PDA

View Full Version : UTC lone all-american facing NCAA mandated suspention

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 06:59 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/aug/07/mocs-work-clear-picture-linebacker/442237/

dewey
August 7th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Losing an All American is a big hit to the defense. Any guesses on what for and how long?

Dewey

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Losing an All American is a big hit to the defense. Any guesses on what for and how long?

Dewey

Academics or weed??? Who knows. Sounded like several games.

He's a good player hopefully not too long. He's lightning coming on the delayed blitz.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Upz7X-TOntk

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2017, 08:42 AM
xcoffeex

KPSUL
August 7th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Academics or weed??? Who knows. Sounded like several games.

He's a good player hopefully not too long. He's lightning coming on the delayed blitz.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Upz7X-TOntk

Weed possession gets 6 weeks at UNH, Academics - the whole semester. We had an AA suspended for 6 games last season.

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Weed possession gets 6 weeks at UNH, Academics - the whole semester. We had an AA suspended for 6 games last season.

They are appealing so, I don't know what it could be. I don't know what the NCAA mandate is for anything.

dewey
August 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
They are appealing so, I don't know what it could be. I don't know what the NCAA mandate is for anything.

If I remember correctly an offensive lineman for NDSU last year had to sit out the first 2 games due to an NCAA suspension for academics.

I would guess if it is an NCAA mandate that it would be academics.

Dewey

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I'm giving a strong lean toward academics being the reason for this "suspention".

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM
If it's a year long pop there is one answer

NorthChuckSouth
August 7th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Dewey

He found a dollar on the ground... impermissisible benefits.

F'N Hawks
August 7th, 2017, 08:37 PM
He could have tested positive after one of the playoff games last year. Those kick in the next fall and are usually 4 games up to a full season, depending on the type of drug.

Just speculating......

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 08:42 PM
This is awful late to be appealing a post playoff game test.

Those come almost instantly....not that a uni player was busted for it a year or two ago at that time or anything.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Unlike some of their conference counterparts, UTC avoid early SoCon games and won't see conference play until their fourth game.

Mocs123
August 8th, 2017, 07:11 AM
I am not sure we actively avoid them just because we haven't had any the past couple of years. I know we opened the season with App a year or two before they left.

And it's not like we are playing cupcakes with JSU, who is a top 10 team, then LSU, and a pretty decent (under rated) UT Martin team.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2017, 09:02 AM
I am not sure we actively avoid them just because we haven't had any the past couple of years. I know we opened the season with App a year or two before they left.

And it's not like we are playing cupcakes with JSU, who is a top 10 team, then LSU, and a pretty decent (under rated) UT Martin team.

Not suggesting it is a black mark on UTC or that they had any control over it. I assume the SoCon sets the conference schedule based upon the exigencies of each team's needs. There is no rational reason, for instance, that Furman and Wofford play in Week 1 other than they have to.

My point is that if UTC is going to be without an all american for a period of time, it is better to be without during non-conference play. Every team's primary goal should be first winning the SoCon. You only do that by beating SoCon teams.

UTC's schedule is backloaded. They ease into the conference schedule with two of the lesser teams, and will not face their stiffest competition until late in the season. They don't avoid the crucible, they just don't have to come out of the gate swinging like Furman, Mercer, and Wofford have to. By the time they really hit the conference slate, this particular player may be back in uniform.

longtimemocfan
August 8th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Not suggesting it is a black mark on UTC or that they had any control over it. I assume the SoCon sets the conference schedule based upon the exigencies of each team's needs. There is no rational reason, for instance, that Furman and Wofford play in Week 1 other than they have to.

My point is that if UTC is going to be without an all american for a period of time, it is better to be without during non-conference play. Every team's primary goal should be first winning the SoCon. You only do that by beating SoCon teams.

UTC's schedule is backloaded. They ease into the conference schedule with two of the lesser teams, and will not face their stiffest competition until late in the season. They don't avoid the crucible, they just don't have to come out of the gate swinging like Furman, Mercer, and Wofford have to. By the time they really hit the conference slate, this particular player may be back in uniform.

I get what your saying. If the suspension is lifted after a few games Warren will be available for the tougher part of the schedule. Just lucky it fell that way.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2017, 12:08 PM
I get what your saying. If the suspension is lifted after a few games Warren will be available for the tougher part of the schedule. Just lucky it fell that way.

Of course, UTC didn't exactly knock over VMI in their last trip to Lexington and WCU's not really a team you want to be thin on defense against.

So, it's a bit relative.

Mocs123
August 8th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure what to think of a Cobb less VMI but I expect them to look different and WCU is a dangerous team even if their record didn't reflect that last year.

We play The Citadel, Samford, and Wofford back to back to back, no easy task.

Mocdaddy
August 8th, 2017, 09:26 PM
The Times-Free Press "unnamed" source stated that UTC was appealing the suspension. How is it possible to appeal a "mandated" suspension?

Mocs123
August 9th, 2017, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure. I am not sure what it could be - academics have not historically been an issue. I guess it could be drugs, maybe even something like Sudafed or Will Griers deal at UF.

As far as I can tell, he has always been a good student and has stayed out of trouble so this is a bit of a shock.

walliver
August 9th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Unlike some of their conference counterparts, UTC avoid early SoCon games and won't see conference play until their fourth game.

I suspect every SoCon team would like to avoid early season conference games. Season openers are always a bit nebulous; new players, new coaches, new schemes or modifications of schemes, breakout players, etc. Although SEC teams occasionally open the season with a big game because big money is involved, they usually like to play their SunBelt and SoCon portion of the season first to get ready for the important games.

It is especially prudent in FCS since a conference championship is an automatic ticket to the playoffs regardless of what happens out of conference.

chattownmocs
August 9th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I would say you could appeal based on extenuating circumstances. Don't know what those could possibly for anything that has been mentioned though.

clenz
August 9th, 2017, 10:11 AM
The Times-Free Press "unnamed" source stated that UTC was appealing the suspension. How is it possible to appeal a "mandated" suspension?
Drugs are a mandated suspension

Appealing on doctors requirements of said drug
Appealing on deluded sample
Appealing on procedural issues (see Ryan Braun)

There are a few ways to appeal it, especially if it isn't a true PED. It could be something like an ADHD medication.

I take an ADHD medication and got sent for a random drug test from work one day. Didn't even think about the fact I take it. Came back positive for being high on stimulants. Had to appeal that to my company and the drug testing company. Had to go get a note from my prescribing PsyD, a note from a MD as a second opinion confirming it's need, and show record of my prescription.

My wife has horrid allergies and is on special allergy meds. Should she ever need to do a drug test they would show up so we make sure we keep all kinds of documentation just to be safe.

I did an NCAA test when I played college football, I don't know what they test for now but I remember having to disclose basically everything I put into my body to the coaching/training staff to ensure anything I took wouldn't show up on the list, and anything I did take was given to me by the training staff as a way of covering all basis.