PDA

View Full Version : FCS Map

The Cats
August 28th, 2017, 01:08 PM
I thought this is an interesting map I found looking something else up........

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2308083/FCS_Map.png?_ga=1.121720843.1615374181.1346896457

RootinFerDukes
August 28th, 2017, 01:27 PM
No Dukes. Map is worthless. They should've moved JMU further north or make the logos smaller. Harrisonburg and Lexington are separated by 45 minutes.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Georgia Southern is on this thing

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Georgia Southern is on this thing

So is App State, Liberty and Coastal Carolina..... (insert snide comment about Ivies, SWAC and MEAC here)..... Why don't we play the NC in Lexington, KY? (that looks most central)

The Cats
August 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I didn't say it was perfect, just interesting to visually see where the majority of FCS programs are geographically.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I didn't say it was perfect, just interesting to visually see where the majority of FCS programs are geographically.

This has been around fora while, I think it first surfaced when they were looking at moving the NC to Frisco.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 28th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Ya also no wonder how the best teams in the west get screwed over in the playoffs. SDSU might as well have permanent training facilities in Missoula and Fargo.

KPSUL
August 28th, 2017, 02:00 PM
No Dukes. Map is worthless. They should've moved JMU further north or make the logos smaller. Harrisonburg and Lexington are separated by 45 minutes.

Obliterated by, of all teams, VMI !

Thumper 76
August 28th, 2017, 02:10 PM
So is App State, Liberty and Coastal Carolina..... (insert snide comment about Ivies, SWAC and MEAC here)..... Why don't we play the NC in Lexington, KY? (that looks most central)

Here we go again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Here we go again...

It was a historical reference.....That was the reason the map surfaced in the first place. It was purely intended to show a concentration over Western VA, Eastern KY, Eastern TN and Western NC......I think the original poster/creator of the Map was lobbying for Louisville....I said Lexington....close enough.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Obliterated by, of all teams, VMI !

SoCon Bias!!!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 02:44 PM
One of our own guys did the original and it it is still linked in the black bar up above the normal forum although much of the information in there needs to be updated. Here is the link to Mountainerrs original map.

https://foursquare.com/user/20353676/list/ncaa-division-i-fcs-football-stadiums

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 02:46 PM
It was a historical reference.....That was the reason the map surfaced in the first place. It was purely intended to show a concentration over Western VA, Eastern KY, Eastern TN and Western NC......I think the original poster/creator of the Map was lobbying for Louisville....I said Lexington....close enough.

xlolx You nailed the tone of the originals with that one and Thump's reply gave me a good laugh in response. Well done, both of you.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 02:49 PM
xlolx You nailed the tone of the originals with that one and Thump's reply gave me a good laugh in response. Well done, both of you.

I was pretty sure I wasn't making all that up....but if I was I was going at it with conviction!!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I was pretty sure I wasn't making all that up....but if I was I was going at it with conviction!!!!

Holy Christ the CAA and SoCon fellers used to sharpen that axe daily. 89Hen was always chipping in on that one.xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Holy Christ the CAA and SoCon fellers used to sharpen that axe daily. 89Hen was always chipping in on that one.xthumbsupx

Lots of beer since way back then!!!! I didn't have too many brain cells back then, and the few I still have left are feuding!!!!

clenz
August 28th, 2017, 03:36 PM
As of like 2014 the midpoint of the FCS was like 17 miles as the bird flies SE of Louisville in some national park.

That was a fun midpoint project. :pumpuke:

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 03:55 PM
As of like 2014 the midpoint of the FCS was like 17 miles as the bird flies SE of Louisville in some national park.

That was a fun midpoint project. :pumpuke:

The game could be played in a random field next to a rack house on the property of the Jim Beam Distillery...I could go for that!!!!

PAllen
August 28th, 2017, 03:56 PM

A few years ago somebody on here found the geographical center of FCS at the time. GSU, ASU, WKU and a few others were still around, but it worked out to be within 20 miles or less of Western Kentucky.

clenz
August 28th, 2017, 04:18 PM
A few years ago somebody on here found the geographical center of FCS at the time. GSU, ASU, WKU and a few others were still around, but it worked out to be within 20 miles or less of Western Kentucky.
There may have one before I did it, but I did it in about 2013.

For teams as of today here's the mid point. It hasn't, and won't shift from being able to be called "Louisville" without some major shifting happening.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/rjwYqiOJQU6_blrzOAmduA.png

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Just have everyone bring a folding chair to field in Loretto and we will all drink Maker's. Best NC EVER!!!!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Bowling Green was the closest so you are right on with that one.

clenz
August 28th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Earlier this year I did a breakdown of potential sites actually in the middle of the FCS world.

Louisivlle is the closest, but that stadium is about to be 75,000 people
WKU is the most central and properly sized.
Just feels gross to a play a title game in the stadium of another D1 member.

GodHelpTheBears
August 28th, 2017, 04:34 PM
The yawning chasm west of us is killing us. If we had a rival, it would come from that empty region.

Hammerhead
August 28th, 2017, 04:36 PM
There is also a map at the following site which says it was last updated in 2014
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-team-map/

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Earlier this year I did a breakdown of potential sites actually in the middle of the FCS world.

Louisivlle is the closest, but that stadium is about to be 75,000 people
WKU is the most central and properly sized.
Just feels gross to a play a title game in the stadium of another D1 member.

Why? Bowl games are so why is this defferent?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2017, 04:51 PM
There is also a map at the following site which says it was last updated in 2014
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-team-map/

The guys that own that site are dicks, don't go there!

CHIP72
August 28th, 2017, 04:55 PM
The map I like to use shows college football teams across all NCAA divisions. I think it was last updated in 2015:

http://ncaasavant.com/apps/map.php

(You can select by division if you want.)

AshevilleApp2
August 28th, 2017, 05:00 PM
The guys that own that site are dicks, don't go there!

xlolx xnodx

ST_Lawson
August 28th, 2017, 05:26 PM
The yawning chasm west of us is killing us. If we had a rival, it would come from that empty region.

You need to convince those monkeys over in Pittsburgh to make the move up to FCS.

GodHelpTheBears
August 28th, 2017, 05:32 PM
You need to convince those monkeys over in Pittsburgh to make the move up to FCS.

If it weren't for the damn Dayton Rule our football team would be in their conference, where it should be.

clenz
August 29th, 2017, 07:13 AM
If it weren't for the damn Dayton Rule our football team would be in their conference, where it should be.
MSU was playing D1 ball before the Dayton rule was made a thing....

Hell, they made the playoffs before the Dayton Rule.

I'm going to assume schools like Buter, Dayton, Drake Evansville and Valpo no longer being allowed to play D3 ball and have to play D1 ball with no scholarships has done anything to impact MSU