PDA

View Full Version : What's an opinion you hold that contradicts those held by most of your fanbase?

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 01:44 PM
***Shamelessly stolen from the cfb subreddit - comments must begin with "From my point of view..."***

From my point of view, Missouri State athletics should do everything in its power to join a south central focused conference (south central meaning Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas) and abandon the midwest.

The Ozarks have never had particularly strong ties to the midwest. We've been lumped in by default because of the I-70 corridor and its inhabitants, who are all unquestionably midwestern. The MVFC accentuates this, with four (soon to be five) members next to Minnesota and another by Pennsylvania. The Gateway days were tolerable because it was more of a bus league. Essentially, we became stuck in a conference that grew away from us.

The Ozarks have always been culturally skewed toward the south and west. These patterns have emerged economically in modern times. Southwest Missouri residents who leave the state tend to end up in northwest Arkansas, Oklahoma City or Dallas/Fort Worth instead of St Louis and Chicago in the 21st century. Imagine my surprise when I found honest to God cashew chicken in OKC a couple of years ago.

Our football program, after decades of play has nothing to show for it, and I don't mean silverware. This university has no traditions it can point to, no rivalries for fans to look forward to every year even when the team is crap. Missouri State football might as well have been started last year. It means we would not have to worry about losing anything by making a big move like this. We could also preemptively strike against The Death Sentence, a term I use to describe a possible future "MVFC west" division containing us, UNI and the Dakota schools, a group with which we have nothing whatsoever in common, and no hope to ever compete in this sport if we end up in that situation.

We prolong a hopeless future by continuing to squat in a conference we do not belong in. We've tinkered on the margins, we've tried the moderate shifts. Nothing has worked. We need to take a big rip, shatter the status quo and this is a way to ensure a better long term future. I have nothing against the other schools or fans in the MVFC, it just does not make sense for our university to be here any longer.

cx500d
August 13th, 2017, 01:46 PM
***Shamelessly stolen from the cfb subreddit - comments must begin with "From my point of view..."***

From my point of view, Missouri State athletics should do everything in its power to join a south central focused conference (south central meaning Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas) and abandon the midwest.

The Ozarks have never had particularly strong ties to the midwest. We've been lumped in by default because of the I-70 corridor and its inhabitants, who are all unquestionably midwestern. The MVFC accentuates this, with four (soon to be five) members next to Minnesota and another by Pennsylvania. The Gateway days were tolerable because it was more of a bus league. Essentially, we became stuck in a conference that grew away from us.

The Ozarks have always been culturally skewed toward the south and west. These patterns have emerged economically in modern times. Southwest Missouri residents who leave the state tend to end up in northwest Arkansas, Oklahoma City or Dallas/Fort Worth instead of St Louis and Chicago in the 21st century. Imagine my surprise when I found honest to God cashew chicken in OKC a couple of years ago.

Our football program, after decades of play has nothing to show for it, and I don't mean silverware. This university has no traditions it can point to, no rivalries for fans to look forward to every year even when the team is crap. Missouri State football might as well have been started last year. It means we would not have to worry about losing anything by making a big move like this. We could also preemptively strike against The Death Sentence, a term I use to describe a possible future "MVFC west" division containing us, UNI and the Dakota schools, a group with which we have nothing whatsoever in common, and no hope to ever compete in this sport.

We prolong a hopeless future by continuing to squat in a conference we do not belong in. We've tinkered on the margins, we've tried the moderate shifts. Nothing has worked. We need to take a big rip, shatter the status quo and this is a way to ensure a better long term future. I have nothing against the other schools or fans in the MVFC, it just does not make sense for our university to be here any longer.

Are you watching Ozark on netflix?

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 01:49 PM

I don't have Netflix and am only vaguely aware of the show's existence.

Catatonic
August 13th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Have you at least seen Winter's Bone? If not, from my point of view you really should watch it. The scene where Jennifer Lawrence skins a squirrel alone makes watching the movie worthwhile.

The producers literally bought the shirts off the backs of locals, along with pants, coats and every other piece of clothing save undies in an effort to make the movie as authentic as possible. The sound track features local musicians too.

POD Knows
August 13th, 2017, 02:04 PM
That given the choice between attending a P5 school and NDSU to play football, the athlete will choose the P5 school 99% of the time

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Have you at least seen Winter's Bone? If not, from my point of view you really should watch it. The scene where Jennifer Lawrence skins a squirrel alone makes watching the movie worthwhile.

The producers literally bought the shirts off the backs of locals, along with pants, coats and every other piece of clothing save undies in an effort to make the movie as authentic as possible. The sound track features local musicians too.

I admit it is a bit difficult to judge Winter's Bone from my perspective. Outsiders who see things like that tend to fetishize it one way or the other. I have intended to read Woodrell for some time, just have not gotten around to it. All I can say is I know what I saw when I was Ree's age. It was kind of like when Mark Knopfler tried to copy Reverend Billy Gibbons' guitar tone on Money for Nothing - not exact but a decent representation. As with all artistic representations of mostly neglected regions, folks need to realize that not everyone lives that way. There are good, happy moments too.

cx500d
August 13th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I think the earth is spherical and that the United States really did land astronauts on the moon.

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 02:11 PM
That given the choice between attending a P5 school and NDSU to play football, the athlete will choose the P5 school 99% of the time

Heh, after a particular mix of bad Bears football and Bud Heavies I end up thinking we need to beat SEC and Big 12 programs for recruits just to have a chance against the upper crust of the MVFC, with how frequently you all beat those teams.

Catatonic
August 13th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I admit it is a bit difficult to judge Winter's Bone from my perspective. Outsiders who see things like that tend to fetishize it one way or the other. I have intended to read Woodrell for some time, just have not gotten around to it. All I can say is I know what I saw when I was Ree's age. It was kind of like when Mark Knopfler tried to copy Reverend Billy Gibbons' guitar tone on Money for Nothing - not exact but a decent representation. As with all artistic representations of mostly neglected regions, folks need to realize that not everyone lives that way. There are good, happy moments too.

My relatives live in the Arkansas Ozarks not far from Hunstville. The scene with Marideth Sisco & a group playing & singing reminded me of my uncle's place. On Friday evenings neighbors would come & play & tell stories about themselves, family & their small community. Mandolin or fiddle or juice harp or harmonica, & maybe a guitar. Songs were all ballads that told a story. I have other relatives who live in Fayettville/Springdale & their lives are more "urban." Once a month or so they go fox hunting...sit around a camp fire & listen for their hounds to trail a fox.

As far as I know not one of them uses or manufactures meth. :)

Daytripper
August 13th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Jeremiah Briscoe is not the second coming of JC.

UAalum72
August 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I still have patience with Albany's two quarterbacks, now a Junior and a Redshirt Sophomore. Still hoping everything comes together for one of them this year.

bonarae
August 13th, 2017, 05:03 PM
From my point of view, Harvard's Tim Murphy has not done well enough to remain relevant nationally. Although his team is sometimes ranked and look at the numbers of alumni he sends to the NFL each year, the quality of the opponents has gone way down year on year since Restic retired and Murphy is ignoring the in-season impact that he's been doing when he sets the schedule each year.

Redbird 4th & short
August 13th, 2017, 05:10 PM
That our secondary is horrible and our defense never gets off the field.

Sort of a no brainer. But like most fan bases, we have lot of people who think we give up way too may 3rd and longs and that our defense never gets off the field .. mainly because, they dwell on the times we don't and expect/forget it the times we do.

Fact is, we finished #1 in MVFC pass defense QBR and #1 in total defensive yards per play. Then tied for 1st in rush yards per play. #1 in defensive pass yards per attempt. and #2 in defensive pass completion rate. 1st in red zone defense. 3rd in opponent 3rd down conversion. The only stat we tanked is defensive 4th down conversion, where we oddly finished last .. our DL was a bit undersized and we didn't do well with TFLs or sacks either .. which actually makes the other stats more impressive considering how little we got into backfield.

Catatonic
August 13th, 2017, 05:34 PM
From my perspective ACU should make some tough choices & focus resources on those sports we believe have the potential to compete for conference championships rather than spreading our limited funds on all sports. Better to be excellent in a few sports than mediocre in many.

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 05:57 PM
From my perspective ACU should make some tough choices & focus resources on those sports we believe have the potential to compete for conference championships rather than spreading our limited funds on all sports. Better to be excellent in a few sports than mediocre in many.

I did not use this one because I think more than a few in our fan base hold this belief, particularly because we have had national success in baseball, men's and women's basketball. It's an ongoing debate on forums, radio shows and in barbershops.

TheRevSFA
August 13th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Zach conque was rewarded through nepotism

mmiller_34
August 13th, 2017, 06:06 PM
That South Dakota will likely beat us this year.

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2017, 06:14 PM
From my point of view, NDSU has won its last FCS title..........
They will move up to FBS before hitting #6.

Kemo
August 13th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Casey's Pizza is overrated and breakfast pizza is an abomination.

JSUBison
August 13th, 2017, 06:21 PM
AC/DC sucks and Thunderstruck is some seriously lame overplayed **** of a song to have to hear ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM

YES! This too!

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2017, 06:24 PM
AC/DC sucks and Thunderstruck is some seriously lame overplayed **** of a song to have to hear ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

........yeah. I'm there now too. Imagine if they tried to change it though? xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Adding on to this, the Casey's locations I have visited in southwest MO are dingy on the inside, and look run down.

Kum & Go is a much better convenience store chain overall - open floor space, better lighting, better food overall and they sell Hamm's

Professor Chaos
August 13th, 2017, 06:43 PM
From my point of view, country music is so horrible I'd rather listen to classical music.

DirtyDukes
August 13th, 2017, 07:33 PM
From my point of view, we should not move up to FCS until there is a regional conference for us to join.

Catatonic
August 13th, 2017, 07:42 PM
From my point of view, we should not move up to FCS until there is a regional conference for us to join.

So you are saying JMU should remain in d2 for now? :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2017, 07:50 PM

I had to double take on this one.....AC/DC rules!!

:D

Wildcat1997
August 13th, 2017, 08:08 PM
From my perspective ACU should make some tough choices & focus resources on those sports we believe have the potential to compete for conference championships rather than spreading our limited funds on all sports. Better to be excellent in a few sports than mediocre in many. I didn't know that this was an unpopular opinion among our fanbase. It makes perfect sense to me.

Redbird 4th & short
August 13th, 2017, 08:12 PM
That South Dakota will likely beat us this year.

so your #1 MVFC 2016 offense (lost just 1.8 starters) against their #10 MVFC 2016 defense (lost 5.6 starters) .. I just don't see that happening, even at their place.

jmufan999
August 13th, 2017, 08:14 PM
*FCS is more exciting because of the playoffs than ANY bowls, other than perhaps the New Years 6 or whatever they're called. in that case, the exposure and money is too great to ignore. anything else, i'll take FCS and won't bat an eye. if the playoffs ever expand to 8, and there is no reason to think that will happen, i might change my tune. bottom line: i don't give two s**ts about the G5 and some meaningless bowl.

*if JMU moves up, all our friends/family/neighbors will not suddenly become huge JMU fans. that's not suddenly going to be all the talk at the water cooler. won't. happen. very mild bump in that kind of thing, if any. many of our fans are totally, completely, 100% disillusioned on this and will be incredibly disappointed when they figure it out.

*many JMU fans believe that having one big regular season game (say, hosting a P5 team) is more important than anything. i absolutely don't understand the logic. isn't the POINT of the regular season to advance to the most climactic part, the postseason? this sentiment is so far away from my beliefs that i have stopped bringing it up. whatever they want to believe, i'll let them do it. have a great time.

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2017, 08:14 PM
so your #1 MVFC 2016 offense (lost just 1.8 starters) against their #10 MVFC 2016 defense (lost 5.6 starters) .. I just don't see that happening, even at their place.

Mark my words.....they will lose 1-2 games in the Valley...and it will be late in the season and to someone stupid. 2-3 way tie for conference champs. SDSU funneled to NDSU or vice versa.

mmiller_34
August 13th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Mark my words.....they will lose 1-2 games in the Valley...and it will be late in the season and to someone stupid. 2-3 way tie for conference champs. SDSU funneled to NDSU or vice versa.

^^^

Yep.

Its either some **** like happened last year at Illinois State where 2 TDs were called back (later confirmed mis-calls by the MVFC) or something like having a game at Western Illinois pushed back because of a blizzard then a car accident halting traffic getting to the game. It happens every year.

https://media.tenor.com/images/ce0f9bc74aa4bbd5a7f2c8133359c83a/tenor.gif

JayJ79
August 13th, 2017, 09:24 PM
*many JMU fans believe that having one big regular season game (say, hosting a P5 team) is more important than anything.

Even if you did move up, it would be into a G5 conference. And how often do G5 teams host P5 teams anyway?

GodHelpTheBears
August 13th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Even if you did move up, it would be into a G5 conference. And how often do G5 teams host P5 teams anyway?

I mean both UVA and VT will travel to Liberty and/or Old Dominion multiple times over the next ten years. I don't blame JMU fans for assuming they could get a couple.

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2017, 09:55 PM
^^^

Yep.

Its either some **** like happened last year at Illinois State where 2 TDs were called back (later confirmed mis-calls by the MVFC) or something like having a game at Western Illinois pushed back because of a blizzard then a car accident halting traffic getting to the game. It happens every year.

NDSU 5 peated.....and they went unblemished in the Valley ONCE....losses to YSU, ISUb, UNI, USD. 3 of those at home ironically. xlolx

Serpentor
August 13th, 2017, 10:21 PM
From my point of view, country music is so horrible I'd rather listen to classical music.

From my perspective, the Jedi are evil!!!!

JALMOND
August 13th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Portland State absolutely belongs in the Big Sky.

The PSU fans seem to think a move to the Mountain West would be a good thing, and that Ducks and Beavers fans will then take notice of us (and they will come to Portland and play PSU). Aside from the fact that PSU does not have the resources to finance a move to FBS, playing in the Mountain West would generate the same interest across the city as what PSU currently has with the Big Sky (pretty low). The outcome of a couple seasons ago showed me that winning can generate a whole bunch of interest in PSU football. We don't need to advance "up" to get the interest.

BisonTru
August 13th, 2017, 11:24 PM

Tru

I think the earth is spherical and that the United States really did land astronauts on the moon.

Also, very tru.xnodx

Very likely.

------------------------------------------------------

For me, Polasek was a good offensive coordinator that kept us in our roots but expanded the offense with schemes to make us more dynamic. He should be our next head coach.

Redbird 4th & short
August 13th, 2017, 11:33 PM
^^^

Yep.

I know one TD called back was Goedert for OL being down field. What play was the other TD called back ?

mmiller_34
August 14th, 2017, 12:04 AM
I know one TD called back was Goedert for OL being down field. What play was the other TD called back ?

Early in the 4th, Jacks had 2nd and goal and threw a TD to Weineke that replay showed was a TD but refs didn't overturn. In the MVFC conference call that week Stig mentioned that the league office confirmed that call should have been a TD (along with Goederts). Weieneke's would-be TD would have tied the game 28-28. Instead, TC threw a pick the next play, the next two Jacks O-series ended in INT's one that was returned for 6.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/status/793883138971803648

Tough luck, happens I guess.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 14th, 2017, 09:19 AM
That this years QB for the Griz will be far better than last years because Brady Gus was really not very good.

DirtyDukes
August 14th, 2017, 09:21 AM
So you are saying JMU should remain in d2 for now? :D

https://media.giphy.com/media/eji8sp5T7pCk8/giphy.gif

bobcathpdevil56
August 14th, 2017, 09:25 AM
That we may be better suited to move Murray to a position player and find a more "classic" QB this season, that plays with in the playbook that OC Armstrong wants to have.

Lorne_Malvo
August 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM
That Easton Stick is a 5/10 QB.

IBleedYellow
August 14th, 2017, 10:34 AM

We ain't going FBS before this year. xlolx

Sammy94
August 14th, 2017, 10:41 AM
That the incoming freshman class at SFA may actually beat Sam before they graduate.

344Johnson
August 14th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Preach. AC/DC blows.

BisonFan02
August 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM
We ain't going FBS before this year. xlolx

We aren't winning this year either.

jmufan999
August 14th, 2017, 12:41 PM
That Easton Stick is a 5/10 QB.

what does this mean? like a 10 is the best you can be, and he's half of that? honestly asking.

BisonFan02
August 14th, 2017, 01:01 PM
what does this mean? like a 10 is the best you can be, and he's half of that? honestly asking.

Stick to me is a more athletic Brock Jensen....just without the consistent ice in his veins that Brock had. Stick has two more years to prove otherwise.

mvemjsunpx
August 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM
That O'Day & Pflugrad should've been fired. xcoffeex

dewey
August 14th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Stick to me is a more athletic Brock Jensen....just without the consistent ice in his veins that Brock had. Stick has two more years to prove otherwise.

This right here^^^^^ Hard to imagine that Stick is still only a junior.

Dewey

KPSUL
August 14th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I really don't care whether or not UNH makes the playoffs again if the best we can do is a 7-4 regular season record. I think we could benefit from a reset and a corresponding change in attitude and intensity. Making the playoffs 13 consecutive times may be more of a novelty than a big accomplishment - particularly now that 24 teams get in.

Rjones61
August 14th, 2017, 08:30 PM
There is no way in hell our receiving corps comes close to what they were last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 14th, 2017, 08:46 PM
That Lehigh would be perfectly fine if they never play a FBS game. They don't need the money or one less home game. Focus on beating top tier FCS teams instead of dumpster fire FBS clubs.

Sader87
August 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM
I think it's fairly popular with what few fans we have undah 40....but I couldn't care less about the FCS playoffs.

cx500d
August 14th, 2017, 10:44 PM
....but I couldn't care less about the FCS playoffs.

If that's how you need to rationalize the pathetic performance of your team, I guess if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McTailGator
August 14th, 2017, 10:45 PM

Our football program, after decades of play has nothing to show for it, and I don't mean silverware. This university has no traditions it can point to, no rivalries for fans to look forward to every year even when the team is crap. Missouri State football might as well have been started last year. It means we would not have to worry about losing anything by making a big move like this. We could also preemptively strike against The Death Sentence, a term I use to describe a possible future "MVFC west" division containing us, UNI and the Dakota schools, a group with which we have nothing whatsoever in common, and no hope to ever compete in this sport if we end up in that situation.

I wish the SLC would have brought you guys in before we took in Houston Baptist, and Incarnate Word.

Too late now. We are stuck with them now.

Schism55
August 14th, 2017, 11:42 PM
****ing lol...so true!

Lorne_Malvo
August 15th, 2017, 12:07 AM
what does this mean? like a 10 is the best you can be, and he's half of that? honestly asking. Yes, Stick is a mediocre at best QB and the worst NDSU has had for a long time. He is a great runner, but locks on to 1st receiver 100% of the time. His decision making is poor and his throws are over/under/off 50% of the time. I dont see NDSU making the big game this year.

Mattymc727
August 15th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I really don't care whether or not UNH makes the playoffs again if the best we can do is a 7-4 regular season record. I think we could benefit from a reset and a corresponding change in attitude and intensity. Making the playoffs 13 consecutive times may be more of a novelty than a big accomplishment - particularly now that 24 teams get in.

Not sure it needs a reset, but I don't think McDonnell, despite how good of a coach and mentor he is, can bring in a title. His philosophy is based on getting those overlooked diamonds in the rough to play above and beyond their capability (hence the 1-AA success without any NFL pipeline). Yet to win a title you really need some of that top end talent that UNH doesn't go for, not that they would win a recruiting battle their anyway.

I somewhat agree, that a young hungry influence could do a little magic for the program, but McDonnell is certainly here until he decides to hang them up.

Redbird 4th & short
August 15th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Early in the 4th, Jacks had 2nd and goal and threw a TD to Weineke that replay showed was a TD but refs didn't overturn. In the MVFC conference call that week Stig mentioned that the league office confirmed that call should have been a TD (along with Goederts). Weieneke's would-be TD would have tied the game 28-28. Instead, TC threw a pick the next play, the next two Jacks O-series ended in INT's one that was returned for 6.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/status/793883138971803648

Tough luck, happens I guess.

Gotcha .. I do recall some stir about couple calls. It was an unusually efficient game for our offense. And a bend don't break defenseive day. Christion threw for 400+ yards, but was barely over 50% completion rate with 60+ passes, and threw 3 picks in Q4 .. we had shut down your run game, so Christion was tryig to win it with his arm.

We did have big issues the prior week at USD .. several odd calls, Spack was furious after game. One involving 40 yard reception where WR juggled ball while stepping out of bounds, then further funbled ball once out of bounds. Ref had pretty good view of play, ruled catch .. our coaches were too far away to see it. USD ran hurry up play before we could ask for review. After slow start, we had them shut down after Q1, this play cost us a FG and we lost by 3. Other calls I don't recall but it was not a balanced game. But we also lost because of 2 fumbles inside the 5, one of which was at end of a 40 yard TD run .. FR RB got careless with all as he was going into end zone.

Speaking of OL being downfield and losing points .... same thing happened to us in 2015 Richmond playoff game ... Q3, down 11, momentum swinging in our favor after slow start ... ball just inside their 5, Roberson throws TD pass to left side of end zone .. one ref raised hands for TD .. 2 seconds later another ref throws his flag 25 yards away toward line ... one of our OL had drifted onto goal line looking for someone to block .. he was standing all alone 25 yards away, about 4.9 yards from LOS .. TD reversed. Next play Roberson is picked, they go down and score .. down 18 instead of 4. We again fought back to 5 points, but lost by 12.

p.s. if there is one game I am not looking forward to it is SDSU on road after last year s big win .. sensing pay back will be on Jacks mind.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 15th, 2017, 07:50 AM
That Montana will be good again in a couple years.

Its gonna take a lot longer than that............5+

ST_Lawson
August 15th, 2017, 07:53 AM
...we have undah 40...

Undah?

TheKingpin28
August 15th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Yes, Stick is a mediocre at best QB and the worst NDSU has had for a long time. He is a great runner, but locks on to 1st receiver 100% of the time. His decision making is poor and his throws are over/under/off 50% of the time. I dont see NDSU making the big game this year.

Just wondering if this includes Mertens and Mohler?

BisonFan02
August 15th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Just wondering if this includes Mertens and Mohler?

Tough to blame Mertens for those teams. A lot happened in the background that he really should get credit for too....ill leave it at that.

ccd494
August 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM
We should drop athletics.

KPSUL
August 15th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Not sure it needs a reset, but I don't think McDonnell, despite how good of a coach and mentor he is, can bring in a title. His philosophy is based on getting those overlooked diamonds in the rough to play above and beyond their capability (hence the 1-AA success without any NFL pipeline). Yet to win a title you really need some of that top end talent that UNH doesn't go for, not that they would win a recruiting battle their anyway.

I somewhat agree, that a young hungry influence could do a little magic for the program, but McDonnell is certainly here until he decides to hang them up.

I really didn't mean a change in head coaches with the term reset - maybe "wake up call" would have been better phrasing. I believe we could win one with McDonnell at the helm, a couple of favorable bounces in 2014 vs ISUred and we would have been in the championship game against what was arguably the weakest of NDSU's championship teams. Realistically, I do not see UNH building the kind of juggernaut program like NDSU 2013 or JMU 2016 that rolls over all FCS competition all season and into the playoffs - regardless who the head coach is.

You are right about stepping up the recruiting program and vying for a larger share of the top recruits available to FCS teams. But I'm wondering if that has not already begun to happen? We are seeing earlier commits for 2018 and the last couple of years seem to be an improvement over the current senior and maybe even junior classes at UNH. You stay much closer to recruiting then I do, but from the 40,000 foot level that seem the case to me.

Sader87
August 15th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Undah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEm0t5Wc11U&t=8s

UAalum72
August 15th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I think it's fairly popular with what few fans we have undah 40....but I couldn't care less about the FCS playoffs.

Undah?

It's pronounced '"Undah Fawty"

DallasSpider
August 15th, 2017, 08:19 PM
That our high academic standards negatively impact our recruiting.

We have the second most playoff wins and a natty in the last ten years and we can "only" recruit players that fit our academic mold. If we have that success and have great students, why lower our requirements?

Fans of our basketball program probably complain more than football about this, but I think it is a moot point all around.

KPSUL
August 15th, 2017, 09:56 PM
That our high academic standards negatively impact our recruiting.

We have the second most playoff wins and a natty in the last ten years and we can "only" recruit players that fit our academic mold. If we have that success and have great students, why lower our requirements?

Fans of our basketball program probably complain more than football about this, but I think it is a mute point all around.

Actually I think it is a "moot point". Did you fit the Richmond academic mold?

cx500d
August 15th, 2017, 09:58 PM

Maybe he is mute.

ST_Lawson
August 15th, 2017, 10:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEm0t5Wc11U&t=8s

I mean...I get that that's what a stereotypical Boston accent sounds like, I just don't think I've ever seen someone write with an accent that wasn't trying to make fun of the accent or people with that accent (unless that is what you were doing).

Sader87
August 15th, 2017, 11:31 PM
Macomb, Illinois? Dude, just kill yourself....Christ :)

DirtyDukes
August 16th, 2017, 08:10 AM
We have the second most playoff wins

But I thought that was SHSU?!?!?!

https://media.giphy.com/media/ohyNdetcfoJ9K/giphy.gif
http://reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/comments/2vnkm5/mrw_my_friends_mom_calls_him_by_his_nickname/

UAalum72
August 16th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I mean...I get that that's what a stereotypical Boston accent sounds like, I just don't think I've ever seen someone write with an accent that wasn't trying to make fun of the accent or people with that accent (unless that is what you were doing).
Do you think Mr. Chicken is actually making fun of chickens? Let alone all the goog ol' boys on here who type out their y'alls

ST_Lawson
August 16th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Macomb, Illinois? Dude, just kill yourself....Christ :)

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/ksbp.gif

Do you think Mr. Chicken is actually making fun of chickens? Let alone all the goog ol' boys on here who type out their y'alls

No, I get that he's doing a "bit", and usually the y'alls are in a context where it's obviously a joke (or at least trying to be funny), but doing the Boston accent version of that is a new one for me.

Bucs2016
August 16th, 2017, 02:24 PM
That we have peaked as a program after 3x Big South Championships. Many at CSU accept .500 seasons and that is NOT a bad thing because I dont believe in firing coaches every 4 years for not winning 11 a year. But that said...our program has grown continuously for 30 years and can still grow better. The next step is obviously stadium upgrades. Fix that...and we have the ingredients to be a constant top 20 caliber program because everything else is in place to recruit top 20 caliber FCS players and lure FBS transfers.

PAllen
August 16th, 2017, 04:19 PM

If nobody's talking about it, perhaps it is a mute point.

BTW, for my opinion that contradicts most LU followers (on this board at least): Have you visited the poli board at any point in the last 2-3 years?

GodHelpTheBears
August 16th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Missouri State U is doing the right thing by reducing on-campus parking.

They want the campus to be more walkable and compact while still growing the student body, increasing built-out cohesiveness so students from different schools aren't siloed and only see each other while waiting in line at Chick-Fil-A in the student union. Also, the place just looks nicer with these additions, and that can mean something to a high schooler and his parents on a campus tour.

This gets many complaints because the MSU crowd is predominantly Ozarks hicks (I say this with affection as one) and suburban St Louisans. Neither group puts any value whatsoever in coherent, compact development plans and moan constantly because they can't park five feet away from JQH for the basketball games. (Hint: there are shuttles, you don't have to walk)

KPSUL
August 16th, 2017, 04:44 PM
If nobody's talking about it, perhaps it is a mute point.

BTW, for my opinion that contradicts most LU followers (on this board at least): Have you visited the poli board at any point in the last 2-3 years?

I've looked at it a couple times and quickly moved on. I get enough of politically oriented stuff on other social media, so I'll keep AGS as a sanctuary from social and political contentiousness.

DallasSpider
August 17th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Can't say I did

RichH2
August 17th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Never been to poli board. Nor do I foresee a time that I ever would. AGS is for football.

Panther88
August 17th, 2017, 04:40 PM
First, ursus, kick the AC/DC haters off the board :D . They may come for Chicago or Boston next.

The thing I've bytched about for awhile and SHSU is proving what I know to be true, there's entirely too much HS talent in tx HS football for us not to be dominant.

GodHelpTheBears
August 17th, 2017, 04:54 PM
First, ursus, kick the AC/DC haters off the board :D . They may come for Chicago or Boston next.

The thing I've bytched about for awhile and SHSU is proving what I know to be true, there's entirely too much HS talent in tx HS football for us not to be dominant.

This is a great point, which leads me to another: Missouri State needs to hit Texas for recruits, as hard as the coaching staff legally can.

Neither Oklahoma nor Kansas has a single FCS team. Arkansas has two. Forget St Louis - their kids are overrated anyway. The barn door is wide open, and I'm glad our coaches are storming in.

Ivytalk
August 18th, 2017, 06:56 AM
What is this fan base of which you speak?xconfusedx

caribbeanhen
August 18th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Rocco might not be the second coming

REALBird
August 18th, 2017, 04:02 PM
That Illinois State should leave for the MAC in all-sports. There are a few that are onboard, but the general consensus is that Valley Basketball is a vastly superior product.

PAllen
August 18th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Never been to poli board. Nor do I foresee a time that I ever would. AGS is for football.

A few got it, but for those who don't go there: There are a few Lehigh supporters who post on the poli board. Of those, I slightly disagree with one most of the time, I more strongly disagree with a few others most of the time, and one I think I've opposed everything he's ever posted over there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 18th, 2017, 04:12 PM

I rarely, rarely ever go over there (like 4-5 times a year). It has to be something that directly relates to me to even consider stepping foot in there.

Now the champagne room?...lol

dewey
August 18th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I rarely, rarely ever go over there (like 4-5 times a year). It has to be something that directly relates to me to even consider stepping foot in there.

Now the champagne room?...lol

The champagne room is good but there is a better optionxthumbsupx

Dewey

dgtw
August 19th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I yell Roll Tide as loudly as I do Go Gamecocks. I even like Chattanooga.

Professor Chaos
September 5th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Watched the DVR of the NDSU/MVSU game since I left once the Bison got up by 40+ and I'm pretty sure I'm the only Bison fan who thinks this.

Lee Timmerman isn't that bad (as NDSU's TV color commentator).

JSUSoutherner
September 5th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I yell Roll Tide as loudly as I do Go Gamecocks. I even like Chattanooga.

xshakefistx

POD Knows
September 6th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Watched the DVR of the NDSU/MVSU game since I left once the Bison got up by 40+ and I'm pretty sure I'm the only Bison fan who thinks this.

Lee Timmerman isn't that bad (as NDSU's TV color commentator).I have watched a lot of other games on ESPN3 and I actually think KVLY does a decent job. Timmerman is OK, he isn't as terrible as most of the other guys announcing some of these other game. Everybody seems to think Midco does such a great job with SDSU games, they are OK but nothing great.

Daytripper
September 6th, 2017, 09:48 AM

I binge-watched season one and liked it...a lot.

The Pud
September 6th, 2017, 10:08 AM
I binge-watched season one and liked it...a lot.

I just binged watched Narcos over Labour Day weekend

OSBF
September 6th, 2017, 10:15 AM
That it's perfectly acceptable to have a convicted felon drug dealer not only on the roster, or on campus, but that he never misses 1 single friggin snap.

That its perfectly acceptable to have a guy on the team let alone on campus that likes to shoot at dorms from a moving car

That its possible to build a program on the shoulders of a bunch of guys that got kicked out of school somewhere else and land at ILS because they have nowhere else to go

That high level FCS football is as good/better product than bottom of the barrel pond scum variety FBS football

That things like program integrity and ethics are just as important as W's, doing it the "right" way still matters

That the MAC is the promised land for ILS

To be competitive at the highest levels of FCS you should have sufficient depth that the majority of freshmen RS, and you seldom need to rely on a "down" transfer to plug a hole

Programs are built by working hard at recruiting, not scouring the police blotter from Columbus, Champaign, Kalamazoo, Muncie, etc etc etc

Look at how other FCS programs with long term success do what they do and model your program after what they've done

There really is a difference between building a program for long term sustained excellence and throwing together a team for a year or two

Just a sampling of views I hold that are contrary to todays ILS fanbase

OH, forgot 1

Yes, championships in football do matter, just as much as in basketball

woffordgrad94
September 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
That it's perfectly acceptable to have a convicted felon drug dealer not only on the roster, or on campus, but that he never misses 1 single friggin snap.

That its perfectly acceptable to have a guy on the team let alone on campus that likes to shoot at dorms from a moving car

That its possible to build a program on the shoulders of a bunch of guys that got kicked out of school somewhere else and land at ILS because they have nowhere else to go

That high level FCS football is as good/better product than bottom of the barrel pond scum variety FBS football

That things like program integrity and ethics are just as important as W's, doing it the "right" way still matters

That the MAC is the promised land for ILS

To be competitive at the highest levels of FCS you should have sufficient depth that the majority of freshmen RS, and you seldom need to rely on a "down" transfer to plug a hole

Programs are built by working hard at recruiting, not scouring the police blotter from Columbus, Champaign, Kalamazoo, Muncie, etc etc etc

Look at how other FCS programs with long term success do what they do and model your program after what they've done

There really is a difference between building a program for long term sustained excellence and throwing together a team for a year or two

Just a sampling of views I hold that are contrary to todays ILS fanbase

OH, forgot 1

Yes, championships in football do matter, just as much as in basketball
WHAT?! You want drug dealers and drive-by shooters on your team! I REALLY want to win, probably more than most any Wofford fan but even I don't think winning is THAT important. It ain't worth winning if you have to have a roster of criminals to do so!

But anyway, I was in Normal, Illinois this past May when I was working an outage at the Clinton Nuclear Power Station. Nice town. I loved McCauley at the Kappa Cabana...great fun! Too bad I forgot the pseudoname she went by there.

AmsterBison
September 6th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I have watched a lot of other games on ESPN3 and I actually think KVLY does a decent job. Timmerman is OK, he isn't as terrible as most of the other guys announcing some of these other game. Everybody seems to think Midco does such a great job with SDSU games, they are OK but nothing great.

I love that KVLY puts Bison games up on youtube. Not only that, but they trim the station breaks and commercials out. Timmerman doesn't bother me either... I listen to the radio broadcast though when possible though.

ASU33
September 6th, 2017, 02:00 PM
The Turkey Day Classic should be moved from Thanksgiving Day to the Saturday before Thanksgiving with us no longer playing Tuskegee.

GodHelpTheBears
September 6th, 2017, 07:16 PM
To fill in my prior posts on this thread...

Our starting QB is from Wichita. Our starting RB and top WR are both from Oklahoma. Our all-conference DE is from Rogers, AR. Our high-ceiling honorable mention sophomore LB is from Rowlett, TX and our kick returner is from Camden, AR.

In other words, nearly every player of note on our team is from the region I laid out in my topic starter. This is one point of evidence toward both theories - that Missouri State is an outsider in its current midwest-focused conference, and that fewer Missouri players should receive scholarship offers from the team because of how underdeveloped the youth football scene is in this state compared to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Hammerhead
September 6th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I'd rather watch a road game on TV with a quality opponent than fill up the non-conference with snoozefest home games against Piggly Wiggly State .

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I'd rather watch a road game on TV with a quality opponent than fill up the non-conference with snoozefest home games against Piggly Wiggly State .

Nothing wrong with cupcakes.

Or should we sacrifice a home game to travel on the road? 6 home games for me.

POD Knows
September 6th, 2017, 09:24 PM
I just binged watched Narcos over Labour Day weekendWatched it in one day over a weekend, it is pretty good. I watched all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad while working full time, in about 10 days, I originally thought it was 7 days but it took me longer than that. I knocked out 2 seasons in one rainy weekend.

Greatest mini series ever.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 7th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I'll go there, ETSU should have dropped men's tennis instead of football. When I was in their MBA program, I had the pleasure of having a couple of former tennis players in my classes. They had a sense of entitlement because they helped win the school conference titles. I was in a group with them and they were secretive as hell. They were the reason I quit the MBA program because they set me up to fail. When I informed the program director my intentions to drop the one class I was failing, they referred me to the counseling center claiming I had a problem with teams. I wish ETSU would also s***can their MBA program.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM
OKay, I have a couple concerning Wofford. At times I do not feel that I am the typical Wofford fan. Too many people associated with Wofford are quite laid back and cavalier when it comes to winning in athletics. Yes, you can argue that we have had some success in football and men's basketball, but that is primarily due to the good fortune of having a couple of excellent head coaches in place. In some other sports, such as baseball and most all womens' sports, we haven't been so fortunate. We have often kept coaches for years when it was obvious a change was needed. And when a coach finally did resign, he was replaced by an assitant through the good old boy network, rather than putting forth the effort of looking for a great coach outside the school that might really lift up the program. This is the sort of thing that really makes me worry about what might happen when Mike Ayers and Mike Young part ways with Wofford. Now lately, we have dione a bit better job with hirings and are starting to see some results in women's volleyball because we went out and got a coach and most people are finally optimistic about the positive trending of women's basketball last year (even if the final record did not reflect it)...so hopefully this trend is changing. But still, too many fans put more emphasis on stuff like sportsmanship, participation, and effort. Those are nice, but the object of the games are to WIN! I wish more people would get rabid about Wofford sports and demand excellence. Of couse I am a hige sports fan in general and I have been a "Wofford superfan" since I started going there way back in 1990...maybe I'm being a bit unrealistic in expecting the average person at Wofford to be like me...but this is my opinion that contradicts most of Wofford's fan base.

Second, I'm not really crazy about Gibbs Stadium, at least not as it is now. The stadium is not a disgrace and I realize that there are worse stadiums out there, but as far as FCS stadiums go, I would deem it average at best. I am not advocating for a huge stadium like, say, Montana has. Wofford is a very small school and the capacity of Gibbs is fine. What I don't like is the high school look and feel of the stadium. For instance, I would like to have seating behind the endzones and get rid of the "home" and "visitor" side deal and the kids sliding down the hill. We have a brand new facility opening for basketball and volleyball that is a major upgrade over the old one. We have pretty good baseball and soccer facilities for our level, and even though I don't particularly care for this sport, an excellent tennis facility. I would like to see some upgrades to the football stadium, particularly now since the local high school team we let use the stadium is now getting its own field and Gibbs is about to become Wofford's alone. No need for a college only stadium to look high schoolish!

CockyGeek
September 10th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Unpopular opinion: JSU can't hang with a P5 school for more than a half. People always thing we're going to catch an FBS team on an off day and come away with the win. Just because of a miracle win against Ole Miss in 2010 and an OT game against Auburn a couple years ago. Most of the other FBS games in the past 20 years have been complete embarrassments.

SU DOG
September 10th, 2017, 09:01 AM
OKay, I have a couple concerning Wofford. At times I do not feel that I am the typical Wofford fan. Too many people associated with Wofford are quite laid back and cavalier when it comes to winning in athletics. Yes, you can argue that we have had some success in football and men's basketball, but that is primarily due to the good fortune of having a couple of excellent head coaches in place. In some other sports, such as baseball and most all womens' sports, we haven't been so fortunate. We have often kept coaches for years when it was obvious a change was needed. And when a coach finally did resign, he was replaced by an assitant through the good old boy network, rather than putting forth the effort of looking for a great coach outside the school that might really lift up the program. This is the sort of thing that really makes me worry about what might happen when Mike Ayers and Mike Young part ways with Wofford. Now lately, we have dione a bit better job with hirings and are starting to see some results in women's volleyball because we went out and got a coach and most people are finally optimistic about the positive trending of women's basketball last year (even if the final record did not reflect it)...so hopefully this trend is changing. But still, too many fans put more emphasis on stuff like sportsmanship, participation, and effort. Those are nice, but the object of the games are to WIN! I wish more people would get rabid about Wofford sports and demand excellence. Of couse I am a hige sports fan in general and I have been a "Wofford superfan" since I started going there way back in 1990...maybe I'm being a bit unrealistic in expecting the average person at Wofford to be like me...but this is my opinion that contradicts most of Wofford's fan base.

Second, I'm not really crazy about Gibbs Stadium, at least not as it is now. The stadium is not a disgrace and I realize that there are worse stadiums out there, but as far as FCS stadiums go, I would deem it average at best. I am not advocating for a huge stadium like, say, Montana has. Wofford is a very small school and the capacity of Gibbs is fine. What I don't like is the high school look and feel of the stadium. For instance, I would like to have seating behind the endzones and get rid of the "home" and "visitor" side deal and the kids sliding down the hill. We have a brand new facility opening for basketball and volleyball that is a major upgrade over the old one. We have pretty good baseball and soccer facilities for our level, and even though I don't particularly care for this sport, an excellent tennis facility. I would like to see some upgrades to the football stadium, particularly now since the local high school team we let use the stadium is now getting its own field and Gibbs is about to become Wofford's alone. No need for a college only stadium to look high schoolish!

Apparently all it would take is an email to Mr. Jerry Richardson.