PDA

View Full Version : FBS Transfers increase with coaching changes

Milktruck74
August 11th, 2017, 07:41 AM
My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?

GodHelpTheBears
August 11th, 2017, 07:48 AM
My Mocs have had (what seems to me) an unusually large influx of FBS transfers. The last few coaching staffs will have transfers, but usually only two or three a year...an always the right type of kid. They really wouldn't take the "second chance" kid, but rather the local guy that wasn't getting the time they wanted at their first institution. All that said, this season there are 23 kids on the Mocs roster with college time elsewhere. Not saying it is wrong, in fact, I transfered into UTC from elsewhere. Just wondering.....Is this common when there is a coaching change?

I can't speak for others, but in our case we tend to be pretty stringent when it comes to allowing transfers. It's an informal university policy that has held up through different coaches. If it's anything to do with a behavioral or legal issue, we tend not to consider them. Dorial Green-Beckham and Maty Mauk were two recent cases - they had parents in Springfield, full support systems intact and were as low risk as cases like those could be and our university President still publicly said we wouldn't consider admitting them.

In fact, over this offseason we've welcomed three (only two made it to campus, but it's the thought that counts), which is high for us. One grew up in Springfield and turned down playing time at Oklahoma State to come home, the other came from Iowa but grew up in Carrollton, TX, in an area our current coaching staff recruits thoroughly.

The Pud
August 11th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Looks like you guys are reloading for another run this year. Man, you guys have a great defense. Good luck in 2017

PaladinFan
August 11th, 2017, 08:05 AM
I assume that is, in part, to help try to bridge the gap between systems with the coaching change over.

It is not the case with Furman, though. New coaching change and significant roster attrition due to graduation and other reasons. Furman's only "transfers" are from Air Force Prep (there are two), but I'm not really sure how you classify them.

POD Knows
August 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM
NSDU had a coaching shake-up a couple years back and didn't have a lot of transfers, maybe one or two but when you are the Alabama of the FCS, you are able to get only the best high school recruits and NDSU develops those kids in order for them to adapt and grow within the program.

There, that ought to be good for a couple more votes in the obnoxious poll and BTW, I have seen this quote often in Bison circles.

chattownmocs
August 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM
The trend is either guys who are proven ala Bridges, and Orr, or young guys who probably aren't going to play a ton right away anyway. Not a whole lot of older guys who had 3 or 4 years to crack a rotation and just couldnt, or discipline problems. There are some exceptions but a lot of these guys are depth guys. Russ Huesman left a lot of talent.

chattownmocs
August 11th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Looks like you guys are reloading for another run this year. Man, you guys have a great defense. Good luck in 2017

Ssshhhh. Our program is a mess.

Redbird 4th & short
August 11th, 2017, 09:25 AM
When Spack first arrived at ISU, there was a lot of roster turnover because 1) they weren't his guys, and 2) he works his players very hard. So with a "new sheriff in town", I view this as very normal to have high turnover while new coach rebuilds roster .. which takes a good 4 years. So Spack had a lot more FBS transfers (maxed around 12-14 at anyone time .. not per year) up until about 2012, then quickly weened that number down to less than 5 at any one time .. maybe 2 per year.

It should also be noted, very few FBS transfers hit ground running their 1st year at ISU. Most are on 2nd or 3rd string before working their way up, or quitting/pushed out. Couple notable exceptions were Shelby Harris and Tre Roberson. But very few started their 1st game, nor got a lot of reps early.

True story .. Spack had Auburn stud FR RB Michael Dyer in his office begging to accept him .. FR player of year in SEC after getting 1100 yards at 6 ypc. Spack said no. Our RB cupboard was solid but with very little depth at the time 2011-12 .. we could have sure used a good RB in 2012 after our top 3 RBs all got injured or were playing banged up.

JMUNJ08
August 11th, 2017, 11:30 AM
From what I remember, this was a big year of FBS transfers for JMU. Many at positions where more depth was needed after losing key talents to graduation (WR, OL, LB) and places where depth is always welcomed (DL). Not many currently slotted to 100% be the starter as we had good, just untested talent on the roster already. I'm not a fan of a ton of transfers but we'll see how Houston does as he tries to get his guys installed and even out the classes.

UNIFanSince1983
August 11th, 2017, 01:23 PM
NSDU had a coaching shake-up a couple years back and didn't have a lot of transfers, maybe one or two but when you are the Alabama of the FCS, you are able to get only the best high school recruits and NDSU develops those kids in order for them to adapt and grow within the program.

There, that ought to be good for a couple more votes in the obnoxious poll and BTW, I have seen this quote often in Bison circles.

The difference between your change and their change was your coach was an assistant in the system already. Sure he is bound to run things slightly different, but not as much shake up as say bringing in a complete outsider.

KPSUL
August 11th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Sorry, can't help you sort this one out for two reasons: A. UNH doesn't take any FBS transfers. B. UNH never has a coaching change. (Striving for an obnoxious nomination next time)

Wildcat1997
August 11th, 2017, 02:49 PM
ACU had a coaching change this past season and we've brought in quite a few transfers as well. We've brought in 10 FBS transfers this past offseason and a few other JUCO and D2 kids. The good thing is though is this won't be a yearly thing, we're just doing it to shore up thin positions like DB and OL.

jmufan999
August 11th, 2017, 04:34 PM

yes, very common. hard to change a culture overnight. even if the culture is good, you want your own guys. i think it's especially true if you're changing schemes. going from a 4-3 to 3-4 (or vice versa) is a huge change and will require different body types. going from triple option to spread will require way different athletes. as a coach, you can't wait a few years for all the freshmen to mature. you need some "veterans" to help speed up the transition, and/or even out your recruiting classes.

jmufan999
August 11th, 2017, 04:36 PM
as a side note, i always find it odd when people say they don't like transfers. why? who cares how you get someone? they're still picking your school. do you get mad at your wife because you weren't her first boyfriend? go get as many transfers as you want, knock yourself out.

Schism55
August 11th, 2017, 04:57 PM
I c wut you did there. xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
August 11th, 2017, 05:05 PM

It's what Grass did. After the fiasco last season we pushed hard on the high schoolers and only took two FBS guys. I guess it's just how the coaches are trying to fill the rosters to fit their plans and get a start.

Not sure how many transfers we were taking before Clark/Grass, but this year is a definite drop off on transfers.

We even had some (Al Harris thankfully) leave.

PAllen
August 11th, 2017, 05:51 PM
It depends on the situation. Sometimes a new coach doesn't wants to bring in folks who fit his scheme rather than try to make it work with the last coaches players. School, league, and coach specific philosophies play a part too. There are usually more transfers when a coach takes over a failing program than when a coach is replacing one that's been successful and moved up.

chattownmocs
August 11th, 2017, 05:54 PM
It's what Grass did. After the fiasco last season we pushed hard on the high schoolers and only took two FBS guys. I guess it's just how the coaches are trying to fill the rosters to fit their plans and get a start.

Not sure how many transfers we were taking before Clark/Grass, but this year is a definite drop off on transfers.

We even had some (Al Harris thankfully) leave.

Grass takes character issues and older players who never did Crack the rotation. That's not what arth has done at all.

JSUSoutherner
August 11th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Grass takes character issues and older players who never did Crack the rotation. That's not what arth has done at all.
Arth didn't need anymore players with issues. He inherited enough as is.

Bisonoline
August 12th, 2017, 04:58 PM

I think it all depends if the new coach runs the same style O and D. And the staff might have different philosophies. Thats always a tricky thing trying to run and O with other coaches players. What are the players going to think when the new coach comes in and he a run first offense guy as opposed to an air university style of play.

walliver
August 14th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Huesman was the only Chattanooga coach in recent memory who didn't load up on JUCO's and FBS failures. I suspect that this is because he went to Chatty from a successful FCS program and understands how FCS works.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Huesman was the only Chattanooga coach in recent memory who didn't load up on JUCO's and FBS failures. I suspect that this is because he went to Chatty from a successful FCS program and understands how FCS works.

Lol, he brought in transfers. Keep thinking Arth is clueless though. That narrative won't last long.