PDA

View Full Version : NEC Pick 'em - Week 1

RedFlash
August 30th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Week 1 of the NEC season kicks off Thursday night and features one match up with an FBS team and three games against D-II schools. As those of us who follow the NEC know, with only 7 teams, scheduling 5 out-of-conference games each year can be a real chore - resulting in 5 D-II match-ups this season. If Duquesne's QB plays well (I'm assuming they are going with the Boise St. transfer), they could give South Dakota St. a decent game. Otherwise, I suspect that the only other games that have the potential to be close are the Stetson/SHU or the Dayton/RMU game.

Picks are in bold

THURSDAY - 8.31.17
Duquesne @ South Dakota St.
Saint Anselm (D-II) @ Wagner

FRIDAY - 9.1.17
Central Connecticut @ Syracuse

SATURDAY - 9.2.17
Lock Haven (D-II) @ Saint Francis U
Dayton @ Robert Morris
Merrimack (D-II) @ Bryant
Stetson @ Sacred Heart

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2017, 12:10 PM
South Dakota State 27 Duquesne 7
Wagner 35 St. Anselm's 7
Syracuse 45 CCSU 7
StFU 31 Lock Haven 0
Robert Morris 20 Dayton 13
Bryant 21 Merrimack 7
Sacred Heart 28 Stetson 7

RedFlash
August 30th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Robert Morris 20 Dayton 13

Jimmy Walker will need to be dyn-o-mite for RMU to get the win.

Bluefish845
August 30th, 2017, 03:15 PM
South Dakota State -Jack Rabbits have too many weapons
Wagner - Expecting a big year from the Seahawks
Syracuse - Hopefully the Blue Devils don't get hurt too bad difficult opening 3 games
StFU - but not as easy as it should be after losing some key positions to injury and graduation
Dayton - RMU still has a solid defense but offensively struggles trying to find the right players in the right position on offense
Bryant - Defense is improved probably but a frosh at qb will have some growing pains
Sacred Heart - Emotional game for the Hatters, SHU will find a way to pull out the win, 9 returners on offense and 7 on defense, new DC hopefully the secondary steps up.

KnightoftheRedFlash
August 30th, 2017, 05:51 PM
South Dakota State
Wagner
Syracuse
Saint Francis University
Dayton
Bryant
Sacred Heart

Hopefully, only the Red Flash win!

bonarae
August 30th, 2017, 06:52 PM
South Dakota State
Wagner
Syracuse
St. Francis
Dayton
Bryant
Sacred Heart

Original_RMC
August 31st, 2017, 10:15 AM
Duquesne @ South Dakota St - Dukes breaking in a new QB on the road. Sure they have Hines but SDSU will stack the box against the Dukes. SDSU is ranked within the Top 5 for a reason. SDSU 41 Dukes 13

Saint Anselm @ Wagner - Wagner will get up big early and then crush the 2nd half with backups. Wagner 31 Saint Anselm 9

CCSU @ Syracuse - Money game for CCSU and happy to see more NEC teams step up to FBS. CCSU has some great skill players for the NEC but not the ACC. CCSU's OL will be challenged all day. Syracuse 55 CCSU 17

Lock Haven @ SFU - Both programs starting new QBs. SFU going with Houston transfer Bear Fenimore at QB. SFU has a monster OL with all 5 starters (and even their TE) being at least 6'4". Only one starter not listed over 300lbs. I think SFU will start slow and turn it on in the 2nd half to pull away. SFU 34 Lock Haven 20

Dayton @ RMU - RMU is 2-17 against Dayton. The last win coming on the road in 2000!!!
RMU is showing an offense that could have 7 new starters who are making their 1st ever start at RMU. Dayton is without their starting QB but return good skill players on offense. Dayton's D is replacing some key players. One thing to watch is special teams. RMU has a new kicker and new long snapper. RMU has struggled over the years with Special Teams. RMU should win this home game...RMU better win this home game.
RMU 21 Dayton 17

Merrimack @ Bryant - New Head Coach and new system for Bryant. It seems it will be either Devin Rey or Price Wilson at QB who are both transfers. Bryant will struggle in their 1st game and leave points off the board. But they should easily win their home opener.
Bryan 24 Merrimack 13

Stetson @ SHU - The Stetson football program is dealing with the lost of one of their players this week. So. Nick Blakely collapsed on the sideline during practice this week and passed away on August 28th. Thoughts and Prayers are with his family.
This is a lot for a team to deal on the road from FL to CT. The big question for SHU this year is can Kevin Duke led the team who is replacing RJ Noel.
I think SHU uses their running game and tough D to win a close game.
SHU 24 Stetson 20

RedFlash
August 31st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Lock Haven @ SFU - Both programs starting new QBs. SFU going with Houston transfer Bear Fenimore at QB. SFU has a monster OL with all 5 starters (and even their TE) being at least 6'4". Only one starter not listed over 300lbs. I think SFU will start slow and turn it on in the 2nd half to pull away. SFU 34 Lock Haven 20

If Lock Haven scores 20 against this StFU defense it will be a very long year for my Red Flash. But I just don't see it happening. The secondary is really good and I think the LB unit has the chance to be very good this year.

Original_RMC
August 31st, 2017, 02:16 PM
If Lock Haven scores 20 against this StFU defense it will be a very long year for my Red Flash. But I just don't see it happening. The secondary is really good and I think the LB unit has the chance to be very good this year.

Agree but there could be some mistakes that lead to easy points for Lock Haven; Special Teams....offensive turnover.

It happens to every team. I still believe SFU will be very strong this year.

RedFlash
August 31st, 2017, 04:34 PM
Agree but there could be some mistakes that lead to easy points for Lock Haven; Special Teams....offensive turnover.

There is at least one game like that every year - so if we can get it out of the way early, I'm all for that.

RedFlash
September 1st, 2017, 08:30 AM
Duquesne @ South Dakota St - Dukes breaking in a new QB on the road. Sure they have Hines but SDSU will stack the box against the Dukes. SDSU is ranked within the Top 5 for a reason. SDSU 41 Dukes 13

You pretty much nailed this one O_RMC.

I watched most of the first half of this one and was really surprised how easy this was for SDSU. I realize that Duquesne was breaking in a new QB and Hines missed a good chunk of time in the first half with an apparent injury, but even if Hines had played the entire time, I doubt he could have done much. Not sure if SDSU is that good or if Duquesne is that bad. Probably a little of both, I suspect.