View Full Version : Mercer Welcomes Hurricane Irma Evacuees to Football Game - FREE ADMISSION

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2017, 01:08 PM
All evacuees can attend Saturday’s game free of chargehttp://mercerbears.com/news/2017/9/7/mercer-welcomes-hurricane-irma-evacuees-to-football-game.aspx

MACON, Ga. – The Mercer athletics department is offering families affected by Hurricane Irma free tickets for Saturday's football game against Wofford at 4 p.m. at Five Star Stadium.

Any Hurricane Irma evacuees who have traveled to the Middle Georgia area are welcome. Parking is $10 per vehicle. For further information about Saturday's football game, visit MercerGameday.com. (https://www.mercergameday.com/)

Evacuees affected by the storm can obtain their tickets in four different ways, listed below.

Email [email protected] or call (478) 301-5217 to request/reserve tickets
http://mercerbears.com/news/2017/9/7/mercer-welcomes-hurricane-irma-evacuees-to-football-game.aspxPick up at Macon's Grand Opera House (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/My+location/The+Grand+Opera+House,+651+Mulberry+Street,+Macon, +GA+31201/data=!4m6!4m5!1m0!1m2!1m1!1s0x88f3fe64b1db7bf7:0x9 0d31b1877e6b848!3e0?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvpc_46r7PAhVBOCYKHcYQCP4Qox0IKTAA) (10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday)
Pick up voucher at the various participating hotels in Macon area (starting Friday)
Walk-up at will call ticket booth on Saturday at Five Star Stadium (proof of ID necessary)

"We want to welcome our friends from Florida, coastal Georgia and all areas affected by Hurricane Irma to Five Star Stadium on Saturday afternoon," said Director of Athletics Jim Cole (http://mercerbears.com/staff.aspx?staff=94). "Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected and we hope to provide an outlet to those who have evacuated to Middle Georgia."

The contest, which has been announced as an "Orange Out" where Bears fans are asked to wear orange, will air on ESPN3. Both Mercer and No. 10 (Coaches/STATS) Wofford are 1-0 overall.

citdog
September 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Very nice gesture by Mercer.

BEAR
September 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Way to go Mercer! xthumbsupx

citdog
September 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Will there be bowties avaliable in case the evacuees want to root for Woffy?

Smitty
September 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Would rather sit through a hurricane than go to a Mercer football game...

Edit: of course it is a nice gesture, still wouldn't go...

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Very nice gesture by Mercer.
+1...I applaud this. And since the joined the SoCon, I have found Mercer to be excellent at marketing their product.

BearDownMU
September 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Would rather sit through a hurricane than go to a Mercer football game...

Edit: of course it is a nice gesture, still wouldn't go...

This makes sense.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Also...

Mercer is putting together a Tailgate Tent for these folks as well. Coca-Cola, NuWay, and other local restaurants are providing the food and drinks.

The Parents & Families of Current/Former Players AND Former Players themselves will be the friendly and orange-wearing people serving as hosts at the Tailgate Tent, which will be on Black Field from 12-3.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Good job by Mercer.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
What a shameless attempt to prop up actual Mercer attendance. Never miss an opportunity to take advantage of a crisis.

JUUUUST kidding. Don't get your panties in a wad. Good on you guys. Hopefully folks take advantage of this gracious offer to see what will probably be a great game. But not sure how many folks would actually evac to Macon.:D

Toby
September 7th, 2017, 03:40 PM
What a shameless attempt to prop up actual Mercer attendance. Never miss an opportunity to take advantage of a crisis.

JUUUUST kidding. Don't get your panties in a wad. Good on you guys. Hopefully folks take advantage of this gracious offer to see what will probably be a great game. But not sure how many folks would actually evac to Macon.:D

I just read a report that I-16 from Savannah to Macon is already only West bound for all lanes of traffic. Macon will be packed. Also evacs going North on I-75 are converging on Macon.

Schism55
September 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Tip o' the cap Mercer. Classy move.

PAllen
September 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Excellent idea. Hopefully they get a packed house and maybe even pick up a few new fans.

walliver
September 7th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Apparently the Atlanta Braves are doing the same thing.

KPSUL
September 7th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Very considerate gesture, maybe take their minds off the hurricane for a few hours!

Smitty
September 7th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Looks like the storm is going to go down the middle of Georgia now, think anything will happen to the game?

ST_Lawson
September 7th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Looks like the storm is going to go down the middle of Georgia now, think anything will happen to the game?

The game is Saturday, right? Looks like current projections have the storm hitting south Florida on Saturday night. It is supposed to plow through the middle of Georgia, but as a Tropical Storm (rather than Hurricane) and not until Monday night. I'd imagine that the game shouldn't have an issue, but people in the area will want to "batten down the hatches" 48 hours later.

Toby
September 8th, 2017, 08:10 AM
The game is Saturday, right? Looks like current projections have the storm hitting south Florida on Saturday night. It is supposed to plow through the middle of Georgia, but as a Tropical Storm (rather than Hurricane) and not until Monday night. I'd imagine that the game shouldn't have an issue, but people in the area will want to "batten down the hatches" 48 hours later.

Saturday's current forecast for Macon is 83 high, sunny, 0% chance of rain.

ElCid
September 8th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Saturday's current forecast for Macon is 83 high, sunny, 0% chance of rain.

Should not be an issue while inland. The big problem for the teams on the coast, like The Citadel, is that even two days prior evacuations need to be occurring due to limited access roads and the greater evac percentages. Inland places, not so much. Game should be fine.