PDA

View Full Version : Ten best FCS stadiums to visit according to NCAA.com's Fans

bonarae
July 24th, 2017, 06:24 PM
The website asked fans in both their FB and Twitter accounts as to how they rank the best stadiums. However, Fargodome is not #1. xconfusedx

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-23/fcs-football-10-best-stadiums-visit-according-fans

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM
The website asked fans in both their FB and Twitter accounts as to how they rank the best stadiums. However, Fargodome is not #1. xconfusedx

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-23/fcs-football-10-best-stadiums-visit-according-fans

I would have called BS if Wa-Griz was NOT #1

By far, one of the best stadiums in all of college football.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 06:37 PM
I would have called BS if Wa-Griz was NOT #1

By far, one of the best stadiums in all of college football.

I call BS on the track and field stadiums masquerading as a football stadium. They might as well put that high school stadium in Huntsville, TX on the list.

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I call BS on the track and field stadiums masquerading as a football stadium. They might as well put that high school stadium in Huntsville, TX on the list.

#notastadium

Don't get BF02 started on that. xlolx

clutchcitykat
July 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I call BS on stadiums owned by the City and not the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDFS
July 24th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Are Roos field and UNI Dome on the list?

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Not sure what 8-1 is. I was blinded when I scrolled down and saw EWU's hideous turf.

Did JSU make it?

Bisonoline
July 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Not sure what 8-1 is. I was blinded when I scrolled down and saw EWU's hideous turf.

Yeah I dont get why thats such good place to play. Wooden bleachers on the visitor side when we were there. They got a red field. BFD.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Yeah I dont get why thats such good place to play. Wooden bleachers on the visitor side when we were there. They got a red field. BFD.

And a track around it....Its a high school stadium with an overstock.com playing turf.

Bisonoline
July 24th, 2017, 06:58 PM
And a track around it....Its a high school stadium with an overstock.com playing turf.

And the town really sucks.

NorthChuckSouth
July 24th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Very shocked we didn't make it on the list

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Only issue I had was Roos.

Schism55
July 24th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Are Roos field and UNI Dome on the list?
Been there, and it's no different than the majority high school stadiums in the country. GTFO here with that ****

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2017, 08:34 PM
It's a stadium list, so I'm not sure how an event center made it

BisonTru
July 24th, 2017, 08:42 PM
It's a stadium list, so I'm not sure how an event center made it

Bitter Rabbits.

Just because it's a nice place and we can't let your girlfriends in because they keep crapping on the floor. xthumbsupx

CHIP72
July 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I have the John Madden approach and say no to domes.

BisonTru
July 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Stadiums are nice if you don't play home games in November and December. xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Easy for John Madden to say when he spent his entire career in San Diego and Oakland.

ngineer
July 24th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Franklin Field is 'cool', and at least the rest rooms have been slightly upgraded, but with over 50,000 empty seats it is somewhat depressing. Princeton's stadium is half the capacity, but clean, convenient with excellent sight lines.

Daytripper
July 24th, 2017, 09:27 PM

We aren't even on the list, yet you are still thinking about us.

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2017, 09:28 PM

You aren't on the list but Penn and EWU are.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 09:38 PM

Yes I know, nightmares tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDFS
July 24th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Been there, and it's no different than the majority high school stadiums in the country. GTFO here with that ****

I know but the UNI Dome - hell put the Dakota Dome at that list then.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 09:47 PM

Why not alerus?

clenz
July 24th, 2017, 10:37 PM
They did no research on the dome.

"It's been revamped over the years, most recently new turf being laid in 09"

Um. That turf has been replaced. We've replaced our old scoreboard with the largest (at the time) video board in the country. It's now third by like a foot. We have a board capable of HD video on the other side of the stadium that is top 30 in the FCS for size. Plus other things...but...oh well. The interlude died, thankfully, about 4 years ago. It was cute the first year, novel the second year, the third year it needed to die but held on, and it was killed halfway through the 4th year

It's a fun place to watch a game when Farley hasn't FUBARed the team into whatever he wants to call last year

KPSUL
July 24th, 2017, 10:43 PM
EWU

Any stadium with weird turf color should be disqualified from the list.

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Bitter Rabbits.

Just because it's a nice place and we can't let your girlfriends in because they keep crapping on the floor. xthumbsupx

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170725/2cc1e5282795972615fc911f155f33df.jpg

Smitty
July 25th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Any stadium with weird turf color should be disqualified from the list.

As well as any domes...

tomq04
July 25th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Still not sure why they would put EWU on there...not a great fan experience in my opinion.

ex189
July 25th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Very shocked we didn't make it on the list I was shocked as well.

PAllen
July 25th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Not a fan of one sided, or domed stadiums, so... big miss. Franklin field is a great stadium, and would be fantastic with a packed in crowd, but that won't happen again, so no to that one as well. But hey, opinions are like a-holes.

ASU33
July 25th, 2017, 11:00 AM
How in the world did we not make it?

RabidRabbit
July 25th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Agreed. The newly redone stadium at ASU is extremely nice. I know SDSU toured to come up with ideas leading to the SDSU Dykhouse stadium.

Thumper 76
July 25th, 2017, 12:22 PM

I think they went off of fan comments on Facebook and twitter, so maybe not enough representation there by your fans?

ST_Lawson
July 25th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Someone felt that the radioactive turf crowd needed representation, I guess.

You guys have a beautiful stadium.

JSUSoutherner
July 25th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I think they went off of fan comments on Facebook and twitter, so maybe not enough representation there by your fans?

Probably this...

or because it's in Montgomery....

Probably the social media thing....

aust42
July 26th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Tubby Raymond field should be included in any top ten 1AA stadium discussions. Especially since we now sell beer inside the 22k capacity stadium.

Catamount87
July 26th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Not a fan of one sided, or domed stadiums, so... big miss. Franklin field is a great stadium, and would be fantastic with a packed in crowd, but that won't happen again, so no to that one as well. But hey, opinions are like a-holes.

One sided or severely sided stadiums seem to be common in FCS. I wonder how many "one-sided" stadiums we have compared to FBS.

PAllen
July 26th, 2017, 09:12 AM
One sided or severely sided stadiums seem to be common in FCS. I wonder how many "one-sided" stadiums we have compared to FBS.

Not many one sided or lopsided fields in FBS. Army has one, Va Tech used to. Can't think of any others.

Iridebikes
July 26th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Still not sure why they would put EWU on there...not a great fan experience in my opinion.

While I like the RED, we really do need to to improve our existing or build a new facility. That being said, I would take watching a game at Roos field over sitting inside a dome anytime of the year. Yes, it gets cold in December but its football and darned nice in Sept, Oct and early Nov. To me, somethings wrong when domes are considered some of the top stadiums.

Henny
July 26th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Tubby Raymond field should be included in any top ten 1AA stadium discussions. Especially since we now sell beer inside the 22k capacity stadium.

The facilities announcement on 11/11 can't get here soon enough. Loooooong overdue. As for the beer, a couple of Dogfishhead 90 min IPAs they sell and you almost don't remember what stadium you're in!

Scrappy94
July 26th, 2017, 01:33 PM
This voting through social media thing is not a good idea, and this list is proof of that. Not everyone has social media, and of course most people are going with a homer vote.

UNIFanSince1983
July 26th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Just because your dome was based off of ours does not make the two equals...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2017, 02:31 PM
While I like the RED, we really do need to to improve our existing or build a new facility. That being said, I would take watching a game at Roos field over sitting inside a dome anytime of the year. Yes, it gets cold in December but its football and darned nice in Sept, Oct and early Nov. To me, somethings wrong when domes are considered some of the top stadiums.

Domes....

Not a stadium.

I've made that plenty clear and they apparently do not know how these things are done with this top 10.

I like NDSU and UNI's domes as far as a dome goes though.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Not many one sided or lopsided fields in FBS. Army has one, Va Tech used to. Can't think of any others.

Georgia State is about to have one after moving into old Turner Field.

http://stadium.gsu.edu/files/2016/11/FOOTBALL-DAY.jpg

RabidRabbit
July 26th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Baseball stadium converted to Football? Heck of a deal for a usually sad football program. Lucky if they ever get to 50% filled.

TheKingpin28
July 26th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Georgia State is about to have one after moving into old Turner Field.

http://stadium.gsu.edu/files/2016/11/FOOTBALL-DAY.jpg

Take out that upper deck. This is going to look horrible with how lopsided it will be, but if they took that out it would look better.

I'd prefer to have the bowl filled, but that open side could be filled in with a rail and made into SRO and it would not be the end of the world.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Take out that upper deck. This is going to look horrible with how lopsided it will be, but if they took that out it would look better.

I'd prefer to have the bowl filled, but that open side could be filled in with a rail and made into SRO and it would not be the end of the world.

It's not as bad in person as this picture makes it out to be.

Once its its finished it will one of the nicest stadiums in the G5.

NorthChuckSouth
July 26th, 2017, 07:40 PM
It's not as bad in person as this picture makes it out to be.

Once its its finished it will one of the nicest stadiums in the G5.

Agreed.. I have a buddy that works in operations there and he sends me pictures a good bit.. it looks better than that rendering

McCowboys
July 26th, 2017, 08:01 PM

As far as I know, this was done by fans voting on Twitter and Facebook, right? I voted through Twitter. Did your fans not vote? In fear of being drummed out of the Cowboy Nation, I voted for Washington-Griz Stadium. I wasn't a homer.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Agreed.. I have a buddy that works in operations there and he sends me pictures a good bit.. it looks better than that rendering

http://resize.tegna-media.com/remote/content.11alive.com/photo/2017/07/21/gsu5_1500665820004_10101555_ver1.0.PNG?preset=wx-large

There are worse stadiums. But as far as one-sided goes, this certainly fits the bill.

DFW HOYA
July 26th, 2017, 08:46 PM

Yulman Stadium:

https://www.structurepoint.com/system/uploads/fae/image/asset/999/Gallery2.jpg

NorthChuckSouth
July 26th, 2017, 08:53 PM
http://resize.tegna-media.com/remote/content.11alive.com/photo/2017/07/21/gsu5_1500665820004_10101555_ver1.0.PNG?preset=wx-large

There are worse stadiums. But as far as one-sided goes, this certainly fits the bill.

Yeah that's the first phase.. they're planning on tearing that part of the stadium behind the short side down and building press box/offices behind it.
They're building a neighborhood around the stadium too.

It's a little unique but I'd go to a game to just to see it in person.

NorthChuckSouth
July 26th, 2017, 08:54 PM
http://www.11alive.com/img/resize/content.11alive.com/photo/2016/06/23/turner%20football%20stadium%20image_1466710934786_ 3349386_ver1.0.PNG?preset=534-401

http://stadium.gsu.edu/files/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-07-25-at-11.23.30-AM.png

A couple more renderings

TheKingpin28
July 26th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Still not a fan of how lopsided it is, but that is just me.

NorthChuckSouth
July 26th, 2017, 09:02 PM

Agreed.. but I guess it's better than the pretty penny they'd be paying to share the new dome with the falcons again

cx500d
July 26th, 2017, 09:03 PM

Just bring your binoculars to see across the track....

Cocky
July 26th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I assume the visiting team will get the big side so there will be a chance it is filled someday?

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 09:10 PM
There aren't 2 better places to see an FCS football game than General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina.

ElCid
July 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM
There aren't 2 better places to see an FCS football game than General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina.

Except half of it is missing. Went over to take a look a few weeks ago. Looks weird to have only half of it standing. Can't wait to get it back whole again.

cx500d
July 26th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Except half of it is missing. Went over to take a look a few weeks ago. Looks weird to have only half of it standing. Can't wait to get it back whole again.

Was it the southern half? Just curious.....

TheKingpin28
July 26th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Agreed.. but I guess it's better than the pretty penny they'd be paying to share the new dome with the falcons again

Close off the top and it would have been something to consider. At least they "saved" Turner field.

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 09:49 PM

The Visitors Side WILL rise again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWGuwtsskU

ElCid
July 26th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Was it the southern half? Just curious.....

Hah. No it is the east side. To be specific, it was the NE side...visitors side. X'd out

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25553&stc=1

Below is a ground view of the empty lot recently. You can see part of the home side on the left.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25554&stc=1

cx500d
July 26th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Hah. No it is the east side. To be specific, it was the NE side...visitors side. X'd out

Below is a ground view of the empty lot recently. You can see part of the home side on the left.

So the yankee side. Understandable. Was that the C. Westin Houck memorial visitor stands?

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 09:57 PM
So the yankee side. Understandable. Was that the C. Westin Houck memorial visitor stands?

Houck is being ****ed up his ass with a pineapple beside lincoln, hitler and mussolini in hades as we speak...

NorthChuckSouth
July 26th, 2017, 09:58 PM

I'm guessing the rebuilt stands are going to be named after Kevin Higgins?

cx500d
July 26th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Houck is being ****ed up his ass with a pineapple beside lincoln, hitler and mussolini in hades as we speak...

There it is! Citdog was conspicuously absent when I was trolling for him when the good judge passed away, thought I'd see if I could get a nibble, but he swallowed it all.

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 10:04 PM
There it is! Citdog was conspicuously absent when I was trolling for him when the good judge passed away, thought I'd see if I could get a nibble, but he swallowed it all.

If the case was brought before the SCOTUS right NOW VMI would have won it 6-3 rather than losing it 5-4 like they did.

cx500d
July 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM
If the case was brought before the SCOTUS right NOW VMI would have won it 6-3 rather than losing it 5-4 like they did.

They declined to hear the citadel case though

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 10:06 PM
I'm guessing the rebuilt stands are going to be named after Kevin Higgins?

NOPE we would refer to it as the "Houston Side"...

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 10:07 PM
They declined to hear the citadel case though

Redundancy Sir

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2017, 11:24 PM

NDSU, Wa-Griz, and JSU.

There's three for you.

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 11:28 PM
NDSU, Wa-Griz, and JSU.

There's three for you.

NDSU plays inside....NOT A STADIUM.

Washington Grizzly isn't NEARLY as cold or loud as it USED to be.

jsu is irrelevant.

neverobeyed
July 27th, 2017, 12:15 AM
They did no research on the dome.

"It's been revamped over the years, most recently new turf being laid in 09"

Um. That turf has been replaced. We've replaced our old scoreboard with the largest (at the time) video board in the country. It's now third by like a foot. We have a board capable of HD video on the other side of the stadium that is top 30 in the FCS for size. Plus other things...but...oh well. The interlude died, thankfully, about 4 years ago. It was cute the first year, novel the second year, the third year it needed to die but held on, and it was killed halfway through the 4th year

It's a fun place to watch a game when Farley hasn't FUBARed the team into whatever he wants to call last year

Also did not debut in '74. UNI was still playing in O.R. Latham in '74.

Jebus, so many errors packed into two short paragraphs.

JSUSoutherner
July 27th, 2017, 06:31 AM
NDSU plays inside....NOT A STADIUM.

Washington Grizzly isn't NEARLY as cold or loud as it USED to be.

jsu is irrelevant.

You didn't say stadium.

Regardless of 'Global Warming' Montana still has a helluva lot nicer stadium than the Citadel with a helluva lot nicer backdrop.

You're just mad our average attendance is higher than your stadium capacity. :D

citdog
July 27th, 2017, 07:04 AM
You didn't say stadium.

Regardless of 'Global Warming' Montana still has a helluva lot nicer stadium than the Citadel with a helluva lot nicer backdrop.

You're just mad our average attendance is higher than your stadium capacity. :D

All 3 places have more than 5 times our # of students. NOBODY goes out of their way to go to your podunk town in Alabama.

JSUSoutherner
July 27th, 2017, 07:45 AM
All 3 places have more than 5 times our # of students. NOBODY goes out of their way to go to your podunk town in Alabama.Note to self: never ask a Citadel grad to solve a math problem.

Sader87
July 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25559&stc=1Best view of I-290 anywhere.... :)

ST_Lawson
July 27th, 2017, 01:02 PM

NDSU, Wa-Griz, and JSU.

There's three for you.

Maybe he just meant it the way I originally read the comment in my head...
"There aren't 2 better places to see an FCS football game in Charleston, SC than General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina."

So, of all the FCS stadiums in Charleston, theirs might just be the best one....might.

SactoHornetFan
July 27th, 2017, 01:04 PM

I like it, has character to it. Stadiums do not need to be rectangular clones.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 27th, 2017, 01:19 PM
http://www.11alive.com/img/resize/content.11alive.com/photo/2016/06/23/turner%20football%20stadium%20image_1466710934786_ 3349386_ver1.0.PNG?preset=534-401

http://stadium.gsu.edu/files/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-07-25-at-11.23.30-AM.png

A couple more renderings

This is a very cool idea..as an urban designer..I love it. I wish more old stadiums could be preserved with outside the box thinking like this.

I also think stadiums that are lopsided are kinda cool. This one could be very very cool. I would use the newly created space for tailgating.

Good job GSU

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2017, 01:30 PM
This is a very cool idea..as an urban designer..I love it. I wish more old stadiums could be preserved with outside the box thinking like this.

I also think stadiums that are lopsided are kinda cool. This one could be very very cool. I would use the newly created space for tailgating.

Good job GSU

I got the same stance on that one.

JSUSoutherner
July 27th, 2017, 01:48 PM
"There aren't 2 better places to see an FCS football game in Charleston, SC than General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina."

So, of all the FCS stadiums in Charleston, theirs might just be the best one....might.
That's one hell of an accolade.

I hereby present The Citadel with the "Your Stadium is Better than Charleston Southern's" Award. Congratulations. :D

ST_Lawson
July 27th, 2017, 01:50 PM

Good job GSU

I feel the same way. They're keeping most of a historic old stadium, doing some interesting things with it, using it as a centerpiece for a project to revitalize the area's Summerhill neighborhood (https://www.summerhillatl.com/), and even building a new baseball stadium for their team that helps commemorate the history of the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium including the place where Hank Aaron hit his 715th HR, breaking Babe Ruth's record.

It'll be a bit lopsided at first, but there's the option to add another 10k seats if/when they need it, which should help even things out quite a bit.

I'll admit that I was one who was making fun of Georgia State when they were sucking up the place at football, dropping money from the ceiling to get people to games, etc. but they've done some really nice things with this project.

All-in-all, I think it looks pretty neat and isn't just your standard "basic G5-level stadium".

http://stadium.gsu.edu

PAllen
July 27th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Good job GSU

I hear you on the old stadium thing. I was pissed when they decided to tear down memorial stadium in Baltimore when Hopkins, Morgan State, and Loyola all decided at the same time to each sink tens of millions (I think it was closer to 100M each) into new stadiums or drastic improvements to their existing ones. Perhaps I'd feel differently if it was a truly historic stadium, I just struggle to even call Turner Field an "old stadium".

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2017, 02:14 PM
BTW, any of the Confederacy type crap comes about on the FCS board will put either or both sides of the issue in grave danger of having the FCS board taken away from the players participating in the donnybrook.

If it's done on the smack board, I got no issue with it. Several of us have had this talk before, we won't have it again this season. It sucks to have the main board here shut off for you so I ask kindly and sincerely that my request be listened to on this matter.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 27th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I love the preservation and than incorporation of any old stadiums or neighborhoods into new development. We live in a country that really doesnt have that old of history.

I find in the private side of development....everyone ALWAAAYS wants brand new development to have that old....French or Italian little downtown feel, and they can never understand why it doesnt feel the exact same as that vacation they took onetime to the south of France.

Its hard to get people to understand that it is impossible to replicate brand new development identically to a 700 year old city that has literally had bombs dropped on it multiple times and soldiers from multiple sides march through its streets....hahahah

Thats why I'm always excited to see little wins like this idea GSU has.

Bisonoline
July 27th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I think it a cool way to re-purpose and old stadium.

NorthChuckSouth
July 27th, 2017, 04:40 PM
That's one hell of an accolade.

I hereby present The Citadel with the "Your Stadium is Better than Charleston Southern's" Award. Congratulations. :D

xrotatehx

ASU33
July 27th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I assume the visiting team will get the big side so there will be a chance it is filled someday?

Tennessee State is their best hope to get that thing filled this season. TSU has a HUGE following in Atlanta and hasn't played in the city since 2010 after they played 18 straight years in The Atlanta Football Classic.

citdog
July 28th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Note to self: never ask a Citadel grad to solve a math problem.

JSU 9959 students. NDSU 14,989 students, Univ of Montana 13,922 students.

The Citadel 2267 Cadets. So WHO has the problem with math again???

citdog
July 28th, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quite funny that a Western Illinois fan is attempting to smack anyone about anything. There are less than 100 people who even know you play sports at all.

cx500d
July 28th, 2017, 10:27 PM
JSU 9959 students. NDSU 14,989 students, Univ of Montana 13,922 students.

The Citadel 2267 Cadets. So WHO has the problem with math again???

This is your most famous student.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hbxIT3P0a_g/maxresdefault.jpg

cx500d
July 28th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Another view, with your esteemed president:

https://hips.htvapps.com/htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/ibmig/cms/image/wyff/38399728-funeral4-jpg.jpg

citdog
July 28th, 2017, 10:37 PM

Actually it is this guy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Johnson_Hagood.jpg

Brigadier General Johnson Hagood.

Or

http://www.hollingscancercenter.org/images/leadership/hollings.jpg

http://img.xooimage.com/files48/6/e/0/stlo4-1--10ec7f8.jpg

That casket covered with the Stars and Stripes is Major Thomas Dry Howie "The Major of St, Lo"

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/history-research/601911d1385525393-major-st-lo-eds1350014441plfrbw.jpg

Thumper 76
July 28th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Quite funny that a Western Illinois fan is attempting to smack anyone about anything. There are less than 100 people who even know you play sports at all.

I guarantee that more people know what WIU is out here than Citadel.....

ST_Lawson
July 29th, 2017, 12:24 AM

Oh, I'm well aware of our situation out here in the middle of nowhere, although in this region, I'm pretty sure that a lot more people would have heard of Western than The Citadel. And if we're getting into "famous alumni", then I know of at least one person (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_R._Stewart) at the Defense Intelligence Agency who is well aware of who we are.

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Oh, I'm well aware of our situation out here in the middle of nowhere, although in this region, I'm pretty sure that a lot more people would have heard of Western than The Citadel. And if we're getting into "famous alumni", then I know of at least one person (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_R._Stewart) at the Defense Intelligence Agency who is well aware of who we are.

Only an ignorant person would actually think that western Illinois was more widely known than The Citadel.

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 12:43 AM
I guarantee that more people know what WIU is out here than Citadel.....

Ignorance is bliss you betcha...

Remarks by President Eisenhower

General Clark, Members of this distinguished audience, and
members of the Corps of Cadets of The Citadel:
I would need scarcely search for words in order to express to you something of the great feeling of honor I have in the receipt of this honor through such a distinguished institution and at the hands of one of my oldest friends in the military services. I am sure that you must feel yourselves how moved I am by the circumstances of this meeting.
Quite naturally, with my background, a ceremony such as this carries me back forty and more years. I see myself marching. Incidentally, I see myself again resenting the presence of VIP's that interrupted some vacation or period of my own and who had me out in full dress, marching for the edification of an audience and of that particular VIP.
There was one redeeming feature, occasionally, about such occasions. Sometimes this VIP had the wit and the knowledge to suggest to the Commander that it might be sort of recompense to the Corps if punishments were remitted. But of course that was in the years gone by, and I am not certain what the custom is now. And of course, I am not really familiar any longer with the rank of the individual that has the right to ask such a great favor. But, moreover, since I am now, by vicarious graduation, a sort of member of this body, whether or not he might consider it effrontery on my part to ask, I wouldn't know.
But passing those things, if I could attempt to leave with you young men a message this morning, it would be one truly of congratulation. I am informed that 95 percent of this graduating class is going into some element of the military services, either Reserves or Active. I suppose that that sort of percentage applies throughout the years. Certainly I have met many of your alumni throughout the years that I served with in the Army.
Now, what I want to speak to you for just a minute is of both the opportunities of men who are going into the Armed Services, Active and Inactive, and something about the scope of the responsibilities and problems that you will meet.
First of all, the opportunities. You are given that most priceless of opportunities: to work directly and specifically for the welfare of the United States of America, and there is no greater honor that is achievable by any American.
And secondly, what I want to say to you is the scope of the understanding you must achieve if you are now to do the task far transcends what your illustrious Commandant or Superintendent and I understood when we were waiting on the plain at West Point forty or more years ago receiving our diplomas and entered into the regular service.
Today, a man to do his duty in the military services must study humanity first of all--what makes humans tick. Not only as regards to your own companies, to be for them the leader and the model, but since you must be one of the principal apostles of peace, you must try to understand other people. You must try to understand the heart of America and how to translate that heart to other peoples. You must know something of economics, and of course your profession will make you know something of law and engineering and many of the sciences; but above all, we come back to it: you must try to understand people.
How else, I ask you, are we to achieve peace in this world, unless there be a magnificent growth of understanding? Mere knowledge is not enough. The highest star man in this Corps of Cadets, unless he strives for understanding and achieves understanding, by which to interpret and to relate among themselves all the facts that he may have learned in science and social science and the humanities, cannot be a leader.
And I know that in this institution just as in all others, we have our devoted educators trying to get over to all of their students that thought: let us strive to understand--understand each other, and our Nation to understand others, and help them to an understanding of ourselves.
I do not mean to say for an instant that all of these opportunities, all of these responsibilities--all of these things--are exclusive to the soldier, to the sailor, to the air man, to the Marine. Of course not. But since the man in the services holds up his right hand and swears to uphold the Constitution of the United States and to serve her to the depths of his ability, through life unto death, it comes home, possibly, to him a little more sharply than it does to others.
Now already, my friends, I have violated my promise that I was not going to keep you here long, but if I could just leave with you this thought: America is bound to watch you. They know you are a graduate of The Citadel. You know they know you have the early phases of your preparation for the highest form of citizenship. They are going to watch you. They will expect much of you.
And for my part, now that I know I am one of your alumni, I know you are going to succeed--each of you.
Thanks again for the great compliment of your review, and I think it would be not out of place to say that my eye since early youth has been accustomed to the sight of good soldiers-neat, soldierly-appearing people that show the evidences of training. I have seen no body that excels this one, and I congratulate you and all that are responsible for it. I congratulate the great State that supports you.
Good luck to you, and thanks again for this great honor.
Note: The President spoke on the Parade Grounds, immediately after receiving

Thumper 76
July 29th, 2017, 12:47 AM
Only an ignorant person would actually think that western Illinois was more widely known than The Citadel.

In the region, it absolutely is. It's not close. Sorry. Doesn't matter if a president spoke there. JFK ate at a restaurant a couple miles from my house. Guess what? It's closed and nobody outside of the county knows that it even existed.

This isn't a matter of some southern honor. It's just reality. Citadel is just as well known outside of its region as most FCS schools are. It likely has a bit more national recognition, but I had never heard of it until I started following FCS. I had heard of VMI though.

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 12:53 AM
In the region, it absolutely is. It's not close. Sorry. Doesn't matter if a president spoke there. JFK ate at a restaurant a couple miles from my house. Guess what? It's closed and nobody outside of the county knows that it even existed.

This isn't a matter of some southern honor. It's just reality. Citadel is just as well known outside of its region as most FCS schools are. It likely has a bit more national recognition, but I had never heard of it until I started following FCS. I had heard of VMI though.

It is nobodies fault but your parents that they raised such an ignorant person.

Sader87
July 29th, 2017, 01:14 AM
JFK had blueberry pancakes at a diner near Holy Cross in 1962.....just sayin'

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 02:00 AM
President Reagan's last speech.

<a data-cke-saved-href="https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4524724/ronald-reagans-citadel-commencement-address-1993" href="https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4524724/ronald-reagans-citadel-commencement-address-1993">
https://www.c-span.org/video/?40754-1/citadel-commencement-address (https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4524724/ronald-reagans-citadel-commencement-address-1993)

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 02:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxVzB0YySks

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 02:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bz2ODwcss

cx500d
July 29th, 2017, 08:26 AM
It is nobodies fault but your parents that they raised such an ignorant person.

Its not his fault, he was too young to remember Shannon Faulkner.

cx500d
July 29th, 2017, 08:28 AM
JFK had blueberry pancakes at a diner near Holy Cross in 1962.....just sayin'

JFK had a wonderful reception and parade here in Dallas and visited our local county hospital that now births more American citizens than anywhere else.....Just sayin'

ST_Lawson
July 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Abraham Lincoln spoke at and stayed overnight in Macomb....so that's a thing.

ST_Lawson
July 29th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Exactly...I'd never heard of the Citadel until I started posting here. If they didn't have a football team, I'm not sure I'd even have heard about them now. Even after becoming aware of the school, I've never heard it mentioned outside of discussions of FCS football.

It's just not something that most people around here have any reason to be aware of unless they happen to know someone who went there or something.