3) Furman 0-0 0-0 00 00
4) Mercer 0-0 0-0 00 00
5) Samford 0-0 0-0 00 00
6) The Citadel 0-0 0-0 00 00
7) VMI 0-0 0-0 00 00
8) Western Carolina 0-0 0-0 00 00
9) Wofford 0-0 0-0 00 00

August 26
Chattanooga vs Jacksonville State (FCS kickoff, Montgomery, AL)

August 31
Jacksonville U at Mercer
Kennesaw State at Samford

September 2
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel
Furman at Wofford
Limestone at East Tennessee State
Chattanooga - OPEN

September 3 (12am ET, 6pm 9/2 Hawaii time)
Western Carolina at Hawaii

GO CATS!!! (Will update weekly)

FUBeAR
August 4th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Rank/Team W-L (SOCON) W-L (ALL) PF PA

1) Chattanooga 0-0 0-0 00 00
2) East Tennessee State 0-0 0-0 00 00
3) Furman 0-0 0-0 00 00
4) Mercer 0-0 0-0 00 00
5) Samford 0-0 0-0 00 00
6) The Citadel 0-0 0-0 00 00
7) VMI 0-0 0-0 00 00
8) Western Carolina 0-0 0-0 00 00
9) Wofford 0-0 0-0 00 00

August 26
Chattanooga vs Jacksonville State (FCS kickoff, Montgomery, AL)

August 31
Jacksonville U at Mercer
Kennesaw State at Samford

September 2
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel
Furman at Wofford
Limestone at East Tennessee State
Chattanooga - OPEN

September 3 (12am ET, 6pm 9/2 Hawaii time)
Western Carolina at Hawaii

GO CATS!!! (Will update weekly)

FIFY -If they MUST have their precious preceding "The," then they must NOT be granted such alphabetical privilege!

Scrappy94
August 4th, 2017, 11:58 PM
FIFY -If they MUST have their precious preceding "The," then they must NOT be granted such alphabetical privilege!

I love it! xlmaox

citdog
August 5th, 2017, 12:56 AM

Then BEAT US you ****ing pussy ass BITCH!

citdog
August 5th, 2017, 12:57 AM
I love it! xlmaox

See ABOVE!

Scrappy94
August 5th, 2017, 02:41 AM
See ABOVE!

I'm surprised you don't remember that we have beat you many times. Just as a reminder, Chattanooga leads the all-time series 30-17-2, including 4-1 over the last 5 games.

Scrappy94
August 5th, 2017, 02:47 AM

Last I checked, the alphabet I was taught had H before I, so The Citadel shouldn't be sitting at #1 alphabetically anyway.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Some good games on the slate for the season's first week with potentially national implications.

I had not realized Samford was playing Kennesaw. The KSU team Furman saw last season was dangerous and runs the ball extremely well.

FUBeAR
August 5th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Wow. Hard to believe you kiss your fellow bellhops with that mouth...nah, not really.

And...as I believe you know, my personal winning % vs CIT is 83.33%. Yes, living down the shame of that 1 loss in 6 games has been a challenge, but I'm coping.

catamount man
August 5th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Last I checked, the alphabet I was taught had H before I, so The Citadel shouldn't be sitting at #1 alphabetically anyway. I stand corrected and will fix. Oops.

Catamount87
August 5th, 2017, 11:34 AM

Bellhops have to go first so they can hold the door for the rest of us. :D

Catamount87
August 5th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Ah yes, how wonderful it is to hear the eloquence of the fine education from that superb southern institution of higher learning which has been bestowed upon the gracious privileged few.

Sandlapper Spike
August 5th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I don't really care about the order of the teams in the preseason standings. I'm surprised anyone does. After all, every team has the same record right now.

As for the "The", it is neither precious nor extraneous. It is part of the name of the school. It is on my diploma.

SU DOG
August 5th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Some good games on the slate for the season's first week with potentially national implications.

I had not realized Samford was playing Kennesaw. The KSU team Furman saw last season was dangerous and runs the ball extremely well.

KSU is definitely an up-and- coming program. I do not mean to disrespect the Owls. IMO, however, they would not be in the upper tier of the SoCon this season. Most of their wins last year were against weak competition. Yes, they beat Furman, but the Paladins outscored them 28-3 in the 2nd half. As for our game with them, I expect our defense to be able to control their option attack very well. I have seen 8 of their games from last season, and I think I'm speaking from a biased, but honest and knowledgeable perspective. I know that a loss in that home opener would hurt the SoCon, and would certainly indicate a long year for our Dogs. I expect Samford to win going away.

ElCid
August 5th, 2017, 06:51 PM
KSU is definitely an up-and- coming program. I do not mean to disrespect the Owls. IMO, however, they would not be in the upper tier of the SoCon this season. Most of their wins last year were against weak competition. Yes, they beat Furman, but the Paladins outscored them 28-3 in the 2nd half. As for our game with them, I expect our defense to be able to control their option attack very well. I have seen 8 of their games from last season, and I think I'm speaking from a biased, but honest and knowledgeable perspective. I know that a loss in that home opener would hurt the SoCon, and would certainly indicate a long year for our Dogs. I expect Samford to win going away.

Yeah there are not bad...but not a problem. I would not sleep on them though.

OL FU
August 5th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Preseason standings?

ElCid
August 5th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Preseason standings?

AKA alphabetic order....but even that can be challenging.

citdog
August 6th, 2017, 12:02 AM
I'm surprised you don't remember that we have beat you many times. Just as a reminder, Chattanooga leads the all-time series 30-17-2, including 4-1 over the last 5 games.

WHAT happened last time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzJ4LK51e4

ElCid
August 6th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Oh my. Newberry coach calls The Citadel the second best team in the state of South Carolina. No love for the SEC.xlolx

http://www.abccolumbia.com/2017/08/03/newberrys-knight-calls-citadel-second-best-team-south-carolina/

OL FU
August 6th, 2017, 10:19 AM
AKA alphabetic order....but even that can be challenging.

In years past, this would not be the case. But based on recent history one of my favorite time periods. Everyone tied for first and last.

The Cats
August 6th, 2017, 10:45 AM
I'm optimistic this year that the Cats will improve on defense, and make some noise in the SoCon. Certainly not predicting a championship, but thinking the Cats will do much better than the preseason polls are suggesting.

I think we now have the right man running the defense, and about 6 QBs backing up Adams this season, which should free Tyrie up to run the ball more which will open up the running game for Newsome and the other RBs.

catamount man
August 6th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I'm optimistic this year that the Cats will improve on defense, and make some noise in the SoCon. Certainly not predicting a championship, but thinking the Cats will do much better than the preseason polls are suggesting.

I think we now have the right man running the defense, and about 6 QBs backing up Adams this season, which should free Tyrie up to run the ball more which will open up the running game for Newsome and the other RBs.

With the OL finally, it appears, having some depth, I would love nothing more than to see us run, run, and keep running the ball down teams throats. Like you, I am glad we got a proven DC, but the jury is still out on personnel. We go 6-6 and I'll be happy. Glad this is the last season to play 2 FBS schools. GO CATS!!!

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Samford and Kennesaw also have in common that they both lost to ETSU.

Samford is the more talented team. However, Samford has struggled mightily in the run defense department.

My opinions of KSU were less about the Furman game and more about the body of work. KSU had a respectable season in the Big South, a conference that has recently given SoCon teams fits. Furman played as poorly during that first half against KSU as I have ever seen them. In fact, I consider that game the final nail in Bruce Fowler's tenure in Greenville. The fan base can accept a loss, but another loss where the team sleep walks through a half was an embarrassment.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2017, 01:43 PM
RECENTLY given the SoCon fits? If my quick look-back is correct, the last 2 years the SoCon is 9-5 against the BS, and 3 of those 5 losses were by Furman.

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2017, 02:52 PM
RECENTLY given the SoCon fits? If my quick look-back is correct, the last 2 years the SoCon is 9-5 against the BS, and 3 of those 5 losses were by Furman.

Yes, recently.

Just using your arbitrary two year time frame, you fail to mention two of Furman's losses were to perennial powerhouse Coastal Carolina. The Citadel was the only other SoCon school that played CCU (in the post season).

Wofford beat Charleston Southern by 1 point last season.
Wofford managed three field goals, 1 touchdown, and only 3 second half points against Gardner Webb in 2015.

Citadel lost to Charleston Southern twice in 2015.
Citadel also beat Gardner Webb by 7 last season, but the game was a 4 point lead until the closing minute.

UTC played a surprisingly tight game against Presbyterian in 2015, only winning 14-0 through most of the game.

KSU, of course, beat not-yet-SoCon ETSU like a drum in 2015, played tight game against them in 2016 and beat Furman.

No, the Big South hasn't won a ton of those contests, but more often than not, they play favorited SoCon teams extremely tough. Even in heavy underdog roles.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Oh sure you can compare scores, and prove most anything, but that proves basically nothing. How about a 1-7 in the SoCon team last year in Western that beat this Gardner Webb Team 44-14? The real body of work is in the final results, and I say 9-5 SoCon speaks for itself.

As ElCid has correctly warned, Samford can't sleep on Kennesaw State, but I hope and expect us to win. I also will take WCU over Gardner Webb, and The Citadel and Wofford both over Presbyterian. That would be a 4-0 sweep for the SoCon, unless I overlooked a game somewhere. May not happen, but hopefully it will.

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Oh sure you can compare scores, and prove most anything, but that proves basically nothing. How about a 1-7 in the SoCon team last year in Western that beat this Gardner Webb Team 44-14? The real body of work is in the final results, and I say 9-5 SoCon speaks for itself.

As ElCid has correctly warned, Samford can't sleep on Kennesaw State, but I hope and expect us to win. I also will take WCU over Gardner Webb, and The Citadel and Wofford both over Presbyterian. That would be a 4-0 sweep for the SoCon, unless I overlooked a game somewhere. May not happen, but hopefully it will.

My point is that Big South teams have a history of giving SoCon teams a lot of trouble. Those games are often (not every time, but often) uncomfortably close.

I would wager most SoCon fans would agree with me, particularly those fans of teams that routinely see Big South teams on the schedule (Furman, Wofford, the Citadel). SoCon teams used to blow Big South teams off the map every game. That has not been the case the last 5 years or so as the level of play in the BSC has gotten significantly better.

Samford will be favored, but KSU is no slouch. They return 16 starters off an 8 win team and are really good at doing the one thing Samford has a lot of trouble with.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2017, 04:39 PM
My point is that Big South teams have a history of giving SoCon teams a lot of trouble. Those games are often (not every time, but often) uncomfortably close.

I would wager most SoCon fans would agree with me, particularly those fans of teams that routinely see Big South teams on the schedule (Furman, Wofford, the Citadel). SoCon teams used to blow Big South teams off the map every game. That has not been the case the last 5 years or so as the level of play in the BSC has gotten significantly better.

Samford will be favored, but KSU is no slouch. They return 16 starters off an 8 win team and are really good at doing the one thing Samford has a lot of trouble with.

NO argument here.

sudog03
August 8th, 2017, 09:42 PM
I expect a really fun season of Socon football. A ton of parity in the league, and I think the championship will come down to the final week of the season. 4 teams in the top 20 of both FCS polls is a great achievement for a league once thought dead after the departures of App and Ga So.

walliver
August 9th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Oh my. Newberry coach calls The Citadel the second best team in the state of South Carolina. No love for the SEC.xlolx

http://www.abccolumbia.com/2017/08/03/newberrys-knight-calls-citadel-second-best-team-south-carolina/

Considering The Citadel finished second in the South Carolina bracket of the FCS playoffs, he must not think much of Clemson either.:D

ElCid
August 9th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Considering The Citadel finished second in the South Carolina bracket of the FCS playoffs, he must not think much of Clemson either.:D

Yeah, I was thinking that as well but just couldn't bring myself to say it.:D

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 9th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I think ETSU will be competitive in a majority of their games. I saw one person having ETSU going 2-9, I just don't see it happening. I stand by my earlier comments that ETSU will win at least six games season and win 1-2 conference games they weren't supposed to.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I think ETSU will be competitive in a majority of their games. I saw one person having ETSU going 2-9, I just don't see it happening. I stand by my earlier comments that ETSU will win at least six games season and win 1-2 conference games they weren't supposed to.

I like what Ive seen from ETSU since restarting their program. It looks like they have been doing everything right so far. But I think six games might be stretching it a little bit. I could definitely see 4 and maybe 5. And that would be good for a school who just restarted their program in 2015.

ETSU wins: Limestone, Robert Morris and VMI, ETSU Toss Ups: Furman, Western Carolina (They win one of those), ETSU Losses: JMU, Wofford, The Citadel, UTC, Samford and Mercer.

PaladinNation
August 9th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I like what Ive seen from ETSU since restarting their program. It looks like they have been doing everything right so far. But I think six games might be stretching it a little bit. I could definitely see 4 and maybe 5. And that would be good for a school who just restarted their program in 2015.

ETSU wins: Limestone, Robert Morris and VMI, ETSU Toss Ups: Furman, Western Carolina (They win one of those), ETSU Losses: JMU, Wofford, The Citadel, UTC, Samford and Mercer.

Interesting you put Furman as a toss up. Not much respect for the DINS. It could happen, but do not expect this Furman team or future Furman teams to self-destruct in the fourth quarter as it's done so well the last couple of seasons.

Furman is calling this a New Era. From what I can tell that's not just a marketing slogan.

Players were told to change their bodies, get lighter and stronger or go. Some have gone. Those who stayed have bought into the complete system changes on offense and defense. With 49 freshmen Furman is a team building towards the future, but I think they will be a tough out for any team.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Interesting you put Furman as a toss up. Not much respect for the DINS. It could happen, but do not expect this Furman team or future Furman teams to self-destruct in the fourth quarter as it's done so well the last couple of seasons.

Furman is calling this a New Era. From what I can tell that's not just a marketing slogan.

Players were told to change their bodies, get lighter and stronger or go. Some have gone. Those who stayed have bought into the complete system changes on offense and defense. With 49 freshmen Furman is a team building towards the future, but I think they will be a tough out for any team.

Its not so much not having respect. Furman enters this year with 3 stragit losing seasons at 3-8, 4-7 and 3-8. I understand Furman has a new coach but its still 3 classes of players at Furman who compiled those records.

Furman may be better this year under Hendrix but I don't see them playing top caliber football for a few more seasons anyway. I think Furman fans will have to be patient this year. Next year I think you could see vast improvements and if Hendrix and his staff are a good as has been said I think Furman can start to be a top school in the SoCon like they were in the 80s up until the mid 90s.

So its not disrespect, its just the shape Furman is in right now.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM

This has nothing to do with respect, sorry that you feel that way. But over the past 3 seasons Furman has went 3-9, 4-7 and 3-8. I understand that Bruce Fowler is no longer there and Clay Hendrix is now the head man at Furman. But you still have 3 classes of players that gave you those last 3 seasons of results.

I think Furman fans will have to be patient this year and let Hendrix get part of his system in place with a team where most of the players he had no hand in recruiting. I think next year in 2018 you will see a much improved Furman and if Hendrix is as good as advertised I think 2019 is when they make the jump again. And maybe beyond that we will see a Furman squad in the top of the SoCon fighting for the SoCon title every year like they did all through out the 80s and up until the mid 90s.

It has more to do with the shape of Furman right now, than respect. Clay Hendrix took over a sick pastient, most times it takes a few years for that patient to get fully healthy.

PaladinFan
August 9th, 2017, 02:46 PM
This has nothing to do with respect, sorry that you feel that way. But over the past 3 seasons Furman has went 3-9, 4-7 and 3-8. I understand that Bruce Fowler is no longer there and Clay Hendrix is now the head man at Furman. But you still have 3 classes of players that gave you those last 3 seasons of results.

I think Furman fans will have to be patient this year and let Hendrix get part of his system in place with a team where most of the players he had no hand in recruiting. I think next year in 2018 you will see a much improved Furman and if Hendrix is as good as advertised I think 2019 is when they make the jump again. And maybe beyond that we will see a Furman squad in the top of the SoCon fighting for the SoCon title every year like they did all through out the 80s and up until the mid 90s.

It has more to do with the shape of Furman right now, than respect. Clay Hendrix took over a sick pastient, most times it takes a few years for that patient to get fully healthy.

My two cents.

1. I don't know how good ETSU or Furman are going to be. I do know that I watched Furman pummel the Bucs last season. I hadn't seen Furman beat a team that badly in 15 years.

What is more, Furman did that to ETSU on the road without ETSU committing a turnover or Furman scoring a non-offensive touchdown. Furman just whipped their fannies from whistle to whistle.

2. I don't think Furman's problems the last few years were necessarily because of talent. I think there was a huge coaching and execution problem. Furman lost so many games the last few years where they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Now, the roster has turned over in a big way. There's a new coach and a new system. There are a lot of unknowns. Furman may have some growing pains this year, but I think they will be less apt to squander away games late.

PaladinNation
August 9th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Not going to disagree with your post. But, things to remember. Furman lost to Citadel by 5, Chatty by 7, Wofford by 7 and Mercer by 3. The only blowout was against Samford, and Furman coulda woulda shoulda beaten Citadel, Wofford and Mercer. The talent is there, the coaching and the effort has been a hot mess at times in the recent past.

We will see quickly just how far Furman has to go on September 2nd against an excellent Wofford team.

sudog03
August 9th, 2017, 06:04 PM
As a Samford fan and SoCon observer, I always thought Fowler's Furman teams were long on coaching (especially defensively) and short on talent, especially at the skill positions. Personally I think it's going to take Hendrix at least 2 recruiting classes to get Furman back competing for a SoCon title.

ETSUfan1
August 9th, 2017, 08:39 PM

ETSU went 5-6 with nothing but Freshmen and Sophomores. There's no reason to think they gain a year of experience and lose less than 5 players off of the roster, and go 2-9.

PaladinNation
August 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM
As a Samford fan and SoCon observer, I always thought Fowler's Furman teams were long on coaching (especially defensively) and short on talent, especially at the skill positions. Personally I think it's going to take Hendrix at least 2 recruiting classes to get Furman back competing for a SoCon title.

Not going to disagree… this has been a fairly hot topic the last several years between Furman fans. Where Furman burned a ton of scholarships without much on the field results was on the offensive line. I don't know if it was due to poor recruiting analysis or coaching players up. Add to that issue a constant state of flux for the offensive system and player attrition on both sides of the ball.

I think you will see a different skill level right from the start for Furman this season. Morehead at tailback and Gordon at receiver could be two of the best in the SoCon this season.

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Not going to disagree… this has been a fairly hot topic the last several years between Furman fans. Where Furman burned a ton of scholarships without much on the field results was on the offensive line. I don't know if it was due to poor recruiting analysis or coaching players up. Add to that issue a constant state of flux for the offensive system and player attrition on both sides of the ball.

I think you will see a different skill level right from the start for Furman this season. Morehead at tailback and Gordon at receiver could be two of the best in the SoCon this season.

xlolx
The second hit your tailback took from a The Citadel Man he got carried off by the cart like ALL you furman pussies do when they meet up with a REAL MAN.

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2017, 04:35 AM

Coming from the fan of a team with 1 SoCon football title to the fans of the team with 13.

To your point, Furman's problem (as one who follows them) was coaching. They had a head coach that appeared over his head at times and a team that would take games off and appeared unmotivated. When Furman actually showed up, whether for a game or a half, they would often blow the doors off. There was a clear need to change leadership at the offensive coordinator position, but no change was made due to nepotism and the buddy system.

The smartest thing Clay Hendrix did, in my opinion, was bring in George Quarles and put him as TE coach and asst. head coach. That small maneuver puts an extremely talented coach on Furman's staff, but also doesn't block younger guys from promotion and upward mobility because the coach's long-time friend is in the offensive coordinator's chair.

PaladinNation
August 10th, 2017, 06:16 AM
xlolx
The second hit your tailback took from a The Citadel Man he got carried off by the cart like ALL you furman pussies do when they meet up with a REAL MAN.

I know it's hard to keep your facts straight in the low country… but his neck injury happened after a ten-yard pass reception. Give your defense some credit too, he had already had six rushes for little to no gain before he caught the pass. Also should have been a spearing penalty on that play.

To BF's credit, they knew Morehead is special and played it safe.

sudog03
August 10th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Coming from the fan of a team with 1 SoCon football title to the fans of the team with 13.

To your point, Furman's problem (as one who follows them) was coaching. They had a head coach that appeared over his head at times and a team that would take games off and appeared unmotivated. When Furman actually showed up, whether for a game or a half, they would often blow the doors off. There was a clear need to change leadership at the offensive coordinator position, but no change was made due to nepotism and the buddy system.

The smartest thing Clay Hendrix did, in my opinion, was bring in George Quarles and put him as TE coach and asst. head coach. That small maneuver puts an extremely talented coach on Furman's staff, but also doesn't block younger guys from promotion and upward mobility because the coach's long-time friend is in the offensive coordinator's chair.

Oh, I agree, I think Fowler's loyalty to Sorrells is what ultimately cost him his job. But, I feel their ability to keep games close was a credit to Fowler's defensive coaching ability. There's really only one game I can remember getting away from Fowler...if I could only remember it...oh yeah, this one:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25766&stc=1

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2017, 07:40 AM
The Samford game a few years ago was a microcosm of the fan's (or at least my) frustration with Fowler. That was one of a number of games where Furman just didn't even bother taking the field that day. Samford was not 45 points better than Furman, but when you play disinterested football against a good team, you are going to get beat like that.

That game. Kennessaw State last season. Western Carolina two seasons ago. Just games where Furman seemed like they were not ready to play. It is not as though Furman had never lost football games before, but you'd be hard pressed to find instances pre-Fowler where the team would get run off the field like they would do during his tenure. Sloppy play from start to finish.

Furman's ability to keep games close is because they have talented players, not because of the defense. Furman's defense was averagish, last year. They scored plenty, but surrendered 27 ppg.

Furman was not out-athleted in any contest. They were not out matched or out-sized. They would lack discipline and execution in late game and end-of-half situations that would ultimately be the deciding factor. As PaladinNation noted, they had the Citadel, Wofford, and Mercer all but beat and let mental lapses and execution cost them those three wins. To me, that's a coaching issue, not a talent issue. The lack of focus bleeds from spring, to summer, and into the fall.

FUBeAR
August 10th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Furman's ability to keep games close is because they have talented players...

...Furman was not out-athleted in any contest. They were not out matched or out-sized...they had the Citadel, Wofford, and Mercer all but beat

When Furman actually showed up, whether for a game or a half, they would often blow the doors off.

You know I love my brother, Coach Hendrix; I think just about every move he's made (many of those 'moves' not visible to the general public) since accepting the HC position at FU has been near-perfect; and I am pulling for an amazing 2017 and a return to Furman Football glory in the years ahead...but I'm starting to get a little Chattttttttown-esque vibe from your posts, PF.

I might consider dialing it back just a wee little bit until about 9 or 10 PM on 9/2; just my thoughts...you, do you, of course.

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2017, 10:50 AM
You know I love my brother, Coach Hendrix; I think just about every move he's made (many of those 'moves' not visible to the general public) since accepting the HC position at FU has been near-perfect; and I am pulling for an amazing 2017 and a return to Furman Football glory in the years ahead...but I'm starting to get a little Chattttttttown-esque vibe from your posts, PF.

I might consider dialing it back just a wee little bit until about 9 or 10 PM on 9/2; just my thoughts...you, do you, of course.

I'm cognizant that Furman has had a lot of attrition and roster turnover. They will have to rely on some younger guys to step up and take on roles that had been long held by some entrenched starters.

I have never gotten the impression watching Furman play the last few years that they had inferior talent to their opponents. If that were the case, Citadel, Wofford, and UTC would have blown Furman out last year. None of them did. Chattown is reluctant to accept the mortality of UTC football. I accept the mortality, but just note that Furman has more talent than you would expect out of a 3 or 4 win team.

Wofford will be a tough challenge. The defense is going to be extremely inexperienced and that's a tough group to face out of the gate. I think Furman will go as far as the offense carries them. Blazejowski has done a number on Wofford's defense before, so I'm hoping that magic carries over one more time.

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I know it's hard to keep your facts straight in the low country… but his neck injury happened after a ten-yard pass reception. Give your defense some credit too, he had already had six rushes for little to no gain before he caught the pass. Also should have been a spearing penalty on that play.

To BF's credit, they knew Morehead is special and played it safe.

When I saw it it in real time, I thought it was an borderline hit by the Citadel defender. It looked like he lead with his helmet and collided with Morehead high. Those plays can some times be difficult to diagnose in full speed.

Morehead was interviewed after today's practice and confirmed what I suspected.

PaladinNation
August 10th, 2017, 07:51 PM
When I saw it it in real time, I thought it was an borderline hit by the Citadel defender. It looked like he lead with his helmet and collided with Morehead high. Those plays can some times be difficult to diagnose in full speed.

The play is bang bang, and a wicked helmet to helmet hit by the defender coming up at the end of the play. ANd Morehead walked off the field on his own not a cart… the play is at the 56:55 mark. There's also a replay that shows the hit to the crown of the helmet.

https://youtu.be/lwpElldzYGU

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2017, 07:56 PM
The play is bang bang, and a wicked helmet to helmet hit by the defender coming up at the end of the play. ANd Morehead walked off the field on his own not a cart… the play is at the 56:55 mark.

https://youtu.be/lwpElldzYGU

Contrary to Citdog's take, Morehead delivered the blow, knocked the Citadel defender back two yards, and walked off the field.

The only thing the Citadel defender did was attempt a poor tackle and get run over.

FUBeAR
August 10th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Well...since I just posted this on the FU Board, I might as well jump into the fray with my 1.8 cents worth...

So - here are my thoughts...
1) Morehead did a GREAT job of getting down behind his pads, securing the ball, and getting upfield, getting all he could get out of the play...
2) Then he ducked his head...a little bit...DON'T DUCK YOUR HEAD. EVER. AT ALL. NEVER!!! EYES UP!!!!!!
3) Pre-Season SoCon DPOY, Kailik Williams #7 from CIT is lucky to still be walking, much less playing football. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE technique. When guys that played for me did that, I pulled 'em out...they had to sit beside me...and get some remedial tackling training, and prove to me that they KNEW to keep their heads/eyes up before I would let them go back in the game.

Penalty? If Morehead doesn't also duck his head, I think the SoCon Officials call that...even at El Cid. With him also contributing to the helmet-to-helmet, I can see why they didn't call it...but Williams technique was SO BAD...they should have...if nothing else, as a TEACHING MOMENT for him. If he does that often, he won't be playing too long...and we can all visit his GoFundMe page for his medical bills...not a joke...KEEP YOUR EYES UP #7. We don't need anymore permanently damaged young men!!!

ElCid
August 10th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Contrary to Citdog's take, Morehead delivered the blow, knocked the Citadel defender back two yards, and walked off the field.

The only thing the Citadel defender did was attempt a poor tackle and get run over.

Yeah, I think you guys are stretching a bit. The runner was all ready going down from another defender who had him in his grasp and the runner went low fast. The defender who "hit" him was going low for his legs. The runner just went down fast and the helmets hit. They just happen to collide. The Citadel defender was not even moving forward at the time, so yeah, Morehead did deliver the blow. You can interpret the hit all you want, but it was not a bad hit and just an unfortunate collision. The replay at 57:47 is the best view of it.

Oh yeah, even if the runner was going down already, it was not a very good job by the defender.

FUBeAR
August 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM
The defender who "hit" him was going low for his legs.

Wasn't.

Eyes Up #7 - ONLY hit what you SEE. Same for #23...and anyone else playing this crazy game we love.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Wasn't.

Eyes Up #7 - ONLY hit what you SEE. Same for #23...and anyone else playing this crazy game we love.

This may help. No way he was going for Morehead's legs…
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25777&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25776&stc=1

ElCid
August 11th, 2017, 01:13 PM
This may help. No way he was going for Morehead's legs…

I looked at the video in real time a number of times. I think you have to look at it in motion and not from a still. You need to see movement leading up to it. He was crouching down as the runner approached. But with the runner already in the grasp of 23, and going down, I believe he was thinking it over and held up a little. Its not a big deal, but to say it was a bad hit is not really fair. Especially with the runner head down and falling. It happened real fast.

PaladinFan
August 11th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I looked at the video in real time a number of times. I think you have to look at it in motion and not from a still. You need to see movement leading up to it. He was crouching down as the runner approached. But with the runner already in the grasp of 23, and going down, I believe he was thinking it over and held up a little. Its not a big deal, but to say it was a bad hit is not really fair. Especially with the runner head down and falling. It happened real fast.

Just my take, and really has nothing to do with the teams involved, but with two men dragging him down, #7 is only coming in there to hurt someone.

To me, the proof is in the fact that he is not bringing either his arms or his hips with him on the tackle. If that doesn't qualify as targeting (I mean, he sure isn't trying to tackle him), then I don't know what is.

I realize it was bang bang, but in this era that probably should be a penalty. The runner there, in my view, is defenseless. He's got two defenders draped over him and is going down. I'm not saying it was intentional, but these are precisely the type of plays the rule is there to mitigate.

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2017, 01:48 PM
to say it was a bad hit is not really fair.

I agree. To say it was a 'bad hit' completely understates how TERRIBLE & AWFUL it was. If he he came flying in full speed with his eyes/head up & knocked all the Purple off of Morehead's uniform, broke down every bone in his body, and caused internal bleeding from every organ, I would say it was a good hit...and that's just Football. Instead, he tried to position himself to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. With the prior incident, which I think may have occurred around the time you were in school there, I would think you guys might feel as strongly about this as I do. It shouldn't be minimized or fall into the realm of 'boosterism.' It was TERRIBLE & I hope he, nor any other Football Player will duck their head to make a hit like that ever again. They will...but I hope & pray that they won't. EYES UP / HEAD UP / ONLY hit what you SEE

ElCid
August 11th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I agree. To say it was a 'bad hit' completely understates how TERRIBLE & AWFUL it was. If he he came flying in full speed with his eyes/head up & knocked all the Purple off of Morehead's uniform, broke down every bone in his body, and caused internal bleeding from every organ, I would say it was a good hit...and that's just Football. Instead, he tried to position himself to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. With the prior incident, which I think may have occurred around the time you were in school there, I would think you guys might feel as strongly about this as I do. It shouldn't be minimized or fall into the realm of 'boosterism.' It was TERRIBLE & I hope he, nor any other Football Player will duck their head to make a hit like that ever again. They will...but I hope & pray that they won't. EYES UP / HEAD UP / ONLY hit what you SEE

I didn't say it was a smart move. I really think he just didn't expect the runner to be going down at that time. The defender was not moving very much at the time. He thought with his body and not his head. But I think he a bit better now with another year under his belt considering he is the SOCON preseason defensive player of the year.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2017, 02:01 PM

I'm not going to labor on this anymore… I wanted to address the BS post by CitDog that Morehead was a pu$$y and was carted off the field on the second play. None of which is true. No matter what say about it, it was a vicious collision. Both parties seem to be ok now. I'm sure Morehead and the DINS can't wait for Nov. 11th.