PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Buchannan List; first version

kdinva
August 6th, 2017, 03:31 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170804123059448199404

one of the two VMI Sr. LB's will be on this list come early November....

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 6th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I heard Greg Menard just blew his ACL and is done for the season so take him off the list

ST_Lawson
August 6th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I heard Greg Menard just blew his ACL and is done for the season so take him off the list

Wait...seriously?

EDIT - looks legit. aw man, that really sucks. I think the Bison will be ok, but on a personal level, I hope he can heal up and be back on the field again (any bison fans know if he's a possible medical redshirt?)

SU DOG
August 6th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Samford LB Shaheed Salmon, if injury free, might be one to also consider.

lionsrking2
August 6th, 2017, 05:32 PM
SLU LB, Sione Teuhema, will be on it by year's end, assuming he stays healthy.

NDSUtk
August 6th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Son of a... Losing Menard sucks. Was really looking forward to watching his motor go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
August 6th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Wait...seriously?

EDIT - looks legit. aw man, that really sucks. I think the Bison will be ok, but on a personal level, I hope he can heal up and be back on the field again (any bison fans know if he's a possible medical redshirt?)
He never took an actual redshirt so if he tore an ACL as is rumored he'll very likely be back next year as a 5th year senior after redshirting this year.

NorthChuckSouth
August 6th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I'm excited to see what Anthony Ellis does this year.. he's been a wrecking ball for the past 3 years.

ST_Lawson
August 7th, 2017, 12:01 AM
He never took an actual redshirt so if he tore an ACL as is rumored he'll very likely be back next year as a 5th year senior after redshirting this year.

Ok, that's...well...not "good"...but it's good that he'll likely get to play a fourth year.

dgtw
August 7th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Son of a... Losing Menard sucks. Was really looking forward to watching his motor go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I hate for someone to get hurt. Hope he can recover and play next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
August 7th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Why not just list the guys who are you ACTUALLY on the list?

P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State, R-DE, Sr., 6-1, 280, Seguin, Texas
The runner-up for the 2016 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award seeks to take the next step as a senior. He was named the Southland Conference defensive player of the year as well as to the all-conference first team for a third time. … Despite commanding double-teams, he has totaled 36 sacks and 67 tackles for loss through his three seasons. … Uses his strength to overpower opposing linemen. He is expected to move inside to defensive tackle on the NFL level. … Hall helped the Bearkats to FCS national semifinal appearances in each of his first two seasons and to the quarterfinals in 2016. … On special teams, he blocked five kicks in each of his first two seasons.

Davontae Harris, Illinois State, CB, R-Sr., 6-0, 200, Wichita, Kansas
Harris knows when to lift his game as he has saved some of his best games for the FCS playoffs, which Illinois State qualified for in three straight seasons. … The speedy, physical corner made the 2016 All-Missouri Valley Football Conference first team while ranking first in the conference in passes defended with 15 (13 pass breakups and two interceptions). He also led the Redbirds with 10 passes defended as a sophomore. … With his excellent size, Harris is considered a prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Kurt Holuba, Princeton, DE, Sr., 6-3, 260, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey
Anchored the Ivy League's leading defense and finished second in voting for the 2016 Bushnell Cup as the league's defensive player of the year. … Totaled eight sacks for the Ivy League co-champion Tigers, leading all players with seven in league play. He racked up 10 tackles and three sacks against rival Harvard. … Versatile enough to play on the interior of the defensive line or on the edge. … Older brothers Rob and Jack played in the Ivy League at Princeton and Harvard, respectively.

Darius Jackson, Jacksonville State, DE, R-Sr., 6-3, 237, Bessemer, Alabama
The Ohio Valley Conference's 2016 preseason defensive player of the year lived up to the billing by earning the postseason award as well. He topped the conference with 15 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. … Has explosive speed coming from the edge, but also drops back to outside linebacker in a combo type of role. Usually draws double-teams from an offense. … Equally important as the defensive statistics is Jackson has been part of three straight Gamecocks' teams to finish unbeaten in the OVC. … Finished fourth in voting for the 2016 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award. During the regular season, those teams only lost to FBS opponents.

Darius Leonard, South Carolina State, LB, R-Sr., 6-3, 200, Lake View, South Carolina
An instinctive feel for the game and a relentless style of play helped Leonard earn the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's 2016 defensive player of the year award. He was the fourth straight South Carolina State winner. … Ranked first in the MEAC and sixth in the FCS with 11.3 tackles per game. … Collected a career-high 19 tackles in a game against Clemson, the eventual FBS national champion. … Was named the 2014 MEAC rookie of the year. … Finished 10th in voting for the 2016 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award.

Greg Menard, North Dakota State, DE, Sr., 6-2, 238, Lakeview, Minnesota
The top pass rusher on what has consistently been the best defense in the FCS. … Menard came on strong as a true freshman in 2014 behind defensive end Kyle Emanuel, the FCS defensive player of the year, and as a junior he was nominated to the STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award Watch List. … Had 15½ tackles for loss with 11 sacks and four quarterback hurries in 2016. Also led the Bison with 14½ tackles for loss and 10 sacks as a sophomore, when he was a third-team All-American. … Particularly strong on passing downs, he uses speed, a high motor and athleticism to attack opposing quarterbacks from their blind side.

Ebenezer Ogundeko, Tennessee State, DE, R-Sr., 6-3, 255, Brooklyn, New York
A former Clemson reserve, "Ebo" been a terror in Ohio Valley Conference backfields. He made the 2015 All-OVC first team in his first season at Tennessee State. … Was off to a big start in 2016 before being hampered by an injury. In eight games, he had 48 tackles and led the Tigers in tackles for loss (11), sacks (5½), quarterback hurries (five) and fumble recoveries (two). … Likes to power around the edge to get into backfields. … Nominated to the 2016 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award and considered a 2018 NFL Draft prospect.

Cole Reyes, North Dakota, SS, R-Sr., 6-2, 205, Schaumburg, Illinois
Helped North Dakota to a share of the 2016 Big Sky title and an FCS playoff appearance - both firsts for the program - while earning the conference's defensive player of the year award. … Was named to the STATS FCS All-America first team and finished 14th in voting for the Buck Buchanan Award. … Gritty playmaker fills the box score. He had three interceptions and eight pass breakups despite missing two games due to injury as a junior. … Jumped into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman in 2014 and hasn't looked back as he enters his senior season.

Rob Rolle, Villanova, FS, Sr., 6-0, 190, Newfield, New Jersey
Rolle posted a breakout season in 2016 on a Villanova defense that ranked first in the FCS in total defense and scoring defense. … His seven interceptions tied for the national high. He had a pair of picks in wins over Lafayette and Maine, and had a 100-plus-yard interception return for a touchdown against Towson. He added five more pass breakups for 12 passes defended. … Rolle is well-suited for safety with his lankiness and athleticism as he is able to cover a lot of ground.

Christian Rozeboom, South Dakota State, LB, R-So., 6-2, 225, Sioux Center, Iowa
As a freshman, Rozeboom narrowly missed winning the 2016 STATS FCS Jerry Rice Award, finishing one point behind Duquesne running back A.J. Hines in the voting. He was named the Missouri Valley Football Conference's freshman of the year. … Athletic playmaker who makes call from the middle linebacker position. … Started all 13 games and led South Dakota State with 132 tackles as the Jackrabbits reached the FCS playoff quarterfinals for the first time. … Collected a career-high 20 tackles and forced a fumble in a road win at Southern Illinois Oct. 8, 2016.

Tremon Smith, Central Arkansas, CB, Sr., 6-0, 186, Anniston, Alabama
Opposing quarterbacks seek to avoid throwing toward the two-time All-Southland Conference first-team cornerback. … Enters his senior season with 10 career interceptions and 37 passes defended. … Helped Central Arkansas qualify for the 2016 FCS playoffs and have one of the nation's better defenses. … Highly skilled with great hands and turn-and-run ability. … Also Central Arkansas' punt returner, he averaged nine yards on 25 returns in 2016.

Brett Taylor, Western Illinois, LB, R-Sr., 6-2, 230, Macomb, Illinois
Western Illinois coaches wisely kept the Macomb resident from living city limits. The hometown product has turned into a first-team All-American with the Leathernecks. … With his nose for the ball, Taylor averaged 12.2 tackles per game in 2016, reaching double figures in 10 of 11 games. Included among his 134 tackles were a national-best 92 solo stops. … Had 144 tackles in his sophomore season - over 60 more than his closest teammate. … Finished seventh in voting for the 2016 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award.

Kailik Williams, The Citadel, SS, Sr., 5-11, 185, Ormond Beach, Florida
Plays the demanding "rover" position on The Citadel defense. … Was named to the All-Southern Conference first team and picked by the conference media as its defensive player of the year in 2016. … Finished with a team-high 103 tackles, including 10 for loss, with seven passes defended (two interceptions and five pass breakups) as The Citadel won a second consecutive SoCon title for the first time. … Known for his "Pitch Six" play in a 2016 overtime win at Wofford when he caught an option pitch and returned for a touchdown. … Had been a standout in the Bulldogs' three playoff games in 2015 and '16.

Bisonator
August 7th, 2017, 06:49 PM
You missed about half of them.

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2017, 10:38 PM
So now we are the only school with two Buchanan list players. I'll take it. Bridges is a stud.

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2017, 10:55 PM
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure SDSU has the only Soph on the list, which is a good sign for the future defense

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure SDSU has the only Soph on the list, which is a good sign for the future defense

Marlon Bridges is also a Soph.

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Marlon Bridges is also a Soph.

Welp. Guess I was wrong. Rozeboom is better. I mean, he has boom in his name xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2017, 08:34 AM
With all the known injuries out there here are my updated lists. I changed some names from my previous lists.

PAYTON CANDIDATES
QB Jeremiah Briscoe, Sam Houston State, Sr.
RB Martez Carter, Grambling State, Sr.
QB Taryn Christion, South Dakota State, Jr.
QB Case Cookus, Northern Arizona, Soph.
RB Chase Edmonds, Fordham, Sr.
QB Gage Gubrud, Eastern Washington, Jr.
QB Devlin Hodges, Samford, Jr.
RB Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, Albany, Jr.
QB DeVante Kincade, Grambling State, Sr.
QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond, Sr.
QB Tyrell Maxwell, Gardner-Webb, Sr.
RB Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina, Sr.
TE Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State, Sr.
OT Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T, Sr.
OT Timon Parris, Stony Brook, Sr.
RB Anthony Philyaw, Howard, Sr.
FB Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly, Sr.
RB John Santiago, North Dakota, Jr.
QB Bryan Schor, James Madison, Sr.
RB Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State, Sr.
WR Justin Watson, Penn, Sr.
WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State, Sr.

TOP 5 (IN ALPHA ORDER)

BUCHANAN CANDIDATES
DE Pat Afriyie, Colgate, Sr.
DE Keontre Anderson, Jackson State, Sr.
DE Andrew Ankrah, James Madison, Sr.
S Mike Basile, Monmouth, Sr.
S Marlon Bridges, Jacksonville State, Soph.
LB Nick DeLuca, North Dakota State, Sr.
LB Garrett Dolan, Houston Baptist, Sr.
DE Anthony Ellis, Charleston Southern, Sr.
DE P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State, Sr.
CB Davontae Harris, Illinois State, Sr.
DE Darius Jackson, Jacksonville State, Sr.
CB Taron Johnson, Weber State, Sr.
LB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State, Sr.
LB Chad Meredith, Southeast Missouri State, Sr.
DE Ebenezer Ogundeko, Tennessee State, Sr.
S Cole Reyes, North Dakota, Sr.
S Rob Rolle, Villanova, Sr.
LB Christian Rozeboom, South Dakota State, Soph.
DT Nate Tanguay, North Dakota State, Sr.
LB Brett Taylor, Western Illinois, Sr.
DL Jay-Tee Tiuli, Eastern Washington, Sr.
S Kailik Williams, The Citadel, Sr.

TOP 5 (IN ALPHA ORDER)

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Welp. Guess I was wrong. Rozeboom is better. I mean, he has boom in his name xlolx

Uh huh. xnodx

With all the known injuries out there here are my updated lists. I changed some names from my previous lists.

PAYTON CANDIDATES
RB Martez Carter, Grambling State, Sr.
QB Case Cookus, Northern Arizona, Soph.
QB Devlin Hodges, Samford, Jr.
RB Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, Albany, Jr.
QB DeVante Kincade, Grambling State, Sr.
QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond, Sr.
QB Tyrell Maxwell, Gardner-Webb, Sr.
RB Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina, Sr.
OT Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T, Sr.
OT Timon Parris, Stony Brook, Sr.
RB Anthony Philyaw, Howard, Sr.
FB Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly, Sr.
RB John Santiago, North Dakota, Jr.
QB Bryan Schor, James Madison, Sr.
RB Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State, Sr.
WR Justin Watson, Penn, Sr.
WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State, Sr.

TOP 5 (IN ALPHA ORDER)

BUCHANAN CANDIDATES
DE Pat Afriyie, Colgate, Sr.
DE Keontre Anderson, Jackson State, Sr.
DE Andrew Ankrah, James Madison, Sr.
S Mike Basile, Monmouth, Sr.
S Marlon Bridges, Jacksonville State, Soph.
LB Garrett Dolan, Houston Baptist, Sr.
DE Anthony Ellis, Charleston Southern, Sr.
CB Davontae Harris, Illinois State, Sr.
CB Taron Johnson, Weber State, Sr.
LB Chad Meredith, Southeast Missouri State, Sr.
DE Ebenezer Ogundeko, Tennessee State, Sr.
S Cole Reyes, North Dakota, Sr.
S Rob Rolle, Villanova, Sr.
LB Christian Rozeboom, South Dakota State, Soph.
DT Nate Tanguay, North Dakota State, Sr.
DL Jay-Tee Tiuli, Eastern Washington, Sr.
S Kailik Williams, The Citadel, Sr.

TOP 5 (IN ALPHA ORDER)

When's the last time a running back won the Payton? Not sure Roc will even see a large enough workload to be there in the end. Even Pope didn't come close in 2015.

ST_Lawson
August 8th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Uh huh. xnodx

When's the last time a running back won the Payton? Not sure Roc will even see a large enough workload to be there in the end. Even Pope didn't come close in 2015.

2003 - Jamaal Branch, Colgate
before that there was a string of them from '98-'01 that were all RBs: Jerry Azumah, Adrian Peterson, Louis Ivory, Brian Westbrook

It's been a while...going back to '04, only one player (Cooper Kupp in 2015) hasn't been a QB.

BTW, I'm still upset that Aaron Stecker didn't win it in '97. 1,957 rushing yards (177.91 per game), 24 rushing TDs (6 more than the 2nd place guy). Set the conference record at the time for most points & TDs scored in a season (since broken by SDSU's Zenner and ISUr's Coprich), set the conference record at the time for most rushing yards in a game and in a season (has been broken a few times since). Dude was an absolute beast that averaged over 200 all-purpose yards per game all season (including 2 playoff games).

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Uh huh. xnodx

There have been several RBs who won in the past but we have not seen one lately. If you wanted to truly take the odds then the best is to list about 17 QBs, 2 or 3 RBs and then a WR if they have big numbers but I'm trying to put the very best players on the list. I know an OT won't have any shot but 2 OTs are among the 20-22 best offensive players in the country.