PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Coaching Jobs in FCS

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Not programs but the best jobs....

1. North Dakota State - wins at every level. tremendous support at every level
2. Delaware - great history, great recruiting footprint, strong fan base remains, great school
3. Harvard - resources, great pay, administration that supports athletics, not a ton of pressure, best school in the world
4. Sam Houston State -Texas recruiting, solid facilities
5. James Madison - large budget, great facilities, administration seems committed to FCS, beautiful campus/area
6. Youngstown State - Excellent history, Tressell is the school president, facilities and support well above average by FCS standards
7. Montana - great history, fan base and facilities but recruiting can't be easy
8. Northern Iowa -track record of success, visible university due to hoops, great conference, strong athletic department
9. Princeton - Awesome facilities and pay, little pressure, school recruits itself
10. Chattanooga - great area for recruiting, nice stadium, public school in a conference that's dominated by private ones
11. Villanova
12. Eastern Washington
13. Richmond
14. Lehigh
15. Penn
16. Jacksonville State
17. McNeese State
18. South Dakota State
19. Wofford
20. Montana State
21. Central Arkansas
22. Yale
23. Grambling State
24. Fordham
25. William & Mary

RootinFerDukes
July 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM
You've got to kidding me if you have us as far down as #5 AND sam houston state in front of us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 10:49 AM
You've got to kidding me if you have us as far down as #5 AND sam houston state in front of us.

SHSU is the best program in the Southland. Their main competition is McNeese State and UCA. They have the state of Texas at their disposal which is huge for future ties/connections when it comes to FBS gigs. JMU is awesome but there's certain things that I think make SHSU a little better job. That's not to say JMU is not a better program....

PaladinNation
July 28th, 2017, 10:55 AM

2. Delaware - great history, great recruiting footprint, strong fan base remains, great school
3. Harvard - resources, great pay, administration that supports athletics, not a ton of pressure, best school in the world
5. James Madison - large budget, great facilities, administration seems committed to FCS, beautiful campus/area
6. Youngstown State - Excellent history, Tressell is the school president, facilities and support well above average by FCS standards
7. Montana - great history, fan base and facilities but recruiting can't be easy
8. Northern Iowa -track record of success, visible university due to hoops, great conference, strong athletic department
9. Princeton - Awesome facilities and pay, little pressure, school recruits itself
10. Chattanooga - great area for recruiting, nice stadium, public school in a conference that's dominated by private ones
11. Villanova
12. Eastern Washington
13. Richmond
14. Lehigh
15. Penn
16. Jacksonville State
17. McNeese State
18. South Dakota State
19. Wofford
20. Montana State
21. Central Arkansas
22. Yale
23. Grambling State
24. Fordham
25. William & Mary

I would put Furman in the top ten, a few reasons.

Greenville, SC. Greenville is ranked at 35 in US News & World Report list of the best places to live.
https://livability.com/sc/greenville/real-estate/what-makes-greenville-sc-a-best-place-to-live

Excellent pay and benefits… Hendrix is making 250k+ plus standard of living in Greenville, the family is happy.

Furman campus. Beautiful. Furman academics. FU is ranked No. 1 in SC and top five in the southeast by US News & World Report.

Football facilitates.The Football Complex is brand new and state of the art. http://www.furmanpaladins.com/athletics/facilities/paladin_football_stadium

When Furman is winning it doesn't get any better. Great school, booming city, great value for the salary, excellent location, next to the mountains, three hours to Charleston.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I would put Furman in the top ten, a few reasons.

Greenville, SC. Greenville is ranked at 35 in US News & World Report list of the best places to live.
https://livability.com/sc/greenville/real-estate/what-makes-greenville-sc-a-best-place-to-live

Excellent pay and benefits… Hendrix is making 250k+ plus standard of living in Greenville, the family is happy.

Furman campus. Beautiful. Furman academics. FU is ranked No. 1 in SC and top five in the southeast by US News & World Report.

Football facilitates.The Football Complex is brand new and state of the art. http://www.furmanpaladins.com/athletics/facilities/paladin_football_stadium

When Furman is winning it doesn't get any better. Great school, booming city, great value for the salary, excellent location, next to the mountains, three hours to Charleston.

I get the history and the location but I feel like Wofford has passed Furman out as the better private option over the last 15 years. Spartansburg is also great. Plus, Wofford hosts the Panthers training camp. With the departure of GSU and App State, Chattanooga is the best gig in the conference imo.

RootinFerDukes
July 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
SHSU is the best program in the Southland. Their main competition is McNeese State and UCA. They have the state of Texas at their disposal which is huge for future ties/connections when it comes to FBS gigs. JMU is awesome but there's certain things that I think make SHSU a little better job. That's not to say JMU is not a better program....

Sorry. I'm going to strongly agree to disagree here. JMU has four FBS programs in its state. SHSU has 12 FBS programs in its state. Much further down the fan and recruit food chain.

One pro sports city in the region vs their three pro sports cities.

PaladinNation
July 28th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I get the history and the location but I feel like Wofford has passed Furman out as the better private option over the last 15 years. Spartansburg is also great. Plus, Wofford hosts the Panthers training camp. With the departure of GSU and App State, Chattanooga is the best gig in the conference imo.

Seriously? I'm kidding a bit… but I have lived in Sparkle City my daughter lives there, big difference. You can't really compare the two cities. I tell you what you come down for the Furman/Wofford game I'll treat you to a walk and lunch of downtown Greenville then we'll head over to Wofford. I guarantee you will change your mind.

Mike Ayers is Wofford, much respect. When he does retire IMO it will be hard to continue their level of success. If Clay does what I think he will do at Furman, with the football complex and a rumour of a huge financial commitment to Furman football. The two schools don't compare. And let's not forget Furman has a national championship trophy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Sorry. I'm going to strongly agree to disagree here. JMU has four FBS programs in its state. SHSU has 12 FBS programs in its state. Much further down the fan and recruit food chain.

One pro sports city in the region vs their three pro sports cities.

We're splitting hairs over one spot. I also factored in JMU's FBS overtures. There's quite a few alums/fans that want to be in FBS. Another title might actually create an even more instability. I don't get those type of feelings out of SHSU.

Either way both are among the very best gigs in FCS.

IBleedYellow
July 28th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Wait now....Montana is harder to recruit to than....Fargo?

You...you crazy?

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Who came up with this dumb list?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM

You...you crazy?

Fargo is much more accessible than Missoula. I've lived in Montana, its isolated. The Twin Cities are a hope skip and jump from Fargo relative to Seattle or SLC for Missoula.

Coach Ash said one of the big issues with getting kids to come to MSU were the families. It's not cheap to hop on a plane and fly into a rather remote airport to visit. He relied on Texas and California quite a bit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Me...lol. Another discussion led me to this...

I feel like some don't get the different between best programs and best jobs....

dewey
July 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Fargo is much more accessible than Missoula. I've lived in Montana, its isolated. The Twin Cities are a hope skip and jump from Fargo relative to Seattle or SLC for Missoula.

Coach Ash said one of the big issues with getting kids to come to MSU were the families. It's not cheap to hop on a plane and fly into a rather remote airport to visit. He relied on Texas and California quite a bit.

This makes sense to me. Like you said Fargo is 3.5 hours from Minneapolis, 3 hours from Sioux Falls and about 5-6 hours from Omaha. What is Missoula's biggest nearby large city? Spokane? Boise?

Dewey

IBleedYellow
July 28th, 2017, 11:25 AM

I guess, that make sense...just. Montana is gorgeous. Their campus is way cooler than NDSU's...the scenery is amazing - I think that I could see that being a huge draw.

POD Knows
July 28th, 2017, 11:26 AM
This makes sense to me. Like you said Fargo is 3.5 hours from Minneapolis, 3 hours from Sioux Falls and about 5-6 hours from Omaha. What is Missoula's biggest nearby large city? Spokane? Boise?

Dewey

Calgary

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25574&stc=1

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2017, 11:29 AM

I would beg to differ

Professor Chaos
July 28th, 2017, 11:33 AM
And when the Yellowstone super volcano erupts Missoula and Bozeman are toast.

BEAR
July 28th, 2017, 11:40 AM

And even more why is UCA even on it? Poor facilities, poor athletic administration, poor coaches pay, poor recruiting grounds....

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 11:51 AM
And even more why is UCA even on it? Poor facilities, poor athletic administration, poor coaches pay, poor recruiting grounds....

Track record of success at UCA, able to compete yearly in a perceived "second tier" FCS conference, no in-state FCS competition that participate in the playoffs, within the SEC footprint for promotions.

Redbird 4th & short
July 28th, 2017, 12:00 PM

I feel like some don't get the different between best programs and best jobs....

let me know when you start a list for "most improved program in last decade overcoming 50 years of absolute mediocrity and inconistency" .. if that list doesn't have ISU in Top 5, we're going to war !!!

RootinFerDukes
July 28th, 2017, 12:07 PM
let me know when you start a list for "most improved program in last decade overcoming 50 years of absolute mediocrity and inconistency" .. if that list doesn't have ISU in Top 5, we're going to war !!!

If JMU isn't #1 on the list of "programs to win a title 12 years after the last one", I might have to reach through the computer.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM

When I saw the title I thought "Cool want to see the reasonings" and all that. I didn't know if it was gonna be an article from someone else or if it was your opinion. When I saw it was your opinion I was fairly impressed with your effort even if I don't agree with it all. Great work on adding some discussion here like this and I think the opinions of others are good to look at as well.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this should be an article....with other members allowed to inject some of their reasoning and see if your opinion changes. Are you interested in doing it?

BisonTru
July 28th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Interesting note:

10. Chattanooga
13. Richmond

Yet, Huesman just left Chatty for Richmond.

Professor Chaos
July 28th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Interesting note:

10. Chattanooga
13. Richmond

I believe that was a move that made $ense for him.

In terms of financial compensation I think Towson is another one that most probably wouldn't consider a prime job but pays very well. I believe Ambrose makes well north of $300k.

grizband
July 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM

DeweyDriving distance, Spokane and Seattle are both closer than Boise.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Catatonic
July 28th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Track record of success at UCA, able to compete yearly in a perceived "second tier" FCS conference, no in-state FCS competition that participate in the playoffs, within the SEC footprint for promotions.

You left out the most important reason:

http://www.hogdb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/uca-purple-field-6.jpg

Thumper 76
July 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM

11. Villanova
12. Eastern Washington
13. Richmond
14. Lehigh
15. Penn
16. Jacksonville State
17. McNeese State
18. South Dakota State
19. Wofford
20. Montana State
21. Central Arkansas
22. Yale
23. Grambling State
24. Fordham
25. William & Mary

Wow, Nova, EWU, and Lehigh over SDSU? Two of the places without even half the support or facilities, and a place where you have to try to recruit with the restrictions the PL puts on you compared to other places? Especially with how fan support and facilities have exploded in the past ten years at SDSU? I get living somewhere nicer than Brookings matters, to a point. But especially with EWU and Nova, come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Georgetown is a better job than Wofford or UCA. Good salary, great location, and student-athletes that aren't going to give a coach sleepless nights.

Don't conflate "top program" with "top job".

drpnut
July 28th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I agree with my Paladin friends that Greenville is a nicer city than the 'Burg (where I grew up and graduated Wofford). However, Spartanburg has come a long way in the last 5 years. Furman has the longer history of success, etc. But last 12-14 years or so Woffy has been a better football team. The thread is about best jobs, not best overall programs. My Paladin friends did make some very good points about value in Greenville. But the same can be said about the 'Burg. A very nice house in G-vegas will set one back 250-300. You can get the same house in a good neighborhood in Sparkle City for less money. And if one has a need for the "fun, trendy, environment of Greenville it is only a 25 min ride. And the job itself: There is very little pressure on the coaches. But in G'vegas if Coach Hendrix were to have a spell of 3 down years or so he would be gone. Because of this I would say right now, Woffy is a little better of a job.

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2017, 01:05 PM

In terms of financial compensation I think Towson is another one that most probably wouldn't consider a prime job but pays very well. I believe Ambrose makes well north of $300k.
Yeah, it made sense because Chatty can't come close to the amount of change Richmond can offer.

BEAR
July 28th, 2017, 01:07 PM
You left out the most important reason:

http://www.hogdb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/uca-purple-field-6.jpg

You're right. why would THIS get the attention of prospects..

http://www.sportsfieldremoval.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Southland_Central_Arkansas__Estes_Stadium__1920x12 00.jpg

IBleedYellow
July 28th, 2017, 01:14 PM
You're right. why would THIS get the attention of prospects..

http://www.sportsfieldremoval.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Southland_Central_Arkansas__Estes_Stadium__1920x12 00.jpg

Some people don't like purple.

IBleedYellow
July 28th, 2017, 01:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgpQwk7U4AAJe66.jpg

I have to say...4 years ago would NDSU have even made this list?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I agree with my Paladin friends that Greenville is a nicer city than the 'Burg (where I grew up and graduated Wofford). However, Spartanburg has come a long way in the last 5 years. Furman has the longer history of success, etc. But last 12-14 years or so Woffy has been a better football team. The thread is about best jobs, not best overall programs. My Paladin friends did make some very good points about value in Greenville. But the same can be said about the 'Burg. A very nice house in G-vegas will set one back 250-300. You can get the same house in a good neighborhood in Sparkle City for less money. And if one has a need for the "fun, trendy, environment of Greenville it is only a 25 min ride. And the job itself: There is very little pressure on the coaches. But in G'vegas if Coach Hendrix were to have a spell of 3 down years or so he would be gone. Because of this I would say right now, Woffy is a little better of a job.

Agree with this and good logic. Liked traveling that area a whole lot. Greenville is very nice and Spartanburg was not bad from what I could tell...but so close to Greenville it's really not like you wouldn't be able to enjoy anything Greenville has. It didn't even seem like 25 miles to me really. As long as I can get to Tommy's Ham House in under a 1/2 hr. I'm all good to coach at either. xlolx

KPSUL
July 28th, 2017, 01:37 PM

11. Villanova
12. Eastern Washington
13. Richmond
14. Lehigh
15. Penn
16. Jacksonville State
17. McNeese State
18. South Dakota State
19. Wofford
20. Montana State
21. Central Arkansas
22. Yale
23. Grambling State
24. Fordham
25. William & Mary

Did you forget how to spell UNH ?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Did you forget how to spell UNH ?

Great program right now but i think it's really a niche gig given their competition with the CAA. No instate recruiting too..m

UNH, EKU and Furman were the toughest to rank imo...

DirtyDukes
July 28th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Everyone In this Thread: https://m.popkey.co/3d55bd/DyVy5.gif

KPSUL
July 28th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Great program right now but i think it's really a niche gig given their competition with the CAA.

UNH, EKU and Furman were the toughest to rank imo...

This is from your post that started the thread: "Not programs but the best jobs...."

Your right, 13 years of making the payoffs is just a temporal sort of thing. Two head coaches in 43 years, the current coach has won two Robinson awards and the previous is in the College Football Hall of Fame. A flash in the pan period of success like that could blow up on you anytime!

PaladinNation
July 28th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Agree with this and good logic. Liked traveling that area a whole lot. Greenville is very nice and Spartanburg was not bad from what I could tell...but so close to Greenville it's really not like you wouldn't be able to enjoy anything Greenville has. It didn't even seem like 25 miles to me really. As long as I can get to Tommy's Ham House in under a 1/2 hr. I'm all good to coach at either. xlolx

I totally get this, it's subjective, unless you have some kinda categories to compare too, then it's still up to people to put some numbers to the categories. For me "best job" includes a ton of factors. As a senior partner at a creative services firm in Greenville. We have to battle some big cities for people. Austin, Atlanta, Portland and LA. Greenville surprises people and I include big city brands and organizations. If your a millennial Greenville is your town, city living, bars, pubs, craft beers, artsy stuff everywhere. None of our 30 and under would live in Spartanburg, Furman students hang in downtown, even Clemson and SC are now trying to get a presence in downtown Greenville. I don't dislike Spartanburg, it's just a different type of town.

A job requires tons of factors; who is your boss, who are your peers, what are the resources, will I be happy, will I feel welcome, will I get what I need to be successful. I'm basically going from what I expect to be on a future employee right job or wrong job list.

chattownmocs
July 28th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Interesting note:

10. Chattanooga
13. Richmond

Pay. Plus richmonds players are so much more intelligent than chattanoogas even though he recruited them.So I guess richmond should be higher. Was salary factored in.

KPSUL
July 28th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Pay. Plus richmonds players are so much more intelligent than chattanoogas even though he recruited them.So I guess richmond should be higher. Was salary factored in.

You've got to realize that there was absolutely no criteria established for this list and zero research done as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 02:15 PM
You've got to realize that there was absolutely no criteria established for this list and zero research done as well.

I took plenty of time

Factors i used in no particular order
- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I totally get this, it's subjective, unless you have some kinda categories to compare too, then it's still up to people to put some numbers to the categories. For me "best job" includes a ton of factors. As a senior partner at a creative services firm in Greenville. We have to battle some big cities for people. Austin, Atlanta, Portland and LA. Greenville surprises people and I include big city brands and organizations. If your a millennial Greenville is your town, city living, bars, pubs, craft beers, artsy stuff everywhere. None of our 30 and under would live in Spartanburg, Furman students hang in downtown, even Clemson and SC are now trying to get a presence in downtown Greenville. I don't dislike Spartanburg, it's just a different type of town.

A job requires tons of factors; who is your boss, who are your peers, what are the resources, will I be happy, will I feel welcome, will I get what I need to be successful. I'm basically going from what I expect to be on a future employee right job or wrong job list.

There is a pretty decent chance Wofford falls off the map when Ayers retires.

At the FCS level, I have a hard time believing Furman shouldn't be well up the list. You make good money, don't have a fan base breathing down your neck, the city is great, just outside one of the biggest recruiting areas in the country (Atlanta metro) and the school sells itself to recruits and their families.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities

Yet you didn't rank Furman. I'll put them up against just about any other program in the country on most of those categories.

The Pud
July 28th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Very insightful and truthful. Look at how far Tom Herman has gone since his days coaching at Sammy.

PAllen
July 28th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

You missed out on a few big ones like:
- Visibility
- History of moving up to a larger (FBS) gig

Most coaches don't want to be like Tavani

ST_Lawson
July 28th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Some people don't like purple.

https://ci.memecdn.com/9267781.jpg

Model Citizen
July 28th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Dale Lindsey wouldn't trade his job for any of the above.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25580&stc=1

Sader87
July 28th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Holy Cross....it seems that you can't get fired there......

SU DOG
July 28th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Yet you didn't rank Furman. I'll put them up against just about any other program in the country on most of those categories.

Well, if Furman belongs in there, then I think maybe I'll throw in Samford. Whenever there is a football camp(an often overlooked income source), then it's easy to see how much of an advantage the B'ham Metro Area can be. Hundreds of kids can sign up instead of a few dozen as at some more isolated areas. Recruiting this region is a no-brainer, and the school sells itself when families visit. A recent survey found that 10 years after graduation Samford alumni had the highest average income of ANY university in this state(must have overlooked me - LOL). Recent success in putting players in the NFL might also be considered. Top 25? I dunno, but some strong considerations for my school.

ElCid
July 28th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

Yeah, not that it matters, but looking at the criteria you cite, I am not sure I would have picked the same ones. Pay is relative. Not sure you can compare coaching at say, Fordham with say WCU. COL is way different. If you look at it based just on amount, it wouldn't be entirely out of whack, but a bit. Why does in state competition matter? How about student/athlete quality? Coaches who spend time down at the lock up bailing players out or who have a really bad academic standard might have an impact. Or is that rolled up in quality of school? Still, it has way too many subjective inputs to be meaningful. Good topic of discussion though. Especially with less than a month to go!xthumbsupx

CHIP72
July 28th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Non-directional "state" teams have to be at the top of the list - NDSU, North Dakota, Montana, Montana State, SDSU, South Dakota, UNH, Delaware, Maine - just because they lack DI-A/FBS and/or NFL competition in their state (UD less than the others due to the state of Delaware's small size and UD's proximity to PA/Philadelphia and MD/Baltimore; same holds true with UNH and Boston).

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Non-directional "state" teams have to be at the top of the list - NDSU, North Dakota, Montana, Montana State, SDSU, South Dakota, UNH, Delaware, Maine - just because they lack DI-A/FBS and/or NFL competition in their state (UD less than the others due to the state of Delaware's small size and UD's proximity to PA/Philadelphia and MD/Baltimore; same holds true with UNH and Boston).

I agree. Flagship state universities have built-in advantages due to concentration of state funding and academic programs which produce higher income earners. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc., are in better position to donate, buy season tickets, or support the university in general. And there's the state pride thing as well. That said, JMU has a budget that would fit somewhere in the AAC, near the top of the Mountain West, and the very top of CUSA. NDSU has certainly capitalized on their situation, but tough to beat the overall setup JMU has for FCS football.

ElCid
July 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
I agree. Flagship state universities have built-in advantages due to concentration of state funding and academic programs which produce higher income earners. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc., are in better position to donate, buy season tickets, or support the university in general. And there's the state pride thing as well. That said, JMU has a budget that would fit somewhere in the AAC, near the top of the Mountain West, and the very top of CUSA. NDSU has certainly capitalized on their situation, but tough to beat the overall setup JMU has for FCS football.

Well, JMU stole our coach away as well and he is gangbusters. But we have been a coaching factory for a long time. If someone can coach "well" at The Citadel, they can coach anywhere.

KPSUL
July 28th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

Recommend you don't quit your day job quite yet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Recommend you don't quit your day job quite yet.

You're never going to have a poll that pleases everyone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 08:02 PM

A lot of the large state schools in FCS have major budget issues or political issues like what's going on in Illinois.

Herder
July 28th, 2017, 08:22 PM

You...you crazy?

Ndsu has a relatively strong recruiting bond to MN & WI being attached to western MN. Lots of western MN folks fly the green flag. I agree that Fargo is a relative easy location to recruit to after you visit. The only folks that bad mouth Fargo are the people that haven't been there.

cx500d
July 28th, 2017, 09:27 PM
A lot of the large state schools in FCS have major budget issues or political issues like what's going on in Illinois.

Yep, they have to cut things like womens hockey, mens and womens swimming, or baseball.

NorthChuckSouth
July 28th, 2017, 11:12 PM

I think we've been to different Spartanburgs

IBleedYellow
July 28th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Ndsu has a relatively strong recruiting bond to MN & WI being attached to western MN. Lots of western MN folks fly the green flag. I agree that Fargo is a relative easy location to recruit to after you visit. The only folks that bad mouth Fargo are the people that haven't been there.Born and raised in Fargo.

It is not Missoula. Their campus there is beautiful. That's all I'm saying.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KPSUL
July 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
You're never going to have a poll that pleases everyone.

One person's opinion is not a poll my friend.

caribbeanhen
July 29th, 2017, 10:04 AM

agree, Sammy above JMU is Letterman Leno material

uni88
July 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM
One person's opinion is not a poll my friend.
I wouldn't call it a poll. It's an opinion piece and GLTUO is right that not everyone is going to agree with it. It has resulted in 7 pages of discussion so it's good for AGS. It's also easy to criticize but it takes a little more effort and courage to counter with your own rankings and reasoning.

longtimemocfan
July 29th, 2017, 10:32 AM

He was offered $70,000 less to stay in Chattanooga and if you factor in the state income tax they have in Virginia how much did he actually leave for ? True, initially he left somewhat because of money, but he also didn't get along with the now departed AD David Blackburn.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 29th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't call it a poll. It's an opinion piece and GLTUO is right that not everyone is going to agree with it. It has resulted in 7 pages of discussion so it's good for AGS. It's also easy to criticize but it takes a little more effort and courage to counter with your own rankings and reasoning.

No one has offered anything else. I've heard really2 critiques, SHSU over JMU and Furman and UNH not being ranked. So in the grand scheme of things not bad. I'm surprised there wasn't an uproar over the Ivy jobs. I'm glad people get why those are GREAT jobs.

I take the SHSU-JMU thing with a grain of salt because it's clear that SHSU is a punching bag on here. I'm not sure if everyone can look beyond playoff scores. Especially after what happened in Harrisonburg last year. I'll stand by my comments that SHSU is a better gig. Keeler is one of the most successful coaches in all of college football over the last 25 years. Despite multiple overtures he's opted to stay in Hunstville. Winning in Texas is a helluva gig. IMO, both JMU and SHSU are easily 2 of the very best jobs in FCS. One thing the Duke HC has to deal that you don't at SHSU is the vocal group that want the Dukes in FBS. I can't help but think it will happen eventually. But until it does it will be constant and hotly debated topic within the Duke athletic department and alumni/fan base.

I still think UNH is very much a niche job. I think to coach D1 college football in New England takes a special type of person. The culture simply isn't there and neither is the talent. The IL being the exception.

Furman just can't seem to get it all together. They haven't been able to put it together completely over the last decade. There's been flashes but nothing steady. Perhaps the upgrade in facilities will signal a change. Maybe they'll get things rolling again like YSU has. Otherwise they're trending towards EKU land.

Wildcat1997
July 29th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I think Abilene Christian is being a little overlooked here. I don't know if it's a top 25 job necessarily but we have great facilities, an administration that is committed to and supports athletics, great academics, beautiful campus, a Nike contract, fertile recruiting area, great pay and also generous donors that will pay for pretty much anything. I know Abilene isn't the most exciting place to live but you can say that about a lot of other college towns as well. Also I know our last 2 seasons have been losing ones, but I believe that if Dorrel turns us around then we could become a marquee job in the FCS.

Catatonic
July 29th, 2017, 01:42 PM
I have some minor issues but overall I thought it was a well-reasoned, logical list. Among the minor points---I'm not sure McNeese should be on the list at this point. They have history and a great fan base going for them but the ongoing trouble with funding for FCS level schools in Louisiana would keep them off my list. They are in that sense a very credible program that is a victim of the state/culture in which they are embedded.

Sam has had more consistent success than JMU over the past decade or so and is in the thick of the recruiting hotbed that is Texas. Even accounting for the number of FBS schools in each state against whom they compete for prospects, Texas, particularly the part of Texas where Sam is located, wins the recruiting footprint battle.

Sitting Bull
July 29th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Since 1965, W&M has had only four head football coaches:
1965: Marv Levy
1969: Lou Holtz
1972: Jim Root
1980: Jimmye Laycock

Lot of tradition, a new football building and an upgraded stadium.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 29th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Intelligence of the respective supporters on online message boards was also considered. Or so I heard.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 29th, 2017, 02:48 PM
As for the OP's list, I would put W&M about 5-10 spots higher and Villanova a few spots lower. William and Mary facilities have become of some the best in FCS. And Villanova will always be second fiddle to hoops and lacks fan support.

Green26
July 29th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Recruiting to the Univ of Montana isn't difficult at all. Great tradition, stadium and game day atmosphere, and large local support of fans and businesses. Huge success in past 25 years, despite small drop off in some of the recent years. Will have new Performance Center/Weight Room and locker rooms done by September. Some say that will be a game changer.

Great town. Decent airline transportation, but yes expensive. Great outdoor activities and beauty. Milder winters than most northern tier states/cities. 3 hrs to Spokane, 7 or so to Seattle and 8 or so to Portland. Closer to Calgary, but students don't go there. Just over an hour to Flathead lake (bigger than Lake Tahoe). Within several hours of Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. Great skiing, floating, rafting, hunting, biking, hiking. Can float right into town, and walk into the best downtown bars within 2 minutes. Very good restaurants. Great downtown. Active. Lots of pretty women, many of whom like athletes including black athletes.

Negatives, for some, are that it's not big city living, not close to big big cities and isn't racially diverse. Also, has snow and cold in the winter. Some of those things are not negatives for some people, or are neutral.

I like Fargo, but if you think Fargo is better than Missoula, you are crazy. Missoula is many times better.

Ex-players and families of players and ex-players have houses on the lakes, including Flathead (just over an hour away). Former Griz Colt Anderson bought one last year. Guys like Reynolds, Tripp and Mariani were at Colt's over the 4th. Howie Long, Phil Jackson, Todd Heap, Frank Brickowski, ex PGA and NHL guys, movie stars, Florida coach McElwain, have places on Flathead. Larry Krystokoviak and Tim Rosenbach used to have houses there. Coach Fisher seems to be seen around Flathead frequently, and has a house near Yellowstone park.

The Griz get great recruits from MT and many successful MT walk-ons (like Anderson and Mariani). Recruit Washington, Oregon, CA, northern rockies states, AZ mainly. Get some recruits from other states. Compete for tweeters with Mountain West schools, and occasionally get a Pac-12 tweeter. Got Trumaine Johnson, one of the highest paid corners in the NFL. He was from CA, black, warm weather guy, and Pac-12 tweeter. The Big Sky has teams in CA and the Northwest and AZ, so parents who can't get to Missoula much can still see their kids play within driving distance a few times a year. UM has tv coverage for every game, or virtually every game.

Green26
July 29th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I sure wouldn't put Princeton on the list. Great school, nice stadium, but I think it's a hard place to coach.

Thumper 76
July 29th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Wow, Nova, EWU, and Lehigh over SDSU? Two of the places without even half the support or facilities, and a place where you have to try to recruit with the restrictions the PL puts on you compared to other places? Especially with how fan support and facilities have exploded in the past ten years at SDSU? I get living somewhere nicer than Brookings matters, to a point. But especially with EWU and Nova, come on man.

Still don't know why Nova and EWU are over SDSU when you factor in administration and fan support, facilities, etc.

PaladinNation
July 29th, 2017, 04:28 PM
No one has offered anything else. I've heard really2 critiques, SHSU over JMU and Furman and UNH not being ranked. So in the grand scheme of things not bad. I'm surprised there wasn't an uproar over the Ivy jobs. I'm glad people get why those are GREAT jobs.

I take the SHSU-JMU thing with a grain of salt because it's clear that SHSU is a punching bag on here. I'm not sure if everyone can look beyond playoff scores. Especially after what happened in Harrisonburg last year. I'll stand by my comments that SHSU is a better gig. Keeler is one of the most successful coaches in all of college football over the last 25 years. Despite multiple overtures he's opted to stay in Hunstville. Winning in Texas is a helluva gig. IMO, both JMU and SHSU are easily 2 of the very best jobs in FCS. One thing the Duke HC has to deal that you don't at SHSU is the vocal group that want the Dukes in FBS. I can't help but think it will happen eventually. But until it does it will be constant and hotly debated topic within the Duke athletic department and alumni/fan base.

I still think UNH is very much a niche job. I think to coach D1 college football in New England takes a special type of person. The culture simply isn't there and neither is the talent. The IL being the exception.

Furman just can't seem to get it all together. They haven't been able to put it together completely over the last decade. There's been flashes but nothing steady. Perhaps the upgrade in facilities will signal a change. Maybe they'll get things rolling again like YSU has. Otherwise they're trending towards EKU land.

For me this comes down to Program vs Job? If your ranking programs I tend to go with "what have you done for me lately.?" I would not put my school on the list until things improve on the field. A great coaching opportunity is IMO a totally different thing.

So, I've been thinking am I just being a homer for Furman??? I could be. I guess what I think backs up including Furman, they just hired a new coach and you better believe if Ayers had retired last season Wofford would have been offering Hendrix too. Anyways, not my point. The biggest hire outside of Clay Hendrix and maybe even bigger was George Quarles. Quarles was the fastest high school coach to win 200 games at Maryville HS (TN) his record, 250-16 in 18 seasons, 11 as state champions. He had offers from FCS schools and FBS schools. The best coaching job also has to be a great coaching job for assistants too. Time will tell but Hendrix, Quarles, Cronic (head coach at Reinhardt) and Staggs (DC at CSU) left successful programs to come to Furman.

Nickels
July 29th, 2017, 05:40 PM

On thing that outsiders dont understand about SHSU is the President's enthusiasm for the football program. Our president and Keeler live in the same neighborhood and from I understand their families spend time together. The issues Keeler had at UD with the admin will never happen here. Keeler has a lot of control and support at SHSU. That is something many good coaches at top programs do not have.

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2017, 07:34 PM
For me this comes down to Program vs Job? If your ranking programs I tend to go with "what have you done for me lately.?" I would not put my school on the list until things improve on the field. A great coaching opportunity is IMO a totally different thing.

So, I've been thinking am I just being a homer for Furman??? I could be. I guess what I think backs up including Furman, they just hired a new coach and you better believe if Ayers had retired last season Wofford would have been offering Hendrix too. Anyways, not my point. The biggest hire outside of Clay Hendrix and maybe even bigger was George Quarles. Quarles was the fastest high school coach to win 200 games at Maryville HS (TN) his record, 250-16 in 18 seasons, 11 as state champions. He had offers from FCS schools and FBS schools. The best coaching job also has to be a great coaching job for assistants too. Time will tell but Hendrix, Quarles, Cronic (head coach at Reinhardt) and Staggs (DC at CSU) left successful programs to come to Furman.

Furman just hired a head coach from a military academy, which many believe is a rarity as those are prime jobs.

Furman just hired one of the top high school coaches in the country.

Furman just hired a head coach at one of the better NAIA programs in the country.

Furman just hired one of the top defensive coordinators in the country at the FCS level.

I'd say they are an attractive destination beyond the team's record the last few years. The staff in Greenville is very impressive.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I sure wouldn't put Princeton on the list. Great school, nice stadium, but I think it's a hard place to coach.

Not sure why it would be hard to coach there. H-Y-P still outpaces the rest of the Ivy in terms of resources and Princeton should be (but often isn't) a consistent contender.

KPSUL
July 29th, 2017, 08:10 PM

I don't feel the need to "counter" a contrived list to any greater extent than I already have. As I pointed out in an early post, UNH has had 2 head coaches in 43 years. The previous is in the College Hall of Fame solely for his UNH career and the current has 2 Eddie Robinson Awards and 13 straight 1AA/FCS playoff appearances. If long rewarding careers, considerable success on the field and the highest level of professional recognition doesn't correlate with a Top 25 Coaching job than there is something serious flawed with the list.

Green26
July 29th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Not sure why it would be hard to coach there. H-Y-P still outpaces the rest of the Ivy in terms of resources and Princeton should be (but often isn't) a consistent contender.

Head coach
Bob Surace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Surace)
7th season, 33–37 (.471)

Stadium
Princeton University Stadium
(Capacity: 27,773)

Field surface
FieldTurf

Princeton, New Jersey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton,_New_Jersey)

Conference
Ivy League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League)

All-time record
791–369–51 (.674)

Claimed nat'l titles

Conference titles

Scrappy94
July 29th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Chattanooga must be an attractive job not only for head coaches, but for assistant coaches with talent, seeing as we have had a few assistant coaches poached for NFL coaching jobs in the last few months after having been with the program for only a few months. That and/or Coach Arth has a keen eye for coaching talent when it comes to hiring.

Catatonic
July 30th, 2017, 03:27 AM
Yeah, not that it matters, but looking at the criteria you cite, I am not sure I would have picked the same ones. Pay is relative. Not sure you can compare coaching at say, Fordham with say WCU. COL is way different. If you look at it based just on amount, it wouldn't be entirely out of whack, but a bit. Why does in state competition matter? How about student/athlete quality? Coaches who spend time down at the lock up bailing players out or who have a really bad academic standard might have an impact. Or is that rolled up in quality of school? Still, it has way too many subjective inputs to be meaningful. Good topic of discussion though. Especially with less than a month to go!xthumbsupx

Here is the criterion used by 247 Sports to determine the best coaching P5 coaching jobs: " the destinations that myriad candidates would covet if they suddenly came open?" That simple statement seems to subsume most of the criteria Lehigh listed. Most coaches want to be well compensated and go somewhere they can successfully recruit and win. Recruiting footprint, facilities, history of success on the field and placing players in the NFL, a beautiful campus and a community that student athletes find attractive are all pluses. Strong academics works both ways--it limits the pool of students who are likely to succeed. At the same time, it's a plus for good students who don't see a future for themselves in the NFL.

PaladinNation
July 30th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Somewhat off topic but related in a way to this discussion… Furman has decided to hold open public auditions for the PA position for home football games. 53 people auditioned, article link below, a great read, and my money is on Bootie Cothran a Ninja Warrior television veteran and the leader of the Move Those Chains cheer.

This IMO is a testament to Furman's renewed focus to reach into the upstate community.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/2017/07/29/touchdown-paladins-furman-announcer-tryouts-big-hit/517927001/

GodHelpTheBears
July 30th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I'd think many coaches would covet our job. You aren't expected to win and you're given generous contract extensions for no concrete reason. You can stay until retirement with a 35% win rate, and we pay close to $300k a year. The buyout is inconsequential because no one is willing to pay it (and even if they were, you're guaranteed every dime).

To the extent that local media cares, they will never criticize you. You won't have booster pressure - there are no boosters of note, and the donors don't have any political weight within the athletic department. Basketball (and to a certain extent baseball) get all the local attention, so you can live in relative anonymity.

uni88
July 30th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I don't feel the need to "counter" a contrived list to any greater extent than I already have. As I pointed out in an early post, UNH has had 2 head coaches in 43 years. The previous is in the College Hall of Fame solely for his UNH career and the current has 2 Eddie Robinson Awards and 13 straight 1AA/FCS playoff appearances. If long rewarding careers, considerable success on the field and the highest level of professional recognition doesn't correlate with a Top 25 Coaching job than there is something serious flawed with the list.
You make very valid arguments for why UNH should be on the list but what jobs are and aren't on the list is a matter of opinion. GLTUO made valid arguments for the programs that he included on the list. You can nitpick all you want about this program or that program but in the end they're just opinions and neither you or GLTUO is right or wrong.

The Pud
July 31st, 2017, 08:38 AM

+6

Also, look at how far Tom Herman has gone since he days at Sammy.

PaladinNation
July 31st, 2017, 02:10 PM
Furman just made a rumour a reality concerning a huge financial gift for Football. An anonymous donor has given Furman University a $1 million gift to support the Paladins' football program and honour the legacy of former head football coach Bobby Johnson.

Basically, this is an endowment fund for the Furman Football coaches, curious how this would fit into ranking FCS school coaching jobs:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10473550/endowments-exchange-namesakes-new-trend-coaching

cx500d
July 31st, 2017, 05:00 PM
I take the SHSU-JMU thing with a grain of salt because it's clear that SHSU is a punching bag on here. Winning in Texas is a helluva gig. IMO, both JMU and SHSU are easily 2 of the very best jobs in FCS. One thing the Duke HC has to deal that you don't at SHSU is the vocal group that want the Dukes in FBS. I can't help but think it will happen eventually. But until it does it will be constant and hotly debated topic within the Duke athletic department and alumni/fan base.

How could they not? Look at the teams they play...

carney2
August 1st, 2017, 09:58 AM
Eight months ago I would have had Lafayette in this listing. I would have said it's a do nothing job where you cannot be fired. Not anymore.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 1st, 2017, 02:24 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success-
- Administrative support-
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

If this is the case I dont see how Montana isnt in the top 3. The only difficult part is like you stated having families fly in. Probably a huge reason a majority of our roster is from Washington and the rest of the Pacific Northwest

Catbooster
August 1st, 2017, 04:47 PM
If this is the case I dont see how Montana isnt in the top 3. The only difficult part is like you stated having families fly in. Probably a huge reason a majority of our roster is from Washington and the rest of the Pacific Northwest
Probably because they can't beat the in-state competition xcoffeex ;)

Go...gate
August 1st, 2017, 05:59 PM
I took plenty of time

- Historical success
- Administrative support
- pressure to win
- in state competition
- league
- quality of school
- pay
- recruiting footprint
- facilities
- promotion potential

And you left out Colgate?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM
I think there's a strong case to put Montana in the top 3.

Obviously that part of the country is loaded with DI prospects, but they are undoubtedly top-tier when it comes to putting players in the NFL.

It's a similar situation with Boise State. BSU is hardly surrounded by great high school football talent but every coach that goes up there gets top-shelf G5 talent so there's got to be something in the program that makes putting together a good roster not overly difficult.

Also, I question Delaware's administrative commitment. I don't think there's an FCS program that's been more poorly managed over the last 10-15 years.

BTW, I also agree with PaladinFan that the Furman administration at least seems to have redoubled their commitment to the program, so we'll see how that goes.

(Not trying to criticize, just offering my opinion on what's a good discussion.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2017, 08:34 PM
And you left out Colgate?

I think it's the 3rd best job, maybe 4th if LC gets it together, in the PL. Like UNH, Colgate wins despite several obstacles imo. For one, Colgate's fan support is poor. One of the major contributing factors for that is its isolated location. I know Syracuse isn't far but in many ways its a world away. Then there's the CNY weather/winter. Biddle did an amazing job turning around a then in the dumpster program. He created a culture of toughness and defense that was perfect for November football in Hamilton. I know Hunt did great things in 2015 but that was one year. They haven't been able to put together two high level seasons back-2-back in nearly a decade. Playing 4 home games and a daunting OOC schedule might not make it any easier. Colgate's a tough gig imo but one where success a very high level can be achieved.

I'd be interested to see how the PL people would rank the jobs within the conference. Right now I'd go...
1. Lehigh
2. Fordham
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Holy Cross
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

I think Lafayette can easily jump up the list. Their issue is the administration.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2017, 08:44 PM
I think there's a strong case to put Montana in the top 3.

Obviously that part of the country is loaded with DI prospects, but they are undoubtedly top-tier when it comes to putting players in the NFL.

It's a similar situation with Boise State. BSU is hardly surrounded by great high school football talent but every coach that goes up there gets top-shelf G5 talent so there's got to be something in the program that makes putting together a good roster not overly difficult.

Also, I question Delaware's administrative commitment. I don't think there's an FCS program that's been more poorly managed over the last 10-15 years.
BTW, I also agree with PaladinFan that the Furman administration at least seems to have redoubled their commitment to the program, so we'll see how that goes.

(Not trying to criticize, just offering my opinion on what's a good discussion.)

Within the last 10-15 years they've won a national title and played for another. UD is a great, great job. Rocco is going to get that thing rolling downhill in short order.

Montana is tough. It's a great place for some but a lot of people simply think of Montana as some far off land that's for cowboys, mountains and freezing temps. I know Coach Ash's family did not like Bozeman. Granted, he thought Iowa was heaven so it's rather relative. You're likely going to be far removed from friends and relatives that are in another part of the country. You're family is going to have adapt to a likely vastly different environment. If they like the city or being near the city it will be a tough sell. If you like private prep schools good luck. I think the Montana jobs mostly appeal to candidates with close ties to the Northern Rockies or Pacific NW or the schools themselves. The reason Ash got the gig was his squeaky clean image after the Kramer mess. Otherwise, they wouldn't have went so far outside of the box. Montana has also dealt with a fairly large scandal recently that resulted in the ouster of their head coach.

cx500d
August 1st, 2017, 08:46 PM
Thats exactly what its for..

Montana is tough man. It's a great place for some but a lot of people simply think of Montana as some far off land that's for cowboys, mountains and freezing temps.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 11:22 AM
Probably because they can't beat the in-state competition xcoffeex ;)

Thats rich

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
Thats exactly what its for..

And Fargos for all the same things except the mountains and cowboys.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 2nd, 2017, 11:36 AM
And Fargos for all the same things except the mountains and cowboys.

...and wood chippers and funny accents....:D

I've spent time in Missoula and Fargo and I think "most" people would adapt to Fargo a little easier. I absolutely loved Montana but it is a very different and unique place. I think the Red River Valley is more relatable to the average person.

Catbooster
August 2nd, 2017, 12:18 PM
Thats rich
Maybe. We're sure not back where we need to be. Only won our last 2 conference games last year. But one of them was against the Griz in Missoula , so hard to say the Griz are doing great right now.

It'll be interesting to see how the two teams do this year.

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2017, 01:09 PM
...and wood chippers and funny accents....:D

I've spent time in Missoula and Fargo and I think "most" people would adapt to Fargo a little easier. I absolutely loved Montana but it is a very different and unique place. I think the Red River Valley is more relatable to the average person.

What makes Montana "different and unique?" Serious question.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 01:31 PM

They call Montana the last best place for a reason....

Its about the most untouched area of the lower 48 states by civilization. You get a feeling when in Montana that you just dont get anywhere else.....it makes you feel small. The surrounding environment humbles you with its size and beauty. Ive really never found a place that makes you feel the same.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 01:37 PM
“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”
― John Steinbeck (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/585.John_Steinbeck),

and one of my favorites because of how accurate it is..I now live in Texas

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans”
― John Steinbeck (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/585.John_Steinbeck)

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM
“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”
― John Steinbeck (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/585.John_Steinbeck),

and one of my favorites because of how accurate it is..I now live in Texas

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans”
― John Steinbeck (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/585.John_Steinbeck)

Thanks for the info and the quotes. Seems like a place that I would like, also. May have to visit.

Grizalltheway
August 2nd, 2017, 02:39 PM
And when the Yellowstone super volcano erupts Missoula and Bozeman are toast.
Everyone's toast, we'll just suffer less than the rest of the world.

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2017, 02:45 PM

When that bad boy erupts, all of North America will be burnt toast.

Grizalltheway
August 2nd, 2017, 02:50 PM

https://s4.postimg.org/llzoam3rh/landandpeople-450x240.jpg

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2017, 02:57 PM
I think it's the 3rd best job, maybe 4th if LC gets it together, in the PL. Like UNH, Colgate wins despite several obstacles imo. For one, Colgate's fan support is poor. One of the major contributing factors for that is its isolated location. I know Syracuse isn't far but in many ways its a world away. Then there's the CNY weather/winter. Biddle did an amazing job turning around a then in the dumpster program. He created a culture of toughness and defense that was perfect for November football in Hamilton. I know Hunt did great things in 2015 but that was one year. They haven't been able to put together two high level seasons back-2-back in nearly a decade. Playing 4 home games and a daunting OOC schedule might not make it any easier. Colgate's a tough gig imo but one where success a very high level can be achieved.

I'd be interested to see how the PL people would rank the jobs within the conference. Right now I'd go...
1. Lehigh
2. Fordham
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Holy Cross
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

I think Lafayette can easily jump up the list. Their issue is the administration.

I agree with your analysis. I also agree the Lafayette has a chance to become one of the best jobs.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info and the quotes. Seems like a place that I would like, also. May have to visit.

No problem...I've also been to Huntsville....that giant statue of Sam Houston and the big prison there....thats all cool. lol

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2017, 03:58 PM

When that bad boy erupts, all of North America will be burnt toast.
Meh... won't be that bad. ~1-2" of ash in Fargo according to estimates. Bozeman would be screwed... Missoula not as bad but still 10"+ probably.

https://curiousmatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/yellowstone.jpg

Serpentor
August 2nd, 2017, 04:04 PM
Meh... won't be that bad. ~1-2" of ash in Fargo according to estimates. Bozeman would be screwed... Missoula not as bad but still 10"+ probably.

Serpentor believes he has found Professor Chaos' new plans for world conquest! Mildly annoy people with a light ash covering!

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM

The ash would not only cover the ground killing vegetation and animals in the process, more importantly it would linger in the upper atmosphere, blocking out the sun for an extended period of time causing dramatic cooling..... I think.

Grizalltheway
August 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
The ash would not only cover the ground killing vegetation and animals in the process, more importantly it would linger in the upper atmosphere, blocking out the sun for an extended period of time causing dramatic cooling..... I think.
Bingo. It's happened in relatively recent history with much smaller eruptions than a full on blast from the Yellowstone caldera would entail.

TribeNomad1
August 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM
Bingo. It's happened in relatively recent history with much smaller eruptions than a full on blast from the Yellowstone caldera would entail.

But wait.......

That would mean that PERHAPS natural forces influence the climate??? Blasphemy......

Grizalltheway
August 2nd, 2017, 05:04 PM
But wait.......

That would mean that PERHAPS natural forces influence the climate??? Blasphemy......
Of course. But that doesn't mean man can't do it as well.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2017, 06:05 PM
But wait.......

I'd be real careful here and check which board you are on before going any further.

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2017, 09:03 PM
Serpentor believes he has found Professor Chaos' new plans for world conquest! Mildly annoy people with a light ash covering!
No one will see it coming!

...at least no one who doesn't read AGS.

Pffft... I saw Pierce Brosnan outrun a volcanic cloud and drive through molten lava in a Jeep a few years back in some Hollywood documentary. I'm not scared.

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2017, 12:04 AM

The vegetation and animals it'd probably depend on when in the year it happens. If it goes in early January...I guess maybe a few pine trees? Although you're right about the atmosphere...probably screwed there.