with each year

7) Indiana State - Do I really need to say anything?

Husky Alum
February 5th, 2007, 07:21 AM

North

South

They're NU?

The team that beat UNH and your Hens last year?

Just checking.

Let me know when you win a game in Boston again, please.

andy7171
February 5th, 2007, 07:35 AM
CAA
North
1-UNH
2-Northeastern
3-UMass
4-Hofstra
5-Maine
6-URI
South
1-JMU
2-Delaware
3-Towson
4-Villanova
5-W&M
6-Richmond

CSUBUCDAD
February 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Someone explain to me, other than just picking based on likes and dislikes, how one can translate losing 3 skill players on offense and none on defense, not to mention returning 3 all conference players on defense into such a steep nosedive to the bottom of the barrell for CSU this year?

Saint3333
February 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM
- App St D-line: Mountaineer's best unit loses a lot. That D-line, for the past 2 years, led the way for the entire defense that brought home 2 NCs. App St fans expecting no drop-off are delusional.

Excellent point and the coaches would agree. So far ASU has 5 verbal committments on the d-line and I'd expect three of them to see playing time next year. 2 DT are 6'2" 265 lbs. and 6'6" 285lbs., both with excellent speed. For what ASU loses on the d-line the linebacker core should be able to handle.

ASU=reloading.

JMU_Fan_2007
February 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Intangibles from a QB who hasn't started a game? I think you may be drinking a little bit much of that MM kool-aid. :)

That being said, I really do think JMU has a lot of talent, but I'd put question marks around the two positions you mentioned. Those groups have to replace some key seniors from last year which is never easy.

There's no telling what will really happen until fall, but...
Rodney Landers will be JMU's starting QB next year. He averaged 9.6 yards per carry on 24 attempts last year, while doing clean up duty. A lot of people around the JMU football program think he has more raw talent than Rascati, the question will be his decision making and leadership. Think Tim Tebow from Florida. In fact, I would expect JMU's offense next year to look a lot like Florida's did this year. I'll be a little more exciting than last year, probably a lot of speed used in different ways. The QB option will be a huge threat with Holloman and Landers, and the horizontal passing game will probably be utilized with several fast, big receivers. Rockhead McCarter will have at least 10 receiving TDs, he's a total beast.

The defensive line and linebackers will probably be the biggest concern; but the secondary was very young this year and will be great next year. And Scotty McGee is a superstart in the making, he returned a kickoff for a touchdown against YSU and I would guess he has at least 4 kick-return-touchdowns next year.

So... Intangibles could really be a good way to discribe JMU coming in. Who will step up on defense, and just how good is Landers?

Those are my bold JMU predictions. The CAA will be:

North Division - haven't really done my research on the north side
New Hampshire 6-2 itching to beat umass
Massachusetts 5-3 they bore me
Maine 4-4 ??
Hofstra 3-5 better but not good yet
Northeastern 2-6 terrible fan support
Rhode Island 1-7 ??

South Division
Delaware 7-1 how long can delaware be bad? lots of transfers loses at navy and villanova, wins caa outright
James Madison 7-1 lose at delaware and unc
Villanova 6-2 sleeper, will win a few big games
Towson 4-4 not nearly as good as everyone thinks
Richmond 2-6 second half of 06 schedule exposed them
William & Mary 1-7 just can't get anything going

JMU and Delaware would both likely be playoff seeds at 9-2

89Hen
February 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM
They're NU?

The team that beat UNH and your Hens last year?

Just checking.

Let me know when you win a game in Boston again, please.
Sheesh, I didn't want to get nasty, but....

- Who didn't beat the Hens last year. :rolleyes:
- You play the Hens in Newark (not Boston) where NU has never won.
- You only have 5 games in Boston this year.
- @Northwestern, @ UC-Davis, @Delaware, @UNH, @UMass... point to a win.
- 46-69 all-time in the Yankee/A10.

89Hen
February 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
won't UMass have a load of talent behing Baylark...? Just waiting to play...?
Could be. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the North. I think there are more Q's at D than replacing Baylark and London. Baylark literally carried them in the playoffs. He was unbelievable. I think they also lost their all-world Center. Those are key players on both sides of the ball.

813Jag
February 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Right now I'm not gonna touch the SWAC with a 10 foot pole. The champ could be one of these 5 AAMU, UAPB, JSU, GSU, or SU.

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Great West

doesnt cal poly also have ryan mole on their team now? the kid who transferred from sac st. he was the one bright spot for the hornets a few years ago and now he's joined with noble...scary.

so far ive only seen one big sky prediction so heres a second.
Big Sky
1.Montana(duh!) but honestly we lose one lineman who we replace with JD quinn the Oklahoma transfer. Swogger is gone and he is replaced with bergquist who showed promise last year. we return our entire receiving corps. plus the beast that is TBF along with complimentary backs such as bradshaw and coleman. and of course THE RETURN of LEX! Defense will be solid as usual.

2. Portland State- They showed promise last year but couldnt get it done when they needed to. i expect them to beat MSU this year since the game is in portland. their D will carry them, hopefully they will have the QB situation worked out.

3. MSU- the only reason i put MSU third is because, as mentioned above, i believe they will lose to PSU and that will be the deciding factor(much like this year) The bobcats should also have a pretty good D, but they need some better play from the QB and we will have to see who will be their big playmaker without Jefferson.

4. Weber State- Played pretty well in some games, beating the griz in the first half of their game and almost beating the cats in bozeman. they have a great running back in trevyn smith who will only be a sophomore next year.

5. NAU- didnt even finish that great this last year and now without murrietta who knows where they will end up. but i expect a rebuilding year.

6. Idaho State- What was supposed to be a great year for them was, well...horrible. Matt Gutierrez was not the answer but, that doesnt mean they cant be good this year. the thing that scares me about idaho state is when you play them in pocatello your chances of losing go up by about 30 percent due to the fact that they are explosive on that turf.

7. EWU- i feel like this could be the sleeper team in the big sky. no one expected them to have a good year this last season( and who would after they lost meyer and kimble) but they seemed to have a good young QB and im sure they will win a couple of games and they always have a powerful o-line that can knock you over. watch out for the eagles.

8. Sac St.- come on futility is their forte. though they did show some promise...

9. Northern Colorado- until they prove otherwise i am leaving them here

chantman
February 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Someone explain to me, other than just picking based on likes and dislikes, how one can translate losing 3 skill players on offense and none on defense, not to mention returning 3 all conference players on defense into such a steep nosedive to the bottom of the barrell for CSU this year?

I think CSU did not have a balanced offense last year. The passing game was the bread and butter. With Drafts, Price and another WR gone, that hurts because they have not proven that they can run and the passing game took a hugh hit.

I think the impressive defensive numbers would put up against sub-par teams. Against the two best teams, CCU & LU, the defense could not stop them.

Just my :twocents:

Jackluv
February 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
so far ive only seen one big sky prediction so heres a second.
Big Sky
1.Montana(duh!) but honestly we lose one lineman who we replace with JD quinn the Oklahoma transfer. Swogger is gone and he is replaced with bergquist who showed promise last year. we return our entire receiving corps. plus the beast that is TBF along with complimentary backs such as bradshaw and coleman. and of course THE RETURN of LEX! Defense will be solid as usual.

2. Portland State- They showed promise last year but couldnt get it done when they needed to. i expect them to beat MSU this year since the game is in portland. their D will carry them, hopefully they will have the QB situation worked out.

3. MSU- the only reason i put MSU third is because, as mentioned above, i believe they will lose to PSU and that will be the deciding factor(much like this year) The bobcats should also have a pretty good D, but they need some better play from the QB and we will have to see who will be their big playmaker without Jefferson.

4. Weber State- Played pretty well in some games, beating the griz in the first half of their game and almost beating the cats in bozeman. they have a great running back in trevyn smith who will only be a sophomore next year.

5. NAU- didnt even finish that great this last year and now without murrietta who knows where they will end up. but i expect a rebuilding year.

6. Idaho State- What was supposed to be a great year for them was, well...horrible. Matt Gutierrez was not the answer but, that doesnt mean they cant be good this year. the thing that scares me about idaho state is when you play them in pocatello your chances of losing go up by about 30 percent due to the fact that they are explosive on that turf.

7. EWU- i feel like this could be the sleeper team in the big sky. no one expected them to have a good year this last season( and who would after they lost meyer and kimble) but they seemed to have a good young QB and im sure they will win a couple of games and they always have a powerful o-line that can knock you over. watch out for the eagles.

8. Sac St.- come on futility is their forte. though they did show some promise...

9. Northern Colorado- until they prove otherwise i am leaving them here

id switch up weber and NAU....i put weber in the same boat with ISU. everyone expected them to be the 3rd or 4th place BSC team last year and they got beat alot. i dont see them being in any better shape this year. and NAU's record rests solely on if they can get a QB. Their RB was newcomer of the year, and they return all WR's (1 Walter Camp all-american and the others all BSC).

i also seeing Sac being the surprise :eek: They played well with a ****ty coach and now hes gone, they have the same talent. i see them as a close 4th place team.

Mountaineer
February 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Most Furman fans, after the 2005 season, saw 2006 as a rebuilding year and 2007 as the next real opportunity to make serious noise.

Hahaha..this is definitely a change. Most Furman fans think EVERY year is their year. It's when they fail to win a NC that it turns into a rebuilding year. xlolx xlolx :p :thumbsup:

jmufootball2
February 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
North:
1. Umass- Best team in the north but the south is the better division in '07
2. Maine- Solid year coming up for them
3-4. UNH/Northeastern tie- UNH will not be that good
5. Hofstra- Could be a sleeper team
6. Rhode Island- Not a win for the rams

South:
1. JMU- Solid nucleus returning, biggest ? is can Landers win some games
2. Delaware- Should compete with JMU for CAA title
3. Towson- .500 in CAA play
4. W&M- Rebuilding
5. Richmond- Rebuilding
6. Villanova- Who knows?

The bottom of the south is very unpredictable.

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM
id switch up weber and NAU....i put weber in the same boat with ISU. everyone expected them to be the 3rd or 4th place BSC team last year and they got beat alot. i dont see them being in any better shape this year. and NAU's record rests solely on if they can get a QB. Their RB was newcomer of the year, and they return all WR's (1 Walter Camp all-american and the others all BSC).

i also seeing Sac being the surprise :eek: They played well with a ****ty coach and now hes gone, they have the same talent. i see them as a close 4th place team.

it could go either way with NAU and weber. but as you said its up to the QB of NAU. Sac st. did have one of their best years in conference play and could be better but it just seems all bad things happen to sac. st. but to me the big sky is usually wide open, meaning no one ever knows what team will be the team to challenge the griz.

Purple Pride
February 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Southland

1. McNeese St.
2. Nicholls St.
3. Sam Houston
4. UCA
5. Texas State
6. NWST
7. SELA
8. SFA

youwouldno
February 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Hahaha..this is definitely a change. Most Furman fans think EVERY year is their year. It's when they fail to win a NC that it turns into a rebuilding year. xlolx xlolx :p :thumbsup:

Even in a rebuilding year, you still want to win as much as possible. I'm just telling you what Furman fans actually thought, including myself. We'll see.

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Right now I'm not gonna touch the SWAC with a 10 foot pole. The champ could be one of these 5 AAMU, UAPB, JSU, GSU, or SU.

Most likely one of those 2.....

But I wouldn't count out JSU...yet.

LarryBoy
February 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Many Furman fans have been saying "2007" since after the 2004 year, primarily because of some great recruiting classes (was it the 2005 class that was considered to be our "best ever"?) 2006 was an example of plenty of talent without experience (with the wildcard of the injury bug). Furman COULD be scary deep this year. Or, we could get injured a lot and make a lot of bonehead turnovers. I'm holding out hope that we can make a lot of noise this year, but I'm certainly not guaranteeing it.

Kill'em
February 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
One thing is a given with Furman, they will always contend. They are a tough team every year. There is rarely a down year.

JALMOND
February 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Early, early, early. This is where I have the Big Sky, although it probably will change after spring (so don't hold me too close to this).

1. Montana---A lot of returning players and also Flexy Lexy (Hilliard) coming back. Set for more damage and also get Portland State in Missoula this year, a place that I believe we have not won since moving to the Big Sky.

2. Portland State---A good core group of returnees and a full year for White who almost brought us back for a victory against Montana last year. Depending on who transfers in (we already got a receiver from Oregon State) could maybe help as well. We have to go to Missoula this year, but we do get Montana State at home. I'd pencil us in for second right now, subject to change.

3. Montana State---A darkhorse who could determine who wins the conference this year, having both Portland State and Montana the last two games this year. Like the Griz and Vikes, the Cats also have a strong group of returnees from last year. Depending on spring ball could give a clearer picture. Right now, the game at Portland followed by the Griz game puts the Cats third.

4. Northern Arizona---Losing Murietta hurts but the Jacks do have a solid returning core from last year. Maybe not quite up there with the top three, but they could surprise if the QB situation is right off the bat.

5. Sacramento State---New coach and new personnel might just be what this program needed. The Hornets always have played the conference pretty close, but time will tell if they will move up the standings. Right now a sleeper team at #5.

6. Eastern Washington---Last year was a disaster and now this year. Still the Eagles are dangerous and never can be taken lightly. To look past them, even during a rebuilding year could find their opponent with a loss that week.

7. Weber State---Spring ball should give the Wildcats the opportunity to find an offense to go with the defense. Otherwise, the D will once again be on the field a long time during games.

8. Idaho State---Too many holes to fill makes the Bengals the #8 team right now. Hopefully spring ball can correct some of the positions and keep them out of the basement.

9. Northern Colorado---The Bears' first season in the Big Sky is now past and hopefully all the problems, both on the field and off. Still, good things emerged from the year and, if they capitalize on those and have a good spring, the Bears might be able to avoid the basement in just the second year of Big Sky play.

Like I said, pretty early to make predictions. All Big Sky teams gain a lot from off season transfers and all place a lot of emphasis on spring practice. Montana looks solid and both PSU and MSU look one step behind the Griz. Still, if the Vikings and Cats suffer (as both are known to do during the season), NAU, EWU, Weber or, if they are right there, Sac State or ISU could all make a push for the top three. UNC looked good against some conference opponents and could find a win or two within the conference this year as well.

813Jag
February 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Most likely one of those 2.....

But I wouldn't count out JSU...yet.

I think SU could contend but there are some questions to be answered. Mainly how motivated Coach Richardson will be after two bad seasons. QB is another issue as well as the D-Line. Right now early money would go on the defending champs.

appfan2008
February 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Apps d line will be much improved even though it should be the only question mark heading into next year

App-too much talent
Wofford-they always hang around the top
Furman-wont be as good as their homer fans think
Citadel-will surprise some people
GSU-too much talent to suck again but BVG has screwed them up even for this year
Elon-just not enough talent
UTC-they are getting better but not by much
WCU-they suck

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Early, early, early. This is where I have the Big Sky, although it probably will change after spring (so don't hold me too close to this).

1. Montana---A lot of returning players and also Flexy Lexy (Hilliard) coming back. Set for more damage and also get Portland State in Missoula this year, a place that I believe we have not won since moving to the Big Sky.

2. Portland State---A good core group of returnees and a full year for White who almost brought us back for a victory against Montana last year. Depending on who transfers in (we already got a receiver from Oregon State) could maybe help as well. We have to go to Missoula this year, but we do get Montana State at home. I'd pencil us in for second right now, subject to change.

3. Montana State---A darkhorse who could determine who wins the conference this year, having both Portland State and Montana the last two games this year. Like the Griz and Vikes, the Cats also have a strong group of returnees from last year. Depending on spring ball could give a clearer picture. Right now, the game at Portland followed by the Griz game puts the Cats third.

4. Northern Arizona---Losing Murietta hurts but the Jacks do have a solid returning core from last year. Maybe not quite up there with the top three, but they could surprise if the QB situation is right off the bat.

5. Sacramento State---New coach and new personnel might just be what this program needed. The Hornets always have played the conference pretty close, but time will tell if they will move up the standings. Right now a sleeper team at #5.

6. Eastern Washington---Last year was a disaster and now this year. Still the Eagles are dangerous and never can be taken lightly. To look past them, even during a rebuilding year could find their opponent with a loss that week.

7. Weber State---Spring ball should give the Wildcats the opportunity to find an offense to go with the defense. Otherwise, the D will once again be on the field a long time during games.

8. Idaho State---Too many holes to fill makes the Bengals the #8 team right now. Hopefully spring ball can correct some of the positions and keep them out of the basement.

9. Northern Colorado---The Bears' first season in the Big Sky is now past and hopefully all the problems, both on the field and off. Still, good things emerged from the year and, if they capitalize on those and have a good spring, the Bears might be able to avoid the basement in just the second year of Big Sky play.

Like I said, pretty early to make predictions. All Big Sky teams gain a lot from off season transfers and all place a lot of emphasis on spring practice. Montana looks solid and both PSU and MSU look one step behind the Griz. Still, if the Vikings and Cats suffer (as both are known to do during the season), NAU, EWU, Weber or, if they are right there, Sac State or ISU could all make a push for the top three. UNC looked good against some conference opponents and could find a win or two within the conference this year as well.

i see we have relatively the same "picks." the only major difference i see is our assessment of weber. i think they are currently a little ahead of NAU because they have some good young guys coming back, but are also in the same boat as NAU...quarterback questions

Jerbearasu
February 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am going to predict a three way tie at the top of the SoCon...
App/Wof/Fur all finish with 6-1 records
I think FU will be a lot better than they are getting credit for and there seems to be a little too much hype around Wofford's strong finish. This will definitely be one of the more interesting years in the SoCon.
As for App's D-line, I think they won't be as good as last year but there won't be that much of a drop off either. I only fear the injury bug hitting the D-line because we will be pretty thin next year in this area.

RabidRabbit
February 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Great West - Early Prediction

Three-Way tie for 1st at 3-1
NDSU (Lose at SDSU)
Poly (Lose to NDSU)
SDSU (Lose to Poly)

UC-Davis 2-2 (Lose to NDSU/Poly)

SUU - 0-4 Too much of a killer schedule for a team that's struggled the last 2 years.

With OOC being the greater part of the schedule, I believe you will again see the top 4 teams of the Great West in the Top 25 for most of the '07 season. Poly selected for at large next year (assumes no non-DI games on schedule). Davis finishes 7-4, but misses play-off, because didn't tie for first in GWFC. NDSU grimaces through a 2nd year of being part of the FCS elite, and not being able to participate in play-offs. SDSU finishes 8-3 with wins against a Gateway co-winner, regretting not play-off eligible.

WrenFGun
February 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
CAA
NORTH:
1. UNH (Santos is the best player in conference, and they still have a lot of talent)
2. UMass (They still have a load of talent, and they're tough to beat. The loss of Baylark will sting more, IMO, than the loss of Ball)
3. Northeastern (UNH was pretty thoroughly beaten by them last year, though the score was much closer and they almost stole one. I like this team)
4. Maine (They need to find a kicker, and they need to take some more chances, but that defense was scary good last year. They could beat anyone, anyday, with that defense. The offense doesn't make mistakes, either, though they are now without Whitcomb)
5. Hofstra (They always seem to hang around, but they never seem to have enough to get over the hump)
6. Rhode Island (Their offense has some talent, but their defense is awful, still)

SOUTH:
1. Delaware (Apparently loaded with talent, and I just don't think anyone else is as good)
2. James Madison (I was tempted to put a deserving Towson team here, but it was mostly because I'm sick of JMU kicking UNH's ass. Will be an interesting game early in the season)
3. Towson (Improving, they could easily move up to first or second, IMO)
4. Villanova (Seemed to get better toward end of season)
5. Richmond (Apparently lost alot, though always dangerous)
6. William & Mary (I have no idea)

bcrawf
February 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Gateway-

1) UNI- Offense should be nothing short of dynamic and defense will be much improved. Our DII game is Minnesota State- Mankato who was 4-7, we can't possibly lose to them.

2) YSU- Heacock just gets it done as long as the other teams jerseys don't say "Northern Iowa" or "Panthers"

3) SIU- Were a playoff team in what was supposed to be a down year. They will miss Whitlock.

4) WIU- Always good offensively. I think they are a little better than IlSU.

5) IlSU- Drone is back but they will miss Robinson, Rembert, and Siskowic

6) MSU- Not last simply because InSU is that bad,

7) InSU- Can't even win when they cheat...

rokamortis
February 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Dad - I dunno who will win or lose, and CSU may be the top dogs, but it isn't hard to see where people are coming from. Most expect CCU and CSU to drop a little and GWU and Liberty to rise a little. VMI may improve as well.

But what i'm trying to say is it isn't a steep dive at all. You were in a 3-way tie for 2nd in a 5 team conference. That means you weren't too far from being in 4th place. True you only lose 3 offensive weapons, but those were your 3 best people. Do you really think you'll have a Drafts / Price combo in 2007? And your defense wasn't that strong.

CSUBUCDAD
February 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Dad - I dunno who will win or lose, and CSU may be the top dogs, but it isn't hard to see where people are coming from. Most expect CCU and CSU to drop a little and GWU and Liberty to rise a little. VMI may improve as well.

But what i'm trying to say is it isn't a steep dive at all. You were in a 3-way tie for 2nd in a 5 team conference. That means you weren't too far from being in 4th place. True you only lose 3 offensive weapons, but those were your 3 best people. Do you really think you'll have a Drafts / Price combo in 2007? And your defense wasn't that strong.

Not sure about a Drafts/Price connection in this upcoming group. I seriously doubt it. As far as the defense, they were very very young. A year makes all the difference on that side of the ball, so I don't see a drop off at all. Mills will definately have to run the ball more unless one of the QB's develops over the spring.

89Hen
February 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
SDSU (Lose to Poly)

UC-Davis 2-2 (Lose to NDSU/Poly).
Sorry for being a stickler, but you just gave SDSU two losses, not one.

Bison05
February 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Great West - Early Prediction

Three-Way tie for 1st at 3-1
NDSU (Lose at SDSU)
Poly (Lose to NDSU)
SDSU (Lose to Poly)
UC-Davis 2-2 (Lose to NDSU/Poly)

SUU - 0-4 Too much of a killer schedule for a team that's struggled the last 2 years.

With OOC being the greater part of the schedule, I believe you will again see the top 4 teams of the Great West in the Top 25 for most of the '07 season. Poly selected for at large next year (assumes no non-DI games on schedule). Davis finishes 7-4, but misses play-off, because didn't tie for first in GWFC. NDSU grimaces through a 2nd year of being part of the FCS elite, and not being able to participate in play-offs. SDSU finishes 8-3 with wins against a Gateway co-winner, regretting not play-off eligible.

Your numbers are off, either UCD is 1-3, or they beat SDSU.

OL FU
February 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I thought it would be a rebuilding year and then after UNC, WCU and WC thought we were going to roll. Of Course we did roll .....over down at Conway.

This should be an interesting year. The roster says we should be very good. But most of the games last year leaves a big question mark. Even suffering through the injuries some of the games should not have been as close as they ended up. Chatt, Cit.

I would still put us at number two mainly because we have Wofford at home, GSU is still a question mark. ASU :confused: well at least the game is at Paladin stadium:smiley_wi

aceinthehole
February 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Northeast Conference (NEC)

1. CCSU - Return of former ROY QB (injured for last year), lots of depth at RB, solid core defesne returning.
2. Albany - Top D in the league again, and unproven, but improving Offense.
3. Robert Morris - Suprise team last season, young defense improved by year's end, QB must make less mistakes.
4. Monmouth - Lost stud QB and top WR, very solid RB and Defense returning.
5. Sacred Heart - Underachived in past seasons, needs improved recruiting.
6. Wagner - Well coached with limited talent, not deep enough for top tier of NEC.
7. St. Francis PA - lost proflific QB-WR duo to graduation and no major hope for improvement on Defense.

Bison05
February 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
GWFC predictions:

1. NDSU, too much talent returning to not repeat as conf champs.
2. Cal Poly, if there offense gets on-track they could be a team no one wants to face
3. SDSU, Loses on Offense will hurt them, however a favorable conference schedule (3 out of 4 home games) might help.
4. UCD, this is the team i know the least about, but any of the top 4 teams could challenge for the conference championship.
5.SUU, too tough of a OOC schedule to be competitive once the conference schedule comes around.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm really more scared of our game at the Citadel and GSU than I am about the Apps. Yes, they are back to back champs, but they haven't shown me they are flat out better than Furman. You put the game at Paladin Stadium with a healthy Jerome Felton, well, I like our chances.

Furman just CAN'T afford to go on their typical midseason roller coaster. The Paladins have as much talent as any team in the country. The question is whether or not they will show up every game.

BobbyMo
February 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Northeast Conference (NEC)

1. CCSU - Return of former ROY QB (injured for last year), lots of depth at RB, solid core defesne returning.
2. Albany - Top D in the league again, and unproven, but improving Offense.
3. Robert Morris - Suprise team last season, young defense improved by year's end, QB must make less mistakes.
4. Monmouth - Lost stud QB and top WR, very solid RB and Defense returning.
5. Sacred Heart - Underachived in past seasons, needs improved recruiting.
6. Wagner - Well coached with limited talent, not deep enough for top tier of NEC.
7. St. Francis PA - lost proflific QB-WR duo to graduation and no major hope for improvement on Defense.

Looks about right. RMU will have a tough time, I think they will be on the road for Monmouth, Albany, and CCSU as they were in Moon last season. Because of this, I would probably put Monmouth ahead of the Colonials.

89Hen
February 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
4. Monmouth - Lost stud QB and top WR
:thumbsup: ;)

aceinthehole
February 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Looks about right. RMU will have a tough time, I think they will be on the road for Monmouth, Albany, and CCSU as they were in Moon last season. Because of this, I would probably put Monmouth ahead of the Colonials.

Good point. CCSU gets Albany, RMU, Monmouth all at home which should help alot.

I think it will be like last year a close race, but the overall quality of the NEC may be down slightly this year unless those Frosh scholly players from last year start making an impcat league wide.

Delaware fans - this won't be as talented as past MU teams or the Danes you faced last year. :cool:

Jackluv
February 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i see we have relatively the same "picks." the only major difference i see is our assessment of weber. i think they are currently a little ahead of NAU because they have some good young guys coming back, but are also in the same boat as NAU...quarterback questions

weber does have some good returners including that trevyn smith i think his name was. but i still have to put alex henderson, BSC newcomer of the year, as someone hopefully NAU can tail behind. Plus, in the NAU vs. Weber game this year, it wasnt fair. Everyone Starting WR had at least 1 TD catch, mostly just Murrietta lobbing it up. ALL the WR's come back too. If NAU has a QB that can just throw some jump balls, we will be ok

i really hope EWU makes a comeback this year too like they should. I Wulf and he will get them where they need to be

RabidRabbit
February 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM

:bow: :bow: Thanks 05/89, It is an EARLY PREDICTION! :p

OK, I'll say that UC-Davis gets a rabbit surprise AGAIN!

All told, I expect every game to be tight this year for the Jacks. :hurray:

NSUDemon98
February 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
1. McNeese St. ditto
5. Texas State ditto
6. NWST ditto
7. SFA ditto
8. SELA

All of this is based on actual factual guesses. xlolx But I really can't see UCA being in last place..it's never happened..it won't next year. : smh : But honestly, I have no freakin clue..:thumbsup: xlolx

That's weird...I wasn't aware that we lost a huge amount of senior starters.

My roster says we only are losing 7 starters from last year...I guess maybe since you didn't know much about the other teams you just came up with a generic answer for each team.

I personally don't believe UCA is gonna finish that high, much less higher than NSU...aren't yall the ones who lost a lot of seniors?

BobbyMo
February 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I think it will be like last year a close race, but the overall quality of the NEC may be down slightly this year unless those Frosh scholly players from last year start making an impcat league wide.

I do hope it is close again, it was very exciting. I am very interested to see how the seawolves do this year being independent.

Also, i am proud to say RMU will not have any D3's on the schedule this year. All FCS.

Spooney-Cat
February 5th, 2007, 05:24 PM

My roster says we only are losing 7 starters from last year...I guess maybe since you didn't know much about the other teams you just came up with a generic answer for each team.

I personally don't believe UCA is gonna finish that high, much less higher than NSU...aren't yall the ones who lost a lot of seniors?

I totally agree with you NSUDemon. UCA will definitely not finish in the top 5. We aern't losing much, Head Coach is used to the guys already, solid QB, solid WR's and RB's. We'll make a run for the conference championship this year..

GeauxLions94
February 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Southland

1. McNeese State - Lots of weapons coming back
2. Sam Houston State - Can Bomar lead them to the Promised Land?
3. Central Arkansas - :nod: they will finish this high (or higher)
4. Northwestern State - Stoker will have to replace Collins on D
5. Texas State - New coach, great QB, must replace Castillo
6. Stephen F. Austin - Southall's back for new coach Harper
7. Southeastern Louisiana - Lucas, Gilbert form dangerous run tandem; but can they pass and can they stop the run???
8. Nicholls State - a few key losses, could flip with SLU

AggiePride
February 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Interesting pics for UCD at #4 by everyone. Hmmm, actually they are not very interesting, pretty much just cut and paste jobs from this year.... :boring:

It seems the Dakotas do not remember barely escaping the Aggies last year, that we have arguably the best defense in the conference next year, and the best recieving core. Some real talent will be hitting the field at RB too.

Our main concern from last year is the need to fill our QB spot, which is absolutely loaded, and has always been reloaded well in the QB manufacturing machine that is UCD. Same with the O-line.

OR that this year we are playoff eligible.. Quite a nice carrot on that stick.

Not looking for number 1, but I think some people are overlooking us by a large margin. Which is good now that I think about it ;)

Bison05
February 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Interesting pics for UCD at #4 by everyone.

It seems the Dakotas do not remember barely escaping the Aggies last year, that we have arguably the best defense in the conference next year, the best recieving core, a solid O-line. Oh yeh, it's the first year with only scholly athletes on the field too..

Our only main concern is the need to fill our QB spot, which is absolutely loaded, and has always been reloaded perfectly in the QB manufacturing machine that is UCD.

I think both Cal Poly and NDSU would care to differ about who has the best defense. IMHO I would put UCD a distant 3rd in the defense category; not that you wont have a great defense, just that I think NDSU and CP will have better ones. Also in my prediction, I said that any of the top 4 teams have a shot at winning the conference title.

FargoBison
February 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Interesting pics for UCD at #4 by everyone.

It seems the Dakotas do not remember barely escaping the Aggies last year, that we have arguably the best defense in the conference next year, the best recieving core, a solid O-line. Oh yeh, it's the first year with only scholly athletes on the field too..

Our only main concern is the need to fill our QB spot, which is absolutely loaded, and has always been reloaded perfectly in the QB manufacturing machine that is UCD.

I had UCD and SDSU both at 3, so not everybody had UCD in the 4 spot. I don't know about that best defense comment but I agree with the rest of what you said.

AggiePride
February 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I had UCD and SDSU both at 3, so not everybody had UCD in the 4 spot. I don't know about that best defense comment but I agree with the rest of what you said.

I said arguably, so lets argue!!!!!!!!! :smiley_wi

I'll start with the line: Advantage Davis :)

Bison05
February 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM

See my previous post:nod:

BEAR
February 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM

:eyebrow:

UCA lost a bunch of seniors. Not all were starters of course, but the biggest pool of talent was. Where you got I said you lost a ton of senior starters puzzles me. Although I will admit the only teams I can speak about are SFA and SHSU. Maybe if more Southland teams played us last year a little more insight would have been available. :read: xlolx But that's ok. It's a new year. Now everyone in the Southland will get their shots. Aim High. :nod: xlolx These are just predictions...with the insight of great prophets like TexasTerror and Slycat of course...maybe after next year more info will be available to make an educated guess..:smiley_wi

Just figured it out...ditto in the qoute represents the original post by the original poster..not me...now I see why you thought that..

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
These are just predictions...with the insight of great prophets like TexasTerror and Slycat of course...maybe after next year more info will be available to make an educated guess..:smiley_wi

I haven't even philosophized yet! :confused:

TT's SLC Predictions to come...:thumbsup:

ucdtim17
February 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM

I think everyone knows the top 4 have been very competitive over the past 3 years and while NDSU had an amazing year last year, there's no reason to think they'll get the same breaks again (and blown calls in Davis). Any of the four could rise to the top next year (I would hope however playing for a playoff berth will count for something for UCD though)

BEAR
February 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I haven't even philosophized yet! :confused:

TT's SLC Predictions to come...:thumbsup:

Notice I said INSIGHTS of TT...not prophecys xlolx

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
TT's SLC Predictions...

1) McNeese... young team just getting better
2) SHSU ... not many pieces from puzzle missing. How will Bomar do?
3) NWST ... always in the mix, if they can recover from tough OOC
4) TXST ... will Wright keep them with a winning record and another shot at SLC title in last week of season?
5) SELA ... potential spoiler as always, I would not be surprised to see in top three
6) SFA ... I don't have high hopes for the Jacks. Can't seem to get their act together. Were okay last year, but not sure they really make a dent in SLC.
7) UCA ... loses quite a bit and pressure will be on UCA to produce, may move up, but not much
8) Nicholls ... always good for an upset (or two), but this team needs to develop faster

I Bleed Purple
February 5th, 2007, 07:30 PM

McBride is finally getting his recruits to be upperclassmen this up coming year. More experience for starters.

Except of course quarterback. Hopes ride on Leggat. That's the problem. What we wouldn't give to have Jamie Martin again. Middle of the road is where to rank us currently. 2007 leading rusher in the BSC will probably come from WSU again because we'll have no choice but to run.

McNeese75
February 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
1. McNeese State - Lots of weapons coming back
2. Sam Houston State - Can Bomar lead them to the Promised Land?
3. Central Arkansas - :nod: they will finish this high (or higher)
4. Northwestern State - Stoker will have to replace Collins on D
5. Texas State - New coach, great QB, must replace Castillo
6. Stephen F. Austin - Southall's back for new coach Harper
7. Southeastern Louisiana - Lucas, Gilbert form dangerous run tandem; but can they pass and can they stop the run???
8. Nicholls State - a few key losses, could flip with SLU

I doubt UCA finishes in the top 5. When you lose 21 seniors, you are rebuilding I don't care who you recruit or what transfers you pick up (See Tx State last year). This is not a slam at the Bears, its just a fact of the game, we have all been there.:nod:

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I doubt UCA finishes in the top 5. When you lose 21 seniors, you are rebuilding I don't care who you recruit or what transfers you pick up (See Tx State last year). This is not a slam at the Bears, its just a fact of the game, we have all been there.:nod:

Of course, you can easily bounce from last to first...so UCA fan should not think they'll just get stuck in the cellar like Southwest Texas used to be...:nod:

SHSU went from 2-9 to Div I semifinalist in the course of a year! :thumbsup:

McNeese75
February 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Of course, you can easily bounce from last to first...so UCA fan should not think they'll just get stuck in the cellar like Southwest Texas used to be...:nod:

SHSU went from 2-9 to Div I semifinalist in the course of a year! :thumbsup:

I never said they would be in the cellar :rolleyes:

And of course I am sure you expect to get back there next year right??? :)

NDSUFREAK
February 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Remember, UCD, that you guys are coming into the hostile FFD. A lot of things have changed since you guys were last here.....

NSUDemon98
February 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM

UCABears is pretty high on his team...and with good reason after the season they had. Let them learn the hard way like the rest of us...

slostang
February 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Remember, UCD, that you guys are coming into the hostile FFD. A lot of things have changed since you guys were last here.....
I am glad that NDSU is traveling to San Luis Obispo next year. The FFD is one tough place to win.

McNeese75
February 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
UCABears is pretty high on his team...and with good reason after the season they had. Let them learn the hard way like the rest of us...

;)

bjtheflamesfan
February 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
My picks for the Big South:

1. Coastal Carolina (call me a traitor but until somebody finishes ahead of them, and I'm not counting the year CSU and CCU tied, Coastal is the team to beat)
2. Liberty- Lots of returning faces, especially on offense, LU could finally get over the hump and surprise some people
3. Gardner-Webb- Always a threat in conference
4. Charleston Southern- New faces at key positions could set the Bucs back this year
5. VMI- They have improved the last few years but the rest of the conference has too

AggiePride
February 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM

And that would be one loss, and probably our toughest away game, but hardly 4th in the GWFC at 3-1. :nod:

Welcome to Sochor field GWFC.

Sly Fox
February 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
1. Coastal Carolina (call me a traitor)

Traitor! :nono:

R.A.
February 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Well... it'll probably be between Hampton, SCSU, and DSU in the MEAC again...

DSU and SCSU have some strong leadership returning in the QB position... I think SCSU might be over the hump.

I'm going with SCSU, for now...

Eyes of Old Main
February 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM
The ex-Patriot Leaguers: Higgins and Lembo are good coaches but their teams are in tough positions. App St, FU, and WC are also well coached but have established levels of success. Moving up the ladder is tough in a small conference with some heavyweights that are strong every season.

Wofford is a heavyweight now?!?!?!

We have finally arrived! Thanks for throwing us in that discussion!

bjtheflamesfan
February 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Traitor! :nono:
Thanks Sly...Having seen LU play Coastal the last few years I am of the opinion that Coastal is gonna be the team to beat until somebody does exactly that. Coastal has won or shared all but one conference title since they started football. I think that if LU can beat Coastal this year then they might be able to win the title.

UCABEARS75
February 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Based upon what I saw last year, in person and on TV, and upon what I have read I would predict McNeese to win the SLC.

While we did lose a lot of seniors we do have a lot of talent returning, in particular on offense. Our defense will have to grow up quickly with a couple of JUCO transfers added to a couple of returning starters and some pretty good young talent.

I do think we will be competitive in most in not all our games but we are losing 4 nearly guaranteed wins (no D-II games) but we also will not have the travel woes we had last year.

Bottom line, I predict we will be around 6-5 overall and 4-3 in the conference.

p.s. In 2008 we should be MUCH better as we do not lose much next year and our QB will be a senior.

McNeese75
February 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Based upon what I saw last year, in person and on TV, and upon what I have read I would predict McNeese to win the SLC.

Bottom line, I predict we will be around 6-5 overall and 4-3 in the conference.

p.s. In 2008 we should be MUCH better as we do not lose much next year and our QB will be a senior.

I am not predicting a conference champion at this time. McNeese still needs to shore up the D line and we will not know about that until August Camp. I think your prediction for the Bears is reasonable. :nod:

blk
February 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Great West 2007

1. NDSU - Not much reason to think they will drop off any from last year.
2. Cal Poly - Wouldn't be suprised if they finished #1. These guys are always good.
3. UC Davis - The Aggies were a better team last year than their record indicated.
4. SDSU - Dangerous football team. Had a good year in 2006, but they probably overachieved.
5. SUU - Not much reason to think they will climb out of the cellar.

Ronbo
February 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM

App. State loses 22 seniors and everyone is handing them the Conference title and the NC.

UCABEARS75
February 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am not predicting a conference champion at this time. McNeese still needs to shore up the D line and we will not know about that until August Camp. I think your prediction for the Bears is reasonable. :nod:

Gotta pick somebody to win it and based upon what I saw last year ya'll have the best shot.

Hope the game on 11/17/07 (I think ) has a couple of winning teams going at it.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
App. State loses 22 seniors and everyone is handing them the Conference title and the NC.

I agree with you. The key is in replacing the guys on the front seven. SoCon is a league with good running backs and they will come right after those new faces.

Peems
February 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM

ronbo's words of wisdom. the attack starts in 5 4 3 2...

JohnStOnge
February 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I'm not even going to attempt to make a prediction. I'm just hoping McNeese is significantly better on defense next season. I think that if everybody they already have on offense stays healthy and eligible they will be very strong on that side of the ball.

Peems
February 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not even going to attempt to make a prediction. I'm just hoping McNeese is significantly better on defense next season. I think that if everybody they already have on offense stays healthy and eligible they will be very strong on that side of the ball.

whitehead graduated didnt he? what about smith?

McNeese75
February 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM

:D Sorry, they were both Jrs and will be back (along with most of the other skill players on the offensive side of the ball):hurray:

McNeese75
February 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Not me xlolx

Kill'em
February 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not handing them anything. App St is a deep team with key returnees. They will be challenged, but I think they can win it all.

OSRacer
February 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
OVC

1. EKU
2. EIU
3. UTM
4. JSU
5. Tech
6. Murray
7. Samford
8. TSU
9. SEMO

Panthers_Blue
February 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
OSRacer tell why you think the OVC will turn out like this

jmufootball2
February 7th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Was that a receiver getting leveled over the middle? If so where is the ball or was he just getting smacked.

Panthers_Blue
February 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Ball is left of the picture.

McNeese72
February 7th, 2007, 08:03 AM
1. McNeese St. ditto
5. Texas State ditto
6. NWST ditto
7. SFA ditto
8. SELA

I don't know where UCA will end up this season, but as McNeese fans have found in the past, it is harder to replace a big good group of seniors than most fans think. See, the McNeese teams of 1996 and 2004 as evidence. :)

Doc

McNeese72
February 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Nope, both were underclassmen and walked away with hardware at the Football banquet.

Whitehead with the MVP Trophy:

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/fbbq07mvp.jpg

Smith, on the left, with Outstanding Defensive Player Trophy (and that is Qb Derrick Fourroux on the right with the Offensive Trophy)

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/fbbq07odp&oop.jpg

Doc

buckp
February 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Stop it Doc! You're getting me all worked up about McNeese football and it is only February! ;)

bjtheflamesfan
February 7th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I should follow up my post earlier about the Big South prediction:

Coastal Carolina does lose some pretty significant talent (especially on the offensive side of the ball) but the Big South title has pretty much always gone through Conway the last three years either in whole or in part) I'm hoping to see LU take them down in Lynchburg this year though and LU-Gardner Webb this year to be for the outright title

SpartanLegion
February 7th, 2007, 09:58 AM
The MEAC will go this way:
Hampton(could flip-flop with SCSU)
South Carolina State(could flip-flop with Hampton)
Delaware State(strong contender)
Norfolk State(dark horse of the conference)
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
Morgan State
Howard
NCA&T
Winston Salem State
NCCU(transition year)

Of course this is just my opinion. My Spartans are long, long overdue for a successful football season.

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
:D Sorry, they were both Jrs and will be back (along with most of the other skill players on the offensive side of the ball):hurray:

ugh for the folks in the SLC. whitehead had moves on moves and smith will definitely get a shot in the pros.

Spooney-Cat
February 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM
ugh for the folks in the SLC. whitehead had moves on moves and smith will definitely get a shot in the pros.

Bring'em on. We'll be ready in San Marcos for 4 in a row against McNeese.
xlolx xlolx

McNeese75
February 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Bring'em on. We'll be ready in San Marcos for 4 in a row against McNeese.
xlolx xlolx

If we turn it over 6 times again this year you just might luck out :bang:

Maroons
February 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I almost feel dirty even making a prediction as so many things can happen between now and next Thanksgiving... but anyway... for fun...

1. UT-Martin
2. Eastern Kentucky
3. Eastern Illinois
3. Jacksonville State
5. Tennessee State
6. Murray State
7. Tennessee Tech
8. Samford
9. Southeast Missouri
10. Austin Peay

Why do I feel this way? Well, at #1, Martin has a ton of talent returning and should only be better now that its QB's have some experience. Plus, they don't play EKU.

EKU has a challenging road schedule, but the talent and experience to make things happen, especially on offense. I believe this is the year the Colonels put it together and stop shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers. Plus, the coaching staff is probably feeling a little heat.

EIU always finds a way to be in the mix and next year should be no exception. JSU is kicking themselves for last year. I think they'll be back this year.

Tennessee State features the dangerous Antonio Heffner at QB. If he had decent protection last year, he would have been unstoppable. They'll be good this year and just a few players from great.

By the end of 2006, Murray was starting something like 10 freshman. They'll mature quickly and leave the bottom of the OVC.

TTU was surprising last year, but I believe the Golden Eagles are suffering a coaching change which I have to believe will set them back a bit.

Samford and SEMO are both "rebuilding" with new coaches in 07.

Austin Peay is just re-entering the world of scholarship football after being the doormat of the Pioneer league.

OLDLCOACH111
February 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
BIG SOUTH
1. GARDNER-WEBB
2. LIBERTY
3.COASTAL
4.CHARLSTON SOUTHERN
5.VMI

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I almost feel dirty even making a prediction as so many things can happen between now and next Thanksgiving... but anyway... for fun...

1. UT-Martin
2. Eastern Kentucky
3. Eastern Illinois
3. Jacksonville State
5. Tennessee State
6. Murray State
7. Tennessee Tech
8. Samford
9. Southeast Missouri
10. Austin Peay

Overall I like your analysis but I would put EKU and Murray lower with Samford higher. Samford is going through a coaching transition but I think it will help in that they are getting a better coach. That said I see Samford maybe 6th.

EKU05
February 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Overall I like your analysis but I would put EKU and Murray lower with Samford higher. Samford is going through a coaching transition but I think it will help in that they are getting a better coach. That said I see Samford maybe 6th.

It all depends on how badly we shoot ourselves in the foot. Over the last month of the season it appeared at though EKU was the best team in the OVC. They were just in too deep a hole for it to matter.

After being down 28-0 at the end of the first quarter against EIU the Colonels dominated the final three frames only to fall about a half-drive (read: interception) short of one of the best comebacks of the year in college football. They never lost again winning their last four in a row including on the road at #8 UTM.

This team can absolutely win the OVC. We just can't dig ourselves an early hole this time.

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM
How many starters back?

parr90
February 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Socon:

1. Georgia Southern...To much power, speed. New coach that knows his stuff.
2. Furman...Decent again but their sissyness well keep them out.
3. App st.... to many losses, start of a downslide for them.
4. Wofford...cant close the deal
5. Chatt
6. Western Carolina
7.Elon

EKU05
February 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
How many starters back?

The defense will be a little young, but we've never had any trouble rotating new guys in their. The defense is like clock work.

The offense returns everyone except for a tight end and one lineman.

JSU Fan
February 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
OVC thoughts....

JSU hosts EIU, UT-M & EKU this year. HUGE advantage to the Gamecocks if they can sweep those foes. They also DO NOT play TSU this year, which is a plus considering how Tiger QB Antonio Heffner torched them in 2006.

Look for JSU to possibly go to spread option (with more emphasis on the option) look for 2007. They have a stable of young backs and a JUCO QB who has a good arm and good feet. I think the offense will have to utilize more of a ball-control attack in 2007 to offset several key losses on the defensive side. Look for the Gamecocks to run for over 200 yards a game and play for field-position whenever they can early in the season to give the defense a chance to prosper. If the running attack struggles, it'll be a long season.

JSU must replace four OL starters, but two other young lineman return who had to play quite a bit due to injuries and all of the 2006 freshman O-linemen were red-shirted. I think the O-line will be fine.

Regarding the rest of the league, I see SEMO making an improvement in Tony Samuel's second season and Samford will get better simply because their coaching staff has been upgraded. They have also had a nice recruiting year, but that won't start paying off big until 2008 & 2009.

TTU has a new staff but it's led by the coach with the worst record (minimum 10 years as a HC) in the game today in Watson Brown.

IMHO, he couldn't lead dishwater down a drain. xidiotx

Murray played numerous true-freshman last season and they'll be improved, but it will be 2008 before they begin a move to the top half of the league standings.

Austin Peay returns to scholarship football this year and for their efforts they'll finish last in the league. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can become competitive. 2007 will be a long year for the Governors.

UT-M & EIU have to be considered the favorites based on last season but it will not surprise me if either JSU / EKU / TSU claim the title. While not a great league, there is not much difference between the top five programs and the fact that the league placed two teams in the playoffs last year is a plus nationally in terms of respect.

However, it would be nice for the league to claim a playoff win sometime while we're all young and can enjoy it. :thumbsup:

The BIGGEST game in JSU's season (and also EKU's) is September 22nd when EKU travels to Paul Snow Stadium. If JSU improves their all-time record vs. the Colonels to 4-1 that day, the league title becomes more than a possibility. If EKU wins that contest, then the Colonels may have the jumpstart they need to avoid the early-season malaise they encountered in 2006.

My predictions....

1. Jacksonville State
2. Eastern Kentucky
3. UT-Martin
3. Eastern Illinois
5. Tennessee State
6. Southeast Missouri
7. Samford
8. Murray State
9. Tennessee Tech
10. Austin Peay

Out.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Socon:

5. Chatt
6. Western Carolina
7.Elon

A GSU fan commenting that Wofford can't close the deal? They've owned the Eagles.

GSU has the fastest player in the conference. He's dangerous, but he's also it. Foster goes down, GSU will be staring 3-8 in the face again.

bjtheflamesfan
February 7th, 2007, 11:44 PM
BIG SOUTH
1. GARDNER-WEBB
2. LIBERTY
3.COASTAL
4.CHARLSTON SOUTHERN
5.VMI
Do explain your predicted order my friend

txstatebobcat
February 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
My view of the SLC.

First of all I think that the SLC will be far stronger this coming season than last year. Strong enough I would say that it will easily be considered in the top two conferences in the FCS for 2007. With that said, there really is very little difference between the top 6 teams, thus my thinking is that the school with the most momentum going into conference play will more than likely get the title.

It's all in the schedule. To tough and your school is setting itself up for failure.To light and there won't be enough preparation for conference play.
The only schedules I've seen are SHSU,NSU and TxSt.

1st: Sam Houston State - Bomar will be another in a great line of transfer QBs to attend SHSU. Also an easier schedule than in 2006 should give the Kats plenty of momentum going into Conference play.

2nd: Southeast Louisiana- The surprise school of the 2007 season. Nothing much to base it on, just call it a hunch.

3rd: Texas State- Just like in 2006, we have the talent to be 1st in 2007. However it all depends on how we adjust to a new coach, even one that's been a part of the program for the past three years. Last year we started 1-4 but finished 4-2 with only one team(UKentucky) beating us soundly. Whatever happens I doubt we will be less than third place and that's why I put us here.

4th:Nicholls State- The option and solid defense will give the colonels a solid year.

5th: McNeese State- I think our(TxSt) game against them was the exception and not the norm. I wasn't to impressed with them, but the cowboys proved me wrong by winning the conference in 2006. Either way they weren't leaps and bounds ahead of anyone in the SLC last season. With SLC being much stronger in 2007, I just don't see McNeese making much noise during conference play. Especially if they go with a tough non-conference schedule this coming season.

6th: Northwestern State- Very talented football team that insists on playing one of the top 5 toughest schedules year in and year out. If they would quit playing so many BCS schools and schedule mor FCS or lower division schools they would be at number two or three.

7th: UCA- Not their year. However I think that in 2008 or 2009 they will consistently be in the top three of the SLC.

Eyes of Old Main
February 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
A GSU fan commenting that Wofford can't close the deal? They've owned the Eagles.

But it was all a fluke, don't you know. GSU let Wofford beat them 4 of the last 5 years to get us overconfident so they could take advantage of us in 2007.

I also noticed he left #8 blank and omitted The Citadel. Either he can't remember all the members of the SoCon, or he's got something against the Bulldogs because there's no way they will finish last.

Then again, if he thinks Furman is "sissy", then maybe he should consider who won that game last year, who made the playoffs last year, and who's been to Chattanooga most recently. Maybe he's still bitter about 1988.

Maroons
February 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
UT-M & EIU have to be considered the favorites based on last season but it will not surprise me if either JSU / EKU / TSU claim the title.

At this point in the year, I agree 100 percent, JSU Fan.

parr90
February 8th, 2007, 06:31 AM

GSU has the fastest player in the conference. He's dangerous, but he's also it. Foster goes down, GSU will be staring 3-8 in the face again.

See you dont know what Im talking about because your not use to winning National Championships.

PaladinFan
February 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM
See you dont know what Im talking about because your not use to winning National Championships.

Right.

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM
1. McNeese--so much talent.
2. Texas State--what's the best thing to happen to freshmen? they become sophomores. George, Zwinggi, McCorkle, and company year 2.
3. SHS--Bomar...and who else?
4. SFA--QB and RB combination will keep them in games if they just RUN THE DANG BALL!
5. Nicholls--they're always in the mix.
6. NWSt.--tough OOC and have to go to McNeese
7. SELA--for the past two years, i've predicted you as my conference champ *sigh*
8. UCA--you lose that many seniors, you're going to have growing pains. just ask us...

OLDLCOACH111
February 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
BIG SOUTH
1. GARDNER-WEBB
2. LIBERTY
3.COASTAL
4.CHARLSTON SOUTHERN
5.VMI

Do explain your predicted order my friend

Well # 1 and 2 in the Big south can go either way between Gardner-Webb and Liberty, They both have lost a little amount of seniors and they both have almost all their starters coming back. I give Gardner Webb the upper hand, the fact is Gardner webb holds a overall 8-4 mark against liberty and 5-2 mark since 2000. Since the teams pretty much will be even in talent, I give the edge to Gardner Webb based on past performances.

#3 Coastal loses alot of seniors, this is simply their rebuilding year.

#4 Charleston Loses Their star quarterback and star reciever. That was basically their whole O. I belive they may lose their star lineback also.

#5 VMI can very well move up to 4 but I don't see them moving into the top 3.

GoldandBlack
February 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM

That comment = zero credibility.

What do past championships have to do with the 2007 season and probable outcomes? Zilch - Nada.:eyebrow:

Ask Miami.

Pokes14
February 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
1. McNeese--so much talent.
2. Texas State--what's the best thing to happen to freshmen? they become sophomores. George, McCorkle, and company year 2.
3. SHS--Bomar...and who else?
4. SFA--QB and RB combination will keep them in games if they just RUN THE DANG BALL!
5. Nicholls--they're always in the mix.
6. NWSt.--tough OOC and have to go to McNeese
7. SELA--for the past two years, i've predicted you as my conference champ *sigh*
8. UCA--you lose that many seniors, you're going to have growing pains. just ask us...

i agree with your prediction. McNeese and Texas State will battle for the top spot. Not worried about Bomar

CharlestonAppFan
February 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I'm really more scared of our game at the Citadel and GSU than I am about the Apps. Yes, they are back to back champs, but they haven't shown me they are flat out better than Furman. You put the game at Paladin Stadium with a healthy Jerome Felton, well, I like our chances.

Furman just CAN'T afford to go on their typical midseason roller coaster. The Paladins have as much talent as any team in the country. The question is whether or not they will show up every game.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I guess their 2 NC's, their butt kicking against Furman last year, and their win in the semi's in 2005 weren't good enough for you? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CharlestonAppFan
February 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Socon:

5. Chatt
6. Western Carolina
7.Elon

Again...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Does it ever stop? I guess our quarterback who was a freshman who won the national championship and our running back who broke the TD record in a season (although AP would have set the bar too high for anyone to reach if they kept up with those stats in his day) is the start of a downslide. And our recruits that we having to battle against Clemson and the ACC are starting the decline in talent for our team. Guess us Apps are all blind.....:cool:

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I dunno what PaladinFan was thinking. App St was much better than Furman in 2006 and slightly better in '05. However, he is correct to say that 2007 is a new season and Furman is very talented...

CharlestonAppFan
February 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I dunno what PaladinFan was thinking. App St was much better than Furman in 2006 and slightly better in '05. However, he is correct to say that 2007 is a new season and Furman is very talented...

Not disagreeing with you on that point, just what he said. I think Furman will challenge App for the title.

james_lawfirm
February 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Socon:

5. Chatt
6. Western Carolina
7.Elon

No way is Ga. Southern going to be at the top of the SoCon at the end of the season. They will be lucky not to do worse than they did in '06 with a 3 - 8 record. New coach + unknown system + disappointed players + angry and impatient alumni = bad results.

Furman may be good in '07, 'tis true.

ASU must be the team to beat again in '07 in the SoCon. Edwards & Richardson are back. Same coaches, same system, players all on the same page. Big question is the OL & DL, but there will be new players to step up & make things happen. Plays Furman away.

Here's my best guess for '07 reg. season:

1) ASU
2) Furman
3) Wofford
4) Elon
5) Ga. Southern
6) Citadel
7) Chattanooga
8) Western

fuEMO
February 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I would have to be smoking crack to come out of KBS thinking APP was lucky to beat us in 06.

Spring practice will tell alot about Furman, mostly on offense. Will Gray return 100% from rehab and have lost weight. IMO if he does not the ball goes over to Sorrells and Worley. And I like both these guys. Felton will be 100% and has no history of being a knicked up player, so I think he rebounds in 07 big. The offensive line should be back to Furman standards, even with the loss of Hendrix, Furman has a ton of folks that have applied, so the question is do you go with a young ex Paladin or go out of the family. The key here Menocal's return. Menocal at center, will move Goolsby over to guard. I like the lineup of Cockburn, Haynes, Menocal, Goolsby, Bell and throw Slaughter, Landers, Shuford, Ayoob and Frazier in the mix too.

The real news could be can redshirt Mike Brown steal the show at RB in the spring, I think he can. I will go out on a limb and say by the middle of the season you could see a heavy rotation of Brown/LaFrance/Gipson in that order.

The biggest question mark. Thomas Twitty and Max Lerner rank as two of Furmans highest profile recruits. Can they fill the positions of FS and SS?

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I would have to be smoking crack to come out of KBS thinking APP was lucky to beat us in 06.

Spring practice will tell alot about Furman, mostly on offense. Will Gray return 100% from rehab and have lost weight. IMO if he does not the ball goes over to Sorrells and Worley. And I like both these guys. Felton will be 100% and has no history of being a knicked up player, so I think he rebounds in 07 big. The offensive line should be back to Furman standards, even with the loss of Hendrix, Furman has a ton of folks that have applied, so the question is do you go with a young ex Paladin or go out of the family. The key here Menocal's return. Menocal at center, will move Goolsby over to guard. I like the lineup of Cockburn, Haynes, Menocal, Goolsby, Bell and throw Slaughter, Landers, Shuford, Ayoob and Frazier in the mix too.

The real news could be can redshirt Mike Brown steal the show at RB in the spring, I think he can. I will go out on a limb and say by the middle of the season you could see a heavy rotation of Brown/LaFrance/Gipson in that order.

The biggest question mark. Thomas Twitty and Max Lerner rank as two of Furmans highest profile recruits. Can they fill the positions of FS and SS?

Won't Thacker be back at SS?

I agree there could be a rotation at TB but there might not be a lot of carries to go around, since Felton gets a lot. Brown might be more useful on special teams this season.

I've been saying the same thing about Gray, too. Constant injuries at the QB position are impossible to overcome. I'm not sure Gray is better than Sorrells or Worley anyway, though if he shows up at 220 and stays healthy he could have a big year.

Appstate29
February 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
App has big questions on DL, but I think the leadership in the secondary and the redshirting/tf players will hold them up heres my guess for '07

1.ASU
2.FU
3.Woff
4.El Cid (yeah thats right they finally do something)
5.Elon
6.GSU
7.Chatt
8.WCU :(

PaladinFan
February 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Yes, Furman got whipped last year. Their quarterback was banged up and Jerome Felton might as well not have dressed. ASU racked up 28 points on 87 yrds of offense. ASU had the better team, no doubt, won't even debate that. Furman played a sloppy game, but should have taken the lead into half time. I don't think that same "win in boone" pressure will be on the team this season. That blowout might have been the best thing for us.

If Felton is healthy, Gray needs to be under center. If 45 can't go, play Sorrells.

Peems
February 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
what position will Foster play for GSU this year?

Sir William
February 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Socon:

5. Chatt
6. Western Carolina
7.Elon

LSD is an illegal substance. I suggest you get treatment ASAP.

Sir William
February 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
1. App...until they are dethroned
2. Furman
3. Wofford...will give FU run for money
4. Citadel
5. GSU
6. Elon...Lembo movin' em up; could beat GSU
7. UTC
8. WCU

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM

No, he is NOT it. I think you will see that BVG's offense sucked! It was not the lack of playmakers, it was crappy playcalling. There are playmakers, we need to put them in a better position to make plays. Lewis, for example, has no business being involved in an option play. He is not an option-back.

I will grant you this, Foster is the most versatile back we have and is a threat, no matter where he lines up.

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
No way is Ga. Southern going to be at the top of the SoCon at the end of the season. They will be lucky not to do worse than they did in '06 with a 3 - 8 record. New coach Better coach
+ unknown systemBetter system
+ disappointed playersbetter make that HUNGRY PLAYERS
+ angry and impatient alumni = bad results.

Furman may be good in '07, 'tis true.

ASU must be the team to beat again in '07 in the SoCon. Edwards & Richardson are back. Same coaches, same system, players all on the same page. Big question is the OL & DL, but there will be new players to step up & make things happen. Plays Furman away.

Here's my best guess for '07 reg. season:

1) ASU
2) Furman
3) Wofford
4) Elon
5) Ga. Southern
6) Citadel
7) Chattanooga
8) Western
We are still an unknown, true, but I think the SoCon will see a better Georgia Southern team next season. This one will have a chip on its shoulder. :nod:

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
what position will Foster play for GSU this year?
I think he will be a receiver/returner. I don't think we'll see him at QB at all.

GoldandBlack
February 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think this coming season has the potential to be the best, top to bottom, that the SoCon has seen in a long, long time.

I certainly hope so.:nod:

ATrain
February 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Big South:
1,2,3-Liberty, Coastal, Gardner-Webb (in any order, but I want LU to win it)

4-Chuck South/VMI

5-Presby (technically not in the league yet, but playing a full league slate so might as well add them)

6-Chuck South/VMI (one of these will beat Presby, the other will lose)

ASU
February 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
ronbo's words of wisdom. the attack starts in 5 4 3 2...

Might as well.....

ASU
February 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
:hurray:
No, he is NOT it. I think you will see that BVG's offense sucked! It was not the lack of playmakers, it was crappy playcalling. There are playmakers, we need to put them in a better position to make plays. Lewis, for example, has no business being involved in an option play. He is not an option-back.

I will grant you this, Foster is the most versatile back we have and is a threat, no matter where he lines up.
:hurray: :bang: As an App fan I agree....Georgia Southern has some good players, would have had more had temporary coach not got rid of them, that should really play well if put into the right positions and with a real coach. I hope they win all but two games....both of them in Boone.

PaladinFan
February 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
If not Foster then who? I'm sorry, I think they will be much better, but they will rest their laurels on their defense. You putting all your faith in Clark? Griffin (has he even played a down?)? Lamar Lewis looked spectacular against bad competition, but made absolutely no noise against tougher defenses.

GSU has talented athletes and good players. There are just too many question marks at key positions to say they will contend for the conference, namely quarterback.

citdog
February 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM
1. App
2 Cit
3 Baptists
4 Methodists
5 South Ga Clayeaters
6 Chatt
7 CCC
8 Elon

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
If not Foster then who? I'm sorry, I think they will be much better, but they will rest their laurels on their defense. You putting all your faith in Clark? Griffin (has he even played a down?)? Lamar Lewis looked spectacular against bad competition, but made absolutely no noise against tougher defenses.

GSU has talented athletes and good players. There are just too many question marks at key positions to say they will contend for the conference, namely quarterback.
Certainly, there are a lot of questions going into next year. I feel confident that Coach Hatcher a former Harlon Hill Trophy winner (Division II's Payton Award) at QB at Valdosta St and winner of a D-II Championship as a Head Coach there, can teach these QB's how to play the position and won.From what I've heard, the defensive coordinator is a good one so I hope he can improve the defense (my biggest area of concern). We might not win the SoCon next year, but we will make noise.

Don't forget, Paul Johnson took over in a similar situation in'97 and won the SoCon. Y'all know the rest.

Dabnus Brickey
February 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
CSU wasn't even a solid second place team with their studs. I don't know how a CSU supporter can be shocked that they aren't in the top 3 this coming season.

citdog
February 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hatcher aint Paul Johnson. You don't have the players to throw the ball 35 times a game! Your AD must be an idiot to hire TWO coaches in a row whose system doesn't fit your talent!

justsaying
February 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
BIG SOUTH
1. GARDNER-WEBB
2. LIBERTY
3.COASTAL
4.CHARLSTON SOUTHERN
5.VMI

Well # 1 and 2 in the Big south can go either way between Gardner-Webb and Liberty, They both have lost a little amount of seniors and they both have almost all their starters coming back. I give Gardner Webb the upper hand, the fact is Gardner webb holds a overall 8-4 mark against liberty and 5-2 mark since 2000. Since the teams pretty much will be even in talent, I give the edge to Gardner Webb based on past performances.

#3 Coastal loses alot of seniors, this is simply their rebuilding year.

#4 Charleston Loses Their star quarterback and star reciever. That was basically their whole O. I belive they may lose their star lineback also.

#5 VMI can very well move up to 4 but I don't see them moving into the top 3.

I agree, Gardner-Webb is a dangerous team. Most of the starters coming back have been starting since their freshman year and now are going to be Jrs. Vey experienced squad.

parr90
February 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Furman has some decent players but they are sissys. Max learner.........please! App competing with clemson for players xlolx. GSU will win the socon and probably make it to the NC. You boys are gonna hate seeing #7 and #8 the next year. We are what all you boys inspire to be.

Mountaineer
February 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Furman has some decent players but they are sissys. Max learner.........please! App competing with clemson for players xlolx. GSU will win the socon and probably make it to the NC. You boys are gonna hate seeing #7 and #8 the next year. We are what all you boys inspire to be.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5323/sprohibitedax9.gif

parr90
February 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5323/sprohibitedax9.gif

Dont make me mad son!

phillyAPP
February 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
How many IF's did you use?

I'm used to FU's, but i am getiing used to IF's.

SoCon is always competitive at the top half, even for 2 Time NC, APP.

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Hatcher aint Paul Johnson. You don't have the players to throw the ball 35 times a game! Your AD must be an idiot to hire TWO coaches in a row whose system doesn't fit your talent!
Not quite true. We are deep at wide receiver. We also have 5 QB's on the roster, six if last year's projected starter, Chris Griffin is returning to school. The offense will be a year removed from the triple option. What we need is the QB hitting his target and the receivers catching the passes. We didn't do that well last year. Besides, Coach Hatcheer has already stated his offense will be based around its strength. If running the football is our strength, then we will run the ball.

james_lawfirm
February 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Better coachBetter system better make that HUNGRY PLAYERS
We are still an unknown, true, but I think the SoCon will see a better Georgia Southern team next season. This one will have a chip on its shoulder. :nod:

Kill'em:

I really wish you all the best. But, I just don't see how you can re-tool and knock off some programs with less turmoil in their systems. My personal preference is for great games between ASU & Ga. So. & Furman & even Wofford - all of which ASU wins in a squeaker!!

But it seems to me that the coaching package is far more important than most fans realize. We here on AGS are usually too busy keyed in on our favorite players. But, the head coach and his assistants set the table and make it possible for the players to win the games. BVG may have been the best thing since sliced bread, but he had some dues to pay before he would have been successful, even at as halloed a place as Ga.So. For pete's sake, when Mack Brown hisself was head coach at ASU (1981?) he went 6 - 5 !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I sure hope Ga.So is competitive and even successful next year. But the odds are not in their favor. Best of luck. See you in Boone.

fuEMO
February 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Won't Thacker be back at SS?

I agree there could be a rotation at TB but there might not be a lot of carries to go around, since Felton gets a lot. Brown might be more useful on special teams this season.

I've been saying the same thing about Gray, too. Constant injuries at the QB position are impossible to overcome. I'm not sure Gray is better than Sorrells or Worley anyway, though if he shows up at 220 and stays healthy he could have a big year.

Thacker should be at SS. But if the coaches want more physical play I'm betting on the Lerner/Twitty tandem.

As far as Brown goes he was challenging LaFrance in the pre season. Brown will not dance like Gipson and he hits the gaps with speed and power and he is low to the ground 5-7ish. I could be way off base but I think the coaches will open it up for competition at qb and rb.

Kill'em
February 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Kill'em:

I really wish you all the best. But, I just don't see how you can re-tool and knock off some programs with less turmoil in their systems. My personal preference is for great games between ASU & Ga. So. & Furman & even Wofford - all of which ASU wins in a squeaker!!

But it seems to me that the coaching package is far more important than most fans realize. We here on AGS are usually too busy keyed in on our favorite players. But, the head coach and his assistants set the table and make it possible for the players to win the games. BVG may have been the best thing since sliced bread, but he had some dues to pay before he would have been successful, even at as halloed a place as Ga.So. For pete's sake, when Mack Brown hisself was head coach at ASU (1981?) he went 6 - 5 !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I sure hope Ga.So is competitive and even successful next year. But the odds are not in their favor. Best of luck. See you in Boone.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not predicting the 9-2 season Paul Johnson had when he took over. It's just that from what I've been hearing, these players really feel they have something to prove. Let's face it, they took a lot of heat from the coaches and from the fans. Many are apparently glad to see BVG gone and are really excited about playing for Coach Hatcher. There is no way to predict how well we will do in '07 but I think we'll be a much better team. I agree it is going to be an uphill battle for the coaches and players. We, the fans, need to realize this and do a better job supporting them than we did last year.

I wonder if the Georgia Southern/App. St game can top last year's "epic." It can, only if , and that is a big IF, we win.

BDKJMU
February 8th, 2007, 10:51 PM
A-10 North:
1. UMASS: 8-3
2. UNH: 8-3
3 Maine: 6-5
4. Northeastern: 5-6
5. Hofsta: 4-7
6 URI: 3-8

A-10 South:
1. Delaware: 9-2
2. JMU: 9-2 (loses at UNC & at UD)
3. Villanova: 7-4
4. Towson: 5-6
5. W&M: 4-7
6. UR: 4-7 (finished 6-5/3-5 in A-10 /1-4 against A-10 south last yr & loses 8 starters off of defense (has 9 coming back on offense)

This would be a total conference record of 48-48, 24-12 OOC. 06' was 23-13 OOC. Playoff teams would be UD (seed), JMU, UMass & UNH. JMU or UD in the semis.