View Full Version : Week Zero TV Games for FCS

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2017, 10:42 AM
If I am not mistaken, the rule that the FCS passed indicated you can only play on Week Zero if you are in a nationally televised game (and I guess, if you have the Hawaii exemption too - just like FBS has done).

Has anyone seen anything from the SWAC or MEAC on TV for FAMU/Texas Southern? I've checked everywhere and even some of the FCS national pundits have asked (with no response) the schools.

It looks like ESPN2 could very well have an opening as ESPN & ESPNU are committed. Don't recall SWAC, MEAC having deals outside the ESPN family of networks. Anyone got a scoop?

Saturday, August 26th
Portland State at BYU 2:00 pm ESPN / WatchESPN
Florida A&M vs. Texas Southern 5:00 pm TBA
Hawaii at UMass 5:00 pm ?ELVN?
Chattanooga vs. Jacksonville State 5:30 pm ESPN / WatchESPN
Colgate at Cal Poly 6:00 pm ESPNU / WatchESPN
South Florida at San Jose State 6:30 pm CBSSN / CBSSN Video
Rice vs. Stanford (Sydney) 9:00 pm ESPN / WatchESPN

Sunday, August, 27th
Richmond at Sam Houston State 6:00 pm ESPNU / WatchESPN

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Why are you listing FBS games?

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Why are you listing FBS games?

I bolded the FCS games and wanted to show the FBS games from the standpoint of - not sure when/where the TSU vs FAMU game being televised and where may be a natural fit.

Professor Chaos
August 4th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Quite the FCS Kickoff for JSU and Chatty with a bunch of other games spoiling the party. I would guess this is the last year the FCS Kickoff game is on the ESPN mothership given the fact that college football is no longer a novelty in week 0 with all these games happening. That NDSU/Montana game in 2015 showed how good of a showcase it could be but there's too many games to share the stage with now.

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Quite the FCS Kickoff for JSU and Chatty with a bunch of other games spoiling the party. I would guess this is the last year the FCS Kickoff game is on the ESPN mothership given the fact that college football is no longer a novelty in week 0 with all these games happening. That NDSU/Montana game in 2015 showed how good of a showcase it could be but there's too many games to share the stage with now.

Yep. With all of the FBS games saying, "hey let us play too on week zero!", espn is saying, SURE! We'll be on ESPNU by next year I'm sure.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2017, 12:10 PM

We were all thinking last year would be the last year too.

I do not think that door is going to close for FCS games on 'Week Zero' but agree that the amount of eyeballs itching for football due to the options will change with more games. None of the games on 'Week Zero' feature two "name brand" teams at the FBS level. Not sure you can delineate a difference between any of them. I dare say Rice v Stanford, just because its in primetime from coast-to-coast and because in Sydney and featuring a P5 school may be the top dog in the group?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2017, 12:20 PM
The idea of kids leaving the paradise of Hawai'i and then having to play UMass in August in Springfield, Mass just amuses me to no end. And then they have to start the game at 5:00 PM!

ElCid
August 4th, 2017, 12:23 PM
The idea of kids leaving the paradise of Hawai'i and then having to play UMass in August in Springfield, Mass just amuses me to no end. And then they have to start the game at 5:00 PM!

I would have made it a noon start if I was in UMass.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I would have made it a noon start if I was in UMass.

That way the fans in Hawai'i could mercifully watch the game over morning coffee and enjoy the sun the rest of the day and forget what they just saw.

ElCid
August 4th, 2017, 12:32 PM
That way the fans in Hawai'i could mercifully watch the game over morning coffee and enjoy the sun the rest of the day and forget what they just saw.

Well yeah, but even better, Hawaii would be way out of sorts trying to play a game at 0600 (Hawaii time). It is funny you say that. I used to wake up early on Sunday morning (0500'ish) and watch college football when I was in Guam. Way weird.

ASU33
August 4th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Folks on the HBCU boards have been discussing the same thing about the TSU/FAMU game but no answer from either so far.

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Folks on the HBCU boards have been discussing the same thing about the TSU/FAMU game but no answer from either so far.

Would the game have to be moved to week 1 if no national outlet picks it up?

ASU33
August 4th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Would the game have to be moved to week 1 if no national outlet picks it up?

From my understanding the NCAA wouldn't recognize and stats from the game so basically it would be an exhibition with both teams leaving 0-0.

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2017, 01:28 PM
From my understanding the NCAA wouldn't recognize and stats from the game so basically it would be an exhibition with both teams leaving 0-0.

Wow at that point, you might as well move the game.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2017, 02:45 PM

The SWAC has played several exhibitions in recent years so it wouldn't be much of a change. It would be a shame though as it wouldn't count towards either school's effort(s) to make the playoffs, if they were within range.

Was it Virginia-Lynchburg and University of Faith or something like that which have played some SWAC schools and they could not count the result?

Serpentor
August 4th, 2017, 04:03 PM
The SWAC has played several exhibitions in recent years so it wouldn't be much of a change. It would be a shame though as it wouldn't count towards either school's effort(s) to make the playoffs, if they were within range.

Was it Virginia-Lynchburg and University of Faith or something like that which have played some SWAC schools and they could not count the result?

HBU played the College of Faith in 2015. Pretty such it was counted as a exhibition game.

WestCoastAggie
August 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM
It's supposedly a 12 noon start time for the sTu/FAMU game. It's supposedly will be shown on ESPN.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM
HBU played the College of Faith in 2015. Pretty such it was counted as a exhibition game.

Correct. HBU did play the same College of Faith which I believe played Texas Southern that same year.

It's supposedly a 12 noon start time for the sTu/FAMU game. It's supposedly will be shown on ESPN.

Didn't both schools just announce like last week that it was a 5 PM start time? It may have been this week! And now they are changing it after they finally announced it? #confusing

ASU33
August 4th, 2017, 09:17 PM

The SWAC has not played "several" exhibitions that's false. Texas Southern played University of Lynchburg in 2015, Grambling had no AD and got stuck with Lynchburg last year, and Mississippi Valley has Lynchburg on the schedule this season.

Sandlapper Spike
August 5th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Still no word on TV for Texas Southern-Florida A&M...and both schools are still listing the game as a 6 pm ET kickoff.

JALMOND
August 5th, 2017, 01:46 PM

I doubt it will be on at that time on ESPN. PSU/BYU has a 3.5 hour block before Chatty/J'Ville State, and that one has a 3.5 hour block before Rice/Stanford. I don't think ESPN would give Tex Southern/FAMU only a 2hr block. Got a link where this was reported as such?

RootinFerDukes
August 5th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I doubt it will be on at that time on ESPN. PSU/BYU has a 3.5 hour block before Chatty/J'Ville State, and that one has a 3.5 hour block before Rice/Stanford. I don't think ESPN would give Tex Southern/FAMU only a 2hr block. Got a link where this was reported as such?

He probably means... an ESPN network. ESPN2 or ESPNU are more likely.

ASU33
August 5th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Still no word on TV for Texas Southern-Florida A&M...and both schools are still listing the game as a 6 pm ET kickoff.

Both schools are being tight lipped about it. Even the alumns from both schools are on edge about this.

Lorne_Malvo
August 5th, 2017, 06:01 PM
He probably means... an ESPN network. ESPN2 or ESPNU are more likely. A side note regarding ESPNU. On 8/8/17 it will be the OCHO for the day. The programming lineup is pretty hilarious.

WestCoastAggie
August 6th, 2017, 10:44 AM

No article, just told this from TSU alumni. Oddly enough, FAMU Alums say the game will be played at 6 PM.

It's just confusing.

I honestly believe it will be an ESPN3/ESPNU Tape Delay scenario that most other ESPN MEAC/SWAC Games are shown, regardless of game time.

RootinFerDukes
August 6th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I don't think they should be able to play a game under the "must be nationally televised" rule only for it to be streaming on espn3. That isn't REALLY nationally televised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
August 6th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I don't think they should be able to play a game under the "must be nationally televised" rule only for it to be streaming on espn3. That isn't REALLY nationally televised.

It'll be an ESPN loophole, I guess.

We'll see.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Still do not understand how both schools announced it would be a 6 PM kick a week or two ago and now here we are a few weeks out finding out it's a noon kick?

===

Florida A&M's football team is getting an early start to the 2017 college football season.

The Rattlers will open their season Aug. 26 at home against Texas Southern. The game, dubbed the Jake Gaithersburg Classic, will be played at noon -- it was originally scheduled for 6 p.m.

FAMU Athletic Director Milton Overton Jr. confirmed the move was the result of the ESPN deal for the game. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Full Story (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/08/09/famu-opener-against-texas-southern-moved-noon/552786001/)

Sandlapper Spike
August 9th, 2017, 12:37 PM
"Jake Gaithersburg"

I'm glad the game got a TV slot, though.

ASU33
August 9th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Still do not understand how both schools announced it would be a 6 PM kick a week or two ago and now here we are a few weeks out finding out it's a noon kick?

===

Florida A&M's football team is getting an early start to the 2017 college football season.

The Rattlers will open their season Aug. 26 at home against Texas Southern. The game, dubbed the Jake Gaithersburg Classic, will be played at noon -- it was originally scheduled for 6 p.m.

FAMU Athletic Director Milton Overton Jr. confirmed the move was the result of the ESPN deal for the game. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Full Story (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/08/09/famu-opener-against-texas-southern-moved-noon/552786001/)

I'm pretty sure that's Jake Gaither

TSUalum05
August 16th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is the 1st college football game of the season. If so, thats fantastic.

dgtw
August 17th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Because who doesn't want to stand outside at noon in August in Florida?