PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel turning half its stadium into condos/offices haha!?!

Bucs2016
August 7th, 2017, 06:19 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-plan-for-johnson-hagood-stadium-calls-for-seats-office/article_7227d2ba-7b88-11e7-a691-1ba47cdceb76.html

Jesus Christ...talk about shameless greed! Citadel is turning half its stadium into condos and retail & office space! Sad. Citdog im so sorry. Modern downtown Charleston is 99% Yankee transplants already who are dumb enough to pay $2000k a month for a 600 sq ft apartment. Now the Yankee invaders will be doing business in and living in (literally) grand old Johnson Hagood Stadium. Their conquest continues haha!!!

citdog
August 7th, 2017, 06:43 PM
I know you ladson southern boys suffer from a YUGE inferiority complex vis a vis The Citadel and those of us who actually live and play betwixt the Ashley and the Cooper while y'all toil away in obscurity with the white trash off of I-26. You should still report the truth. Isn't one of the rules of the FATHER of the JEWISH carpenter you worship require you to do so? When completed The General will seat 17,900 which is almost 4 times what your embarrassment seats.

The S.C. National Guard already occupies office space on the west side of Johnson Hagood, where renovation was completed in 2005.
Inside the stadium, the new plan calls for an initial 3,800 seats on the east side, which would bring the stadium's capacity to about 15,500. That's down from 21,000 before the aging east side structure was demolished.
The new plan also includes possible future addition of 2,400 seats on the east side, if needed.

Bucs2016
August 7th, 2017, 07:31 PM
I know you ladson southern boys suffer from a YUGE inferiority complex vis a vis The Citadel and those who us who actually live and play betwixt the Ashley and the Cooper while y'all toil away in obscurity with the white trash off of I-26. You should still report the truth. Isn't one of the rules of the FATHER of the JEWISH carpenter you worship require you to do so? When completed The General will seat 17,900 which is almost 4 times what your embarrassment seats.

The S.C. National Guard already occupies office space on the west side of Johnson Hagood, where renovation was completed in 2005.
Inside the stadium, the new plan calls for an initial 3,800 seats on the east side, which would bring the stadium's capacity to about 15,500. That's down from 21,000 before the aging east side structure was demolished.
The new plan also includes possible future addition of 2,400 seats on the east side, if needed.

You forgot all the Yankee liberal hipsters who will live in the stadium with their Hillary 2016 posters and tofu parties. Thats who will be renting those apartments.

You're right our stadium sucks. But we havent considered turning it into an apartment complex yet. Hell maybe we'll just let Holiday Inn build a big ass hotel there and hang bleachers on the side! Yall had the plan all along that we should follow!

POD Knows
August 7th, 2017, 07:37 PM
You forgot all the Yankee liberal hipsters who will live in the stadium with their Hillary 2016 posters and tofu parties. Thats who will be renting those apartments.

You're right our stadium sucks. But we havent considered turning it into an apartment complex yet. Hell maybe we'll just let Holiday Inn build a big ass hotel there and hang bleachers on the side! Yall had the plan all along that we should follow!This Yankee just found his retirement home, go Union.

TheRevSFA
August 7th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I know you ladson southern boys suffer from a YUGE inferiority complex vis a vis The Citadel and those who us who actually live and play betwixt the Ashley and the Cooper while y'all toil away in obscurity with the white trash off of I-26. You should still report the truth. Isn't one of the rules of the FATHER of the JEWISH carpenter you worship require you to do so? When completed The General will seat 17,900 which is almost 4 times what your embarrassment seats.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25753&stc=1

citdog
August 7th, 2017, 07:47 PM

You're right our stadium sucks. But we havent considered turning it into an apartment complex yet. Hell maybe we'll just let Holiday Inn build a big ass hotel there and hang bleachers on the side! Yall had the plan all along that we should follow!

The immediate vicinity of ladson southern.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/redneck-white-trash-18.jpg

Serpentor
August 7th, 2017, 08:05 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-plan-for-johnson-hagood-stadium-calls-for-seats-office/article_7227d2ba-7b88-11e7-a691-1ba47cdceb76.html

Jesus Christ...talk about shameless greed! Citadel is turning half its stadium into condos and retail & office space! Sad. Citdog im so sorry. Modern downtown Charleston is 99% Yankee transplants already who are dumb enough to pay $2000k a month for a 600 sq ft apartment. Now the Yankee invaders will be doing business in and living in (literally) grand old Johnson Hagood Stadium. Their conquest continues haha!!!

Jeez, who do they think they are, Mizzou?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article157713584.html

cx500d
August 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Jeez, who do they think they are, Mizzou?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article157713584.html

Exactly, whats next, a track around the field?

NorthChuckSouth
August 7th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I know you ladson southern boys suffer from a YUGE inferiority complex vis a vis The Citadel and those of us who actually live and play betwixt the Ashley and the Cooper while y'all toil away in obscurity with the white trash off of I-26. You should still report the truth. Isn't one of the rules of the FATHER of the JEWISH carpenter you worship require you to do so? When completed The General will seat 17,900 which is almost 4 times what your embarrassment seats.

Yeah your stadium really "sweeps" ours away
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postandcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/bf/bbf3f914-39b6-5a77-aea6-c565ca781a04/5806412072554.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C807

citdog
August 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Yeah your stadium really "sweeps" ours away
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postandcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/bf/bbf3f914-39b6-5a77-aea6-c565ca781a04/5806412072554.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C807

More CLASSY behavior by fake christians. You'll STILL have to ACTUALLY come to CHARLESTON to play us.

DFW HOYA
August 7th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Hey, it's not like they build their stadium on the roof of a building or anything...

NorthChuckSouth
August 7th, 2017, 09:01 PM

I laughed a lot harder than I should have

Bucs2016
August 8th, 2017, 06:41 AM
More CLASSY behavior by fake christians. You'll STILL have to ACTUALLY come to CHARLESTON to play us.

Hmmm. CSU is in Charleston County right?

Bucs2016
August 8th, 2017, 06:44 AM

And we'll win for 5th time in a row. But now the Yankee hipsters living inside yalls stadium will be watching. Maybe they'll replace the Confederate flags at JHS with some LGBT pride flags or Liz Warren 2020 posters!

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2017, 07:39 AM
As much of a bastion of confederate glory that citdog makes the Citadel out to be, I bet it really gets his panties in a twist to see so many yankee hipsters taking over his dixieland. Perhaps mexico will be far enough south to where the yankees won't go.

WestCoastAggie
August 8th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Exactly, whats next, a track around the field?

You gotta have somewhere for the hipsters to walk and do their yoga.

Catamount87
August 8th, 2017, 09:28 AM
All kidding and joking aside, this is a pretty good idea. Look at almost any big stadium, they often sit idle with the only activity being building staff and maybe team or department staff using the office space. With this idea, they are a) creating a reoccurring monthly revenue stream for the facility which can greatly help cover the debt service and maybe make a profit, b) it creates activity around the facility and greatly enhances it's usefulness, c) it creates another connection between the neighborhood/city/town with the university and to the Not to mention it takes a potentially bland facility and turns it into something aesthetically beneficial to the surrounding area.

ST_Lawson
August 8th, 2017, 09:37 AM
All kidding and joking aside, this is a pretty good idea. Look at almost any big stadium, they often sit idle with the only activity being building staff and maybe team or department staff using the office space. With this idea, they are a) creating a reoccurring monthly revenue stream for the facility which can greatly help cover the debt service and maybe make a profit, b) it creates activity around the facility and greatly enhances it's usefulness, c) it creates another connection between the neighborhood/city/town with the university and to the Not to mention it takes a potentially bland facility and turns it into something aesthetically beneficial to the surrounding area.

I agree. I see no problem with making it a multi-use facility like that. I know this is somewhat different, since it's offices and apartments that would be rented out to people/businesses outside the university (I think...that's what it sounds like), but other schools have been using parts of the stadiums as offices and stuff for a while. JSU has dorms attached to one side of their stands, and Florida State has their registrar's office, admissions office, and a couple of academic buildings as part of their stadium. If it allows for a school to build a nicer stadium than they'd normally be able to afford and it doesn't interfere with the gameday atmosphere, I don't see a problem with it.

cx500d
August 8th, 2017, 09:58 AM
This Yankee just found his retirement home, go Union.

You should buy the condo next to Shannon Faulkner's condo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Hmmm. CSU is in Charleston County right?

25 miles from Charleston. Notice on the map the location of The Citadel.

http://www.sciway.net/i/charleston-map-thumbnail.jpg

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 10:28 AM
And we'll win for 5th time in a row. But now the Yankee hipsters living inside yalls stadium will be watching. Maybe they'll replace the Confederate flags at JHS with some LGBT pride flags or Liz Warren 2020 posters!

I don't care where they live as long as they buy a ticket to the ONLY college football team to play in Charleston, SC.

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 10:30 AM
You gotta have somewhere for the hipsters to walk and do their yoga.

Is that the purpose of the track around Aggie Stadium? Having a track means = NOT a football stadium.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0e/c0/12/0ec0127e6638f5dd20a816b2268f65d0.jpg

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Is that the purpose of the track around Aggie Stadium? Having a track means = NOT a football stadium.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0e/c0/12/0ec0127e6638f5dd20a816b2268f65d0.jpg

Pretty sure having condos is venturing into #notastadium territory. I need others from the COI to weigh in though..

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I agree. I see no problem with making it a multi-use facility like that. I know this is somewhat different, since it's offices and apartments that would be rented out to people/businesses outside the university (I think...that's what it sounds like), but other schools have been using parts of the stadiums as offices and stuff for a while. JSU has dorms attached to one side of their stands, and Florida State has their registrar's office, admissions office, and a couple of academic buildings as part of their stadium. If it allows for a school to build a nicer stadium than they'd normally be able to afford and it doesn't interfere with the gameday atmosphere, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm an urban planner and I am still trying to figure out how this will work.

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I'm an urban planner and I am still trying to figure out how this will work.

You should look into how difficult it is to get a permit to build ANYTHING on the peninsula of Charleston.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2017, 11:50 AM
You should look into how difficult it is to get a permit to build ANYTHING on the peninsula of Charleston.

Oh I believe it...all those old east coast cities are like that. Sorry for Citdogs sanity "Old SOUTHURN Cities"

Also confusing to me is what is Citdog? So far from what I can tell...you grew up in the south, went to the Cit but live in Montana?

Is that accurate?

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Oh I believe it...all those old east coast cities are like that. Sorry for Citdogs sanity "Old SOUTHURN Cities"

Also confusing to me is what is Citdog? So far from what I can tell...you grew up in the south, went to the Cit but live in Montana?

Is that accurate?

I pulled off the extremely rare "Reverse Carpetbag".

xnodx

Grizalltheway
August 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Huh? Thought you were in a van down by the Clark Fork these days.

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Huh? Thought you were in a van down by the Clark Fork these days.

I would NEVER live in a house that is not built on a foundation. I am from Charleston. NOT Ladson.

Faculty Housing Ladson Southern University.

https://activerain-store.s3.amazonaws.com/image_store/uploads/agents/mobilehomesalesofflorida/files/old%20way.jpg

WestCoastAggie
August 8th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Nah... The Hipsters are too scared to come and gentrify East Greensboro.

SactoHornetFan
August 8th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Still probably easier there than in the Tahoe Regional Basin. TRPA is a flat joke when it comes to breathing the wrong way around the lake.

dgtw
August 8th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Maybe they'll replace the Confederate flags at JHS with some LGBT pride flags!

Maybe they'll use this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170808/b1f1b248107dde314860b60c2f13f9a3.png

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Maybe they'll use this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170808/b1f1b248107dde314860b60c2f13f9a3.png

I have a framed "Distinguished Award" from a furmanite that features that symbol.

cx500d
August 8th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I pulled off the extremely rare "Reverse Carpetbag".

xnodx

You should move to Virginia City....

Bucs2016
August 8th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Haha Ladson Southern. We are in Ladson just as much as Citadel is in James Island. The Military College of James Island.

Im worried about ya Citdog. Its been a disastrous 25 years.

First...Citadel lets women in.
Then...they stop playing Dixie.
Then....Skip Reville.
Then a black president.
THEN gays can marry.
Then the Confederate flag is taken down.
THEN yall lose 4x in a row to CSU.
Now they're gonna let Yankee hipsters live inside JHS.

Im worried about your sanity man.

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Haha Ladson Southern. We are in Ladson just as much as Citadel is in James Island. The Military College of James Island.

Im worried about ya Citdog. Its been a disastrous 25 years.

First...Citadel lets women in.
Then...they stop playing Dixie.
Then....Skip Reville.
Then a black president.
THEN gays can marry.
Then the Confederate flag is taken down.
THEN yall lose 4x in a row to CSU.
Now they're gonna let Yankee hipsters live inside JHS.

Im worried about your sanity man.

The war against Washington City continues. There are things that I am glad my Father did not live to see.

Dixie is still played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMZeh_vmVU

How's Al Parish doing?

Bucs2016
August 8th, 2017, 06:40 PM
The war against Washington City continues. There are things that I am glad my Father did not live to see.

Dixie is still played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMZeh_vmVU

How's Al Parish doing?

He and Skip are sharing a jail cell.

walliver
August 9th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Offices under the stands make sense. The stadium is sitting empty 359 days a year and might as well be used. After all, nuclear weapons were developed under the University of Chicago's stadium (http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-experimental-nuclear-reactor-secretly-built-under-the-university-of-chicago).

Condos would seem somewhat problematic on game days, and make a lot less sense. A separate entrance could be created, but making a quick trip to the BiLo to pick up a bottle of wine before watching the soccer game on TV during the football game could be awkward.

dgtw
August 9th, 2017, 08:48 AM
The guy who runs the Body Farm keeps some of his uh, work, in his offices in Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.

grayghost06
August 9th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Don't really care about auxiliary uses for a stadium, as long as it doesn't take away from the gameday atmosphere. I think they have dorm space under one side of Ohio State's stadium.

Selfishly, I hate the move of taking down the east side of the stadium and replacing it with something much smaller. First off, I hate lopsided stadiums ( including how mine currently looks). One grand side with a small side across the way just screams high school. But more importantly, was hoping that El Cid would rebuild/renovate the other side, so they could host the FCS title game. Charleston would be awesome for that, but pretty sure the NCAA wants a 20k stadium. Thought maybe the city and school could have worked something out that would have benefitted both parties. Oh well.

ex189
August 9th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I think it is a brilliant idea for the school. With the increasing costs for athletics, why wouldn't you try and maximize your facilities. I see no difference in selling Ad space on the scoreboard or renaming the field, lockerroom, pressbox for a large contributor.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 9th, 2017, 09:29 AM
I think it is a brilliant idea for the school. With the increasing costs for athletics, why wouldn't you try and maximize your facilities. I see no difference in selling Ad space on the scoreboard or renaming the field, lockerroom, pressbox for a large contributor.

I worked on the planning efforts for the Dallas Cowboys new world headquarters in Frisco...and what I'm thinking is going to be difficult with this concept is similar to what was difficult with the Star. Combining stadiums with offices/hotels and in this case housing could be very difficult to monitor for safety issues.

How are they planning on having people "activate the stadium at all times"? Will residence be allowed access to the stadium? Will restaurants be open at all times in the stadium? The way this article makes it sound is as if the apartments would be connected directly to the stadium facility?

Bison56
August 9th, 2017, 11:18 AM

This has me laughing way to hard.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Yeah, no thanks

OL FU
August 9th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I have a framed "Distinguished Award" from a furmanite that features that symbol.

:p

NorthChuckSouth
August 9th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Don't really care about auxiliary uses for a stadium, as long as it doesn't take away from the gameday atmosphere. I think they have dorm space under one side of Ohio State's stadium.

Selfishly, I hate the move of taking down the east side of the stadium and replacing it with something much smaller. First off, I hate lopsided stadiums ( including how mine currently looks). One grand side with a small side across the way just screams high school. But more importantly, was hoping that El Cid would rebuild/renovate the other side, so they could host the FCS title game. Charleston would be awesome for that, but pretty sure the NCAA wants a 20k stadium. Thought maybe the city and school could have worked something out that would have benefitted both parties. Oh well.

We have a semi-pro soccer team on Daniel Island. Their stadium seats probably around 6k. I've always thought they should build it up and we should play citadel there and play for some sort of trophy. Then the stadium could be used for other events like a national championship or bowl game.

They already host a professional tennis tournament on DI so they're used to crowd control

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:13 PM
We have a semi-pro soccer team on Daniel Island. Their stadium seats probably around 6k. I've always thought they should build it up and we should play citadel there and play for some sort of trophy. Then the stadium could be used for other events like a national championship or bowl game.

They already host a professional tennis tournament on DI so they're used to crowd control

You would think that. You are IRRELEVANT in Charleston and always have been. For the ONLY RELEVANT school to play you you MUST come to OUR place. WHY should we do YOU any favors? You want to play then come to where your BETTERS are.

NorthChuckSouth
August 10th, 2017, 11:58 AM
You would think that. You are IRRELEVANT in Charleston and always have been. For the ONLY RELEVANT school to play you you MUST come to OUR place. WHY should we do YOU any favors? You want to play then come to where your BETTERS are.

Get off your high horse there buddy... Citadel has been irrelevant since before I was born until recently. And even your best teams in the past two-three decades couldn't beat the "irrelevant team in Charleston."

Catamount87
August 10th, 2017, 12:50 PM
You want to play then come to where your BETTERS are.

So the folks that bet ON CSU are located IN Charleston then, specifically along the banks of the Ashley River. Thanks for letting us know that bit of trivia.

Bucs2016
August 10th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Irrelevant? Well nationally sure....we have 1 playoff win. Have really only beaten regional powers and gave NDSU one hell of a scare. So yeah nationally CSU is barely on the radar as more than a team who has made the playoffs a couple times.

But....isnt that true of The Citadel? I mean...yall have 1 playoff win since...well hell...since before Bill Clinton.

And as for regionals...yall didnt win the SoCon the last 25 years until App, Marshall and GSU left....and Wofford and Furman had some down years.

Seriously, for someone preaching "relevance" to us....exactly what the hell has Citadel done to be relevant to anyone outside of Charleston???? Because if this is a Charleston-only issue, then yall need to look at that 4 game losing streak to little ole CSU, "brace", and salute your superiors haha!!!