PDA

View Full Version : Game Week: NC A&T vs. Gardner-Webb (9/2/2017)

WestCoastAggie
August 29th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I figured I start a thread for this really intriguing game.

You got an A&T squad, featuring a very high-powered offense going against one of the best QB's in all of FCS.

It should end up being a shootout at Gardner-Webb Saturday night.

What say 'ye?

- - - Updated - - -

Aggies notebook: A&T prepares for football season without star tailback

By Jeff Mills
[email protected]

GREENSBORO — And so A&T begins life AT.

After Tarik.

Tarik Cohen, the MEAC’s all-time leading rusher and one of the best players in N.C. A&T’s long football history, is gone, taken in the fourth round of the NFL draft and in the midst of an impressive training camp with the Chicago Bears.

But don’t weep for the Aggies. The star of their offense the last four seasons has been replaced by depth on offense.

“We have a chance to have our best offensive team since I’ve been here,” A&T coach Rod Broadway said Monday, “because we have so many different places from where we feel we can make plays.”

Quarterback Lamar Raynard returns for a third season, and the 6-foot-4 junior from High Point passed for 1,489 yards and 14 touchdowns last year. A chest injury cut his season short a year ago, and A&T’s offense wasn’t the same in its final three games.

“He’s really grown up,” Broadway said. “… I’d like to see him make more plays with his feet. But as far as knowing the game, his timing, getting the ball out of his hand and getting it to the right spot, Lamar is going to be outstanding eventually.”

Raynard's completion percentage of 64.6 set a single-season school record, breaking the mark set by Connell Maynor in 1991.

“When Lamar got hurt,” Broadway said, “it really set us back. … He was playing at a level we haven’t seen around here in a long time. But he’s started off right where he ended last season. Hopefully he can continue to grow as a football player and as a leader.”

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/aggies-notebook-a-t-prepares-for-football-season-without-star/article_34205067-192a-530a-957e-1b6e3f5ce71a.html

Professor
August 29th, 2017, 02:18 PM
If (A&T) loses, this will further doom the MEAC as a less than conference. This is a must win for the Aggies and the MEAC

citdog
August 29th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Gardner Webb is a sleeper and very well could challenge CSU for the Big South Title.

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Gardner-Webb plays tougher than their record indicates. A&T and NCCU later in the year need to have good showings against them.

ASU33
August 29th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Gardner-Webb plays tougher than their record indicates. A&T and NCCU later in the year need to have good showings against them.

I agree. Both the SWAC and MEAC will have opportunities to make statements in non conference play this year.

Panther88
August 29th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I agree. Both the SWAC and MEAC will have opportunities to make statements in non conference play this year.

+1.

NorthChuckSouth
August 29th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Gardner Webb is a sleeper and very well could challenge CSU for the Big South Title.
100% agreed.. they tend to be inconsistent from week to week though. However, i think GWU takes this one by two or three touchdowns

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2017, 10:57 AM
100% agreed.. they tend to be inconsistent from week to week though. However, i think GWU takes this one by two or three touchdowns

Not sure about that. It's early in the season, and the Aggie faithful may make this into a home game for them. I think this stays within ten. The lines I see right now are G-W -6.5.

WestCoastAggie
August 30th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Not sure about that. It's early in the season, and the Aggie faithful may make this into a home game for them. I think this stays within ten. The lines I see right now are G-W -6.5.

Sagarin Ratings has G-Webb as 2 point favorites. The Runnin' Dogs got some WR's that require attention, however. This one will come down to the O-Lines.

bigchocolate
August 30th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Aggies win by larger margin than anyone expects. GW will not feast on A&T run defense. I will be very surprised if GW can consistently stop a better than average Aggie offense. Looking forward to a great hard hitting game from both sides.

WestCoastAggie
August 30th, 2017, 05:46 PM
The Runnin Bulldogs seem to be really concerned about A&T's offensive line.

North Carolina A&T may have graduated fourth-round NFL draft pick and all-time great Tarik Cohen from the run-ning back position, but the powerful offensive line that opened holes for the All-America standout returns much of itstalent – anchored by another NFL prospect in left tackle Brandon Parker (6-7, 309, Sr.). Parker is a preseason FCSAll-America choice from Kannapolis, N.C., and is joined up front by veterans Macquel Hardy (6-3, 295, Jr.), Joshua Mattocks (6-3, 331, R-Sr.), Darriel Mack (6-2, 293, R-Sr.), Micah Shaw (6-1, 290, Jr.), Daquan Black (6-0, 295, Sr.and Marcus Pettiford (6-3, 271, RSo.). The Aggies have nine upperclassmen – including five seniors – among theirtop-10 offensive linemen. That group allowed just 13 sacks in 355 pass attempts last season, an amazing number, andmade sure Cohen did damage to the tune of 1,588 yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground. The Aggies averaged 35.2points per game and 402.6 yards per game of total offense.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/gwu.sidearmsports.com/documents/2017/8/29/2017GameNotes_FB_1.pdf

WileECoyote06
August 30th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Sagarin Ratings has G-Webb as 2 point favorites. The Runnin' Dogs got some WR's that require attention, however. This one will come down to the O-Lines.

This means A&T would be favored on a neutral field or at home.

WestCoastAggie
September 2nd, 2017, 08:33 PM
So A&T won surprisingly easily 45-3 against Big South Conference Title contender Gardner-Webb.

Stat of the night:

Lamar Raynard - 19/22 (86.4 Completion Percentage), 321 Yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's, Passer Rating: 253.9

He also completed a pass to a Tom Brady-Like 7 different receivers.

This is a Payton Award Finalist stat line.

superman7515
September 2nd, 2017, 08:45 PM
A good win for the Aggies.

WestCoastAggie
September 2nd, 2017, 09:38 PM
A good win for the Aggies.

Are you doing the spreadsheet this season?

Professor
September 3rd, 2017, 11:26 AM
So much for GW chances at winning the Big South. Would help our resume tho

WestCoastAggie
September 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
https://youtu.be/4FtyDQLhjuU

OL FU
September 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Aggies win by larger margin than anyone expects. GW will not feast on A&T run defense. I will be very surprised if GW can consistently stop a better than average Aggie offense. Looking forward to a great hard hitting game from both sides.

Winner!

walliver
September 3rd, 2017, 02:54 PM
Gardner Webb is a sleeper and very well could challenge CSU for the Big South Title.They definitely slept😄

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Schism55
September 3rd, 2017, 05:29 PM
So A&T won surprisingly easily 45-3 against Big South Conference Title contender Gardner-Webb.

Stat of the night:

Lamar Raynard - 19/22 (86.4 Completion Percentage), 321 Yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's, Passer Rating: 253.9

He also completed a pass to a Tom Brady-Like 7 different receivers.

This is a Payton Award Finalist stat line.
Says freaking who?

WestCoastAggie
September 3rd, 2017, 07:01 PM
Says freaking who?

Citdog?

NorthChuckSouth
September 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Okay so i was VERY wrong.. great win! I honestly though GWU would put up a better fight but I was incredibly wrong

Thumper 76
September 3rd, 2017, 10:42 PM
This guy nailed it holy crap

Okay so i was VERY wrong.. great win! I honestly though GWU would put up a better fight but I was incredibly wrong
Did any Big South team put up a fight this weekend? xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthChuckSouth
September 3rd, 2017, 10:43 PM
This guy nailed it holy crap

Did any Big South team put up a fight this weekend? xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha not our brightest weekend