PDA

View Full Version : I Like What UND Is Doing

SU DOG
July 25th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I think other schools, including my own, and our SoCon rivals, should be doing things like this. The younger generation wants to be entertained as opposed to just being spectators. Maybe not all, but certainly too many student fan bases can be seen leaving after the half. I don't have the answers, but it will be interesting to see how the UND group improves their situation. I applaud them for putting forth such an effort.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4302302-und-committee-wants-football-experience-be-best-fcs

BadlandsGrizFan
July 25th, 2017, 10:07 AM
This is the definition of a pipedream....

Mark my words....the Allerus center will never be the best atmosphere in the FCS....or North Dakota for that matter.

Thumper 76
July 25th, 2017, 10:36 AM
I am shocked, totally shocked, that they formed a committee for this xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator
July 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I think other schools, including my own, and our SoCon rivals, should be doing things like this. The younger generation wants to be entertained as opposed to just being spectators. Maybe not all, but certainly too many student fan bases can be seen leaving after the half. I don't have the answers, but it will be interesting to see how the UND group improves their situation. I applaud them for putting forth such an effort.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4302302-und-committee-wants-football-experience-be-best-fcs

Nothing more then trying to emulate their big brother to the south. It's rather cute actually.

Mark my words....the Allerus center will never be the best atmosphere in the FCS....or North Dakota for that matter.

Truth.

What's shocking is it's only one committee........so far anyway. xlolx

BisonBacker
July 25th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Nothing more then trying to emulate their big brother to the south. It's rather cute actually.

Truth.

What's shocking is that they haven't gone to the SBOHE and
1. Requested more money for this endeavor
2. Requested that the SBOHE get those extra funds from the NDSU budgeted monies coming from the state.
3. Request the SBOHE force NDSU to stop tailgaiting.
This list could go on and on xlolx

BisonBacker
July 25th, 2017, 11:20 AM

You got that right!

dewey
July 25th, 2017, 11:21 AM

^^^TRUTH!!! Funny how the first thing they talk about in a football article is the hockey...LOL!

How long before they copy the tunnel walk and countdown like big brother?

Dewey

Bisonator
July 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM
What's shocking is that they haven't gone to the SBOHE and
1. Requested more money for this endeavor
2. Requested that the SBOHE get those extra funds from the NDSU budgeted monies coming from the state.
3. Request the SBOHE force NDSU to stop tailgaiting.
This list could go on and on xlolx

Oh I'm assuming they already did those.;)

SU DOG
July 25th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I can just feel the love here. xlolx

abc123
July 25th, 2017, 11:40 AM
How long before they copy the tunnel walk and countdown like big brother?

Because that's so original to NDSU. What's next, are you going to claim NDSU originated the "Thundering Herd" nickname and the Horns Up hand gesture? xlolx

I'll give the new president some credit, he's actually taking actions to follow-up on some of his promises to put more support behind athletics. Obviously coming up with ideas isn't going to just magically make everything 10x better and the team winning is a huge part of the equation, but they are taking input and actually working on making adjustments and improvements instead of doing nothing.

Catbooster
July 25th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I'll bet NDSU has already thought of having tailgates, cheerleaders, PA announcers and all that stuff too. UND should just sit there and watch the damn games. Anything more is a blatant attempt to emulate, steal from or diminish NDSU! ;)

Professor Chaos
July 25th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Because that's so original to NDSU. What's next, are you going to claim NDSU originated the "Thundering Herd" nickname and the Horns Up hand gesture? xlolx

I'll give the new president some credit, he's actually taking actions to follow-up on some of his promises to put more support behind athletics. Obviously coming up with ideas isn't going to just magically make everything 10x better and the team winning is a huge part of the equation, but they are taking input and actually working on making adjustments and improvements instead of doing nothing.
The effort is admirable... it's the "We view this as a three-year effort to make the game day experience at UND the best in the FCS" remark that makes the peanut gallery on a national message board snicker.

Maybe tone down the rhetoric a little bit and say "We view this as a three-year effort to make the game day experience at UND one of the best in the FCS" and he'd be met with less skepticism.

Bisonator
July 25th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Just win baby. Seriously WTF do you clowns always need a ****ing committee for everything???

Hammersmith
July 25th, 2017, 12:16 PM

According to a UND fan on BV, it's actually four committees. One big committee made up of three smaller committees.

That feels more typical of the guys from up north. :)

BadlandsGrizFan
July 25th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I'll bet NDSU has already thought of having tailgates, cheerleaders, PA announcers and all that stuff too. UND should just sit there and watch the damn games. Anything more is a blatant attempt to emulate, steal from or diminish NDSU! ;)

Spoken like someone who truly understands what it feels like to be little brother!

geaux_sioux
July 25th, 2017, 01:54 PM
The effort is admirable... it's the "We view this as a three-year effort to make the game day experience at UND the best in the FCS" remark that makes the peanut gallery on a national message board snicker.

Maybe tone down the rhetoric a little bit and say "We view this as a three-year effort to make the game day experience at UND one of the best in the FCS" and he'd be met with less skepticism.

Leaders don't aim for average. Just look at whiskey Joe for example. Most thought he was crazy and yet here you sit thanks to him.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 25th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Maybe they forgot they werent talking about hockey?

Bisonoline
July 25th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Just win baby. Seriously WTF do you clowns always need a ****ing committee for everything???

No one person can then be held accountable.

Professor Chaos
July 25th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Leaders don't aim for average. Just look at whiskey Joe for example. Most thought he was crazy and yet here you sit thanks to him.
It took a lot more than one President in the early 2000s with foresight to get NDSU football to where it is today. It also wasn't hyperbole spouted to the media that brought his plan to fruition either. Chapman took plenty of flak for the things he said and Kennedy should be taking plenty of flak for some of his recent quotables as well. Chapman had the last laugh... we'll see whether Kennedy is laughing after his "3 year plan" is done.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Kennedy has been throwing a lot of darts @ the board lately. Eventually he might hit it.

I can only imagine what would happen if President Brescani came out and said "NDSU will have a better year in sports than The Fighting Hawks." He'd be crucified. Yet...here's Kennedy, not even getting one inkling of rage headed his way.

abc123
July 25th, 2017, 03:25 PM
My guess: After the nickname debacle, too many people got their feelings hurt because they claimed they didn't get input, never mind that most of them had little reason to deserve any and the rest were just mad they didn't get their way. So now they try to be "inclusive", which normally bugs me, but in this instance I'm fine with a fairly wide ranging group coming up with ideas. However it will require whoever is heading this up to keep it focused and actually move forward with some ideas instead of getting bogged down as plenty of committees are good at doing.

clenz
July 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Anyone else see the irony in the 3 year plan?

Does anyone know what happens at the end of year 3?

Anyone?

I'll wait.

TheKingpin28
July 25th, 2017, 03:55 PM

Anyone?

I'll wait.

Nothing. As it will still not be long enough for GFCC to get their act together and stop dicking around.

geaux_sioux
July 25th, 2017, 04:37 PM

Anyone?

I'll wait.
NDSU to the big12? PUMP IT UP?

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Winnnna!

I know for certain that Lakes isn't President Kennedy...but maybe he's pulling some strings.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Big 12 wrestling.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2017, 04:52 PM

Or be like MSU and back out on return games on a home/home.

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Or be like MSU and back out on return games on a home/home.

xdohx

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Very soon their intro will look like NDSU's.....their "tailgate" is pathetic .

"Best in the FCS".....lol......never happen.

Bison56
July 25th, 2017, 05:12 PM
UNWho?

cx500d
July 25th, 2017, 05:40 PM
UNWho?

Delaware?

KPSUL
July 25th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Re-arranging the deck chairs, pole vaulting mouse turds, inventorying the paper clips and other vital undertakings!

BisonTru
July 25th, 2017, 09:24 PM

Anyone?

I'll wait.

A new committee. xhypedx

July 25th, 2017, 09:59 PM
The attempt to make their fans home town experience great is no different that any other school. I do not see it as competition against anyone. Just trying to get more butts in the seats at a football game in a hockey town.

geaux_sioux
July 25th, 2017, 11:59 PM
The attempt to make their fans home town experience great is no different that any other school. I do not see it as competition against anyone. Just trying to get more butts in the seats at a football game in a hockey town.
Yea but we're dumb though

mgbison
July 26th, 2017, 06:32 AM
UND's problem is their tailgating scene is super lame. I'd imagine winning should help that to some extent, but they have an uphill battle.

abc123
July 26th, 2017, 09:34 AM
UND's problem is their tailgating scene is super lame. I'd imagine winning should help that to some extent, but they have an uphill battle.
Curious what games you've been to recently and what comparison you're using?

Bison56
July 26th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Yea but we're dumb though

Smartest thing I have ever seen you post.:D

mgbison
July 26th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Going off internet pictures of UND tailgating and word of mouth from people who drive by/go to the Alerus center most Saturdays. Comparing that to having a tailgating RV at NDSU games and having been to MT, UNI, SDSU (probably the most improved over the last 10 years), MN, ISU (best tailgate scene, imo), Iowa, KSU, and CSU. It's enough for me to say UND tailgating is lame.

I'd challenge you to go to any of the listed schools and compare it your UND tailgate.

Like I said, big year for UND football, especially USD game. If UND loses the USD game and falls to 1-2, it's not gonna help the gameday's committee cause. The same can be said for USD.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Going off internet pictures of UND tailgating and word of mouth from people who drive by/go to the Alerus center most Saturdays. Comparing that to having a tailgating RV at NDSU games and having been to MT, UNI, SDSU (probably the most improved over the last 10 years), MN, ISU (best tailgate scene, imo), Iowa, KSU, and CSU. It's enough for me to say UND tailgating is lame.

I'd challenge you to go to any of the listed schools and compare it your UND tailgate.

Like I said, big year for UND football, especially USD game. If UND loses the USD game and falls to 1-2, it's not gonna help the gameday's committee cause. The same can be said for USD.
Tailgating. You mean the thing you guys "copied" from us?

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Last year they had a pretty favorable schedule. This year it's a gauntlet.

Let's see how they do.

mgbison
July 26th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I'd say NDSU tailgating took off after beating Montana in the D2 days. NDSU fans witnessed how they do it at Montana, and started to replicate it. However, the first game after the Montana win, the NDSU tailgating lots were full and everyone was having a good time but everyone left a huge mess, and the university banned tailgating for the season. The following year they made tailgating rules and it was back on and has evolved since.

clenz
July 26th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Since no one answered my question correctly.

At the end of year 3 is the when UND joins the MVFC. It's briefly touched on in that article but mostly glossed over.

It's clear this is completely set up around the MVFC and trying to build this idea in their fans heads that "We will be the best team, best fans, best tailgate, best atmopshere, etc... and the MVFC has no idea what real football is like and what is coming for them".

Thundar
July 26th, 2017, 11:51 AM

you mean support as in shutting down teams, cutting funding and making coaches and players plead for their jobs/sport in front of a committee?

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2017, 12:17 PM

At the end of year 3 is the when UND joins the MVFC. It's briefly touched on in that article but mostly glossed over.

It's clear this is completely set up around the MVFC and trying to build this idea in their fans heads that "We will be the best team, best fans, best tailgate, best atmopshere, etc... and the MVFC has no idea what real football is like and what is coming for them".

I remember how this mindset worked for NDSU when we came into The Gateway and our first year we were chosen as the preseason favorite. xcoffeex

abc123
July 26th, 2017, 01:50 PM

So what you're saying is that you've never actually been? I'm sure those people flying down I-29 have great insight on what's going on in the tailgating lots. xeyebrowx

The only one I've been at on your list recently is NDSU, which I have no arguments is better than what UND has right now, but it wasn't all that long ago that it was was pretty comparable to UND's (~10 years). Obviously the transition and struggles during and after killed fan interest and significantly hurt tailgating, just as they would as the majority of the schools on your list (I'm excluding ISU, the lack of correlation between their winning percentage and fan support is an anomaly that isn't seen much in college sports).

And though you consider it "lame" with absolutely zero firsthand experience in it, that is exactly what they are addressing, changing the perception of uninformed people that it is a great time. I've watched it ebb and flow over the last decade plus with it becoming much improved the last few years and am happy to see them making an effort to grow it further.

you mean support as in shutting down teams, cutting funding and making coaches and players plead for their jobs/sport in front of a committee?
Well, you're talking about things that should have been done a decade ago but weren't because the state of ND was flush with cash and didn't require any of the schools in the NDUS to make any hard decisions. His other option was to see how thin he could spread resources, so while I'm disappointed to see some of the sports go, sometimes there needs to be a realist in the room to make decisions people have been avoiding for years.

I will agree with you on your committee comment. That was the fault of the Intercollegiate Athletics , the majority of whom are semi-clueless faculty. They complained they didn't have any input when baseball and men's golf were cut, so they got a say the second time around and came up with the ground breaking solution of "raise more money".

BisonTru
July 26th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Are you saying I'm wrong that they won't have a new committee in three years? I think you are wildly underestimating their ability to form task forces to form committees.

Usually to develop a process to form another committee.

Bison56
July 26th, 2017, 02:06 PM
So what you're saying is that you've never actually been? I'm sure those people flying down I-29 have great insight on what's going on in the tailgating lots. xeyebrowx

The only one I've been at on your list recently is NDSU, which I have no arguments is better than what UND has right now, but it wasn't all that long ago that it was was pretty comparable to UND's (~10 years). Obviously the transition and struggles during and after killed fan interest and significantly hurt tailgating, just as they would as the majority of the schools on your list (I'm excluding ISU, the lack of correlation between their winning percentage and fan support is an anomaly that isn't seen much in college sports).

And though you consider it "lame" with absolutely zero firsthand experience in it, that is exactly what they are addressing, changing the perception of uninformed people that it is a great time. I've watched it ebb and flow over the last decade plus with it becoming much improved the last few years and am happy to see them making an effort to grow it further.

Well, you're talking about things that should have been done a decade ago but weren't because the state of ND was flush with cash and didn't require any of the schools in the NDUS to make any hard decisions. His other option was to see how thin he could spread resources, so while I'm disappointed to see some of the sports go, sometimes there needs to be a realist in the room to make decisions people have been avoiding for years.

I will agree with you on your committee comment. That was the fault of the Intercollegiate Athletics , the majority of whom are semi-clueless faculty. They complained they didn't have any input when baseball and men's golf were cut, so they got a say the second time around and came up with the ground breaking solution of "raise more money".

https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/cry.gif?w=480&h=326 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjK1YOa0qfVAhWQ8oMKHcZlBasQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthoughtcatalog.com%2Fari-eastman%2F2015%2F03%2F17-steps-to-a-successful-night-of-crying-and-feeling%2F&psig=AFQjCNFCoeWM7-Sc0i1US4_hPqhm7WAEAg&ust=1501182294462033)

BisonTru
July 26th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Serious question for the Hawkey fans, in the past iirc one big problem with tailgating at UND was folks had assigned spots but some tailgated and some just used their spot to park. Essentially spreading the tailgating out. Have they addressed or not?

If not, this seems like an obvious situation to fix. Of course I am but one man and not a conglomerate of committees.

UNDColorado
July 26th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Serious question for the Hawkey fans, in the past iirc one big problem with tailgating at UND was folks had assigned spots but some tailgated and some just used their spot to park. Essentially spreading the tailgating out. Have they addressed or not?

If not, this seems like an obvious situation to fix. Of course I am but one man and not a conglomerate of committees.

It has not been addressed yet and it and it absolutely should be.

UNDColorado
July 26th, 2017, 02:41 PM

The committee was a joke but I am happy a sport that lost over $2,000,000 per year was axed. If the shoe was on the other foot I am sure you would agree with this sentiment.

Bisonoline
July 26th, 2017, 02:54 PM

That was classless on UNDs part. I cant believe the way they conduct business up there.

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2017, 04:23 PM

I peed a little after reading this.

Da Bison
July 26th, 2017, 06:48 PM
you mean support as in shutting down teams, cutting funding and making coaches and players plead for their jobs/sport in front of a committee?But......but.....but......president Kennedy got a full time bartender/party planner out of the deal.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Thundar
July 26th, 2017, 06:57 PM
The committee was a joke but I am happy a sport that lost over $2,000,000 per year was axed. If the shoe was on the other foot I am sure you would agree with this sentiment.

Not saying I wouldn't support it, would have dumped Womens Hockey long ago, but the way they made the other sports plead was just downright crappy.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2017, 11:27 PM

There's a committee for that.

ST_Lawson
July 27th, 2017, 01:34 PM
There's a committee for that.

There's a committee for everything. We need to form a committee to look into this matter, along with corresponding subcommittees.

AGS Committee for Examination of Over-Proliferation of Committees in Higher Ed: FCS Subcommittee

BisonTru
July 27th, 2017, 02:10 PM
There's a committee for everything. We need to form a committee to look into this matter, along with corresponding subcommittees.

AGS Committee for Examination of Over-Proliferation of Committees in Higher Ed: FCS Subcommittee

Wooo pull the reigns back Lawson. We need a task force first.

Thumper 76
July 27th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Yeah, JFC you can't just form committees all willy nilly like that. You need to set a timeline, spend a butt load of money, and three years later you from a committee on who to pick for the committee.

clenz
July 27th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah, JFC you can't just form committees all willy nilly like that. You need to set a timeline, spend a butt load of money, and three years later you from a committee on who to pick for the committee.

Yeah, but who forms the committee that forms the committee.

Committee selection is vital. You can't have a committee selection committee without proper vetting of the committee by a selection committee committee

I feel like I just had a stroke trying to type that.

BisonTru
July 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Committee selection is vital. You can't have a committee selection committee without proper vetting of the committee by a selection committee committee

The task force which is decided by another task force.

clenz
July 27th, 2017, 03:08 PM
The task force which is decided by another task force.
Who decided a task force was the proper vetting process?

Thumper 76
July 27th, 2017, 03:14 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/134774e017c0aaadcbb8ac51b85e4119.png

BisonTru
July 27th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Who decided a task force was the proper vetting process?

I don't make the rules. I just spend way too much attention to how things are done in south Canada.

POD Knows
July 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Who decided a task force was the proper vetting process?Christ, that question is like the big bang theory or how the universe was started, maybe if we solve the "genesis" of the UND committee process, maybe it will hold clues to the creation of the universe.

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2017, 04:48 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4735494/vanilla-ice-itty-bitty-ting-o.gif

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 04:56 PM

What about appointing a czar?

NorthChuckSouth
July 27th, 2017, 05:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/gTOJH0E.jpg

GodHelpTheBears
July 27th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I have no idea if this characterization of UND as a Dilbertesque institution of higher education is true...but I find it funny.

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I have no idea if this characterization of UND as a Dilbertesque institution of higher education is true...but I find it funny.

Oh its true...Proof is in how long and what process they had to come up wth their stupid name. Now the $3M to spend on figuring out who they are again?

ST_Lawson
July 27th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Oh, no...I think you misunderstand me. I was just starting to brainstorm names.

I think maybe we need to set up a "working group" to brainstorm some potential committee names, market test them, throw them against the wall...see what sticks (I'll give you a clue...the crappiest one sticks best).

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Oh, no...I think you misunderstand me. I was just starting to brainstorm names.

I think maybe we need to set up a "working group" to brainstorm some potential committee names, market test them, throw them against the wall...see what sticks (I'll give you a clue...the crappiest one sticks best).

Proven again by UND's name committee.

GodHelpTheBears
July 27th, 2017, 10:16 PM
I think we should do a study on whether to form a task force to determine if we should form a committee on how to improve the committees in place at the University of North Dakota.

If this effort is successful, we could implement other committees to assist committee communities at other MVFC universities, and perhaps form an "omnittee" consisting of every committee at every Valley university and every committee formed to assist them.

BisonTru
July 27th, 2017, 10:18 PM
I think we should do a study on whether to form a task force to determine if we should form a committee on how to improve the committees in place at the University of North Dakota.

UND already did that. The study was inconclusive.

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 10:19 PM
UND already did that. The study was inconclusive.

Hence the new committee....

IBleedYellow
July 27th, 2017, 10:52 PM
The fact pretty much everyone in the Valley already knows how much UND forms committees for useless reasons has me so jacked.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk