PDA

View Full Version : Geoergetown-Harvard Game Moved To RFK Stadium

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2017, 10:24 AM
http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080117aaa.html

RichH2
August 1st, 2017, 10:41 AM
Not too shabby DFW :). Hopefully good exposure for Hoyas. Gotta beat those Cantabs.

crusader11
August 1st, 2017, 10:56 AM
SRO?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2017, 11:06 AM
Great news! A big game for the Hoyas just got even bigger.

Go Green
August 1st, 2017, 11:38 AM
Cool!

Would be nice if this becomes a regular thing for Georgetown against Ivy opponents. MSF just isn't big enough....

Anthony215
August 1st, 2017, 12:17 PM
I wonder how many people will actually come out to RFK for this game. Can't imagine more than 3000 fans coming. Why not use Maryland's home field which is probably cheaper to rent than RFK Stadium unless it was free to use the stadium and the school is just sharing parking/concession with the stadium.

Anthony215
August 1st, 2017, 12:27 PM
Looks like all tickets are priced to go between $7 and $12 so profit from game tickets will be minimum. I wonder if Harvard will take Amtrak down to DC sort of how the Eagles and Giants travel to DC when playing the Skins. Would be a great experience for their team I would think.

Go Green
August 1st, 2017, 12:41 PM
I wonder how many people will actually come out to RFK for this game. Can't imagine more than 3000 fans coming.

Assuming pleasant weather, I'm guessing 10,000. Both schools' alums will probably think it's neat.

van
August 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM
I wonder how many people will actually come out to RFK for this game. Can't imagine more than 3000 fans coming. Why not use Maryland's home field which is probably cheaper to rent than RFK Stadium unless it was free to use the stadium and the school is just sharing parking/concession with the stadium.

actually, Hoyas draw much better than one would expect based on their record, I would expect a pretty good turn out

JayMYou
August 1st, 2017, 01:43 PM
Too bad RFK isn't stumbling distance from K Street/M Street bars, you might fill the place. Though I do think anyone willing to make that walk (even in broad daylight) deserves to get in for free. I once made the opposite journey after a Dead show but I'm big and ugly.

Go Green
August 1st, 2017, 01:54 PM
Too bad RFK isn't stumbling distance from K Street/M Street bars, you might fill the place. Though I do think anyone willing to make that walk (even in broad daylight) deserves to get in for free. I once made the opposite journey after a Dead show but I'm big and ugly.

The surrounding neighborhood around RFK is MUCH nicer than it was a generation ago. Common to see families going for evening walks not even a few blocks from the place.

The stadium itself, though... is still a complete dump.

JayMYou
August 1st, 2017, 02:46 PM
The surrounding neighborhood around RFK is MUCH nicer than it was a generation ago. Common to see families going for evening walks not even a few blocks from the place.

The stadium itself, though... is still a complete dump.

Wow. When I was living in the DC area my girlfriend at the time was house sitting near Lincoln Park and during the one night we spent there my car was broken into and the guy renting the basement apartment was robbed at gunpoint. Beautiful house, just couldn't leave it without kevlar and a flamethrower. Guess things have improved since Marion Barry.

Go Green
August 1st, 2017, 04:24 PM
Wow. When I was living in the DC area my girlfriend at the time was house sitting near Lincoln Park and during the one night we spent there my car was broken into and the guy renting the basement apartment was robbed at gunpoint. Beautiful house, just couldn't leave it without kevlar and a flamethrower. Guess things have improved since Marion Barry.

They have indeed changed. Those houses in the Lincoln Park area go for $500-$800K today.

CFBfan
August 1st, 2017, 04:28 PM

RFK..nice venue MD makes no sense at all

cx500d
August 1st, 2017, 06:44 PM
They have indeed changed. Those houses in the Lincoln Park area go for $500-$800K today.

I don't go east of the Capitol

Son of Eli
August 1st, 2017, 07:23 PM
Cool!

Would be nice if this becomes a regular thing for Georgetown against Ivy opponents. MSF just isn't big enough....

I'd be all for Yale scheduling Georgetown again if at least one of the games were played at RFK. It would make for a great road trip.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2017, 07:26 PM
I don't go east of the Capitol

East of the Capitol is highly gentrified. Homes near RFK average over $570,000 on the market and many go for over $1 million.

Much of this is due to rapid gentrification of mostly young, mostly white families into Northeast. It's a sensitive, complicated subject in a city which took pride in the black experience and was once 70% African American. Today, DC is just 48% African-American and Ward 6, near RFK, is now majority white.

I'd be all for Yale scheduling Georgetown again if at least one of the games were played at RFK. It would make for a great road trip.
Indirectly, this may force Georgetown to understand that Cooper Field cannot attract quality opponents to play there.

CHIP72
August 1st, 2017, 07:27 PM
Looks like all tickets are priced to go between $7 and $12 so profit from game tickets will be minimum. I wonder if Harvard will take Amtrak down to DC sort of how the Eagles and Giants travel to DC when playing the Skins. Would be a great experience for their team I would think.

That would be one LONG train ride...

CHIP72
August 1st, 2017, 07:30 PM
RFK Stadium is still a good place to watch a game, even if it is a dump nowadays.

The last time I was there was for the July 4th all-day concert bash featuring the Foo Fighters in 2015. Good times, provided you didn't need to buy food or drinks.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 2nd, 2017, 12:08 AM
Great news!

PAllen
August 2nd, 2017, 12:16 AM
Glad to see GU doing anything to promote the program. I hope against hope it is wildly successful and becomes at least a once a year thing.

Go Green
August 2nd, 2017, 05:55 AM
East of the Capitol is highly gentrified. Homes near RFK average over $570,000 on the market and many go for over $1 million.

Much of this is due to rapid gentrification of mostly young, mostly white families into Northeast. It's a sensitive, complicated subject in a city which took pride in the black experience and was once 70% African American. Today, DC is just 48% African-American and Ward 6, near RFK, is now majority white.

Pertinent to this point is that the Georgetown-Harvard game is apparently replacing the Nation's Football Classic, which has been showcasing games between HBCUs (usually Howard).

Ivytalk
August 2nd, 2017, 06:17 AM
Good to see another FCS game in a bigger venue. Maybe they can goose the attendance by saying, "Hey, Washington, Drain the Swamp! See Harvard-GTown on 9/30!"

Lehigh Football Nation
August 2nd, 2017, 07:38 AM
Good to see another FCS game in a bigger venue. Maybe they can goose the attendance by saying, "Hey, Washington, Drain the Swamp! See Harvard-GTown on 9/30!"

"See the largest crowd ever assembled to watch a college football game. Period."

Ivytalk
August 2nd, 2017, 07:56 AM
"See the largest crowd ever assembled to watch a college football game. Period."
Fake news! I love it!xlmaoxxbowx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 2nd, 2017, 10:42 AM
AMERICAN CARNAGE: Harvard vs. Georgetown, 9/30/17

dgtw
August 2nd, 2017, 10:56 AM
Today I learned RFK Stadium still exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Green
August 2nd, 2017, 11:21 AM
Today I learned RFK Stadium still exists.

Not for long, though. It's going to be demolished next year and replaced with an athletic complex.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/01/05/half-billion-dollar-plans-for-rfk-stadium-site-include-sports-center-market-rfk-memorial/?utm_term=.e4dc167fe660

DFW HOYA
August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Not for long, though. It's going to be demolished next year and replaced with an athletic complex.

The city has a lease on RFK through 2038 and the location remains a significant carrot to get Dan Snyder to move the Redskins back to town. Besides, DC is full of plans that get marooned in the regulatory process. Remember this one?

http://www.thehoya.com/major-additions-planned-to-multi-sport-facility/

Ivytalk
August 2nd, 2017, 12:42 PM
AMERICAN CARNAGE: Harvard vs. Georgetown, 9/30/17
It wasn't carnage last year. Harvard played like crap and was lucky to win.

ASU33
August 2nd, 2017, 12:49 PM
Good move. Hopefully the game will draw well.

Go Green
August 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
The city has a lease on RFK through 2038 and the location remains a significant carrot to get Dan Snyder to move the Redskins back to town.

For a variety of reasons, I do not see that happening. Barring an economic collapse similar to that of 2007-08, I personally expect DC to fully develop the RFK land for reasons that we've discussed previously--the East Capitol/NE region is booming and development of the RFK area will continue that trend.

Unless there are some high school games played there that I don't know about, Georgetown v. Harvard could very well be the last football game played at RFK.

We will see...

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2017, 03:00 PM
Glad to see GU doing anything to promote the program. I hope against hope it is wildly successful and becomes at least a once a year thing.

Agreed.