PDA

View Full Version : Dom Izzo's Top 25

SU DOG
August 9th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I thought sure someone from NDSU would post this, BUT since they didn't here it is. I think this is interesting because it is certainly a bit different from others we have seen.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/doms-2017-preseason-fcs-poll/

TheKingpin28
August 9th, 2017, 08:23 PM
I thought sure someone from NDSU would post this, BUT since they didn't here it is. I think this is interesting because it is certainly a bit different from others we have seen.

Out of everyone who covers the FCS, Dom and Jeff are two of the best. We are blessed to have this tandem. I see nothing "wrong" with his poll as anyone below 15 or so becomes shooting from the hip. I can see why he would put NDSU above JMU and NAU in the top 25 (a healthy Cookus is bar none the best QB in the FCS right now), but the USeD one has me trying to figure out the argument for that. Coach Nielsen is a solid coach and much respect for him as I had a buddy start at MLB as a true freshmen in 2010 at UM-Duluth and he enjoyed playing for him, so I believe that if USeD is to ever turn it around for FCS, it will be from him otherwise I doubt they ever get over that hump until the field is completely watered down.

jmufan999
August 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM

i mean... it's on Bison Media Zone.... so.... you know. what else was he going to say? i think i've heard an interview or a podcast or something with this guy, and he's really good. i would put the reigning national champ #1 pretty much every season unless something REALLY drastic happened, but eh.... not that big of a deal.

Longhorn
August 9th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Yes, he's playing to the home crowd with his prediction. Fortunately in FCS it's settled on the field. I wonder, when JMU bursts NDSU's bubble again, what his excuse will be this year? xthumbsupx

Personally, I don't think NDSU (assuming the Bison make the playoffs) should be placed on the opposite side of the bracket from JMU. I think the Bison should be set-up to play in Harrisonburg forsaking NDSU's famed home field advantage. Fair is fair, and its about time the Bison prove they've got what it takes to go on the road in the FCS playoffs.

jmufan999
August 9th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Personally, I don't think NDSU (assuming the Bison make the playoffs) should be placed on the opposite side of the bracket from JMU. I think the Bison should be set-up to play in Harrisonburg forsaking NDSU's famed home field advantage. Fair is fair, and its about time the Bison prove they've got what it takes to go on the road in the FCS playoffs.

i agree that i'd love to see them finally play a road playoff game. it's been unreal that it hasn't happened since they've been FCS (right?). on the other hand, blame the rest of the MVFC that just can't seem to get it done during the regular season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 9th, 2017, 09:04 PM
i agree that i'd love to see them finally play a road playoff game. it's been unreal that it hasn't happened since they've been FCS (right?). on the other hand, blame the rest of the MVFC that just can't seem to get it done during the regular season.

2010 they played at Montana State (won) and EWU (lost)

UNIFanSince1983
August 9th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Finally someone sane who has no UNI anywhere to be found!

Longhorn
August 9th, 2017, 09:38 PM
2010 they played at Montana State (won) and EWU (lost)

Unquestionably NDSU has earned the right in past years to play most of their playoff games at home, but if the 2017 season (and rankings hold true) the Bison's seven year run of home playoff games should come to an end. And just think of the promo slants that a NDSU vs. JMU matchup on JMU's home field would produce! The Bison would be looking for payback to avenge last year's loss, etc. Heck, ESPN might even elevate the game to prime-time TV, which would do both school's and the FCS brand a lot of good. Of course, if JMU smoked NDSU in Harrisonburg ala the way SHSU got blown up, the Bison's rep might be severely damaged.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 10:30 PM
What else is he suppose to say.

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Stats votes can be published. I was wrong and apologize.

BisonFan02
August 9th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I am a Stats voter and my radio show reaches FAR wider than Dom Izzo's does. I don't put my poll out for everyone to see because the fella who puts the STATS poll together asks us NOT to, I think this is the LAST week Mr. Izzo has a vote,

Lamesauce.

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Lamesauce.

Well if it ain't true then I'll start a thread each week here with mine..

dewey
August 9th, 2017, 11:34 PM
I am a Stats voter and my radio show reaches FAR wider than Dom Izzo's does. I don't put my poll out for everyone to see because the fella who puts the STATS poll together asks us NOT to, I think this is the LAST week Mr. Izzo has a vote,

Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo post there Stats top 25 poll nearly every week and have done that for years.

For those that think Dom only voted NDSU #1 for homer reasons Jeff Kolpack voted JMU #1.

Still it is a preseason poll.

Dewey

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo post there Stats top 25 poll nearly every week and have done that for years.

For those that think Dom only voted NDSU #1 for homer reasons Jeff Kolpack voted JMU #1.

Still it is a preseason poll.

Dewey

Well then MY understanding of the rules must be different, I'll begin doing the same.

dewey
August 9th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Well then MY understanding of the rules must be different, I'll begin doing the same.

Out of curiosity what rules does STATS put on the voters?

Dewey

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:41 PM
PM me and I'll tell you.

JSUSoutherner
August 10th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Fair placement on JSU. Can't really argue.... yet.
NDSU is a homer pick IMO but as has been said in other poll threads, it's all debateable and speculative and doesn't really matter.

chattownmocs
August 10th, 2017, 06:30 AM
It's just hard for people to believe but James Madison kicked NDSUs ass in every facet of the game.

dewey
August 10th, 2017, 07:23 AM
When I watched the Bison Media Blog where Dom and Jeff talk about preseason #1 Jeff goes with the philosophy of the defending champions are #1 until they lose while Dom said he is projecting it towards the end if this season.

I am not defending either one just saying why each one voted the way they did.

Dewey

sdsuceegrad
August 10th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I actually like this poll better than the other polls that came out...I probably would've put JMU at #1 and NDSU at #2, but I get it. Outside of that, I really don't have any arguments. UND might be a little bit too high, as I could see them at #8.

FOOTBALL SEASON HURRY UP!!

kalm
August 10th, 2017, 07:40 AM
A couple of big predictions...

Stick, Studsrud and whichever running back at the Citadel takes the snap are poised to have big years? They don't need to but I wouldn't lump them in with the others in his top 8.

Both USD's in the top 25?

I think Dom did some nice work here otherwise.

POD Knows
August 10th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Finally someone sane who has no UNI anywhere to be found!Yea, he has San Diego over UNI, do you honestly think that San Freaking Diego would be able to beat UNI.

Bisonator
August 10th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Dom's pretty fair except for his obsession with UND.

BisonTru
August 10th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Lamesauce.

This.

If it's true that voters can't post their votes that's just stupid, IMO. I and many FCS fans already suspect poor uninformed voting from the poll. More voters revealing their poll and taking constructive criticism will only make it better.

Daytripper
August 10th, 2017, 11:43 AM
This.

If it's true that voters can't post their votes that's just stupid, IMO. I and many FCS fans already suspect poor uninformed voting from the poll. More voters revealing their poll and taking constructive criticism will only make it better.

It's what makes the AGS poll legitimate. We hold each other accountable for our votes.

ngineer
August 10th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Nice to see all of the polls have Lehigh in a consistent range. I think a fair starting point. September 2 cannot get here fast enough!

BEAR
August 10th, 2017, 08:08 PM
UCA...22.....xeyebrowx

NDSUtk
August 13th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Yes, he's playing to the home crowd with his prediction. Fortunately in FCS it's settled on the field. I wonder, when JMU bursts NDSU's bubble again, what his excuse will be this year? xthumbsupx

Personally, I don't think NDSU (assuming the Bison make the playoffs) should be placed on the opposite side of the bracket from JMU. I think the Bison should be set-up to play in Harrisonburg forsaking NDSU's famed home field advantage. Fair is fair, and its about time the Bison prove they've got what it takes to go on the road in the FCS playoffs.LOL without a snap of football being played you already are saying that NDSU can't be ranked number one or two. Getting that in early. I guess you can go back to this in 3 months if you need :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
August 13th, 2017, 02:52 PM
It's just hard for people to believe but James Madison kicked NDSUs ass in every facet of the game.

They certainly were the better team on the field that day. That's all that counts.

Not having JMU #1 preseason reeks of being a homer or not paying attention to what JMU is bringing back. All due respect to Bison fans, but they are preseason #1 if you take your heart out of the voting process. NDSU may be #1A, but for now the best they should be is #2.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2017, 02:53 PM
They certainly were the better team on the field that day. That's all that counts.

which is saying something considering where the field was

Gangtackle11
August 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM
There also isn't a 12 spot difference between # 3 SDSU & #15 Nova. The fact that Illinois State is higher tells all you need to know about Mr. Izzo & his FCS objectivity.

Buffoon with MVFC bias. I hope it rained on his recent honeymoon. xpeacex

TennBison
August 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM
NDSU #1 and JMU #2, or vise versa it makes no difference. If those two teams are the last ones standing going to the championship game who is ranked above the other does not mean squat. I would gladly take being ranked #2 all year as long as after Frisco we were ranked #1. Also it makes no difference where the Bison play, they actually have a better record on the road the last 7 years than they do at home.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2017, 04:26 PM
There also isn't a 12 spot difference between # 3 SDSU & #15 Nova. The fact that Illinois State is higher tells all you need to know about Mr. Izzo & his FCS objectivity.

this is pretty much the same way I feel about Mr. Izzo's picks...... he's either biased or senile

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Unquestionably NDSU has earned the right in past years to play most of their playoff games at home, but if the 2017 season (and rankings hold true) the Bison's seven year run of home playoff games should come to an end. And just think of the promo slants that a NDSU vs. JMU matchup on JMU's home field would produce! The Bison would be looking for payback to avenge last year's loss, etc. Heck, ESPN might even elevate the game to prime-time TV, which would do both school's and the FCS brand a lot of good. Of course, if JMU smoked NDSU in Harrisonburg ala the way SHSU got blown up, the Bison's rep might be severely damaged.

NDSU would never get blown out by that score last year.....

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU #1 and JMU #2, or vise versa it makes no difference. If those two teams are the last ones standing going to the championship game who is ranked above the other does not mean squat. I would gladly take being ranked #2 all year as long as after Frisco we were ranked #1. Also it makes no difference where the Bison play, they actually have a better record on the road the last 7 years than they do at home.

This here.

Bisonoline
August 13th, 2017, 09:36 PM

Not having JMU #1 preseason reeks of being a homer or not paying attention to what JMU is bringing back. All due respect to Bison fans, but they are preseason #1 if you take your heart out of the voting process. NDSU may be #1A, but for now the best they should be is #2.

I agree for the most part but I really dont think is a homer call. These guys pick the winners and losers of the NDSU game every week and sometimes they have called for them to lose.

milleniumkat
August 13th, 2017, 10:10 PM
It's what makes the AGS poll legitimate. We hold each other accountable for our votes.

So then why do real elections hold votes in private? So that voters are able to make decisions without external pressure. It's called democracy. you guys are describing the voting process in Hussein's Iraq. lol

"Do the things, win the points"

BisonTru
August 13th, 2017, 11:54 PM
So then why do real elections hold votes in private? So that voters are able to make decisions without external pressure. It's called democracy. you guys are describing the voting process in Hussein's Iraq. lol

The votes are private, but there is nothing against sharing your vote. Just like you can vote in our democracy in private, but you can also share that with others and hear their support or criticism. Generally it makes you more informed about any issue if you open your mind and listen to opposing views.

Thumper 76
August 14th, 2017, 01:56 AM

I agree with Nova and SDSU, last year. This year is a different year and SDSU returns more of what made them good compared to what Nova brings back. Including the head coach. I know it's set up to be an easy transition but a lot of times those things don't go as planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
August 14th, 2017, 07:38 AM

I think if you look at any notion of bias towards or against the MVFC, the actual results would strongly suggest the bias is against MVFC. Just look at the Massey Composite since 2011 and compare to almost any subjective poll, including the FCS selection committee. It reveals how much bias there has been against most of MVFC over the years.

So the fact that some are making so much of the fact that a local pollster picks the 5 time national champs as #1 over the 1 time national champs ... is really detached from the reality. The same guy significantly over-ranked UND.

When I get some time to crunch a spreadsheet, I'll show the Massey Composite (of 35+ polls, including all the subjective ones) against the FCP coaches Poll, the Stats poll, and then the selection committee. I posted the SDSU final rankings since 2012 the other day ... prime example of what happens to most MVFC teams in national polls versus something has objective as the Massey Composite .. the regional/conference bias was blatant 2011 to 2013. And while the disparity between objective polls and subjective polls have closed somewhat since 2013, there is still a gap against MVFC.

JMU lost 6.2 starters from their offense, including their ridiculous WR/PR who averaged 28 yards per punt return. NDSU defense returns a lot PLUS has injured all american / NFL draft prospect Deluca back .. it is NOT hard to imagine a 5 time national champ edging back ahead of 1 time national champ JMU give what each has coming back.

Bisonator
August 14th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Why wasn't NDSU preseason #1 in 2012 or 2014? Apparently there was a lot of homer bias in those polls. I guess I don't get that worked up over preseason rankings.

milleniumkat
August 14th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Why wasn't NDSU preseason #1 in 2012 or 2014? Apparently there was a lot of homer bias in those polls. I guess I don't get that worked up over preseason rankings.

this guy gets it

jmufan999
August 14th, 2017, 04:12 PM

in which poll were you not #1 those years? the thread is about Dom Izzo. there is absolutely no way you weren't #1 in his poll in 2012 and 2014. also, I don't know that Gangtackle was really "worked up" about anything, he was just making a comment.

Bisonator
August 14th, 2017, 05:44 PM
in which poll were you not #1 those years? the thread is about Dom Izzo. there is absolutely no way you weren't #1 in his poll in 2012 and 2014. also, I don't know that Gangtackle was really "worked up" about anything, he was just making a comment.
The STATS preseason poll of which we are discussing. I don't even know if Dom did the STATS poll in those years. It was more about his comment that JMU deserves to be #1 or it is homer bias or uninformed voter. IMO the past champ doesn't necessarily have to be the preseason #1 the following year and apparently others feel the same way!