PDA

View Full Version : Richmond @ Colgate 9/9

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Thought i'd start this one since it's time for the UR v SHSU thread to die. Big test for both teams here. Spiders better show some urgency to avoid an 0-2 start.

cx500d
September 4th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Colgate didn't look good against the pass, and Cal Poly didn't have a good passing game, so I think Colgate may be in for a long night.

CFBfan
September 4th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Colgate didn't look good against the pass, and Cal Poly didn't have a good passing game, so I think Colgate may be in for a long night.

agreed, gates corners are bad!

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Interested to see how this one comes out. Furman heading to Hamilton in two weeks armed with a QB that can toss it around.

Dane96
September 4th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Colgate's win maybe impressive on paper and because of the name "Cal Poly" however, I was not impressed with either team. Cal Poly is in for a long season and the Big Sky isn't looking particularly strong. Granted, it's been only one game for the majority of the league but this seems to be a down year. 'Gate will be in the game as they are always well coached but I think Richmond rolls.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Does Colgate have any chance of being in this football game? Richmond's D left much to be desired, but I don't think Colgate is SHSU and they don't have a Briscoe and their receivers.

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I suspect Colgate's pass D struggled particularly because they were keyed on stopping the run (which makes sense against someone like Cal Poly). That being said, I think Richmond is a much better offense than Cal Poly, and will be be able to put up points.

Colgate's best chance, I think, is to control the clock and shorten the game. It was a one-score game in Virginia last year, so I feel like we can stay in this one.

I do want to see how much improvement the offense has made from game 1. A little more diversity would go a long way.

cx500d
September 4th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Does Colgate have any chance of being in this football game? Richmond's D left much to be desired, but I don't think Colgate is SHSU and they don't have a Briscoe and their receivers.

I don't think so. Colgate did nothing offensively the 2nd half of the game. The defense did well against the run, but it wasn't hard to figure out what Poly was going to do when all they did was hand off to the FB up the middle; I saw very little of the so called triple option where they went to the third option. They did contain well the few times when Poly tried going outside. Pass defense was bad though.

Gate83
September 4th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I don't think so. Colgate did nothing offensively the 2nd half of the game. The defense did well against the run, but it wasn't hard to figure out what Poly was going to do when all they did was hand off to the FB up the middle; I saw very little of the so called triple option where they went to the third option. They did contain well the few times when Poly tried going outside. Pass defense was bad though.

To be fair, I think we went very conservative on O in the 2nd half vs. Poly with a 20 point lead & no pressure from them until mid-4Q. I think we'll learn a lot about our qb & O this week as they'll have to step up if we want this to be close. I'll be there w/ a couple of my Spider pals so naturally would like to give them a scare!

spdram
September 4th, 2017, 07:49 PM
For those trashing Colgate, they have some talented players and are very well coached -- AGS they have a chance to beat just about any FCS team.

cx500d
September 4th, 2017, 07:59 PM
To be fair, I think we went very conservative on O in the 2nd half vs. Poly with a 20 point lead & no pressure from them until mid-4Q.

It's a doomed strategy... ask Texas A&M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Sumlin couldn't strategize a game of hop-scotch....

cx500d
September 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Sumlin couldn't strategize a game of hop-scotch....

Apparently not. At least he didn't prolong the agony and take his last two timeouts.

Gate83
September 5th, 2017, 06:11 AM

Almost doomed us as well. Almost...

Dane96
September 5th, 2017, 07:48 AM
For those trashing Colgate, they have some talented players and are very well coached -- AGS they have a chance to beat just about any FCS team.

Nobody is trashing them.

PAllen
September 5th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Colgate's win maybe impressive on paper and because of the name "Cal Poly" however, I was not impressed with either team. Cal Poly is in for a long season and the Big Sky isn't looking particularly strong. Granted, it's been only one game for the majority of the league but this seems to be a down year. 'Gate will be in the game as they are always well coached but I think Richmond rolls.

Just curious as to how much of this attitude toward the Big Sky/Cal Poly is because they lost to Colgate. Lehigh had a similar problem when scheduling Liberty when they were a top 25 team. If Lehigh won, then the story was that Liberty must not be that good. If Lehigh lost, well, Liberty only beat a PL team so nothing to see here. Richmond/Colgate will definitely tell us more, and I agree, Colgate's secondary looked ripe for the picking.

Lehigh'98
September 5th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Just curious as to how much of this attitude toward the Big Sky/Cal Poly is because they lost to Colgate. Lehigh had a similar problem when scheduling Liberty when they were a top 25 team. If Lehigh won, then the story was that Liberty must not be that good. If Lehigh lost, well, Liberty only beat a PL team so nothing to see here. Richmond/Colgate will definitely tell us more, and I agree, Colgate's secondary looked ripe for the picking.

CP's loss to the Torrero's last year didn't help matters.

milleniumkat
September 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Go Spidahs!!! (Sung to the tune of a Tony Soprano accent)

CFBfan
September 5th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Nope BUT the spiders will win big in Hamilton this weekend

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM
If I have off Saturday I might drove up to this one. I already have 2 trips planned to Colgate in the next month. Might as well go for the trifecta if I can...

Hamilton>>>West Long Branch, NJ

The Pud
September 5th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Nope BUT the spiders will win big in Hamilton this weekend

and that is exactly what you said last weekend! :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Can a 'gate fan tell us what to expect from their QB? Can he pass the ball enough to create some balance for your O?

CFBfan
September 5th, 2017, 06:11 PM
and that is exactly what you said last weekend! :D

i never said that last week pod...1 too many hits to the head?

The Pud
September 5th, 2017, 06:15 PM
i never said that last week pod...1 too many hits to the head?

I think one too many glasses of Malbec

Gate83
September 5th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Can a 'gate fan tell us what to expect from their QB? Can he pass the ball enough to create some balance for your O?

Scarfone is a sophomore who didn't see the field last year, so all we've seen of him is high school highlights and the Cal Poly game. So, no... we've really got no idea what to expect. He won a 3-way competition for the job in camp & the quotes I've read from Coach Hunt & his teammates make me think he'll be another of our good runners/fair passers. I liked his first drive vs. Poly, after that didn't show much & didn't keep the ball on the read option at all... he'll have to start doing that to keep defenses honest.

Also of note, the two deep is up and our All American DE Afriyie isn't listed. He limped off late against Poly, big blow if he's out for any extended period.

cx500d
September 5th, 2017, 07:20 PM

You strike me as more a Franzia drinker...

CFBfan
September 6th, 2017, 12:01 PM

if you told me bourbon or scotch i'd be ok, malbec....not so much

Gater
September 6th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Colgate's corners were both either first or second team preseason All Patriot League. They are both good players. Colgate got beat deep four or five times against Cal Poly. Once where a safety in single coverage got beat deep and one for a TD where a linebacker bit on a pitch instead of taking the RB on the wheel route (at least that's how it looked to me). Cal Poly ran the ball 62 times. Their longest run was 11 yards. That means you had single coverage everywhere and everyone else looking to stop the run. This isn't to say that Colgate's corners won't get beat against Richmond--hard to imagine Richmond's pitchers and catchers not picking up big yards on most everybody this year--but the style of defense Colgate plays (which allowed them to be the #1 FCS team against the rush last year) asks a lot of the corners.

Colgate lost by seven last year against Richmond and was 5-22 passing for 57 yards and three picks. Obviously, this is the place for improvement. Colgate also got a ton out of special teams last year--a KO return to the 1ish and a punt block for a TD. Hard to count on that big of a swing to happen again. Afriyie being out for Colgate is huge. He's a pre-season All-American and a real difference-maker. The play where he got taken out was called a clip. Announcer thought it was clean but it was one of those plays you see and you can't help but think the guy could be out of the season--I have no idea how he is doing, but it just looked bad. Would be a real shame. Seems to be a great kid and one of the better players Colgate has had in a while.

agreed, gates corners are bad!

The Pud
September 6th, 2017, 03:28 PM
You strike me as more a Franzia drinker...

Not wtf Franzia is. I also enjoy a good Brunello di Montalcino (Italian red wine for those of you who do not know what this is)

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 6th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Colgate's corners were both either first or second team preseason All Patriot League. They are both good players. Colgate got beat deep four or five times against Cal Poly. Once where a safety in single coverage got beat deep and one for a TD where a linebacker bit on a pitch instead of taking the RB on the wheel route (at least that's how it looked to me). Cal Poly ran the ball 62 times. Their longest run was 11 yards. That means you had single coverage everywhere and everyone else looking to stop the run. This isn't to say that Colgate's corners won't get beat against Richmond--hard to imagine Richmond's pitchers and catchers not picking up big yards on most everybody this year--but the style of defense Colgate plays (which allowed them to be the #1 FCS team against the rush last year) asks a lot of the corners.

Colgate lost by seven last year against Richmond and was 5-22 passing for 57 yards and three picks. Obviously, this is the place for improvement. Colgate also got a ton out of special teams last year--a KO return to the 1ish and a punt block for a TD. Hard to count on that big of a swing to happen again. Afriyie being out for Colgate is huge. He's a pre-season All-American and a real difference-maker. The play where he got taken out was called a clip. Announcer thought it was clean but it was one of those plays you see and you can't help but think the guy could be out of the season--I have no idea how he is doing, but it just looked bad. Would be a real shame. Seems to be a great kid and one of the better players Colgate has had in a while.

Richmond absolutely had it's hands full of Colgate last year and i don't think anyone here has forgotten about that. I expect that Richmond will be able to get some good chunks in the passing game and put up points. Our defense is a huge question mark. They were exposed by Sam Houston. I am hopeful that the different style of Colgate's play will be a better matchup for our defense. We also had some special teams nightmares against Sammy. Those need to be cleaned up or we will be 0-2 on Saturday night.

I was surprised to see us as a 8 point favorite in this game. Was expecting much closer to a pick 'em.

CFBfan
September 6th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Not wtf Franzia is. I also enjoy a good Brunello di Montalcino (Italian red wine for those of you who do not know what this is)

a nice 2010....

CFBfan
September 6th, 2017, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gater;2521540]Colgate's corners were both either first or second team preseason All Patriot League. They are both good players. Colgate got beat deep four or five times against Cal Poly.

they play soft and get beat a lot... a lot #10 is way over rated last year his nick name should've been toast

crusader11
September 6th, 2017, 05:27 PM
If I have off Saturday I might drove up to this one. I already have 2 trips planned to Colgate in the next month. Might as well go for the trifecta if I can...

Driving all the way up to Hamilton to see a non-Lehigh game...wow, you really are an ardent FCS fan!

Go...gate
September 6th, 2017, 06:49 PM

We have our differences sometimes, but my hat off to you for this. Wish I could be there myself - I'd buy you an adult beverage at the Colgate Inn - but it will be a working weekend.

Go Red Raiders!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Driving all the way up to Hamilton to see a non-Lehigh game...wow, you really are an ardent FCS fan!

I had a non-resident golf membership at Seven Oaks last year. I'm playing there in 2 weeks. Hamilton is about 112 miles from my door step. I love the ride up. I spend a decent amount of time in Syracuse too.

cx500d
September 6th, 2017, 09:21 PM

I'd like to give you a private tasting from my cask of Amontillado...

Gate83
September 7th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Afriyie being out for Colgate is huge. He's a pre-season All-American and a real difference-maker. The play where he got taken out was called a clip. Announcer thought it was clean but it was one of those plays you see and you can't help but think the guy could be out of the season--I have no idea how he is doing, but it just looked bad. Would be a real shame. Seems to be a great kid and one of the better players Colgate has had in a while.

Heard yesterday it's a high ankle sprain & he's a couple of weeks away. Original worry was a tear that would have been season ending, so in that context good news that he should at least be back for the league season.

The Pud
September 7th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Not sure if this has been asked or info provide, but The Pod would like to know if this game will be on tv? ESPNU? ESPN3?

van
September 7th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Not sure if this has been asked or info provide, but The Pod would like to know if this game will be on tv? ESPNU? ESPN3?

patriot league network

watchstadium.com

Gater
September 7th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Here's a local story about Colgate and the game:
http://www.cnyhomepage.com/sports/colgate-sets-sights-on-no-9-richmond/805808396

Here's a video link for the game:
https://watchstadium.com/live/richmond-at-colgate/

Winston
September 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Richmond better come with its A game. They melted down at the end of the 1st half and it cost them the SHSU game. Special Teams play killed the Spiders.

Winston
September 7th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Although the Richmond QB did pass for 510 yards against Sam Houston, he was playing from behind the entire game. The offense looked like it was out of sorts for the 1st half. The Richmond punter with a rugby style punt kicked the ball right into a defender. TD Sam Houston. Last year he was pretty good. There was a 3 and out on 3 pass plays, with 3 1/2 minutes left in the first half. SHSU scored right after that. Richmond will have to play better or they will start 0-2.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2017, 09:29 AM
The Wedge's GOTW Preview. Colgate fans aren't going to like this...

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-game-of-the-week-10-richmond-at-21-colgate/

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM
The Wedge's GOTW Preview. Colgate fans aren't going to like this...

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-game-of-the-week-10-richmond-at-21-colgate/

Not unreasonable. Definitely the nightmare scenario, especially with Afriyie out. I think we can keep it a bit closer, but Richmond is probably the best team we'll see in the regular season (including Buffalo)

Go...gate
September 8th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Not a surprising prediction.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Richmond's offense is really good. Lauletta has talented guys all over the field. Scarfone has to make some big throws. Colgate won't beat Richmond by trying to win the TOP and running the ball. Richmond is much better than Cal Poly. How the Mustangs handle UNI tomorrow will be telling too imo.

The CAA imo is
JMU
Richmond
UNH
'Nova

UNH has a favorable schedule though....

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Richmond's offense is really good. Lauletta has talented guys all over the field. Scarfone has to make some big throws. Colgate won't beat Richmond by trying to win the TOP and running the ball.

Unless Scarfone is substantially better passing tomorrow, or the offense hid some bigger pass plays in Cali, I don't see how we can go punch-for-punch with the Spiders' offense. Broadly speaking we'll want to shorten the game, but that strategy was always going to include breaking a couple of big plays for some points.

ColgateTD
September 9th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Not surprising...but then Colgate has made a name for itself as the David in "David vs. Goliath"

kdinva
September 9th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Colgate will be mentally ready......hosting a program of UR's "reputation"......

cx500d
September 9th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Not surprising...but then Colgate has made a name for itself as the David in "David vs. Goliath"

Personally I'd like to see Colgate take down Richmond, but seeing how Colgate did offensively the 2nd half against Poly, how the defense was against Poly's anemic passing attack, I hold little hope. The little hop is that seeing how Sam Houston played against PVAM, there is a possibility Sam Houston is really bad, which made Richmond's gaudy offensive numbers look better than they are.

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Richmond 0
Colgate 0
End 1st

Defense playing well, a little bend-don't-break so far. Got a 4th down stop in the red zone and a missed FG to keep the Spiders off the board. Offense has struggled so far, lots of pressure. Scarfone has been replaced by the freshman Breneman. Has one nice throw so far, we'll see if he can generate more movement.

Field was flipped late in the quarter, and the Raiders have the ball in Richmond territory to start the 2nd.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:48 PM
TD 'Gate! That was a nice an impressive drive!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Spiders respond

7-7

DTSpider
September 9th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Listening on the radio - sounds like an ugly game. Russ is a nice guy but going to have to get some production from this offense.

Matt
September 9th, 2017, 01:24 PM
We look awful. Redzone offense is a nightmare

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Richmond 7
Colgate 7
Halftime

Same story in the 2nd quarter, defense playing well. Spiders had a good response to get the TD right after we did, but otherwise we're holding them back. Offensively, though, is still pretty rough. I think we need to do more with the run game, take a little pressure off the QB. Hunt says it was always the plan to get the freshman in for the 3rd series, and they stuck with him as he's played well enough.

Richmond gets the ball to start the 2nd half. All up for grabs still.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Impressive first half by Colgate but can the hold on? Richmond has definitely controlled the game despite the tie score...

tomq04
September 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I watched the 2nd quarter and was not impressed with either team, interested to see how the game shakes out and more importantly the standings when all is said and done. Richmond too high?

Matt
September 9th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I watched the 2nd quarter and was not impressed with either team, interested to see how the game shakes out and more importantly the standings when all is said and done. Richmond too high?

We are too high. We'll drop even if we end up winning.

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Gate up 14-7.

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Richmond 7
Colgate 14
End 3rd

Good quarter for the Raiders. Limiting chances, forcing UR to take its time going down the field. When they aren't getting big hits in the backfield, that is. Gotta finish off some of these 3rd downs, but really, the offense needs just a little more. 2 drives, a TD and a 3-and-out, in that quarter.

1st and Goal on the 1 for the Spiders to start the 4th.

DTSpider
September 9th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Blocked FG still good? Wow.

DTSpider
September 9th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Richmond limps ahead by 3 with a minute & half left

Matt
September 9th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Game over. That was ugly

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Tough performance by Colgate but the CAA comes out ahead again. Colgate's defense is definitely legit....

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Richmond 20
Colgate 17
Final

Spiders made the plays they needed to at the end. Good defense from Richmond in the 2nd half. Asking the freshman to lead a game-winning drive like that is a tall order, but tossing another pick (effectively ending the game like last year's) hurt.

Defense played a big game, even holding the Spiders to a FG at the end. This is a capable team, just a little more from the offense and we could be dangerous.

Good luck to the Spiders. Wouldn't mind renewing this series at a later date

spdram
September 9th, 2017, 03:24 PM
good game Gate, you guys have a good team, best of luck going forward. We still need to get team and staff on same page definitely a work in progress

DTSpider
September 9th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Colgate has a strong team. They'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 9th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Hard fought game but not an overly satisfying win for the Spiders. They have a long way to go to get where they need to be.

It will definitely feel good to get some home games now. Has anyone travelled more miles than the Spiders at this point? Two T25 games on the road, no less.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck to the Spiders. Wouldn't mind renewing this series at a later date

Same to you and agreed.

ColgateTD
September 9th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Colgate has a strong team. They'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

Spiders are a good team, despite not having their best day. Your QB has a gun for an arm. Should light up many future opponents. Yes, I'd like to see this series continue in the future. Best of luck going forward to UR.

Once again the Raiders didn't have quite enough O to put us over the top. Several receivers overthrown, but with an inexperienced QB this is gonna happen. D played a great game and kept Richmond bottled up most of the time. Tied going into the 4th quarter is not too bad for 'Gate given the pre-game predictions. We had a good drive going with the running game - I think in the 3rd or 4th quarter - but then switched to the passing game, which was not good IMHO. A TD there might have been the difference. What was our 3rd down conversion %? It seemed to me we just could not pick up enough yardage on 1st and 2nd down, then had to pass, and that did us in. Did we convert more than a couple 3rd downs?

Looking forward to the Buffalo game. Maybe another week of practice and looking at film will clean up some of our problem areas. Really miss Pat on defense, but better he get well before league games begin. Not sure Breneman made much of a difference at QB :(

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Did we convert more than a couple 3rd downs?

6 for 15, not good. But better than UR, who went 4 for 15 (and 0 for 2 on 4th down)

Not sure Breneman made much of a difference at QB :(

Breneman definitely had a stronger, more accurate arm, and was more willing to keep the option himself (though Scarfone did have a nice run or two in his drives). Still needs to work on that decision-making when it comes to handing-off/keeping the ball, but he's young.

I wonder if Breneman is the guy they really wanted at QB, so now that he's in, he'll be the guy.

Southsider
September 9th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Go gate! At least somebody in the PL cares about D!

Go...gate
September 9th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Tough loss but some encouraging signs.

cx500d
September 9th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Tough loss but some encouraging signs.
Like easier games ahead?

Go...gate
September 9th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Like easier games ahead?

We have FBS Buffalo (away) and Furman (home) coming up.

I believe the tough OOC slate will benefit Colgate down the line.

Matt
September 9th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Carmine Scarfone is such a great, mafia-esque name.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Carmine Scarfone is such a great, mafia-esque name.

LOL!

Schism55
September 9th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Carmine Scarfone is such a great mafia name.
FIFY xdrunkyx

ColgateTD
September 10th, 2017, 12:12 PM
We have FBS Buffalo (away) and Furman (home) coming up.

I believe the tough OOC slate will benefit Colgate down the line.

Seemed like a lot of injuries yesterday. Hope there were not a lot of serious ones. The downside of playing teams like UR, Buffalo and Furman is that more injuries will not help us be competitive in PL games :(

cx500d
September 10th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Seemed like a lot of injuries yesterday. Hope there were not a lot of serious ones. The downside of playing teams like UR, Buffalo and Furman is that more injuries will not help us be competitive in PL games :(

I think you can take Buffalo if your offense shows up.

32counter
September 10th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Raiders should take Furman.Paladins lost to Elon yesterday at home.The outcome of the Buffalo game wont matter as much as playing as many players as possible in that game in order to build depth.