PDA

View Full Version : The Poultry Bowl: Delaware Blue Hens vs. VaTech Hokies

Winston
September 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM
This has got to be the first game between 2 teams with poultry as mascots. The Delaware Blue Hens are playing the Virginia Tech Hokies (a turkey) in the Poultry Capital of the United States- Southwestern Virginia. I predict that a lot of fried chicken will be eaten at the game, with plenty of fixings. However, expect the Hokies to eat crow as the Blue Hens score slightly more than the maroon turkeys. Like an old rooster, expect Danny Rocco to strut around Lane Stadium after the game. Pass the gravy and the stuffing everyone, this will be a good one to watch. Delaware 38 VA Tech 31.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Will Sonny Perdue be the master of ceremonies?

BEAR
September 7th, 2017, 04:29 PM
So a hokie pokie isn't from Louisiana? xeyebrowx

RootinFerDukes
September 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM
That prolific offense that let one of the worst teams in fcs shut them out of the end zone for the first 42 minutes isn't beating the chokies.
You may want to stop chugging that gravy. It's starting to affect you.

UNIFanSince1983
September 7th, 2017, 04:34 PM

It is British. The Hokey Cokey for those across the pond.

Winston
September 7th, 2017, 04:36 PM
And the Dixie Chicken isn't from Newark.

BEAR
September 7th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Former Poke Center, aka FPC, will not be happy about that. xlolx

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Go with the Gobblers.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/retro-lane-stadium-andrew-webb.jpg

Winston
September 7th, 2017, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;2522215]Go with the Gobblers.

Safe bet.

DirtyDukes
September 7th, 2017, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Rocco was holding back and not opening their playbook to not give the Hokies any film... or even if they break out a gimmick offense like we did with the Pistol in 2010.

Bill
September 7th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Not unless Delaware has ever faced South Carolina in football...

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM
This has got to be the first game between 2 teams with poultry as mascots. The Delaware Blue Hens are playing the Virginia Tech Hokies (a turkey) in the Poultry Capital of the United States- Southwestern Virginia.

For the record, a Hokie is not a turkey anymore than a Hoya is not a bulldog.

"Hokie" is the college cheer of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (aka Virginia Tech) and the nickname of Hokies began to be emphasized in the 1970's when the school felt that its nickname of "Gobblers" wasn't as marketable.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi
Tech, Tech, VPI
Sola-rex, Sola-rah
Polytech Vir-gin-ia
Ray Ri VPI!

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Not unless Delaware has ever faced South Carolina in football...
I don't know about Delaware but I do know that Virginia Tech has played South Carolina 20 times in football, most recently in 1991. The Gamecocks lead the series 11-7-2. They haven't played since South Carolina joined the SEC in 1992.

cx500d
September 8th, 2017, 05:59 PM
For the record, a Hokie is not a turkey anymore than a Hoya is not a bulldog.

"Hokie" is the college cheer of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (aka Virginia Tech) and the nickname of Hokies began to be emphasized in the 1970's when the school felt that its nickname of "Gobblers" wasn't as marketable.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi
Tech, Tech, VPI
Sola-rex, Sola-rah
Polytech Vir-gin-ia
Ray Ri VPI!

I always thought a Hoya was a plant.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Hoyabella_092005.jpg/1200px-Hoyabella_092005.jpg

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I always thought a Hoya was a plant.

No, it's a pronoun.

Bill
September 8th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Pronoun trouble?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6e1hZGDaqIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1hZGDaqIw

Winston
September 8th, 2017, 10:21 PM
IMHO, the chickens make this a closer game than the turkeys expect.