PDA

View Full Version : What are the biggest games in your conference for week 3?

ASU33
September 12th, 2017, 09:17 PM
In the SWAC I would have to say the 3 biggest are:

1. Jackson State @ Grambling

2.McNeese State @ Alcorn

3.Prairie View @ Nicholls State

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Well, the MVFC doesn't start playing each other until the 23rd (ISUr vs MSU), but doesn't fully rolling until week 5.

If we're just talking games involving teams in the MVFC, gotta go with:
1. North Dakota at South Dakota - will find out a lot about how good both teams are, plus it's something of a rivalry game.
2. Illinois State at Eastern Illinois - 106th meeting of this long-played rivalry game. No matter how good or bad each team is that particular year, both teams bring their "A" games. And we'll get a much better read on Illinois State (since they've only played 1 game so far).
3. Northern Iowa at Southern Utah - UNI still something of a question mark, but you learn a lot from early season matchups with similar-level/ability teams (in this case, both are full-scholarship FCS teams from decently-ranked FCS conferences).

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Eastern Washington @ FORDHAM
New Hampshire @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Buffalo

tierre
September 12th, 2017, 10:45 PM
In the SWAC I would have to say the 3 biggest are:

1. Jackson State @ Grambling

2.McNeese State @ Alcorn

3.Prairie View @ Nicholls State

I agree with that.

Grambling vs. JSU - Don't count in the SWAC standings but will truly show where each team stand in the SWAC.
Alcorn vs. McNeese - Battle of the SWAC vs. Southland - Alcorn defense will be tested against McNeese 2 good RBs.
Prairie View vs. Nicholls - This isn't your daddy's Prairie View and this is not your daddy's Nicholls St.

Daytripper
September 13th, 2017, 05:48 AM
I agree with that.

Grambling vs. JSU - Don't count in the SWAC standings but will truly show where each team stand in the SWAC.
Alcorn vs. McNeese - Battle of the SWAC vs. Southland - Alcorn defense will be tested against McNeese 2 good RBs.
Prairie View vs. Nicholls - This isn't your daddy's Prairie View and this is not your daddy's Nicholls St.

Thank Goodness!!! This is going to be a great game.

bonarae
September 13th, 2017, 06:02 AM
For the Ivies in Week 1 2017:

Yale at Lehigh
San Diego at Princeton
Cornell at Delaware

BEAR
September 13th, 2017, 07:09 AM
SLC Week 3:

SLU at UCA- Always a tough game home or away. UCA wins and they have SHSU next. A healthy QB and the Lions can get back on track though..

UIW at SFA- Will CC get back on track? Will the birds get a win? We'll see!

DEX
September 13th, 2017, 08:38 AM
The MEAC has to start showing we can compete at the FCS level. Last season we were 0-12 against FCS competition (A&T beat Kent State) and I'm not sure any of those games were even close. With that said here are the games we either need to win or make a good showing:

Howard @ Richmond
Norfolk St @ JMU
NC A&T @ Charlotte
TN State @ FAMU
BCU @ FAU

woffordgrad94
September 13th, 2017, 01:23 PM
I don't think the SoCon HAS three significant games to be honest. My team, Wofford, isn't even playing a game. Three teams are playing an SEC or ACC team for a check. I guess the most significant game is The Citadel @ ETSU simply because it is the only conference game. But it probably won't be that close of a game...I look for The Citadel to win handily. If forced to pick two more, I'd say UT-Martin @ Chattanooga has the potential to be a good OOC tilt- and it is certainly important for the Mocs as they don't want an 0-3 start. The last pick would be WCU @ Gardner-Webb...it might tell us more about how good the Catamounts are. Then again, it might not. Because we really don't know much about GWU either. But it is an all NC, all FCS game so it has that going for it.

Catatonic
September 13th, 2017, 01:56 PM
SLC

HBU at ACU

A better than expected Houston Baptist team travels to Abilene Christian for a game that will christen ACU's new 55 million dollar stadium. The match up will mark the conference debut for new Wildcats coach Adam Dorrel, who won an incredible 90 plus percent of his games en route to three national championships at D2 Northwest Missouri State.

Following two tough road losses against FBS teams, Dorrel's Wildcats are ready to make a statement against "boys their own age." Watch for QB Dallas Sealey to stake a claim as the second best Qb in the SLC,

Catch it on ESPN 3 at 6 PM. You will be glad you did.

Other intriguing match ups include

Prairie View at Nichols and Lamar at Northwestern State. The Prairie View game is more interesting after PV's strong showing against Sam and the Lamar match up should be close. UIW at SFA may top the 100 point mark.

Winston
September 13th, 2017, 02:06 PM
For the CAA
Harvard at Rhode Island
Chuck south vs. Elon
Howard vs. Richmond

These 3 CAA teams will define themselves with these games. All 3 have shown signs of strong play this year, but all 3 have struggled.

DirtyDukes
September 13th, 2017, 02:07 PM
For the CAA
Harvard at Rhode Island
Chuck south vs. Elon
Howard vs. Richmond

These 3 CAA teams will define themselves with these games. All 3 have shown signs of strong play this year, but all 3 have struggled.

I'm pretty nervous if I'm the Spatters and Cam Newton part Two is coming into town...

GodHelpTheBears
September 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM
The implications of Murray State-Missouri State simply cannot be stated, because there are none.

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty nervous if I'm the Spatters and Cam Newton part Two is coming into town...

Richmond missed a huge opportunity here at advertising. Who would want to miss the Superman vs. Spider-man Matchup

cx500d
September 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
SLC Week 3:

SLU at UCA- Always a tough game home or away. UCA wins and they have SHSU next. A healthy QB and the Lions can get back on track though..

UIW at SFA- Will CC get back on track? Will the birds get a win? We'll see!

Seriously?
#NotAGame

fmftballmgr
September 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
The implications of Murray State-Missouri State simply cannot be stated, because there are none.

But I will be listening and pulling for my Racers to see if they can pull their head out of their underside and play like I know they can

GodHelpTheBears
September 13th, 2017, 04:46 PM
But I will be listening and pulling for my Racers to see if they can pull their head out of their underside and play like I know they can

This is why Murray State could win. You all believe your team will be alright. Over here, after last Saturday we all went "same old ****" and have written off the year. A lot of tickets were distributed for this one, but with 90 degree weather and poor play going into this one, I don't think the crowd will be large.

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Top 3 OVC:

EIU vs ISUr
UTM vs UTC
JSU vs Bye

Katfan
September 13th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Seriously?
#NotAGame
Agreed if we had a worst game of the week. This would get my vote.

Catatonic
September 13th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Seriously?
#NotAGame

On my list only because I am curious to see if SFA can finally put all that talent together or if they are pretty much done.

Winston
September 13th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Yes. Howard worries me. IMHO, Mike London is good coach, except for his end of game management. He is a very good motivator.

Go Green
September 14th, 2017, 06:12 AM
For the Ivies in Week 1 2017:

San Diego at Princeton

Why that?

bonarae
September 14th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Why that?

Hmm. I wasn't sure to think of a third game besides Yale/Lehigh and Cornell/Delaware. The others are all sure blowouts.

Go Green
September 14th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Hmm. I wasn't sure to think of a third game besides Yale/Lehigh and Cornell/Delaware. The others are all sure blowouts.

Fair enough. Some of the lines are lower than Princeton-San Diego (P -12.5), but I get where you're coming from.

Anthony215
September 14th, 2017, 08:18 AM
The MEAC has to start showing we can compete at the FCS level. Last season we were 0-12 against FCS competition (A&T beat Kent State) and I'm not sure any of those games were even close. With that said here are the games we either need to win or make a good showing:

Howard @ Richmond
Norfolk St @ JMU
NC A&T @ Charlotte
TN State @ FAMU
BCU @ FAU

I think NC A&T has a good shot at pulling out a win but the other MEAC schools will probably all lose by double digits. That JMU/NSU game will probably be over by halftime given that NSU lost in week 1 to D2 Virginia State.

BEAR
September 14th, 2017, 08:20 AM
SLC

HBU at ACU

A better than expected Houston Baptist team travels to Abilene Christian for a game that will christen ACU's new 55 million dollar stadium. The match up will mark the conference debut for new Wildcats coach Adam Dorrel, who won an incredible 90 plus percent of his games en route to three national championships at D2 Northwest Missouri State.

Following two tough road losses against FBS teams, Dorrel's Wildcats are ready to make a statement against "boys their own age." Watch for QB Dallas Sealey to stake a claim as the second best Qb in the SLC,

Catch it on ESPN 3 at 6 PM. You will be glad you did.

Other intriguing match ups include

Prairie View at Nichols and Lamar at Northwestern State. The Prairie View game is more interesting after PV's strong showing against Sam and the Lamar match up should be close. UIW at SFA may top the 100 point mark.

Better not let Hildebrand or even Fourcade read that! xlolx Second best... not yet..and not after playing HBU. The Huskies are allowing 18 ppg. But Sealey has HUGE potential this year. Heck of a recruit! xthumbsupx

BEAR
September 14th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Seriously?
#NotAGame

It was sarcasm. Hard to convey in type. xlolx Just imagine a loud announcer saying it..xnodx

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM
There are several AGS-25 games of interest identified above.
UND @ USD - Is USD a legit play-off team this year? Win at home = yes.
Howard @ Richmond Howard could be the proverbial phoenix out of ashes. Won at UNLV, 1 TD loss to a MAC team. Win vs Richmond, need to keep paying attention. Loss? not so much. Richmond too, already beat by Sammy, Colgate played them tough, a Howard loss really moves them down, kind of like Lehigh's march from likely Patriot League to not very good.
EWU @ Fordham - Two more programs that haven't looked sharp. EWU - What's your team's chances for a seed with an 0-3 start? Fordham, no "good" wins yet.
PV A&M vs Nickels - PV A&M played well vs SHSU. Nickels kept the first team of aTm on the field the whole game, even tying it up in the 4th quarter. SWAC is looking for a "good" OOC win, haven't had one yet. A PV A&M win would be. A Nickels win, set up a battle with SHSU.
UNI @ SUU Two teams that could be big factors in the Big Sky or MVFC or not. A loss by either team diminishes prospects for play-offs. A win sets each team up for a run at respective titles.

Catatonic
September 14th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Better not let Hildebrand or even Fourcade read that! xlolx Second best... not yet..and not after playing HBU. The Huskies are allowing 18 ppg. But Sealey has HUGE potential this year. Heck of a recruit! xthumbsupx
just going by the stats. Sealey was second in passing And total yards last year and is second so far this year even against the toughest SOS of Any school in the SLC, per Sagarin. Sealey gets overlooked lot because he has played for a crap team but stats speak for themselves. http://static.southland.org/custompages/stats/football/2016/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

fmftballmgr
September 14th, 2017, 09:51 AM
This is why Murray State could win. You all believe your team will be alright. Over here, after last Saturday we all went "same old ****" and have written off the year. A lot of tickets were distributed for this one, but with 90 degree weather and poor play going into this one, I don't think the crowd will be large.

With what you did the first half at Missouri was very impressive and if we don't get out to a good start we could be in for a long day. That is what happened last week, Central Arkansas had one big play in the first quarter and a turnover where they had to go 12 yards. Our offense was struggling too get going and they hit the panic button to soon and it got away from them quick. Granted UCA is a good team that is big and physical up front.

I am wanting to see how they react to being punched in the face last game

ElCid
September 14th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I don't think the SoCon HAS three significant games to be honest. My team, Wofford, isn't even playing a game. Three teams are playing an SEC or ACC team for a check. I guess the most significant game is The Citadel @ ETSU simply because it is the only conference game. But it probably won't be that close of a game...I look for The Citadel to win handily. If forced to pick two more, I'd say UT-Martin @ Chattanooga has the potential to be a good OOC tilt- and it is certainly important for the Mocs as they don't want an 0-3 start. The last pick would be WCU @ Gardner-Webb...it might tell us more about how good the Catamounts are. Then again, it might not. Because we really don't know much about GWU either. But it is an all NC, all FCS game so it has that going for it.

That about sums it up...... Things will not get interesting for a couple more weeks.

BEAR
September 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM
just going by the stats. Sealey was second in passing And total yards last year and is second so far this year even against the toughest SOS of Any school in the SLC, per Sagarin. Sealey gets overlooked lot because he has played for a crap team but stats speak for themselves. http://static.southland.org/custompages/stats/football/2016/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

Yeah last year the team's only wins were to 0-9 NWST and 3-6 UIW. He did throw some good close games to better opponents and actually ran the ball like a beast as a dual threat. If the team isn't any better than last year, how do you see him amassing his stats? Late game? Or if the team is better, will he get them early game? Also, UCA ran the ball 2 out of every 3 plays last year. ACU was about 50/50. Fans were begging for a more open passing game. Hope to see that this year. Is this coach bringing a different style of offense to the field?

Catatonic
September 14th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Yeah last year the team's only wins were to 0-9 NWST and 3-6 UIW. He did throw some good close games to better opponents and actually ran the ball like a beast as a dual threat. If the team isn't any better than last year, how do you see him amassing his stats? Late game? Or if the team is better, will he get them early game? Also, UCA ran the ball 2 out of every 3 plays last year. ACU was about 50/50. Fans were begging for a more open passing game. Hope to see that this year. Is this coach bringing a different style of offense to the field?

The biggest differences I have seen between last year and this has been pass protection, which was non existent last year, and a much improved defense.

Dorrel wants a run first balanced offense but we may not have the personnel to make that work. So far most of our yardage has come from short route passes and yards after catching the ball.

It's really hard to judge where we are since our first two opponents were FBS teams coming off bowl seasons. A lot of questions will be answered this weekend.

fmftballmgr
September 14th, 2017, 11:19 AM

With what you did at the first half of Missouri has me worried. Putting 45 on an sec is impressive. This being our first road game of this year. I want to see how they respond to being punched in the mouth by a good Central Arkansas team last week. I think I saw the line had you all favored by 3 1/2. So it could go any way

GodHelpTheBears
September 14th, 2017, 04:36 PM
With what you did at the first half of Missouri has me worried. Putting 45 on an sec is impressive. This being our first road game of this year. I want to see how they respond to being punched in the mouth by a good Central Arkansas team last week. I think I saw the line had you all favored by 3 1/2. So it could go any way

Don't put much weight into the "SEC" thing - North Dakota has a much better defense.

I don't think you all shut us out, but unless your defense is essentially uncoached like UM-C's was, you'll keep us below 40.

NorthChuckSouth
September 15th, 2017, 05:56 PM
WCU @ GWU - interested to see how Gardner Webb will fair in this one. I know WCU isn't a great team but GWU has yet to score a touchdown so we'll see how it goes.
Kennesaw @ Alabama State - Samford was a pretty good gague of KSU but this one will be interesting to watch.
CSU @ Elon - First FCS game for the Bucs.. Interesting to see how this one will go. Elon got off to a good start last week against furman but seemed to muster out at the end. We hold the ball a good bit and i think we have a better defense personel wise so i'm excited to see how this game goes

fmftballmgr
September 18th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Don't put much weight into the "SEC" thing - North Dakota has a much better defense.

I don't think you all shut us out, but unless your defense is essentially uncoached like UM-C's was, you'll keep us below 40.

congrats, you all made more plays than we did.

We had our chances but kept shooting ourselfs in the foot. We did better after the QB change of moving the ball.

on to league play now

On to leage play