PDA

View Full Version : SouthernPigskins' SoCon Preseason Position Rankings: Quarterback

The Cats
August 12th, 2017, 07:05 AM
SouthernPigskin.com also ranked the top five QBs in the Socon.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-preseason-position-rankings-quarterback/

5. Brandon Goodson - Wofford

4. Domique Allen - The Citadel

3. Tyrie Adams - Western Carolina

2. Alejandro Bennifield - Chattanooga

1. Devlin Hodges - Samford

Thoughts.... Disagreements?

Milktruck74
August 12th, 2017, 08:53 AM
This is a hard one. There are so many more intangibles at the QB spot than the others and how important are they to their team. Like Allen, he is a solid QB in that system (how would he fare in a pro set?), but Citadel has built a plug and play system...so the next guy can come in a do the same. This isn't a knock on Allen (rather a credit to the Cit Coaches), that is just the most glaring example of my point above...how important are they to their team? Jacob Huesman's Junior year, we were in serious trouble if he got hurt...he was ALL we had... So with that in mind, I think Hodges at 1 is a good call, how would Samford look without him? I am excited to see what AB can do with some guidance from Arth....he should have a great year.

PaladinNation
August 12th, 2017, 09:41 AM
ugh! Just goes to show how far down Furman and its players have gone in the minds of sports media, and coaches for that matter.

The obvious whiff is PJ Blazejowski, no mention at all. Blaze is setup for his senior season being his best season. The new Furman offense appears to be perfect for him.

The knock on Blaze isn't talent it's playing in control and being consistent in his passing. This guy really needed some new coaching around him, and it appears Chronic is the perfect coach for Blaze.

PJ has a history of playing well against Wofford, I would look for a similar performance to his performance in the second game last season against The Citadel, 202 yards passing 1 touchdown, 40 yards rushing 1 touchdown.

If PJ can get off to a hot start against the Terriers he could be the most dangerous dual threat QB in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
August 12th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I expect Blazejowski to thrive in this offense. He was asked to do too much in Sorrells offense.

Of note, Blazejowski's last two contests against Wofford:

2015: 14-23, 215 yards, 3 touchdowns, 10 rushes for 39 yards
2014: 15-15, 305 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 rushing TD.

Toby
August 16th, 2017, 01:04 PM
QB is the biggest question mark for Mercer replacing 4 year starter John Russ. If the Bears can figure this out, they can compete for the top of the conference. If not, it might be a struggle to finish in the middle of the pack. I like the talent, but think who ever gets the nod is going to need some seasoning.

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2017, 01:35 PM
QB is the biggest question mark for Mercer replacing 4 year starter John Russ. If the Bears can figure this out, they can compete for the top of the conference. If not, it might be a struggle to finish in the middle of the pack. I like the talent, but think who ever gets the nod is going to need some seasoning.

I've said this for years on here, but it is really tough for teams at this level to replace their bell cows. Rarely do I see a team missing a beat, whether that guy was Armanti Edwards, Jayson Foster, Jerome Felton, Jacob Huesman, or Eric Breitenstein. It's just really hard to replace those guys.

Most teams have a "next man up" philosophy, and that's admirable. In most circumstances, the next man up isn't going to be as good as the last man up (or else he would have been the man).

Mercer has to replace both their leading passer and leading rusher not to mention captain.

If I read Mercer's writeup correctly, they have 3 potential options. The most experienced guy didn't play QB at all last year and has 13 career passing attempts (all in 2015). The other two guys are freshmen.

Toby
August 16th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I've said this for years on here, but it is really tough for teams at this level to replace their bell cows. Rarely do I see a team missing a beat, whether that guy was Armanti Edwards, Jayson Foster, Jerome Felton, Jacob Huesman, or Eric Breitenstein. It's just really hard to replace those guys.

Most teams have a "next man up" philosophy, and that's admirable. In most circumstances, the next man up isn't going to be as good as the last man up (or else he would have been the man).

Mercer has to replace both their leading passer and leading rusher not to mention captain.

If I read Mercer's writeup correctly, they have 3 potential options. The most experienced guy didn't play QB at all last year and has 13 career passing attempts (all in 2015). The other two guys are freshmen.

Yep. That's why it is the biggest question mark......

I think Mercer's defense is going to be better this year and they have a couple all conference running backs that were absent or injured in 2016. So that helps. I think the running game will be pretty good. The new QB will also have some great receivers to throw the ball to, so that is a plus.

But your point is correct.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2017, 08:28 PM

BUT... John Russ was a 0-star that NOBODY wanted except Berry, Reinhardt, and Mercer. He wasn't tall enough. He wasn't that fast, didn't really have a very strong arm, and struggled with his accuracy. How hard is THAT to replace? Let's not forget, modern-day Football is all about Recruiting Stars & Measurables!

Toby
August 17th, 2017, 08:55 AM
BUT... John Russ was a 0-star that NOBODY wanted except Berry, Reinhardt, and Mercer. He wasn't tall enough. He wasn't that fast, didn't really have a very strong arm, and struggled with his accuracy. How hard is THAT to replace? Let's not forget, modern-day Football is all about Recruiting Stars & Measurables!

Yep. A lot of 0-star freshmen nobodies set the NCAA record for wins for a first year program and then had the nerve to compete in the SoCon. Someone forgot to tell them they had no stars or measurables.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2017, 10:56 AM
That doesn't respond to a thing I said.

Russ was a good player for Mercer. Any Bears fan will recognize that replacing his production level will not be easy.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Brace yourself before you read any further...

It's NOT always about you.

Toby
August 17th, 2017, 03:56 PM

Russ was a good player for Mercer. Any Bears fan will recognize that replacing his production level will not be easy.

I think I agreed. That is what "yep" and "your point is correct" mean. But if you were directing this at someone else, never mind.