PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-7, 9-9

JALMOND
September 6th, 2017, 08:41 PM
12-2 so far after somehow thinking NAU would beat Arizona last week. This week is much harder with so many games against the Valley. Here it goes.

CP at Northern Iowa---Mustangs still trying to get on board and now they have their first trip outside of California. Change of scenery, but same result---Northern Iowa 38, CP 20.
North Dakota State at EWU---The mighty Bison are coming in to the Eagles' red turf. Still many questions for the Eagles that need to be answered---North Dakota State 35, EWU 28.
ISU at Utah State---Bengals took care of the lower division, now they head just across the border for a tougher opponent on Thursday---Utah State 41, ISU 7.
UM at Washington---Grizzlies looked a bit shaky at home last week. Their reward is facing one of the top 10 teams in FBS. Scary thought---Washington 42, UM 10.
South Dakota State at MSU---A case last week for the Bobcats was either playing against the Pac-12, or not getting any offense going. Or maybe both---South Dakota State 28, MSU 14.
Missouri State at UND---The question is can the Hawks' defense contain what looks like an explosive offense, because they should have no problems scoring---UND 35, Missouri State 31.
Western Illinois at NAU---Luckily, the Lumberjacks are not going up against a Pac-12 defense, so their offense should be able to outscore Western Illinois---NAU 42, Western Illinois 24
UNC at Florida---Bears take a big jump from the NAIA to the SEC this weekend. Very sizeable jump, and no doubt a very sizeable paycheck---Florida 51, UNC 7.
Incarnate Word at SAC---The Hornet defense did well against a strong FBS offense last week. Can they give their offense a chance in this game?---SAC 21, Incarnate Word 17.
SUU at Stephen F Austin---The Thunderbirds took a major blow to the chin last week. They return to the FCS level on the road, hoping for better results---Stephen F Austin 27, SUU 24.
San Diego at UCD---Aggies bring in the other DI football team from San Diego and it should be an improvement from last week. Hawkins' home opener---UCD 28, San Diego 21.
WSU at California---What was thought to be a great opportunity for the Wildcats may have soured a bit after Cal's win last week. Not that the Wildcats won't keep it close---California 28, WSU 24.

bonarae
September 6th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Northern Iowa
NDSU
Utah State
Washington
South Dakota State
UND
NAU
Florida
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
San Diego (UCD is regressing)
Cal

cx500d
September 6th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Utah State
Washington
South Dakota State
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Florida
SAC---
SUU
San Diego
California-

wapiti
September 7th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Thursday, Sept 7
Idaho State 9 @ 44 Utah State (FBS)

Friday, Sept 8
Western Illinois 21 @ 24 NAU

Saturday, Sept. 9
NDSU 32 @ 24 EWU
WSU 17 @ 52 Cal (FBS)
Missouri State 17 @ 22 UND
Cal Poly 19 @ 35 UNI
Southern Utah 15 @ 23 SF Austin
N Colorado 6 @ 58 Florida (FBS)
Montana 12 @ 55 Washington (FBS)
SDSU 29 @ 23 MSU
San Diego 23 @ 32 UC Davis
Incarnate Word 14 @ 17 Sac State

Bye 0 @ 0 PSU Ends in a tie.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I'll be interested to see how the WIU/NAU game is picked in this thread. On the MVFC week 2 predictions thread 39 of 46 pickers by my count picked WIU but I don't think most on there understand how tough it is to win at NAU.

bobcathpdevil56
September 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Huge test for the Bobcats. If they can keep with SDSU that will be a great step forward. But, need to find some offense. O-line needs to step up a few levels

Nodak78
September 7th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Northern Iowa
NDSU
Utah State
Washington
South Dakota State
UND
NAU
Florida
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
UCD
Cal

Redbird 4th & short
September 7th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I'll be interested to see how the WIU/NAU game is picked in this thread. On the MVFC week 2 predictions thread 39 of 46 pickers by my count picked WIU but I don't think most on there understand how tough it is to win at NAU.

I've gor WIU winning a high scoring game by 3. But that is obviosuly discounting the margin I would have picked if WIU was at home. I think the thin air is the main factor hurting WIU. but because WIU has a strong run game, ver solid QB, and a lot of returning starters. Guessing they will grind it out, chew up as much clock on offense to limit their QBs time on field. But I can see game getting away from WIU if they don't move chains and chew up clock.

Reminder, WIU handled them pretty easily last yeat in Macomb when Cookus was still healthy.

- score was 34-20
- 1st downs were 28-18
- total yards were 539 to 425
- total plays were 74 to 64
- time of possession was 36:44 to 23:16

Assume WIU will make concerted effort to control the clock again. Their offense won't be as potent passing with loss of stud Lenoir, but their run game will be just as strong and their defense should be even stonger. Assuming turnovers or special teams plays are non-factor/offsetting, watch the first downs and time of possession .. that will decide this game .. the closer time of possesions moves from 36/24 to 30/30, the more likely NAU pulls this one out. Thin air is harder for defenses than offenses.

Schism55
September 7th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I know Cookus and Butler are fantastic, but I like Western in this game.
I watched a good chunk of the NAU v Arizona game last week and something seems off with this NAU team. Weight of expectations maybe? Of course could just be week 1 rust shedding.

mvemjsunpx
September 7th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Friday, Sept 8
Western Illinois 21 @ 24 NAU

This game isn't on Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

Thursday

Idaho St. 10-45 Utah St. — A bad Big Sky team versus a bad Mountain West team. Who wouldn't watch this?

Saturday

NoDak St. 38-24 EWU — The rest of the Eags aren't good enough to compensate if the passing game falters

Cal Poly 14-27 Yunie — If there's one thing you can count on the Panthers to do, it's stop the run

San Diego 28-24 Davis — This one looks a little more interesting than it did a week ago

UIW 21-38 Sac State — The Hornets aren't very good, but they aren't bottom-of-the-Southland bad

Suutah 34-31 SFA — The T-Birds should be the better team, but you never know what the Texas humidity will do

Weber 28-52 Cal — Weber dodged Beau Baldwin in 2016; they don't get that luxury this year

Willynois 42-45 NAU — The real Big Sky game of the week

Montana 17-52 UDub — We still don't know how good the Griz are, but that doesn't really matter here

SoDak St. 37-24 Montana St. — The Jackrabbits are a complete team; the Bobcats aren't

NoCo - Florida — Cancelled due to Hurricane Irma

Misery St. 20-37 NoDak — The F-Hawks finally get to avenge 2014's 38-0 drubbing

mvemjsunpx
September 7th, 2017, 05:06 PM
I watched a good chunk of the NAU v Arizona game last week and something seems off with this NAU team. Weight of expectations maybe? Of course could just be week 1 rust shedding.

They had a bazillion chances early, blew them all, and then collapsed in the second half.

Still, Western's pass defense is weak & the game's at 7000 feet.

Schism55
September 7th, 2017, 05:16 PM
They had a bazillion chances early, blew them all, and then collapsed in the second half.

Still, Western's pass defense is weak & the game's at 7000 feet.
Both very salient points.
Here's hoping for a well played, tight game.

JALMOND
September 7th, 2017, 08:36 PM
NoCo - Florida — Cancelled due to Hurricane Irma

Mother Nature shows more common sense than whoever agreed to this game.

mvemjsunpx
September 7th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Mother Nature shows more common sense than whoever agreed to this game.

Florida was willing to pay $625,000 for it, so it obviously made sense for UNC.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM
It wont surprise me in the least if EVERY team in the Big Sky loses this weekend.

bonarae
September 8th, 2017, 03:20 AM
It wont surprise me in the least if EVERY team in the Big Sky loses this weekend.

But I'm expecting at least one and at most three wins from the Big Sky teams on Saturday... but if more than that, the Sky may be lucky... xcoffeex

wapiti
September 8th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Idaho State was crushed 51 - 13 by Utah State

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Both very salient points.
Here's hoping for a well played, tight game.

NDSU wins this game in a route..........52 to 10

ST_Lawson
September 8th, 2017, 09:27 AM
But I'm expecting at least one and at most three wins from the Big Sky teams on Saturday... but if more than that, the Sky may be lucky... xcoffeex

That sounds about right. I think there's a decent chance that UND, SUU, and Sac State win their games.
And an outside chance of NAU and UC Davis winning as well.

Should come out of that with probably 3 wins, maybe 4. I'd be really surprised if they didn't win at least one of them, though.

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 09:38 AM

and you punks say the Southland Conference is soft. LMAO!!! :D

F'N Hawks
September 8th, 2017, 10:57 AM
NDSU wins this game in a route..........52 to 10

66?

Not to confident in EWU after that showing last weekend. Losing Baldwin, Taylor, Kupp, and Bourne will probably leave a mark.

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 10:58 AM
66?

Not to confident in EWU after that showing last weekend. Losing Baldwin, Taylor, Kupp, and Bourne will probably leave a mark.

When Sammy played Texas Tech they almost beat them with a crappy defense Sammy has. EWU looks terrible this season. If EWU is still in the top 10 after this weekend then all polls are just a joke!

Silenoz
September 8th, 2017, 11:59 AM

I'd be down for that

nevadagriz
September 8th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I hope Nau and Poly can atleast win their games. Hell alot of BSC fans picked those two teams to be near the top of the conference. Meanwhile alot of folks talking about UNI being down this year. Could be ugly for the Big Sky if all teams lose this weekend.

Original_Siouxperfan
September 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Given that the projected percentage of this happening is less than 0.3%, I'd be extremely surprised.

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Given that the projected percentage of this happening is less than 0.3%, I'd be extremely surprised.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/840/283/350.png

F'N Hawks
September 8th, 2017, 12:41 PM
If Sack loses to Word, we are in big trouble. If UND loses to Mizz State, we are in even bigger trouble.

bobcathpdevil56
September 8th, 2017, 01:53 PM

You may be right on this Alpha, but I don't think that would be an indicator that the conference is bad. I think it means we are scheduling much better OOC games then before. Not as many DIIs and definitely better FCS opponents. SDSU, NDSU and Washington would probably beat any team in the Big Sky, but if you shuffled around the schedule (who is playing who), there could be quite a few wins for the Big Sky this week

Schism55
September 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM
You may be right on this Alpha, but I don't think that would be an indicator that the conference is bad. I think it means we are scheduling much better OOC games then before. Not as many DIIs and definitely better FCS opponents. SDSU, NDSU and Washington would probably beat any team in the Big Sky, but if you shuffled around the schedule (who is playing who), there could be quite a few wins for the Big Sky this week
This seems pretty spot on to this guy.

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 03:13 PM
and you punks say the Southland Conference is soft. LMAO!!! :D

^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2017, 03:22 PM
^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Funny, I seem to remember the best teams in the respective conferences having distinctly different ends to the season last year. xrolleyesx

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Funny, I seem to remember the best teams in the respective conferences having distinctly different ends to the season last year. xrolleyesx

Not exactly ma'am..............seems EWU lost to un-seeded team, while Sammy lost to a higher seeded team. Big difference there ma'am.

bobcathpdevil56
September 8th, 2017, 03:27 PM

No kidding. This thread is about the Big Sky conference and predicting scores for this week. He has taken it and turned it into another gripe session about the perceived weakness of his team's conference. Must have some sort of complex (or just a tool from Texas)

BisonTru
September 8th, 2017, 03:28 PM
^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you just quote your own troll?

Were you not hugged enough as a kid?

xeyebrowx:D

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 03:32 PM

Yes, darn sho did beyotch! xdrunkyx

BisonTru
September 8th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Sammy fans make every thread about Sammy.
Hawkey fans don't like you talking about UND in a UND thread.

If there was a way those two fanbases could breed. Although I don't know which one would be the man. :D

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM

If there was a way those two fanbases could breed. Although I don't know which one would be the man. :D

Hahahaha, that is funny!

F'N Hawks
September 8th, 2017, 05:08 PM

Exactly, we don't like you talking about UND so much. It's unhealthy.

cx500d
September 8th, 2017, 05:22 PM

The kids would be twice as stupid and sterile, kinda like Mules, thank god.

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM

That is hilarious!

cx500d
September 8th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Don't be getting ideas that this sets precedence so that you can quote your own trolls on Poli board.

geaux_sioux
September 8th, 2017, 06:00 PM

Our big dicks and their small balls. Perfect.

JALMOND
September 8th, 2017, 08:25 PM
If UND loses to Mizz State, we are in even bigger trouble.

If that were to happen, and NAU loses at home to W Illinois, I'd have to say I really like Portland State's chances.

GodHelpTheBears
September 9th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I think many Valley fans are treating UND as if they...shot an inside straight last year, you know what I mean? That nothing they accomplished had merit.

I don't buy that, personally. Going undefeated in the Big Sky is no joke. UND's defense is far better than UM-C's - UM-C lacked fundamentals, including placement, their scheme was convoluted and their secondary was complete garbage.

I don't think we put 43 on UND, but I can believe UND putting 43 on us. I think the Horks from Grand Forks win this one by two scores.

Schism55
September 9th, 2017, 09:24 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26034&stc=1

JALMOND
September 10th, 2017, 02:46 AM
12-2 so far after somehow thinking NAU would beat Arizona last week. This week is much harder with so many games against the Valley. Here it goes.

CP at Northern Iowa---Mustangs still trying to get on board and now they have their first trip outside of California. Change of scenery, but same result---Northern Iowa 38, CP 20.
North Dakota State at EWU---The mighty Bison are coming in to the Eagles' red turf. Still many questions for the Eagles that need to be answered---North Dakota State 35, EWU 28.
ISU at Utah State---Bengals took care of the lower division, now they head just across the border for a tougher opponent on Thursday---Utah State 41, ISU 7.
UM at Washington---Grizzlies looked a bit shaky at home last week. Their reward is facing one of the top 10 teams in FBS. Scary thought---Washington 42, UM 10.
South Dakota State at MSU---A case last week for the Bobcats was either playing against the Pac-12, or not getting any offense going. Or maybe both---South Dakota State 28, MSU 14.
Missouri State at UND---The question is can the Hawks' defense contain what looks like an explosive offense, because they should have no problems scoring---UND 35, Missouri State 31.
Western Illinois at NAU---Luckily, the Lumberjacks are not going up against a Pac-12 defense, so their offense should be able to outscore Western Illinois---NAU 42, Western Illinois 24
UNC at Florida---Bears take a big jump from the NAIA to the SEC this weekend. Very sizeable jump, and no doubt a very sizeable paycheck---Florida 51, UNC 7.
Incarnate Word at SAC---The Hornet defense did well against a strong FBS offense last week. Can they give their offense a chance in this game?---SAC 21, Incarnate Word 17.
SUU at Stephen F Austin---The Thunderbirds took a major blow to the chin last week. They return to the FCS level on the road, hoping for better results---Stephen F Austin 27, SUU 24.
San Diego at UCD---Aggies bring in the other DI football team from San Diego and it should be an improvement from last week. Hawkins' home opener---UCD 28, San Diego 21.
WSU at California---What was thought to be a great opportunity for the Wildcats may have soured a bit after Cal's win last week. Not that the Wildcats won't keep it close---California 28, WSU 24.

9-2 this week, 22-4 overall. Missed the NAU game and the SUU game.

slostang
September 10th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Cal Poly is sitting at 0-3, but I honestly think they can win any game left on their schedule. Conversely there is probably not a game we could not lose if we continue making the fatal mistakes we made in our first three games. Colgate showed they are better than people gave them credit for narrowly losing to #9 Richmond and Cal Poly took a good UNI team to OT on the road.

Three toughest games looked to be NAU, PSU and Weber State and they are all home games. We also have two byes (one this week) to work on things and get players healthy. Cal Poly put up 543 yards and 35 points up against UNI on the road so it looks like the offense is starting to find their form. Still need to clean some things up, but at least we are headed in the right direction. We started the year with our 3rd OC in 3 years (One left for New Mexico and one went to Georgia Southern) and a new QB. Both had shaking starts, but looked better yesterday. Jenkins threw for 238 yards and 4 TDs and rushed for 112 yards and a TD. I think both will continue to get better as the season goes on.

Cal Poly may not win the Big Sky, but anyone thinking they are an easy out because of their 0-3 start will be in for a much tougher game than they expect.