PDA

View Full Version : Favorable NCAA Suspension Appeals

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 02:43 PM
The Mocs have had two players suspended by the NCAA (Academic and undisclosed....) both have been appealed, but they both missed the first game. The Academic is set for a 4 game suspension and the undisclosed is set for 5.5 games. Has anybody heard of an appeal to the NCAA getting a favorable decision from the NCAA? Circumstances?

citdog
August 28th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Why not just recruit players who go to class and don't do drugs? Seems a whole lot easier...

jmufan999
August 28th, 2017, 08:10 PM
The Mocs have had two players suspended by the NCAA (Academic and undisclosed....) both have been appealed, but they both missed the first game. The Academic is set for a 4 game suspension and the undisclosed is set for 5.5 games. Has anybody heard of an appeal to the NCAA getting a favorable decision from the NCAA? Circumstances?

don't believe i've ever heard of an appeal working, although i'm sure one has. if it's academic, i can't think of how an appeal would get anywhere. it's pretty black and white. for drugs, you could only hope for a contaminated sample, maybe? mishandling of the sample? i would seriously doubt that at the FCS level, they're going to do that kind of investigation. i believe the undisclosed is almost certainly drugs, as it's a mandatory half season suspension. as JMU is learning, the playoffs do count toward that suspension, thankfully.

walliver
August 30th, 2017, 09:13 AM
An academic suspension instituted by the NCAA and not the school is unlikely to be overturned. I wonder if this suspension is really the athlete's fault, or if someone in the athletic department was asleep at the wheel and didn't check over his class schedule. Just because an athlete is on track to graduate doesn't mean he has enough hours to count as a full-time student by NCAA standards. If these are real academic problems, then Chattanooga has more pressing problems than football.

To win an appeal on possible drug issues is unlikely.

In fact, NCAA appeals in general are hard to win unless your are a prominent P5 program (FSU or Texas A&M, et al.)

GreenGlasses
August 30th, 2017, 09:57 AM
You don't have the right name on the front of your jersey to win an appeal. That's just the facts...