PDA

View Full Version : NEC Pick 'em - Week 3

RedFlash
September 13th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Week Three for the NEC and all seven teams with OOC games.

Time
Teams
Massey Rating

12:30 pm
Bryant
@ Brown
# 82 (1-1)
# 95 (-)

1:00 pm
Duquesne
@ Dayton
# 69 (1-1)
# 92 (1-1)

Wagner
@ Columbia
# 85 (1-1)
# 84 (-)

2:00 pm
VMI
@ Robert Morris
# 100 (0-2)
# 102 (1-1)

Central Conn.
@ Youngstown St.
# 103 (0-2)
# 3 (1-1)

6:00 pm
Sacred Heart
@ Stony Brook
# 79 (2-0)
# 26 (1-1)

7:00 pm
Towson
@ St. Francis
# 42 (1-1)
# 46 (2-0)

· Some close match-ups in terms of the Massey Ratings - which I've included for a change. If you're interested, Massey predictions for Week 3 are here: https://www.masseyratings.com/pred.php?s=cf&sub=11605

· I’m a little surprised RMU is ranked below VMI in these ratings given that VMI lost to D-2 Catawba last week. I think RMU wins this easily.

· Curious to see how Wagner plays without their starting QB this week. Massei wasn’t bad last week, but he did have a couple of ill-advised throws that cost them. A full week of practice should help him quite a bit.

· You have to wonder what is up with Duquesne’s defense. I know they were up 17 in the 4th quarter last week, but they still only won by 5 against a Valpo team that has struggled for a number of years. Maybe Cecchini is finally turning things around out there.

· I’m still trying to figure out how in the world StFU got Towson to agree to play in Loretto this week. What a culture change from last week’s game at Maryland for the Tigers where they played in front of 37,000. StFU is lucky to get 1,500 on a good day. Hopefully this is the year the Red Flash can pull off the upset and get a measure of revenge after blowing a big lead at Towson last year.

· I expect Stony Brook and YSU to win, although SHU has played well so far this year, so that could be close. CCSU will likely struggle against YSU’s defense, so I think YSU wins by 25 or more.

· I’d like to pick Bryant in their game against Brown this week, but their defense has allowed 101 points in two games so it’s hard to pick them this week. Still it would be a nice story if Coach Perry can get his first win against his alma mater.

Last week – 6-0
Overall – 12-1

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 13th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Brown
Dayton
Columbia
VMI
Youngstown State
Stony Brook
Saint Francis University

downbythebeach
September 13th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I think I am going to go out to Loretto for the game this weekend. Should be an awesome atmosphere for an SFU game.

bonarae
September 13th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Bryant
Duquesne
Wagner
Robert Morris
Youngstown State
Stony Brook
St. Francis

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Brown
Duquesne
Wagner
Robert Morris
Youngstown State
Stony Brook
St. Francis

Last Week: 5-1 Season: 12-1

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 13th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I think I am going to go out to Loretto for the game this weekend. Should be an awesome atmosphere for an SFU game.

I will be there as well!

Bluefish845
September 14th, 2017, 08:35 AM
12:30 pm
Bryant
@ Brown

Duquesne
@ Dayton

Wagner
@ Columbia

VMI
@ Robert Morris

Central Conn. Heart breaking loss for the Blue Devils last week, too much Penquins this week
Youngstown St.

Sacred Heart
@Stonybrook
I really like this matchup, last year I was worried going into this game, but it is basically our run defense vs their running game, The Seawolves still struggle to generate a passing game. We return the whole O line which had a good game @ SB last year

7:00 pm
Towson
@ St. Francis

RedFlash
September 14th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Sacred Heart
@Stonybrook
I really like this matchup, last year I was worried going into this game, but it is basically our run defense vs their running game, The Seawolves still struggle to generate a passing game. We return the whole O line which had a good game @ SB last year

I'm anxious to see how SHU performs in this game. SHU was picked to finish 5th in the Conference, but anyone who has been following the NEC for a while knows that there's always a team from the bottom half that seems to finish in the top three each year.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Good set of match-ups this week!

cx500d
September 14th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Brown
Dayton
Columbia
VMI
Youngstown St.
Sacred Heart
St. Francis

Original_RMC
September 15th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Bryant @ Brown
I think we will see an improved Bryant team but taking Brown at home with 4 returning OL. Even though Harriott is not listed as a starter on the depth chart for Brown, they will use me in different positions from QB, RB and WR.
Brown 27 Bryant 13

Duquesne @ Dayton
Everyone was saying that this is not a good Dayton team since RMU beat them. But Dayton rebounds to beat a team from the OVC (SEMU) at home last week. Not sure if Jeske will play or not for Dayton but I see the Dukes trying to get Hines going for this game.
Dukes 24 Dayton 16

VMI @ RMU
Homecoming for RMU but don't let the 0-2 record for VMI fool you. They lost to Aire Force and to a tough DII opponent. This is one of the non-conference games that folks are expecting a win for RMU. The offense needs to get going this week and stick with an offensive line for the entire instead of playing 8-9 guys.
Walker will rebound this week and Dreher will get some room to run.
RMU 31 VMI 17

CCSU @ YSU
YSU at home will be too tough for CCSU but they will fare better than RMU last week.
YSU 34 CCSU 14

SHU @ Stony Brook
Last year Stony Brook brought their 20th ranked team into Fairfield and got smacked by SHU. This is the home opener for Stony Brook and those returning players will remember last year's outcome. This will be a tight battle but think Stony Brook pulls it out.
Stony Brook 23 SHU 21

Towson @ SFU
Towson will arrive at the old Pine Bowl wondering where the hell they are at. You going from playing @Maryland to Loretto, PA. Where are the real stands for fans? Why can I hear fans having conversations from the sideline? And before they realize the game has started, SFU will jump on Townson early much like last year. But I feel this year SFU will hold off Towson in the 2nd half.
SFU 28 Townson 24

Wagner @ Columbia
Is Alex Thomson 100% healthy? Columbia's strength is their DL and I'm sure they will want to get after Wagner. The Lions return 13 starters (seven on offense and six on defense). 5 out of their 7 losses were decided by 10 or fewer points in 2016.
I'm not sure Wagner has recovered completely after that SFU game.
Columbia 20 Wagner 13

RedFlash
September 15th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Wagner @ Columbia
Is Alex Thomson 100% healthy? Columbia's strength is their DL and I'm sure they will want to get after Wagner. The Lions return 13 starters (seven on offense and six on defense). 5 out of their 7 losses were decided by 10 or fewer points in 2016.
Columbia 20 Wagner 13

I overheard one of the StFU players say after the game that Thomson suffered a separated shoulder. I know there are different degrees of severity and that he stayed in after the initial injury and threw a couple of passes before not returning to the game in the 2nd half, but I'd be surprised if he played this week.

blackbeard
September 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Bryant
Dayton
Bobby Mo
YSU
Sacred Heart
St Francis
Wagner

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 16th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Bryant @ Brown
I think we will see an improved Bryant team but taking Brown at home with 4 returning OL. Even though Harriott is not listed as a starter on the depth chart for Brown, they will use me in different positions from QB, RB and WR.
Brown 27 Bryant 13

Duquesne @ Dayton
Everyone was saying that this is not a good Dayton team since RMU beat them. But Dayton rebounds to beat a team from the OVC (SEMU) at home last week. Not sure if Jeske will play or not for Dayton but I see the Dukes trying to get Hines going for this game.
Dukes 24 Dayton 16

VMI @ RMU
Homecoming for RMU but don't let the 0-2 record for VMI fool you. They lost to Aire Force and to a tough DII opponent. This is one of the non-conference games that folks are expecting a win for RMU. The offense needs to get going this week and stick with an offensive line for the entire instead of playing 8-9 guys.
Walker will rebound this week and Dreher will get some room to run.
RMU 31 VMI 17

CCSU @ YSU
YSU at home will be too tough for CCSU but they will fare better than RMU last week.
YSU 34 CCSU 14

SHU @ Stony Brook
Last year Stony Brook brought their 20th ranked team into Fairfield and got smacked by SHU. This is the home opener for Stony Brook and those returning players will remember last year's outcome. This will be a tight battle but think Stony Brook pulls it out.
Stony Brook 23 SHU 21

Towson @ SFU
Towson will arrive at the old Pine Bowl wondering where the hell they are at. You going from playing @Maryland to Loretto, PA. Where are the real stands for fans? Why can I hear fans having conversations from the sideline? And before they realize the game has started, SFU will jump on Townson early much like last year. But I feel this year SFU will hold off Towson in the 2nd half.
SFU 28 Townson 24

Wagner @ Columbia
Columbia 20 Wagner 13

At least, we have fans. Quit with the slander. Our fans watch the game and the stands are all real materials. No wooden stands. And it is Towson, not Townson. That old RMU education is at work. xlolx

Original_RMC
September 17th, 2017, 08:09 PM
OMG..My bad for the little typo. I was making the point that Towson just played at Maryland then was going to SFU. Me can count to potato and me have job so me with Robert Morris education be ok. But I understand the pain. I watched the end of that game with that targeting call to give Towson the ball within FG range. Tough L for SFU.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2017, 08:11 PM
OMG..My bad for the little typo. I was making the point that Towson just played at Maryland then was going to SFU. Me can count to potato and me have job so me with Robert Morris education be ok. But I understand the pain. I watched the end of that game with that targeting call to give Towson the ball within FG range. Tough L for SFU.

Did I touch a nerve?

Original_RMC
September 20th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Did I touch a nerve?

No, did I?

LOL

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 20th, 2017, 04:46 PM
No, did I?

LOL

A Colonial hasn't touched a nerve since 1776. xlolx