PDA

View Full Version : UD gets Wisconsin RB

ChickenMan
January 31st, 2007, 07:58 AM
to go with UConn LB...

http://newszap.com/articles/2007/01/30/dm/central_delaware/sports/dsnspt01.txt

Jerry Butler... RB who was also recruited by some schools to play DB... will have three years eligibility left... don't know if he will play DB or RB at UD

High School: Rated by Rivals.com as one of the top 25 players in Pennsylvania and one of the top 70 athletes in the nation … rated among top 20 players in Pennsylvania by SuperPrep … Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News Player of the Year … Maxwell Award winner … nominated for Big 33 All-Star game … team MVP and team captain … rushed for 1,759 yards on 172 carries as a senior … career rushing totals of 3,350 yards and 40 TDs … also ran track and was city of Philadelphia 100-meter champion … football coach was Ron Cohen

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/fb/bios/bio.html?athid=5744&deptid=111

jmuroller
January 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
How many transfers is that now?

AppGuy04
January 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM
reason for leaving?

ChickenMan
January 31st, 2007, 08:19 AM
Three... DE from Notre Dame, LB UConn, RB Wisconsin...

ChickenMan
January 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
reason for leaving?

probably due to the fact that Wisconsin's starting RB... PJ Hill was 3rd team All-American and also a Freshman

YoUDeeMan
January 31st, 2007, 08:32 AM
How many transfers is that now?

At least one more than if Smith had decided to go to JMU. :nod:

bluehenbillk
January 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM
There's already a 4th on the way too supposedly, on the defensive side of the ball again.

"L.C., I feel your pain"

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM
reason for leaving?

You have seen PJ Hill play, right? With him at Wisconsin, being a 3rd string RB means you don't have a prayer of seeing the field.

AppGuy04
January 31st, 2007, 10:35 AM
You have seen PJ Hill play, right? With him at Wisconsin, being a 3rd string RB means you don't have a prayer of seeing the field.

Sure, but there could be academics, just asking

ChickenMan
January 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Sure, but there could be academics, just asking

If he had any academic issues... he won't get into UD.

Mr. C
January 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM
So instead of backing up P.J. Hill, now he's going to sit on the bench behind Omar Cuff. Might be a good idea for him to try defense. By the way, this kid's position coach at Wisconsin would have been I-AA RB legend John Settle of Appalachian State.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
So instead of backing up P.J. Hill, now he's going to sit on the bench behind Omar Cuff.

True, but at Wisconsin the writing was on the wall that he was going to be a career back-up. As Cuff will be a Sr., at least at Delaware he has a fair chance to win the starting spot for his Jr. and Sr. years.

HENJOHN
January 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
So instead of backing up P.J. Hill, now he's going to sit on the bench behind Omar Cuff. Might be a good idea for him to try defense. By the way, this kid's position coach at Wisconsin would have been I-AA RB legend John Settle of Appalachian State.

Cuff is a senior though and Hill will be a Soph, so there is some difference in down the road playing time. I would hope our coaches use Butler at times this coming season even with Cuff, trying to get him in open space, spelling Omar, return some kicks etc.

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
So instead of backing up P.J. Hill, now he's going to sit on the bench behind Omar Cuff.
FWIW, Omar only has one year left and he's had injury problems.

mcveyrl
January 31st, 2007, 12:58 PM
Any chance he could help them out at DB this year but still learn some of the offense for next year?

SunCoastBlueHen
January 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Any chance he could help them out at DB this year but still learn some of the offense for next year?

I would guess that most Hens fans wouldn't mind seeing that. We could certainly use some help in the Defensive backfield.

I guess it all depends on what the kids wants to do. If he plays DB and does well, he could find himself married to the position.

I have not read anywhere that he is happier on the offensive side of the ball, so who knows?

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 01:13 PM

Wisconsin tried him at DB for about a week in Fall Practice before the start of last season but moved him back. No reason stated why he moved back. I don't believe he's ever played the position either so it's not like he has some background in it.

From a RB perspective, after Cuff we have a highly touted sophomore in Bradley and a RS freshman. With Butler that's 4 RB's for a one-back offense where the top back gets 20-25 touches a game and the backup maybe 10. Having Butler may skew that a bit but it's fine to leave him there - after Cuff graduates Butler and Bradley will need to share the playing time so we need to see if he can actually play.

andy7171
January 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Three... DE from Notre Dame, LB UConn, RB Wisconsin...
Looks like the UD coaching staff paid close attention to the ESPN analysis during the I-AA playoff coverage this December! I-A transfers equals success!:rolleyes:

JMU2004
January 31st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Looks like the UD coaching staff paid close attention to the ESPN analysis during the I-AA playoff coverage this December! I-A transfers equals success!:rolleyes:

Most top FCS schools rely on FBS transfers..... UD just has a serious need as the cupboards appeared empty on the Defense.

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Most top FCS schools rely on FBS transfers..... UD just has a serious need as the cupboards appeared empty on the Defense.

Wait a minute, are you commenting on a Delaware thread, and not only commenting, but making disparaging remarks about Delaware? If only your caazone namesake knew! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: :nono: :nono:

MR. CHICKEN
January 31st, 2007, 03:00 PM
TRANSFER U...................IS BACK......:hyped: ...BRAWK!

Mr. C
January 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM
FWIW, Omar only has one year left and he's had injury problems.
I know Omar Cuff is a senior and I know he had his share of injuries last year. But if Cuff is healthy (as most of us in the FCS would hope, considering what a fun player he is to watch), no one else is going to get much playing time next year in the Blue Hen backfield. I would think that Delaware is pretty well stocked back there in the future, too, from what others have posted. You just wonder if K.C. Keeler is thinking of this transfer more in terms of defense.

citdog
January 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
He got so scared when he looked on the badgers 2007 schedule and saw The Citadel that he had to get the hell out of there!:smiley_wi

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM
I know Omar Cuff is a senior and I know he had his share of injuries last year. But if Cuff is healthy (as most of us in the FCS would hope, considering what a fun player he is to watch), no one else is going to get much playing time next year in the Blue Hen backfield. I would think that Delaware is pretty well stocked back there in the future, too, from what others have posted. You just wonder if K.C. Keeler is thinking of this transfer more in terms of defense.

Cuff will certainly be the center piece but if you look back historically under Keeler the 2nd string RB typically touches the ball around 10 times a game - Cuff is only superman against JMU - he needs some rest during the game (which unfortunately could be when our defense is allowing incredibly long, time consuming drives, but that's another story). And this transfer has never played DB, even in high school, so targetting this guy for that spot would be odd to say the least.

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 03:22 PM
I know Omar Cuff is a senior and I know he had his share of injuries last year. But if Cuff is healthy (as most of us in the FCS would hope, considering what a fun player he is to watch), no one else is going to get much playing time next year in the Blue Hen backfield.
Last year Cuff had 124 carries, Bradley and Michaud combined for 126 carries. Again, take it for what it's worth, but compared to the time he'd see in the next three years at Wisconsin.... :twocents:

Tribefan
January 31st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Jonathan Smith is a decent linebacker. He actually won the starting job on the weakside at UConn back in August, but once Ryan Henegan came back he lost the job. The year before last he saw some work as a DE on 3rd and long or obvious passing downs.

JMU2004
January 31st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Wait a minute, are you commenting on a Delaware thread, and not only commenting, but making disparaging remarks about Delaware? If only your caazone namesake knew! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I was actually defending UD there, but whatever..... UD fans were the FIRST to say that UD needed serious help on D.

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
I was actually defending UD there, but whatever..... UD fans were the FIRST to say that UD needed serious help on D.

So this is "defending" UD...

UD just has a serious need as the cupboards appeared empty on the Defense.

Yeah, that's a ringing endorsement of the program. I'll forward it to the marketing department at UD to see if they could make next year "The Year the Cupboard is Empty" - we'll have trouble handling the surge in ticket applications but that's a problem we'll have to live with I guess. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

YoUDeeMan
January 31st, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'll forward it to the marketing department at UD to see if they could make next year "The Year the Cupboard is Empty" - we'll have trouble handling the surge in ticket applications but that's a problem we'll have to live with I guess. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

We'd need a little Hollywod help to "sex up" the title:

"The Year the Cupboard is Bare".

Whittle down the cheerleader outfits to a square foot of material and have the talent challenged players go without shirts in the pregame warm ups. :rolleyes:

Perhaps JMU2004 was just a little frazzeled knowing Cuff will be back this year - with help. :eek: xlolx