PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 2

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2017, 11:08 PM
All seven teams in action this week.

Holy Cross (0-1) at Bucknell (1-0)
Fordham (0-1) at Central Connecticut (0-1)
Richmond (0-1) at Colgate (1-0)
Lehigh (0-1) at Monmouth (1-0)
Sacred Heart (1-0) at Lafayette (0-1)
Georgetown (0-0) at Campbell (1-0)

bonarae
September 2nd, 2017, 11:10 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Richmond
Lehigh
Sacred Heart
Georgetown

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2017, 11:45 PM
Richmond is going to be one angry and hungry team. A very tough matchup for Colgate.

Sader87
September 3rd, 2017, 12:01 AM
This is a huge game for HC (and by extension Tom Gilmore)....lose at Bucknell and HC could be staring down a 0-4 start with games against UNH and at Dartmouth to follow.

cx500d
September 3rd, 2017, 12:03 AM
Holy Cross
Central Connecticut
Richmond
Lehigh
Sacred Heart
Campbell

carney2
September 3rd, 2017, 09:26 AM
Holy Cross (0-1) at Bucknell (1-0) – As Sader87 pointed out, this is an important game for the Crossers, but not just because they could begin the season 0-4, but more importantly because they have some title aspirations. Lose here, and it’ a huge hole to climb out of. As for the Buffaloes, … well, it isn’t basketball, so how much can it matter, really?

Fordham (0-1) at Central Connecticut (0-1) – Bouncing back from an embarrassment is never easy, but the Rams should be able to handle this with ease.

Richmond (0-1) at Colgate (1-0) – Two questions: How good is Richmond? How good is Colgate? Not sure we’ll get answers to either, but a CAA power should be able to handle a Patriot League pretender. Not expecting this to be competitive at the end.

Lehigh (0-1) at Monmouth (1-0) – Apparently the only question to ask with Lehigh is “Can they outscore the other guy?” In this case the answer is yes, and the Brown’s less-than-first-class defense won’t make much difference. A win by at least two TDs.

Sacred Heart (1-0) at Lafayette (0-1) – Sacred Heart gave the scoreboard a serious workout @ Stetson in week one. I don’t think much of Stetson, so I’m throwing that out of the discussion. For the Pards, this is as close to a MUST win as they have if they intend to do anything more in 2017 than hold auditions for Garrett’s Kiddie Korps.

Georgetown (0-0) at Campbell (1-0) – If the Hoyas lose this one they should seriously question whether they’ve already dropped football.

PAllen
September 3rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
visiting teams across the board.

Fordham
September 3rd, 2017, 12:00 PM
visiting teams across the board.
really? Monmouth?

I'm too in the dumps to make a prediction. I just feel no sense of confidence heading up to CT.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2017, 12:02 PM
really? Monmouth?

I'm too in the dumps to make a prediction. I just feel no sense of confidence heading up to CT.

The game is at Monmouth.

Fordham
September 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
The game is at Monmouth.
ha.

i'm not even going to edit. head is in the crapper ever since 6:05pm Friday.

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2017, 01:45 PM
Last Week: 5-1 Overall: 5-1

Holy Cross
Fordham
Richmond
Sacred Heart
Lehigh
Campbell

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2017, 06:17 PM
Georgetown (0-0) at Campbell (1-0) – If the Hoyas lose this one they should seriously question whether they’ve already dropped football.

Georgetown has lost eight straight entering this game, and Campbell are already short timers in the Pioneer because they're headed for the Big South. At this point, Campbell is a legitimate favorite, in part because Georgetown's football model continues to fail to recruit impact players for a variety of reasons long since discussed on this board.

van
September 3rd, 2017, 07:02 PM
Holy Cross (0-1) at Bucknell (1-0) both can play D, but one has a sharpshooter QB

Fordham (0-1) at Central Connecticut (0-1) should be some fire from the Rams after last weeks beat down

Richmond (0-1) at Colgate (1-0) not sold on the Gate O and spiders have some fire power

Lehigh (0-1) at Monmouth (1-0) laid and egg against these guys last week, not happening this time

Sacred Heart (1-0) at Lafayette (0-1) Pards without a running game but young QB looks promising and the D is pretty good

Georgetown (0-0) at Campbell (1-0) Hoyas can win in the Pioneer

4-2 so far

ngineer
September 3rd, 2017, 07:31 PM
Holy Cross will light it up as if their lives depended on it, as they do. As pointed out, any aspirations of a title will all but evaporate with a loss. Bucknell always a competitive defensive team, so it could be close for awhile, but I take the Crusaders, 38-20.

Rams need to redeem themselves and fast to get the sour taste out of their mouths. I don't see any leaving off the gas as Edmonds will rush for 300 himself. Fordham 45-17

Richmond should be motivated from last week's debacle. Gate can keep it close for a bit, but I see Spiders spinning a tight web around the Raiders, 31-17

Sacred Heart has good momentum after a nice warm up with Stetson. Leotards are still feeling their way. Going with SHU, 28-17

Georgetown needs this win badly, but an opener against the humpers will not be easy as Campbell had a nice win to get the rust off. Campbell putting more emphasis on their program than do the Hoyas and they may have some real players as they plan to move up down the road. Can't take the Camels lightly as I expect them to win this one 24-20.

Lehigh should be very motivated this coming week after blowing several opportunities to knock off Villanova as well as payback for the sordid loss last year to these guys. I expect the D to be improved as some light could be seen in the second half against 'nova. I hope to see that continue. The O is capable of putting up 40+points every time out, and I expect the same, here. Lehigh 45-21.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
I'm going to and strike up a topic of debate for potential wedge piece. Best teams in PL history. 1987 HC is the no brainer. After that??....

Just off the top of my head based on years
'87 Holy Cross
'88 Lafayette
'89 Holy Cross
'90 Holy Cross
'91 Holy Cross
'98 Lehigh
'99 Colgate
'00 Lehigh
'01 Lehigh
'02 Fordham
'03 Colgate
'05 Lafayette
'11 Lehigh
'13 Fordham

Rough List
'87 HC
'03 Colgate
'98 Lehigh
'91 Holy Cross
'00 Lehigh
'11 Lehigh
'88 Lafayette
'90 Holy Cross
'89 Holy Cross
'99 Colgate

'13 Fordham, '01 Lehigh and '05 Lafayette all really good but not quite good enough?

Bill
September 3rd, 2017, 09:02 PM
Went 5-1 last week...my blemish was not picking Colgate!

Please note these picks are for entertainment purposes only xdrunkyx

BucBisonAtLarge
September 3rd, 2017, 11:26 PM
6-0
Holy Cross- The Bison rushed 39 times against Marist and produced 56 yards. Field position, helped by some brilliant punting, produced 45 points on 261 total yards in the rain. These stars won't align twice.
Fordham- Let's not panic here...
Richmond- Go 'gate but... Richmond is the real deal.
Lehigh- forget last week.
Sacred Heart- not yet 'pards
Georgetown- Hoyas begin the juggernaut

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Richmond is going to be one angry and hungry team. A very tough matchup for Colgate.

Just ran into former 'Gate LB Jared Nepa. He could still do some damage!

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2017, 11:05 AM
I am surprised that there are more Lafayette picks that Sacred Heart picks... the Bobby Valentine's know how to win... we do not, and we do not have the experience and talent yet to win games such as these (average teams).

van
September 4th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I am surprised that there are more Lafayette picks that Sacred Heart picks... the Bobby Valentine's know how to win... we do not, and we do not have the experience and talent yet to win games such as these (average teams).

well you are at home, your D was pretty steady last week, and the fr QB looks like the real deal, granted you can't run the ball but it is a NEC team you are playing

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
6-0 through Week 1. Not feeling nearly as confident in this week's picks, but not going to stop now xnodx

Holy Cross at Bucknell Holy Cross Fascinating early season contest between two teams that want to take a shot at the top tier. Not sure what we really learned from these past contests, a tough FBS loss and non-scholarship romp, either. I'm going to guess at this moment that the HC defense has enough in it to keep down the Bison offense, while Pujals puts up enough points to hold on for the win. Who's going to be in first place when the weekend is out?

Fordham at Central Connecticut Fordham Rams need to dust themselves off after taking a beating at West Point. A trip to New Britain can't hurt, as the Blue Devils haven't had a winning campaign since 2010. I still think Fordham belongs in the contender tier, and this is a good opportunity to demonstrate that Friday night was a bad exception rather than a regressing Ram team.

Richmond at Colgate Colgate Fresh off a big OOC win, the Raiders come home to battle probably the best team on their schedule. This one was a tight contest a year ago, though we'll see how different that is with the Spiders coming off a rough trip to Huntsville. A Colgate victory probably comes in the classic style: controlling the clock, limiting Richmond's offensive chances, and converting a couple of big plays at key moments.

Lehigh at Monmouth Lehigh A very tough loss at home to Villanova, but the Hawks showed some guts to come back as they did. This program tends to bounce back in Week 2, though Monmouth is tricky as the beach Hawks won a tight one in Bethlehem last year. More than a nice bounce-back, a win would reinforce Lehigh's standing as a team that really wants to make noise in the postseason. Such a team should beat Monmouth.

Sacred Heart at Lafayette Sacred Heart Lafayette had some flashes against Monmouth, but overall still has a few more growing pains to go through before they can really ascend in the standings. A young team is full of promise, but sometimes "promise" means laying an inopportune egg. That would be a dangerous enough circumstance, but a decent NEC team should be able to make hay of that. Leopard progress may still be measured in moral victories this year.

Georgetown at Campbell Georgetown I like Georgetown. Or, rather, I want to like Georgetown, but all the usual issues remain when talking about the Hoyas. This makes the Camels an interesting matchup, as they are preparing to ramp up and join the Big South. That, however, is in the future, and right now they are still a middling Pioneer team. Campbell has a game under their belts, but we'll see if that's enough to show them making a step forward. If the Hoyas don't win here, it's hard to see how many real shots they'll have at a "W."

RichH2
September 6th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Hoyas over Camels. Know nada about Campbell so staying with PL.
Pards over Sacred Heart. Speculating Garrett will coach Pards up. Open issue is OL. On paper this s/b a fairly talented group. Reminiscent of a chinese fire drill last week. Caveat is on paper Pards have had OL talent for years with zero production.
UR over Gate. Richmond on a higher level than Cal Poly.
Lehigh over Monmouth. Should be a big W. O will score bunches. For me, I need to see a better D.
Cross over Bison. I'll go with Pujols, no run game & mediocre D over a solid Dbwith no O.

Lehigh'98
September 6th, 2017, 10:35 AM
3-3 last week. PL actually won a few OOC games.

Holy Cross (0-1) 17 at Bucknell (1-0) 21
Fordham (0-1) 41 at Central Connecticut (0-1) 31
Richmond (0-1) 38 at Colgate (1-0) 28
Lehigh (0-1) 31 at Monmouth (1-0) 35
Sacred Heart (1-0) 3 at Lafayette (0-1) 49
Georgetown (0-0) 14 at Campbell (1-0) 24

crusader11
September 6th, 2017, 10:41 AM
4-2 last week...

Visiting teams across the board, with the exception of Georgetown, who loses to the mighty Camels.

Franks Tanks
September 6th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Hoyas over Camels. Know nada about Campbell so staying with PL.
Pards over Sacred Heart. Speculating Garrett will coach Pards up. Open issue is OL. On paper this s/b a fairly talented group. Reminiscent of a chinese fire drill last week. Caveat is on paper Pards have had OL talent for years with zero production.
UR over Gate. Richmond on a higher level than Cal Poly.
Lehigh over Monmouth. Should be a big W. O will score bunches. For me, I need to see a better D.
Cross over Bison. I'll go with Pujols, no run game & mediocre D over a solid Dbwith no O.

Garrett was very conservative in week 1. The strategy made sense to keep pressure off the young QB, allow your solid D to do its thing, and make some hay on the ground. Week 1 showed the Pards can't get anything going on the ground, and while the D is solid they aren't going to be shutting teams down. I think Garrett needs to let it fly this week, and throw they ball downfield, and he probably will. Sacred Heart will grind the D to a pulp with their running game if the O can't make some explosive plays.

CFBfan
September 6th, 2017, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;2519657]All seven teams in action this week.

keep in mind that after a big win on the other coast gate had a bye week giving them 2 weeks to prepare for a home game with the spiders...just sayin

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2017, 01:35 PM
If Colgate beats Richmond at home, they will have beaten two Top 25 teams in three weeks and will unquestionably have Patriot League Marquee Victories No. 1 and No. 2 this year. I'm not making my pick yet, but I would hardly dismiss Colgate out of hand. The Spiders; rushing D didn't exactly slow down the Bearkat's stable of backs last weekend, either.

Bluefish845
September 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Richmond
Lehigh
Sacred Heart
Georgetown

Go...gate
September 6th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Holy Cross 20, Bucknell 13

Fordham 27, Central Connecticut 17

Richmond 33, Colgate 26

Lehigh 28, Monmouth 21

Sacred Heart 23, Lafayette 16

Georgetown 22, Campbell 20

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Lehigh/Monmouth Game Preview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-monmouth-game-preview-revenge.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2017, 09:26 AM
The Wedge's week 2 preview

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-2-preview/

blackbeard
September 8th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Bucknell
Fordham
Richmond
Monmouth
Sacred Heart
Campbell

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2017, 10:05 AM
This is a pretty tough week to pick a lot of the games.

Fordham will win and Chase will get more than 200 all-purpose yards
Lehigh will win but it will be a single-digit win that will have Lehigh fans breaking out the Tums
Bucknell at home will stun Holy Cross in a solid defensive effort
Richmond will beat Colgate - in the end, a bad matchup for Raiders in the passing game
Lafayette I think will barely win this game, lots of pressure to win this at home and they barely will
Campbell will ride the confidence of last week's scrimmage to a win over the Hoyas

Sandlapper Spike
September 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Lehigh/Monmouth Game Narratives:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-monmouth-game-narratives.html

Lehigh/Monmouth Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-monmouth-game-breakdown-and.html

Leopard Loyalist
September 8th, 2017, 04:08 PM
5-1 last week to start the season.

ngineer
September 8th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Lehigh/Monmouth Game Narratives:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-monmouth-game-narratives.html

Lehigh/Monmouth Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-monmouth-game-breakdown-and.html

Your reasons for a close and low scoring game are reasonable based on the history of this series, recently. Considering the fair weather, I will be shocked if Lehigh is held under 40 points after putting up 35 (and squandering another 10) against Villanova. Mountain Hawks should be loaded for bear after last week and last year.

Bluefish845
September 9th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I will be tailgating in the Bushkill commons lot if any Leopard fans care to meet up. Follow the 2 Shu flags

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I can't get the Bucknell-HC stream to work!

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Holy crap. CCSU 17 FU 7. 1st period.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Holy crap. CCSU 17 FU 7. 1st period.

Yeah that's shocking! No offense to the Blue Devils but they were 2-9 last year and not expected to be anything more then 5-6/6-5 this year!

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Cross 10 Bucknell 0

Crusaders playing well again...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Monmouth nearly returned the opening kickoff against Lehigh

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:10 PM
TD Monmouth! That looked easy!

But they missed the XP 6-0...

van
September 9th, 2017, 12:12 PM
TD Monmouth! That looked easy!

more swiss cheese

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:13 PM
more swiss cheese

Terrible defense! Got to hold them to a FG!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Monmouth can play defense! Lehigh gets a big return and holds Lehigh on a 4th and 3..

van
September 9th, 2017, 12:17 PM
when is Mayes gonna learn to keep the zone read

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Holy Crap! Guirerro up the gut for a 71 yard TD! You could have drove a bus through the Lehigh DL!!

Easily get the 2 pt conversion!

The Lehigh defense is as bad as ever. How can this keep going on?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:31 PM
TD Lehigh! TP having a big game....

14-7 MU about 8 minutes left in 1Q

van
September 9th, 2017, 12:32 PM
guess Mayes got the message

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 12:34 PM
D just inept so far 14-0 jole to dig out of. Seems to be our mantra so far this year. Damn.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:36 PM
The strength of Lehigh's defense is clearly the secondary. They can cover....

Colgate defense playing tough so far against Richmond. Spiders moving the ball but 'Gate holding...

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Richmond 0
Colgate 0
End 1st

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:43 PM
TD Lehigh on 4th and goal from the 1

Game tied at 14 2:17 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Monmouth had 1st and 20 called 3 running plays and got the first down. That's not good....

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 12:54 PM
OL not moving bodies. Great catch by Casey

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 12:55 PM
1st and goal. Lord that D is clueless.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 12:59 PM
D stepped up and forced a FG. The DL just makes so few plays. They got pressure and forced the QB to step up on 3rd down otherwise nothing. Lehigh's the perfect D to run long developing pass plays against....

MU 17-14 about 10 minutes left in 2Q

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Zero pass rush. Blitzing needed to open up Oline and get pressure.
Seems we are on track for a Hank Small year unless D picks up a lot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:10 PM
TD Lehigh after a defensive holding call gives LU a first and goal.

21-17 Lehigh 3:18 2Q

Can the defense get a stop giving the offense another chance before half? They could take control of the game early in the 2nd half...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Holy Cross still in control against Bucknell 13-0. About 3 minutes left in 3Q

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Big plays every week. SMH 3rd and long no rush 50 yd completion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Big plays every week. SMH 3rd and long no rush 50 yd completion.

Can't get any pressure on the QB! It's insane!

Defense does hold Monmouth to a FG...

Lehigh 21-20 50 second left in first half....

RichH2
Held'em to a FG. A major coup with this D.

TheValleyRaider
Richmond 7
Colgate 7
Halftime

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Lehigh 21 Monmouth 20 Half

I can't believe the Mountain Hawks took a knee with 50 seconds and TO. Lehigh gets the ball to start the 2nd half. Need a TD drive...

van
September 9th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Lehigh 21 Monmouth 20 Half

I can't believe the Mountain Hawks took a knee with 50 seconds and TO. Lehigh gets the ball to start the 2nd half. Need a TD drive...
Think Coen in a hurry to get to locker room and ream some azzesss

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Holy Cross 20 Bucknell 0 start 4Q

Bison offense is non-existent. They didn't light it up last week despite the 45 points scored....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM
That didn't take long! TD Lehigh, but Mish misses the XP...lol. Still a 7 pt game....

27-20 14:20 3Q

van
September 9th, 2017, 01:54 PM
hope the long snapper is not a scholarship guy

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:00 PM
hope the long snapper is not a scholarship guy

I didn't see how it went just that it did.

Defense gets a 3 and out. Offense can really step on their throats this drive...

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Seems Andyvhad a word with the D. 3 and out and a sack. Hope we have that all half..

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Seems Andyvhad a word with the D. 3 and out and a sack. Hope we have that all half..
Guess not MU TD

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Guess not MU TD

That's why I didn't get taking a knee before half. They needed to take advantage of every possession in an attempt to score 40+ to win...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Second time today Monmouth had 1st and 20 and rushes for a 1st down....

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Richmond 7
Colgate 14
End 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:22 PM
TD Monmouth! Missed Xp.. Lehigh defense is reaching new all-time lows...

Monmouth 33-27 30 seconds left 3Q

van
September 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Holy Crap! Guirerro up the gut for a 71 yard TD! You could have drove a bus through the Lehigh DL!!

Easily get the 2 pt conversion!

The Lehigh defense is as bad as ever. How can this keep going on?

disagree Rich, worse than ever

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM
LU D sucks. MU TD. No pretense of any stops by D on that drive. Hot knife thru butter.

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Start 4th LU ball 4th and inches

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Monmouth 33 Lehigh 27 End 3Q

Lehigh facing a 4th and 1 at their own 40 or so to start the final quarter...

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Nana got the 1st. LU must get TD now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Well Monmouth can make this a 2 possession game now...

LUHawker
September 9th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Lehigh overrated. No defense. There I said it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:37 PM
TD Monmouth! 320 yards and 5 rushing TDs!! Wow, just when you thought things couldn't get worse....lol

39-27 Monmouth about 11 minutes lefts...

- - - Updated - - -

Lehigh overrated. No defense. There I said it.

Ohh absolutely! The defense is the worst I've ever seen and that's saying something given the last 3-4 years! I mean the DL is just anemic...

Lehigh'98
September 9th, 2017, 02:38 PM
We just aren't a great all around football team. Nice weapons on offense, but that is where it ends.

LUHawker
September 9th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Where is Bragalone in this game? I didn't see him get injured.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Monmouth forces a Mayes fumble and recovers! That should be the nail in the coffin....

PAllen
September 9th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Lehigh sucks. In other news, Colgate has a pretty good football team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Lehigh sucks. In other news, Colgate has a pretty good football team.

They're in more trouble at 0-2 than they were last year. Ugly....

Colgate and Holy Cross look like the clear favorites.

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Off that game, we are overrated and D is worse than at any point last year. New system new DC dont explain what we saw today. A D incapable of stopping the run. O did not play a super game. Gotta wonder why this team was not ready for this game.

cx500d
Monmouth 33 Lehigh 27 End 3Q

Lehigh facing a 4th and 1 at their own 40 or so to start the final quarter...

Whats going on with Lehigh? Another Monmouth TD

Neighbor2
Open the excuse book. There's 'gotta be something in there to explain this. Embarrassing performance all around.

RichH2
They're in more trouble at 0-2 than they were last year. Ugly....

Colgate and Holy Cross look like the clear favorites.
Yup.

PAllen
September 9th, 2017, 02:49 PM
So what happened to Villanova last week?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:49 PM
3rd and goal and barely and effort to stop Monmouth. The rout is on....

46-27 Monmouth 4:40 4Q

Safe to say Monmouth has surpassed Lehigh he last years. They've owned the PL lately...

RichH2
September 9th, 2017, 02:51 PM
A truly weak performance by the entire team and coaches.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Off that game, we are overrated and D is worse than at any point last year. New system new DC dont explain what we saw today. A D incapable of stopping the run. O did not play a super game. Gotta wonder why this team was not ready for this game.

The DL is terrible. They're just not big and physical. It's not going to get any better this year....

Lehigh'98
September 9th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Monmouth at almost 10 yds/carry.

LUHawker
September 9th, 2017, 02:56 PM
The DL is terrible. They're just not big and physical. It's not going to get any better this year....

D coaching also terrible.

Franks Tanks
September 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I guess this means Lehigh isn't going 10-1

PAllen
September 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM

I know you guys don't want to hear it, but it's coaching.

Southsider
September 9th, 2017, 03:01 PM
This program has become an embarrassment. All you Coen defenders have at it. Slow starts, no D for many years. This program won't sniff a ranking for years to come after this abortion. Nor do they deserve to. Monmouth athletes are far superior. I've bled brown/white for 45 years, and I have never so many poor performances as we all have witnessed over the last several years. And, I don't want to hear a thing about "great kids", "great education", "he does a good job keeping kids in line", etc. You are either going to commit to playing at the highest level, or get the program where it belongs, D3. Have a nice evening.

Southsider
September 9th, 2017, 03:03 PM

3-8 more like it......just awful

Neighbor2
September 9th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Of course it is. I still haven't forgiven this group since the debacle in Yankee Stadium.

PAllen
September 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM

Nope, but 1-10 is a possibility. I don't think it will be that bad, but a few breaks here and there and a few key injuries and a 1 or two win season is a real possibility.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Nope, but 1-10 is a possibility. I don't think it will be that bad, but a few breaks here and there and a few key injuries and a 1 or two win season is a real possibility.

No one saw this coming. Everyone basically far and wide was hoodwinked in thinking the defense would be at least decent. You're not going to pull two straight 0-2 starts out. Odds are this will be HUGELY disappointing year....

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Richmond 20
Colgate 17
Final

Lehigh'98
September 9th, 2017, 03:16 PM

It is. Never replaced key assistants lost on D or O. Defense was bad 4 years ago. Should have been addressed then by coaching staff.

Sader87
September 9th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Colgate has to be the early leader on the PL horsetrack this season. Fordham was fortunate to beat CCSU today (Edmonds injured?), we shut out Bucknell, great effort by our D but the Bison offense is atrocious-- and that's being kind. The Engineers have no defense and both Lafayette and GTown are works in progress.

MUHAWKS
September 9th, 2017, 03:43 PM
I am def not trying to be a dick here b/c frankly I have always found Lehigh fans to be very cool people but not one person giving credit to Monmouth- It is all about Lehigh coaching, bad defense blah blah- How do you know Monmouth will not make noise this year and perhaps challenge in the Big South? I am not saying as a MU fan that I am convinced of that yet b/c Charleston Southern and Kennesaw are still above us probably (Liberty not eligible to win conf) - but we have a Senior dominated O Line that returned all starters from Last year to go with 3 capable RB's and an NFL prospect at WR - It was our strength against your weakness and I understand it may be frustrating to see your D never be able to help the very good offense, but Monmouth actually stopped Lehigh when we had to - 27 points will not win you very many games in this current style of FCS football regardless of how good/bad your defense is so Maybe Monmouth deserves some credit here... With that said, not starting beef, love Lehigh program always treated well when at Goodman - just saying we may be good- Next week at Albany will show more (as will The Final score of Nova/Temple) Best to all you this year the rest of the way.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I am def not trying to be a dick here b/c frankly I have always found Lehigh fans to be very cool people but not one person giving credit to Monmouth- It is all about Lehigh coaching, bad defense blah blah- How do you know Monmouth will not make noise this year and perhaps challenge in the Big South? I am not saying as a MU fan that I am convinced of that yet b/c Charleston Southern and Kennesaw are still above us probably (Liberty not eligible to win conf) - but we have a Senior dominated O Line that returned all starters from Last year to go with 3 capable RB's and an NFL prospect at WR - It was our strength against your weakness and I understand it may be frustrating to see your D never be able to help the very good offense, but Monmouth actually stopped Lehigh when we had to - 27 points will not win you very many games in this current style of FCS football regardless of how good/bad your defense is so Maybe Monmouth deserves some credit here... With that said, not starting beef, love Lehigh program always treated well when at Goodman - just saying we may be good- Next week at Albany will show more (as will The Final score of Nova/Temple) Best to all you this year the rest of the way.

Monmouth played a helluva game but I think the narrative is a preseason Top 20 team that's 0-2 for the second straight year on PL thread. Lehigh's defense had been terrible for years. Monmouth will find out what they have move forward. Not against a defense as bad as Lehigh's.

van
September 9th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Monmouth has a very nice team and if the young QB continues to mature they can be pretty good, that said, I just don't think they are good enough to embarrass a good team the way they did today

Lehigh'98
September 9th, 2017, 04:08 PM

you are right. Monmouth played great and shut down the offense in 2nd half. Congrats

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Monmouth played a helluva game but I think the narrative is a preseason Top 20 team that's 0-2 for the second straight year on PL thread. Lehigh's defense had been terrible for years. Monmouth will find out what they have move forward. Not against a defense as bad as Lehigh's.

That's the problem with preseason polls. Not directed at Lehigh exclusively, but this happens every year to a few teams that have the "name" to be in the poll. Why isn't Saint Francis (defending NEC champ, lost by 10 points at 'Nova in the playoffs) in the preseason Top-25?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Monmouth beat Lehigh up and took their lunch money. They deserved to win. Saying anything less is just wrong.

MUHAWKS
September 9th, 2017, 04:44 PM
very good points (narrative about top 20 pre season etc. and the St Francis point the having or not having a "name" ) very true, and I get it for sure, Lehigh defense has not been good in a long time not sure at the "expense" of having a potent offense every year who knows, I am honestly stumped how Lehigh is seemingly always able to find a pro level type QB or at the least a very good college QB who can make all the throws, bunch of great wideouts to go with him Plus random RB's capable Rb's but never seems to have good team D-- I guess though, if I were a Lehigh fan and trying to be optimistic I would be thinking after 2 weeks : Lost a very close game with chance to win against top 10 FCS Nova who may win Colonial ( although James Madison prob will) and will almost certainly be in playoffs, then were in a neck and neck game with a Monmouth team who beat them last year and returned 14 starters (Monmouth did) and was anyones game really until late-- A MU team who "may" do damage this yr.. The offense can score with anyone and the D can ONLY improve so although Colgate looks very good I am not sold on Holy Cross, Fordham aint the same, just saying shake out the cobwebs move on and I see no reason why a PL title and playoff birth cannot happen, although I understand if the D cannot vastly improve it may not matter--- sidenote I played for MU in late 90's early 2000's and we played at Goodman, got ROLLED- ya'll had a big bruising Fullback who later was diagnosed with MLS-- does anyone know his condition? Brett Snyder I believe.. I played DT and had an unblocked kill shot on him on a dive play and although I made the tackle for no gain it was the hardest hit I took ever playong football in terms of being 100% full go unblocked and not even moving him back

MUHAWKS
September 9th, 2017, 04:49 PM
sorry I meant ALS not MLS- just did an Internet search and see he is still fighting- THAT is what makes all this Football stuff menial--seeing someone fight like that--with that said since some of us are lucky to be healthy there is nothing wrong with us being degenerate FCS football fans!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Georgetown got a nice win!

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Georgetown got a nice win!

It's Groundhog Day yet again for the Hoyas, whose defense bails out the offense time and time again. Georgetown was 1 of 13 on third down conversions against a Pioneer defense and had 23 rushing yards at halftime. This, for a team with 16 returning starters.

If the offense can't do more than this, they'll beat Marist and that will be it for the rest of the season.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 9th, 2017, 08:33 PM
That's the problem with preseason polls. Not directed at Lehigh exclusively, but this happens every year to a few teams that have the "name" to be in the poll. Why isn't Saint Francis (defending NEC champ, lost by 10 points at 'Nova in the playoffs) in the preseason Top-25?

It is ridiculous.

cx500d
September 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM
It is ridiculous.

STFU might creep in this week....

ngineer
September 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Well, I was there and have been back for a couple hours drowning my sorrows while watching Lafayette/SHU. First, Monmouth is a good football team. Their O Line was impressive and as stated, all starters back from last year's team that ran the ball down our throats. We all knew they would do the same scheme and simply out muscled, out manned,and punched us in the face and we did not respond. This was horribly embarrassing. I sense too many people read their preseason press clippings and polls too much and particularly the players. Coen has a big problem on his hands. Last year's team was bad against MU but woke up and played much better the following week against Villanova in a close loss. They were able to take that momentum into the following week with a big win and ran off 9 straight. This year, we played hard and lost a heartbreaker to Villanova which we could easily have won but for some glaring mistakes by offensive stars who never make them. The second week, when all good teams are measured as to their improvement, we REGRESS and were absolutely pitiful on defense. The tackling was absolutely atrocious. Nothing but arm reaching and lunging. No one driving a shoulder into any one. No pressure on MU's QB, who showed an very nice arm and accuracy. Meanwhile, we are coming out of this morass with Bragalone hurt--looks like a shoulder from my vantage point and WR Christiano supposedly broke a bone in his hand. However, we have decent depth at these positions and they don't play defense. Despite last year's trouncing of Yale, the Bulldogs could well come down here and give a mortal blow if we see another pathetic display as this. Or, these guys will take a serious look in the mirror and challenge themselves, accordingly. They can still turn this around, but it will be harder than last year. We will now find out what they are really made of and either new momentum will be generated in righting the ship or there will begin a big sucking sound that could result in one of the most disappointing seasons in Lehigh's history. BTW, in the event you are unsure, I am royally pissed.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 9th, 2017, 08:59 PM
STFU might creep in this week....

SFU

carney2
September 9th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Everyone who even thinks of themselves as a Patriot League fan should be issued a bag to wear over their head for the rest of the season.

LEHIGH was an embarrassment to all today. Number one in the League and Top 25 team, yerass.
FORDHAM gives us every reason to believe that they are going to have to overachieve just to be average.
COLGATE ... well, they appear to be our only real hope.
HOLY CROSS ... maybe.
BUCKNELL is same old, same old.
GEORGETOWN got a win with a non-scholarship and supposedly non-competitive program. Good for them.
LAFAYETTE's supposedly "great" defense was absolutely shredded by Sacred Heart for 506 yds. The offense wasn't much better.

I am looking for my scissors to cut the eye and nose holes in my paper bag to watch two more months of this "Division I scholarship football." I'll need a second bag to puke in.

cx500d
September 9th, 2017, 09:14 PM
SFU

Thats what I said ST.FU

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM
sorry I meant ALS not MLS- just did an Internet search and see he is still fighting- THAT is what makes all this Football stuff menial--seeing someone fight like that--with that said since some of us are lucky to be healthy there is nothing wrong with us being degenerate FCS football fans!

Brett's a personal hero of mine and you are completely right. Good luck the rest of the way.

Sader87
September 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Everyone who even thinks of themselves as a Patriot League fan should be issued a bag to wear over their head for the rest of the season.

LEHIGH was an embarrassment to all today. Number one in the League and Top 25 team, yerass.
FORDHAM gives us every reason to believe that they are going to have to overachieve just to be average.
HOLY CROSS ... maybe.
GEORGETOWN got a win with a non-scholarship and supposedly non-competitive program. Good for them.
LAFAYETTE's supposedly "great" defense was absolutely shredded by Sacred Heart for 506 yds. The offense wasn't much better.

I am looking for my scissors to cut the eye and nose holes in my paper bag to watch two more months of this "Division I scholarship football." I'll need a second bag to puke in.

Agreed, not optimum results league-wide....but methinks you're being a tad harsh overall. Patriot League football does exist beyond the NE cornah of Pennsylvania despite what Lehigh and Lafayette fans want to believe. Colgate has shown they can basically play with anyone at the FCS level this year and HC is off to perhaps its best start in awhile. We'll see what next week brings....some very tough OOC games overall.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Agreed, not optimum results league-wide....but methinks you're being a tad harsh overall. Patriot League football does exist beyond the NE cornah of Pennsylvania despite what Lehigh and Lafayette fans want to believe. Colgate has shown they can basically play with anyone at the FCS level this year and HC is off to perhaps its best start in awhile. We'll see what next week brings....some very tough OOC games overall.

PL:

2-0 vs. PFL
1-1 vs. NEC (and W was Fordham last-minutes win vs. CCSU)
0-2 vs. CAA
0-1 vs. Big South
0-2 vs. FBS
1-0 vs. Big Sky

Colgate has proved they might be good. Holy Cross' record is what fans expected after their first two games, no more, no less. The rest? All disappointing in some way in varying degrees.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2017, 09:53 PM
No one saw this coming. Everyone basically far and wide was hoodwinked in thinking the defense would be at least decent. You're not going to pull two straight 0-2 starts out. Odds are this will be HUGELY disappointing year....

It's still early. Everyone off the ledge.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2017, 09:56 PM

I believe Holy Cross may have a very fine ball club. I thought they played well against UConn and any conference win is always good.

Sader87
September 9th, 2017, 10:34 PM
UNH will be the real barometer for HC. UConn, though FBS, has a new/old coach, still feeling their way around etc. and we couldn't seal the deal despite a fine effort. Bucknell is really not a true test on how much we've improved...the defense was solid today but it was Bucknell's offense they were up against after all.

Not expecting a win against UNH next week in Fitton, but a fairly competitive game against the Wildcats will mean more than today's W at Bucknell today imo.

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2017, 10:34 PM

HOLY CROSS ... maybe.

Yes, it's early, but it begs the question: it's been almost 15 years since since the PL was driving multiple top 25 rankings and playoff contenders, not merely names on the first round bracket. Now, it's neither uncommon nor unexpected to see NEC and Big South teams getting the better of PL teams. How does that change?

Sader87
September 9th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Yes, it's early, but it begs the question: it's been almost 15 years since since the PL was driving top 25 rankings and playoff contenders, not merely names on the first round bracket. Now, it's neither uncommon nor unexpected to see NEC and Big South teams getting the better of PL teams. How does that change?

You build a 90MM practice facility and start recruiting bettah for startahhs....oh wait, we're talking about Georgetown....never mind :)

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2017, 10:55 PM
You build a 90MM practice facility and start recruiting bettah for startahhs....oh wait, we're talking about Georgetown....never mind :)

FWIW, the $50M gift was not all directed at the facility; if it were, something would have been built by now.

But back to the topic--what is preventing the PL from reestablishing itself?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2017, 11:38 PM
FWIW, the $50M gift was not all directed at the facility; if it were, something would have been built by now.

Winning big games on a consistent basis.

Sader87
September 10th, 2017, 12:01 AM

Talking about the new HC facility....Holy Cross is definitely bettah now that we have scholarships back (by the eye test admittedly)...I still think we have issues moving forward with coaching, institutional support etc....but HC football in the PL scholarship-era looks like it will be a helluva lot bettah than it was from 1992-2013 during the non-scholarship era.

If PL schools truly commit to football i.e. putting $$$/emphasis on football etc.....they can very easily be "right there" at the top of a frankly, very watered down FCS from where it was 25 years ago.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2017, 01:24 AM

I'm not so sure that we are not reestablishing ourselves. That was going to take some time, anyway.

PAllen
September 10th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Well, I was there and have been back for a couple hours drowning my sorrows while watching Lafayette/SHU. First, Monmouth is a good football team. Their O Line was impressive and as stated, all starters back from last year's team that ran the ball down our throats. We all knew they would do the same scheme and simply out muscled, out manned,and punched us in the face and we did not respond. This was horribly embarrassing. I sense too many people read their preseason press clippings and polls too much and particularly the players. Coen has a big problem on his hands. Last year's team was bad against MU but woke up and played much better the following week against Villanova in a close loss. They were able to take that momentum into the following week with a big win and ran off 9 straight. This year, we played hard and lost a heartbreaker to Villanova which we could easily have won but for some glaring mistakes by offensive stars who never make them. The second week, when all good teams are measured as to their improvement, we REGRESS and were absolutely pitiful on defense. The tackling was absolutely atrocious. Nothing but arm reaching and lunging. No one driving a shoulder into any one. No pressure on MU's QB, who showed an very nice arm and accuracy. Meanwhile, we are coming out of this morass with Bragalone hurt--looks like a shoulder from my vantage point and WR Christiano supposedly broke a bone in his hand. However, we have decent depth at these positions and they don't play defense. Despite last year's trouncing of Yale, the Bulldogs could well come down here and give a mortal blow if we see another pathetic display as this. Or, these guys will take a serious look in the mirror and challenge themselves, accordingly. They can still turn this around, but it will be harder than last year. We will now find out what they are really made of and either new momentum will be generated in righting the ship or there will begin a big sucking sound that could result in one of the most disappointing seasons in Lehigh's history. BTW, in the event you are unsure, I am royally pissed.

My problem with all of this quick turn around talk is the lack of fundamentals. I don't believe there is anyone currently on the team (players or coaches) who knows how to routinely make fundamentally sound tackles. It can and is done at this level. I watched Howard make sound tackle after sound tackle against Kent State all afternoon. The problem is, that at this point in a player's development, it is instinctual. You're not going to change that instinct in a week, especially without tackling in practice. Maybe the coaches take a hard look at their play calling and make some needed changes. Maybe the players take a hard look at their attitude and get their heads straight. Those would help, but from what I've seen, the only way the record improves is because we play worse teams. We may or may not get by Yale, but Colgate looks very much like a loss. Once that happens, does the team fall apart? The only probable wins I see on paper at this point are Georgetown and Lafayette. Lafayette is always going to be a roll of the dice regardless, so there is an actual possibility at a one win season. I honestly think we'll pick up a few more out of the group of Bucknell, Yale, Penn, Wagner and maybe Fordham, but this is not a good team. There are some very good players, but the team leaves a lot to be desired.

ngineer
September 10th, 2017, 08:36 AM

HOLY CROSS ... maybe.

Pretty much on point, Carney. Maybe you have yourself a cottage industry with red, white and blue paper bag franchise. Stars for the eyes...It's been awhile for Lehigh to have a "must win" situation, but I think this coming Saturday is as close as one could have.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Yes, it's early, but it begs the question: it's been almost 15 years since since the PL was driving multiple top 25 rankings and playoff contenders, not merely names on the first round bracket. Now, it's neither uncommon nor unexpected to see NEC and Big South teams getting the better of PL teams. How does that change?

I don't know that we were really "playoff contenders" outside of a few years and teams. Outside of Colgate in 2003, how many PL teams went past the quarterfinals? 1-1 is better than 1-and-done, but is it really a big difference.

I don't put as much stock into national rankings. This is still a highly regional sport, and even the AGS poll has its blinders, to say nothing of the media and coaches polls. How different is this Colgate team (ORV/low 20s) from last year's (no votes), and the year prior (finished in the teens)?

There are a few other things outside of our control that changed in that period as well. The NEC and Big South have both made strides to become more competitive both regionally and nationally. I suspect the CAA taking over for the A-10 helped the development of that league and those programs as well. The landscape in this region is a little more crowded, and it's not just about the PL regressing.

How do we change that? I think having the PL Network is a good step (all games available online for free), having scholarships helps some. We've touched on many of those League-wide steps as well (the AI and redshirting are probably the biggest ones). Some of these changes need to be made on an institutional level as well. Colgate and Lehigh seem like fundamentally sound programs overall. Fordham is relatively strong, I think, but has greater volatility with its coaches. Lafayette may come back if Garrett is the right guy. That is, over the potential long-term, 4 programs that could compete for the League title. How much does that drive additional improvements between those 4 (to say nothing of the other 3)?

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I also want to be careful about overreacting too much to the results of this weekend. So far this season, the League hasn't really done that much that's unexpected. The two most unexpected results are probably Colgate over Cal Poly and Monmouth over Lehigh (which seems like a wash, one good and one bad). Is the League really that bad, or are we right about where we all expected it to be?

There may be a separate argument about our overall expectation level, what it is and where it ought to be, but so far I can't say we've underperformed. Not if the only real point of evidence is Lehigh lost an OOC game.

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 11:02 AM
"le high is a top 10 team" y'all said...

Anyone who doesn't think so and says it is a troll y'all said...

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 10th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Thats what I said ST.FU

Hilarious.

ngineer
September 10th, 2017, 09:26 PM
"le high is a top 10 team" y'all said...

Anyone who doesn't think so and says it is a troll y'all said...

No. I ranked us between 17-20, but said and still think we have a "top ten offense". Problem is that is only half a team and the defense has not figured it out, yet. If they don't get it turned around the next couple weeks, it will get ugly, and many will be beseeching Higgins to return to instill a D (which is what he did in 1995 when he took over the reins). While too many are in love with the "Air Lehigh" of the past, it is only with defense that one can be a consistent winner. Right now we do not deserve to be in any kind of discussion, but if the guys still believe in themselves and go on a run like last year, they can still have a very successful season. We shall see.