PDA

View Full Version : Previews of FCS versus FBS Matchups - Who has the best chance of an upset

VictoryViking
July 22nd, 2017, 05:33 AM
Interesting Article about Samford Verus Georgia
https://uga.rivals.com/news/2017-opponent-s-preview-samford

Any other match up articles being previewed? Who has the best chance of the upset?

JSUSoutherner
July 22nd, 2017, 06:17 AM
http://m.herosports.com/fcs-football/fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-2017-bzbz

If our offense comes to play and we don't rack up penalties GT could be in for an ugly day. I 100% believe our defense is better than their offense. We have the depth to match up with them on the line. Just have to play well.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 06:24 AM
I think EWU beating Texas Tech is a lock....so maybe its not an upset.

ElCid
July 22nd, 2017, 06:32 AM
Already a thread on this.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?191977-FCS-Upsets-Over-FBS-2017

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 06:33 AM
Jmu has a 50/50 chance vs ecu. This is assuming both teams are close to their end of 2016 forms.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 06:34 AM
Jmu has a 50/50 chance vs ecu. This is assuming both teams are close to their end of 2016 forms.

You better beat them, they were one of the worst teams in fbs last year. If you don't beat them it would be a major choke.

VictoryViking
July 22nd, 2017, 07:08 AM
Already a thread on this.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?191977-FCS-Upsets-Over-FBS-2017

Looking for any new articles or updates..

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 08:16 AM
You better beat them, they were one of the worst teams in fbs last year. If you don't beat them it would be a major choke.

No it wouldn't. Fcs teams are always at a significant disadvantage in these games. We lost our top RB, a large chunk of WR depth, O line depth, and LB depth.
I am confident coach Houston is doing everything in his power to address these issues with transfers and freshman recruiting, but there comes a point where you have to see them produce on the field.

On the flip side, ecu is not overlooking us. They just got a Duke QB transfer who I believe was their starter last year? They have a Clemson D transfer I think. They're showing signs of improvement. They may have also been the best 3 win team in Fbs last year. Many close loses to decent programs. This isn't the dregs of cusa or sbc with a cupcake every week.

We're not ndsu and people need to realize that. Most Fcs teams don't win six consecutive against fbs. We've won five fbs games all time against four programs. We have won two in the last seven seasons though.

I will say, if our defense from the playoffs shows up and warren Marshall and Cardon Johnson immediately fill Abdullah's shoes, we will win.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 08:19 AM
No it wouldn't. Fcs teams are always at a significant disadvantage in these games. We lost our top RB, a large chunk of WR depth, O line depth, and LB depth.
I am confident coach Houston is doing everything in his power to address these issues with transfers and freshman recruiting, but there comes a point where you have to see them produce on the field.

On the flip side, ecu is not overlooking us. They just got a Duke QB transfer who I believe was their starter last year? They have a Clemson D transfer I think. They're showing signs of improvement. They may have also been the best 3 win team in Fbs last year. Many close loses to decent programs. This isn't the dregs of cusa or sbc with a cupcake every week.

We're not ndsu and people need to realize that. Most Fcs teams don't win six consecutive against fbs. We've won five fbs games all time against four programs. We have won two in the last seven seasons though.

I will say, if our defense from the playoffs shows up and warren Marshall and Cardon Johnson immediately fill Abdullah's shoes, we will win.

Oh BS...According to Keepers stats you have more people coming back than most teams....
you are just trying to get a weasely "out" in case you lose....If you lose against those cucks, your season is doomed

KPSUL
July 22nd, 2017, 08:37 AM
The FCS teams with the best chance of winning an FBS game by conference:

Big Sky: EWU vs. Texas Tech
CAA: JMU vs ECU
MVFC: WIU vs Coastal Carolina
OVC: EIU vs NIU
Patriot: Colgate vs Buffalo
SoCon: Wofford @ So. Carolina

Didn't see any games where the FCS team had more than a slight chance of winning in the other conferences.

ASU33
July 22nd, 2017, 08:49 AM

Didn't see any games where the FCS team had more than a slight chance of winning in the other conferences.

I would add Tennessee State over Georgia State

ElCid
July 22nd, 2017, 08:52 AM

I actually think WCU has a better chance of beating Hawaii than Wofford does of beating USC.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 08:58 AM

Who and who?

GodHelpTheBears
July 22nd, 2017, 09:12 AM
I second the EWU over TT call - I think EWU's coaching transition will be smooth for the most part. I also think Mahomes and his hero ball papered over a bunch of cracks at Texas Tech, which says something because they couldn't get to .500.

Texas State is also awful. I know they're playing Houston Baptist, but I see this as another Abilene Christian-New Mexico State thing where the FCS team isn't all that great but the FBS team is among the worst at that level. My senses may be off on this one because I don't know as much about either team, though.

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
Oh BS...According to Keepers stats you have more people coming back than most teams....
you are just trying to get a weasely "out" in case you lose....If you lose against those cucks, your season is doomed

Please. Your winning streak against mediocre at best Midwest fbs teams has led you to be a bit delusional about these games.
Our season won't mean jack squat in either direction if we win or lose. These are barely less pointless games 98% of the time than any given bowl game.
Their sole purpose is an easy win for the fbs team for bowl eligibility and a six figure paycheck for the Fcs team.

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 09:21 AM
I second the EWU over TT call - I think EWU's coaching transition will be smooth for the most part. I also think Mahomes and his hero ball papered over a bunch of cracks at Texas Tech, which says something because they couldn't get to .500.

Texas State is also awful. I know they're playing Houston Baptist, but I see this as another Abilene Christian-New Mexico State thing where the FCS team isn't all that great but the FBS team is among the worst at that level. My senses may be off on this one because I don't know as much about either team, though.

If you are going to use ACU as an example, use the game we won---ACU beat Troy. We endured a close loss to New Mexico State. Time ran out with us on the NMSU 5 yard line driving for the winning TD.

GodHelpTheBears
July 22nd, 2017, 09:23 AM
If you are going to use ACU as an example, use the game we won---ACU beat Troy. We endured a close loss to New Mexico State. Time ran out with us on the NMSU 5 yard line driving for the winning TD.

I apologize - I'll leave it up as an example of ACU ignorance. I used the NMSU game because I have familial ties to the school.

Nevertheless, the Troy game is a much better example.

JSUSoutherner
July 22nd, 2017, 09:27 AM
Maybe if the stars align and a meteor strikes GSUs sideline.

GodHelpTheBears
July 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM

The only thing I know about Georgia State is they now have an organist for football games.

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 09:34 AM

Ga state is supposed to be improved compared to their past standard. They may eek out a bowl in that crappy sun belt.
I think the days of losing to Fcs teams not in the top 25 are finally behind them.

JSUSoutherner
July 22nd, 2017, 09:36 AM
Ga state is supposed to be improved compared to their past standard. They may eek out a bowl in that crappy sun belt.
I think the days of losing to Fcs teams not in the top 25 are finally behind them.
It's not that. I don't trust TSU to deliver.

TSU had enough talent to go undefeated in conference last year and squandered it. They always seem to underperform expectations.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2017, 09:36 AM

ECU traditionally is a pretty good G5 program dating back to the Jeff Blake years. The problem recently was the fact that Ruffin McNeil was a terrible head coach. He set the Pirates back in many ways. Yet, there's still been a decent amount of NFL talent rolling through Greenville. ECU should show significant improvement in the second year under the current staff. JMU can win this game but the odds still favor ECU.

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 09:48 AM
JMU would have a better chance if Vegas hadn't opened with JMU as a 3pt favorite. That's some bulletin board material for the Pirates.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 10:02 AM
Please. Your winning streak against mediocre at best Midwest fbs teams has led you to be a bit delusional about these games.
Our season won't mean jack squat in either direction if we win or lose. These are barely less pointless games 98% of the time than any given bowl game.
Their sole purpose is an easy win for the fbs team for bowl eligibility and a six figure paycheck for the Fcs team.

Oh Puuuuhhhhhhllllleeeeeeaaaze......ECU isn't even a mediocre team....They are god awful. Ranked 102 best in FBS???? Seriously....Keep crawfishing....

(http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-2017-college-football-rankings-east-carolina-0515-story.html)http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-2017-college-football-rankings-east-carolina-0515-story.html

ASU33
July 22nd, 2017, 10:17 AM
It's not that. I don't trust TSU to deliver.

TSU had enough talent to go undefeated in conference last year and squandered it. They always seem to underperform expectations.

Exactly!

KPSUL
July 22nd, 2017, 10:46 AM

Could be, but I just picked the team from the conference that I thought had the best chance. I'd say that JSU has better than a slight chance of beating Georgia Tech too, but EIU played well against some pretty good teams last year and NIU was terrible. In the CAA I'd also say that UNH (Georgia Southern), NOVA (Temple), and Maine (UMass) all have a legitimate chance. Same for UNI (Iowa St.) and Cal Poly (San Jose St).

I'm sure I missed some others as well. But as was posted on the earlier thread on this topic, this could be a banner year for FCS victories.

ASU33
July 22nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
Could be, but I just picked the team from the conference that I thought had the best chance. I'd say that JSU has better than a slight chance of beating Georgia Tech too, but EIU played well against some pretty good teams last year and NIU was terrible. In the CAA I'd also say that UNH (Georgia Southern), NOVA (Temple), and Maine (UMass) all have a legitimate chance. Same for UNI (Iowa St.) and Cal Poly (San Jose St).

I'm sure I missed some others as well. But as was posted on the earlier thread on this topic, this could be a banner year for FCS victories.

I certainly hope so. I get so tired of the local media here in Atlanta referring to FCS football as "D2"

dgtw
July 22nd, 2017, 11:55 AM
http://m.herosports.com/fcs-football/fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-2017-bzbz

If our offense comes to play and we don't rack up penalties GT could be in for an ugly day. I 100% believe our defense is better than their offense. We have the depth to match up with them on the line. Just have to play well.

Tech playing the Monday night before our game while we have a week off will be a big benefit for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 01:13 PM
Tech playing the Monday night before our game while we have a week off will be a big benefit for us.

I think you definitely have a great chance of taking them down

JSUSoutherner
July 22nd, 2017, 02:24 PM

For sure. However, we don't seem to play that well after bye weeks.

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 02:37 PM
For sure. However, we don't seem to play that well after bye weeks.

You are starting to weasle like jmu

RootinFerDukes
July 22nd, 2017, 02:48 PM

We're going to win 223-0. We will set the NCAA margin of victory record that Georgia Tech holds from their 1916 game vs. Cumberland.

Does that sound more realistic?

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 03:39 PM
We're going to win 223-0. We will set the NCAA margin of victory record that Georgia Tech holds from their 1916 game vs. Cumberland.

Does that sound more realistic?

Now you're talking like the fcs champs you are!

malibudude
July 22nd, 2017, 05:56 PM
Cal Poly at San Jose St. The Spartans will have had the whole of august to prepare for the Mustangs, it is a toss up.

JSUSoutherner
July 22nd, 2017, 07:14 PM

GT is a fair bit better than ECU and I wouldn't say we are as good as JMU. Sooo.

And I'm not weasling, go back and look. After bye weeks in the last 3 years we are 5-3 and 4 of the wins are Tennessee Tech (x3) and D2 West Alabama.

We only have three FCS losses since Grass took over and they are all coming off bye weeks.

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2017, 07:35 PM

Colgate is in a rebuilding mode but is now pretty much full scholarship, so an upset is always a possibility.

cx500d
July 23rd, 2017, 07:44 AM
Cal Poly at San Jose St. The Spartans will have had the whole of august to prepare for the Mustangs, it is a toss up.

Yeah, I think poly can win that one if they show up.

cx500d
July 23rd, 2017, 07:45 AM
GT is a fair bit better than ECU and I wouldn't say we are as good as JMU. Sooo.

And I'm not weasling, go back and look. After bye weeks in the last 3 years we are 5-3 and 4 of the wins are Tennessee Tech (x3) and D2 West Alabama.

We only have three FCS losses since Grass took over and they are all coming off bye weeks.

Jmu is just sandbagging. You do have a legit chance.

cx500d
July 23rd, 2017, 07:46 AM
Colgate is in a rebuilding mode but is now pretty much full scholarship, so an upset is always a possibility.

Wouldn't call a win over buffalo an upset.

JSUSoutherner
July 23rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
Jmu is just sandbagging. You do have a legit chance.

I never said we didn't. I'm just saying the odds may not be in our favor.

Either way, if we don't play well it won't matter if they are coming off a short week or not. We will have to play better than we did last year. If we play like we did last year we are gonna get beat bigly.

caribbeanhen
July 23rd, 2017, 10:12 AM
well JMU has beat Va Tech but I'm not coming on here to predict the Hens will, just hope Rocco will get the Hens heads chopped on right

RootinFerDukes
July 23rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
well JMU has beat Va Tech but I'm not coming on here to predict the Hens will, just hope Rocco will get the Hens heads chopped on right

I think VT will be ranked going into your game. They appear to be firing on all cylinders while the hens are very much in rebuilding mode.

PaladinNation
July 23rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
based on history… and I say this with a subtle wink, I would watch Furman vs NCST.

I would prefer this matchup in a year or two but Furman has a history of game planning and playing well against FBS teams.
When Clay was a player at Furman the DINS kicked the Wolfpacks tail.
Series record 4-8-4. in favor Furman. Yep, that's not an error. Furman holds a four win advantage over the Wolfpack, and has won the last two meetings. Granted that was a long time ago.

GodHelpTheBears
July 23rd, 2017, 01:37 PM
based on history… and I say this with a subtle wink, I would watch Furman vs NCST.

I would prefer this matchup in a year or two but Furman has a history of game planning and playing well against FBS teams.
When Clay was a player at Furman the DINS kicked the Wolfpacks tail.
Series record 4-8-4. in favor Furman. Yep, that's not an error. Furman holds a four win advantage over the Wolfpack, and has won the last two meetings. Granted that was a long time ago.

I keep seeing NC State in preseason top 25 polls, and even in someone's playoff top 4. I have no idea why - because they blew out Vanderbilt? They needed Brian Kelly to have an aneurysm and attempt an all-out passing offense in a literal hurricane just to become bowl eligible. They lost to Boston College and ECU. Their game with Louisville is a popular upset special this year because of NC State's supposed strength along the defensive line and because of Louisville's soft O-line - but Louisville won their game last year by 41.

I look at NC State and I see a strong defensive line and mediocre everything else. I can't speak for Furman, I know nothing about them, but I could see a solid FCS team giving them trouble.

NorthChuckSouth
July 23rd, 2017, 08:56 PM
I keep seeing NC State in preseason top 25 polls, and even in someone's playoff top 4. I have no idea why - because they blew out Vanderbilt? They needed Brian Kelly to have an aneurysm and attempt an all-out passing offense in a literal hurricane just to become bowl eligible. They lost to Boston College and ECU. Their game with Louisville is a popular upset special this year because of NC State's supposed strength along the defensive line and because of Louisville's soft O-line - but Louisville won their game last year by 41.

I look at NC State and I see a strong defensive line and mediocre everything else. I can't speak for Furman, I know nothing about them, but I could see a solid FCS team giving them trouble.

They were a good field goal kicker away from beating the national champs last year

GodHelpTheBears
July 23rd, 2017, 09:49 PM
They were a good field goal kicker away from beating the national champs last year

That's a very strong statement. We've cherry picked in both directions, so maybe 7 wins is closest to being an accurate portrayal of the team.

Now I want to record NCSU-USC - I'll be on a trip that weekend, but if they're legit like you say they'll wax the Gamecocks.

(One last note: it seems you feel about NC State the way I feel about TCU this year.)

cx500d
July 23rd, 2017, 09:51 PM
That's a very strong statement. We've cherry picked in both directions, so maybe 7 wins is closest to being an accurate portrayal of the team.

Now I want to record NCSU-USC - I'll be on a trip that weekend, but if they're legit like you say they'll wax the Gamecocks.

(One last note: it seems you feel about NC State the way I feel about TCU this year.)

I don't think tcu will have a very good year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GodHelpTheBears
July 23rd, 2017, 09:56 PM
I don't think tcu will have a very good year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't shake the memory of 2014. Young TCU team struggles, loses a number of close games and brings just about everyone back, going almost completely under the radar in preseason? I don't think Gary Patterson has lost his touch, and while OU, OSU and KSU are all good teams, they all have significant flaws.

I just feel like I've seen this one before.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 23rd, 2017, 10:08 PM
I think VT will be ranked going into your game. They appear to be firing on all cylinders while the hens are very much in rebuilding mode.

VTech played really well at the end of last year. I think they're in line for a big 2017. The Hens are going to get crushed....

caribbeanhen
July 24th, 2017, 06:42 AM
VTech played really well at the end of last year. I think they're in line for a big 2017. The Hens are going to get crushed....

at least the old defeatist coaching staff wont be at the game and Rocco will ensure the Hens dont mail it in as we did against Pitt and UNC

hktribefan
July 24th, 2017, 08:46 AM
CAA has a chance for a few FBS wins. Our chances at UVa hinge on if our new QB (whoever wins the job) settles in and gets comfortable quick.

ysubigred
July 24th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Homer pick!!!! YSU takes out Pitt in an high scoring affair xcoolx

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Homer pick!!!! YSU takes out Pitt in an high scoring affair xcoolx

I doubt it.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 01:12 PM
CAA has a chance for a few FBS wins. Our chances at UVa hinge on if our new QB (whoever wins the job) settles in and gets comfortable quick.

UVA sux, so you should win.

RootinFerDukes
July 24th, 2017, 01:26 PM
If Bronco Mendenhall loses to an FCS in his first two years, he won't be coaching the Hoos in week 2.

NorthChuckSouth
July 24th, 2017, 07:40 PM
http://rs54.pbsrc.com/albums/g86/Maylin1981/Graphics%20comments/6bbxwdi.gif~c200

Lot of questions going into the first game so we'll see how it goes.. Don't know how much Miss State has coming back but they did lose to South Alabama in the first game last year.

ElCid
July 26th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Hey, a new article on the possibilities. And it is from the FCS Wedge no less.

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/fcs-vs-fbs-2017-edition/

Enjoy.

bonarae
July 27th, 2017, 09:20 PM
NCAA.com's Take:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-24/6-potential-fcs-over-fbs-upsets-watch-out-2017

Professor
July 28th, 2017, 09:09 AM
NC A&T vs Charlotte

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 09:17 AM
NC A&T vs Charlotte

I like it! That one should be getting more publicity!

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 28th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I'm confident the AAC gets away with 1 or less FCS loss. JMU-ECU is the best shot.

I know people seem to like 'Nova over Temple (and some might accuse me of being a "homer") but we've won 10 games in back to back years and our talent level is legit thanks to Rhule. I don't expect it to be easy but the odds are still heavily in Temple's favor. A 'Nova win wouldn't be "shocking" but it would be a considerable upset. We play ND before and they get Lehigh so they'll be something to go off of heading into the battle for Philly.

Holy Cross vs UConn and Maine vs UCF would seem to be the other candidates to be at least interesting. Grambling got hit hard by graduation so I don't think they have much of a chance against Tulane. The Green Wave were 4-8 but still beat 8-3 Southern 66-21 last year.

Gangtackle11
July 28th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I'm confident the AAC gets away with 1 or less FCS loss. JMU-ECU is the best shot.

I know people seem to like 'Nova over Temple (and some might accuse me of being a "homer") but we've won 10 games in back to back years and our talent level is legit thanks to Rhule. I don't expect it to be easy but the odds are still heavily in Temple's favor. A 'Nova win wouldn't be "shocking" but it would be a considerable upset. We play ND before and they get Lehigh so they'll be something to go off of heading into the battle for Philly.

Holy Cross vs UConn and Maine vs UCF would seem to be the other candidates to be at least interesting. Grambling got hit hard by graduation so I don't think they have much of a chance against Tulane. The Green Wave were 4-8 but still beat 8-3 Southern 66-21 last year.

Nova has a puncher's chance of beating Temple. Best case would be a Temple win at ND, a week of celebrating the win then overlooking a good FCS team in Villanova. I think if they lose at ND in a decent showing then it will be another $$$ grab loss for a good FCS team. 31-7 loss sounds about right.

Yotes21
July 28th, 2017, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure what Bowling Green has this year but they escaped with a win against UND last season. USD may have a shot for an upset.

cx500d
July 28th, 2017, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure what Bowling Green has this year but they escaped with a win against UND last season. USD may have a shot for an upset.

That was right after the ass kicking they got from Stony Brook.

ASU33
July 28th, 2017, 06:29 PM
NC A&T vs Charlotte

Bingo!

CHIP72
July 28th, 2017, 08:49 PM

Nova has a puncher's chance of beating Temple. Best case would be a Temple win at ND, a week of celebrating the win then overlooking a good FCS team in Villanova. I think if they lose at ND in a decent showing then it will be another $$$ grab loss for a good FCS team. 31-7 loss sounds about right.

I think the Villanova/Temple game will probably go somewhat like Villanova's games with Pitt last year and Boston College in 2013 - strong showing by the Wildcats in the 1st half (they outplayed the Panthers in the first 30 minutes last year but it didn't show up on the scoreboard), but the Owls asserting dominance in the 2nd half. I think Temple wins by at least 13-14 points, but it won't be an easy win for the Owls. The real wild-cards are both teams' new head coaches; both have big shoes to fill.

Incidentally, I intend to attend this game; I'll be sporting a Temple jersey but will wear one of my Big Five T-shirts underneath it. (I'd usually wear a Temple T-shirt underneath the jersey if I was rooting for the Owls.) The last few times the Mayor's Cup game has been held, it has been on a Thursday or Friday night, so I'm glad this game is on a Saturday.

ytownchief22
July 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Pitt just suspended 3 players and dismissed 1 for failing drug tests. 2 of the players were full time starters. Should make the game for the Guins a little more interesting...