PDA

View Full Version : MVFC and Big Sky Announce Challenge Series

IBleedYellow
August 15th, 2017, 11:55 AM
http://www.valley-football.org/news/2017/8/14/football-mvfc-big-sky-announce-challenge-series.aspx

Super confused here...it doesn't seem anything is on the line or anything new is going on.

It looks like a "Hey look our conferences play each other a lot!!" type post.

ST_Lawson
August 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Right, could be interesting if they do something with it, but they didn't mention anything specific. Could be they want to use this to help make sure the scheduling trend continues. Maybe have some recognition or something for the winning conference each year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
August 15th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Right, could be interesting if they do something with it, but they didn't mention anything specific. Could be they want to use this to help make sure the scheduling trend continues. Maybe have some recognition or something for the winning conference each year?

Legit I have no idea, but they made a logo for it!

Bisonator
August 15th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Time for another Bison/Griz series!xnodx

clenz
August 15th, 2017, 12:09 PM
This isn't a challenge. This is a "our teams play a lot so let's call attention to it".

The conferences didn't schedule these games. They conferences didn't set aside dates. There are MVFC teams that have never played a Big Sky team.

A true challenge is the two conferences setting up dates and scheduling games and putting "trophy" on the line.

See the ACC/B10 or MVC/MWC challenges in basketball.

This is the conferences taking credit for the work the ADs have done.

IBleedYellow
August 15th, 2017, 12:10 PM
This isn't a challenge. This is a "our teams play a lot so let's call attention to it".

The conferences didn't schedule these games. They conferences didn't set aside dates. There are MVFC teams that have never played a Big Sky team.

A true challenge is the two conferences setting up dates and scheduling games and putting "trophy" on the line.

That's my take on this too.

Just Patty V doing Patty V things.

Grizalltheway
August 15th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Time for another Bison/Griz series!xnodx
Wouldn't mind seeing a H&H with SDSU either.

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Yeah, it's kind of silly to call it "The MVFC/Big Sky Challenge" because it's equated to those basketball series which it doesn't appear it is anything close to. From an NDSU sceduling perspective I hope it doesn't become what those basketball series are. I don't like it for the same reason that I wasn't a fan of NDSU potentially being forced to play UND every year OOC, that is that it really hamstrings the scheduling in years that you're forced to play a road OOC game if you want to maintain 6 regular season home games per year.

Maybe they could do this more formally using the basketball series model only in years where there are 12 regular season games allowed in the FCS?

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Big Sky vs. Patriot...now that would be a story. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
August 15th, 2017, 12:40 PM
i think this has some potential for promotional stuff, tracking results and creating good OOC rivalries .. this should cause more viewership, followers, chatter, and possibly attendance for these games. Now if it gets lopsided, this could backfire. I tend to think this year will swing MVFC direction. But all ships tend to rise with stuff like this.

We might have to give up arrangement with EIU to play OOC game every year. Big 10 seems to be cracking on FCS ban, so we might get those games back. Plus we still like our patsy OOC game.

WestCoastAggie
August 15th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it's kind of silly to call it "The MVFC/Big Sky Challenge" because it's equated to those basketball series which it doesn't appear it is anything close to. From an NDSU sceduling perspective I hope it doesn't become what those basketball series are. I don't like it for the same reason that I wasn't a fan of NDSU potentially being forced to play UND every year OOC, that is that it really hamstrings the scheduling in years that you're forced to play a road OOC game if you want to maintain 6 regular season home games per year.

Maybe they could do this more formally using the basketball series model only in years where there are 12 regular season games allowed in the FCS?

It sure beats having to play Miss. Valley though? Right?

BadlandsGrizFan
August 15th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I only see positives with this really.

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM
It sure beats having to play Miss. Valley though? Right?
I'd rather have NDSU play MVSU for the 6th home game than a 6th road game at Northern Arizona or Portland St.

clenz
August 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I only see positives with this really.
With what though?

There is literally nothing happening other than the conferences going "GIVE US CREDIT FOR THIS CHALLENGE WE CREATED!.......just ignore we had nothing to do with these games and it's the ADs who did all the work to make them happen"

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2017, 01:27 PM

That would be great.

Evolution Prime
August 15th, 2017, 01:37 PM

As long as Marc Mariani is no longer there in any fashion, I'm good with that.

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2017, 01:43 PM
No buyouts? Free lunch?

Silenoz
August 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I want us to retire from playing SDSU and UNI forever so they never get that sweet sweet payback that continues to elude them xlolx

Bisonator
August 15th, 2017, 02:36 PM
No buyouts? Free lunch?

Welp count out Montana State......FTC! xlolx

Grizalltheway
August 15th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I want us to retire from playing SDSU and UNI forever so they never get that sweet sweet payback that continues to elude them xlolx

Hmm, that is an intriguing proposition...xlolx

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Heeere kitty kitty....... xlolx

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2017, 03:47 PM

Heeere kitty kitty....... xlolx
Well, you know "no means no" at Montana State.

....or at least I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88B_RJUtL3c). ;)

ST_Lawson
August 15th, 2017, 04:06 PM
We might have to give up arrangement with EIU to play OOC game every year. Big 10 seems to be cracking on FCS ban, so we might get those games back. Plus we still like our patsy OOC game.

Yea, Purdue just scheduled ISUb for 2022, I think, so maybe we'll start to see a few more come through in the near future.

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2017, 04:14 PM

....or at least I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88B_RJUtL3c). ;)

CCCCCCC A T SSSSSS. xlolx. Bobcats!

cx500d
August 15th, 2017, 05:09 PM

Maybe we could do like the airlines and over-schedule. We schedule a home against Montana State, knowing they will cancel and buy us out, at the same time scheduling someone else.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2017, 06:08 PM

We could play 20 times and beat you by 50 every year and still not really have payback.

Grizalltheway
August 15th, 2017, 07:03 PM
We could play 20 times and beat you by 50 every year and still not really have payback.

50, that's how many you lead by at half, right?xlolx

JayJ79
August 15th, 2017, 08:20 PM
An article spinning/promoting the "rivalry" between the two conferences (or at least the frequent scheduling).
Doesn't really hurt anything, and may build some excitement. who knows.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2017, 08:30 PM
50, that's how many you lead by at half, right?xlolx

We would probably have to lead by 100 at half to win by 50 xcoffeex

It would be kinda nice to get the Griz in Brookings for once though.....

Bisonoline
August 15th, 2017, 09:19 PM
http://www.valley-football.org/news/2017/8/14/football-mvfc-big-sky-announce-challenge-series.aspx

Super confused here...it doesn't seem anything is on the line or anything new is going on.

It looks like a "Hey look our conferences play each other a lot!!" type post.

xcoffeex

Grizalltheway
August 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
We would probably have to lead by 100 at half to win by 50 xcoffeex

It would be kinda nice to get the Griz in Brookings for once though.....

Well you tried being down by 24 and it almost worked out.:D

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Well you tried being down by 24 and it almost worked out.:D

You're an evil, evil person.

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2017, 10:59 PM
You're an evil, evil person.

Could be worse. You could blow a 24-2 halftime lead over a D2 team. :D

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Well 5 games last weekend and the MVFC leads it 4-1

North Dakota State over Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa over Cal Poly
South Dakota State over Montana State
Western Illinois over Northern Arizona
North Dakota over Missouri State

Interesting that the one Big Sky win is a team that has announced they are leaving the Big Sky for the MVFC and are ineligible for the Big Sky crown.

2 games this weekend
North Dakota at South Dakota
Northern Iowa at Southern Utah

1 game in October
Illinois State at Northern Arizona

I think the MVFC goes 2-1 in those games and the series finishes 6-2 in favor of the MVFC.

Hambone
September 11th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Interesting that the one Big Sky win is a team that has announced they are leaving the Big Sky for the MVFC and are ineligible for the Big Sky crown.

2 games this weekend

1 game in October

I think the MVFC goes 2-1 in those games and the series finishes 6-2 in favor of the MVFC.

Yeah, I think you're correct on how the series will finish for the year. I think the UND/USD game will be a fantastic game, and Southern Utah could surprise UNI (SUU seems a little Jeckyl and Hyde).

Thundar
September 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I think you're correct on how the series will finish for the year. I think the UND/USD game will be a fantastic game, and Southern Utah could surprise UNI (SUU seems a little Jeckyl and Hyde).

uni is the same....bi polar

bobcathpdevil56
September 11th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I am hoping to continue this sort of week 2 matchups between the MVFC and Big Sky. It is a great way for both of us to get quality FCS wins that will help seeding and playoff teams. I would like it to continue.

Edited: If the Big Sky can get a few wins against MVFC teamsxthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Could be worse. You could blow a 24-2 halftime lead over a D2 team. :D
Or you could be in line for the biggest upset of the year and hand the other team a free 20 points. xcoffeex

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 12:12 PM
uni is the same....bi polar
Not exactly sure what's been bipolar about UNI this year so far.

Through 2 games Eli Dunne is leading the conference in completions, attempts, yards, TDs, yards per game and tied for 3rd in completion % at 62. The run game isn't perfect but it's been enough to keep the secondary honest against what Dunne is doing. He's already matched/passed Bailey's numbers from 7 games last year. In 7 games as the starter - 5 of those were last year in an offense that was being made up on the fly for him - Dunne is 143-227 (63%) 1,759 yards 14 TD downside is 12 INT. That needs to get cleaned up, but 9 of those came from last years NDSU game, where he was concussed and was just a bit off on the throws, SDSU, where one was actually a fumble and called an INT...same result..., and this years Iowa State game where 2 of them hit the WR in the hand and they didn't catch it and it popped to the DB. That'll get cleaned up.

Take those numbers extrapolated over a full season and his line probably looks something like 231-352 2,900 yards 21 TD and 10 INT. That's a top 3-4 QB in the league. That'll make a world of difference for UNI compared to the last few years.

The defense needs to sure itself in the secondary. The Poly game was bad, but I'm thinking that was a scheme thing that our young guys didn't adjust out of and made the issue worse. We started 2 seniors at corner and JR and a true sophomore in at the safety spots.

On defense played 9 freshman - 2 true and 7 redshirt - on Saturday

DB Suni Lane - true freshman
DB Isaiah Nimmers - rs freshman
DB Austin Evans - rs freshman
DB Jamahl Scott - rs freshman
DB Korby Sander - rs freshman
LB Jake Hartford - rs freshman - actually looked really damn good
LB Alfonzo Lambert II - rs freshman - started and has looked real good through two games
DL Jared Brinkman - true freshman - had his RS burned after not playing against ISU. He wasn't a RS kid anyway
DL Brawntae Wells - rs freshman

Hartford and Lambert will be All American's before they graduate from UNI. They are really....really...impressive to watch cover the field. Lambert is 3rd on the team in tackles I believe.

Poly's TDs came on, what looked like, broken coverages. I think the plan was a zone defense with man to man principles against Poly. The corners would take the WRs like man but break off and pass the guy off to the safety when the run was going the other way to flow from the backside. It looked like the safeties got sucked into the run fake as well, giving the CP WR a step or two on him. Playing 5 freshman and a true sophomore in the backfield will create some issues against that. I'm thinking against teams where there isn't the triple option look it will be better. SUU is a hell of a test for that though.

dmksioux
September 11th, 2017, 12:24 PM

2 games this weekend

1 game in October

One slight correction. UND is still in the Big Sky this year and eligible to win the conference. It's the next to years we are an "independent" but play a Big Sky Schedule.

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2017, 12:32 PM
One slight correction. UND is still in the Big Sky this year and eligible to win the conference. It's the next to years we are an "independent" but play a Big Sky Schedule.

Goddamnit clenz xsmhx

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Goddamnit clenz xsmhx

Mistakes were made

Like the MVFC letting UND in.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Mistakes were made

Panthers entire defensive game plan last week. It happens.

Bisonator
September 11th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Not exactly sure what's been bipolar about UNI this year so far.

Through 2 games Eli Dunne is leading the conference in completions, attempts, yards, TDs, yards per game and tied for 3rd in completion % at 62. The run game isn't perfect but it's been enough to keep the secondary honest against what Dunne is doing. He's already matched/passed Bailey's numbers from 7 games last year. In 7 games as the starter - 5 of those were last year in an offense that was being made up on the fly for him - Dunne is 143-227 (63%) 1,759 yards 14 TD downside is 12 INT. That needs to get cleaned up, but 9 of those came from last years NDSU game, where he was concussed and was just a bit off on the throws, SDSU, where one was actually a fumble and called an INT...same result..., and this years Iowa State game where 2 of them hit the WR in the hand and they didn't catch it and it popped to the DB. That'll get cleaned up.

Take those numbers extrapolated over a full season and his line probably looks something like 231-352 2,900 yards 21 TD and 10 INT. That's a top 3-4 QB in the league. That'll make a world of difference for UNI compared to the last few years.

The defense needs to sure itself in the secondary. The Poly game was bad, but I'm thinking that was a scheme thing that our young guys didn't adjust out of and made the issue worse. We started 2 seniors at corner and JR and a true sophomore in at the safety spots.

On defense played 9 freshman - 2 true and 7 redshirt - on Saturday

DB Suni Lane - true freshman
DB Isaiah Nimmers - rs freshman
DB Austin Evans - rs freshman
DB Jamahl Scott - rs freshman
DB Korby Sander - rs freshman
LB Jake Hartford - rs freshman - actually looked really damn good
LB Alfonzo Lambert II - rs freshman - started and has looked real good through two games
DL Jared Brinkman - true freshman - had his RS burned after not playing against ISU. He wasn't a RS kid anyway
DL Brawntae Wells - rs freshman

Hartford and Lambert will be All American's before they graduate from UNI. They are really....really...impressive to watch cover the field. Lambert is 3rd on the team in tackles I believe.

Poly's TDs came on, what looked like, broken coverages. I think the plan was a zone defense with man to man principles against Poly. The corners would take the WRs like man but break off and pass the guy off to the safety when the run was going the other way to flow from the backside. It looked like the safeties got sucked into the run fake as well, giving the CP WR a step or two on him. Playing 5 freshman and a true sophomore in the backfield will create some issues against that. I'm thinking against teams where there isn't the triple option look it will be better. SUU is a hell of a test for that though.
Might wanna change your signature line. Just sayin.....xlolx

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Panthers entire defensive game plan last week. It happens.
Won the game.

If ever there was a team that knew about knowing what it's like to watch a bad defense - it's a Big Sky team.

Difference in the mistakes - UNI can fix theirs by next week. Sadly the entire MVFC is stuck with the other.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2017, 02:59 PM

And starts in Brookings. 3 unreturned trips (2 regular season + 1 playoff) in Missoula since D-I.

SDSU has done a lot of games with their former GWFC mates post GWFC days.

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 03:11 PM
And starts in Brookings. 3 unreturned trips (2 regular season + 1 playoff) in Missoula since D-I.

SDSU has done a lot of games with their former GWFC mates post GWFC days.
Getting Montana outside of Missoula is tough. UNI got one, will never get another.

It doesn't make sense for them to leave Missoula outside of an FBS game.

It'd be like 98% of the FCS trying to get SDSU, NDSU, etc. on the road. Why? You'll make more with a home game.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Won the game.

If ever there was a team that knew about knowing what it's like to watch a bad defense - it's a Big Sky team.

Difference in the mistakes - UNI can fix theirs by next week. Sadly the entire MVFC is stuck with the other.

MVFC defenses looked really salty this weekend, no doubt.

Big Sky defenses are so soft, I know.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2017, 03:21 PM
The Big Sky does have the opportunity to catchup some and they really do need to, to start showing this conference has some life yet.

Southern Utah and UND blew up last week. SUU gets UNI at home and traveling to Brookings isn't going to be a tiring road trip for the Hawkeys. Probably see some green down there as well.

Northern Arizona has been disappointing but at home and a long trip for the Redbirds could be enough to pull it out.

Looking at the Big Sky conference. I'm only counting 5 D1 wins as a conference as a whole. 13 teams, 2 weeks in. The best two wins are probably Missouri State and Stephen F Austin.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2017, 03:28 PM
The Big Sky does have the opportunity to catchup some and they really do need to, to start showing this conference has some life yet.

Southern Utah and UND blew up last week. SUU gets UNI at home and traveling to Brookings isn't going to be a tiring road trip for the Hawkeys. Probably see some green down there as well.

Northern Arizona has been disappointing but at home and a long trip for the Redbirds could be enough to pull it out.

Looking at the Big Sky conference. I'm only counting 5 D1 wins as a conference as a whole. 13 teams, 2 weeks in. The best two wins are probably Missouri State and Stephen F Austin.

Big Sky is down again, no doubt. When Butler got hurt for NAU in 1st quarter that pretty much ended any chance they had at winning, he is the real deal at WR. Then, they got worked up front all game. WIU was just better.

UND will not be stopping in Brookings on the way down, maybe Watertown for a bite. They will be going to Vermillion, however. :D

Will be interesting to see what town they have to stay in this year......

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Big Sky is down again, no doubt. When Butler got hurt for NAU in 1st quarter that pretty much ended any chance they had at winning, he is the real deal at WR. Then, they got worked up front all game. WIU was just better.

UND will not be stopping in Brookings on the way down, maybe Watertown for a bite. They will be going to Vermillion, however. :D

Will be interesting to see what town they have to stay in this year......
Last year for the USD game NDSU went down early to avoid a potential snowstorm and stayed in Sioux Falls and the reason for that IIRC was because Vermillion didn't have a hotel with a conference room big enough to handle the whole team. I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up.

I'm also fairly sure UNI stays in Sioux City when they play at USD.

F'N Hawks
September 11th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Last year for the USD game NDSU went down early to avoid a potential snowstorm and stayed in Sioux Falls and the reason for that IIRC was because Vermillion didn't have a hotel with a conference room big enough to handle the whole team. I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up.

That's why I bring it up periodically. I believe UND stayed in Yankton in the past to get a hotel with the right amenities. If you can believe that. Lol.

UNDColorado
September 11th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Wow this made me curious so I googled the population of Vermillion and as of 2016 it says 10,844. I knew it wasn't big but I would have never guessed it was that small. Is this one of those situations where they are only counting the actual city limits but a lot of people live just outside of the limits?

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Wow this made me curious so I googled the population of Vermillion and as of 2016 it says 10,844. I knew it wasn't big but I would have never guessed it was that small. Is this one of those situations where they are only counting the actual city limits but a lot of people live just outside of the limits?

No. Vermillion sucks. Not because of its size, but it sucks. And is that small.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2017, 03:53 PM

No. I think they are counting pets and chickens. :D

Yotes21
September 11th, 2017, 03:53 PM
No, Verm is small and needs another hotel badly. Thumper hates Verm but has said that he has never been there so take that with a grain of salt.

UNDColorado
September 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Haha solid responses!

- - - Updated - - -

No, Verm is small and needs another hotel badly. Thumper hates Verm but has said that he has never been there so take that with a grain of salt.

xthumbsupx Thanks!

GodHelpTheBears
September 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
I was under the impression that 10,000 is a fairly large population for that region. I didn't know there was enough walrus blubber to feed that many.

Yotes21
September 11th, 2017, 03:59 PM
I was under the impression that 10,000 is a fairly large population for that region

South Dakota is not very populated. There are only 2 cities above 30k residents and Verm is #11 in the state. Which is the way I like it, less idiots to deal with.

Catbooster
September 11th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I think it may be early to write off the Big Sky for the year. The teams people are used to thinking of as the top of the conference seem to be down, but others may be ready to step up and take their place this year. Any time that happens there is a delay as people wonder whether this new team is legit or not.

If the Grizzlies had Portland State's or SUU's results so far, I have no doubt they'd be solidly in the poll (they're getting votes as it is). If EWU had Weber's record they'd still be highly ranked. Even my Bobcats, who have had moderate success in fairly recent history, will need to prove they are deserving before they get ranked after having 2 losing seasons.

I don't think the Big Sky is the strongest conference or anything like that. I'm just saying that I'm not so sure the Big Sky is continuing to decline, and may have begun to recover.

Catbooster
September 11th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Oops, double post

clenz
September 11th, 2017, 04:04 PM

UNI does stay in Sioux City

POD Knows
September 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I was under the impression that 10,000 is a fairly large population for that region. I didn't know there was enough walrus blubber to feed that many.We resort to cannabalism in the winter time when the weather gets bad. Keeps the riff raff population down.

GodHelpTheBears
September 11th, 2017, 04:07 PM
We resort to cannabalism in the winter time when the weather gets bad. Keeps the riff raff population down.

Having never been there, I imagine the region as a harsh, wind swept tundra enforcing a diet of tinned fish, walrus blubber and imported cereal grains from Nebraska.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2017, 04:09 PM
South Dakota is not very populated. There are only 2 cities above 30k residents and Verm is #11 in the state. Which is the way I like it, less idiots to deal with.
I always thought it was kind of odd that SD has 100k+ more residents than ND but the third largest city in SD (Aberdeen) would be the 6th largest city in ND. SD has a lot more towns in the 2-15k range than ND does. Pretty sure ND's 11th biggest city would be about in the 2k range.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Having never been there, I imagine the region as a harsh, wind swept tundra enforcing a diet of tinned fish, walrus blubber and imported cereal grains from Nebraska.

We grow our own cereal grains, GD it. F Nebraska. xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I think it may be early to write off the Big Sky for the year. The teams people are used to thinking of as the top of the conference seem to be down, but others may be ready to step up and take their place this year. Any time that happens there is a delay as people wonder whether this new team is legit or not.

If the Grizzlies had Portland State's or SUU's results so far, I have no doubt they'd be solidly in the poll (they're getting votes as it is). If EWU had Weber's record they'd still be highly ranked. Even my Bobcats, who have had moderate success in fairly recent history, will need to prove they are deserving before they get ranked after having 2 losing seasons.

I don't think the Big Sky is the strongest conference or anything like that. I'm just saying that I'm not so sure the Big Sky is continuing to decline, and may have begun to recover.

Bobcats were a heck of a game for the Jacks. But at the end of the day Montana St is 0-2, and facing UND next. Likewise, EWU is 0-2, NAU is 0-2, and Cal Poly is 0-3. There aren't going to be many seeded teams out of the Big Sky, unless someone goes undefeated in conference play. If there are 4 BSC teams with a 6-2 conference record, and no quality wins (OOC teams outside of BSC competing for the same non-AQ slots), they won't win many. Will the EWU win by NDSU stand up as a "good" win come selection time?

UND, especially if win in Vermillion, will be on the inside track out of the Big Sky, due to 2 MVFC wins.
SUU has a shot, especially if can get the W on UNI.

Yote 53
September 11th, 2017, 04:24 PM
So when teams play at USD they stay in Sioux City or Sioux Falls or Yankton, so what? They are all within easy driving distance, 20-40 minutes. Think of it this way, if you plopped the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area into SE South Dakota it would stretch almost all the way from Sioux Falls to Sioux City. Just think of it as staying at a hotel in the suburbs but you don't have to deal with the traffic on 169, 494, 35 E or 35W. A nice easy drive in and out.

Too much gets made about the size of Vermillion. It's a small college town in between two cities with airports that are an easy drive down the interstate. Like anybody from Brookings should talk, 22,000 population is not that much different in the grand scheme. It's a small college town, just like Vermillion.

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Getting Montana outside of Missoula is tough. UNI got one, will never get another.

It'd be like 98% of the FCS trying to get SDSU, NDSU, etc. on the road. Why? You'll make more with a home game.

At this point, they're scheduled to play at Western next year. We return the H&H in 2021: http://www.gogriz.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=110&path=football

BisonBacker
September 11th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Mistakes were made

Amen to that!

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2017, 04:28 PM
South Dakota really effed up not putting a major state university in Rapid City... now that would be fun road trip. I wouldn't mind raiding the casinos in Deadwood every other year. :)

Silenoz
September 11th, 2017, 04:29 PM

Liberty, App State, McNeese (cancelled), South Dakota, UNI, WIU, and NDSU?

Haslam is more than willing to do home-and-homes with any power FCS teams

GodHelpTheBears
September 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM
So when teams play at USD they stay in Sioux City or Sioux Falls or Yankton, so what? They are all within easy driving distance, 20-40 minutes. Think of it this way, if you plopped the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area into SE South Dakota it would stretch almost all the way from Sioux Falls to Sioux City. Just think of it as staying at a hotel in the suburbs but you don't have to deal with the traffic on 169, 494, 35 E or 35W. A nice easy drive in and out.

Too much gets made about the size of Vermillion. It's a small college town in between two cities with airports that are an easy drive down the interstate. Like anybody from Brookings should talk, 22,000 population is not that much different in the grand scheme. It's a small college town, just like Vermillion.

There are plenty of Ozarks towns with around 10,000 people. Some of them are even habitable for outsiders!

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM
We resort to cannabalism in the winter time when the weather gets bad. Keeps the riff raff population down. Definitely no homeless in SD in the winter! It may be in the South, but that's of Dakota.

IBleedYellow
September 11th, 2017, 04:34 PM

NDSU normally tries to stay out of the metro of schools when we travel. Like last year - didn't stay in Iowa City...or Ames in 2015 with Iowa State. Never stay in Brookings, etc.

That's...normal, I thought?

POD Knows
September 11th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Definitely no homeless in SD in the winter! It may be in the South, but that's of Dakota.The Fargo homeless stick around all year. They are tough, drunk mother****ers

Yote 53
September 11th, 2017, 04:41 PM
South Dakota really effed up not putting a major state university in Rapid City... now that would be fun road trip. I wouldn't mind raiding the casinos in Deadwood every other year. :)

Umm, South Dakota School of Mines (Tech)?

POD Knows
September 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Umm, South Dakota School of Mines (Tech)?are they any good at football, maybe the BSC could offer them an invite to improve their conference strength

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I think most teams that fly to our place stay in Peoria overnight (about 90 minutes away). UNI I think stays in the Quad Cities (a little further than Peoria, but right in between Cedar Falls and Macomb). I wonder if Illinois State just makes the whole drive over in the morning or something.

abc123
September 11th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Liberty, App State, McNeese (cancelled), South Dakota, UNI, WIU, and NDSU?

Haslam is more than willing to do home-and-homes with any power FCS teams
UND already has a home and home set up with them for 2024/2025.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Umm, South Dakota School of Mines (Tech)?
Come on... comparing SD Mines to USD and SDSU is like comparing Minot State to NDSU and UND.

cx500d
September 11th, 2017, 07:35 PM

I remember staying in Vermillion when we had to go to USD....It was like a Days Inn, or Thrifty Scot, or something worse....

cx500d
September 11th, 2017, 07:36 PM

Rapid City would rather have a prison than USD. At least the convicts stay where they belong.

SDFS
September 11th, 2017, 10:15 PM

Best school in the state is in Rapid City - SDSM&T - Hardrockers!!

SDFS
September 11th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Come on... comparing SD Mines to USD and SDSU is like comparing Minot State to NDSU and UND.

ahhhhh - NO! Not even close.

BisonFan02
September 11th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Best school in the state is in Rapid City - SDSM&T - Hardrockers!!

By far best nickname. They can lick the nutsack of my Jamestown Jimmies though. xlolx

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Actually, I've never said I haven't been there. Nice try though. I've been there several times. I've said I haven't been there for D Days. Pretty big difference. Keep making **** up though xlolx

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Haha solid responses!

- - - Updated - - -

xthumbsupx Thanks!

He's incorrect, again. I've been there. Many times. It's a dump. And that's from a guy who had many years selling to homeowners, it didn't have near the high end market we were going for compared to a Brookings, Yankton, Tea, etc. For comparison, when we focused on selling to the areas I mentioned we would focus on them for a week or so, Verm we would do for a day, maybe two max.

cx500d
September 12th, 2017, 04:57 AM
By far best nickname. They can lick the nutsack of my Jamestown Jimmies though. xlolx

Do you have a Jimmie Hat?

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM
ahhhhh - NO! Not even close.
I guess you don't think very highly of SDSU and USD then. So be it.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Won the game.

clenz .. very curious how you feel about play calling so far. I tend to think this fresh start with new coaches and QB Dunne may be just what your bi-polar offense needed. Maybe Farley can change his stripes ???

clenz
September 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM
clenz .. very curious how you feel about play calling so far. I tend to think this fresh start with new coaches and QB Dunne may be just what your bi-polar offense needed. Maybe Farley can change his stripes ???
This is exactly the offense UNI fans have been calling for since 2010. The run game needs to get better by about a yard average, but that can/will come I think. So far the fans are being proven right.

Compare Dunne's 7 game stats
143-227 (63%) 1,759 yards 14 TD downside

to 24 games with Carnes (13-14)
134-280 (47%) 1,646 yards 8TD

to 20 games with Bailey (15-16)
191-356 (53%) 2,538 yards 19 TD

So in 44 games between 2013-2016
325-636 (51%) 4,184 yards 27 TDs

Taking just the numbers from Dunne's first 7 games (and we know he'll get better as time goes on but oh well) and taking that out over 44 games
900-1427 11,056 yards 88TDs (and that's at Dunnes current 252 ypg average. I think he'll average closer to 300 this year than 250...currently at 292)

Strange hypothetical that's tough to truly call accurate but the point is made. If you don't think Dunne wouldn't have made a huge difference in 2015 and the first half of 2016 you're nuts.

Hopefully Farley sticks with this offense long term. It will make a world of difference in this program. Us fans have long claimed a good QB and we win a title in the last 7 years with this defense. Now it might be too late given we are playing 9 freshman on defense this year.

For reference current MVC records that would've put him up with
Career completion % - 5th right behind Wentz and a head of Matt Brown
Career completions - 2nd Matt Brown is first at 927, Austin Sumner is currently 2nd at 737
Career yards - 1st - curernt record is 10,591 by Matt Brown. Only QB in conference history over 9,450
Career TDs - 1st - current record is 78 by Matt Brown

This wouldn't be that strange for UNI, really. Go look at the record books for QBs and WRs. The top 10s are littered with UNI QBs and WRs from 1995-2000. Ryan Helming is one of the most prolific QBs in MVFC history. Mike Furry, Dedric Ward, Eddie Berlin are all over the top 10-15 in every single career and single game record for WRs. UNI has 2 of the top 4 QBs in career passing yards - Ryan Helming at 9,048 and Eric Sanders at 9,012. Helming played 1997-1999. Sanders was 05-07. Dedric ward was 93-96, Berlin and Furrey were 97-00

Hell, Sawyer set every freshman passing record in the MVFC in 2012-15. His numbers, had he been healthy/not benched for Carnes and Bailey would be top 5-10 in every category. Imagine a UNI offense with Kollmorgen 2012-2015 and Dunne 16-18.

Dammit, now I'm depressed.

More to your question - was very nervous about all of the new coaches for a couple reasons.
1. Farley is notoriously hard to work for
2. Farley controls everything, even the offense
3. The coaches all came from programs that aren't very good/are very young and I didn't know how/if they'd be able to translate coming from losing programs.

QB coach has bounced around ISUr when they weren't good, NIU, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, UTMartin, etc... All programs that didn't really produce a ton when he was there in terms of wins. NIU and UTM had QB's but up numbers but I, probably wrongly, dismissed that as being in the MAC in the early 00s and the OVC.

OL coach comes from EIU via North Texas. His lines produced players with big numbers but again, Sun Belt and OVC cometition

WR coach is like 27. He's coaches at UC Davis - not exactly a passing hotbed and Stonehill College as the special teams coordinator.

I saw through social media, and people ITK, that the new staff brought levels of energy and excitement this offense hasn't seen in a long time. Players were excited to practice. They went harder. I wasn't sure that would translate over, to be honest. It was a good gimmick in the spring, but no way Farley let that fly in the fall.

Sure enough Farley is letting the assistants do what they want/need. The energy is still high. Players are excited. Dunne looks better than before. The WRs are better in their routes/catching. The OL still needs to develop run blocking in this scheme but is actually physical - compared to how soft they've been.

Who knows how long it lasts, but it seems to be turning the right way for now.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2017, 11:02 AM
This is exactly the offense UNI fans have been calling for since 2010. The run game needs to get better by about a yard average, but that can/will come I think. So far the fans are being proven right.

Compare Dunne's 7 game stats
143-227 (63%) 1,759 yards 14 TD downside

to 24 games with Carnes (13-14)
134-280 (47%) 1,646 yards 8TD

to 20 games with Bailey (15-16)
191-356 (53%) 2,538 yards 19 TD

So in 44 games between 2013-2016
325-636 (51%) 4,184 yards 27 TDs

Taking just the numbers from Dunne's first 7 games (and we know he'll get better as time goes on but oh well) and taking that out over 44 games
900-1427 11,056 yards 88TDs (and that's at Dunnes current 252 ypg average. I think he'll average closer to 300 this year than 250...currently at 292)

Strange hypothetical that's tough to truly call accurate but the point is made. If you don't think Dunne wouldn't have made a huge difference in 2015 and the first half of 2016 you're nuts.

Hopefully Farley sticks with this offense long term. It will make a world of difference in this program. Us fans have long claimed a good QB and we win a title in the last 7 years with this defense. Now it might be too late given we are playing 9 freshman on defense this year.

For reference current MVC records that would've put him up with
Career completion % - 5th right behind Wentz and a head of Matt Brown
Career completions - 2nd Matt Brown is first at 927, Austin Sumner is currently 2nd at 737
Career yards - 1st - curernt record is 10,591 by Matt Brown. Only QB in conference history over 9,450
Career TDs - 1st - current record is 78 by Matt Brown

This wouldn't be that strange for UNI, really. Go look at the record books for QBs and WRs. The top 10s are littered with UNI QBs and WRs from 1995-2000. Ryan Helming is one of the most prolific QBs in MVFC history. Mike Furry, Dedric Ward, Eddie Berlin are all over the top 10-15 in every single career and single game record for WRs. UNI has 2 of the top 4 QBs in career passing yards - Ryan Helming at 9,048 and Eric Sanders at 9,012. Helming played 1997-1999. Sanders was 05-07. Dedric ward was 93-96, Berlin and Furrey were 97-00

Hell, Sawyer set every freshman passing record in the MVFC in 2012-15. His numbers, had he been healthy/not benched for Carnes and Bailey would be top 5-10 in every category. Imagine a UNI offense with Kollmorgen 2012-2015 and Dunne 16-18.

Dammit, now I'm depressed.

More to your question - was very nervous about all of the new coaches for a couple reasons.
1. Farley is notoriously hard to work for
2. Farley controls everything, even the offense
3. The coaches all came from programs that aren't very good/are very young and I didn't know how/if they'd be able to translate coming from losing programs.

QB coach has bounced around ISUr when they weren't good, NIU, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, UTMartin, etc... All programs that didn't really produce a ton when he was there in terms of wins. NIU and UTM had QB's but up numbers but I, probably wrongly, dismissed that as being in the MAC in the early 00s and the OVC.

OL coach comes from EIU via North Texas. His lines produced players with big numbers but again, Sun Belt and OVC cometition

WR coach is like 27. He's coaches at UC Davis - not exactly a passing hotbed and Stonehill College as the special teams coordinator.

I saw through social media, and people ITK, that the new staff brought levels of energy and excitement this offense hasn't seen in a long time. Players were excited to practice. They went harder. I wasn't sure that would translate over, to be honest. It was a good gimmick in the spring, but no way Farley let that fly in the fall.

Sure enough Farley is letting the assistants do what they want/need. The energy is still high. Players are excited. Dunne looks better than before. The WRs are better in their routes/catching. The OL still needs to develop run blocking in this scheme but is actually physical - compared to how soft they've been.

Who knows how long it lasts, but it seems to be turning the right way for now.
we've always been able to game plan your offense well, even kept David Johnson in check almost every game .. Spack/Nowinsky are good at defending dual threat QBs, unless they are real threat to throw it first and run it only to keep defenses honest .. UNI offenses seemed to always take opposite tact and played right into our strengths .. but please keep this between us and don't tell Farley xeyebrowx

clenz
September 12th, 2017, 11:07 AM
we've always been able to game plan your offense well, even kept David Johnson in check almost every game .. Spack/Nowinsky are good at defending dual threat QBs, unless they are real threat to throw it first and run it only to keep defenses honest .. UNI offenses seemed to always take opposite tact and played right into our strengths .. but please keep this between us and don't tell Farley xeyebrowx
Farley's offense since 2010 hasn't been a secret to anyone. I was in Fargo over Labor Day. Spent quite a bit of time with a former NDSU kicker - went to supper with him, went out on the town with him, played cards, tailgated, etc...

It became real obvious talking to him that everything I assumed about Farley's offense was confirmed. If the opposing kickers knows the tendencies/flaws just as well as I do then it's pretty obvious there are real issues.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Farley's offense since 2010 hasn't been a secret to anyone. I was in Fargo over Labor Day. Spent quite a bit of time with a former NDSU kicker - went to supper with him, went out on the town with him, played cards, tailgated, etc...

It became real obvious talking to him that everything I assumed about Farley's offense was confirmed. If the opposing kickers knows the tendencies/flaws just as well as I do then it's pretty obvious there are real issues.
except you guys almost always started strong out of conference .. then hit the MVFC gauntlet, who knew UNI best, and then struggled against the better MVFC defenses.

Wouldn't it be sign of the apocalypse if UNI figured out offense and swapped places with EWU. It is text book case of the importance of empowering players versus stifling them ... got to do former if you expect to get 110% effort and buy in. After one game, I asked EWU fan if new coach would lose his team by going to conservative too fast. Their run/pass balance in losing to Texas Tech was 50/50 and they lost by 40+ ... how can that be with their QB and OL playing from behind.

NDSU is rare example of team that sticks to their system regardless of players .. but much easier to do when you win championships.

If UNI figures out offense and YSU figures out defense, MVFC will be stronger in 2017 than it was in 2014 .. need to start taking about 5 to 6 playoff teams, and leaning towards 6 teams right now. SIU is coming along too. But conference play is 40 wins 40 losses .. no mater how strong and deep we are.

veinup
September 12th, 2017, 05:26 PM
more non conference games between big sky and MVFC would be great. not that the big sky would fare well, but i'd rather see it than playing FBS and/or non scholarship schools..

GodHelpTheBears
September 12th, 2017, 05:40 PM
more non conference games between big sky and MVFC would be great. not that the big sky would fare well, but i'd rather see it than playing FBS and/or non scholarship schools..

I support it if it never turns into a mandatory thing. Programs like ours should frankly stick to buy games and lower division/non-scholly teams in non-con, until we prove we can beat the second group consistently.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2017, 07:25 PM
I support it if it never turns into a mandatory thing. Programs like ours should frankly stick to buy games and lower division/non-scholly teams in non-con, until we prove we can beat the second group consistently.

There is always UC-Davis and Sac St for you and ISUb

NDSU vs EWU/UM/MtSt
SDSU vs EWU/UM/MtSt
UNI vs EWU/UM/MtSt

UND vs SUU/WSU/Cal Poly/ID
ISUr vs SUU/WSU/Cal Poly/ID
YSU vs SUU/WSU/Cal Poly/ID
USD vs SUU/WSU/Cal Poly/ID

WIU vs NAU/PSU/UNC
SIU vs NAU/PSU/UNC

ISUb vs UCD/Sac St/ISUo
MoSt vs UCD/Sac St/ISUo

MuSt vs UCD/Sac St/ISUo (Assuming Murray joins)

That would be a fun match-up where every other year you would play someone in that group and do a H-H every other year. After those 3 years, evaluate the talent of the teams and then rotate the teams so there is always parity and exciting match-ups. This way, it could actually be a trophy that the conference plays for. It would not be a horrible idea as it ensures that each game, the opponent of each game has a chance to win while keeping equal football so NDSU does not get a UC-Davis and Montana does not get MoSt. 1 Big Sky team or 2 would have to sit out every rotation, but if they did this every year, it allows for an FBS game AND another home game if the schools want. This way, NDSU, UM, SDSU, EWU, etc... get their 6 games if they want by eliminating the FBS game OR keeping the FBS game on the rotation where they are the home team.