View Full Version : Hero Sports Previews The OVC

SU DOG
August 17th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Multiple Playoff Teams?

http://herosports.com/fcs/ohio-valley-conference-football-2017-preview-jacksonville-state-ajaj

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2017, 09:39 PM
We should have had UTM in the field last year. If TSU can live up to expectations for once I think they could surprise some people. UTM has been solid the past couple years but I about spit out my drink when they called them a "good defensive team". What UTM are they watching?

UTM is the Samford of the OVC.

SU DOG
August 17th, 2017, 10:56 PM
If you're talking about THIS year's Samford Team, then yes, UTM will be good defensively.

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2017, 11:27 PM
If you're talking about THIS year's Samford Team, then yes, UTM will be good defensively.
I'll believe it when I see it.

We should be able to gauge UTM pretty quickly when they play UTC in week 3.

SU DOG
August 17th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Fair enough, but, according to this, UTM does have some good defensive stats from last year;

http://www.utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=9793&sport=football

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Those numbers are meh especially when you consider the conference. The only team with a chance of holding a candle to our defense this year is Tennessee State.

UTM will finish with a winning record, but not because of the defense.

Cocky
August 18th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Never understood how another school hasnt wooed Simpson away.

smallcollegefbfan
August 18th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Multiple Playoff Teams?

http://herosports.com/fcs/ohio-valley-conference-football-2017-preview-jacksonville-state-ajaj

I'm not picking on Brian because he works hard for HERO Sports but the area where he talks about NFL Draft prospects shows what is heavily wrong with the media in terms of draft coverage. First off, he says that the TSU DE is rated #11 among DEs for the draft. There is no official rating that the NFL has. All 32 teams have different boards and those are the only boards that matter. Second, he should have attributed what website it was and maybe tell the accuracy of that website if you want to use it as an official media gauge. There are a ton of draft websites but only a few who are legit. Third, he did not mention the issues that Ebenezer has had and that while he is probably going to the NFL Combine I doubt he will get drafted because of off field concerns.

smallcollegefbfan
August 18th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Conf.

Pos
First Name
Last Name
School

Big Sky
SS
Cole
Reyes
North Dakota

Big South
DE
Anthony
Ellis
Charleston Southern

SS
Mike
Basile
Monmouth (NJ)

CAA
OT
Timon
Parris
Stony Brook

Ivy League
WR
Justin
Watson
Penn

MEAC
OT
Brandon
Parker
North Carolina A&T

OLB
Darius
Leonard
South Carolina State

MVFC

TE
Dallas
Goedert
South Dakota State

NEC

WR
John
Williams
Wagner

OVC

DE
Ebenezer
Ogundeko
Tennessee State

WR
Patrick
Smith
Tennessee State

RB
Roc
Thomas
Jacksonville State

Patriot League

RB
Chase
Edmonds
Fordham

Pioneer League

TE
Ross
Dwelley
San Diego

SoCon

CB
Omari
Williams
Samford

Southland

CB
Chris
Boutte
Nicholls State

DE
Sione
Teuhema
Southeastern Louisiana

SWAC

QB
Devante
Kincade
Grambling State

There are who I would put as the top prospect in each conference right now. The leagues like the OVC and SLC where I put more than one is due to the fact there is either an off field issue holding a player back like for Ebenezer or I put the same grade on two players and decided to put both.

In the SLC for example, I have a low PFA on Hall and Briscoe but have the Nicholls CB and SLU LB as high PFAs. As for the MEAC, I would have Leonard alone as top guy if I knew exactly what he is weighing and runs in the 40. He and Parker both are real good prospects who should at least be PFAs.

In terms of grades the prospects listed from the MVFC, SWAC, Patriot League, Pioneer League, and SoCon had the highest grade by far in their leagues based on what I saw in 2016.